PDA

View Full Version : Not A Great Performance, But Through, Let's Get Refocused On League

Dashing Bob S
04-03-2017, 04:59 PM
We played better in patches than we did last 70 v Dunfermline and full 90 v St Mirren. Still not particularly convincing against a dogged but uninspired 10-man Ayr.

Let's get ready to compete and really up our game against United, who will see it as a bit opportunity to reboot their challenge and drag us back into the pack.

A good performance there essential, a defeat unthinkable.

Mr White
04-03-2017, 05:01 PM
It's good to be able to put the cup on the back burner for a good few weeks now and concentrate fully on clinching automatic promotion.

WS Hibs
04-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Couldn't agree more, see who we get in the draw tomorrow, and then we've got 7 league games to put all of our attention on before the semi final. Bring them on!

Danderhall Hibs
04-03-2017, 05:04 PM
It's good to be able to put the cup on the back burner for a good few weeks now and concentrate fully on clinching automatic promotion.

:agree: need to make sure we've got a 3 week gap between the league finishing and the cup final this season.

--------
04-03-2017, 05:04 PM
We played better in patches than we did last 70 v Dunfermline and full 90 v St Mirren. Still not particularly convincing against a dogged but uninspired 10-man Ayr.

Let's get ready to compete and really up our game against United, who will see it as a bit opportunity to reboot their challenge and drag us back into the pack.

Absolutely, Bob.

I don't like hearing the Cup spoken of as 'the icing on the cake' as if it weren't really important, but we really do need to go up this year, and we need to be ready and prepared to stay up. The quicker we can settle the League in a positive manner the quicker everyone at the club can start preparing for next season.

If we can raise our game at Tannadice (and hopefully get a victory?), that would go a long way towards that goal.

It's being said that 'Hibs can only throw it away', but sometimes I wonder if complacency has set in and that's what some players are liable to do ...

biotech
04-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Win always good for confidence. We really should kick on from here. Important not to be distracted - keep your focus on the league.

calumhibee1
04-03-2017, 05:11 PM
Thought we played fairly well to be honest. They scored a raker, other than that they never threatened once and we could have had another couple.

Pretty Boy
04-03-2017, 05:13 PM
Thought we played well today, certainly far more enjoyable than a lot of games this season.

Would be nice to get 2 or 3 wins on the spin in the league now so we can really enjoy the semi final knowing the league business is in hand.

alihibs1
04-03-2017, 05:15 PM
I actually thought we were brilliant today. It should of been about 9. They didn't troubled at all

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

500miles
04-03-2017, 05:23 PM
I think we were good with some excellent patches in first half and poor until Cummings was subbed in the second.

Jason's attitude was rotten second half, looked petulant and as if he was more concerned with arguing with the bench. Did he pick up a knock?

hibbydog
04-03-2017, 05:28 PM
I think we were good with some excellent patches in first half and poor until Cummings was subbed in the second.

Jason's attitude was rotten second half, looked petulant and as if he was more concerned with arguing with the bench. Did he pick up a knock?

There have been a few occasions where this has happened this season. His body language is poor and his general whinging lets him down at times.

Great player, and because of his goals he's worth his weight in gold, but he needs to improve his attitude.

RamYer1902
04-03-2017, 05:32 PM
I thought we were good today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Trips
04-03-2017, 05:33 PM
I actually thought we were brilliant today. It should of been about 9. They didn't troubled at all

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That has though been the issue we have had the last 2 seasons "it should have been". At least we got 3 today but the should ofs need to turn into have done.

Albanian Hibs
04-03-2017, 05:35 PM
I actually thought we played really well today. At 2-1 we were still the better team and Ayr didnt look like scoring apart from that wonder goal. 2-1, or even 3-1 flattered Ayr.

B.H.F.C
04-03-2017, 05:40 PM
Game should have been killed earlier but I thought the performance was much better. More chances created and moved the ball better.

Sending off didn't change anything really as they just sat with twin banks of 4.

Dashing Bob S
04-03-2017, 05:40 PM
Anything after the Paisley no-show would have been an improvement. We looked as if we actually cared and tried to play football. However we laboured against a pretty poor side who were 10 men most of the game. If they'd kept 11 on the park, they might have asked more questions of us. Confidence still doesn't look high, but that result today will help.

Good to see some personal performances heading in the right direction again, McGinn and Shinnie were better today, and Gray looked reasonably reliable again after his recent blip, and Stevenson did okay. Some of the others give cause for concern. As Lennon said, "you can only beat them with the same stick so many times".

However, we'll need to do a bit better against Dundee United, who will be fired up, as they are probably drinking in the last chance saloon for the flag. If they win, the momentum probably swings right back in their favour and they press on. We can't let that happen.

biotech
04-03-2017, 05:44 PM
The players need to be "turn up" for the Dundee Utd. game. It's more important than the semi.

Tyler Durden
04-03-2017, 05:48 PM
I thought we were good today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah we were. Unfortunately our support were back to panic stations today and really don't help when people moan any time we pass backwards.

We should've been more clinical but we had some excellent moves and Ayr didn't trouble us at all.

Cummings and Holt were poor but otherwise solid performance

GreenCastle
04-03-2017, 05:49 PM
I thought we played well !!

Everyone was solid and ok Ayr weren't great but felt we were comfortable.

Ayr did nothing 2nd half and their goal was a wonder goal.

I thought Holt was outstanding and we could have had more but job done.

Enjoyable afternoon - interesting game and good half time entertainment!!

blackpoolhibs
04-03-2017, 05:51 PM
How we play in the cup games is irrelevant, as long as we win. And to be fair, i think that applies to the rest of the games we play in the league this season too.

hibbysam
04-03-2017, 05:53 PM
We scored twice In the first ten minutes. You don't have to be convincing after that, you just need to be professional which we were. They scored a screamer and had zero other chances. That's as good a performance as you can expect in the Quarter Final of a cup.

northstandhibby
04-03-2017, 05:53 PM
Decent performance today and won comfortably in the end up. Super John was much better today than midweek and overall a good team performance with a brilliant result to send us into the semis again!!

:thumbsup:

glory glory

04-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Agree with general consensus we played well today. Started fairly well again, which was good to see. Lost our way a little after they scored and had a man sent off. Our play was a bit too ponderous at times and putting them under pressure and getting an early 2nd half goal would have made life so much easier. Ayr didn't show much all day though and we could have easily won by a couple more.

6 full days rest now until Utd away. Avoid defeat there and I'll feel much more confident we'll win this league.

theonlywayisup
04-03-2017, 05:59 PM

I thought Holt was outstanding and we could have had more but job done.

Opinions, eh!!

Brightside
04-03-2017, 06:02 PM

I actually thought it was a very decent performance today. A couple of players continue to let themselves down with effort levels, and Jason needs to have a serious word with himself. Having a strop in the middle of the game is simple not acceptable. Holt and McGinn were top class today and Efe was a joy to watch at times. I still think we should have played Martin rather than Bartley, but I'm happy the performance over all.

GreenCastle
04-03-2017, 06:04 PM
Opinions, eh!!

Holt was good today - like the Derby game he showed his experience and quality and was involved in a lot of our attacking play.

Albanian Hibs
04-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Yeah we were. Unfortunately our support were back to panic stations today and really don't help when people moan any time we pass backwards.

We should've been more clinical but we had some excellent moves and Ayr didn't trouble us at all.

Holt was my motm by miles. Thought he was outstanding.

hibbysam
04-03-2017, 06:10 PM
I actually thought it was a very decent performance today. A couple of players continue to let themselves down with effort levels, and Jason needs to have a serious word with himself. Having a strop in the middle of the game is simple not acceptable. Holt and McGinn were top class today and Efe was a joy to watch at times. I still think we should have played Martin rather than Bartley, but I'm happy the performance over all.

Bartley done what Bartley does, which resulted in them having one shot the whole game which happened to be a screamer from 25 yards.

GreenCastle
04-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Bartley done what Bartley does, which resulted in them having one shot the whole game which happened to be a screamer from 25 yards.

Bartley also very good and we needed him today - win ball and give it.

BS44
04-03-2017, 06:14 PM
Although it was a similar scoreline Ayr gave us a better game than the dogs managed the other week :whistle:

Andy74
04-03-2017, 06:17 PM
Holt was my motm by miles. Thought he was outstanding.

Yep. Was amazed Shinnie got man of the match. Madness.

DaveF
04-03-2017, 06:18 PM
We were great for opening 15 and the move in the 2nd half which ended with Boyles effort being blocked, was sublime, but for large parts I thought we were too slow and laborious.

Happy with the win but would love to see the team click as one and put the opposition away.

Cat Stanton
04-03-2017, 09:13 PM

Couldn't be there today, but was there on Wednesday and it was dismal. So what was the difference today - just more effort? Or did they have some proper tactics other than lumping high balls?