PDA

View Full Version : Tom Killen, Paralympian ..a HIbby?

Forza Fred
04-03-2017, 05:02 AM
Just looking through a list of Edinburgh born sportspeople and saw the name of Paralympian Tom Killen.

Wondered if it might be the same Tam Killen I knew and played fitba with in the Craigentinny Primary School team all those years ago...the age would be about right.

The Tam Killen I knew then was a fellow HIbby and lived in Lochend.

Anybody know ?

CityRoller
04-03-2017, 11:27 AM
Just looking through a list of Edinburgh born sportspeople and saw the name of Paralympian Tom Killen.

Wondered if it might be the same Tam Killen I knew and played fitba with in the Craigentinny Primary School team all those years ago...the age would be about right.

Anybody know ?

Hi FF
Tom (Killin) is trying to register on here. He's getting old so it may take a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jumbo
04-03-2017, 11:33 AM

Anybody know ?

I worked with with Tam, around 30 years ago, a good Hibby 👍

Forza Fred
04-03-2017, 04:10 PM
I worked with with Tam, around 30 years ago, a good Hibby 👍

Could possibly be the same guy then....lived in Lochend when we were at school together....always remember him not understanding why I would take penalties with my left foot instead of my right.....

Must be over 50 odd years since I saw him now......

Leith's finest
04-03-2017, 04:32 PM
He used to work at caledonian distilary at haymarket till 1989 in the gatehouse, was very gd at table tennis

Forza Fred
04-03-2017, 05:32 PM
Hi FF
Tom (Killin) is trying to register on here. He's getting old so it may take a while!

And yeah,..its KillIN, not En, dunno how I managed to stuff that up.

If anyone sees him say hello...he may or may not remember me, given its been 50 odd years.

CityRoller
04-03-2017, 07:52 PM
And yeah,..its KillIN, not En, dunno how I managed to stuff that up.

If anyone sees him say hello...he may or may not remember me, given its been 50 odd years.

I will FF.

Jumbo
04-03-2017, 08:56 PM
He used to work at caledonian distilary at haymarket till 1989 in the gatehouse, was very gd at table tennis

That's where I worked with him, maybe seen him a couple of times after distillery closed, but not for at least 20 years

StevieT
04-03-2017, 10:59 PM

I worked with him there too.Excellent table tennis player

Leith's finest
06-03-2017, 11:00 AM
If i remember correctly there was far more hibs fans than hearts that worked there, just remembered was there not 3 brothers called dodey dick, alec dick an specky dick all hearts fans?

Jumbo
06-03-2017, 11:44 AM
If i remember correctly there was far more hibs fans than hearts that worked there, just remembered was there not 3 brothers called dodey dick, alec dick an specky dick all hearts fans?
Remember Dodey and Sandy Dick, Dodeys son, who worked there too, was definitely a Hibby

WeeRussell
06-03-2017, 12:15 PM
Could possibly be the same guy then....lived in Lochend when we were at school together....always remember him not understanding why I would take penalties with my left foot instead of my right.....

Must be over 50 odd years since I saw him now......

Were you left footed? Otherwise I'd be wondering too :greengrin

Forza Fred
06-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Were you left footed? Otherwise I'd be wondering too :greengrin

Yep left footed...at that tender age Tam thought everybody was automatically right footed like him!

WeeRussell
06-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Yep left footed...at that tender age Tam thought everybody was automatically right footed like him!

Haha I see! :aok:

H113EE5
06-03-2017, 02:56 PM

Played against him, many times. He played for Thistle Foundation and Jack Kane.

TK10TAM
06-03-2017, 03:30 PM
Hi guys I'm officially in the Forum. Obviously I don't know your real names but you know me correctly by your memories of me.

greenlex
06-03-2017, 03:55 PM
Hi guys I'm officially in the Forum. Obviously I don't know your real names but you know me correctly by your memories of me.

Welcome aboard Tam

TK10TAM
06-03-2017, 04:02 PM
Remember Dodey and Sandy Dick, Dodeys son, who worked there too, was definitely a Hibby

Yeah I remember them, used to see dodey & sandy at the Christmas dinners but I've not been for a few years

Leith's finest
06-03-2017, 04:32 PM
Yeah I remember them, used to see dodey & sandy at the Christmas dinners but I've not been for a few years

Do you still see mitch? Sure he stayed down your way, mind you that was 25 year ago

TK10TAM
06-03-2017, 06:55 PM
Do you still see mitch? Sure he stayed down your way, mind you that was 25 year ago

He used to go to and probably still does to the Artisan

StevieT
06-03-2017, 08:02 PM

My old man worked there too...Jim Turnbull...worked in the lab. I worked there for a couple of years too. Spent some time in the spirit store and was in the first aid team

TK10TAM
06-03-2017, 08:09 PM
My old man worked there too...Jim Turnbull...worked in the lab. I worked there for a couple of years too. Spent some time in the spirit store and was in the first aid team

Yeah I remember your dad, I'm in touch with Alistair Ferguson he worked with your dad

StevieT
06-03-2017, 08:33 PM
Yeah I remember your dad, I'm in touch with Alistair Ferguson he worked with your dad

He did indeed

Jumbo
06-03-2017, 09:00 PM
He did indeed

the spirit store, thats where Tam McCaw the mad cooper worked

jabis
06-03-2017, 09:05 PM
What a great thread:aok:

Billy Whizz
06-03-2017, 09:06 PM

Welcome

StevieT
06-03-2017, 09:18 PM

Willie McCraw...aka hee haw McCraw. Where did you work mate?

Jumbo
06-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Willie McCraw...aka hee haw McCraw. Where did you work mate?

Ah Willie wasn't far off !

I was in the cooperage, that was an eye opener to a young lad

Forza Fred
06-03-2017, 11:48 PM
Hi Tam,

If you are the Tam I remember younwent to Craigentinny primary.......where we played along side guys called, Foley, Henry, Sutherland etc...

I'v never forgiven you for 'pinch in' my goal when I hit a net bound shot in a midweek game against Lismore(?) primary.

My angular ..drive was rolling towards the net past the goalie when you ran in and hit it in a foot from the line..

'Might have hit the post' was your reasoning.......and of course, you were right....but at the time I was like Jason Cummings no getting to take a free kick....☺️

Cassells I think was our teacher..

Mind you, if it's no you, then this is all gibberish!

G B Young
07-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Hi Tam,

If you are the Tam I remember younwent to Craigentinny primary.......where we played along side guys called, Foley, Henry, Sutherland etc...

I'v never forgiven you for 'pinch in' my goal when I hit a net bound shot in a midweek game against Lismore(?) primary.

My angular ..drive was rolling towards the net past the goalie when you ran in and hit it in a foot from the line..

'Might have hit the post' was your reasoning.......and of course, you were right....but at the time I was like Jason Cummings no getting to take a free kick....☺️

Sounds like Jimmy O'Rourke knocking home number 6 by thumping home Pat Stanton's net-bound shot in the 7-0 game...

Forza Fred
07-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Sounds like Jimmy O'Rourke knocking home number 6 by thumping home Pat Stanton's net-bound shot in the 7-0 game...

Yep...except I think the game was played out Bingham way, and my shot preceded Jimmy's at Tynecastle by about 11 or 12 years?

Paddy must have been watching Tam from the sideline that day........

TK10TAM
07-03-2017, 03:02 PM

Was it not willy macgraw

TK10TAM
07-03-2017, 03:05 PM
Hi Tam,

'Might have hit the post' was your reasoning.......and of course, you were right....but at the time I was like Jason Cummings no getting to take a free kick....[emoji5]

Yeah it's me sorry for poaching your goal haha. Remember those names you said was it that long ago

Jumbo
07-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Was it not willy macgraw

Yeah realised that, Willy was some boy, the apprentices used to have to go into help him from time to time !

RamblingJack
07-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Hi Tam,did you go to Norton Park Secondary?.......think Walter Galbraith was the Hibs manager.

TK10TAM
07-03-2017, 06:07 PM
Hi Tam,did you go to Norton Park Secondary?.......think Walter Galbraith was the Hibs manager.

Yeah Norton Park played for them as well

StevieT
07-03-2017, 08:18 PM
Yeah realised that, Willy was some boy, the apprentices used to have to go into help him from time to time !

Aye, but mind, he had a difficult job. None of this fixing barrels nonsense. He had to put an oak bung in a barrel.

Forza Fred
08-03-2017, 12:20 AM
Yeah it's me sorry for poaching your goal haha. Remember those names you said was it that long ago

There was a guy called Legget who was the star of the team though...😋

TK10TAM
08-03-2017, 09:28 AM
There was a guy called Legget who was the star of the team though...[emoji39]

Nah your thinking of me haha