PDA

View Full Version : Old Scottish fitba grounds

Hibernia&Alba
03-03-2017, 06:50 PM
Just watching some You Tube highlights of various Scottish games from the 80s and 90s and noticing some of the unusual features of stadia back in the day.

Kilbowie - what was that bizarre office block type thing behind one of the goals all about?

Broomfield - the wee pavilion in the corner which looked liked something form a cricket ground.

Old Celtic Park - what a dump that was, with the terracing behind each goal about a mile from the pitch.

Some of that charm has been lost in the era of identikit stadia, but some of the old grounds were proper middens.

Waxy
03-03-2017, 07:16 PM
Was Kilbowie not one of the first all seated grounds? Strange wee ground that one. Must be a supermarket now.

Lago
03-03-2017, 07:19 PM
Albion Rover's, Cliffton Hill is a cracker & St. Johnston's Muirton was huge.

HibbyDave
03-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Brockville ......wi the wee bridge .🥊🥊

tamig
03-03-2017, 07:31 PM
Just watching some You Tube highlights of various Scottish games from the 80s and 90s and noticing some of the unusual features of stadia back in the day.

Kilbowie - what was that bizarre office block type thing behind one of the goals all about?

Broomfield - the wee pavilion in the corner which looked liked something form a cricket ground.

Old Celtic Park - what a dump that was, with the terracing behind each goal about a mile from the pitch.

Some of that charm has been lost in the era of identikit stadia, but some of the old grounds were proper middens.
I'm sure the thing behind the goals at Kilbowie was actually a social club. They had to draw the curtains once the game kicked of due to the archaic licensing laws.

greenlad
03-03-2017, 07:32 PM
Tynecastle with its Dickensian Main stand, smelling of brewery p1sh and signs warning people to be aware of pickpockets.

It's a shame that monument to the past is long-gone eh?!

NthCarolinaHibs
Was Kilbowie not one of the first all seated grounds? Strange wee ground that one. Must be a supermarket now.Talked to a boy from through that way and he said it was Lidl now...

Fuzzywuzzy
Muirton park was my first ever away game as a boy. I remember there was a clock somewhere. I was about 7 at the time so could be making that up

tamig
03-03-2017, 07:35 PM
This Youtube channel has some great footage from grounds as they were around late 70s/early 80s.

Here's the ER link -

https://youtu.be/IrskhxNm4HY

Keith_M
03-03-2017, 07:35 PM
Albion Rover's, Cliffton Hill is a cracker & St. Johnston's Muirton was huge.

Muirton was a nice stadium, but huge? Nah.

Celtc Park was the biggest midden around.

Fuzzywuzzy
03-03-2017, 07:37 PM
On the flip side cathkin park could get a new lease of life.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/15117261.Herald_View__A_grounded_approach_that_can _still_reach_for_the_sky/

Alfiembra
03-03-2017, 07:41 PM

The pitch at Muirton was reputed to be the biggest in the country i.e. the maximum size permitted under the rules.

Alfiembra
03-03-2017, 07:52 PM

The pitch at Muirton was reputed to be the biggest in the country i.e. the maximum size permitted under the rules.

Pretty Boy
03-03-2017, 07:57 PM
I remember being crammed into the old terracing at Celtic Park for the 93 LC final. No way that was safe that day.

Not so fond memories of a midweek defeat standing on the old terracing at Starks Park and a Saturday humping at Brockville. Vaguely remember the pre development Rugby Park. Ochilview for a SC tie (I daresay that hasn't changed much). The old Bayview for a pre season friendly, Kilbowie in the SC (when Clydebank were sponsorsed by Wet Wet Wet), Boghead in the adventure season.

If it was possible find a way to find a happy medium between some of these old grounds and some of the bland lego stadium there is now it would be a winner.

tamig
03-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Muirton Park

https://youtu.be/kckfaqTy6sw

Peevemor
03-03-2017, 07:58 PM
One I always found strange id the main stand at Motherwell, which stops about 20yds short of it's roof structure (apparently due to a land dispute when it was built in the 60s).

Fuzzywuzzy
03-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Are you still allowed to use square posts or do they have to be round?

Hibernia&Alba
03-03-2017, 08:02 PM
One I always found strange id the main stand at Motherwell, which stops about 20yds short of it's roof structure (apparently due to a land dispute when it was built in the 60s).

Aye, built with the money received for Ian St John to Liverpool, but housing at one end??

jonny
03-03-2017, 08:09 PM
Are you still allowed to use square posts or do they have to be round?

From the SFA rules:

Goals
A goal must be placed on the centre of each goal line.

A goal consists of two vertical posts equidistant from the corner flagposts and joined at the top by a horizontal crossbar. The goalposts and crossbar must be made of approved material. They must be square, rectangular, round or elliptical in shape and must not be dangerous.

The distance between the inside of the posts is 7.32m (8yds) and the distance from the lower edge of the crossbar to the ground is 2.44m (8ft).

The position of the goalposts in relation to the goal line must be in accordance with the graphics.

The goalposts and the crossbar must be white and have the same width and depth, which must not exceed 12cm (5ins).

If the crossbar becomes displaced or broken, play is stopped until it has been repaired or replaced in position. If it can not be repaired the match must be abandoned. A rope or any flexible or dangerous material may not replace the crossbar. Play is restarted with a dropped ball.

Nets may be attached to the goals and the ground behind the goal; they must be properly supported and must not interfere with the goalkeeper.

where'stheslope
03-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Old Hampden was a real dump, with shale terracing held back with planks of wood.
I was there for the 0-0 Scotland England game with 137,000 in the ground back around 1968-70.
We were crammed in like sardines and it was totally unsafe, any goal mouth action caused a sway, and if not for the barriers hundreds could have been injured at the least!!!

ancient hibee
03-03-2017, 08:32 PM

Correct.I first saw John Brownlie there.He came on as an early sub for Chris Shevlane and laid on two goals.Couldn't believe my eyes.

Joe6-2
03-03-2017, 08:34 PM
Tynecastle with its Dickensian Main stand, smelling of brewery p1sh and signs warning people to be aware of pickpockets.

It's a shame that monument to the past is long-gone eh?!

😂😂

Lago
03-03-2017, 08:34 PM
Correct, glad someone else remembers, it was a huge pitch.:agree:

Lago
03-03-2017, 08:37 PM
Old Hampden was a real dump, with shale terracing held back with planks of wood.
I was there for the 0-0 Scotland England game with 137,000 in the ground back around 1968-70.
We were crammed in like sardines and it was totally unsafe, any goal mouth action caused a sway, and if not for the barriers hundreds could have been injured at the least!!!
Rember that, couldn't move my arms.

MartinfaePorty
03-03-2017, 08:38 PM
I used to like the old Celtic Park. Terracing under cover meant no matter how small the away support was, the sound was bounced back down and it appeared that you were always out singing the home support.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cardinal G
03-03-2017, 08:39 PM
This Youtube channel has some great footage from grounds as they were around late 70s/early 80s.

Here's the ER link -

https://youtu.be/IrskhxNm4HY

Loved that, thanks for putting it up. 1980 was the year I first started going with my best mate Chink. Looks bleak but some happy memories especially as a 14 year looking up at Shaws Heights thinking how great it must have been in its heyday. Remember beating hearts in a Tom Hart shield match 1980 or 81 and was a low crowd all gathered towards the Dunbar Road end and when we scored the winner late on everyone exploded with joy and danced all along the east. Happy memories but changing times meant we had to change with it hence the wonderful new stadium we now have which as we have seen recently can produce the atmosphere of days gone by.

glenn6270
03-03-2017, 09:12 PM
Old love street in the away shed was quality

03-03-2017, 09:40 PM
On the flip side cathkin park could get a new lease of life.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/15117261.Herald_View__A_grounded_approach_that_can _still_reach_for_the_sky/

Found myself in Glasgow about this time last year and passed the sign so stopped the car and had a wee look around and took some pics for my dad who told me he used to travel through.

Quite a strange feeling standing on the old terrace that was overgrown with trees and bushes.

Lancs Harp
03-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Scotland and England locked horns for the first time at the West of Scotland cricket ground, is there still a cricket ground or sports ground there now?

tamig
03-03-2017, 09:49 PM
Loved that, thanks for putting it up. 1980 was the year I first started going with my best mate Chink. Looks bleak but some happy memories especially as a 14 year looking up at Shaws Heights thinking how great it must have been in its heyday. Remember beating hearts in a Tom Hart shield match 1980 or 81 and was a low crowd all gathered towards the Dunbar Road end and when we scored the winner late on everyone exploded with joy and danced all along the east. Happy memories but changing times meant we had to change with it hence the wonderful new stadium we now have which as we have seen recently can produce the atmosphere of days gone by.
79/80 was my first season home and away. We used to stand right in front of the old TV scaffold gantry in the east. Used to take an age getting to our position from when we came through the turnstiles. Up hundreds of stairs then half-way down the giant terrace on the other side. Glad I was around to see the full transition of the ground from how it was then to what we have now.

car1973
03-03-2017, 09:53 PM
Huge steep terracing at Tannadice. Behind the goals in the rain at Tynecastle after Archie scored. The old rugby park terracing seemed miles away from the pitch. Mind us scoring 3 goals in the first 10 minutes of the second half there in a game in the early 90s. Most mental celebration ever for me though was when we equalised at the old Parkhead in the lc final in 93. Bedlam. Lost everyone I was at the game with.

monktonharp
03-03-2017, 10:02 PM
From the SFA rules:

Goals
A goal must be placed on the centre of each goal line.

A goal consists of two vertical posts equidistant from the corner flagposts and joined at the top by a horizontal crossbar. The goalposts and crossbar must be made of approved material. They must be square, rectangular, round or elliptical in shape and must not be dangerous.

The distance between the inside of the posts is 7.32m (8yds) and the distance from the lower edge of the crossbar to the ground is 2.44m (8ft).

The position of the goalposts in relation to the goal line must be in accordance with the graphics.

The goalposts and the crossbar must be white and have the same width and depth, which must not exceed 12cm (5ins).

If the crossbar becomes displaced or broken, play is stopped until it has been repaired or replaced in position. If it can not be repaired the match must be abandoned. A rope or any flexible or dangerous material may not replace the crossbar. Play is restarted with a dropped ball.

Nets may be attached to the goals and the ground behind the goal; they must be properly supported and must not interfere with the goalkeeper.I never thought the height of the crossbar was actually 8ft. I somehow thought it was a bit lower than that. does somehow remind me of a weather report I heard on the wireless today though for the Alps. all dwarfs under 4ft high are warned to stay indoors as 5ft snow drifts are expected.

Pete
03-03-2017, 10:23 PM

Lots of these old grounds shared the same design as I think we were intended as multi-use venues, incorporating speedway or greyhounds or something.

Hampden, Ibrox, Parkhead, Rugby park, Cathkin Park...all the same. I wonder if it was a West coast thing.

Bishop Hibee
03-03-2017, 10:31 PM
First away game I can remember was at East Fife's old Bayview ground. Terracing behind the goals. Alan Gordon headed the winner.

HappyAsHellas
03-03-2017, 10:49 PM
Shawfield was a tip - trying to watch a game of football with the greyhound track and lights all the way round. Arbroath with the guy in the rowing boat to collect the ball when it inevitably went over the wall. Ibrox was horrific before it gone done up and funnily enough didn't improve.

NAE NOOKIE
03-03-2017, 10:50 PM
Like somebody else said the old shed at Love street was a bit mental, but not as good as the shed at Partick which I loved, even though we never bloody seemed to win there. Tannadice was steep steep steep and as everybody who was there seems to recall the 93 League cup final at Parkhead was nothing short of an accident waiting to happen we were so crammed in.

Looking at the wee film of Easter Road it is just a million times better these days, no matter how nostalgic folk get for the old days getting soaked to the bone on that huge open terrace wasn't fun.

magpie1892
03-03-2017, 10:54 PM
Correct.I first saw John Brownlie there.He came on as an early sub for Chris Shevlane and laid on two goals.Couldn't believe my eyes.

Was at Uni with Chris Shevlane's daughter, Laura. easy 9/10, and she was a decent looker as well.

gordonced18
03-03-2017, 11:24 PM
Anfield at Stirling was a strange wee place.... I remember the players coming out of what looked like someone's house and up a path to the pitch.....Also a cup tie at Glebe Park when the mud was ankle deep and the half time entertainment was guys throwing their mates into the hedge...We scored two late goals to win 2-0

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

KeithTheHibby
03-03-2017, 11:44 PM
Some of the grounds visited before revamping;
Hampden
Rugby park
Kilbowie
Fir Park
Firhill
Tynie
Parkhead
Love Street
Brockville

Forza Fred
04-03-2017, 03:59 AM
Shawfield was a tip - trying to watch a game of football with the greyhound track and lights all the way round. Arbroath with the guy in the rowing boat to collect the ball when it inevitably went over the wall. Ibrox was horrific before it gone done up and funnily enough didn't improve.

On my only visit to Shawfield rolled up in the Carlton in early 70s bus to find one of the main exit doors open.....crowd was wrongly reported by about 50 odd that day!

Forza Fred
04-03-2017, 04:03 AM

Saw Sir Paddy Stanton sent off there...t'was a long walk indeed.

Dashing Bob S
04-03-2017, 04:21 AM
Like somebody else said the old shed at Love street was a bit mental, but not as good as the shed at Partick which I loved, even though we never bloody seemed to win there. Tannadice was steep steep steep and as everybody who was there seems to recall the 93 League cup final at Parkhead was nothing short of an accident waiting to happen we were so crammed in.

Looking at the wee film of Easter Road it is just a million times better these days, no matter how nostalgic folk get for the old days getting soaked to the bone on that huge open terrace wasn't fun.

A huge downpour on a cold day could have people running for the pubs and cut the attendances in half. As a kid I recall begging an uncle to take me to Hibs-Liverpool. They expected over 40,000 and got about half as driving, freezing rain teemed down on everybody for 90 mins. I hated every second of it and was delighted when they covered the East.

ArmadaleHibs
04-03-2017, 08:08 AM

The bizarre office block thing in the corner at kilbowie was actually a members supporters club. The ground is now a McDonalds

Hibernia&Alba
04-03-2017, 09:17 AM
The bizarre office block thing in the corner at kilbowie was actually a members supporters club. The ground is now a McDonalds

Cheers for that. It was really strange: a tacky 1960s type office block right behind one of the goals.

southsider
04-03-2017, 09:22 AM
These lego grounds are brutal. Muirton Park was great. Always had big support and nearly always won. Love Street was great too as there was a pub on the corner. Hated Airdrie and Ibrox.

Hibernia&Alba
04-03-2017, 09:23 AM
These lego grounds are brutal. Muirton Park was great. Always had big support and nearly always won. Love Street was great too as there was a pub on the corner. Hated Airdrie and Ibrox.

Aye, Love Street infinitely better than that flat pack thing they have now.

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-03-2017, 10:23 AM

Remember Shawfield well, also Stirling Albion's Annfield which had probably the best wee tea hut with two wifeys selling great pies and sausage rolls :greengrin

Dumbarton's Boghead truly lived up to its name. :rolleyes:

Kilbowie was probably the worst ground ever, we won 5-0 there in a cup game in the 80s (?) never been so cold at a football match in my life. :bitchy:

Colr
04-03-2017, 10:31 AM

I remember the toilets at Firrhill were just a wall with a floor gutter!

magpie1892
04-03-2017, 10:50 AM
Kilbowie was probably the worst ground ever, we won 5-0 there in a cup game in the 80s (?) never been so cold at a football match in my life. :bitchy:

Early 90s. Me and my mates parked up and Alex Ferguson got out of a massive BMW next to us. God alone know what he was doing there - scouting Gareth Evans?

The so-called 'all seater stadium' (my only visit) was just mouldy, uncovered wooden benches, so everyone was standing.

Horrendous ground.

jgl07
04-03-2017, 11:03 AM
Was Kilbowie not one of the first all seated grounds? Strange wee ground that one. Must be a supermarket now.
It was fitted with seats throughout because the crash barriers needed replacing and Jack
Steedman worked out that bench seating was cheaper to install.

jdships
04-03-2017, 11:09 AM
Played at
Cathkin
Muirton
Shawfield
City Park
Annfield
Kilbowie
Boghead
Douglas Park
Cliftonhill
" Down the slope " at Easter Rioad

Probably more but memory is a bit hazy now

:cheers:

jakedance
04-03-2017, 11:11 AM
Where's a good wee ground for a non-Hibs day trip? Thinking somewhere with a wee bit of charm/atmosphere and a decent pub lunch nearby.

Pretty Boy
04-03-2017, 11:15 AM
Where's a good wee ground for a non-Hibs day trip? Thinking somewhere with a wee bit of charm/atmosphere and a decent pub lunch nearby.

Gayfield is ok imo. It's freezing as it's right on the coast but small covered terraces behind each goal and you can still change ends at HT.

Glebe Park is also a nice wee ground with the hedges down one side an interesting feature.

Links Park also has a decent old style terracing behind one goal. Small but partially covered.

heretoday
04-03-2017, 11:18 AM
The old Tynecastle was an uncomfortable place to be when there was a big crowd. They had no stewarding on the terraces near to the entrances and a lot of crushing developed. Then there was that tunnel running under the school end - a death trap in waiting.

That said, the atmosphere there in the 60s was way better than ours and their pies were better too!

jakedance
04-03-2017, 11:52 AM
Gayfield is ok imo. It's freezing as it's right on the coast but small covered terraces behind each goal and you can still change ends at HT.

Glebe Park is also a nice wee ground with the hedges down one side an interesting feature.

Links Park also has a decent old style terracing behind one goal. Small but partially covered.

Thanks for that.

O'Rourke3
04-03-2017, 12:00 PM
The old Tynecastle was an uncomfortable place to be when there was a big crowd. They had no stewarding on the terraces near to the entrances and a lot of crushing developed. Then there was that tunnel running under the school end - a death trap in waiting.

That said, the atmosphere there in the 60s was way better than ours and their pies were better too!

My first trip to Tynie was the 4-1 game the one first following 01/01/73. I was crushed against the exit manged to climb out on to the track side. The Polis on the ground didn't want to know when I said I was being crushed and threw me back into the melee....

Green Man
04-03-2017, 12:04 PM

I went to Gayfield years ago to see Patrick Thistle, I loved how there was one set of turnstiles for the whole ground and if you eant d to sit in the stand you paid at the entrance to the stand. Being able to walk all the way round was a novelty, and seeing the home fans change ends at half time was something I'd only ever read about previously.

Bostonhibby
04-03-2017, 12:09 PM

One of my absolute favourite away trips - been dozen of times down the years - drink in the wee barrel then leave 10 minutes before Kick off and still get in:greengrin Know why they had to do it but the new ground just isn't the same.

bigwheel
04-03-2017, 12:15 PM

I recall turning up at Love Street around 1980/81...to find some Hibs fans had set up a ladder at the away end....there was an orderly queue to get up and over. Innovation ! :greengrin

Peevemor
04-03-2017, 12:54 PM

I remember a derby there (mid 80s?) where a wall above a tunnel collapsed with the crush and at least one Hibs fan was hurt quite badly.