PDA

View Full Version : 2 in a row could happen, it really could

thebausburst
03-03-2017, 05:13 PM
I mean can you imagine if they did the impossible, win tomorrow and it's only 2 games from reality, it could happen it really could :flag::flag:

HibbySpurs
03-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Yeah I know mate and that would be brilliant but automatic promotion takes top priority over everything else as far as I'm concerned.

JackLadd
03-03-2017, 05:17 PM
All I care about is winning tomorrow just now.

ian cruise
03-03-2017, 05:18 PM
Best case scenario tomorrow, big win to take us through to next round and lift confidence.

Worst case scenario is a draw. I'd rather lose than have another game to distract from the league. Get through this then it's two additional games, one after the league is over so no reason why we can't do both automatic promotion and the cup but a win tomorrow is a must.

JackLadd
03-03-2017, 05:22 PM
Best case scenario tomorrow, big win to take us through to next round and lift confidence.

Worst case scenario is a draw. I'd rather lose than have another game to distract from the league. Get through this then it's two additional games, one after the league is over so no reason why we can't do both automatic promotion and the cup but a win tomorrow is a must.

You'd rather lose than face a replay? No way dude.

Hibernia&Alba
03-03-2017, 05:27 PM
The way Celtc are playing this season, the remaining teams will need to achieve something extraordinary to stop them. It's a long shot for the rest of us, but not impossible. Promotion is much more important; we should be finishing ahead of the other Championship teams.

ian cruise
03-03-2017, 05:27 PM
You'd rather lose than face a replay? No way dude.

It's one of the few times I'd rather lose. I want us to win, I'm not saying I'd rather we were out of the cup so we can concentrate on the league but I really believe the extra games last season cost us in the end and we're racking up injuries so one more midweek game and reschedule is the late thing we need, we can't afford to let Dundee UTD or Morton back in to the title race and put unnecessary pressure on ourselves. Get through this round then next game is April, league should be done and dusted by then and no risk of replay.

For what it's worth I think we will win by 2 tomorrow, I was just saying what the best and worst case scenarios were in my opinion.

lugz
03-03-2017, 05:28 PM
I'm probably in the minority here but give me the Scottish cup over promotion every day of the week. I'd rather have the memories of 2007 league cup and 21/05/16 over playing in the premiership.

What is so good about it really? Everyone competing to be runners up to celtic, going to dens park instead of Tannadice, playing in rubbish grounds as bad as the championship etc.

ian cruise
03-03-2017, 05:31 PM
I'm probably in the minority here but give me the Scottish cup over promotion every day of the week. I'd rather have the memories of 2007 league cup and 21/05/16 over playing in the premiership.

What is so good about it really? Everyone competing to be runners up to celtic, going to dens park instead of Tannadice, playing in rubbish grounds as bad as the championship etc.

If we stayed down I doubt we'd continue to be able to keep attracting the player we have (who some already believe aren't good enough) and we'd begin to slip down the standing in Scottish football so days like 21st May would be even more infrequent. Get up, establish ourselves as a force in the league, attract the absolute best player we can and reap the rewards for longer.

I don't think fans would react to another cup win with no promotion this time as they did last year. It was a special achievement that allowed the club unheard of goodwill. If we'd lost then this season would have been very different.

Hibernia&Alba
03-03-2017, 05:32 PM
If we stayed down I doubt we'd continue to be able to keep attracting the player we have (who some already believe aren't good enough) and we'd begin to slip down the standing in Scottish football so days like 21st May would be even more infrequent. Get up, establish ourselves as a force in the league, attract the absolute best player we can and reap the rewards for longer.

I don't think fans would react to another cup win with no promotion this time as they did last year. It was a special achievement that allowed the club unheard of goodwill. If we'd lost then this season would have been very different.

Fully agree with this. As one of the biggest clubs in Scotland, long term second tier status is unthinkable.

Hibernianinc
03-03-2017, 05:34 PM

I agree. 2 in a row would be epic. A feat that only the OF (rip) achieved.

Hibernianinc
03-03-2017, 05:38 PM
so days like 21st May would be even more infrequent..

Yip, those 114 years just rattled by......

emerald green
03-03-2017, 05:41 PM

It's not as simple as that. The financial impact on the club, if it were to stay in this awful league for a fourth season, would be very serious IMO.

The club has 11,300 season ticket holders largely on the good will generated by the Scottish Cup win. We don't want to throw that away. If Hibs get promoted I suspect that number could be exceeded. Stay down, and it will decrease, possibly substantially.

Not going up would have a domino effect. The club would have less money to retain its better players, some of whom would want to leave anyway, and they would be under greater financial pressure to sell. In turn, it becomes harder to attract a higher standard of player to the club.

Personally, I would rather watch Hibs playing at ER against Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts and The Rangers (even more gate receipts etc for the club playing against these clubs) than say Ayr United, Dumbarton, Raith Rovers and Falkirk parking the bus, time wasting etc and booting us off the park.

Steve20
03-03-2017, 05:44 PM
There's every chance because the players only seem interested in playing in the cup and not the league.

MichaelTheCelt
03-03-2017, 05:52 PM
It's not as simple as that. The financial impact on the club, if it were to stay in this awful league for a fourth season, would be very serious IMO.

The club has 11,300 season ticket holders largely on the good will generated by the Scottish Cup win. We don't want to throw that away. If Hibs get promoted I suspect that number could be exceeded. Stay down, and it will decrease, possibly substantially.

Not going up would have a domino effect. The club would have less money to retain its better players, some of whom would want to leave anyway, and they would be under greater financial pressure to sell. In turn, it becomes harder to attract a higher standard of player to the club.

Personally, I would rather watch Hibs playing at ER against Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts and The Rangers (even more gate receipts etc for the club playing against these clubs) than say Ayr United, Dumbarton, Raith Rovers and Falkirk parking the bus, time wasting etc and booting us off the park.
That's optimistic mate, they might not make it past this month :hilarious

lugz
03-03-2017, 05:57 PM
I get the financial benefits of going up but I'm 30 this year and have only witnessed 2 trophy wins (I can't remember 1991) so any chance we have to win I'd take that over promotion to a league we'll never win.

We'll always have a big enough fan base to compete at the top end of the championship so promotion would happen at some point, we can't say the same for Scottish cup wins.

SirDavidsNapper
03-03-2017, 05:57 PM
If we get past Ayr it will be very tough. Be happy with another lucrative semi though. I'd imagine it would be us, Celtic, Dons and Hamilton in semi.

emerald green
03-03-2017, 06:01 PM
That's optimistic mate, they might not make it past this month :hilarious

I would pish myself laughing were that to happen, but I don't think it will somehow.

Waxy
03-03-2017, 06:04 PM
Here we go

Slavers
03-03-2017, 06:13 PM
After a bit of thought i would take us winning the Scottish Cup one more time instead of going up this year. Being the only club in Edinburgh to win back to back Scottish Cups would be worth another year in the championship.

Plus if we were to win it then we would go down as the club who beat an unbeatable Celtic team and lifted the Scottish Cup again, it would be some story.

HibbyDave
03-03-2017, 06:31 PM

Aberdeen in the 80,s won five if I remember or maybe I need less illcohol!
1981/82/83 and later in the 80,s another twice I think.

03-03-2017, 06:45 PM

Can see where your coming from but we absolutely need to be in the premiership. Last year we were saved financially because of the cup win. Playing in the SPL pulls in bigger crowds, attracts a higher calibre of player and gives us the status we deserve. I will never accept hibs playing in a lower league, its absolutely not where we should be.

Winning 2 in a row would be beyond incredible but we really need to get ourselves up this season, we cannot spend another season here im afraid.

Keith_M
03-03-2017, 06:47 PM
We need to win the Championship and get back to where we belong.

Anything else is just a nice dream, and a bit of distraction.

500miles
03-03-2017, 06:48 PM
I want a win tomorrow, but I'd rather lose than draw. It's quite an odd position I know, but we need the players to get a full weeks recovery to sort out some of the minor knocks we're clearly carrying.

Waxy
03-03-2017, 07:17 PM
I want both.

GreenLake
03-03-2017, 07:21 PM
We could also do the 3peat next season as well as a Leicester on the SPFL title.

calumhibee1
03-03-2017, 07:29 PM
All I care about is winning tomorrow just now.

Likewise. I keep reading people who bring up the league when talking about tomorrow. The league is an irrelevance until 5pm tomorrow. Let's go out and book our place at Hampden.

Paisley Hibby
03-03-2017, 07:42 PM

Totally agree. The only reason for getting promoted is financial, nowt to do with the football.

Paisley Hibby
03-03-2017, 07:45 PM
There's every chance because the players only seem interested in playing in the cup and not the league.

It's strange, we seem to have become more of a cup team in recent years. Even when we were REALLY ***** (under Fenlon) we still made back to back Scottish Cup finals.

danhibees1875
03-03-2017, 07:46 PM

Along with Queens park, vale of Leven, and Aberdeen.

Would still be an incredible achievement though.

I'll just take promotion and the cup win. Keeps everyone happy that way. 😊

JimboHibs
03-03-2017, 07:51 PM
Fully agree with this. As one of the biggest clubs in Scotland, long term second tier status is unthinkable.

One of the biggest clubs in Scotland that has achieved nothing of any note in the Premiership over the last 35 years.

That abomination of a top division can wait for me if it meant winning the Scottish Cup again,for what it's worth I still think we'll go up automatically this year but no doubt I'd rather win the Scottish.

Paisley Hibby
03-03-2017, 07:54 PM

It's strange, we seem to have become more of a cup team in recent years. Even when we were REALLY ***** (under Fenlon) we still made back to back Scottish Cup finals.

monktonharp
03-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Totally agree. The only reason for getting promoted is financial, nowt to do with the football.:agree:think you are correct at the moment. seems a strange comment I suppose , but I mean that promotion would give us extra income with games against Celtic, The Rangers, Aberdeen and that gorgie mob. another cup win would outstrip those finances though :greengrin When we go up I don't see us consolidating 2/3 or even 4th place right away. Europe via a cup win would be good though.

Elephant Stone
03-03-2017, 08:05 PM
If I had to choose between winning both the cup and the league or just winning the league I think I would choose to win the cup and the league.

Lancs Harp
03-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Tomorrow is a big game, how would a cup exit and surrender of our Holy Grail at home to Ayr United (with all due respect to the Honest men) be taken by the faithful? Depression city I would imagine judging by the reaction to virtuallly any defeat, as for the players confidence, need I say more?

Hibbyradge
03-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Not now it couldn't.

#jinx

ian cruise
03-03-2017, 10:00 PM
Yip, those 114 years just rattled by......

Indeed, it was incredibly painful and I'd rather we didn't go through decades of not being close just for two years of happiness. My main point was that after 114 years there was such an understandable feeling of euphoria that a second win wouldn't be able to replicate if it came at the cost of promotion. Just an opinion though.

NAE NOOKIE
03-03-2017, 10:55 PM
2 in a row would quite frankly be a miracle ..... I just don't see how anybody can get past Celtic at the moment, I'm not saying its impossible, but the fact that the bookies are offering 50/1 for St Mirren to beat them this weekend, a team who have just beaten us 2 - 0, says everything. Even Aberdeen or Sevco is a 50/50 shot for us at the moment ....... Celtic a hell of a lot worse.

Tomorrow is big for us without a doubt, a 1/4 share of what could be a minimum combined 90,000 crowd plus TV money from the semis isn't to be sniffed at .... hopefully that money will be needed to invest in a Premiership team next season .... which turns my mind to Tannadice on Friday which is all that matters.

MichaelTheCelt
03-03-2017, 11:03 PM
I don't understand why some of you think its one or the other for yous this season, there is every chance Hibs could go on and do both. Obviously I don't want that cause I want to do the treble. But I honestly think despite the mishaps automatic promotion is a stick on for you's this year and Hibs are the team I'd really rather avoid in the cup this year, sorry to say lads but I hope you's go out this weekend cause playing you's at Hampden sounds scarier than The Rangers or Aberdeen.

northstandhibby
03-03-2017, 11:08 PM
I don't understand why some of you think its one or the other for yous this season, there is every chance Hibs could go on and do both. Obviously I don't want that cause I want to do the treble. But I honestly think despite the mishaps automatic promotion is a stick on for you's this year and Hibs are the team I'd really rather avoid in the cup this year, sorry to say lads but I hope you's go out this weekend cause playing you's at Hampden sounds scarier than The Rangers or Aberdeen.

You don't fancy meeting the East of Scotland folk? Okay we get it!!!

:greengrin

glory glory

Lancs Harp
03-03-2017, 11:22 PM
Last season was just the start of a Hibs dynasty.

I imagine we'll win the cup for the next 100 years. In 10 years time we'll be byed all the way to final and the rest of the riff rafff will have to battle for the right to challenge the Scottish Cup Champions. Hampden will be redeveloped to hold 250,000 as the nation comes to a standstill to watch the marvellous Hibs defend the Holy Grail.

GreenCastle
03-03-2017, 11:37 PM
Totally agree. The only reason for getting promoted is financial, nowt to do with the football.

A Scottish Cup party will always beat a Championship party.

You make an interesting point about financial rewards. I think that and attracting players / sponsors and more coverage is what the main league bring.

I want to win both and feel win tomorrow and take it from there.

We need our confidence and pride back and tomorrow is a great chance for that. I feel it's going to be a tricky game though again.

I do agree the top league is boring though as zero chance of winning the league so from a footballing point of view the cups should be treated seriously until they restructure the league and take power away from Celtic.

monktonharp
03-03-2017, 11:44 PM
I don't understand why some of you think its one or the other for yous this season, there is every chance Hibs could go on and do both. Obviously I don't want that cause I want to do the treble. But I honestly think despite the mishaps automatic promotion is a stick on for you's this year and Hibs are the team I'd really rather avoid in the cup this year, sorry to say lads but I hope you's go out this weekend cause playing you's at Hampden sounds scarier than The Rangers or Aberdeen.to be honest, I new we'd win the effin thing one day in my life but never thought it'd be against a newly formed club :wink: I always wanted it to be against Celtic, for no other reason other than the revenge for that wee bugger Dixie Deans doin' summersalts when he got 3 against us . we live in hope

thebausburst
04-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Any non OF team ever one back to back SCs?

Hibernia&Alba
04-03-2017, 11:24 AM

Aberdeen under Fergie.

Onceinawhile
04-03-2017, 11:51 AM

Hearts famously won the double in 1986. Not quite back to back cups but still some achievement.

Martin Dundas
04-03-2017, 12:21 PM
With all respect to Ayr Utd, us winning a home cup tie against a team in the same league is a must. I'm sure the Finance Director is looking for a win and the income that comes from that. And for promotion to the top league. Like it or not, money talks!! As a football fan, I'm looking for promotion and, so long as it doesn't effect promotion, a cup run. No replays please.