PDA

View Full Version : Info needed about Hibs Leicester City friendly

worcesterhibby
02-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Hibs played Leicester City in a friendly on December 10th 1979. I believe we won 3-2 and George Best played..anyone got any other information about the match ? scorers, attendance etc. ?

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2017, 01:40 PM
We went, its a bit hazy through time and the drink we consumed that trip. I always thought we won 2-0 and Best never played?

worcesterhibby
02-03-2017, 01:54 PM
We went, its a bit hazy through time and the drink we consumed that trip. I always thought we won 2-0 and Best never played?

That was the away tie in January 1980..we played them at home a month before.

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2017, 02:03 PM
That was the away tie in January 1980..we played them at home a month before.

Ah, then i cant help you, i dont remember anything about the home game at all? :confused:

green with envy
02-03-2017, 02:47 PM
Ah, then i cant help you, i dont remember anything about the home game at all? :confused:

I was at both but all i remember from the home game was coming out of Macs Bar (Mash Tun) Easter Road and a pagger with around 20 rangers fans who thought it was good to come through in support of their ex manager Jock Wallace.. I also a remember a few pint glasses getting thrown in their direction with one of them copping it bang on the forehead.

The game down in Filbert Street should never have went ahead due to the state of the icy pitch. Hibs won 2-0, i'm sure Jackie Mac scored the first very early and Best made his first start after his infamous disappearance.

worcesterhibby
02-03-2017, 02:56 PM
I was at both but all i remember from the home game was coming out of Macs Bar (Mash Tun) Easter Road and a pagger with around 20 rangers fans who thought it was good to come through in support of their ex manager Jock Wallace.. I also a remember a few pint glasses getting thrown in their direction with one of them copping it bang on the forehead.

The game down in Filbert Street should never have went ahead due to the state of the icy pitch. Hibs won 2-0, i'm sure Jackie Mac scored the first very early and Best made his first start after his infamous disappearance.

well that adds a bit of background colour at least !

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2017, 03:01 PM

Did Best play at filbert street, as i cant remember him playing?

Kato
02-03-2017, 03:03 PM
Did Best play at filbert street, as i cant remember him playing?

He did.

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2017, 03:11 PM
He did.

He did, :greengrin we'd had a long day, pretty sure our bus left the Hibs club at closing time the night before, and the rest is a blur. :confused:

hibeg
02-03-2017, 03:30 PM
He did, :greengrin we'd had a long day, pretty sure our bus left the Hibs club at closing time the night before, and the rest is a blur. :confused:

Edinburgh West bus by any chance ?

green with envy
02-03-2017, 03:30 PM

Our bus did the same. Liberton Hibs.

I remember the bus dropping us outside the ground at around 2pm, there was a door open into the players lounge and no one inside. All the bottles of spirits didn't last long that were attached to the optics and programmes were nicked before they even went on sale. Two good Hibbies who had never been in trouble in their puff with Mick McGhee being one of them got a lie down for having stolen possession on them, yes the programmes.

Hiber-nation
02-03-2017, 03:34 PM

I wonder if I have a programme for this....anyway I think there were more huns than that, my mate got a kicking off some of them outside the Nip. Leicester had a player called Derek Strickland who they signed from rangers and that seemed to add to the appeal for the orcs as well as Wallace.

green with envy
02-03-2017, 03:40 PM
I wonder if I have a programme for this....anyway I think there were more huns than that, my mate got a kicking off some of them outside the Nip. Leicester had a player called Derek Strickland who they signed from rangers and that seemed to add to the appeal for the orcs as well as Wallace.

There may have been but it was almost 40 years ago. Strickland was a forward if my memory is correct.

Also from memory i'm sure Bobby Smith played in both games for Leicester.

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2017, 04:37 PM
Edinburgh West bus by any chance ?

:agree:

Ray_
02-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Hibs played Leicester City in a friendly on December 10th 1979. I believe we won 3-2 and George Best played..anyone got any other information about the match ? scorers, attendance etc. ?

Played on a freezing December Monday night, George Best set up all three of Ally McLeod's goals. Hibs had the Yugoslavian keeper on trial and Bobby Smith played for Leicester.

stantonhibby
02-03-2017, 06:19 PM
Played on a freezing December Monday night, George Best set up all three of Ally McLeod's goals. Hibs had the Yugoslavian keeper on trial and Bobby Smith played for Leicester.

Nizetic was the goalies name I think

scoopyboy
02-03-2017, 06:20 PM
Were the games not agreed as part of the deal that took Bobby Smith to Leicester?

stantonhibby
02-03-2017, 06:21 PM
Were the games not agreed as part of the deal that took Bobby Smith to Leicester?

That rings a bell

Topographic Hibby
02-03-2017, 09:23 PM
A flange of West of Scotland FC Orcs came swaggering into the away section in the old stand lower enclosure singing about "Wan Joak Waallis" at the home game. Or should the collective noun for them be a Lodge of Orcs?

Purple & Green
02-03-2017, 09:35 PM

Best played, hibs won 3-2, Ally McLeod scored a hat trick, Larry May and Derek Strickland scored for Leicester.

Billy Whizz
02-03-2017, 10:00 PM
Best played, hibs won 3-2, Ally McLeod scored a hat trick, Larry May and Derek Strickland scored for Leicester.

A friend sent me these

worcesterhibby
02-03-2017, 10:08 PM

Thanks Ray, that's very helpful

worcesterhibby
02-03-2017, 10:09 PM

Cheers great info

worcesterhibby
02-03-2017, 10:09 PM
A friend sent me these

:aok::aok:

IberianHibernian
02-03-2017, 10:29 PM
I was at both Leicester games . Tiny crowds at both with about 5000 ( including about 100 Huns in old South Enclosure ) at home game and about 2000 at away game including a couple of hundred Hibs fans at one end of whom about 20 were lifted at half time for supposed programme theft etc. . In home game we had Yugoslav goalie on trial / loan - he`d played in a 4 - 0 defeat in a friendly at Killie 2 days before . Can`t remember why we had no league game that weekend . Surprised to read that Best played as I thought debut at Paisley ( even with Best we lost so maybe yesterday wasn`t so bad ) and home debut v Jags had been just before Christmas . Pretty sure away game was one of the ones where he was supposed to have played but didn`t make it . We won 2 - 0 in Leicester ( our only away win except maybe bounce matches that season which should maybe be remembered when people consider Turnbull`s management record ) with Jackie Mcnamara scoring his first goal for Hibs ( remember him scoring at Ibrox in a SC tie a year or two after but he didn`t score many goals ). Away game was played on a pitch with thick layer of snow at a time when Leicester were famous for the balloon they put up to protect the pitch but didn`t use for that match . I went by train and remember Hibs team were on same train ( from Birmingham ) on way back but with sleeper beds while fans had seats .

Bill Milne
03-03-2017, 08:57 AM
I was at both Leicester games . Tiny crowds at both with about 5000 ( including about 100 Huns in old South Enclosure ) at home game and about 2000 at away game including a couple of hundred Hibs fans at one end of whom about 20 were lifted at half time for supposed programme theft etc. . In home game we had Yugoslav goalie on trial / loan - he`d played in a 4 - 0 defeat in a friendly at Killie 2 days before . Can`t remember why we had no league game that weekend . Surprised to read that Best played as I thought debut at Paisley ( even with Best we lost so maybe yesterday wasn`t so bad ) and home debut v Jags had been just before Christmas . Pretty sure away game was one of the ones where he was supposed to have played but didn`t make it . We won 2 - 0 in Leicester ( our only away win except maybe bounce matches that season which should maybe be remembered when people consider Turnbull`s management record ) with Jackie Mcnamara scoring his first goal for Hibs ( remember him scoring at Ibrox in a SC tie a year or two after but he didn`t score many goals ). Away game was played on a pitch with thick layer of snow at a time when Leicester were famous for the balloon they put up to protect the pitch but didn`t use for that match . I went by train and remember Hibs team were on same train ( from Birmingham ) on way back but with sleeper beds while fans had seats .

IIRC Tony Higgins scored the other goal in the away game!!

G B Young
03-03-2017, 10:42 AM
According to the late Stewart Brown's book 'Hibernian Greats' Best made his debut for Hibs at St Mirren before his home debut a week later v Partick Thistle.

Brown writes: 'The Irishman then turned out in friendlies against Kilmarnock and Leicester but failed to appear for the next league game against Morton at Greenock. Tom Hart provided a cover story but was the start of his tantrums? Evidently not, for he shared in a 2-1 success over Rangers in the pre-Christmas match in which Tony Higgins and Colin Campbell scored, and he contributed a memorable goal in the drawn game with Celtic a fortnight later as 22,000 looked on.'

green with envy
03-03-2017, 12:37 PM

Spot on with all of that but RE: the balloon it was up when we got to the ground as said earlier at around 2pm. This was and the last time that i had seen anything like it. Also remember Best playing as he wasn't expected to.

worcesterhibby
06-03-2017, 09:33 AM
Spot on with all of that but RE: the balloon it was up when we got to the ground as said earlier at around 2pm. This was and the last time that i had seen anything like it. Also remember Best playing as he wasn't expected to.

The balloon thing is fascinating..never heard about it before..here is a picture of it in action

http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Images/Odds&Ends/Leicester%20Balloon.jpg

worcesterhibby
06-03-2017, 09:34 AM
and here is one of the players actually training underneath it !

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/ET043X/the-balloon-went-at-filbert-street-on-14th-april-home-of-leicester-ET043X.jpg

--------
06-03-2017, 11:42 AM
A flange of West of Scotland FC Orcs came swaggering into the away section in the old stand lower enclosure singing about "Wan Joak Waallis" at the home game. Or should the collective noun for them be a Lodge of Orcs?

'Defecation' - definitely - the product of the Orange movement.

The balloon thing is fascinating..never heard about it before..here is a picture of it in action

http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Images/Odds&Ends/Leicester%20Balloon.jpg

and here is one of the players actually training underneath it !

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/ET043X/the-balloon-went-at-filbert-street-on-14th-april-home-of-leicester-ET043X.jpg

They should have got one big enough to enclose the whole stadium. Winter games viewed from the high terrace were a ghastly experience in those days - windchill wasn't the word for it.

worcesterhibby
08-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Just got hold of the programme for the home match against Leicester in 1979 and I notice that Gary Lineker was listed as being in the Leicester side that day. Can anyone confirm that he played ? If so must surely have been (perhaps along with the return tie) the only time that Lineker and George Best played against each other. Always rated Lineker, just a fabulous penalty box striker. Really wish I'd attended this match now, I was only 11 and only allowed to go to ER when my Granda took me and we never went to this one.

KWJ
08-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Looking at the Leicester clipping posted I see that Lineker scored in a 1-1 draw up at Elgin. Wonder if he's any recollection of that!

Interesting the teams that they were playing in friendlies in general really - Tulsa Roughnecks :greengrin

Worcester - could tweet the man himself and ask.

marinello59
08-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Looking at the Leicester clipping posted I see that Lineker scored in a 1-1 draw up at Elgin. Wonder if he's any recollection of that!

Interesting the teams that they were playing in friendlies in general really - Tulsa Roughnecks :greengrin

Worcester - could tweet the man himself and ask.

Ian Wilson had been transferred from Elgin City to Leicester in April of that year. The game may have been part of the fee.

canuckhibee
08-03-2017, 10:12 PM

Did Gary Lineker play upfront for Leicester in those games?