PDA

View Full Version : Old Hibs Players

Colr
02-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Fun article listing players that went on and on - no surprise at the Greenock Morton legend at number 1.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/03/02/footballs-greatest-golden-oldies-does-zlatan-ibrahimovic-rank/sir-stanley-matthews/

Who are the longest lasting Hibs players. Arthur Duncan was a favourite of mine when I was a boy- quite Hibs at 37 but finished at Meadowbank aged 40!!

fat freddy
02-03-2017, 09:52 PM
Arthur defined longevity, its like someone stuck a duracell battery up his backside and he just kept going. He was playing for Hibs when i was going to my first Hibs games in the early seventies and he was still there when i left school, Arthur and that picture of him I got out of the club shop on Albert Street were passengers throughout my entire childhood,I used to think that if he married Jim McArthur he'd be called Arthur McArthur. My mum danced with him one night at a do at the North British, she came home doing drunken impressions of him, she can still do The Arthur Duncan to this day and shes 83 now. Its funny how you carry certain players through life, they become a part of you, well they do when they stick at a club as long as Arthur did, I wonder if any mums will be impersonating Lewis Stevenson in 40 years? I hear Arthur has retired to Australia after a career in chiropody which followed his football career, i often think of him and wonder if he was the best 12 grand Hibs ever spent.

ihibs7
02-03-2017, 10:02 PM
Oldest hibs players http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_records_age.php

Jimmy McColl and Alex Hall had considerable hibs careers into their late 30s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibrandenburg
02-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Arthur defined longevity, its like someone stuck a duracell battery up his backside and he just kept going. He was playing for Hibs when i was going to my first Hibs games in the early seventies and he was still there when i left school, Arthur and that picture of him I got out of the club shop on Albert Street were passengers throughout my entire childhood,I used to think that if he married Jim McArthur he'd be called Arthur McArthur. My mum danced with him one night at a do at the North British, she came home doing drunken impressions of him, she can still do The Arthur Duncan to this day and shes 83 now. Its funny how you carry certain players through life, they become a part of you, well they do when they stick at a club as long as Arthur did, I wonder if any mums will be impersonating Lewis Stevenson in 40 years? I hear Arthur has retired to Australia after a career in chiropody which followed his football career, i often think of him and wonder if he was the best 12 grand Hibs ever spent.

Probably my all time favourite Hibs player, either him or Ally McLeod. Two completely different personalities but I had a serious man crush on them both as a boy.

Smartie
02-03-2017, 10:16 PM
Budgie was knocking on a bit by the time he was at Hibs but he was still in cracking shape for a keeper.

Ray Wilkins was a fair old age when he played for us but to be fair he was totally finished and stealing a wage.

I'm 40 later this year and there was a slightly depressing realisation that I made roughly around the time that Alan Maybury was playing for us that I probably won't ever see anyone play for Hibs again that is actually older than me.

Mixu and Jim Leighton should get a special mention for joining us well into their thirties but going on to make a number of appearances and a significant, positive impact for us.

IberianHibernian
02-03-2017, 10:39 PM
Arthur defined longevity, its like someone stuck a duracell battery up his backside and he just kept going. He was playing for Hibs when i was going to my first Hibs games in the early seventies and he was still there when i left school, Arthur and that picture of him I got out of the club shop on Albert Street were passengers throughout my entire childhood,I used to think that if he married Jim McArthur he'd be called Arthur McArthur. My mum danced with him one night at a do at the North British, she came home doing drunken impressions of him, she can still do The Arthur Duncan to this day and shes 83 now. Its funny how you carry certain players through life, they become a part of you, well they do when they stick at a club as long as Arthur did, I wonder if any mums will be impersonating Lewis Stevenson in 40 years? I hear Arthur has retired to Australia after a career in chiropody which followed his football career, i often think of him and wonder if he was the best 12 grand Hibs ever spent. The thing about Raith having to use an outfield player in goal this week got me thinking about similar situations with Hibs . Was Arthur Duncan not our reserve goalie for emergencies in days when there were no goalies on bench ? Pretty sure I saw him play as goalie at Ibrox after our goalie got injured . Likewise Peter Cormack before .

heidtheba
02-03-2017, 10:53 PM
Andy Millen was one of the most underrated Hibs players. I loved watching him. I remember Sky calling him a 'centre back at midfield'...that's what he was supposed to do. A class act actually imho.

Forza Fred
02-03-2017, 11:21 PM

He has retired to New Zealand, not Australia.

He apparently has a son there.

jgl07
03-03-2017, 01:58 AM
Budgie was knocking on a bit by the time he was at Hibs but he was still in cracking shape for a keeper.

He played for Hibs at the age of 41, However he went on to play for Manchester City at 43 and later turned out for Darlington and Queen of the South.

Colr
03-03-2017, 12:02 PM
Oldest hibs players http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_records_age.php

Jimmy McColl and Alex Hall had considerable hibs careers into their late 30s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Wilkins!! What a stain he is on our history!!

Colr
03-03-2017, 12:06 PM
The thing about Raith having to use an outfield player in goal this week got me thinking about similar situations with Hibs . Was Arthur Duncan not our reserve goalie for emergencies in days when there were no goalies on bench ? Pretty sure I saw him play as goalie at Ibrox after our goalie got injured . Likewise Peter Cormack before .

I remember Willie Miller taking over, I think, against Airdie when Budgie got sent off then saving the resultant penalty.

Let in 3 pretty soft goals thereafter, but!!

KWJ
03-03-2017, 01:47 PM
He has retired to New Zealand, not Australia.

He apparently has a son there.

When I was living in Dunedin I noticed a sign post with Arthur St above Duncan St. Reckon that may not have been accidental. Was down a slope too :wink: