PDA

View Full Version : When Cummings put us 2-0 up against the Pars last Saturday...

G B Young
02-03-2017, 11:34 AM
...who honestly thought we'd fail to win the game, let alone go on to lose in Paisley?

For the first 20 minutes against the Pars we looked exactly what we should have been: a side loaded with confidence after thumping Hearts and I for one thought we were very much on course to establish a comfortable lead in the title race.

But from the moment Gray slipped to hand Dunfermline a lifeline things have nosedived. Yes, we've only rarely set the pulses racing with our league performances this season, and we've stuttered to far too many draws, but we've done enough to keep any challengers at bay and our only two previous defeats this season haven't had any significant impact on that.

Why the sudden fragility? I accept that injuries play a part, but for a side which just a week ago blew Hearts off the park with a display full of pace and passion I simply cannot fathom why this squad would lack the mental strength to get themselves up for a battle in Paisley. They were warned by the manager what lay in store yet they turned in a dismal display in which they were second best throughout.

Having never played football at anything like a professional level I have no idea what the thought process of a player is, but it mystifies me why these guys found it so hard to dig deep enough in a game which came just a week after they were cheered off the pitch for their outstanding efforts.

IberianHibernian
02-03-2017, 11:18 PM
Recent results suggest St Mirren are probably a better team than Hibs and are certainly a better team than Hearts . Talking of February , over a season all teams will have good and bad spells .

BoomtownHibees
03-03-2017, 08:31 AM
Recent results suggest St Mirren are probably a better team than Hibs and are certainly a better team than Hearts . Talking of February , over a season all teams will have good and bad spells .

So the team at the bottom of the league are now better than the team at the top?

That's a new one

O'Rourke3
03-03-2017, 09:08 AM
So the team at the bottom of the league are now better than the team at the top?

That's a new one
Its a current form thing. They are picking up regular points and nothing to lose going after the team at the top at home. Our respective places seasons end will determine the better team.vThevold form is temporary class is oermanent thingy.
I thought when Shinnie tried to score from the bye line instead of squaring the ball it was too early to show off.

Sent via the bushes @ EM

houstonhibbee
03-03-2017, 10:02 AM
...who honestly thought we'd fail to win the game, let alone go on to lose in Paisley?

For the first 20 minutes against the Pars we looked exactly what we should have been: a side loaded with confidence after thumping Hearts and I for one thought we were very much on course to establish a comfortable lead in the title race.

But from the moment Gray slipped to hand Dunfermline a lifeline things have nosedived. Yes, we've only rarely set the pulses racing with our league performances this season, and we've stuttered to far too many draws, but we've done enough to keep any challengers at bay and our only two previous defeats this season haven't had any significant impact on that.

Why the sudden fragility? I accept that injuries play a part, but for a side which just a week ago blew Hearts off the park with a display full of pace and passion I simply cannot fathom why this squad would lack the mental strength to get themselves up for a battle in Paisley. They were warned by the manager what lay in store yet they turned in a dismal display in which they were second best throughout.

Having never played football at anything like a professional level I have no idea what the thought process of a player is, but it mystifies me why these guys found it so hard to dig deep enough in a game which came just a week after they were cheered off the pitch for their outstanding efforts.
It's the captains job to motivate poor performing players during the game and the managers job to change things when it's not working including dropping players whose performance is not acceptable,. Problem is lack of depth to bring in replacements. However a non league game is an opportunity to give a chance to some of the youngsters that deserve it

Jones28
03-03-2017, 10:42 AM
This looks like players not giving their all for the manager.

Deansy
03-03-2017, 12:09 PM

I wouldn't say it's 'sudden', over the last decade, different players/managers at ER but all with the same outcome - they start playing like it's the end-of-the-season in February.

jacomo
03-03-2017, 12:33 PM
I think the skoosh is off.

6 points against Dunfy and the Buddies and we are laughing. Instead it's 1 and the season remains live into April and possibly beyond.

But we are still in pole position. Let's hope for an upturn in results sharpish - we are certainly capable.

ahibby
03-03-2017, 12:40 PM

That's a new one

I think he's referring to recent league form. St Mirren have been winning while we've been drawing.

G B Young
03-03-2017, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't say it's 'sudden', over the last decade, different players/managers at ER but all with the same outcome - they start playing like it's the end-of-the-season in February.

I meant 'sudden' in the context of this season. Yes, I agree it seems to happen a lot with Hibs around this time of year but under Lennon I just felt we seemed solid enough to continue grinding along and picking up enough points to retain a comfortable lead. But the shakiness evident in the last two games seems to have put us on the brink of an alarming slide and I just hope we can arrest that asap. Last season we lost four or five league games in the space of a month following the high of the cup derby win, which not only scuppered our title hopes but allowed Falkirk to creep above us.

scooby
03-03-2017, 01:27 PM
I meant 'sudden' in the context of this season. Yes, I agree it seems to happen a lot with Hibs around this time of year but under Lennon I just felt we seemed solid enough to continue grinding along and picking up enough points to retain a comfortable lead. But the shakiness evident in the last two games seems to have put us on the brink of an alarming slide and I just hope we can arrest that asap. Last season we lost four or five league games in the space of a month following the high of the cup derby win, which not only scuppered our title hopes but allowed Falkirk to creep above us.

I fear that we are in for a dog fight to win the league, and I'm not convinced that we have the players to come out on top. Friday's game against DU is now crucial, we need to win that at all costs. Hopefully the team will be up for it as much as the fans, who have backed them brilliantly again this season.

Borderhibbie76
03-03-2017, 02:22 PM
I fear that we are in for a dog fight to win the league, and I'm not convinced that we have the players to come out on top. Friday's game against DU is now crucial, we need to win that at all costs. Hopefully the team will be up for it as much as the fans, who have backed them brilliantly again this season.
I fear the same mate and make no bones about it if we lose next Friday (which at the moment is unthinkable) we for sure are in a real dogfight for the title. However if we go there and play like we can/have done against both them and Hertz this season then we can get the 3pts which would just about end their challenge I think.

Our most crucial match since 21 May 16 no doubts about that

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
03-03-2017, 02:27 PM
If we are to falter this season it will be ironic that it could be the error by SDG that was the catalyst for failure.

Or am I being FAR too melodramatic, my darlings?

NAE NOOKIE
03-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Yeh ...... though the way Dunfermline were playing even before we went two up didn't make it as much of a surprise as it might have been.

What I don't get is why or how the team managed to capitulate at St Mirren when a win or even a draw there would have taken a huge amount of pressure off for the Dundee Utd game ... talk about making a rod for your own back.

There is no time to work our way back to form, they have to get up for it right now and even if they put in a blistering performance against Ayr Utd it will count for nothing if they continue their tepid league form at Tannadice.

Onceinawhile
03-03-2017, 04:52 PM

We don't need to win it at all costs. But it is crucial not to lose.

Fifehibby74
03-03-2017, 08:44 PM
Yeh ...... though the way Dunfermline were playing even before we went two up didn't make it as much of a surprise as it might have been.

What I don't get is why or how the team managed to capitulate at St Mirren when a win or even a draw there would have taken a huge amount of pressure off for the Dundee Utd game ... talk about making a rod for your own back.

There is no time to work our way back to form, they have to get up for it right now and even if they put in a blistering performance against Ayr Utd it will count for nothing if they continue their tepid league form at Tannadice.

Tomorrow is an important game to try and regain some confidence ahead of the United game. If we put in a good performance tomorrow I'll be confident about the United game. If we are poor tomorrow and don't get a result then I fear there is some kind of dressing room problem. Not beating ayr in 3 attempts at home is unthinkable.

scooby
03-03-2017, 08:44 PM
We don't need to win it at all costs. But it is crucial not to lose.

My concern is that Morton could be breathing down our neck too if we don't put more daylight between us. They're better equipped than us for a scrap.

where'stheslope
03-03-2017, 09:05 PM
Just had a look at the remaining fixtures, and the quicker we win this league the better.

If we have not won it by the end of March then in the space of 10 days we play Morton twice, and if they are within touching distance anything could happen?

RedHibby
03-03-2017, 09:22 PM
I don't think the players want to play for the manager.

beensaidbefore
03-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Its a current form thing. They are picking up regular points and nothing to lose going after the team at the top at home. Our respective places seasons end will determine the better team.vThevold form is temporary class is oermanent thingy.
I thought when Shinnie tried to score from the bye line instead of squaring the ball it was too early to show off.

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Cummings also had a tame shot, admittedly after creating a great bit space, but I thought at the time it was a bit greedy and ultimately a waste. Before anyone tells me, u know strikers like him are selfish and that's what gets them the goals, but on this occasion I think a ball to the back post would have been better.

Joe6-2
03-03-2017, 09:30 PM

I can never understand that, professionals letting down their PAYING customers!

Bishop Hibee
03-03-2017, 09:31 PM
I thought the game was over at 2-0. The instant Fontaine was fouled and was obviously injured we went to pot.

I wasn't at Paisley but it seems to have been the first half of the Raith game for 90 minutes. Who knows what will happen tomorrow.

JackLadd
03-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Doesn't help when you go to sleep at the back.

beensaidbefore
03-03-2017, 09:34 PM
I thought the game was over at 2-0. The instant Fontaine was fouled and was obviously injured we went to pot.

I wasn't at Paisley but it seems to have been the first half of the Raith game for 90 minutes. Who knows what will happen tomorrow.

Could have been 4 nil by that point.

Pete
03-03-2017, 09:36 PM

I disagree completely.

Fir whatever reason they just haven't been putting in the extra effort in the games that are easy on paper. They were exactly the same for Mr nice guy last season.

Steve20
04-03-2017, 03:50 AM

It's beginning to look that way. Players have no respect for the paying customers that watch them. If they don't like the manager, they'll just down tools.

If these players have anything about them at all, they'll win at Tannadice. Not even draw. They owe us a winning run.

green day
04-03-2017, 06:41 AM

And they decided that when?

A week ago we pumped hearts out the cup with a smashing performance after looking dire against Raith

Some drivel on here.

eastcoasthibby
04-03-2017, 07:12 AM
I think we are making too many changes each game to the,starting line up , yes enforced to a greater degree, but its not helping. That starting line up on Tuesday was never going to win us the game, 4 central midfield players starting , with no midfield width, Our quickest player playing up front as a centre forward( that never will be) ? Some team selections for me are bizarre and just encourage teams to have a go at us .!
The lack of activity in the January window in not getting a goalscorer in has cost us, and also a natural wide player as well as Humphreys, Boyle doesn't want to play there cos he thinks he's a centre forward ...and as wee have known for nearly 3_seasons now and found out in recent games teams with real wide platers hurt to teams more ..Dunfermline had 2 and St mirren had 2 albeit 1 of theirs,was there right back .but we get done by teams having a go in the wide areas ..we rarely do it ourselves nowadays !!!