PDA

View Full Version : Ten League Games Left in our Season

WS Hibs
02-03-2017, 08:34 AM
There are 30 points left to play for in this season. I believe that Hibs picking up around 20 points would win the league almost regardless of how any other team did. So just out of curiosity, where do you see us winning those crucial points?

March:
Dundee United (A)
Dumbarton (H)
Falkirk (H)
Morton (H)

April:
Dunfermline (A)
Morton (A)
Queen of the South (H)
Raith Rovers (H)
Ayr United (A)

May:
St Mirren (H)

Obviously not wanting to tempt fate, and yes, one game at a time and all that*...

I think the run of three home games at the end of this month is absolutely crucial. Win them and we not only take 9 points, but we essentially end any title hopes that Falkirk/Morton might have. With 6 home games and 4 away games, we should be aiming as a minimum to win 5 out of 6 at ER and 2 out of 4 away.

*The above has been bolded because I know that people are going to write this anyway. :rolleyes:

allmodcons
02-03-2017, 11:36 AM
There are 30 points left to play for in this season. I believe that Hibs picking up around 20 points would win the league almost regardless of how any other team did. So just out of curiosity, where do you see us winning those crucial points?

March:
Dundee United (A)
Dumbarton (H)
Falkirk (H)
Morton (H)

April:
Dunfermline (A)
Morton (A)
Queen of the South (H)
Raith Rovers (H)
Ayr United (A)

May:
St Mirren (H)

Obviously not wanting to tempt fate, and yes, one game at a time and all that*...

I think the run of three home games at the end of this month is absolutely crucial. Win them and we not only take 9 points, but we essentially end any title hopes that Falkirk/Morton might have. With 6 home games and 4 away games, we should be aiming as a minimum to win 5 out of 6 at ER and 2 out of 4 away.

*The above has been bolded because I know that people are going to write this anyway. :rolleyes:

Win our next 4 matches and we'll win the league.

Problem being, if we play the way we have in our last 4 league matches, I doubt we're capable of winning any of the next 4!

Lennon has one helluva job on his hands to get this lot playing consistently well.

Diclonius
02-03-2017, 11:37 AM
We'll beat United and Falkirk because the players bother in big games. It's the games against the teams in the bottom end who will stick 11 men behind the ball that will cause us problems.

ian cruise
02-03-2017, 11:39 AM
I see it being ten in March, 7 in April and 3 points on the last day of the season, which gives 20 points so hopefully your guess about that being enough is correct. For the record I believe it will be.

portyhibernian
02-03-2017, 11:41 AM
I think we should be aiming to win all of those games at home although I realise in our current form that's quite an ask. That would give us 18 points so a win and a couple of draws on the road in that scenario would see us over the line comfortably. More realistically I see us taking about 18 of the 30 points between now and the end of the season. Win at Tannadice and I think we will pick up a bit, lose and we are on thin ice and in danger of throwing it away.

hibbysam
02-03-2017, 11:48 AM
If we get 18 which includes a win at tannadice it would see united needing 26 points from 10 games, Morton 28 from 11 games and Falkirk 28 from 10. I can't see any of those sides picking up so many wins from their last 10 games.

Hibernia&Alba
02-03-2017, 11:53 AM
Win our next 4 matches and we'll win the league.

Problem being, if we play the way we have in our last 4 league matches, I doubt we're capable of winning any of the next 4!

Lennon has one helluva job on his hands to get this lot playing consistently well.

Correct, this is where Lennon has to earn his salary; it's crunch time.

Liking the username and pic too :agree:

Ozyhibby
02-03-2017, 12:11 PM
A win against Utd and I think we will be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan62
02-03-2017, 12:24 PM
It's always interesting to look at forthcoming fixtures and start speculating where the points will come from.

It's also interesting to look at the numbers. Our current points per game average is 1.96. Dundee United's is 1.76. Morton are on 1.68 and Falkirk are on 1.61.

IF those averages continued for the remaining 10 games, we'd win the league with just 63 points - or four wins out of the remaining 10 games.

Having said that, any of the sides could go on a run that improves their average so the best policy is, undoubtedly, to focus on winning each individual game.

02-03-2017, 12:30 PM
A win against Utd and I think we will be ok.

Aye but it would be classic hibs to beat Utd 3-0 or something, play brilliantly then go and lose to Dumbarton the following week. Thats become an all too common occurrence for us, we seem to be able to lift ourselves for the so called "bigger games" but struggle against smaller team who we really should be turning over quite easily.

Ozyhibby
02-03-2017, 12:32 PM
Aye but it would be classic hibs to beat Utd 3-0 or something, play brilliantly then go and lose to Dumbarton the following week. Thats become an all too common occurrence for us, we seem to be able to lift ourselves for the so called "bigger games" but struggle against smaller team who we really should be turning over quite easily.

Beat Utd and I honestly think 9 draws will be enough.

CyberSauzee
02-03-2017, 01:01 PM
If we get 18 which includes a win at tannadice it would see united needing 26 points from 10 games, Morton 28 from 11 games and Falkirk 28 from 10. I can't see any of those sides picking up so many wins from their last 10 games.

That's it in a nutshell. 6 wins from 10 including a week tomorrow should be enough. More to do with the weakness of other teams than our own scintillating displays.

West lower
02-03-2017, 01:21 PM
We'll beat United and Falkirk because the players bother in big games. It's the games against the teams in the bottom end who will stick 11 men behind the ball that will cause us problems.

Both Dunfermline and St.Mirren had a go at us and totally outplayed us.

Fuzzywuzzy
02-03-2017, 01:26 PM
We will win this league and I hope we retain the cup. In the summer, we will be a club that players will want to play for.

snooky
02-03-2017, 01:28 PM
We buried the derogatory expression attached to us with one historic header last year .
I'm praying we don't give them the ammo to resurrect it.

Unseen work
02-03-2017, 01:48 PM
The ridiculous thing about that list is that I should be looking at it and thinking we will win 90% of the games.

I just don't though, right now I have no confidence in us in the league at all.

rcarter1
02-03-2017, 01:49 PM

Its not even the teams that stick 11 behind the ball. St Mirren and Dunfermline had a go and were rewarded. I agree its down to whether the players are up for it. When they are up for it we should win the majority of games. When we are not up for it......

MacBean
02-03-2017, 02:03 PM
18 points, 5 wins (3 of which v Utd, Morton and Falkirk) 3 draws (away to Morton being 1).

Utd, Morton, and Falkirk will all take points from each other

GreenCastle
02-03-2017, 03:19 PM

March:
Dundee United (A)
Dumbarton (H)
Falkirk (H)
Morton (H)

April:
Dunfermline (A)
Morton (A)
Queen of the South (H)
Raith Rovers (H)
Ayr United (A)

May:
St Mirren (H)

Is it possible to get our home games and away games in a list and Dundee Utd / Mortons and Falkirk ?

Moulin Yarns
02-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Is it possible to get our home games and away games in a list and Dundee Utd / Mortons and Falkirk ?

It's a start.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-championship/fixtures
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-championship/fixtures)

High-On-Hibs
02-03-2017, 03:27 PM
On current form, we'd be lucky to get 10 points out of those 30. There needs to be a drastic upturn in our performances. We have 10 cup finals ahead of us.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2017, 03:46 PM
Aye but it would be classic hibs to beat Utd 3-0 or something, play brilliantly then go and lose to Dumbarton the following week. Thats become an all too common occurrence for us, we seem to be able to lift ourselves for the so called "bigger games" but struggle against smaller team who we really should be turning over quite easily.Dumbarton last won at Easter Road in 1984 so I don't really see that as a common occurrence. We'll win that game comfortably, it is the others that will be close.

02-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Dumbarton last won at Easter Road in 1984 so I don't really see that as a common occurrence. We'll win that game comfortably, it is the others that will be close.

I wasn't meaning Dumbarton in particular. I meant that all too often we've seen us get a good result in a big game all to only be brought back down to earth with a clatter by losing to a smaller team the following game.

where'stheslope
02-03-2017, 03:52 PM
I've said it on other threads, that must not give anything away that the chasing group can get belief that we can be caught.

Then disaster, we go and lose to the bottom of our league club???

The big game now is Dundee United, win and we still have our 7 point advantage, lose and with their game in hand it could be down to 1 point!!!

The other teams playing to get into the play offs will be no easy games either.

Why we love to be Hibs Fans!!!!!!

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2017, 03:54 PM
I wasn't meaning Dumbarton in particular. I meant that all too often we've seen us get a good result in a big game all to only be brought back down to earth with a clatter by losing to a smaller team the following game.We have only lost 3 times in 26 games, it doesn't happen often at all.

greenpaper55
02-03-2017, 03:55 PM
If you had seen last night you would not see many points comping our way.

SlickShoes
02-03-2017, 03:57 PM
The players should be treating all upcoming games as cup finals, but they won't and we will stutter through them. If we keep going as we are I have no idea which games we will manage to win, just hope it's enough.

hibbysam
02-03-2017, 04:07 PM
I've said it on other threads, that must not give anything away that the chasing group can get belief that we can be caught.

Then disaster, we go and lose to the bottom of our league club???

The big game now is Dundee United, win and we still have our 7 point advantage, lose and with their game in hand it could be down to 1 point!!!

The other teams playing to get into the play offs will be no easy games either.

Why we love to be Hibs Fans!!!!!!

Win and we have a 10 point gap...

emerald green
02-03-2017, 06:13 PM

I'd imagine supporters of Dundee Utd, Morton, and Falkirk will be thinking more or less the same thing.

Jim44
02-03-2017, 06:24 PM
The ridiculous thing about that list is that I should be looking at it and thinking we will win 90% of the games.

I just don't though, right now I have no confidence in us in the league at all.

We are more than capable of winning all our remaining games but, unfortunately, experience tells us that we won't. We've got to rely on our closest opponents also losing games and the chances are that they will. On balance we are in a comfortable position but we can't take it for granted.

hibbysam
02-03-2017, 06:28 PM
I'd imagine supporters of Dundee Utd, Morton, and Falkirk will be thinking more or less the same thing.

If those clubs only win 20 points between now and the end of the season then they should be nowhere near us. I'd be majorly disappointed and we wouldn't deserve to win the league if we got 10-12 points from 30, when it includes home games against Dumbarton St Mirren and Raith, and away against Ayr.

emerald green
02-03-2017, 06:36 PM
If those clubs only win 20 points between now and the end of the season then they should be nowhere near us. I'd be majorly disappointed and we wouldn't deserve to win the league if we got 10-12 points from 30, when it includes home games against Dumbarton St Mirren and Raith, and away against Ayr.

In Hibs last three games against St Mirren, Raith Rovers and Ayr they won 2 out of 9 points.

It's in Hibs hands still, but they have to start winning games now. Not drawing, especially at home.

hibbysam
02-03-2017, 06:58 PM
In Hibs last three games against St Mirren, Raith Rovers and Ayr they won 2 out of 9 points.

It's in Hibs hands still, but they have to start winning games now. Not drawing, especially at home.

Totally agree, however as I said if we pick up 2 from 9 again at home to those sides then we don't deserve to go up.

Fifehibby74
02-03-2017, 07:01 PM
There is a great wee web site soccer stats that looks at form guide for last 6 and 10 games. Most United have taken over 10 game cycle is 22 points I think. Most we've taken in 18!

Morton have taken 19 over last 10 games.

So if we can string a few wins together (need at least one to get some confidence back) I think another 18 points over 10 games should be enough unless United have a major upsurge in form.

I think there will be a few surprises good and bad over the coming weeks as nearly every team In the league has something to play/fight for.

As I've been saying for ages we should be home and dry but we've taken our usual February dip in league form.

WS Hibs
02-03-2017, 07:17 PM

Hibs home games
Dumbarton: 18th March
Falkirk: 25th March
Morton: 29th March
Queen of the South: 15th March
Raith Rovers: 22nd March (will be moved if Hibs reach the Scottish Cup semi finals)
St Mirren: 6th March

Hibs away games
Dundee United: 10th March
Dunfermline: 1st April
Morton: 8th April
Ayr: 29th April

Dundee United's games
Hibs (H): 10th March
St Mirren (A): 15th March (their game in hand)
Raith (A): 18th March
Ayr (H): 28th March

Queen of the South (A): 1st April
Falkirk (H): 8th April
Dunfermline (H): 11th April (will be a new game in hand because they play in IrnBru Cup final when we play Falkirk)
Ayr (A): 15th April
St Mirren (H): 22nd April
Dumbarton (H): 29th April

Morton (A): 6th May

I'll post Falkirk and Morton's up in a bit. But looking at their fixtures, there's a potentially huge day coming up on 8th April. Dundee United home to Falkirk and Hibs going to Morton. Could be massive depending on how this next month goes.

hibsboy69
02-03-2017, 08:16 PM
We are more than capable of winning all our remaining games but, unfortunately, experience tells us that we won't. We've got to rely on our closest opponents also losing games and the chances are that they will. On balance we are in a comfortable position but we can't take it for granted.

If Dun Utd beat us again at Tannadice next Friday (very possible), then win their game in hand (again very possible) then we are only ONE point clear of a poor Dun Utd team :no way:

That WOULDN'T be "comfortable" James.............would it ?:worried:

hibbysam
02-03-2017, 08:21 PM
If Dun Utd beat us again at Tannadice next Friday (very possible), then win their game in hand (again very possible) then we are only ONE point clear of a poor Dun Utd team :no way:

That WOULDN'T be "comfortable" James.............would it ?:worried:

I've not seen anything from United that says they are more likely to win next Friday that we are. There is more chance of us winning next week than there is of united winning two on the spin, which they haven't done since the start of December.

hibsboy69
02-03-2017, 08:33 PM
I've not seen anything from United that says they are more likely to win next Friday that we are. There is more chance of us winning next week than there is of united winning two on the spin, which they haven't done since the start of December.

If you read my post again I said that Dun Utd are a poor team.

However :-

1. We've just been humped 2-0 (going on 4-0) by the team who are bottom of the league
2. Dun Utd beat us at Tannadice the last time......and the game next Fri is 50/50 IMHO (therefore they could quite conceivably beat us again!)
3. If Dun Utd do beat us then win their game in hand (again possible) the they are only ONE point behind us

Worrying:worried:

We should have this league sewn up by now FFS.

Agree ?

hibbysam
02-03-2017, 08:43 PM
If you read my post again I said that Dun Utd are a poor team.

However :-

1. We've just been humped 2-0 (going on 4-0) by the team who are bottom of the league
2. Dun Utd beat us at Tannadice the last time......and the game next Fri is 50/50 IMHO (therefore they could quite conceivably beat us again!)
3. If Dun Utd do beat us then win their game in hand (again possible) the they are only ONE point behind us

Worrying:worried:

We should have this league sewn up by now FFS.

Agree ?

I agree with your last line. As I said on current form it's just as likely we will beat them next week than they are to win two on the spin. I'm all for being realistic regarding our form, but please remember who it is you are comparing it to. Also, they were fortunate to beat us at tannadice and we pumped them silly 4 weeks later.

We may well lose next week, but we could also quite easily be ten clear with just 9 to play after it.

IberianHibernian
02-03-2017, 10:02 PM
Hibs home games
Dumbarton: 18th March
Falkirk: 25th March
Morton: 29th March
Queen of the South: 15th March
Raith Rovers: 22nd March (will be moved if Hibs reach the Scottish Cup semi finals)
St Mirren: 6th March

Hibs away games
Dundee United: 10th March
Dunfermline: 1st April
Morton: 8th April
Ayr: 29th April

Dundee United's games
Hibs (H): 10th March
St Mirren (A): 15th March (their game in hand)
Raith (A): 18th March
Ayr (H): 28th March

Queen of the South (A): 1st April
Falkirk (H): 8th April
Dunfermline (H): 11th April (will be a new game in hand because they play in IrnBru Cup final when we play Falkirk)
Ayr (A): 15th April
St Mirren (H): 22nd April
Dumbarton (H): 29th April

Morton (A): 6th May

I'll post Falkirk and Morton's up in a bit. But looking at their fixtures, there's a potentially huge day coming up on 8th April. Dundee United home to Falkirk and Hibs going to Morton. Could be massive depending on how this next month goes.Lots of scenarios but one is us having to beat St Mirren on last day while Morton v Dundee United is a draw . Hopefully we`ll have clinched promotion before and St M have avoided relegation so both teams can go for a win with a few younger players getting a chance as we rest players before cup final .

Nicho87
02-03-2017, 10:28 PM
Win our home games would be a start

Dav1986
02-03-2017, 11:13 PM
This month is massive with games against utd, Falkirk and morton. Win those 3 and it's done. I even think 7 out of 9 in those games would give us enough distance and not enough games for others to catch us.

Although with the form of last few weeks it's hard to see us taking enough points from them.

Borderhibbie76
03-03-2017, 08:03 AM
If you had seen last night you would not see many points comping our way.
Swings n roundabouts tho...if we can somehow take the Derby form.into he next 10 games mate we will win the league no probs. This team are capable of that we just have to hope they deliver

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk