Sir David Gray
02-03-2017, 07:45 AM
Passed away aged 73.

theonlywayisup
02-03-2017, 07:48 AM
Sad news - one of the Scottish greats

Hibernia&Alba
02-03-2017, 07:50 AM
That is sad to hear. An important part of the greatest ever Scottish club side.

Bill Milne
02-03-2017, 07:59 AM
Coming so soon after Alex Young, this is hard to take. The greats of Scottish football seem to be dying at an ever-accelerating rate.

flash
02-03-2017, 08:00 AM
Sad week with the Billy McNeill stuff too.

Jim44
02-03-2017, 08:01 AM
R.I.P. Excellent player in a great team.

BH Hibs
02-03-2017, 08:04 AM
R.I.P a true Scottish football legend.

wazoo1875
02-03-2017, 08:17 AM
Very sad news indeed, RIP Tommy

Golden Bear
02-03-2017, 08:43 AM
Very sad news. RIP Tommy.

Kato
02-03-2017, 08:57 AM
RIP Tommy, great player.

His cameo in Pat Stanton's Testimonial in a Hibs strip still brings a smile.

Sammy7nil
02-03-2017, 09:11 AM
RIP seemed a nice guy and a great player

lucky
02-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Doubt another Scot will ever score in two European finals.

Hiber-nation
02-03-2017, 09:15 AM
RIP Tommy. Got his autograph after a hearts v Celtic game at Tynie, nice guy.

I remember when he was playing for Dundee in the later stages of his career in a game at tynie, Tommy was booting every hearts player up and down the park and the ref just turned a blind eye, the hearts fans were going ballistic :greengrin

jdships
02-03-2017, 09:46 AM
" A legend in his lifetime "
Will always remember that goal he scored in 1967
RIP " Big Man "

heretoday
02-03-2017, 09:53 AM
He was the hard man of the team with a ferocious shot. Off the field he was charming and intelligent.

Forza Fred
02-03-2017, 09:56 AM
" A legend in his lifetime "
Will always remember that goal he scored in 1967
RIP " Big Man "

Remember him well playing for Celtic against Hibs at Easter Road as well.

Sorry to hear the news.

HibeesLittleHel
02-03-2017, 10:08 AM
RIP Tommy. Got his autograph after a hearts v Celtic game at Tynie, nice guy.

I remember when he was playing for Dundee in the later stages of his career in a game at tynie, Tommy was booting every hearts player up and down the park and the ref just turned a blind eye, the hearts fans were going ballistic :greengrin

One of the lasting memories I have of Tommy was when he chased a Spaniard up the pitch booting his backside as he went! A legend sir!

Sergey
02-03-2017, 10:09 AM
Tommy used to work in the same office building as me circa 1985 on St Vincent Street, Glasgow. He was selling life assurance products for Royal Liver and we often bumped into each other in the foyer and lift. A true gent who would be happy to rip the piss (in a nice way) if Hibs had a poor result.

He had a brief stint at Albion Rovers as manager which was to help out the then owner who was a personal friend.

I'm sorry to hear that he's passed away.

CMurdoch
02-03-2017, 10:23 AM
One of the lasting memories I have of Tommy was when he chased a Spaniard up the pitch booting his backside as he went! A legend sir!

Think you are meaning the Scotland v West Germany game when he chased Helmet Haller round the pitch before kicking him up the arse.
All the boys laughed about it at Primary School the next day. My other similar memory of TG growing up was everybody wanted to shoot as hard as Tam Gemmell.
No Scottish player in a Scottish team will play in and score goals in 2 Champions League Finals.
Given he was a full back it is even more remarkable.
RIP Tommy Gemmell

--------
02-03-2017, 11:11 AM
Sorry to hear of his death, but I have to say he was one of the dirtiest players I've ever seen.

HoboHarry
02-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Sorry to hear of his death, but I have to say he was one of the dirtiest players I've ever seen.
Be magnanimous Doddie. It was a different time and a different game then.......

James70
02-03-2017, 11:34 AM

Yep, I remember that too though as mentioned it was a German he booted, also his goal in the '67 final. :wink:

monktonharp
02-03-2017, 11:56 AM
R.I.P big Tam . a great player

HibeesLittleHel
02-03-2017, 01:01 PM

I stand corrected. it was a German and still a memory that has lasted all these years!

Lago
02-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Passed away aged 73.
Sad, starting to see a lot of players who were young men when I watched them pass away.

Geo_1875
02-03-2017, 01:02 PM

Similar to Danny McGrain he'd be allowed have a few kicks at his winger in the first 5 minutes and then stroll through the game. It's easy to look good when your opponent is hobbling.

Sad news though.

esjorto
02-03-2017, 04:57 PM
Very sad news. R.I.P. big Tommy.

ginger_rice
02-03-2017, 05:46 PM
I got to know Big Tam well after he took over the Lady of the Lake hotel in Bridge of Allan, he really was a true gent, always interested in who you were and what you had to say.

True story he was taking part in a sports quiz in a Stirling pub, question asked was "who was the first Scottish player to score a goal in two European cup finals"? Quick as a flash Big Gemmell answered "Kenny Dalgleish" quiz master "Wrong it was you" :greengrin

Last time I saw him was at Forthbank at a Stirling Albion game where he ripped the pish put of me for 90 minutes after Hibs had got beat in the Friday Night game!

Carheenlea
02-03-2017, 07:09 PM
RIP Tommy, great player.

His cameo in Pat Stanton's Testimonial in a Hibs strip still brings a smile.

So I can say I've seen him play then!

An iconic Scottish figure and, listening to some of the anecdotes on travelling to Lisbon on Saturdays "Off the Ball" show, the 60's and and early 70's must have been great times to be a Scottish football fan.

Deansy
02-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Think you are meaning the Scotland v West Germany game when he chased Helmet Haller round the pitch before kicking him up the arse.
All the boys laughed about it at Primary School the next day. My other similar memory of TG growing up was everybody wanted to shoot as hard as Tam Gemmell.
No Scottish player in a Scottish team will play in and score goals in 2 Champions League Finals.
Given he was a full back it is even more remarkable.
RIP Tommy Gemmell

Video of that incident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9TTvvICNHA

Ha-ha-ha - Gemmel wasn't giving a ****** was he, Haller was getting it !!

Just wish some of our current players had some of his 'fight' in them !

RIP Tommy Gemmell - a quality character !

boomboom77
02-03-2017, 08:06 PM
https://youtu.be/BsCOydsjBmg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lapsedhibee
02-03-2017, 08:25 PM
I stand corrected. it was a German and still a memory that has lasted all these years!

He also took exception to an Argentinian spitting in his and his team-mates' faces in the Battle of Montevideo and booted him in the baws for revenge. (2mins55 into this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95jKohSPSDo))

Kato
03-03-2017, 07:45 AM
So I can say I've seen him play then!

If you can't remember....... Gemmell was named as a sub that day, as was Jimmy Johnstone. Tommy made a huge fuss of warming up in front of the Celtic fans and they were all chanting his name as the substitution was arranged. At the last minute he stripped his trackie to reveal a Hibs strip and came on for us. The Celtic fans did laugh but only after being totally struck dumb for a few seconds.

--------
03-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Be magnanimous Doddie. It was a different time and a different game then.......

Speak no ill of the dead?

It might have been a different game, but he still stood out.

I'm sorry he's dead, but there was nothing I liked about him as a 'footballer'.

Alex Young, on the other hand ... :not worth

southsider
03-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Was it not a German ? West Germany v Scotland in a European International.