View Full Version : Lennon - What next

Sammy7nil
01-03-2017, 09:24 PM
He has tried -
He will not tolerate complacency - All season
Given them a rocket - Raith
Massive praise - Hearts
Arm round their shoulder - Dunfermline

NONE of them has worked we cannot string two passes together let alone two wins.

We desperately need Hanlon and Dylan fit to give the squad a lift if that can't happen soon I just wonder what Neil tries next?

Andy74
01-03-2017, 09:26 PM
He has tried -
Massive praise - Hearts

NONE of them has worked we cannot string two passes together let alone two wins.

We desperately need Hanlon and Dylan fit to give the squad a lift if that can't happen soon I just wonder what Neil tries next?

Just playing Grant Holt until he drops would be a start.

madhatter
01-03-2017, 09:27 PM
He has tried -
Massive praise - Hearts

Has to be the youngsters for me. Attitude of experienced players stinks and what was worrying is not a single player in that match seemed to urge others on and try to organise. What happens when you get a bus full of passengers? A crash.

Sammy7nil
01-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Just playing Grant Holt until he drops would be a start.

I am not disagreeing but if that is our only hope we are in big trouble Holt just does not score.

JackLadd
01-03-2017, 09:29 PM
I would give them tomorrow off, just rest up and come in on Friday for a light session and a sit down. No point flogging a dead horse.

truehibernian
01-03-2017, 09:30 PM
Don't play one striker against the bottom side in the league - incomprehensible selection tonight, seriously has me questioning his tactical nous. Baffling first 11.

Jim44
He has tried -
Massive praise - Hearts

If we need them to give us a lift we're more Donald Ducked than I thought. I don't think their injuries are going to clear up in time to get us out of the rut we are beginning to settle into.

Unseen work
I don't get how we are so tired?

Nicho87
01-03-2017, 09:31 PM
Don't play one striker against the bottom side in the league - incomprehensible selection tonight, seriously has me questioning his tactical nous. Baffling first 11.

Spot on

HibbiesandtheBaddies
01-03-2017, 09:31 PM
I would give them tomorrow off, just rest up and come in on Friday for a light session and a sit down. No point flogging a dead horse.

He did that after the derby replay.

Michael
01-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Has to be the youngsters for me. Attitude of experienced players stinks and what was worrying is not a single player in that match seemed to urge others on and try to organise. What happens when you get a bus full of passengers? A crash.

Then why aren't our players making any impact???

wfortune
01-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Drop mcginn, he hasn't looked fully fit since he came back

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Moody Blues
01-03-2017, 09:34 PM

Been working a lot of hours recently and the wee one teething, so not getting good nights sleep

madhatter
01-03-2017, 09:35 PM
Saving it for the end. Its looking like a slow-mo decline of an elevator before the eventual thud at the end as the cable snaps.

How in gods name can't these players learn after 3 seasons? I know football players aren't the brightest but come on...

Hibernia&Alba
01-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Shake things up against Ayr by dropping some of them, then let's see if they have a response. They need a kick up the erse.

JK Rolling
01-03-2017, 09:37 PM

This with bells on.

Not In The Know
01-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Shape of the team was totally wrong. That's the managers fault. Fyvie and Bartley are static McGinn Starts to deep and shinnie had no runners of him to feed. When he did he was to slow to find them.

These last 3 league games are the ones that cost us the previous two seasons. Thankfully its without the poppy thieves and Huns.

Heisenberg
01-03-2017, 09:50 PM
This with bells on.

It's been the same all season. Never picks a settled team and often sets us out very defensive. Fyvie and Bartley in the same midfield is simply dreadful. Boyle is a poor footballer. McGinn has been posted missing for most of the season bar his brilliant cameo vs Dundee United. Now Lennon has produced a couple of very good tactical lineups, mainly vs Hearts and United at home, but the rest of the season has been a joke. Commons dragged us out of a hole over Christmas and New Year and we have been clinging on hoping not to get dragged back in ever since.

Sammy7nil
01-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Shake things up against Ayr by dropping some of them, then let's see if they have a response. They need a kick up the erse.

I think this is a good shout the only problem is we desperately need the semi final cash.

A Hi-Bee
01-03-2017, 10:08 PM
From his after the game interview and it pretty much sums up what I seen in this game as well.

Hibernian head coach Neil Lennon:"St Mirren thoroughly deserved to win - the hungrier team won, so I've no complaints. We've been on a very good run, but we're stepping off the gas a little bit, and you can't do that.
"We give them all the warnings before the game and they still didn't respond. All the 50-50s, second balls went to St Mirren because they wanted it more. It happens, it hasn't happened very often, it's a game gone, and we're giving other teams encouragement. We have to resurrect it very quickly and get back to where we were a week ago.
"That was the poorest we've played this season. We didn't look ready for the fight, and St Mirren were excellent - the best performance any team's played against us this season."

Sammy7nil
01-03-2017, 10:12 PM
From his after the game interview and it pretty much sums up what I seen in this game as well.

Hibernian head coach Neil Lennon:"St Mirren thoroughly deserved to win - the hungrier team won, so I've no complaints. We've been on a very good run, but we're stepping off the gas a little bit, and you can't do that.
"We give them all the warnings before the game and they still didn't respond. All the 50-50s, second balls went to St Mirren because they wanted it more. It happens, it hasn't happened very often, it's a game gone, and we're giving other teams encouragement. We have to resurrect it very quickly and get back to where we were a week ago.
"That was the poorest we've played this season. We didn't look ready for the fight, and St Mirren were excellent - the best performance any team's played against us this season."

The simple question after that answer is why is that the case Neil? Are the players stupid or are your tactics wrong. Is your message falling on deaf ears? Why?

DaveF
01-03-2017, 10:14 PM
Hibernian head coach Neil Lennon:..... and St Mirren were excellent - the best performance any team's played against us this season."

Well, apart from when Dunfermline ripped us apart on Saturday, Neil.

emerald green
01-03-2017, 10:17 PM

The bit in bold - since when?

Heisenberg
01-03-2017, 10:18 PM
He's just admitted the players didn't listen to him and didn't want it enough. Not the best thing to hear from the manager.

A Hi-Bee
01-03-2017, 10:21 PM
He's just admitted the players didn't listen to him and didn't want it enough. Not the best thing to hear from the manager.

He is saying it as it is, up to the players to respond, the coaching team warned them before the went on to the park the players have no responded.

A Hi-Bee
01-03-2017, 10:23 PM
The simple question after that answer is why is that the case Neil? Are the players stupid or are your tactics wrong. Is your message falling on deaf ears? Why?

I am guessing like most others that this would be a matter between the manager and the players.

Heisenberg
01-03-2017, 10:24 PM
He is saying it as it is, up to the players to respond, the coaching team warned them before the went on to the park the players have no responded.

So who is the problem with? The players for not responding or the manager for not getting them up for it? Either way this team should know by now what it takes in this league and how ****ing massive it is that we get promoted this season. They haven't shown it in the last few games so we can only hope it improves quickly.

calumhibee1
01-03-2017, 10:26 PM

Said the same thing. We went out of the other two cups at the first hurdle, had a walk in the park against Bonnyrigg that required very little effort so other than that we've had 2 tough games in the derbies ontop of the league games. Keep in mind we missed the whole group stage of the league cup and I'd doubt we've played any more games than any of the other teams yet we look absolutely gubbed from the first whistle. Whatever the reason is, if they really are that tired, I would have them doing next to nothing at training before this weekend other than watching videos of Ayr and going over a game plan. Then I'd give them until Wednesday off on the condition they rest up and don't go out every night, what's the point in having them in to train only for them to be shattered for the games?

Sammy7nil
01-03-2017, 10:27 PM
I am guessing like most others that this would be a matter between the manager and the players.

And very very soon a question he will be asked by the press and media should this run continue. They may phrase it better than me :greengrin

emerald green
01-03-2017, 10:29 PM

That's true, but as a supporter I would like to know / understand why the players performed the way they did tonight, and what is wrong with their attitude. Are they just mentally weak, or what is it?

If there's something untoward going on behind the scenes, then Hibs are in trouble.

A Hi-Bee
01-03-2017, 10:30 PM
And very very soon a question he will be asked by the press and media should this run continue. They may phrase it better than me :greengrin

Then his answer should be interesting.

northstandhibby
01-03-2017, 10:38 PM
That's true, but as a supporter I would like to know / understand why the players performed the way they did tonight, and what is wrong with their attitude. Are they just mentally weak, or what is it?

If there's something untoward going on behind the scenes, then Hibs are in trouble.

I think we got the tactics wrong tonight against a very busy fast paced and dare I say it quite talented St mirren side tonight. It could be we underestimated their desire and fight to win the battles tonight. We were very slow at building up the play and then generally ended up hoofing it up to the front. Got to sharpen up with better ball control and movement off the ball. We need to play every week like we did against the yams.

glory glory

emerald green
01-03-2017, 10:46 PM
I think we got the tactics wrong tonight against a very busy fast paced and dare I say it quite talented St mirren side tonight. It could be we underestimated their desire and fight to win the battles tonight. We were very slow at building up the play and then generally ended up hoofing it up to the front. Got to sharpen up with better ball control and movement off the ball. We need to play every week like we did against the yams.

glory glory

So the tactics were wrong, the players attitude was wrong, they played hoofball, ball control was poor as was movement off the ball.

This against the team currently sitting bottom of the Championship. :rolleyes:

pacorosssco
01-03-2017, 10:48 PM

No different to results last season. In fact I think slightly better. Lennon doing all that can. Stubbs only got rise last game after running out results steam. Very similar too last season

houstonhibbee
01-03-2017, 11:27 PM

glory glory
with the best will in the world tactics matter not a jot if the players collective prefermonce levels and desire is well below an acceptable level, coupled with several players just totally off the pace. Gray, Shinnie, Fyvie and Boyle specifically. This was several notches down from Raith Rovers game which earned a rollicking.

northstandhibby
01-03-2017, 11:35 PM
with the best will in the world tactics matter not a jot if the players collective prefermonce levels and desire is well below an acceptable level, coupled with several players just totally off the pace. Gray, Shinnie, Fyvie and Boyle specifically. This was several notches down from Raith Rovers game which earned a rollicking.

I totally agree with you, it was overall a substandard performance from the vast majority of players tonight. I'm merely wondering if we underestimated the desire, passion and pace of that St mirren team that certainly to me did not look like a bottom of the league side.

Here's hoping we improve from that starting with Ayr on Saturday.

glory glory

pacorosssco
01-03-2017, 11:49 PM
We just need stick together get over line. Players tired and injured. Good enough to see over line if dont panic.

J-C
02-03-2017, 12:31 AM
When was the last time we played the same team 2-3 weeks in a row, Holt in, then out, lets try Keatings, no we'll go with Shinnie, oh wait a minute lets try Boyle instead, we need guile and pace so lets go with Bartley and Fyvie instead.

Swedish hibee
02-03-2017, 01:44 AM
Good question you ask. . One I find myself asking frequently!

Basildon Hibs
02-03-2017, 02:00 AM
We just need stick together get over line. Players tired and injured. Good enough to see over line if dont panic.

'Tired' Against part-time teams? ***** off, son.

Booked4Being-Ugly
02-03-2017, 02:10 AM
There seems to be a general malaise and apathy creeping back into the club that is reminiscent of the reasons why we ended up down here in the 1st place.

We were then told that results like the ones recently wouldn't be tolerated under NL. However, right now the way they're playing, the team and the players look nothing more than Scottish championship standard.

NL was right when he said the remaining fixtures were all cup finals but if that's the case then why are the players not up for it?

This is a big season for NL, the players and Hibs as a whole and if we can't win this league outright I really wouldn't fancy our chances in the playoffs with the attitude we have ATM.

i said at the beginning of the season that we have the best squad in the league and that our biggest opponent would be our own complacency. I hope to god we can sort this out quickly as right now we seem to be content simply bumbling along in this division trying to convince people that we're axtually an SPL club masquerading as a championship club when recent results have shown we'd more than likely struggle in the top league with this current squad.

NL and the players need to step up and get this sorted pronto as we will chuck this away otherwise.

houstonhibbee
02-03-2017, 02:17 AM
It would appear that the players are not good enough to maintain the performance levels required on a regular basis

NAE NOOKIE
02-03-2017, 02:55 AM
Perhaps training should be binned on Monday morning and all the players made to sit in a wee room at East Mains where Rod Petrie and Leeann Dempster will give them a two hour powerpoint presentation on what an utter ( insert bad swear word ) disaster it will be for this club to fail to achieve promotion.

If there is one lesson I would like the manager to learn its to pay attention to the evidence of his own eyes ..... when we have been brave we have won, he went for it against Dundee Utd and Hearts at ER and the outcome was spectacular. When he reverts to conservative we get dodgy results ....... there is no excuse for not playing two up front against any opposition in this league.

He needs to rest John McGinn on Saturday IMO in the last few games he has been poor on the ball, he knows it and is making up for it by working his backside off, that's admirable but its bloody killing him, you can see it. He needs to boot Fyvie squarely in the baws and tell him his last two 'performances' have been way below the standard expected from a player of his quality.

He needs to give Scott Martin a run out on Saturday and if he performs to the standard he has when given a run out previously then seriously consider him for Tannadice, especially if Fyvie plays like my granny again. He simply cant play Bartley, he will be vital in the Dundee Utd game and the fresher he is the better.

I've said it so much I'm even beginning to bore myself, but I make no apology for saying it again .............. the cup doesn't matter, all that matters is winning the league and if that means using the Ayr Utd game to rest players and try some new ones then that's what we must do.

JackLadd
02-03-2017, 03:13 AM
No way do we leave out SJM for Ayr. I'd go with same team that pumped hertz, only change Ambrose for Fonts. That 11 produced our best display of the season, stick to it.

Fife-Hibee
02-03-2017, 05:00 AM
The last thing we need on Saturday is a draw :-(

Gmack7
02-03-2017, 05:51 AM
Saving it for the end. Its looking like a slow-mo decline of an elevator before the eventual thud at the end as the cable snaps.

How in gods name can't these players learn after 3 seasons? I know football players aren't the brightest but come on...
The problem isn't that they don't learn it's that they're not very good

Jones28
02-03-2017, 06:01 AM
The boys will get a break through the week next week which will make a world of difference.

The signs are that they're knackered. Which begs the question why is NL sticking with McGinn especially, he hasn't looked right for a few weeks. Give him a rest FFS, it was like playing with a man down against Dunfermline.

eastmainsmsh
02-03-2017, 06:12 AM
Maybe could've put gray to centre half v Dunfermline when Fontaine went off thought we were going to gub the pars

Smartie
02-03-2017, 06:21 AM
The boys will get a break through the week next week which will make a world of difference.

The signs are that they're knackered. Which begs the question why is NL sticking with McGinn especially, he hasn't looked right for a few weeks. Give him a rest FFS, it was like playing with a man down against Dunfermline.

He had a decent stretch off in December/ January as he recovered from his surgery.

Of all our players he's the one who has the least right to look knackered.

Gatecrasher
02-03-2017, 06:26 AM
'Tired' Against part-time teams? ***** off, son.

This isn't the same scenario as last season when we were playing 3 games a week for 4 or 5 weeks, we are in the middle of playing 6 in 2 weeks which is still a lot but we should have the squad to handle this. Maybe we don't? Our transfer policy hasn't matched the investment from the fans at all.

StPauli
02-03-2017, 06:31 AM
Spot on baffling tactics not for the first time this season.

Hiber-nation
02-03-2017, 06:33 AM

Why are they knackered? Training regime needs seriously looked at if that's the case. It's unacceptable.

You can talk about starting line-ups, formations etc etc but every player was dreadful last night, subs included.

StPauli
02-03-2017, 06:35 AM
When was the last time we played the same team 2-3 weeks in a row, Holt in, then out, lets try Keatings, no we'll go with Shinnie, oh wait a minute lets try Boyle instead, we need guile and pace so lets go with Bartley and Fyvie instead.
Agree totally, not sure he knows what the best team is for different teams. Surely a settled team with the perceived quality that we have should won most games.

Heisenberg
02-03-2017, 06:38 AM
Agree totally, not sure he knows what the best team is for different teams. Surely a settled team with the perceived quality that we have should won most games.

He hasn't got a scooby what his best team is and we're now into March! Fair enough the defence will be disrupted with injury but his midfield and forwards selection was baffling last night.

Moody Blues
02-03-2017, 06:50 AM

Does this make you a skoosher or a bedwetter

Jones28
02-03-2017, 06:55 AM
Why are they knackered? Training regime needs seriously looked at if that's the case. It's unacceptable.

You can talk about starting line-ups, formations etc etc but every player was dreadful last night, subs included.

They're either knackered or they aren't playing for the manager. The latter seems to be the most likely for a group of full-time, professional football players.

familyman
02-03-2017, 07:15 AM
Ok We know NL was/is a fighter and we have seen how he has tried to no avail sadly in some really important points wise league games..
I would like each player to explain why they do not deliver and how THEY plan to stop the rot.
The humiliation of still being in this league after what seems forever and the stress of failing in play offs last time around does not seem even now to have left any real legacy of pain and a determination to go up at all costs...Renewing a season ticket..well we will need to wait and see I guess. Explain your lack of cohesion and determination..no matter who is in the line up they need to give 100 and work as a team.....
and now we need a quick what we are ACTUALLY going to do about it rather than the usual each game is a cup final nonsense narrative.Injuries are part of the game so no excuse whatsoever...certainly not at this Championship level .....
COME ON HIBS how many warnings do you need!!:flag:

chinaman
02-03-2017, 07:17 AM
He hasn't got a scooby what his best team is and we're now into March! Fair enough the defence will be disrupted with injury but his midfield and forwards selection was baffling last night.

Lennons average at best ,
Just like hibs, in a dire league
Squeeky bum time for all us hibees

West lower
02-03-2017, 07:27 AM

I don't go along with tiredness either. We have had 2 good performances in 3 months.
Attitude is honking. Too many talking the talk, and just not doing it.

Waxy
02-03-2017, 07:28 AM

Yes i've been waking for no reason through the night and finding it difficult getting back to sleep.

mjhibby
02-03-2017, 07:30 AM
Shape of the team was totally wrong. That's the managers fault. Fyvie and Bartley are static McGinn Starts to deep and shinnie had no runners of him to feed. When he did he was to slow to find them.

These last 3 league games are the ones that cost us the previous two seasons. Thankfully its without the poppy thieves and Huns.

Formations only slight affect games. It was our willingness and attitude that swamped hertz. The effort of the two hearts games are clear to see and Holt's hamstring was bothering. Apart from playing Graham up front or keatings who was poor the last time he played he didn't have much choice. Injuries are hurting us and the quicker a few of them are back the better. McGinn is probably suffering from coming back too quickly after the op. A wee rest would help but unlikely to happen. We are where we are. Let's take care of sat then get ready for utd with maybe s couple of the injured 6 back.

Pete
02-03-2017, 07:36 AM
The players will have had a six day rest before we play United so we'll see if the "tiredness" theory holds water.

Unless you know the players or are an expert then you probably don't have a clue either so maybe it's best to be a bit more open minded.

Jpdhfc
02-03-2017, 07:37 AM

Spot on when we set up negative we suffer :confused:

Scorrie
02-03-2017, 08:09 AM
I don't go along with tiredness either. We have had 2 good performances in 3 months.
Attitude is honking. Too many talking the talk, and just not doing it.

This. Part time teams in our division don't look knackered. A poor excuse

Waxy
02-03-2017, 08:15 AM
I wa getting really tired of people saying we looked tired last year. We won the cup in the end.

loanheadhibby
02-03-2017, 08:19 AM
Lennon has played and managed at the highest level. That does not necessarily make you a good coach but he must know the difference between a good player and a bad player. We have too many poor players.

There is a good saying in that you can only pee with the equipment you've got.

I hope he get's us promoted and gets a chance to get rid of the dead wood at the club.

pacoluna
02-03-2017, 08:20 AM
Too Many mediocre players which is ok at this level. What isn't though is the inconsistency within their performances, Its unacceptable!

Ozyhibby
02-03-2017, 08:23 AM
He should be looking for an out of contract forward to bring in for the rest of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marleyhib
02-03-2017, 08:24 AM

Same against Raith

StPauli
02-03-2017, 08:47 AM
They're either knackered or they aren't playing for the manager. The latter seems to be the most likely for a group of full-time, professional football players.
I've heard its the latter, there is discontent with the methods and approaches being applied in the camp.

Baldy Foghorn
02-03-2017, 08:52 AM
I've heard its the latter, there is discontent with the methods and approaches being applied in the camp.

Where are you hearing this from?:confused:

West lower
02-03-2017, 08:53 AM

Even if they don't like the manager. They should be playing their hearts out for us. This team has been given a lot of slack on account of the cup win. Time to get over it and do the business this year for the support and club.

green with envy
02-03-2017, 08:56 AM

I heard this for the first time at the game last night from one of the development players dad.

At the time i thought it may have been sour grapes as I never usually pay attention to those sort of rumours.

ancient hibee
02-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Just as they did last season the players are showing that they can't cope with being favourites.They're fine as underdogs,last year showed it,but th y don't have the winning mentality that Hearts and Rangers showed in getting promoted.
As for not rating the manager's methods clearly someone taking an average team to the last 16 of the CL knows nothing.

Andy74
02-03-2017, 09:20 AM

If that's the case then tough - Lennon as he has been saying recently knows what good teams do and how they work. Very few of our players know this and they continue to play this way when the heat is on.

I trust Lennon to get us through this year and then bring in players who know what is needed.

Baldy Foghorn
02-03-2017, 09:21 AM
If that's the case then tough - Lennon as he has been saying recently knows what good teams do and how they work. Very few of our players know this and they continue to play this way when the heat is on.

I trust Lennon to get us through this year and then bring in players who know what is needed.

:aok:

Smartie
02-03-2017, 09:26 AM
The players should be doing it for themselves.

Being a Hibs legend and having the Scottish Cup win on their cv will be great for them, and they'll be getting bought pints well into old age off the back of it.

Becoming part of a highly paid Hibs squad who spent 4 years outside the top division for the first time in our history isn't so good.

Players are professionals and want paid. The deals on offers for players whose last action was failing at Hibs will be vastly inferior to those on offer to those who might have succeeded.

Players will say what they need to in the press but at the end of the day the majority of them couldn't give a hoot about the club or the fans and they don't need to. If they work hard and earn their wages then the fans and club will be happy enough.

Having said that, I've not noticed a lack of effort. I think we're just playing crap, and that happens from time to time. The important thing is to shake yourselves out of it and shrug off an iffy half dozen games that even the best clubs have every season and leave it as just that, rather than allow it to develop into the kind of free fall that we seem to have made our trademark.

I simply don't think we're as good as we think we are and we're certainly not good enough to weather the injury and form problems we're currently having without a bit of difficulty.

northstandhibby
02-03-2017, 10:03 AM
I heard this for the first time at the game last night from one of the development players dad.

At the time i thought it may have been sour grapes as I never usually pay attention to those sort of rumours.

You must know whose dad it was so who is it that's spreading potentially fake rumours or is it you?

glory glory

Mainstandman
02-03-2017, 10:22 AM
It appears they can't cope with pressure of leading the division. However I did see holt on social media with a pint after the hearts game, supposed to be full time athletes. Straight after the hearts game should all have been about recovery.

Prob fair to say they need support more than ever.

Keith_M
02-03-2017, 11:02 AM
I think this is a good shout the only problem is we desperately need the semi final cash.

We desperately need to get promoted

WeeRussell
02-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Lennon has played and managed at the highest level. That does not necessarily make you a good coach but he must know the difference between a good player and a bad player. We have too many poor players.

I hope he get's us promoted and gets a chance to get rid of the dead wood at the club.

He inherited a decent squad of players, more than capable of winning this league convincingly. He's also had two transfer windows to tweak things as he sees fit.

I think Lennon will see us through and we'll win the league - but how many of our first team players do you want to get rid of, that weren't signed by Lennon?

we are hibs
02-03-2017, 11:54 AM
He should be looking for an out of contract forward to bring in for the rest of the season.

We are lacking more than just a striker.

every single player in that team was nowhere near good enough last night and haven't been for a while bar the hearts game. They've had a boot up the arse it's time some of them were dropped.

Biggie
02-03-2017, 11:54 AM
The players are not doing a Leicester on us are they ?
Regardless of whether or not they like the manager, they should be busting their balls for themselves, for their self respect, for us ffs !
Seems to me there's not enough "winners" in the team....guys who will not accept defeat.
Its either in you or not and the one's who can take it or leave it need punting at the earliest opportunity.
Lennon of all people should be instilling this winner mentality as celtc have scored many a late winner because they don't accept anything other than a win.....that's the type of player and mentality we need next season.

loanheadhibby
02-03-2017, 12:21 PM
He inherited a decent squad of players, more than capable of winning this league convincingly. He's also had two transfer windows to tweak things as he sees fit.

I think Lennon will see us through and we'll win the league - but how many of our first team players do you want to get rid of, that weren't signed by Lennon?

I'm yet to be convinced we have a decent squad of players as they've not showed it to me. I'd start with the following -

Gray, Stevenson, Keatings, Boyle, Fyvie, McGeoch (complete waste of a wage) & Bartley. Of his signings, Graham/Holt/Shinnie.

To be honest with you, there are not many I'd keep. Most of these guys are on 3rd chance to get us up. Where else in the world would you retain staff that fail to produce the goods?

loanheadhibby
02-03-2017, 12:26 PM
We are lacking more than just a striker.

every single player in that team was nowhere near good enough last night and haven't been for a while bar the hearts game. They've had a boot up the arse it's time some of them were dropped.

Agreed, but dropped for who? It's like we are scared to drop a left back or right back incase the one coming in is not a cup winner! Losers mentality that some players have been there for years and are guaranteed a game.

Are there no better right backs, left backs, centre halfs in the world? We must have the worst scouts in british football.

Dunbar Hibee
02-03-2017, 12:28 PM
I'm yet to be convinced we have a decent squad of players as they've not showed it to me. I'd start with the following -

Gray, Stevenson, Keatings, Boyle, Fyvie, McGeoch (complete waste of a wage) & Bartley. Of his signings, Graham/Holt/Shinnie.

To be honest with you, there are not many I'd keep. Most of these guys are on 3rd chance to get us up. Where else in the world would you retain staff that fail to produce the goods?

Got to say i'm glad you're not manager of our club.

Smartie
02-03-2017, 12:29 PM

He inherited some good players, that is for sure, but they failed to achieve what was expected of them in the league last year. They finished third, behind Falkirk and lost in the playoffs. We'd then lost some of our best players in Stokes and Henderson. Even Gunnarson was a very able squad player who we lost.

I don't get the feeling Lennon has been backed as well as he should in the transfer windows, whether that was down to him or some other factor. The last 2 transfer windows (3 tbh, last January was a bit of a disaster too) have had more of a whiff of the Petrie era than the LD one.

I don't think we have a good squad or a particularly good team. I think it is imbalanced and desperately lacks creativity and I think it has done for more than a year.

Stubbs made great strides to pick us up as quickly as he did following relegation but we've definitely faltered since about Christmas 2015.

We may have just about enough to see us win a pish league, but I don't believe for a second that Lennon inherited anything like as good a squad as most people believe, certainly not capable of fulfilling its most basic requirement which was to consistently score enough goals to put away Championship teams.

loanheadhibby
02-03-2017, 12:35 PM
Got to say i'm glad you're not manager of our club.

I'd be better than Lennon and you for that matter, Mike Bassett reigns supreme!!

Smartie
02-03-2017, 12:36 PM
Agreed, but dropped for who? It's like we are scared to drop a left back or right back incase the one coming in is not a cup winner! Losers mentality that some players have been there for years and are guaranteed a game.

Are there no better right backs, left backs, centre halfs in the world? We must have the worst scouts in british football.

Nobody is guaranteed a game but an injury crisis affecting our options in these positions and the fact that we are talking about players who are the best in their respective positions by some distance in this league mean they are all but guaranteed a game.

There are better players than them in world football, but there certainly aren't any better ones at Hibs right now that we should be playing so from that point of view our hands are tied.

These aren't our problem positions and haven't been for a while, albeit they have been poor over a couple of games.

I think it is a loser's mentality to want to ditch players who have consistently served us well over a long period of time after they've had a couple of bad games.

We've struggled for goals for more than a decade. That's where the attention should be focussed.

RamYer1902
02-03-2017, 12:45 PM
It appears they can't cope with pressure of leading the division. However I did see holt on social media with a pint after the hearts game, supposed to be full time athletes. Straight after the hearts game should all have been about recovery.

Prob fair to say they need support more than ever.

Holt was out with this wife after I believe.

If he wants to sit and have a pint after scoring and battering them then he can do as he pleases.

RamYer1902
02-03-2017, 12:52 PM

By just reading this, it's very obvious that you either don't go to games or you're a wind up merchant.

loanheadhibby
02-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Nobody is guaranteed a game but an injury crisis affecting our options in these positions and the fact that we are talking about players who are the best in their respective positions by some distance in this league mean they are all but guaranteed a game.

There are better players than them in world football, but there certainly aren't any better ones at Hibs right now that we should be playing so from that point of view our hands are tied.

These aren't our problem positions and haven't been for a while, albeit they have been poor over a couple of games.

I think it is a loser's mentality to want to ditch players who have consistently served us well over a long period of time after they've had a couple of bad games.

We've struggled for goals for more than a decade. That's where the attention should be focussed.

That's precisely my point. Is everyone telling me that in the last 3 years, we could not have not sourced a better player for every position in the team? What is our scouting network doing? Why did we not sign McGinns brother?

Goals come from all areas. Why can't we get a left back who crosses into the middle of the goal? Why does our right back not get 5/6 goals a season? If they are not doing it, ship them out (and using these positions in general terms).

high bee
02-03-2017, 01:00 PM
He stated weeks ago that we don't have the squad to go on a 13 game run which is worrying in this league.

Lack of goals outside of Cummings is the big issue followed by having a team of inconsistent performers. Unfortunately every year since we've gone down we've blown hot and cold and worryingly the cold spells tend to last quite a while.

I'd like to see him pick his best team and let them gel rather than constantly changing.

loanheadhibby
02-03-2017, 01:00 PM
By just reading this, it's very obvious that you either don't go to games or you're a wind up merchant.

In what respect am I winding up? I don't think these players are cutting it at Hibs. I would like to see better quality.

RamYer1902
02-03-2017, 01:03 PM
In what respect am I winding up? I don't think these players are cutting it at Hibs. I would like to see better quality.

All I can do is laugh. Some people like yourself need to have a long think.

Cause like it or not, last time I checked anyway, we were top of the league and in the Scottish Cup quarter final.

high bee
02-03-2017, 01:05 PM
That's precisely my point. Is everyone telling me that in the last 3 years, we could not have not sourced a better player for every position in the team? What is our scouting network doing? Why did we not sign McGinns brother?

Goals come from all areas. Why can't we get a left back who crosses into the middle of the goal? Why does our right back not get 5/6 goals a season? If they are not doing it, ship them out (and using these positions in general terms).

Our defence has been solid throughout, getting goal scoring or better attacking full backs could see us weak at the back like Sevco have been with Tavernier.

I would've kept the back line, I'm happy with this years quality of front line and think all the issues are from an ineffective midfield and thus a lack of good chances. We have been screaming out for good wingers for years (I like Boyle but he's not a great winger). Added problems this year that we keep playing defensive minded midfielders against the lower teams when we should be controlling the game in the attacking half.

loanheadhibby
02-03-2017, 01:09 PM

Cause like it or not, last time I checked anyway, we were top of the league and in the Scottish Cup quarter final.

We are top of the Championship (2nd tier for 3 years in a row). In effect, the 13th best team in Scotland! Last year we were 15th best team in Scotland.

Thankfully in cups we are fantastic, no issues in one off games.

Over the course of a season, to date not good enough. Hopefully that will change.

eastcoasthibby
02-03-2017, 01:12 PM

Exactly this why ..what is it going to take to get them playing g anywhere near capacity ...the whole lot of them look of the pace ..as if they just need to turn up and not work for what they get .I don't think having Boyle and Cummings up top is any use neither has a football brain to come of markers and touches like elephants, no presence against defenders so no out ball for defence or midfield so can't get out of our half as ball comes back as quick as it goes out so no respite !!! But most of all we were a mess show wise ...that performance for 90 minutes has been seen for half games or half an hour in games for couple of months ..= attitude and tactics !!!

Smartie
02-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Because he's nowhere near as good as the McGinn we have, albeit he had a good game against us the other night.

I don't think Gray or Stevenson really offer us enough going forward to play as wing-backs with a diamond against packed defences in our league and they never have. That doesn't mean we should get rid of them rather we should let them play to their strengths and get players in and a formation to allow us to do so.

The length and breadth of the country there are fans bemoaning the standard of final ball their fullbacks provide and to get ones who are defensively adequate as well as string going forward would take most out of our budget.

The blend in our midfield, the number of players we have who are able to and prepared to take a man on out wide, the lack of killer balls from midfield, the lack of clever movement from strikers to create space and create and make chances are all the principal weaknesses we have and involve midfielders, strikers and wingers.

We've actually got a decent plan B in that we can lump it long to Holt and get Cummings running in behind defences, but unfortunately at the moment it happens to be our most effective plan A which isn't nearly good enough.

Needing new fullbacks or centre backs is not our problem right now and if we fail to get promotion those will not be the reasons.

The Leith Dutch
02-03-2017, 01:53 PM
So who is the problem with? The players for not responding or the manager for not getting them up for it? Either way this team should know by now what it takes in this league and how ****ing massive it is that we get promoted this season. They haven't shown it in the last few games so we can only hope it improves quickly.

The major issue for me is a total lack of tempo and urgency.
When we've looked good is when we're doing things at pace and closing the opposition down.
We manage that against Hearts and against Dundee Utd in the last game but then it evaporates in some of the other games.

Dunfermline I could sort of understand - the team left a lot on the pitch on Wednesday night.

St Mirren I can't understand - sure, we played on Saturday evening but it wasn't a game you felt the team had completely busted a gut in.

One of the odd things is Butcher actually got a major part of our problem - not attacking at pace.
Problem was he thought that meant hoofball rather than purposeful one or two touch play.

What concerns me is that it's been an issue over multiple managers and with a large selection of different players which suggests that simply changing the players or the manager isn't the answer. There is no reason that team of players managed by a manager of Lennon's quality shouldn't have comfortably disposed of St Mirren.

StPauli
02-03-2017, 02:57 PM

One of the current squad, his exact words were that if we win the league it will be for us and the fans not for Lennon. Obviously messed it up last night though. Only passing on what Ive heard.
:flag:

northstandhibby
02-03-2017, 03:15 PM
One of the current squad, his exact words were that if we win the league it will be for us and the fans not for Lennon. Obviously messed it up last night though. Only passing on what Ive heard.

Who exactly was it told you?

glory glory

JackLadd
02-03-2017, 03:28 PM
You can't blame Lennon for schoolboy errors at the back as these are all experienced players who should know the basics. The team played at a high tempo and quality against hertz, that's the standard they set themselves so Lennon should reasonably expect that level to be maintained against lesser sides.

Paisley Hibby
02-03-2017, 03:37 PM

I'd say that most of the better players we have at the club came through our youth academy or were signed by Stubbs. Most of Lennon's signings have been underwhelming and, unlike in the past, I don't think that's due to lack of cash. It's a bit of a worry.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2017, 03:41 PM
'Tired' Against part-time teams? ***** off, son.Dumbarton and Ayr are the only part time teams in this league and both have plenty of guys who have played pro for years.

Pete
02-03-2017, 04:04 PM

glory glory

Maybe it was that happy wee flag man.

Bunch of jokers on this thread.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2017, 04:07 PM

Goals come from all areas. Why can't we get a left back who crosses into the middle of the goal? Why does our right back not get 5/6 goals a season? If they are not doing it, ship them out (and using these positions in general terms).Because our scouts don't judge players on 1 game?

JimBHibees
02-03-2017, 04:25 PM
You must know whose dad it was so who is it that's spreading potentially fake rumours or is it you?

glory glory

Money would be on the second of the two. Dont underestimate how pumping the yams out of the cup hurt them.

ancient hibee
02-03-2017, 04:46 PM
This is what I heard.Just because Lennon was an international player,won numerous trophies as a player,won numerous trophies as a manager in our top league,got into the last 16 of Europe's top club tournament doesn't mean he knows anything about football so we don't listen to him. Aye right.,off you go son.

emerald green
02-03-2017, 05:36 PM
Does this make you a skoosher or a bedwetter

Neither ladystanton, IMHO. More of a realist I'd say. :aok:

Baldy Foghorn
02-03-2017, 05:51 PM

Don't believe any player would say that

Hibeewilly
02-03-2017, 05:58 PM
I heard something similar at Paisley last night but not from a player. I posted a reference to that on an earlier thread today. Lets hope that's not the case. If it is it brings back memories of Butcher and Malpas unfortunately

Baldy Foghorn
02-03-2017, 06:00 PM
It's funny, because Lennon and the player's looked fine as SOL belted out last Wednesday

Hibeewilly
02-03-2017, 06:02 PM
It's funny, because Lennon and the player's looked fine as SOL belted out last Wednesday
Totally agree mate and they all played really well in that particular game

Baldy Foghorn
02-03-2017, 06:04 PM
Totally agree mate and they all played really well in that particular game

So are they picking and choosing games to perform in?

makaveli1875
02-03-2017, 06:05 PM
the vast majority of these players did the same thing this time last year and they all loved stubbsy

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2017, 06:06 PM
This stuff always gets posted on here when things aren't going well, was exactly the same when United were above us in December. None of it ****ing matters. Not a single bit. Not last night, not Neil Lennon, not Rod Petrie, not David Gray. All that matters is winning the next game. Then the one after.

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2017, 06:11 PM
Lennon or Stubbs,it dont really matter as nothing has changed. We are still very inconsistent, and have not learnt to put teams away.

We are top of the league, but for me its because we are slightly less pish than the others.

They can raise their game for the big ones, but it's clear to me they need a good shake up should we win the league, and there's a fair few who should not be getting their contracts renewed when up.

Hibeewilly
02-03-2017, 06:13 PM
I would hope not as the league is more important

Heisenberg
02-03-2017, 06:14 PM

I think they simply aren't as motivated for the league games unless it's a big one vs Dundee United. We now have a Hibs team who regularly turn up on the big occasion but look like they've just met when we play the likes of Ayr, St Mirren etc.

Complacency could also be a factor, especially as they've been ***** for weeks but still maintained the 7 point gap.

StPauli
02-03-2017, 06:18 PM

glory glory

Come on I won't name him on the forum, it was a conversation whereby he stated his unhappiness of the management style, let me keep it a bit confidential. Hopefully what he said is enough your just going to have to trust me.
:agree:

emerald green
02-03-2017, 06:18 PM
I simply do not, and cannot, understand why the players (any players) don't give 100% effort and commitment in EVERY game.

It's what they are paid to do. :confused:

greenlex
02-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Over the course of a season, to date not good enough. Hopefully that will change.
What is it to be? Over the course of a season or to date? Time will tell but to date we are too if the league by 7 points. 4 if Utd win their game in hand.
Are you saying that's not good enough?

makaveli1875
02-03-2017, 06:25 PM
who is uniteds game in hand against

StPauli
02-03-2017, 06:26 PM
Don't believe any player would say that
Ok must have heard it wrong sorry:agree:

Heisenberg
02-03-2017, 06:26 PM

St Mirren. Let's hope they play the same way they did last night.

greenlex
02-03-2017, 06:27 PM

Away to st Mirren.

emerald green
02-03-2017, 06:28 PM
Come on I won't name him on the forum, it was a conversation whereby he stated his unhappiness of the management style, let me keep it a bit confidential. Hopefully what he said is enough your just going to have to trust me.
:agree:

Trust you. Aye OK then. :rolleyes:

makaveli1875
02-03-2017, 06:28 PM
Away to st Mirren.

not an easy 3 points if st mirren play like they did last night

Pete
02-03-2017, 06:34 PM

I don't see why not.

It's not like anyone can just say anything for any reason over the internet.

emerald green
02-03-2017, 06:37 PM
I don't see why not.

It's not like anyone can just say anything for any reason over the internet.

LOL :greengrin

loanheadhibby
02-03-2017, 06:58 PM
What is it to be? Over the course of a season or to date? Time will tell but to date we are too if the league by 7 points. 4 if Utd win their game in hand.
Are you saying that's not good enough?

Absolutely not good enough. 3 points from last 4 games against bottom 4 clubs in Scotland's 2nd tier? If that's good enough for you, so be it. We should be at least 12 points ahead but players have proved they ain't good enough.

i'm not sure what folk don't understand about this being our 3rd year in the 2nd tier.

pacoluna
02-03-2017, 07:25 PM

When we do go up there will have be changes of personnel, Boyle, keatings, Graham etc don't inspire me, Mcgregor imo should be giving the captaincy next season as well, as much as I rate gray and his heroics in the cup, there's been far too many instances this season where we have lacked leadership on the pitch.

StPauli
02-03-2017, 07:26 PM

Sammy7nil
02-03-2017, 07:36 PM
I simply do not, and cannot, understand why the players (any players) don't give 100% effort and commitment in EVERY game.

Do you give absolutely everything every day at work? Do you shy out of a telephone call bottle it at the watercooler or maybe arrive or leave a little early :wink: After all it is what you are paid to do.

After a while whether fans like it or not football is just a job to many players.

Sammy7nil
02-03-2017, 07:38 PM
Ok must have heard it wrong sorry:agree:

Thank goodness for that :aok: House of Hearing do great deals on hearing aids

StPauli
02-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Maybe it was that happy wee flag man.

Bunch of jokers on this thread.
Never meant it as a joke, thought I would let fellow hibbys know thats all

StPauli
02-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Thank goodness for that :aok: House of Hearing do great deals on hearing aids
Pardon:aok:

majorhibs
02-03-2017, 08:36 PM
Do you give absolutely everything every day at work? Do you shy out of a telephone call bottle it at the watercooler or maybe arrive or leave a little early :wink: After all it is what you are paid to do.

After a while whether fans like it or not football is just a job to many players.

Absolute BS analogy when your job is to beat the other 11 in front of you. & you are being provided better facilities, wages & resources to do so.

J-C
02-03-2017, 08:44 PM
I give you Chelsea under Jose and the Leicester players recently.

JimBHibees
02-03-2017, 09:44 PM

Players are clearly trying some are just not consistent or playing with confidence.

Smartie
02-03-2017, 09:49 PM
Players are clearly trying some are just not consistent or playing with confidence.

I agree.

People are way too quick to question the commitment and attitude of the players.

We're playing crap at the moment, that is all.

We need to stop looking for things that simply aren't there.

Andy74
02-03-2017, 10:19 PM
I agree.

People are way too quick to question the commitment and attitude of the players.

We're playing crap at the moment, that is all.

We need to stop looking for things that simply aren't there.

Think we all knew we wouldn't go unbeaten this year. We aren't that good!

It's been 3 months since we lost a game. We might be drawing too many but I don't think there is anything untoward going on. We have players that are good for this level but not so good that they can turn up and perform every week for 10 months.

HappyAsHellas
02-03-2017, 11:21 PM
Now it's getting to the business end of the season the bottom clubs have to scrap for every ball in every game to try to survive. As we've seen in the last two games we can be quite an easy team to play against as we don't use the same tactics as Falkirk for example. We have to win the fight to be able to play football, as we did against the yams. Why the players can't do this is utterly baffling to me as Lennon has said they've been reminded of this constantly when up against supposedly lower opposition. Let's hope they extract their collective digits from their erses for the Utd game or it really will be squeaky bum time.

Sammy7nil
03-03-2017, 07:56 AM
Absolute BS analogy when your job is to beat the other 11 in front of you. & you are being provided better facilities, wages & resources to do so.

And your point is? Whether we like it or not many players see football as a job regardless of facilites, pay or fan adoration.

pacoluna
03-03-2017, 08:22 AM
And your point is? Whether we like it or not many players see football as a job regardless of facilites, pay or fan adoration.
If that's the case every saturday is a test to prove their competency for the job

houstonhibbee
03-03-2017, 08:43 AM

They do - it's just they're just not that good to give a high level of performance every game

emerald green
03-03-2017, 09:40 AM

Think we all knew we wouldn't go unbeaten this year. We aren't that good!

It's been 3 months since we lost a game. We might be drawing too many but I don't think there is anything untoward going on. We have players that are good for this level but not so good that they can turn up and perform every week for 10 months.

If that's the case every saturday is a test to prove there competency for the job

They do - it's just they're just not that good to give a high level of performance every game

Thanks to all for their views and opinions, and apologies to anyone I've omitted! There doesn't seem to be one simple answer. Maybe it's a combination of all or some of the above?

J-C
03-03-2017, 09:47 AM

This.

I think this past two seasons have shown us that the squad looks strong but in fact is full of flaws.

We have too many players who are extremely inconsistent and a few others who are now proving to be just not good enough.

Winning the cup papered over the cracks of this squad, a squad that never got us the promotion we seek, the day out in May will live long in our memories and we thank all the players involved but promotion and the league is our bread and butter and needs to be foremost in our thoughts.

We desperately miss the drive from Henderson ( who is now getting regular game time at Celtic ) and Commons showed in his little cameo just what a very good attacking midfielder adds to the team.

McGeouch has been a huge miss because of his game tempo and ability to drive the team forward and we've never really replaced Scott Allan.

Players like Fyvie, Keatings, Boyle, Shinnie, Graham, Holt ( not enough goals ) are either not good enough or just too inconsistent, we'll need around 6-7 players in the summer if we want to be competitive.