PDA

View Full Version : Do you think we'll win the league?

G B Young
01-03-2017, 09:19 PM
I may be wrong to post this right after a dismal defeat like tonight's but it's a question which I'm sure we're all asking ourselves.

Personally, I think we'll do enough to get over the line but it really shouldn't be in doubt.

Hi Heid Yin
01-03-2017, 09:48 PM
We will limp over the finishing line first but only just. So it's a Yes from a nervous me.

Santa Cruz
01-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Yes and the cup

Hibernia&Alba
01-03-2017, 09:53 PM
At this stage, yes I do think we'll win the league, but we need to reverse the recent dip in league form. If we lose at Tannadice, I'll be very worried.

Jim44
01-03-2017, 09:56 PM
I've been cheesed off and critical for the last few games but because we were drawing and not losing too much ground I always thought that, if push came to shove, we would pull through in the end. I think we are heading for a major disappointment, unfortunately.

Nicho87
01-03-2017, 10:00 PM
No

emerald green
01-03-2017, 10:01 PM
On the basis of taking 3 points out of 12 in our last four games against teams at the bottom of the league, then that spells the playoffs again I'm afraid.

If Hibs can stop the slump (big if) then it will go to the wire. Too close to call now.

Criswell
01-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Nothing at the moment to give me any confidence. However all is not lost. We just need more of the spirit that dispatched Hearts. Manager and players need to raise their game big time!

cleanyman
01-03-2017, 10:05 PM
No.

After my rage subsides. Maybe.

Thecat23
01-03-2017, 10:07 PM
Yes.

Nakedmanoncrack
01-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Nothing at the moment to give me any confidence. However all is not lost. We just need more of the spirit that dispatched Hearts. Manager and players need to raise their game big time!

Agreed, on current form we certainly wont win it, if we can turn it round and go on any decent kind of run we should. Its far from impossible, but theres nothing to suggest its particularly likely either though. If I was a Dundee Utd or Morton supporter I'd fancy my team's chances tbh.

jacomo
01-03-2017, 10:22 PM
Can't vote on my phone, but yes we will.

01-03-2017, 10:24 PM
Has to be a yes.
A 4th year in this league doesn't bear thinking about.....mind you I think I said that about a 3rd season!
Amazing how winning the Holy Grail last year softened that blow.

High-On-Hibs
01-03-2017, 10:24 PM
I put "no really sure", as I don't share the ability of foresight like the rest of you. :wink:

CB_NO3
01-03-2017, 10:26 PM
I think we might scrape it. We are terrible though.

Eyrie
01-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Yes, but it will that close that even the skooshers will be bed wetters before it's won.

AgentDaleCooper
01-03-2017, 10:32 PM
yes, we will - but i'll be a lot more confident of this if ayr pap us out the cup on saturday. this squad seems to immature to handle a cup run and a league campaign simultaneously. to clarify - i really hope we beat ayr, i could never will hibs to loose a game. i just think we'd be more likely to get the league done and dusted if we go out. should we be able to handle both competitions? of course. does it look like we can? not to me.

Sir David Gray
01-03-2017, 10:38 PM
If we lose at Tannadice I'll be really concerned.

This current run has a lot of similarities from this time last year when our league form imploded.

We were a shadow of the team that hammered Hearts just seven days ago and it's not good enough.

Jim44
01-03-2017, 10:39 PM
Has to be a yes.
A 4th year in this league doesn't bear thinking about.....mind you I think I said that about a 3rd season!
Amazing how winning the Holy Grail last year softened that blow.

Interesting comment. A big majority of punters in that poll last year said that winning the cup was more important than promotion. Somehow I think the results would be different this year.

NAE NOOKIE
01-03-2017, 10:57 PM
Interesting comment. A big majority of punters in that poll last year said that winning the cup was more important than promotion. Somehow I think the results would be different this year.

Yes ..... I was one of them, I think the older you were the more likely you were to vote for the cup for obvious reasons. Run that same poll today and the result will be vastly in favour of the league. Even if we were to retain the cup and hump Celtic 3 - 0 in the final to do it, it wouldn't matter a jot because we would still see a catastrophic downturn in ST sales and walk ups next season, there would be nothing like the feelgood factor and positivity winning it last year generated.

As for the poll .... I voted that I just cant call it.

We need to turn around this current form and do it quickly, our last few results allowed our nearest challengers to retain a bit of hope, tonight's result was like jumping into a pool of sharks and opening a vein ..... if Utd especially manage to put a run together we will be in real bother. Tannadice is absolutely massive now, lose there and the boost it will give Dundee Utd cant be underestimated, we simply have to find the type of performance we put in during both games against the Yams .... nothing less will do now :confused:

Cameron1875
01-03-2017, 10:59 PM
Yes because the rest are rubbish but we are less rubbish.

That isn't an achievement Hibs :(

hibsboy69
01-03-2017, 11:01 PM
I find it very difficult to be confident about us winning the league (even this pishy league that we are in minus Hearts, Rangers and with a sub standard Dun Utd team in it).

Last season we had a better team (yet still contrived to finish 3rd in a 2 horse race FFS!)

We may limp over the line in a league we should win in a canter.

There's the easy way......and there's the Hibs way. :rolleyes:

northstandhibby
01-03-2017, 11:05 PM

Winning the cup was a preference for me last season however 100% take the league this one if it was a choice between the two. Doing it the hard way but still confident we'll be promoted.

glory glory

IberianHibernian
01-03-2017, 11:13 PM
We`ve still got an important advantage over the other teams and none of them look good enough to go on a good run either . If we don`t win the league , Falkirk and particularly Morton probably have as much chance as Dundee United . Also possible returns of Hanlon , McGeoch , Fontaine , Forster , Harris and Handling will give us more options . Don`t agree with comments saying that losing to Ayr might help us . On contrary a convincing win in cup would boost confidence of players and fans as well as moving us nearer to a still possible cup win and guaranteeing us good cash from semi and hopefully final too .

Jim44
01-03-2017, 11:14 PM
Yes ..... I was one of them, I think the older you were the more likely you were to vote for the cup for obvious reasons. Run that same poll today and the result will be vastly in favour of the league. Even if we were to retain the cup and hump Celtic 3 - 0 in the final to do it, it wouldn't matter a jot because we would still see a catastrophic downturn in ST sales and walk ups next season, there would be nothing like the feelgood factor and positivity winning it last year generated.

As for the poll .... I voted that I just cant call it.

We need to turn around this current form and do it quickly, our last few results allowed our nearest challengers to retain a bit of hope, tonight's result was like jumping into a pool of sharks and opening a vein ..... if Utd especially manage to put a run together we will be in real bother. Tannadice is absolutely massive now, lose there and the boost it will give Dundee Utd cant be underestimated, we simply have to find the type of performance we put in during both games against the Yams .... nothing less will do now :confused:

Well, as a long in the tooth punter, I voted for promotion before winning the cup. If it had been our first year in the Championship, I might have been persuaded to go for the cup win, but I was paranoid about a third year in the Championship. As it turned out, I was devastated to fail in the league but was over the moon to get the monkey off our backs. I can still honestly say I would have preferred promotion and to see us possibly making an arse of it this year is depressing to say the least.

NAE NOOKIE
01-03-2017, 11:20 PM

If we win the league I for one couldn't give a rats ass how the manner we do it is perceived by anybody else ............. it doesn't matter if you win it by 30 points and hump everybody 10 - 0 on the way to doing it or if you crawl over the line by one goal of a goal difference on the last day, the prize is still the same and that's all that matters.

Who the hell cares if in some folks opinion it cant be considered an 'achievement'

NZ Green
02-03-2017, 03:02 AM
by 4 or 5 points I reckon.

HH81
02-03-2017, 04:05 AM
Lose at Dundee United and we have let everyone back in.

The cup games recently do seem to have let the focus slip.

Hibs to win the league still for me.

Steve20
02-03-2017, 04:14 AM
Nope. We were a better team last season and collapsed in the last part of the season. This team won't do any better.

We've also got a far worse manager as well. He doesn't know what to do. Kris Commons managed to paper over some cracks with two winning goals while here.

Playoffs again

Gettin' Auld
02-03-2017, 04:59 AM
Aye i think we'll win this league, but we'll stumble over the finishing line. All the other sides are dropping points too, so it'll not be a case of who wins the most points but who drops the least that wins the league.

Just keep us away from the ****in' play-offs as i've no idea which Hibs team will show up for them........

TheHarpy76
02-03-2017, 05:13 AM
Yes,but only because the other teams in the league are so poor.

InchHibby
02-03-2017, 05:28 AM
We will win this league but not in the manner I thought.
I don't think anyone below us is capable of putting a decent run together and for this reason and this reason only, this will see us through.
I said on Saturday that if Dunfermline played as they did against us every week then they would most definately be at the very least, in the playoff places and that goes for St Mirren last night.
The problem is, they don't, that's why we'll win it.

HibbySpurs
02-03-2017, 05:52 AM
We will win this league but not in the manner I thought.
I don't think anyone below us is capable of putting a decent run together and for this reason and this reason only, this will see us through.
I said on Saturday that if Dunfermline played as they did against us every week then they would most definately be at the very least, in the playoff places and that goes for St Mirren last night.
The problem is, they don't, that's why we'll win it.

This. We've been honking recently but at the same time we've lost 3 games in 26... I don't see us losing another 3 in 10 which means our 7 point lead is still sufficient IMO. It's not pretty but we'll get there... it's the Hibs way... If there's a hard way and an easy way we always take the former.

green with envy
02-03-2017, 05:54 AM
Yes! mainly due to the fact that the others around us are just as bad.

Onion
02-03-2017, 06:05 AM
Think we will win it but there is a serious risk one of our main competitors ceases the opportunity we're handing them and go on a winning run (eke Falkirk last year).

Must admit, last few weeks have felt a bit like the Terry Butcher relegation where we just needed one point, one win, one decent performance to escape the playoffs but couldn't manage that in 10+ games. We've had so many (easy) chances now to stretch our lead and effectively win the league but stutter and stumble along leaving us all biting our nails.

Pretty Boy
02-03-2017, 06:31 AM
No idea.

A few weeks ago I thought late January/February would be when we started to stretch away. Instead we've witnessed a mini collapse with 3 points from 12 against the leagues 4 bottom sides.

If tiredness is the issue that isn't going to improve any time soon as games are coming up thick and fast. If it's injuries then again they aren't going to disappear overnight. If it's a problem between players and manager then that's not an easy fix.

Beat Dundee Utd and I think we'll win it. Lose that game we are in a real fight. Interesting few weeks ahead.

Onceinawhile
02-03-2017, 06:34 AM
Yes we will. 6 wins and two draws needed to do it Imo.

hibbysam
02-03-2017, 07:29 AM
Nope. We were a better team last season and collapsed in the last part of the season. This team won't do any better.

We've also got a far worse manager as well. He doesn't know what to do. Kris Commons managed to paper over some cracks with two winning goals while here.

Playoffs again

Isn't that why Lennon signed him??

wee Stevie
02-03-2017, 07:37 AM
Yes, think we will but only just hope I'm wrong and we start to turn things around and turn the draws into wins

Borderhibbie76
02-03-2017, 07:57 AM
Yes we will. 6 wins and two draws needed to do it Imo.
You make it sound so easy mate...no wins in 4 and we need to win another 6...I'm very nervous this morning I must admit

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Cameron1875
02-03-2017, 07:59 AM
Think we will win it but there is a serious risk one of our main competitors ceases the opportunity we're handing them and go on a winning run (eke Falkirk last year).

Must admit, last few weeks have felt a bit like the Terry Butcher relegation where we just needed one point, one win, one decent performance to escape the playoffs but couldn't manage that in 10+ games. We've had so many (easy) chances now to stretch our lead and effectively win the league but stutter and stumble along leaving us all biting our nails.

Exactly how I feel too. I thought last night that if you had been at St Mirren v Hibs in 2014 and then last night then you will have seen absolutely no difference in our team performance.

Concerning!

makaveli1875
02-03-2017, 08:01 AM
iv put yes but more out of hope than expectation

a team that gets played off the park by dunfermline and st mirren is not a title winning team

R'Albin
02-03-2017, 08:02 AM
After witnessing last night I honestly think we won't.

I don't even think it's exaggerating to say that's the worst performance since Butcher.

green day
02-03-2017, 08:04 AM
Didn't sleep well last night after watching that rubbish. The thought of another season here and blowing the league giving me the heebie jeebies.

We are playing poorly, and while its all very well to say we only need XYZ wins - we don't look like winning anything (apart from the hearts match at ER, and given their collapse, perhaps we are not as good as we thought?).

I just cant fathom it. We need some confidence and soon.

I really hope it return v Ayr and continues against Utd

Houchy
02-03-2017, 08:14 AM

This sums it up for me. I think the effort that was put in against the Hertz played a huge part in last nights result. To go out of the cup against them, would have been unthinkable. So we had to put in a lot more effort to ensure against that. At the cost of 3 points, was it worth it? I'd suggest (at this point) yes. IF Utd beat us and win their game in hand, they'll still be 1 point behind us but that's a big if. They have to win their game in hand AND beat us by which point the players will get their tired legs back to normal. And even if we hold Utd to a point, we're still 4 points ahead. I'm still confident that we'll win the league, as are the bookies, and you never see a poor bookie🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

Bostonhibby
02-03-2017, 08:21 AM
Not sure any more. We're not professional the way our players are setting about the task. By that I mean we are inexplicably inconsistent after good results and are generally performing below expectation in a league where we seem to be able to put more resource and time into it.

We're on the verge of letting utd back into it. Morton are a threat, and only Hibs could offer Falkirk a glimmer of hope as they do tend to take any gifts they're given at this time of year.

Disappointed we have failed to get out of sight.

cleanyman
02-03-2017, 08:22 AM
This sums it up for me. I think the effort that was put in against the Hertz played a huge part in last nights result. To go out of the cup against them, would have been unthinkable. So we had to put in a lot more effort to ensure against that. At the cost of 3 points, was it worth it? I'd suggest (at this point) yes. IF Utd beat us and win their game in hand, they'll still be 1 point behind us but that's a big if. They have to win their game in hand AND beat us by which point the players will get their tired legs back to normal. And even if we hold Utd to a point, we're still 4 points ahead. I'm still confident that we'll win the league, as are the bookies, and you never see a poor bookie🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

Sorry? The effort against Hearts ONE week ago played a part last night?

No it didn't.

We must be the only team in the land that consistently struggles with two games a week. For the majority of the season it has been one game a week and its still been *****.

Big L
02-03-2017, 08:35 AM
Does anyone have a clue if Hanlon, Fontaine and Forster are back for the Dun Utd game?

pennyhibee
02-03-2017, 09:33 AM
It's a big concern how the level of performance can drop so much in our league games as opposed to our cup performances. Even after a public rocket from Lennon ,it still doesn't seem to galvanise them .Do you think they believe they have the title in the bag and just have to turn up .Surely the last few results must tell them different.Its mostly the same players as last season ,surely they must realise they need to bust a gut ,until they are mathematically title winners.

Morganleith
02-03-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm unsure now but the fact that Dundee Utd can't seem to take advantage much makes me think we may just get over the finishing line. Tannadice will determine how it will go. Avoid defeat is the most important factor

JimBHibees
02-03-2017, 10:23 AM
I'm unsure now but the fact that Dundee Utd can't seem to take advantage much makes me think we may just get over the finishing line. Tannadice will determine how it will go. Avoid defeat is the most important factor

Teams like Morton and Falkirk will now be thinking they have more than a chance of winning the league now given our current form. We have Morton twice, United once and Falkirk once still to play. Time to show some bottle or start bringing in fresher players if players are struggling physically.

Deansy
02-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Unless Lennon changes the mentality at ER - NO !

fulshie
02-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Here's the way I see it. We have now went through two periods where our injury list has been horrendous, Nov / Dec we didn't have any midfielders hence the emergency loan with Commons and now we have no central defenders hence the emergency loans of Ambrose and McLean and yet we're still top of the league. Our CD's will be back and hopefully we will be back to full strength for the last few games and that should see us ok. YES for me.

ian cruise
02-03-2017, 11:36 AM
We will win the league. It won't be by a massive margin, I'd say 7 points, but we'll get there. I do see a few more disappointing results in the way but we'll beat UTD and get over the line.

1van Sprou7e
02-03-2017, 11:44 AM
I don't think we'll lose to united and also their game in hand is also against St Mirren who are in good form.

I'm sure we'll win the league but it might not happen until mid-late April

02-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Yes but it will be tight, much tighter than it should be.

Dashing Bob S
02-03-2017, 12:08 PM

Playoffs again

Who do you think will win it?

coldingham hibs
02-03-2017, 12:31 PM

Playoffs again

I have to agree, league performances have been dreadful and I honestly cannot see us beating any of the top half teams after struggling so badly against the bottom clubs. We are lambs to the slaughter now as any team that plays a high tempo closing down game will have a great chance of winning.

JohnMcM
02-03-2017, 12:43 PM
I voted "not sure". Probably because of the recent league results. I am concerned that we might need to rely on Utd and Morton dropping silly points for us to get automatic promotion. Please, not the play-offs again.
:flag:

02-03-2017, 12:51 PM
We are struggling with having a few key players out injured but thats no excuse IMO, we still should be beating the likes of St Mirren, Ayr, Dunfermline etc. No disrespect to those teams but hearts and rangers swept teams like that aside with ease when they were down here. We have the best team of players in the league but ffs we aren't half our own worst enemy at times.

This time last year we had a much busier schedule as we had our league games as well as games in both competitions (including replays in the SC) so i'm not buying the tiredness excuse tbh and if that is the case then thats not very good for a group of professional football players and it begs the question, what the hell are they doing when they're at East Mains?! As for the explanation that its complacency well that should have been a lesson learnt after the Ayr game, that game, along with a few others should have been the wake up call that we cannot just turn up to games and expect to win. Especially now because teams will realise that they can have a go at us and not set up to sit tight and simply just live in hope that they get a lucky break. Dunfermline had a go at us last week, fair play to them unlike many teams that have came to ER the last few seasons they didn't park the bus from the word go and they got their reward for it.

Our saving grace this year is that the league is much weaker so yes I think we will just manage to get over the line but it's very concerning that we can't win the league comfortably. I don't mean that to sound arrogant but man for man we are by far the best side in the league and given that in the first half of the season we went racing away and created a pretty comfortable gap (12 points plus a far superior goal difference if I remember right) we really should have built on that and been out of sight by now. In October/November time some bookies even stopped taking bets on us winning the league ffs and I must admit I thought by now the league would practically be a done deal. I really should have learned by now that hibs never do things the simple way!

Lago
02-03-2017, 01:00 PM
I may be wrong to post this right after a dismal defeat like tonight's but it's a question which I'm sure we're all asking ourselves.

Personally, I think we'll do enough to get over the line but it really shouldn't be in doubt.
Yes

RamYer1902
02-03-2017, 01:04 PM
Yes. By 10+ points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk