PDA

View Full Version : How far away from fitness are our injured players?

G B Young
01-03-2017, 10:06 PM
Humphreys, McGeouch, Hanlon, Fontaine, Forster...are any of them close to fitness? The emergency loan signings would lead me to believe the defensive trio are going to remain sidelined for some time.

DavidDavidGray
01-03-2017, 10:11 PM
Humphreys, McGeouch, Hanlon, Fontaine, Forster...are any of them close to fitness? The emergency loan signings would lead me to believe the defensive trio are going to remain sidelined for some time.

Hopefully they recover as quick as they humanly can

SloopJB
01-03-2017, 10:13 PM
One thing I've learned is that a number of players starting are also carrying an injury which affects the players performance level.

I'm not saying any particular player in the Hibs team is affected but given some of the challenges seen this season it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that this is the case.

I know of players who are on the treatment table before a ball is kicked.

just something to bear in mind.

JackLadd
01-03-2017, 10:19 PM
We could really do with McGeouch and Hanlon back.

Mathias Jack
01-03-2017, 10:19 PM
Talking about fitness, McGinn hasn't been the same player since he had surgery. Either the surgery hasn't worked or he's no keen on Lennon.

Missing Paul Hanlon big time an all, need him back ASAP!

Nicho87
01-03-2017, 10:23 PM
John mcginn has been rotten. For an internationall player, he doesnt drag us over the line enough, same for fyvie. Them two need dropped for saturday.

fishybeaver
01-03-2017, 10:24 PM
The way it's going we need Harris, Handling and Stanton back also!!

Frazerbob
01-03-2017, 11:44 PM
The way it's going we need Harris, Handling and Stanton back also!!

Jeepers, we must be bad.

IberianHibernian
02-03-2017, 12:00 AM
The way it's going we need Harris, Handling and Stanton back also!!I would say we do . Stanton and Harris both scored more goals from midfield with struggling teams than our midfielders did in the same division last season . Harris was one of the players with most assists in the division . A lot of people here have written Harris off but if he hadn`t got injured I think he`d be in team now at least as a regular sub . At worst he`d have done more than Humphry and I still rate Harris higher than Boyle as a winger . Handling and Harris may yet have a part to play this season and maybe Stanton next year .

wookie70
02-03-2017, 12:16 AM
I would say we do . Stanton and Harris both scored more goals from midfield with struggling teams than our midfielders did in the same division last season . Harris was one of the players with most assists in the division . A lot of people here have written Harris off but if he hadn`t got injured I think he`d be in team now at least as a regular sub . At worst he`d have done more than Humphry and I still rate Harris higher than Boyle as a winger . Handling and Harris may yet have a part to play this season and maybe Stanton next year .

I agree with that too. I think Alex Harris is a far better player that Boyle. at the very least he would be an excellent option for the run in as would Stanton. I really like Scott Martin but he isn't different enough from Fyvie and Bartley

Michael
02-03-2017, 12:27 AM
I agree with that too. I think Alex Harris is a far better player that Boyle. at the very least he would be an excellent option for the run in as would Stanton. I really like Scott Martin but he isn't different enough from Fyvie and Bartley

Harris is a far better player than Boyle? There's a reason Harris isn't playing. If you saw his last performance in a Hibs shirt against Falkirk you'd understand why he hasn't played since. And if you did see that game, then I simply don't know how you could come to that conclusion.

IberianHibernian
02-03-2017, 12:35 AM
Harris is a far better player than Boyle? There's a reason Harris isn't playing. If you saw his last performance in a Hibs shirt against Falkirk you'd understand why he hasn't played since. And if you did see that game, then I simply don't know how you could come to that conclusion.Reason Harris isn`t playing I suppose is because he`s still injured . Nothing to do with whether he`s a better player than Boyle or anyone else . Wouldn`t rate any player positively or negatively on one match anyway . Having Harris and Handling ( presuming Stanton will be at Dumbarton all season ) available is to increase options ( team seems to pick itself most weeks cause of lack of alternatives ) and competition .

Alan62
02-03-2017, 08:42 AM
Martin Boyle has more pace than Alex Harris but I think Harris is a more complete player. Boyle has been woeful recently and hasn't even used his pace to good effect.

The truth is, we are currently carrying an awful lot of injuries in the squad and players with niggles are having to play in tough, physical matches where teams sit tight and make us work hard. I still think we will win the Championship but it won't be easy.

Salt N Sauzee
02-03-2017, 08:45 AM
Alex Harris better than Boyle? You lot can't be serious. :crazy:

Borderhibbie76
02-03-2017, 08:51 AM
John mcginn has been rotten. For an internationall player, he doesnt drag us over the line enough, same for fyvie. Them two need dropped for saturday.
Have to agree...I've never been much of a fan of fyvie tbh I just don't see it but both have been hugely disappointing of late and need to gie themselves an almighty shake

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Smartie
02-03-2017, 09:01 AM
Alex Harris might have the ability of Lionel Messi but every time I've seen him play he hasn't even attempted to take his man on or get a cross over.

He could learn a lot from Boyle. Run at players, sometimes get tackled, get up, run at them again.

Easter Road has a tough, critical atmosphere and I think it's too much for Harris, much as I would love this not to be the case.

Handling I could see making a contribution. We need a midfielder who will put his foot on the ball and make passes and Handling had a decent run in the side with Malonga, Scott Allan and Liam Craig a couple of years back.

I actually have a pretty uneasy feeling, similar to the one I had under Butcher. I simply don't see what Lennon can do with these players to get them scoring enough goals. Our best hope is we get our first choice defenders back so we stop leaking, meaning that one goal will be enough to win most games.

flash
02-03-2017, 09:45 AM
To be fair our first choice right back has been culpable in 3 of the last 4 goals we have conceded.
Unfortunately we don't have another right back at the club.

California-Hibs
02-03-2017, 10:12 AM
Harris better than Martin Boyle?!?! I've read some pish on here recently but this tops the lot. Get real!!!

hibee62
02-03-2017, 10:16 AM
To be fair our first choice right back has been culpable in 3 of the last 4 goals we have conceded.

I think Forster and McGregor (i.e. Play Forster or Fontaine at centre back with Hanlon) are considered our back up right backs. With a fully fit squad that seems perfectly reasonable to me but with the current crisis we don't have those options.

cmcd
02-03-2017, 10:48 AM

It's all about opinions so yes people are serious

wookie70
02-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Maybe the question should be - How far away from fitness are our uninjured players. The last couple of games have looked like the bottom of the league teams are capable of running us off the park. I would love to see a comparison of the distance covered and speed of the opposition versus Hibs. We look a yard short all over the pitch and that includes players like Boyle who is meant to be quick. We have a huge injury list too. Perhaps we need to look at our training methods.

02-03-2017, 11:25 AM
So going back to the original question .... does anyone have any insight into how long Hanlon, Fontaine & Forster are out for??

ac1
02-03-2017, 11:44 AM
been going on about this for ages -

why do Hibs not have a weekly or fortnightly update on the progress of the injured first team squad players?

Do the club not know how long they are going to be out? a simple update on the website with a estimate of a return to action would not be difficult.

If they are out for a long period or have a setback then let the fans know.

No one seems to have any idea what injuries certain players even have. As i said with players like McGeough maybe the club dont know themselves but at the moment I have no idea when Forster, Hanlon, McGeough, Humphries, Harris, Handling or Fontaine will be back :confused:

Hibeewilly
02-03-2017, 12:06 PM
I just wonder how we can put in a performance like we did against hearts when McGinn Boyle and all of the others were superb then struggle against lesser teams. Is Lennon tinkering with the system too much? Are the players playing for him?(just asking that question as more and more fans seem to be thinking that) After sitting through last nights game I wonder if we are capable of getting promotion through the play offs far less winning the league as we were deplorable. Their keeper hardly had a save to make :confused:

Onion
02-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Talking about fitness, McGinn hasn't been the same player since he had surgery. Either the surgery hasn't worked or he's no keen on Lennon.

Missing Paul Hanlon big time an all, need him back ASAP!

Came back against DUFC (last 15 mins) and was sensational. But has gone downhill since, as shadow of the player he can be. Makes such a difference when he's on his game and we're suffering badly just now.

hibsforeurope
02-03-2017, 12:14 PM
I just wonder how we can put in a performance like we did against hearts when McGinn Boyle and all of the others were superb then struggle against lesser teams. Is Lennon tinkering with the system too much? Are the players playing for him?(just asking that question as more and more fans seem to be thinking that) After sitting through last nights game I wonder if we are capable of getting promotion through the play offs far less winning the league as we were deplorable. Their keeper hardly had a save to make :confused:

It's an attitude problem the players have, they can raise their game against supposed better opposition but don't turn up aginst lower ranked teams. I don't think it's anything to do with tactics or injury purely the players need to want it more against every team we play not just Hearts and Utd.

green with envy
02-03-2017, 12:19 PM

I would lay the blame on Boyle for St Mirren's first goal due to him not tracking his man and Bartley for their second, he should never have got turned the way he did.

Largshibby
02-03-2017, 12:48 PM
been going on about this for ages -

why do Hibs not have a weekly or fortnightly update on the progress of the injured first team squad players?

Do the club not know how long they are going to be out? a simple update on the website with a estimate of a return to action would not be difficult.

If they are out for a long period or have a setback then let the fans know.

No one seems to have any idea what injuries certain players even have. As i said with players like McGeough maybe the club dont know themselves but at the moment I have no idea when Forster, Hanlon, McGeough, Humphries, Harris, Handling or Fontaine will be back :confused:

So that our rivals don't know either.

ac1
02-03-2017, 01:07 PM
So that our rivals don't know either.

Yeah I suppose that could be the reason - personally I would prefer to know the situation with our injured players and risk giving away some information to the opposition but the club may not agree with that.

I may be imagining it but I am sure they are more open with information regarding injured players abroad with estimates of when they are back but I would need to have a look maybe not!

GreenArmyyy!
02-03-2017, 01:15 PM

Harris has never and will never be as good as Boyle.

loanheadhibby
02-03-2017, 01:30 PM

2 cheeks of the same erkie for me!

stantonhibby
02-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Martin Boyle has more pace than Alex Harris but I think Harris is a more complete player. Boyle has been woeful recently and hasn't even used his pace to good effect.

The truth is, we are currently carrying an awful lot of injuries in the squad and players with niggles are having to play in tough, physical matches where teams sit tight and make us work hard. I still think we will win the Championship but it won't be easy.

Apart from not giving the LB a minutes rest against Hearts and then scoring v Dunfermline and winning the penalty.