PDA

View Full Version : Dundee United away: time to bring out the 'six pointer' cliche

Hibernia&Alba
01-03-2017, 09:01 PM
Three points taken from the last twelve; what a huge game ahead at Tannadice. The nerves will be shredded. We just never do anything the easy way.

houstonhibbee
01-03-2017, 11:31 PM
Three points taken from the last twelve; what a huge game ahead at Tannadice. The nerves will be shredded. We just never do anything the easy way.
looks like a six pointer if ever I saw one........:wink:

Captain Trips
01-03-2017, 11:34 PM
0-3 to Hibs, it is how we roll usually.

JackLadd
01-03-2017, 11:47 PM
If we can get back on the rails vs Ayr I think we'll take at least a draw, don't want to look beyond Ayr though.

pacorosssco
01-03-2017, 11:50 PM
If we can get back on the rails vs Ayr I think we'll take at least a draw, don't want to look beyond Ayr though.

Agree game at a time. Rather be our position than theirs

NAE NOOKIE
02-03-2017, 02:11 AM
If we can win we will be 10 points ahead of them ..... effectively 11 with our goal difference, which even at this stage I cant see them making up.

They will have 30 points left to play for ... we will have 27. It would take an incredible run of results from Utd to make up an effectively 11 point gap in 10 games, they would need 3 wins and a draw in 4 of these games just to be level with us on points and that would have to coincide with a run from Hibs even worse than the one we are currently on.

If it comes down to the wire the last 4 games are:

Hibs ...................... QOTS (h) .... Raith Rovers (h) .... Ayr Utd (a) .... St Mirren (h) That's if the Morton game isn't rearranged for after we play QOTS.

Dundee Utd ............ Ayr Utd (a) .... St Mirren (h) .... Dumbarton (h) .... Morton (a)

We have one more home game than them and their last game of the season couldn't be any tougher, especially if Morton could go second by winning it ...... win at Tannadice and the ball is firmly in our court, even a draw still keeps us in a decent, if slightly precarious, position. Lose and we are looking at an extremely dodgy situation.

If ever a game was a 6 pointer its this one.

danhibees1875
02-03-2017, 06:54 AM
Our last 3 games being against the teams with the most to play for isn't a good thing though. Those 3 will likely be in the relegation dog fight at that point.

I think we'll be as fired up for this game as we were the derbies. I don't think Lennon will let the team not be. Fingers crossed we needed that defeat instead of scraping by on draws to give us a kick-start - go on a wee win streak and seal the deal.

QMU-1875
02-03-2017, 07:16 AM
Our last 3 games being against the teams with the most to play for isn't a good thing though. Those 3 will likely be in the relegation dog fight at that point.

I think we'll be as fired up for this game as we were the derbies. I don't think Lennon will let the team not be. Fingers crossed we needed that defeat instead of scraping by on draws to give us a kick-start - go on a wee win streak and seal the deal.

3 teams that'll set up for a win, could be a positive

Pete
02-03-2017, 07:18 AM
looks like a six pointer if ever I saw one........:wink:

Could even be a seven pointer.

danhibees1875
02-03-2017, 07:21 AM
That's not a bad shout actually. Although, I do think that by now they know how to play us - set up for a draw and take the chance you get (although, I believe at Mirren were a bit more positive than that).

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Heisenberg
02-03-2017, 07:24 AM
Last night was a big game. This one is season defining. Win and we are looking good. Lose and they smell blood.

Lancs Harp
02-03-2017, 07:28 AM

But they wont set up for a win. The way teams beat Hibs is to sit back, frustrate and hit on the break.

Stokesy's on fire
02-03-2017, 07:45 AM
Every game from now until the end of the season is massive.

Jim44
02-03-2017, 07:52 AM

A draw against Ayr is getting back on the rails? A draw against Ayr in my mind would be another fatal blow to our league campaign. It would give United a great confidence boost. Why don't you want to look beyond Ayr? The DUtd. game is arguably the most important one since the Cup final. Frankly, I wish we could play that match tomorrow and not let the cup tie get in the way.

Hibernia&Alba
02-03-2017, 07:57 AM
A draw at Tannadice would be perfectly okay - another game down and the gap not closing any. They are the side that really need to go out and win the game, which may play into our hands. However, losing there would be a huge blow in present circumstances.

Jim44
02-03-2017, 07:58 AM
That's not a bad shout actually. Although, I do think that by now they know how to play us - set up for a draw and take the chance you get (although, I believe at Mirren were a bit more positive than that).

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Exactly. We use the excuse of teams parking the bus too often. St Mirren can't be accused of that and we couldn't cope with them. Our confidence and play at the back can be like a chocolate frying pan at times. If we must use the excuse of teams sitting in, then it's up to Lennon to solve the problem.

Sir David Gray
02-03-2017, 08:00 AM
We'll need a huge improvement on the last two or three weeks (barring the Hearts game) or else we're in for a very long night and an even longer end to the season.

Baldy Foghorn
02-03-2017, 08:45 AM
Was always going to be a massive game, but last night's result has cranked it up a bt further....Time for us to knuckle down and start winning games, no matter how ugly

Stevie Reid
02-03-2017, 08:54 AM
United's record in the league since we beat them has been P 5 W 1 D 3 L 1 GF 8 GA 8, so thankfully they are not in any kind of form either. I'm extremely glad that they don't play on Saturday so the gap will remain at 7 points until we meet each other.

I didn't think we would be struggling so much at this point, but the pressure is all on them next week really - if they don't win, they've got a mountain to climb. Draw suits us fine.

BlackSheep
02-03-2017, 09:02 AM
If we can win we will be 10 points ahead of them ..... effectively 11 with our goal difference, which even at this stage I cant see them making up.

They will have 30 points left to play for ... we will have 27. It would take an incredible run of results from Utd to make up an effectively 11 point gap in 10 games, they would need 3 wins and a draw in 4 of these games just to be level with us on points and that would have to coincide with a run from Hibs even worse than the one we are currently on.

If it comes down to the wire the last 4 games are:

Hibs ...................... QOTS (h) .... Raith Rovers (h) .... Ayr Utd (a) .... St Mirren (h) That's if the Morton game isn't rearranged for after we play QOTS.

Dundee Utd ............ Ayr Utd (a) .... St Mirren (h) .... Dumbarton (h) .... Morton (a)

We have one more home game than them and their last game of the season couldn't be any tougher, especially if Morton could go second by winning it ...... win at Tannadice and the ball is firmly in our court, even a draw still keeps us in a decent, if slightly precarious, position. Lose and we are looking at an extremely dodgy situation.

If ever a game was a 6 pointer its this one.

The Morton game has been rearranged to the 29th March...

Stevie Reid
02-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Worth remembering that our head to head record with the top four is good this season:

Dundee Utd: W1 D1 L1 - no points difference
Falkirk: W2 D1 L0 - +6 points
Morton W1 D1 L0 - +3 points

So whilst our results against the lower ranked teams have been disappointing, we have come through when it really matters.

biotech
02-03-2017, 11:05 AM
Not sure it's a must win, certainly a can't afford to loose game.

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-03-2017, 11:44 AM
right now, the Dundee United game is irrelevant. Ayr United in the cup at the weekend is the only thing fans/players/management should be concentrating on. Noisy atmosphere before the game starts - its a 1/4 of the Scottish Cup (which we are current holders) so let's have ER bouncing.. Players attack from the off and let's hammer them

02-03-2017, 12:17 PM
right now, the Dundee United game is irrelevant. Ayr United in the cup at the weekend is the only thing fans/players/management should be concentrating on. Noisy atmosphere before the game starts - its a 1/4 of the Scottish Cup (which we are current holders) so let's have ER bouncing.. Players attack from the off and let's hammer them

I agree that we should focus on each game as it comes but the Dundee Utd game is so much more important than Ayr in the cup. If we win on saturday i'll be absolutely delighted with yet another trip to hampden but if we lose it wouldn't be the worst thing. We absolutely MUST get out of this league, thats the priority. Another season down here would be crippling financially and utterly demoralising. We would lose so much morale that carried over from last season cup win and ST sales would fall way back down. The cup win saved us last year, unlikely we will have that same saving grace this year.

Utd is a huge game and given the position we are in so is every other league game. We SHOULD be absolutely miles ahead in which case we could afford a have a couple of off days but because we're not, every game is important.

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-03-2017, 12:33 PM
I agree that we should focus on each game as it comes but the Dundee Utd game is so much more important than Ayr in the cup. If we win on saturday i'll be absolutely delighted with yet another trip to hampden but if we lose it wouldn't be the worst thing. We absolutely MUST get out of this league, thats the priority. Another season down here would be crippling financially and utterly demoralising. We would lose so much morale that carried over from last season cup win and ST sales would fall way back down. The cup win saved us last year, unlikely we will have that same saving grace this year.

Utd is a huge game and given the position we are in so is every other league game. We SHOULD be absolutely miles ahead in which case we could afford a have a couple of off days but because we're not, every game is important.

Absolutely, apologies if my point wasnt clear. For me, the Dundee United game is far bigger. Agree with what you say and in all honesty, although i'll be gutted if we lose on Saturday the longer term objective this season is getting out the league so beating United means more. I meant from the perspective of just turning up and expecting an easy win. That was imo a feeling felt from the management through to the players and on to the fans ahead of the last encounter with Ayr. We knew Hearts was coming up and people were ridiculously suggesting that game was bigger than a league encounter.

The future will take care of itself, its 1 game at a time at the moment and if we do win on Saturday, maybe that will give the players a boost ahead of the United game. But personally, i'm only thinking about Ayr United on Saturday

Onion
02-03-2017, 12:49 PM
Last night was a big game. This one is season defining. Win and we are looking good. Lose and they smell blood.

Replacing the smell of fear Hibs usually give off in this position.

JohnMcM
02-03-2017, 12:51 PM
But they wont set up for a win. The way teams beat Hibs is to sit back, frustrate and hit on the break.

St Mirren didn't sit back too much :wink:

cabbageandribs1875
02-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Dundee utd could be 3rd by the time they play us, Falkirk would leap-frog them if they win at Q.o.s this saturday

Lago
02-03-2017, 01:06 PM
A draw at Tannadice would be perfectly okay - another game down and the gap not closing any. They are the side that really need to go out and win the game, which may play into our hands. However, losing there would be a huge blow in present circumstances.
Yip good call re draw.

Lancs Harp
02-03-2017, 02:13 PM
St Mirren didn't sit back too much :wink:

True (well have to take your word for it as I wasnt there) and Dunfermline didnt either but thats just one or two games out of a good number of games we have struggled in when the oposition has just parked the bus and frustrated us (over three seasons in this league). Ayr will be the same on saturday and why not its worked twice for them already this season. They certainly wont be coming here to "have a go" and neither will the vast majority of teams we come up against in the remainder of our games. We need to find a answer.

heretoday
02-03-2017, 02:20 PM
Hibs will beat United because the pressure's on. They'll exceed expectations. It's the games against the wee teams that's the problem.

RoxburghHibs
02-03-2017, 10:04 PM
How many tickets in total have we been allocated for this match?

Dashing Bob S
03-03-2017, 02:34 AM
Hibs will beat United because the pressure's on. They'll exceed expectations. It's the games against the wee teams that's the problem.

If they do it'll be because United aren't very good. Dunfermline and St Mirren are the best I've seen in that division this season. Good thing they've only come into form now. Would fancy either v DU/Falkirk, which is the main reason I think we'll still win the League.

JackLadd
03-03-2017, 03:22 AM
We need to beat Ayr for a change. That's the only game I care about.