PDA

View Full Version : M8 - M9 or any other alternatives for tonight?

green with envy
01-03-2017, 12:49 PM
Due to the massive road works on the M8 near Ballieston and that the huns are at home, this route could take for ever.

I'm thinking M9 then onto the M80 straight into Glasgow. This is obviously longer as the crow flies but i suspect it could be slightly quicker without getting out of 1st gear for long stretches.

Anyone for anywhere else?

WHAM
01-03-2017, 12:57 PM
M9 is quicker at the minute mate.

Anytime I'm coming back East, I avoid the M8 due to the average speed and now the major diversions.

Although, tonight with rangers at home I think all routes will be a nightmare. You will probably find where the M80 merges with the M8 it will be clogged back.

Albanian Hibs
01-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Coming off at the A725 and going the east kilbride expressway which hopefully eventually comes into the back of paisley somewhere??

Aubenas
01-03-2017, 01:12 PM
Coming off at the A725 and going the east kilbride expressway which hopefully eventually comes into the back of paisley somewhere??

Yep. East Kilbride. Clarkston Eastwood Toll Paisley.
Still cluttered at Raith interchange but better than M8

JDHibs
01-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Could also use the A71/M74...

Jim44
01-03-2017, 01:17 PM
Travelling from Peebles I'm thinking of going Carluke - Strathaven - East Kilbride - Paisley, thus avoiding M8/M74 works/Glasgow rush hour and Hun traffic.

I hope Carheenlea doesn't mind me cutting and pasting this from an earlier post. It might tie in with the later part of your journey.

lucky
01-03-2017, 01:18 PM
M8 is not a problem at Ballieston but Rangers are at home so traffic after the Kingston bridge will be a nightmare.

ian cruise
01-03-2017, 01:26 PM

From East Kilbride at the Holiday Inn follow signs for the M77. Instead of going to Ayr head to Glasgow, Paisley cut off is two or three along.

jgl07
01-03-2017, 01:29 PM
Due to the massive road works on the M8 near Ballieston and that the huns are at home, this route could take for ever.

I'm thinking M9 then onto the M80 straight into Glasgow. This is obviously longer as the crow flies but i suspect it could be slightly quicker without getting out of 1st gear for long stretches.

Anyone for anywhere else?
Why would anyone in their right mind go via Ballieston to Paisley?

There is a brand new motorway connection that avoids the roadworks.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-03-2017, 01:36 PM
If you get the train back from Glasgow after 2238 there is a coach replacement service for part of the journey.

green with envy
01-03-2017, 01:37 PM
M8 is not a problem at Ballieston but Rangers are at home so traffic after the Kingston bridge will be a nightmare.

I've never went across the Kingston Bridge in years when going to Paisley as i tend to by pass Polmadie on the M73, however after reading this that was posted last week...

Taken from STV.

Motorists are being warned ahead of a major ten-week diversion on the M8 due to start on Friday.

Works are set to get under way on Friday night on the M8 and A8 in Baillieston to complete the construction of the new stretch of road known as the "missing link".

The roadworks come as part of the massive multi-million pound improvement project to upgrade Scotland's motorways.

The Ballieston works will last up to ten weeks and motorists have been warned to expect delays as all routes surrounding the area are expected to be affected with a major diversion put in place.

The diversion of the A8/M8 is needed to remove 13,000m² of existing carriageway and 40,000m³ of earth to connect the new M8 to the existing M8 which is approximately 5m higher.

kennyh
01-03-2017, 01:47 PM
Yep. East Kilbride. Clarkston Eastwood Toll Paisley.
Still cluttered at Raith interchange but better than M8

Raith Interchange will be OK for anyone heading West. The underpass is now open and should get on the East kilbride expressway easilly enough.

ArmadaleHibs
01-03-2017, 02:04 PM
I'm going by train today. Not taking a chance with traffic tho as m8 is ridiculous

BlackSheep
01-03-2017, 03:59 PM
The Ballieston works will last up to ten weeks and motorists have been warned to expect delays as all routes surrounding the area are expected to be affected with a major diversion put in place.

I commute Edi - Gla every day and I use the diversion and it has added almost no additional time to my journeys thus far....

snooky
01-03-2017, 05:36 PM
One time I came back from Hampden and went the M9 as the M8 was choc-a. Tbh, I didn't notice much difference.
I'll be giving the M8 a miss when I head west on Friday. M9 it is.

oconnors_strip
01-03-2017, 05:40 PM
No problems going through the roadworks tonight, slowest part was getting out of edinburgh to junction 3 on m8.

Albanian Hibs
01-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Left at 5pm and it took an hour to get to east kilbride turn off from city bypass. No problem from there though apart from numerous roundabouts and traffic lights - much better than sitting stationary on the M8. Even had time to stop at KFC!