PDA

View Full Version : The Blue Brazil

LancsHibs
28-02-2017, 10:03 PM
Beaten by Edinburgh City tonight, took a look at the league 2 table and noticed Cowden are rooted to the bottom looking almost certain to face a playoff against EK or someone for their league status (don't fancy their chances). Was only two seasons ago we went to Central Park in the pooring rain and got soaked to the skin! they have gone from Championship to oblivion in 2 seasons! Any one know what the story is at Cowdenbeath? Any Fifers got he inside story?

Boyle89
28-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Beaten by Edinburgh City tonight, took a look at the league 2 table and noticed Cowden are rooted to the bottom looking almost certain to face a playoff against EK or someone for their league status (don't fancy their chances). Was only two seasons ago we went to Central Park in the pooring rain and got soaked to the skin! they have gone from Championship to oblivion in 2 seasons! Any one know what the story is at Cowdenbeath? Any Fifers got he inside story?

Zero money. Fans asked to help the club out financially I think. Real trouble even if they stay up.
Crazy to think they had Hemming and Stewart upfront a few years ago.

Borderhibbie76
28-02-2017, 10:36 PM
Remember that wet day in November...horrific stadium and took a month to dry out afterwards....some slide for them since then tho

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

28-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Really they wouldn't be a loss to the senior game if they went out Div 2.
Has to be the worst ground in the leagues.

One person will know the truth - Chairman, Donald Findlay QC.
He has an excellent reputation of helping to run clubs that wear Blue into the ground.

SteveHFC
28-02-2017, 10:41 PM
Remember that wet day in November...horrific stadium and took a month to dry out afterwards....some slide for them since then tho

Only time i've left at half time due to the horrific weather.

monktonharp
28-02-2017, 10:44 PM
Beaten by Edinburgh City tonight, took a look at the league 2 table and noticed Cowden are rooted to the bottom looking almost certain to face a playoff against EK or someone for their league status (don't fancy their chances). Was only two seasons ago we went to Central Park in the pooring rain and got soaked to the skin! they have gone from Championship to oblivion in 2 seasons! Any one know what the story is at Cowdenbeath? Any Fifers got he inside story?one of their players is indefinitely suspended as far as I know. he is subject to court proceedings, for match betting and loads of his bets were against his own team . think he played in almost all the games in question too and possibly as a full back? the ground is nothing short of being a coup, they have Donald Findlay as a chairman/director as far as I recall and get revenue from stock car events. the town of C/beath is a haven for auld Rangers supporters, and no doubt will have plenty ready to take up the baton/flute for new sevco. time for a real shake-up in the lower league to see progressive clubs like Spartans,EK, Edin.City etc getting to the fore. this is the way forward for Scottish football at least to bring on better players .

monktonharp
28-02-2017, 10:48 PM

He has an excellent reputation of helping to run clubs that wear Blue into the ground. if the truth came out, he'd deny all knowledge. a bit like maist of his clients over the years when questioned by the PF. :wink:

Sir David Gray
28-02-2017, 10:51 PM
one of their players is indefinitely suspended as far as I know. he is subject to court proceedings, for match betting and loads of his bets were against his own team . think he played in almost all the games in question too and possibly as a full back? the ground is nothing short of being a coup, they have Donald Findlay as a chairman/director as far as I recall and get revenue from stock car events. the town of C/beath is a haven for auld Rangers supporters, and no doubt will have plenty ready to take up the baton/flute for new sevco. time for a real shake-up in the lower league to see progressive clubs like Spartans,EK, Edin.City etc getting to the fore. this is the way forward for Scottish football at least to bring on better players .

That was Dean Brett and he was sacked by the club last week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39083265

Itsnoteasy
28-02-2017, 10:52 PM
one of their players is indefinitely suspended as far as I know. he is subject to court proceedings, for match betting and loads of his bets were against his own team . think he played in almost all the games in question too and possibly as a full back? the ground is nothing short of being a coup, they have Donald Findlay as a chairman/director as far as I recall and get revenue from stock car events. the town of C/beath is a haven for auld Rangers supporters, and no doubt will have plenty ready to take up the baton/flute for new sevco. time for a real shake-up in the lower league to see progressive clubs like Spartans,EK, Edin.City etc getting to the fore. this is the way forward for Scottish football at least to bring on better players .

He got his jotters a couple of days ago

Hibernia&Alba
28-02-2017, 10:58 PM
Only time i've left at half time due to the horrific weather.

Lightweight, Steve. Some of us endured to the end :greengrin. However, it was the most miserable experience I've had in the stands, and I vowed I would never go back there. Standing out in the open during a monsoon isn't funny.

silverhibee
28-02-2017, 11:02 PM

I was at the game tonight, the guy you talk about betting was sacked, but I just watched a game where you could have a good case to answer about dodgy betting going on, lost count of the amount of players that were booked and i said to my mate that get your money on a red card in this game, and hey presto, red card for dissent towards the ref, so blatant.

And it was f***ing freezing.

Beath fans were not happy at the end of the game and got it a bit tense with fans and coaching staff, an auld guy behind me shouted, " i sold my house to help this club and this is what you serve up, get tae f***" don't no if he did sell his house but he seemed a decent looking auld chap.

28-02-2017, 11:06 PM

What I've been told is the stadium (if you can call it that) is not owned by the Club and they play second fiddle to the stock car racing.
In the modern game clubs that have been run as badly as them have no future and agree they should be replaced by the more progressive emerging clubs.

jacomo
28-02-2017, 11:11 PM
That was Dean Brett and he was sacked by the club last week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39083265

That video is something.

He is far from the sharpest tool in the box.

monktonharp
28-02-2017, 11:24 PM
added to the comments about the blue brazil, and their crackpot chairman, I do also have to say that I was at a gentleman's breakfast or smoker, whichever you prefer and it was to raise funds for their youth system. as far as I recall, they had a pretty good set up for the boys at that time and were prepairing them for an overseas event.? someone may have more on this. But, it was in Lochgelly miners' club or Toon hall , with the local wummin' doing the grub before the drink/jokes/speakers etc. It was an absolute hoot, and the star of the show being big Leishman in his inimitable Fife accent," ya hoor ye sur" language. he was also master of ceremonies when the inevitable auction came up. he was ideal for the situation, as he was actually publicly embarrassing young plumbers and joiners companies who were local, to raise their bids for all the usual signed and framed fitba' stuff on show. that must have been 20 years ago now, but where has the system and the money gaun??

Hibernia&Alba
28-02-2017, 11:27 PM
That video is something.

He is far from the sharpest tool in the box.

Indeed. He doesn't come across as a bad guy, just clueless.

monktonharp
28-02-2017, 11:34 PM
That video is something.

He is far from the sharpest tool in the box.Well, .....I cant bring myself to watch the video, as I find the possible reason, probably not the best way to describe it....but, when I read about his personal loss(es) that part is very very sad. he has been empted and will regret that some time but to lose his young wife, then child is very sad.

connerg
01-03-2017, 12:15 AM

Me too. Think we won 1-2? Utterly crap ground and a ***** town or village.

monktonharp
01-03-2017, 12:48 AM
Me too. Think we won 1-2? Utterly crap ground and a ***** town or village.is not a picturesque town, of that there is no doubt. was mainly built on mining, which eventually closed down but they still had a huge mining maintenance centre, supplying refurbished equipment for our mining industry in Scotland. gone now. but we did a fun day last season, in the Auld Cross Guns pub, when I bought a round, and was amazed at the low price I then said to the barmaid, can I have a council hoose application form. she said wha' fur? Him ow'er there, he cannae believe the cheap prices and wants to move here. the auld guy next to me said.......this is the dearest shoap in the toon and am gonnae boycott it if they dinnae reduce their prices! loved it.

connerg
01-03-2017, 01:58 AM
is not a picturesque town, of that there is no doubt. was mainly built on mining, which eventually closed down but they still had a huge mining maintenance centre, supplying refurbished equipment for our mining industry in Scotland. gone now. but we did a fun day last season, in the Auld Cross Guns pub, when I bought a round, and was amazed at the low price I then said to the barmaid, can I have a council hoose application form. she said wha' fur? Him ow'er there, he cannae believe the cheap prices and wants to move here. the auld guy next to me said.......this is the dearest shoap in the toon and am gonnae boycott it if they dinnae reduce their prices! loved it.

Ok, maybe i was being a bit to harsh on the town. I do remember the local youths not being happy with a lot of Hibs fans still being there at around 9pm, we were pished. The cars racing up and down their high street was quite amusing.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-03-2017, 04:54 AM

He has an excellent reputation of helping to run clubs that wear Blue into the ground.

Maybe they could play him in defence?

sambajustice
01-03-2017, 06:07 AM
Watched Riordan turn out and score a hat trick I think for The Beath in a Scottish Cup tie. Although Wikipedia will tell you different. Can any stattos confirm?

Used to go to Cowdenbeath a lot with my mate. Great craic. Players know there's only 5-10 mins left because all the stock cars start lining up outside!!

Went to one game vs Raith, couple of thousand there and there wasn't much segregation. Unfortunately it didn't kick off but it could have at any time!! LOL

J-C
01-03-2017, 06:19 AM
Lets be honest here, Cowdenbeath and a good few teams of a similar ilk should not be playing in the league set up we have now.It has been said by many that we have far too many professional clubs in Scottish football, I can think of quite a few very decent senior/junior teams with a far bigger fan base than Cowdenbeath who would add to our leagues.

This is where the case for league reconstruction would come in, 2 larger quality leagues with regional leagues for the rest, ending in play offs at the end of he season

jacomo
01-03-2017, 07:20 AM
Lets be honest here, Cowdenbeath and a good few teams of a similar ilk should not be playing in the league set up we have now.It has been said by many that we have far too many professional clubs in Scottish football, I can think of quite a few very decent senior/junior teams with a far bigger fan base than Cowdenbeath who would add to our leagues.

This is where the case for league reconstruction would come in, 2 larger quality leagues with regional leagues for the rest, ending in play offs at the end of he season

I agree with this proposed set up, I think it would make Scottish football stronger.

But as to whether there are too many clubs, or if Blue Brazil could go fully pro - that would be up to individual clubs.

ian cruise
01-03-2017, 07:30 AM
Well, .....I cant bring myself to watch the video, as I find the possible reason, probably not the best way to describe it....but, when I read about his personal loss(es) that part is very very sad. he has been empted and will regret that some time but to lose his young wife, then child is very sad.

I have to agree with you, he comes across as someone who has been dealt a terrible hand recently and has his own demons to contend with at the same time. He's probably no different from many young guys (putting on an acca, using offensive words as banter without thinking of the implications) but because he's a footballer he gets held to a higher standard and is in the public eye for his actions, while probably getting paid a couple of hundred pounds a months for the privilege.

Obviously both his actions in regards to vetting and the language used are wrong but I hope that folk can rally round and help the lad instead of making him some sort of pariah, he obviously doesn't have his troubles to seek so would be good to see him moving on from this and turning it around.

The Pointer
01-03-2017, 07:54 AM
Remember the Scottish Cup game there as it was probably the coldest I've ever been at a game. The locals were extremely friendly and welcoming and the owner of the cafe we went into was great crack. Despite being a Cowdenbeath sponsor he was a big Rovers fan and took great pleasure in showing us his photos of their games against Bayern Munich.

Hope they survive and if they do, I hope they move the TV gantry from in front of the fans.

J-C
01-03-2017, 07:58 AM
I agree with this proposed set up, I think it would make Scottish football stronger.

But as to whether there are too many clubs, or if Blue Brazil could go fully pro - that would be up to individual clubs.

I didn't mean for them to go full time, it's about all these smaller clubs finding their levels and building a structure for them all to survive. Teams like Bonnyrigg, Whitehill Welfare and Spartans have all done reasonably well in recent years, running as part time senior/junior teams and within their means, the set up in England is what we should look at.

Billy Whizz
01-03-2017, 08:00 AM
Isn't the Cowdenbeath coach/manager on loan from Hearts for a season, or has he moved on?

Since90+2
01-03-2017, 08:13 AM
I fancy East Kilbride to beat whatever team finishes bottom of League 2 so for Cowdenbeath's sake I hope its not them. From the Championship to the Lowland League in just a few years is pretty horrific.

East Kilbride on the other hand have very ambitious plans to progress through the leagues quite rapidly. They already have over 600 players spread over 28 teams and a fairly big catchment area to tap into. I would not be surprised to see them doing well in League 2 next season.

Billy Whizz
01-03-2017, 08:31 AM
I fancy East Kilbride to beat whatever team finishes bottom of League 2 so for Cowdenbeath's sake I hope its not them. From the Championship to the Lowland League in just a few years is pretty horrific.

East Kilbride on the other hand have very ambitious plans to progress through the leagues quite rapidly. They already have over 600 players spread over 28 teams and a fairly big catchment area to tap into. I would not be surprised to see them doing well in League 2 next season.

What sort of crowds are they getting?

Since90+2
01-03-2017, 08:56 AM
Not sure what sort of crowds they are getting currently , probably a few hundred at a guess.

East Kilbride is a very large town though , probably larger than people realise , its got a bigger population than Hamilton , Dunfermline , Motherwell , Kirkcaldy , Inverness and Kilmarnock.

Yes its close to Glasgow but its obviously in a fairly football mad part of the country. If they start going up the leagues they do have alot of potential as a club.

ShinyFantastic
01-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Hope they go down and cease to exist. I never ever want to go back to that horrific excuse for a football ground again.

bigwheel
01-03-2017, 09:14 AM
Hope they go down and cease to exist. I never ever want to go back to that horrific excuse for a football ground again.

ffs....the glorious spirit of the football community...:rolleyes:

ian cruise
01-03-2017, 09:15 AM
Not sure what sort of crowds they are getting currently , probably a few hundred at a guess.

East Kilbride is a very large town though , probably larger than people realise , its got a bigger population than Hamilton , Dunfermline , Motherwell , Kirkcaldy , Inverness and Kilmarnock.

Yes its close to Glasgow but its obviously in a fairly football mad part of the country. If they start going up the leagues they do have alot of potential as a club.

There's been a desire to have a non junior Clun in EK for a while and the team are getting a fair backing from the folk in the town considering the clubbing relatively new and the historic support of the old firm in the town. If they went up they'd get bigger crowds than a lot of the other league one and two teams as more folk are getting turned away from the old firm due to the cost and politics involved in supporting either side.

--------
01-03-2017, 09:19 AM
Indeed. He doesn't come across as a bad guy, just clueless.

"The club also revealed that the SFA had found Brett guilty of making "comments upon a social networking site, namely Twitter, that were of a discriminatory, and offensive nature, based upon sexual orientation as well as comments that were otherwise of an offensive nature," resulting in the ban."

The SFA's surely to be commended for their decisive action here.

Now I wonder when they'll apply the same decisive action to the players and support of that other team that plays in blue and is not unconnected to Findlay?

Sir David Gray
01-03-2017, 09:21 AM

ffs....the glorious spirit of the football community...:rolleyes:

I agree with him.

Central Park isn't fit for purpose as a stadium for a professional football club.

stantonhibby
01-03-2017, 09:25 AM

Apparently East Kilbride is the biggest town in Scotland never to have a team in the top division. Was a question at a footy quiz I was at a few weeks ago. But of a trick question we thought as we assumed the town had to have a senior team!

--------
01-03-2017, 09:26 AM
Well, .....I cant bring myself to watch the video, as I find the possible reason, probably not the best way to describe it....but, when I read about his personal loss(es) that part is very very sad. he has been empted and will regret that some time but to lose his young wife, then child is very sad.

To lose the wee girl, and then four months later to lose his wife at such a young age, is enough to knock anyone completely off the rails. He was only 22 at the time. I can't imagine what he must have been feeling, and that was still only two years ago.

I doubt the laddie knew whether he was on his feet or his head at times. Or does yet. :agree:

Since90+2
01-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Apparently East Kilbride is the biggest town in Scotland never to have a team in the top division. Was a question at a footy quiz I was at a few weeks ago. But of a trick question we thought as we assumed the town had to have a senior team!

It's actually the 6th biggest town or city in Scotland, about twice the size of Falkirk and a lot bigger than Perth.

Definitely a club with untapped potential.

SJNB Hibby
01-03-2017, 11:08 AM

League crowds between 258 and 342. Pretty grim

01-03-2017, 11:26 AM
What a state they are in. It was only a few weeks ago that I noticed they were bottom of the 3rd division (league 2 whatever you call it). I didn't actually realise they had been relegated again, I still thought they were in the league below us. They seem to have just gone into free fall and now they've just binned their captain.

I remember going to central park a few years back when we played them in the cup. Probably one of the coldest I have ever been at a football match. By the time I got back to my car I could barely move my feet, they were like blocks of ice. Terrible stadium.

JDHibs
01-03-2017, 11:31 AM
I like the new format for relegation from League 2. It had went stale after years of no movement, didnt matter where you finished.

Some big big clubs waiting for a chance to come into the league set up. Should weed out the smaller clubs pretty quickly.

Craig_HFC
01-03-2017, 01:45 PM
I'll never forget the Cowdenbeath captain screaming ‘stop ****in’ bouncin’!!’ at the ball when he mis-controlled a pass from his team mate and put it out for a throw in.

We beat them 5-0 that day.

SteveHFC
01-03-2017, 11:15 PM
I like the new format for relegation from League 2. It had went stale after years of no movement, didnt matter where you finished.

Some big big clubs waiting for a chance to come into the league set up. Should weed out the smaller clubs pretty quickly.

Should be two up (highland league champions and lowland league champions) and bottom two down.

AndyM_1875
02-03-2017, 07:50 AM
I agree with him.

Central Park isn't fit for purpose as a stadium for a professional football club.

Cowdenbeath have been trying to move from Central Park for a few years. They have been trying to get the stadium project which was planned at the south end of the town near the A92 on the go but it requires grants and funding and Cowdenbeath simply don't have that.
Fans like us can sneer at them (and there's been a fair bit of sneering on this thread) but it takes real effort to support a team like them. A Cowdenbeath fan I know genuinely believes that these are the end days of his club.
I hope he is wrong, teams like his are community clubs.

AndyM_1875
02-03-2017, 07:52 AM

Ah bless.. what a charmer.

Grow up.

Jack
06-03-2017, 09:44 PM
From Facebook

LIAM FOX

At tonight’s Board meeting at Central Park the Directors of Cowdenbeath FC accepted the resignation of Head Coach Liam Fox. He now leaves his role at the club by mutual consent. The Club regrets that despite Liam’s great efforts and true professionalism he was not able to bring the success we all wished for. He did face a number of challenges this season, some of which few managers would normally expect to encounter, especially in their first season in management. He leaves Central Park with the respect and best wishes of the Chairman and all the Directors of the club.

Liam has requested that we pass on the following message on his behalf ‘Firstly, I’d like to thank Cowdenbeath for giving me the opportunity to manage their football club. The experience gained and lessons learned in a short period of time will no doubt prove invaluable to me in my career.

I’d like to thank the players and backroom staff for their hard work, commitment and all the backing that they’ve given me during my time at the club.

Finally, I’d like to thank Donald Findlay for all the support and help afforded to me whilst I was in charge at Central Park. I wish everyone at Cowdenbeath Football Club every success in the future’.

Cowdenbeath FC now invites applications for the post of manager. All applicants should email office@cowdenbeathfc.com (please also include your football related CV).

DaveF
06-03-2017, 09:56 PM
From Facebook

LIAM FOX

At tonight’s Board meeting at Central Park the Directors of Cowdenbeath FC accepted the resignation of Head Coach Liam Fox. He now leaves his role at the club by mutual consent. The Club regrets that despite Liam’s great efforts and true professionalism he was not able to bring the success we all wished for. He did face a number of challenges this season, some of which few managers would normally expect to encounter, especially in their first season in management. He leaves Central Park with the respect and best wishes of the Chairman and all the Directors of the club.

Liam has requested that we pass on the following message on his behalf ‘Firstly, I’d like to thank Cowdenbeath for giving me the opportunity to manage their football club. The experience gained and lessons learned in a short period of time will no doubt prove invaluable to me in my career.

I’d like to thank the players and backroom staff for their hard work, commitment and all the backing that they’ve given me during my time at the club.

Finally, I’d like to thank Donald Findlay for all the support and help afforded to me whilst I was in charge at Central Park. I wish everyone at Cowdenbeath Football Club every success in the future’.

Cowdenbeath FC now invites applications for the post of manager. All applicants should email office@cowdenbeathfc.com (please also include your football related CV).

I note that he does not thank the fans and I'm not surprised given the level of personal abuse he got when I was through there last week for the Edinburgh game.

Liberal Hibby
06-03-2017, 09:57 PM
From Facebook

LIAM FOX

To be fair it can't have been easy for Liam Fox to give this job the attention it deserved while also serving as Secretary of State for International Trade...

Jonnyboy
06-03-2017, 10:02 PM

Their stadium might not be shiny, nor their team fantastic but I for one wish them well. Their hardcore fans could easily jump on the buses heading for Glasgow on a Saturday but choose to support their local team which, in my book, deserves a bit of respect

bawheid
06-03-2017, 10:03 PM
To lose the wee girl, and then four months later to lose his wife at such a young age, is enough to knock anyone completely off the rails. He was only 22 at the time. I can't imagine what he must have been feeling, and that was still only two years ago.

I doubt the laddie knew whether he was on his feet or his head at times. Or does yet. :agree:

He was on the Call Kaye phone in on Radio Scotland a week or so ago. Felt so sorry for him. He didn't make a big play on the connection between his loss and the gambling but it's hard to see that he would be thinking clearly over the past few months and years.

I came away thinking that it was a shame that football dumped him rather than helping him.

Lancs Harp
06-03-2017, 10:10 PM
From Facebook

LIAM FOX

Just updating my CV, this could be the chance I've been waiting for.

Bishop Hibee
06-03-2017, 10:18 PM
We need a proper pyramid system in this country. Like it or not I'd like to see the juniors merged with so-called senior clubs. Clubs with a go-ahead attitude and community support would flourish while clubs who've bumbled away at the foot of the 40 clubs go down.

Who has really missed East Stirlingshire?

Slim Shady
06-03-2017, 10:33 PM
He was on the Call Kaye phone in on Radio Scotland a week or so ago. Felt so sorry for him. He didn't make a big play on the connection between his loss and the gambling but it's hard to see that he would be thinking clearly over the past few months and years.

I came away thinking that it was a shame that football dumped him rather than helping him.

Football hasn't dumped him. He's getting paid in full while he goes into rehab. He will have the opportunity to return. Decent lad and player.

silverhibee
07-03-2017, 12:30 AM
I note that he does not thank the fans and I'm not surprised given the level of personal abuse he got when I was through there last week for the Edinburgh game.

:agree:

Some of it (infact all of it) was disgusting, I was sat next to wee fat Robbo and he just shook his head at the abuse that was being dished out and said "crazy stuff".

Worst was, this wasn't a bunch of kids venting there fury, it was old men and guys in there 40 -50s who were on the verge of having a heart attack while screaming abuse at the manager and players.

Dashing Bob S
07-03-2017, 01:18 AM
Their stadium might not be shiny, nor their team fantastic but I for one wish them well. Their hardcore fans could easily jump on the buses heading for Glasgow on a Saturday but choose to support their local team which, in my book, deserves a bit of respect

Never got the hate-in against smaller clubs. Some people follow them week in, week out, and take a passionate interest in them. They don't deserve to be wiped off the map because somebody once got their shoes dirty there, or felt a bit of cold rain trickle down their necks.

snooky
07-03-2017, 01:18 AM

:agree: 100% :aok:

Jones28
07-03-2017, 06:34 AM
:agree:

Some of it (infact all of it) was disgusting, I was sat next to wee fat Robbo and he just shook his head at the abuse that was being dished out and said "crazy stuff".

Worst was, this wasn't a bunch of kids venting there fury, it was old men and guys in there 40 -50s who were on the verge of having a heart attack while screaming abuse at the manager and players.

As horrible as it may have been silver, put yourself in their shoes. A never ending spiral of decline culminating in being bottom of the professional set up in Scotland is bound to get people emotional and angry.

FWIW I respect Cowdenbeath and it's supporters because as others have said it would be easy enough to jump on the busses to Glasgow every week.

Again as others have said East Kilbride are an ambitious, seemingly well run club with a huge catchment and could possibly be a sleeping giant in Scottish football terms. Obviously there's a lot of competition but if they can get themselves in the league set up then they could progress quickly with the right backing.

Jack
07-03-2017, 06:44 AM
We need a proper pyramid system in this country. Like it or not I'd like to see the juniors merged with so-called senior clubs. Clubs with a go-ahead attitude and community support would flourish while clubs who've bumbled away at the foot of the 40 clubs go down.

Who has really missed East Stirlingshire?

I'm not sure what the opinions are now but a while back many of these junior clubs didn't want to be in the senior leagues.

Whales in buckets rather than minnows in the ocean.

guidref
07-03-2017, 06:49 AM

I know Dean and his family very well and what they all went through was so heart breaking but in no way was it related to Dean's twitter issue and his gambling (which are 2 seperate issues and not related)

Dean is one of the nicest and honest lads you could meet but is not the brightest sometimes and the fact that he was putting the results of his bets on his twitter shows that he didn't believe he was doing anything wrong.

The bets he made for Cowdenbeath to lose were the games againt Rangers, Hibs and Hearts when he thought they were never going to win them anyway.

I cant condone the things he has done but he has been hung out to dry a bit. He is seaking help and will come back a bit stronger and bit wiser.

jdships
07-03-2017, 06:50 AM

:thumbsup::agree:
Good sensible post !!!

marinello59
07-03-2017, 07:01 AM

If they go down fair enough but cease to exist? As for their ground, if we hadn't messed things up so well ourselves we would only ever have been going there for cup games, not the less attractive league fixtures we ended up attending. Best of luck to them whatever happens.

Brunswickbill
07-03-2017, 07:12 AM
December 2014 IIRC I persuaded a few non- hibby mates to accompany me to the game at Cowbeneath when it poured right throughout the match. Dreadful day and it seemed we were miles away from the pitch. One of my mates, a Dee fan, left early in the second half and went to get a coffee and a bit of shelter. He searched for a coffee shop and eventually asked an old wifey. She replied "There's no coffe shops here. Didn't you know that this is s ghost town?" He eventually went to a bookie who gave free coffee if you put a minomum 50p bet on. I swore never to return to the god foresaken place.

blackpoolhibs
07-03-2017, 07:39 AM
I get it that some folk feel a huge love for their teams like Cowdenbeath, and others like Albion Rovers Stranraer and the likes.

Football has changed though, we may not like it but its never going back to how it was in the 50s and 60s.

I would restructure the league's regionally, I'd have 1 league which you could call the SPL for arguments sake.

That would consist of 20 teams, the best 20 teams we have at the end of 2021. That would give all those teams with ambition 3 full seasons to try and get their house in order, and put a team together that was in that top division.

I'd have 3 relegation places, with the bottom automatically relegated, and 2 in a play off against the 2nd and 3rd best team to come through the lower league play offs.

The leagues below would be set up regionally, obviously north and south. With the winners of those in a play off game for automatic promotion.

I'd invite every junior club in too, and the leagues restructured accordingly

The teams who are 2nd and 3rd in each league also play off for the chance against the 2nd and 3rd bottom teams in the SPL.

The lower leagues really need to get their houses in order, and if that means going part time, then fine. The country has far too many clubs, too many clubs that just exist and have no ambition other than that.

I'd also go back to awarding 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw, the reason being it will condense the league better, it stops teams running away at the top, and should do the same at the bottom.

It creates hope at both ends.

There needs to be proper competition from the bottom up, and if that means some of the established club go to the wall, then that's just a shame, but these are the clubs that are bringing the game nothing apart from a bit of history.

The future has to have hope, not fear.

Just Alf
07-03-2017, 08:45 AM
I get it that some folk feel a huge love for their teams like Cowdenbeath, and others like Albion Rovers Stranraer and the likes.

Football has changed though, we may not like it but its never going back to how it was in the 50s and 60s.

I would restructure the league's regionally, I'd have 1 league which you could call the SPL for arguments sake.

That would consist of 20 teams, the best 20 teams we have at the end of 2021. That would give all those teams with ambition 3 full seasons to try and get their house in order, and put a team together that was in that top division.

I'd have 3 relegation places, with the bottom automatically relegated, and 2 in a play off against the 2nd and 3rd best team to come through the lower league play offs.

The leagues below would be set up regionally, obviously north and south. With the winners of those in a play off game for automatic promotion.

I'd invite every junior club in too, and the leagues restructured accordingly

The teams who are 2nd and 3rd in each league also play off for the chance against the 2nd and 3rd bottom teams in the SPL.

The lower leagues really need to get their houses in order, and if that means going part time, then fine. The country has far too many clubs, too many clubs that just exist and have no ambition other than that.

I'd also go back to awarding 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw, the reason being it will condense the league better, it stops teams running away at the top, and should do the same at the bottom.

It creates hope at both ends.

There needs to be proper competition from the bottom up, and if that means some of the established club go to the wall, then that's just a shame, but these are the clubs that are bringing the game nothing apart from a bit of history.

The future has to have hope, not fear.

Good post, agree with pretty much all of it.

The one bit I'd change would be to keep the 3 points, I get why you want to change it but, for me at least, the 3 points (should) help drive teams to win a game. The squeezing teams together would hopefully be helped buy the fact that it's a bigger league ... Maybe!

GGTTH!

Carheenlea
07-03-2017, 09:03 AM
December 2014 IIRC I persuaded a few non- hibby mates to accompany me to the game at Cowbeneath when it poured right throughout the match. Dreadful day and it seemed we were miles away from the pitch. One of my mates, a Dee fan, left early in the second half and went to get a coffee and a bit of shelter. He searched for a coffee shop and eventually asked an old wifey. She replied "There's no coffe shops here. Didn't you know that this is s ghost town?" He eventually went to a bookie who gave free coffee if you put a minomum 50p bet on. I swore never to return to the god foresaken place.

Before the game that day I had a steak pie, chips and peas with a big mug of tea in a friendly cafe for about £4.00 on the Main Street. Im sure they sold coffee, but hopefully will never be back to confirm if that is the case or not. Went straight to see The Sleaford Mods in The Electric Circus on return to Edinburgh, and could feel the puddles forming at my feet some 3 hours or so after the game. Never been so wet.

The goalie
07-03-2017, 09:13 AM
Before the game that day I had a steak pie, chips and peas with a big mug of tea in a friendly cafe for about £4.00 on the Main Street. Im sure they sold coffee, but hopefully will never be back to confirm if that is the case or not. Went straight to see The Sleaford Mods in The Electric Circus on return to Edinburgh, and could feel the puddles forming at my feet some 3 hours or so after the game. Never been so wet.

Part of their prob is they do not get money from the stock cars anymore but infact pay around 10k a year to use the stadium. This has left them broke!
The owner of the stock cars Gordon McDougall had to split the club from the cars when he went to Livi.

worcesterhibby
07-03-2017, 09:24 AM
the interview with Dean Brett is one of the saddest things I've seen for a long time. He seems like a man who is really very lost, not the smartest tool in the box and the tragedy he has had in his life has meant he has filled a void with gambling, not because he wants to cheat for money, but because he just finds an escape in it. Every bet becomes a little bit of hope, once that hope is extinguished, he needs another bet so that he has more hope. He bet against Cowden when they played Rangers and then scored in the match. He wasn't trying to lose. what he did was wrong, but what he needs is help.

AndyM_1875
07-03-2017, 11:41 AM
As horrible as it may have been silver, put yourself in their shoes. A never ending spiral of decline culminating in being bottom of the professional set up in Scotland is bound to get people emotional and angry.

FWIW I respect Cowdenbeath and it's supporters because as others have said it would be easy enough to jump on the busses to Glasgow every week.

Again as others have said East Kilbride are an ambitious, seemingly well run club with a huge catchment and could possibly be a sleeping giant in Scottish football terms. Obviously there's a lot of competition but if they can get themselves in the league set up then they could progress quickly with the right backing.

I have a soft spot for Cowdenbeath but they'll play either East Kilbride or the resurgent East Stirling in the Play off. Brora from the Highland League aren't interested in going to League 2.
Anyone who has seen either of these clubs will know that Cowden will have no chance against either.
Hopefully they can regroup like East Stirling did.

lord bunberry
07-03-2017, 11:46 AM
To be fair it can't have been easy for Liam Fox to give this job the attention it deserved while also serving as Secretary of State for International Trade...
Don't forget he's also a doctor :greengrin

eastcoasthibby
07-03-2017, 04:41 PM
They train at Dalgety Bay leisure centre astro, I used to watch them training last season and early part of this one and couldn't believe how poor it was in quality of coaching, player ability and made me think that it wasn't as good as most junior /east of Scotland that I have experienced ...so no surprises for when I saw them on the slide last season and this....

Lancs Harp
07-03-2017, 04:48 PM
I have a soft spot for Cowdenbeath but they'll play either East Kilbride or the resurgent East Stirling in the Play off. Brora from the Highland League aren't interested in going to League 2.
Anyone who has seen either of these clubs will know that Cowden will have no chance against either.
Hopefully they can regroup like East Stirling did.

I think Cove or Buckie are more likely to emerge as the winners of the Highland League.

Overall think East Kilbride will replace the Blue Brazil next season though.

hibee_girl
10-03-2017, 11:29 AM
They've just appointed Gary Locke as their manager

Carheenlea
10-03-2017, 11:32 AM
They've just appointed Gary Locke as their manager

The end truly is nigh for them now.