PDA

View Full Version : What happened with Commons

houstonhibbee
28-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Maybe I missed it but why did the loan deal fall through? Was it his decision not to come in preference to not playing at all?

28-02-2017, 02:42 PM
He's on 15k a week at celtic, hibs could only stretch to 2k a week. A deal couldn't be struck.

houstonhibbee
28-02-2017, 02:45 PM
He's on 15k a week at celtic, hibs could only stretch to 2k a week. A deal couldn't be struck.
So Celtic were the stumbling block not the player.

Jim44
28-02-2017, 02:51 PM

I don't think we'll ever know the full details. I don't follow your logic as Celtic could have saved 2k by lending him to us. Some folk said he was injured but I suspect the bottom line was that he didn't want to come to us.

adhibs
28-02-2017, 02:53 PM
I don't think we'll ever know the full details. I don't follow your logic as Celtic could have saved 2k by lending him to us. Some folk said he was injured but I suspect the bottom line was that he didn't want to come to us.

Thats how i interpreted it. Away days at Dumbarton dont hold much appeal.

lucky
28-02-2017, 02:57 PM
It was Celtic, he wanted his contract paid up in full then he would consider offers but Lawell refused only offered a part payment and Hibs couldn't come up with rest

JDHibs
28-02-2017, 02:58 PM
Offer was on the table from us. Celtic were happy with the deal. Commons waited and waited for a better offer. It never came. He stayed put.

Salt N Sauzee
28-02-2017, 03:08 PM
Thats how i interpreted it. Away days at Dumbarton dont hold much appeal.

But sitting about in the background at Celtic held more appeal?

JimBHibees
28-02-2017, 03:09 PM
But sitting about in the background at Celtic held more appeal?

Financially yes.

Salt N Sauzee
28-02-2017, 03:12 PM
Financially yes.

If the information above is to be believed he wouldn't of been affected financially? The clubs would of paid different parts of his wages.

Jim44
28-02-2017, 03:14 PM
It was Celtic, he wanted his contract paid up in full then he would consider offers but Lawell refused only offered a part payment and Hibs couldn't come up with rest

A bit greedy on his part in my opinion if true. Full contract payment up front and then payment by us on top?

Offer was on the table from us. Celtic were happy with the deal. Commons waited and waited for a better offer. It never came. He stayed put.

More credible in my opinion.

JimBHibees
28-02-2017, 03:16 PM
If the information above is to be believed he wouldn't of been affected financially? The clubs would of paid different parts of his wages.

Wouldnt make any sense then if he was getting paid his full amount which seems to suggest he wasnt happy with some aspect of the deal. Maybe we could get him next season if his contract runs out and we are back in the top league.

J-C
28-02-2017, 03:16 PM
I think he wanted a clean break from Celtic and not a loan deal, hence why the money from Celtic wasn't enough, obviously happy to sit and get full wages for 5 months.

Jim44
28-02-2017, 03:42 PM
I think he wanted a clean break from Celtic and not a loan deal, hence why the money from Celtic wasn't enough, obviously happy to sit and get full wages for 5 months.

A bit short sighted. A loan deal with us, playing most matches, possible/probable League winning club, good platform for the last contract of his career. I think he lost out more than we did.

silverhibee
28-02-2017, 03:59 PM
Still injured.

houstonhibbee
28-02-2017, 04:00 PM
ok so from all these replies I think I have my answer. No one really knows why it didn't happen.

I suspect it was down to Commons and more fool him if it was. Surely playing for the mighty Hibees is better than being outcast. Just ask Liam.

hughio
28-02-2017, 04:15 PM
ok so from all these replies I think I have my answer. No one really knows why it didn't happen.

I suspect it was down to Commons and more fool him if it was. Surely playing for the mighty Hibees is better than being outcast. Just ask Liam.

It's hard for us ordinary folk to imagine what its like to get a chance to earn £15K a week for doing nowt.
I suspect a few of us might fancy that more than chucking it away and playing for £2K a week.

JimBHibees
28-02-2017, 04:16 PM
It's hard for us ordinary folk to imagine what its like to get a chance to earn £15K a week for doing nowt.
I suspect a few of us might fancy that more than chucking it away and playing for £2K a week.

Would imagine his wife might have had some part in the decision.

Jim44
28-02-2017, 04:28 PM
Still injured.

I've no reason to dispute this but when he left us I don't think he was carrying an injury and I doubt if he would have been doing much full-on training in the short time between leaving us and the transfer window. Maybe that's just my suspicious mind but if I remember correctly, LD or her spokesperson said that negotiations for Commons and Stokes went to the wire but failed in the end. Anyway, I don't want to harp on about Commons as I fully appreciate his contribution in the games he did play for us and good luck to the guy.

JimBHibees
28-02-2017, 04:30 PM
I've no reason to dispute this but when he left us I don't think he was carrying an injury and I doubt if he would have been doing much full-on training in the short time between leaving us and the transfer window. Maybe that's just my suspicious mind but if I remember correctly, LD or her spokesperson said that negotiations for Commons and Stokes went to the wire but failed in the end. Anyway, I don't want to harp on about Commons as I fully appreciate his contribution in the games he did play for us and good luck to the guy.

I am pretty sure I thought Leeann said on the Peter and Roughie show that they knew a few days before the end of the window that Commons wasnt going to happen. Stokes was the one that they were pushing for late on.

superfurryhibby
28-02-2017, 04:33 PM

Footballers think like professionals, fans see the game through the lens of fandom, there is a gulf between the twain and the chance to earn £300,000 over the next 5 months or take a lesser pay off and £ 2000 a week from Hibs would surely be a factor?

Pity, although not fit he had enough class to make an impact and could have played a big role in our glorious run in towards the end of the season.

jdships
28-02-2017, 04:38 PM
Albeit 2nd hand from East Mains - Money offered

silverhibee
28-02-2017, 04:51 PM

He picked the injury up after the window closed while training with Celtc, seemingly still not training yet. :aok:

Would have been great if we could have kept him, think the gap would be even more than 7 points, he helped us out big time.

houstonhibbee
28-02-2017, 05:00 PM
He wouldn't be chucking it away though. He would still be a celtic player on loan to Hibs. Don't understand your logic

Jim44
28-02-2017, 05:10 PM
He wouldn't be chucking it away though. He would still be a celtic player on loan to Hibs. Don't understand your logic

I said that earlier but someone suggested he just didn't want to go on another loan and wanted to sever ties with Celtic.

heidtheba
28-02-2017, 06:48 PM
Could it have been a situation where he was more likely to 'lose' than to 'gain'?
The Championship has such a perceived low status that doing great things here, with the top team, with the biggest budget, might not make him look amazing to other clubs, on the other hand, not being a stand-out would see him being perceived as past it. Could it have been a "If he couldn't do it in the Championship...in Scotland...why pay a fortune on his wages for?" type approach by other clubs...

mjhibby
28-02-2017, 06:57 PM

Don't think it's that cut and dried. He was carrying an injury but surely it's better to get competitive games under his belt before his contract is up. Could have played two games against Hertz and possibly a semi final. Just a strange decision.

houstonhibbee
28-02-2017, 09:06 PM
I find it hard to believe that with social media, Gregg's, the no 26 bus and all the people that claim to be in the know or have a half step brothers friends neighbors parrot that hasn't got anything from the horses mouth on this one to clear it up for once and for all.:confused:

Andy74
28-02-2017, 11:49 PM
Inclined to think he's injured. None of the money suggestions make sense as him staying there getting full pay and not playing is pretty much worst case outcome for all parties.

Centre Hawf
01-03-2017, 12:09 AM
If it's true that he wanted his entire contract paid up by Celtic to come to Hibs then I do not blame him for staying put if they refused. He's probably on mega money at Celtic by the standard of what we could offer him. Playing regularly or not I'm sure Commons will survive the next 4 months of his contract earning 15k a week or so in comparison to 2k.

connerg
01-03-2017, 12:35 AM
Ask yourself this, would you take a HUGE drop in wages? Playing in the Scottish First Division didn't appeal to me when we got relegated. Yes i did buy a season ticket and still do have one. Some deals go through some don't. Shoving it right up that Houston was worth every penny!!

Hibernia&Alba
01-03-2017, 01:07 AM
Whatever the reason, it's a shame it couldn't happen. In the few weeks Commons was with us, his class was apparent.

bigstu
01-03-2017, 01:37 AM
The points he helped win us could be what wins us the league in the end. He was the difference, a match winner. We've struggled to beat teams in the league since he left.

PiemanP
01-03-2017, 07:25 AM
Could it have been a situation where he was more likely to 'lose' than to 'gain'?
The Championship has such a perceived low status that doing great things here, with the top team, with the biggest budget, might not make him look amazing to other clubs, on the other hand, not being a stand-out would see him being perceived as past it. Could it have been a "If he couldn't do it in the Championship...in Scotland...why pay a fortune on his wages for?" type approach by other clubs...

That was my initial thoughts. It's a risk to Commons' reputation coming to Hibs, we probably don't see it that way but it is. And although he was good in his short spell, was he 20k a week or whatever good?

InchHibby
01-03-2017, 07:37 AM

Whoa there, not so fast, I know the reason why it didn't happen,

But I'm not saying.

ian cruise
01-03-2017, 08:07 AM
If we had signed Commons on loan in Jan then we wouldn't be able to have completed the Ambrose signing. Maybe it was a bit fortuitous in that respect but if it was cash that stopped it happening I'm glad the club stuck to their guns. After years of quick fixes and such we definitely seem to have a management team, from the top all the way down, who are ready to make the correct decisions for the overall benefit of the club, even if it means much gnashing of teeth from fans at the time.

Andy74
01-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Ask yourself this, would you take a HUGE drop in wages? Playing in the Scottish First Division didn't appeal to me when we got relegated. Yes i did buy a season ticket and still do have one. Some deals go through some don't. Shoving it right up that Houston was worth every penny!!

Why would he need to take a drop in wages for a loan? I've no idea where all this chat of him getting a pay off or whatever came from as none of it made any sense.

connerg
01-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Why would he need to take a drop in wages for a loan? I've no idea where all this chat of him getting a pay off or whatever came from as none of it made any sense.

Sorry, i thought we were talking about signing him.