PDA

View Full Version : Mark McGhee sacked

Andy74
28-02-2017, 10:30 AM
No real surprise

Hibernia&Alba
28-02-2017, 10:34 AM
No surprise at all; they're in freefall. Terrible manager who was still living in Brighton as Motherwell manager apparently. He couldn't have been any further away.

Billy Whizz
28-02-2017, 10:35 AM
Wonder who'll get this gig

Ozyhibby
28-02-2017, 10:37 AM
I think good for him as well. He looks like is is at the point of breakdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
28-02-2017, 10:38 AM
I think good for him as well. He looks like is is at the point of breakdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was kind of thinking that, his recent behaviour seemed a little extreme.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-02-2017, 10:42 AM

Billy Davies or Bootcher.

Hibernia&Alba
28-02-2017, 10:43 AM

Craigan perhaps?

oneone73
28-02-2017, 10:45 AM
Duffy, Aitken, Johnston and McCall are all doing decent jobs in our division. Possible candidates?

Forza Fred
28-02-2017, 10:47 AM
Duffy, Aitken, Johnston and McCall are all doing decent jobs in our division. Possible candidates?

Stubbsie?

Billy Whizz
28-02-2017, 10:51 AM

Aitken is an interesting name. He's done fantastic at Stranraer and Dumbarton

Sylar
28-02-2017, 11:22 AM
No surprise at all; they're in freefall. Terrible manager who was still living in Brighton as Motherwell manager apparently. He couldn't have been any further away.

Afraid that's just not true. He may well still have property down there, that I don't know, but he lives in Glasgow at present.

Either way, Motherwell needed to do something, but I fear getting rid of McGhee is all too easy an answer.

G B Young
28-02-2017, 11:27 AM
It's notable that the mini surge of optimism among Hearts fans under Cathro came on the back of those wins over The Rangers and Motherwell, two clubs which were on the cusp of freefall on and off the pitch.

McGhee seems to have had short-lived spells of success throughout his managerial career but seems utterly unable to turn things around when his clubs hit a bad patch. He certainly doesn't inspire as Strachan's assistant with the national team, although neither does Strachan (another manager who seems incapable of stemming a team's loss of form).

Bostonhibby
28-02-2017, 11:29 AM
Have motherwell got broadband? Cathro could be the man to continue their downward spiral.

Hibernia&Alba
28-02-2017, 11:36 AM
Afraid that's just not true. He may well still have property down there, that I don't know, but he lives in Glasgow at present.

Either way, Motherwell needed to do something, but I fear getting rid of McGhee is all too easy an answer.

Fair enough, it was said by a Motherwell fan on their forum. Might be an urban myth that grew wings.

Poor Muttley, put doon in deepest Lanarkshire.

silverhibee
28-02-2017, 11:38 AM

The family home is in Brighton, when he was manager at Bristol Rovers he done the same, would leave straight after game on Saturday and head back to the seaside and appear back on the Tuesday for training.

J-C
28-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Another overrated manger who somehow seems to to get jobs while being a poor manager.

Hibernia&Alba
28-02-2017, 11:45 AM
The family home is in Brighton, when he was manager at Bristol Rovers he done the same, would leave straight after game on Saturday and head back to the seaside and appear back on the Tuesday for training.

Hell of a journey and rigmarole if true.

Brightside
28-02-2017, 11:48 AM
Has he been sacked from his SFA role yet?

Rugy07
28-02-2017, 11:51 AM
It's notable that the mini surge of optimism among Hearts fans under Cathro came on the back of those wins over The Rangers and Motherwell, two clubs which were on the cusp of freefall on and off the pitch. .

I was just thinking that Hearts also beat Raith (albeit on ET pens) and they then sacked the manager shortly after. Have Cathro's Hearts beaten anyone that hasn't subsequently been so embarrassed that they have sacked the manager? :wink:

Sylar
28-02-2017, 12:00 PM
Fair enough, it was said by a Motherwell fan on their forum. Might be an urban myth that grew wings.

I can't definitively say he doesn't maintain that practice during his time at Motherwell, but he definitely has a property in Glasgow up on Park Terrace and I see him pretty regularly in Stravaigin midweek.

J-C
28-02-2017, 12:10 PM
I can't definitively say he doesn't maintain that practice during his time at Motherwell, but he definitely has a property in Glasgow up on Park Terrace and I see him pretty regularly in Stravaigin midweek.

Maybe done what Calderwood did when he was here, lived in a property midweek and went south for the family at the weekends, one of Calderwoods problem was not committing fully to the job, that and being a crap manager.

Diclonius
28-02-2017, 12:11 PM
I was just thinking that Hearts also beat Raith (albeit on ET pens) and they then sacked the manager shortly after. Have Cathro's Hearts beaten anyone that hasn't subsequently been so embarrassed that they have sacked the manager?

The only other team they've beaten is Kilmarnock, whose manager left shortly after.

Lago
28-02-2017, 12:32 PM
Billy Davies or Bootcher.

Where is Jimmy Calderwood when you need him.

pacoluna
28-02-2017, 12:37 PM
Maybe done what Calderwood did when he was here, lived in a property midweek and went south for the family at the weekends, one of Calderwoods problem was not committing fully to the job, that and being a crap manager.
Isn't that what Stubbs done?

J-C
28-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Isn't that what Stubbs done?

Sometimes, his family came up a lot and he only went down after the game but was back 1st thing monday, Calderwood would be down south until tues/wed and left Evans in charge till he got back.

Hiber-nation
28-02-2017, 12:51 PM
Where is Jimmy Calderwood when you need him.

Queens Park of all places. Never actually knew till last week.

Springbank
28-02-2017, 01:06 PM
Malky Mackay?
Looking to complete his rehabilitation

eastmainsmsh
28-02-2017, 03:05 PM
Steve Robinson

28-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Was kind of thinking that, his recent behaviour seemed a little extreme.

His interview the week following that incident where he lost it and got sent to the stand came across as very arrogant. No apology to the fans or regret over his actions.

emerald green
28-02-2017, 03:48 PM
How many times is that McGhee has had the heave-ho?

I thought he was going to go fighting with Aberdeen fans in the stand the other week. One of his former clubs too.

bigwheel
28-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Almost 900 games as a manager McGhee - so tbh a pretty deep set of experiences - 3 league wins as well with Reading, Wolves and Milwall if I'm not mistaken - has a better record than many .....

JimBHibees
28-02-2017, 04:18 PM
Almost 900 games as a manager McGhee - so tbh a pretty deep set of experiences - 3 league wins as well with Reading, Wolves and Milwall if I'm not mistaken - has a better record than many .....

Was it McGhee who moved to one team then about a month later left and joined their rivals. Thinking Wolves, Leicester, sure there was a move which you thought what is that about.

bigwheel
28-02-2017, 04:20 PM
Was it McGhee who moved to one team then about a month later left and joined their rivals. Thinking Wolves, Leicester, sure there was a move which you thought what is that about.

Yes. Can't recall which move but he did make a move very soon after joining a club - he has since said he regrets his actions...it felt very ill-judged at the time ...

McLeish did something quite similar did he not - was it Birmingham to rivals Villa ?

JimBHibees
28-02-2017, 04:33 PM
Yes. Can't recall which move but he did make a move very soon after joining a club - he has since said he regrets his actions...it felt very ill-judged at the time ...

McLeish did something quite similar did he not - was it Birmingham to rivals Villa ?

It was Leicester he joined took them down then left for Wolves less than 12 months later.

stantonhibby
28-02-2017, 04:35 PM

He almost went to Hearts when Romanov was there didn't he?

JackLadd
28-02-2017, 04:45 PM
A bit harsh in my opinion, all those bottom six sides are much of a muchness and none issued the two recent drubbings and they're still above two of them.

Yogi should have held fire on Raith as he would have been the guy I'd have appointed if them.

Billy Whizz
28-02-2017, 06:42 PM
He almost went to Hearts when Romanov was there didn't he?

Sure did, decided not to board a plane to Edinburgh at the last minute

Hibby Bairn
28-02-2017, 06:47 PM
Queens Park of all places. Never actually knew till last week.

I think that's Gus McPherson.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-02-2017, 08:51 PM

Don't think the was viewed too fondly by the Well fans and that comes from one of them...

Moulin Yarns
01-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Don't think the was viewed too fondly by the Well fans and that comes from one of them...

Yep, I got the same from one I work beside.