PDA

View Full Version : Brian Maclean

Babyshamble
27-02-2017, 11:47 PM
Is signing 2moro according to journos on twiiter

SteveHFC
27-02-2017, 11:49 PM
So MacLean and Ambrose joining. Not bad.

Sir David Gray
27-02-2017, 11:50 PM
I've just noticed that he's the brother of the referee, Steven McLean.

Andy74
27-02-2017, 11:55 PM
So MacLean and Ambrose joining. Not bad.

Yep, would be very decent. McLean can cover at right back too.

Lancs Harp
27-02-2017, 11:55 PM
Did he play fr Preston? Or was that another Maclean? Was a while ago.

Andy74
28-02-2017, 12:00 AM
Did he play fr Preston? Or was that another Maclean? Was a while ago.

Yes he did.

1van Sprou7e
28-02-2017, 12:07 AM
Wonder if we'll have 2 new CBs starting in the quarter final

Though Lenny would opt for some sort of 3 man defence with Gray and possibly Stevenson playing at centre half

fat freddy
28-02-2017, 12:09 AM
Just checked his Wikipedia profile, Motherwell, Dundee Utd, Ross County amongst some of his clubs. One cap for Northern Ireland for whom he wasn't eligible which ended his international career. And it's his birthday today! What a present, signing for Hibs!

silverhibee
28-02-2017, 12:31 AM
Yep, would be very decent. McLean can cover at right back too.

Two good additions, but does this mean our injury problems at the back are worse than we think and players that are injured may be out for longer than just a couple of weeks.

Thecat23
28-02-2017, 12:37 AM
Two good additions, but does this mean our injury problems at the back are worse than we think and players that are injured may be out for longer than just a couple of weeks.

In a word yes! That's exactly how I'm seeing it Silver.

The_Exile
28-02-2017, 12:44 AM
I've just noticed that he's the brother of the referee, Steven McLean.

I wonder if that means Steven can't ref any Hibs games while his brother is a Hibs player? Does Craig Thomson have any brothers that could play centre half? :greengrin

snooky
28-02-2017, 12:49 AM
I wonder if that means Steven can't ref any Hibs games while his brother is a Hibs player? Does Craig Thomson have any brothers that could play centre half? :greengrin

CT already plays for the Jams. Don't know about any brothers.

GreenLake
28-02-2017, 01:11 AM

I would quickly sign John Beaton's sister if he doesn't have a brother.

silverhibee
28-02-2017, 01:19 AM
In a word yes! That's exactly how I'm seeing it Silver.

Would seem like it.

Fonts worse than thought i presume.

brog
28-02-2017, 09:53 AM
Would seem like it.

Fonts worse than thought i presume.

I think Fonts will be short term but I believe Darren would also benefit from a rest so makes sense to have more cover.

H18 SFR
28-02-2017, 10:25 AM
I think Fonts will be short term but I believe Darren would also benefit from a rest so makes sense to have more cover.

Benefit from a rest? Do you feel his performance level has dropped?

Borderhibbie76
28-02-2017, 10:27 AM
Yes he was as ropey as the rest of the back 4 on Sat...a rest would do him no harm mate

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
28-02-2017, 10:28 AM

He will get a rest on Saturday of course.

brog
28-02-2017, 11:00 AM

I believe he's been carrying a few niggling knocks/injuries for a while & certainly on Sat I felt he fell below his usual high standards.

scoopyboy
28-02-2017, 11:20 AM
I believe he's been carrying a few niggling knocks/injuries for a while & certainly on Sat I felt he fell below his usual high standards.

correct

Billy Whizz
28-02-2017, 11:55 AM
Think Yogi tried to sign him a few years ago

Spike Mandela
28-02-2017, 12:00 PM
When was the last time any of these two players played a competitive game? Bit of a risk slotting them straight in to critical games, no?

Forza Fred
28-02-2017, 12:03 PM
Again, there must be questions about his match fitness.

The pretty poor Singapore S League runs from February to October and has just kicked off this season and has had one round played.

Presumably he didn't get a contract this season and if that is the case it is likely he hasn't kicked a ball in anger for a few months.

TheReg!
28-02-2017, 12:04 PM
When was the last time any of these two players played a competitive game? Bit of a risk slotting them straight in to critical games, no?
Other options are thin on the ground mate, if big Effe does sign then I'd have play him along side DMac, come Saturday then hopefully Liam F is back in action otherwise we'll have to play em both

Forza Fred
28-02-2017, 12:05 PM

My worry exactly!

Borderhibbie76
28-02-2017, 12:12 PM
Would u rather we played a left back or midfielder at centre half??? Look how that worked out for us on Sat??

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

CraigHibee
28-02-2017, 01:32 PM
signed subject to international clearance

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/hibs-to-sign-defender-brian-mclean-on-short-term-deal-1-4378732

silverhibee
28-02-2017, 01:47 PM

Commons done okay when he came in.

Centre Hawf
28-02-2017, 01:51 PM
Don't know anything about him tbh. But the way I see it is Ambrose will most likely be close or as close to match fitness you can get without having played many games and can come into the team now allowing Maclean to train and build up perhaps for when Ambroses loan finishes in a few weeks time. That would suggest Paul and Fonts may have longer to recover than we first feared. People saying Forster is back in training soon if not already so hopefully he wont be far off but who knows with muscle strains.

Greenworld
28-02-2017, 02:03 PM
No time for rests for Darren he is the rock at the back.
Crucial we play our strongest side possible from here on in he will get a rest on Saturday is he not out of that game.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

lucky
28-02-2017, 02:10 PM
I thought Daz was below par in the last two games and thought it must be down to illness or injury. Maybe a wee rest will do him the world off good as he's been exceptional this season

Onceinawhile
28-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Don't know anything about him tbh. But the way I see it is Ambrose will most likely be close or as close to match fitness you can get without having played many games and can come into the team now allowing Maclean to train and build up perhaps for when Ambroses loan finishes in a few weeks time. That would suggest Paul and Fonts may have longer to recover than we first feared. People saying Forster is back in training soon if not already so hopefully he wont be far off but who knows with muscle strains.

Ambrose is here for 93 days .

--------
28-02-2017, 02:22 PM

Maclean is in the squad for tomorrow evening, according to the Scotsman. Ambrose is here for the next three months, which takes us through to the beginning of June, so we have two centre-backs signed for the rest of the season which will allow Hanlon and Fontaine to get fit for next season without pressure - no temptation to rush them back into the team.

I can't see Ambrose signing a longer deal, but if Maclean does well, he might very well be an option for next season?

Sensible and timely bit of business, in my opinion, especially as Macgregor has to sut out the quarter-final, I think?

Rugy07
28-02-2017, 02:25 PM
No time for rests for Darren he is the rock at the back.
Crucial we play our strongest side possible from here on in he will get a rest on Saturday is he not out of that game.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It says in the Scotsman that Darren is suspended for the cup game anyway. He was booked in both Hearts games iirc so it would make sense.

Oscar T Grouch
28-02-2017, 02:36 PM

MacLean would have played DPMM's last game in October last year, their season plays from Feb-Oct each year. I would assume he has been training with someone in the meantime. Ambrose last played for Celtic against Astana in the Champions League. Both been a while without a game but Commons was in the same boat and he was fine.

fulshie
28-02-2017, 02:48 PM
It is a worry granted but, do we have any other choice. I think credit to the club has to be given for the quick response to our centre half disaster if / when they are definite signings.

emerald green
28-02-2017, 03:24 PM

And if they don't play, who plays instead? Hibs are in a jam as far as injuries are concerned, and other than playing lads from the development squad I'm not sure what else Lennon / the club can realistically do.

Don't forget that as well as Hanlon, Fontaine and Forster, Hibs also have McGeouch, Humphrey, Handling and Harris all out injured too. None of the latter four have hardly kicked a ball all season either.

A Hi-Bee
28-02-2017, 07:03 PM
And if they don't play, who plays instead? Hibs are in a jam as far as injuries are concerned, and other than playing lads from the development squad I'm not sure what else Lennon / the club can realistically do.

Don't forget that as well as Hanlon, Fontaine and Forster, Hibs also have McGeouch, Humphrey, Handling and Harris all out injured too. None of the latter four have hardly kicked a ball all season either.

A new temporary defence of Rocky, Gray, Ambrose, MacLean and Stevenson makes for a reasonable new defence under the present circumstances, welcome to both players and well done Hibs.

lucky
28-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Not sure how good MacLean is or was but Ambrose should stroll this league. He's also shown a good appetite to play football by dropping down a league. Clearly he's not he long term due to the cash involved. But he is a great signing as Mowbray was keen to take him to Blackburn and Lennon rates him so surely two managers can't be that wrong about him.

Centre Hawf
28-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Maclean is in the squad for tomorrow evening, according to the Scotsman. Ambrose is here for the next three months, which takes us through to the beginning of June, so we have two centre-backs signed for the rest of the season which will allow Hanlon and Fontaine to get fit for next season without pressure - no temptation to rush them back into the team.

I can't see Ambrose signing a longer deal, but if Maclean does well, he might very well be an option for next season?

Sensible and timely bit of business, in my opinion, especially as Macgregor has to sut out the quarter-final, I think? Excellent, I just assumed Ambroses deal would be like Commons which was a month or so if I recall?

Good business from Hibs imo.

Lancs Harp
28-02-2017, 08:55 PM
I think Ambrose will prove to be a great deal considering the current injury crisis especially at the back. I mean who were peopple expecting us to sign to try and plug the gaps? Sure he's had a few howlers but hes consistently played at a higher level both domestically, in Europe and internationally. Im sure he can handle the Scottish Championship.

Hopefully the injuries will clear up and stay cleared up. I see Maclean more as cover, we'll still need central defender cover on the bench even down to the bare bones. I would imagine it will take him a week or two to get up to the speed seeing as he hasnt been involved anywhere for a few months to my knowledge.

Considering the injuries I'd say the picture looks a lot brighter today than it did 48 hours ago.

Welcome to Easter Road fellas, home of the Scottish cup Champions.

LancsHibs
28-02-2017, 08:57 PM
Not sure how good MacLean is or was but Ambrose should stroll this league. He's also show a good appetite to play football by dropping down a league. Clearly he's not he long term due to the cash involved. But he is a great signing as Mowbray was keen to take him to Blackburn and Lennon rates him so surely two managers can't be that wrong about him.

Coyle wanted him at Blackburn

GreenNWhiteArmy
28-02-2017, 08:58 PM
Excellent work by NL to identify we needed not one but 2 centre backs to cover us till the end of the season.

Don't know much about McLean or when he last played. As for Efe, he must have some level of sharpness if Blackburn were prepared to take a punt on him whilst their in a relegation battle. Hopefully it's just the 1 game where we need both signings playing but I'd be more than comfortable with a CB pairing of McGregor and Ambrose till the end of the season

gordonced18
28-02-2017, 11:18 PM
No doubt there will be a few suspensions imminent so makes sense to have some cover....If the guys in front of the back 4/3 do their job then Effe and McLean shouldn't have to break sweat!!!

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
01-03-2017, 01:30 AM
Has Brian McLean been training with Hibs at all prior to signing?

RoscoHibby
01-03-2017, 09:51 AM
Has he actually signed yet?

monarch
01-03-2017, 10:23 AM
The last Seven days has certainly strengthened the bond between Lennon and the supporters . Can now consider him one of us.
For too long we put up with c**p, especially from the PBS (Romanov, Anderton, Foulkes etc) without reply. Also felt we should have taken a stronger stance after fallout from the Cup Final.

Lennon won't put up with it, that's why he 's a winner.

Hibbyradge
01-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Has he actually signed yet?

Waiting for international clearance.

Billy Whizz
01-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Waiting for international clearance.

Would be surprised if we started with both Ambrose and MacLean tonight

JimBHibees
01-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Would be surprised if we started with both Ambrose and MacLean tonight

Assume Darren and Efe will start.

lyonhibs
01-03-2017, 03:09 PM
He had a very decent game against us in the LC Final IIRC. Ambrose I'm less enthralled about. Always seemed to have a howler or 2 in his locker at Celtc.

Let's see though.