PDA

View Full Version : Alex Young 'The Golden Vision'

truehibernian
27-02-2017, 02:50 PM
It's with great sadness I'm hearing Alex Young has passed away. My first proper football coach and a quite wonderful man to be around. Learned everything about football from him. My thoughts to all the family, especially Jason. Your old man was a true Hearts and Everton legend and will be very sadly missed.

JimBHibees
27-02-2017, 02:52 PM
It's with great sadness I'm hearing Alex Young has passed away. My first proper football coach and a quite wonderful man to be around. Learned everything about football from him. My thoughts to all the family, especially Jason. Your old man was a true Hearts and Everton legend and will be very sadly missed.

Sad to hear. RIP.

flash
27-02-2017, 02:55 PM
One of the guys my dad always went on about. A legend at both Hearts and Everton.

jgl07
27-02-2017, 02:58 PM
I remember him playing in a very fine Everton team in the mid-1960s.

brog
27-02-2017, 03:01 PM
Superb player but only awarded 8 caps for Scotland over 6 years. Meanwhile as usual play a few games for the OF & a cap is guaranteed. Young had almost mythical status at Goodison.

esjorto
27-02-2017, 03:02 PM
One of the guys my dad always went on about. A legend at both Hearts and Everton.
Great player and real gent.
RIP Alex.

jdships
27-02-2017, 03:58 PM
How he only ever got 8 " Caps" is unbelievable
A " silky" player and a fine man
" A Legend" at Goodison - well earned
RIP

ancient hibee
27-02-2017, 04:25 PM
A player who really deserves to be called great and a very nice guy as well.

snooky
27-02-2017, 05:03 PM
A player with a touch of class and a true Hearts legend.
RIP.

SuperAllyMcleod
27-02-2017, 05:18 PM
I never saw him play but my dad was always impressed by him.

I'm sure his lad (Jason) scored against us for Stranraer when they beat us at ER in 98.

Lago
27-02-2017, 05:28 PM
A terrific player, absolutely quality.

Jim44
27-02-2017, 06:23 PM
As a pre-teenager I remember Alex Young as a great player in a very good Hearts team that my uncle used to drag me along to Tynie to 'support' as my Hibby dad worked at sea and didn't get to Easter Road very often. He soon put a stop to my Tynie visits when he came ashore but I reckon that Young must have been a great player to have left such a lasting impression on a youngster.

schinkenotto
27-02-2017, 06:50 PM
A wonderful player to watch and the only reason I ever went to Tynecastle,when I couldn't go to Hibs away games.

A delightful man,who coached my son at a Ian St Joh's Soccer School two years running and my son said he was a great person o work with.

RIP.

heretoday
28-02-2017, 10:17 AM
He played in the Everton team who won the cup in 66. Alex Scott was on the right wing.

donald_paterson
28-02-2017, 11:31 AM
I never saw him play but my dad was always impressed by him.

I'm sure his lad (Jason) scored against us for Stranraer when they beat us at ER in 98.

Alex Young was a true great. I had just started to go follow the Hibees seriously towards the end of his spell with Hearts.

Think it might have been Gordon Young that scored against us for Stranraer.

JimBHibees
28-02-2017, 11:53 AM
Alex Young was a true great. I had just started to go follow the Hibees seriously towards the end of his spell with Hearts.

Pretty sure it was his son who scored for Stranraer.

scoopyboy
28-02-2017, 11:55 AM

Stranraer scored two. Jason Young played and I thought he scored.

--------
28-02-2017, 02:10 PM
He played in the Everton team who won the cup in 66. Alex Scott was on the right wing.

Two very fine players and real gentlemen.

Alex Scott died in 2001 in his sixties. Sorry to hear of the demise of his old team-mate.

James70
28-02-2017, 02:27 PM
Sorry to hear this sad news. I may be wrong but I seem to remember him having a hotel in West Linton way back in the 70s.

Mr Green Genes
28-02-2017, 02:43 PM
Sad news indeed.
The first senior league match I ever attended was Chelsea v Everton at Stamford Bridge in 1966 - the 'Golden Vision' scored the equaliser in a 1-1 draw and strolled the game.
A class Scottish player.

hibbymark
28-02-2017, 03:16 PM
Stranraer scored two. Jason Young played and I thought he scored.
Jason definitely scored. I had a pint with him that night and he wasn't shy telling me all about the strike which I had seen at the game. Remember he also told me one of the lads who played that day for Stranraer had played for his school that morning and was introduced to the players on the bus !