PDA

View Full Version : Next Three Games

Dashing Bob S
26-02-2017, 04:31 PM
It's a tough few days ahead, and probably a defining period in our season. We have a home cup tie v Ayr sandwiched between two more significant (in my view) away fixtures to St Mirren and Dundee United.

Our opponents are running out of games to stop us winning the flag, but there are a lot of ifs and buts about defensive pairings for those games. They will see this as their big chance to peg us back into the pack.

It would be great to win all those fixtures, but I'd settle for still being seven points ahead and in a cup semi at the conclusion of them.

Heisenberg
26-02-2017, 04:33 PM
Don't care about Ayr. Two wins in the league is a must.

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2017, 04:41 PM
If we win both league games we'd be 13 clear of united wouldn't we? That'll do for me.

Gmack7
26-02-2017, 04:42 PM
Beat St mirren, beat Ayr, draw at Tannadice =job done

Ronniekirk
26-02-2017, 04:48 PM
I knew we would run out of steam v Dunfermline that was to be expected and under the circumstances that could prove to be a valuable point given if it werent for Rocky we wouldnt of got any
St Mirren are now three unbeaten and maybe thier new players have now settled so this is. More difficult fixture than it would of been a few weeks back They simply must build on thier win v Ayr and if we hve yet another make shift defence they will go for it imo So trickyone to call till we see Team
We seem to get purselves up for games in te Scottish Cup but Ayr have nothing to fear and will have belief based on thier last twoperformances at Eastwr Road Could we seriously play them three times at home in one Season and not beat them ?
United were undone by Humphrey and if thats his sole controbution it has been significant as they havent really recovered from that defeat imo
So i will settle for stll being in the Cup and still ahead in league and unbeaten in those three games but draws ate becoming a habit in league and it would be nice to get back to winning ways

Sir David Gray
26-02-2017, 04:51 PM
In the grand scheme of things the Ayr match isn't a big match.

Yes it would be great to get to a semi final and it would be crap losing to Ayr Utd but I said before we played Hearts that I wasn't bothered about winning the cup again this year, I just didn't want our defence of the cup ended against them and I stand by that.

The game on Wednesday is massive to stop the mini-rot that's set in over the last few weeks in the league and 3 points is a must.

Dashing Bob S
26-02-2017, 05:06 PM
St Mirren on Wednesday is the biggest of three, I think. Losing that one would surely fire up United at Tannadice to go all out, particularly if we also struggle against Ayr. A win against St Mirren and a cup semi place would really set us up for that game.

JimboHibs
26-02-2017, 05:36 PM

See when u say it's a must ?? We are never gonna win the league it's a non competition and for that if I was offered the Scottish Cup over promotion (all hypothetical) I'd take the Scottish Cup everytime.

Steve20
26-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Draw at St Mirren
Comfortably beat Ayr
Lose at Dundee Utd

EH54
26-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Even after Saturday I'm still confident we will win the next 3 games our record on the road is far better than at home and can't see us slipping out to Ayr

Lago
26-02-2017, 05:59 PM
See when u say it's a must ?? We are never gonna win the league it's a non competition and for that if I was offered the Scottish Cup over promotion (all hypothetical) I'd take the Scottish Cup everytime.
What a peculiar thought process.

Heisenberg
26-02-2017, 06:03 PM

Not a chance. We won the cup last season after failing miserably in this league. We need to get promoted. We don't need another Scottish cup (although it would be lovely).

Fifehibby74
26-02-2017, 06:17 PM
Four points from next 2 league games is a must - cup is a bonus. Can see us getting beat on Wednesday then beating United at tannadice (it's the hibs way 😁)

JimboHibs
26-02-2017, 06:24 PM
What a peculiar thought process.

Peculiar in what way ?Id take cup wins every time,that's as good as it gets under the current set up in the premier unfortunately.

number9dream
26-02-2017, 06:31 PM
If the team were mentally and physically drained after Wednesday, then it's going to be an issue again in Paisley and we don't have the luxury of making changes with so many injuries.
St Mirren will be fired up after their good win at Ayr and they desperately need points, so it's going to be another very tough night.
I'd maybe give Keatings a run up top with Cummings. He got a hat-trick there last season. Hopefully, Fontaine can recover quickly if he has the frozen peas on whatever part of him is hurt.

Go again against Ayr, surely we are due a win at home against them?

Dundee United are going to be fresh - they don't play again until we go there. Again, fatigue is going to be an issue.

Time to dig deep...

pacoluna
26-02-2017, 06:54 PM

Rite ok you don't care about QF of Scottish cup? said it 100 times and I will say it again, why is it a choice? Just because last year's cup run was an excuse for not getting promoted shouldn't deter the supporters from wanting both this time around, there is a severe lack of ambition with some posters on this and yous pounce on ever negative thread that pops up.

Waxy
26-02-2017, 06:55 PM
All three. We're gonna win all three, we're gonna win all three, we're gonna win all three.........

B.H.F.C
26-02-2017, 07:23 PM
We need to get rid of this talk about fatigue and tiredness.

We've only played one midweek match over the last few months, the fixture list is nothing like it was last year for us.

We need to win on Wednesday and then we should be more than ready to go against Ayr who aren't even full time. We've then got 6 days until our next game which is plenty time to recover and 8 days until we play again after that, against another part time team.

We've kept other teams in with a chance by dropping stupid points like last night. Time to get back winning again this week, no excuses.

Heisenberg
26-02-2017, 07:27 PM
Rite ok you don't care about QF of Scottish cup? said it 100 times and I will say it again, why is it a choice? Just because last year's cup run was an excuse for not getting promoted shouldn't deter the supporters from wanting both this time around, there is a severe lack of ambition with some posters on this and yous pounce on ever negative thread that pops up.

I don't pounce on anything. This is a thread asking opinions on the next three games. That is my opinion. It would be nice to progress in the cup but I'm not overly bothered either way. The league is where it's at. The players have clearly been too concentrated on Hearts in our last few league outings as an example.

houstonhibbee
26-02-2017, 07:33 PM
we never do things the easy way so I'll go for

1-1 away to St Mirren.

3-3 v Ayr with a replay

2-0 win at tannadiche

Big L
26-02-2017, 07:34 PM
It was a tremendous effort agains the yams and I think it showed on Sat, and they had only 2 days rest. I thought a few of them were blowing out their ass. Maybe a couple of days off before we go again will help.

pacoluna
26-02-2017, 08:15 PM
I don't pounce on anything. This is a thread asking opinions on the next three games. That is my opinion. It would be nice to progress in the cup but I'm not overly bothered either way. The league is where it's at. The players have clearly been too concentrated on Hearts in our last few league outings as an example.
I don't believe for a minute you won't be bothered if we get
beat from Ayr.

Itsnoteasy
26-02-2017, 08:18 PM
It's a tough few days ahead, and probably a defining period in our season. We have a home cup tie v Ayr sandwiched between two more significant (in my view) away fixtures to St Mirren and Dundee United.

Our opponents are running out of games to stop us winning the flag, but there are a lot of ifs and buts about defensive pairings for those games. They will see this as their big chance to peg us back into the pack.

It would be great to win all those fixtures, but I'd settle for still being seven points ahead and in a cup semi at the conclusion of them.

Been a wee while since a next 3 games thread, surely not starting to worry. FFS its SM, AU & DU.

Itsnoteasy
26-02-2017, 08:21 PM
We need to get rid of this talk about fatigue and tiredness.

We've only played one midweek match over the last few months, the fixture list is nothing like it was last year for us.

We need to win on Wednesday and then we should be more than ready to go against Ayr who aren't even full time. We've then got 6 days until our next game which is plenty time to recover and 8 days until we play again after that, against another part time team.

We've kept other teams in with a chance by dropping stupid points like last night. Time to get back winning again this week, no excuses.

At last. Someone singing from the same hymns sheet as me.

northstandhibby
26-02-2017, 08:24 PM
beat from Ayr.

The Ayr game is financially massive for us as the semi finals will probably be worth around half a million each if as expected Celtic Aberdeen Sevco get through.

They're all very important matches.

glory glory

thebakerboy
26-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Sorry joined May 2016 , think the second letter in his name should be a , funny smell there Admins!!!!!

26-02-2017, 09:35 PM
In the grand scheme of things the Ayr match isn't a big match.

Yes it would be great to get to a semi final and it would be crap losing to Ayr Utd but I said before we played Hearts that I wasn't bothered about winning the cup again this year, I just didn't want our defence of the cup ended against them and I stand by that.

The game on Wednesday is massive to stop the mini-rot that's set in over the last few weeks in the league and 3 points is a must.

Totally agree. Getting to hampden again would be a bonus but the focus absolutely must be the league.

Liberal Hibby
26-02-2017, 09:44 PM
We need to win on Wednesday and then we should be more than ready to go against Ayr who aren't even full time.

Is that true - I thought Dumbarton were the only part time team in the division?

Heisenberg
26-02-2017, 09:45 PM
beat from Ayr.

You believe what you like. I hope we win obviously. Should we fail to progress? I wouldn't be bothered. Fail to beat St Mirren and United? I would most certainly be bothered about that. Last season it was a close call, this year the league takes all priority.

Jim44
26-02-2017, 09:48 PM

Wow!!!!!

Waxy
26-02-2017, 10:44 PM
I'd actually take a win against St Mirren, a win against Ayr and a Draw against utd.

Dashing Bob S
26-02-2017, 11:19 PM
I'd actually take a win against St Mirren, a win against Ayr and a Draw against utd.

If we had that sequence of results we'd probably win the flag and have an outside shot at the cup. Most people would take that.

Liberal Hibby
26-02-2017, 11:30 PM
If we had that sequence of results we'd probably win the flag and have an outside shot at the cup. Most people would take that.

To be honest two league draws and a cup win probably does that too. We'd be eight clear with United having ten to play.

houstonhibbee
27-02-2017, 12:16 AM
To be honest two league draws and a cup win probably does that too. We'd be eight clear with United having ten to play.
5 consecutive draws in the league will have this place in meltdown

NAE NOOKIE
27-02-2017, 01:37 AM

Finish in the top 4 in the premiership and you will likely qualify for Europe .... finish in the top 4 in the championship it had better be in first place because only that guarantees you a chance to play for a place in Europe in the following season / seasons, unless you are planning on winning the Scottish cup every season during this extended stay in the 2nd tier you don't seem to be bothered about. Believe it or not they still let you enter the Scottish and League cups as well if you are in the premiership ...... brilliant eh?

That aside, if you seriously think the seasons that follow staying down this season will be anything like this one even if we were to retain the cup then you must be mental .... anybody who sticks by Hibs will be watching them as part of crowds of 7 to 8 thousand and that will be a team minus McGinn, Cummings, Fyvie and whoever else we can get a few bob for or who decides to jump ship.
You will be watching Hibs play the same park the bus teams full of cloggers and time wasters as you have the last 3 seasons, but with players even less likely to get us promoted than the current squad ...... not to mention absolutely no chance in the cup you think is so much more valuable than a place in the top league.

So if its a choice between retaining the Scottish cup and the above scenario or getting promoted with games against Celtic, Sevco, Aberdeen, Hertz and Dundee in front of 16, 17, 18, 19, 20,000 crowds as a result of boosted season ticket sales and huge away supports, plus the signing of one or two quality players then I'll take promotion every time and I cant believe any Hibs fan who has suffered the trials of the last 3 seasons wouldn't either.

If this is a 'choice' then its a choice between watching Hibs enter a situation it will take us years to recover from, or watching the club rake in the cash from bigger crowds, better TV money, better sponsorship deals and playing teams who actually come to play football for the most part .... against a Hibs team with an even better squad than we have now.

There is no choice ..... the cup is a free hit we can all enjoy .... but all that matters is the league, the league, the league end of story.

NAE NOOKIE
27-02-2017, 01:54 AM
If we can get a win at St Mirren it will be our most significant result of the season IMO ....... it will pave the way for a go at the cup tie against Ayr with the players knowing they can just go for it with the pressure off to an extent. That will take us into the game with Dundee Utd knowing that a draw will be a good result, which if we manage that will make our chances of winning the league 70/30 instead of 50/50.

Don't get me wrong ... I would love to get back to the cup final for the fun of it and from a financial perspective the 1/4 of the pooled gate and TV money we would get from two semi finals containing Hibs, Aberdeen, Celtic and Sevco ( if that was the line up ) would be significant even if we didn't make the final .... from that point of view Ayr Utd is a very important game.

But compared to the next two league games it is insignificant ........ no amount of cup semis or cup finals will compensate financially for the loss of revenue from plummeting ST sales, walk ups and the reduction in other income streams that would be the result of failure in the league.

I know I'm repeating myself from my last post on this ...... but I don't think it can be stressed enough how important going up this season is.

houstonhibbee
27-02-2017, 02:02 AM
If we can get a win at St Mirren it will be our most significant result of the season IMO ....... it will pave the way for a go at the cup tie against Ayr with the players knowing they can just go for it with the pressure off to an extent. That will take us into the game with Dundee Utd knowing that a draw will be a good result, which if we manage that will make our chances of winning the league 70/30 instead of 50/50.

Don't get me wrong ... I would love to get back to the cup final for the fun of it and from a financial perspective the 1/4 of the pooled gate and TV money we would get from two semi finals containing Hibs, Aberdeen, Celtic and Sevco ( if that was the line up ) would be significant even if we didn't make the final .... from that point of view Ayr Utd is a very important game.

But compared to the next two league games it is insignificant ........ no amount of cup semis or cup finals will compensate financially for the loss of revenue from plummeting ST sales, walk ups and the reduction in other income streams that would be the result of failure in the league.

I know I'm repeating myself from my last post on this ...... but I don't think it can be stressed enough how important going up this season is.
maybe we should take a poll. would you prefer the cup again or promotion. I think 90% would say the latter this time.
retain the cup would be amazing - but not if we didn't go up

hibbysam
27-02-2017, 05:34 AM

I think if we win against St Mirren and draw against United, our chances would be more 90/10 than 70/30. We would be 10 clear with only 10 to play, United would have to win every game (no chance) to have a serious prospect of winning the league.

Hibernia&Alba
27-02-2017, 05:41 AM
Finish in the top 4 in the premiership and you will likely qualify for Europe .... finish in the top 4 in the championship it had better be in first place because only that guarantees you a chance to play for a place in Europe in the following season / seasons, unless you are planning on winning the Scottish cup every season during this extended stay in the 2nd tier you don't seem to be bothered about. Believe it or not they still let you enter the Scottish and League cups as well if you are in the premiership ...... brilliant eh?

That aside, if you seriously think the seasons that follow staying down this season will be anything like this one even if we were to retain the cup then you must be mental .... anybody who sticks by Hibs will be watching them as part of crowds of 7 to 8 thousand and that will be a team minus McGinn, Cummings, Fyvie and whoever else we can get a few bob for or who decides to jump ship.
You will be watching Hibs play the same park the bus teams full of cloggers and time wasters as you have the last 3 seasons, but with players even less likely to get us promoted than the current squad ...... not to mention absolutely no chance in the cup you think is so much more valuable than a place in the top league.

So if its a choice between retaining the Scottish cup and the above scenario or getting promoted with games against Celtic, Sevco, Aberdeen, Hertz and Dundee in front of 16, 17, 18, 19, 20,000 crowds as a result of boosted season ticket sales and huge away supports, plus the signing of one or two quality players then I'll take promotion every time and I cant believe any Hibs fan who has suffered the trials of the last 3 seasons wouldn't either.

If this is a 'choice' then its a choice between watching Hibs enter a situation it will take us years to recover from, or watching the club rake in the cash from bigger crowds, better TV money, better sponsorship deals and playing teams who actually come to play football for the most part .... against a Hibs team with an even better squad than we have now.

There is no choice ..... the cup is a free hit we can all enjoy .... but all that matters is the league, the league, the league end of story.

:top marks

Excellent post :applause:

St Mirren away is a big game. Mess that up and it will be squeaky bum time. On the other hand, win that and win again at Tannadice, and the league is almost won.

greenlex
27-02-2017, 07:05 AM

Decent post. One small thing tho. When we return to being a mid table top flight club not challenging or apable of really winning anything we will. E back to sub 10k crowds.

Hibernia&Alba
27-02-2017, 07:14 AM
Decent post. One small thing tho. When we return to being a mid table top flight club not challenging or apable of really winning anything we will. E back to sub 10k crowds.

There is a potential dilemma there; the key will be to kick on and progress if promoted. Celtc aside, we could be competitive with the rest of the league if promoted, and should be looking at ways to compete for second place. Hearts and Rangers are very poor teams which could be beaten. Settling for mid table anonymity shouldn't be an option: this is a perfect time to make progress in the SPL.

Ilovehibs
27-02-2017, 07:43 AM
I think if we win against St Mirren and draw against United, our chances would be more 90/10 than 70/30. We would be 10 clear with only 10 to play, United would have to win every game (no chance) to have a serious prospect of winning the league.

Don't forget about Morton. They are not far away and going well.

calumhibee1
27-02-2017, 07:48 AM
As someone else said, even two draws in the next two league games leaves us 8 ahead with United only having 30 points to play for. The way they're going they'd be lucky to pick up 20 meaning we'd need to somehow avoid winning nearly all our remaining games.

If we go on and win the next three games against St Mirren, Ayr and DU, then we can start rotating the squad about a bit in preparation for the semi final IMO.

JimboHibs
27-02-2017, 07:51 AM

Don't get me wrong I'd love to do both but hypothetically if it was a straight choice to get promoted or Scottish Cup again it would be Scottish Cup for me.

Lancs Harp
27-02-2017, 08:06 AM
Its one of the oldest cliches in the football world but just take each game as it comes. Our biggest game is always the next one for me. No need to look over our shoulders, we need a winning mentality both as a team and as supporters and should go out on the field expecting to win every game we play.

Hopefully we will learn alot from saturdays match, which taking the positive from, the gap at the top didnt close and we got a point we didnt really deserve to get.

We move on.

hibbysam
27-02-2017, 08:13 AM
Don't forget about Morton. They are not far away and going well.

If we win Wednesday and Draw with United, we would be 13 ahead of Morton who will have 11 games to go. Again they would basically have to win every game they have remaining to seriously challenge, and with Falkirk, Dunfermline and Hibs (even Dumbarton) away, and Hibs, United, Dunfermline and QOTS at home I can't see them winning all 11 games.

Borderhibbie76
27-02-2017, 08:17 AM
United have 11 to play they will have a game in hand on us after weds

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SeanWilson
27-02-2017, 08:27 AM

Cracking attitude! 👏

percy veer
27-02-2017, 08:27 AM

I would also take a cup win every time, what do you get finishing 5th down in the prem nowt. a few seasons of that will return to rubbish crowds. Do you honestly think if we won the cup again crowds would go down to 8000?

pacoluna
27-02-2017, 08:45 AM
maybe we should take a poll. would you prefer the cup again or promotion. I think 90% would say the latter this time.
retain the cup would be amazing - but not if we didn't go up
pretty sure if the poll included "both" that would get 100%

Lancs Harp
27-02-2017, 08:50 AM
pretty sure if the poll included "both" that would get 100%

Aye put me down for both.

pacoluna
27-02-2017, 08:54 AM
You believe what you like. I hope we win obviously. Should we fail to progress? I wouldn't be bothered. Fail to beat St Mirren and United? I would most certainly be bothered about that. Last season it was a close call, this year the league takes all priority.
we wont get beat from st mirren and dundee united we haven't been beating in the last 13 games, You use the word fail a lot.. why? there is no reason at all to be doubtful giving our recent results, we aren't losing and that can only be a positive. I honestly don't know where this negative outlook comes from!

GreenCastle
27-02-2017, 10:09 AM
Scottish cup party v Championship League Winning Party.

We know which will be bigger.

Anyway..next 3

St Mirren..improving - fighting for their lives and we have several injuries. Never a fan of rearranged midweek games but hopeful we can bring back 3 points against ex jambo coach Jack Ross.

Ayr - all pressure on us...massive financial reward getting to semi final..ticket money , tv money and prize money (more merchandise sold etc) - really important game. Hopefully a full ER to hell finances also.

Dundee Utd away - we have a different team to last time we destroyed them. This game will be more like first game I feel. Win or draw this and 9 games left for us it would be hard for anyone to catch us unless we have a massive collapse.

Next 2 weeks massive in our season / future.

jacomo
27-02-2017, 02:34 PM
We have now made a credible defence of our Cup win. Whatever happens now we can hold our heads up high, with memorable wins in both rounds so far.

In that sense, the pressure is off. Hopefully the Ayr game will take care of itself and we get at least 4 points from next two League games - then we will be in great shape.

Liberal Hibby
27-02-2017, 03:02 PM
United have 11 to play they will have a game in hand on us after weds

They have 10 to play after playing us. That's why avoiding defeat then is probably enough (and v Morton).

Borderhibbie76
27-02-2017, 03:04 PM
They have 10 to play after playing us. That's why avoiding defeat then is probably enough (and v Morton).
Ah see what u mean mate 👍

NAE NOOKIE
27-02-2017, 05:34 PM
I would also take a cup win every time, what do you get finishing 5th down in the prem nowt. a few seasons of that will return to rubbish crowds. Do you honestly think if we won the cup again crowds would go down to 8000?

First of all I agree that there is a decent chance if we were mediocre after going up that crowds would indeed drop off ... that's pretty well been the nature of thing since time immemorial, its just how things work out sometimes.

But as for the highlighted point, I don't think winning the cup again would have anything like the affect it had this season .... the circumstances were entirely different from just about any cup win by any team in the last 30 years or more. Where was that affect for ICT or St Johnstone after winning the cup?, if anything their crowds got worse and they are still in the premiership ..... that is the normal affect after winning the cup, not the huge benefit we had.

If you think the bulk of the extra 3,500 folk who signed up for season tickets for this season on the back of the cup euphoria will be inclined to sign up for another season watching us huff and puff against Dumbarton, Raith Rovers, Ayr Utd and bloody Falkirk then you are simply wrong .... if anything we will be lucky to hang on to the 7,500 who have stuck with the club since we were relegated ..... for us it will be a 4th season of watching Hibs play the aforementioned teams and a fair number will take a 'sod this' I'm not paying another £300 quid to suffer another season of that pish attitude.

I would stake my life on that and I would bet dollars to donuts STF, Rod Petrie and Leeann Dempster would as well.

houstonhibbee
28-02-2017, 03:10 AM
Leanne won't let that happen:aok: