PDA

View Full Version : Captains role

HappyAsHellas
26-02-2017, 12:45 AM
Today we were coasting until our captain sold the jerseys at their first goal. This was followed by Fonts going off injured which then lead to a shambolic effort, particularly at the start of the second half when we were on the ropes. At no point during this period of the game did anyone take control of what was going on. It's at times like these a captain has to step up to the plate as it were and muster the troops. Not once did David Gray shout at his team mates or cajole them or try and instil some belief. He just went about things like a total stranger, even when the chaos was unfolding around him. It's at times like this when your backs are up against the wall that you need leaders on the park, and today we had none. Time for McGregor to take over the armband methinks.

Hibbyradge
26-02-2017, 12:46 AM
😂😂😂

HappyAsHellas
26-02-2017, 12:50 AM
😂😂😂

Three little grey circles? Not sure what you're getting at (genuinely can't see the icons) but I'm guessing total disagreement. Did you think he fulfilled his role today in a defensive capacity?

SaulGoodman
26-02-2017, 01:11 AM
David Gray will forever be a legend but he's not a captain for me. Does nothing to motivate the team.

Ffs the young lad Crane was trying to motivate the defence more than Gray was once he came on.

WS Hibs
26-02-2017, 01:25 AM
David Gray will forever be a legend but he's not a captain for me. Does nothing to motivate the team.

Ffs the young lad Crane was trying to motivate the defence more than Gray was once he came on.

Pretend he wasn't the man who scored the winner in the cup final for a second. Did you not see some of the runs and tackles he made in that final? Even some Hearts fans (who often delusionally pretend they'd have no Hibs player in their squad) admire how much he runs through walls for us. He motivates by example. McGregor, by the way, was absolutely shocking today and probably matched Gray in ineptitude without making as costly a mistake.

26-02-2017, 03:22 AM
Ive always said Paul Hanlon should be captain or Lewy in his absence

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Bay Area Hibees
26-02-2017, 03:33 AM
Yes don't need shout to be good captain. But organizing defense is helpful albeit easier for CH.

I love big McG but halon is my favorite defender, I just think he's class.

seven nowt
26-02-2017, 03:48 AM
David Gray would be my captain. Everyone makes mistakes, and one from him is rare. The guy's a leader. Think McGregor is a great player also, but was no better than David Gray today either.

Fuzzywuzzy
26-02-2017, 06:40 AM
Bartley was giving someone a mouthful but I couldn't work out who it was. Initially thought it was gray but could have been MacGregor or fyvie as all were in the vacinity.

Borderhibbie76
26-02-2017, 06:41 AM
The entire back 4 were a shambles at times today...why single out David grey...they were all equally as bad once fonts went off. The blame for me lies solely with lennon tbh...why put Bartley at CH?? Ridiculous decision that massively backfired

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-02-2017, 07:56 AM

This, sadly, it was very noticeable last night, McGregor for me.

marinello59
26-02-2017, 08:15 AM
Anybody who doubts David's Gray's ability as a Captain should watch the last twenty minutes of the Cup Final again. He leads by example and always does. One mistake last night coupled with most of his team mates having a bad game doesn't change that.

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2017, 08:17 AM
Anybody who doubts David's Gray's ability as a Captain should watch the last tee twenty minutes of the Cup Din again. He leads by example and always does. One mistake last night coupled with most of his team mates having a bad game doesn't change that.

Nail on the head, how anyone can question his leadership as Captain is beyond me. As for the "sold the jerseys" comment, it's ridiculous he made a mistake.

JimBHibees
26-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Anybody who doubts David's Gray's ability as a Captain should watch the last twenty minutes of the Cup Final again. He leads by example and always does. One mistake last night coupled with most of his team mates having a bad game doesn't change that.

Spot on the epitome of a captain. Fantastic leader. He made a mistake these things happen, move on.

hibee_girl
26-02-2017, 09:46 AM

Exactly.

He's had one bad game and we should strip him of the captaincy? Madness.

Also there's nothing stopping McGregor being a leader on the pitch, there's no rule to say only the captain can gee them up

Viva_Palmeiras
26-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Exactly.

Also there's nothing stopping McGregor being a leader on the pitch, there's no rule to say only the captain can gee them up

Almost like something the yams would do. Hmmm.

High-On-Hibs
26-02-2017, 11:02 AM
He had a shocker yesterday, but it was a first from him. Any player is capable of having a rotten 90 minutes. I certainly wouldn't remove his captaincy based on one poor performance.

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2017, 11:06 AM

:agree: rarely lets us down and as you say the last 15-20 minutes of the final he was superb.

Pretty Boy
26-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Do people still think captains (or managers) motivate players by shouting and screaming at them? Those days are gone.

David Gray made a mistake yesterday but he wears his heart on his sleeve every week and leads by example. He's been a fantastic capatain for us since before that goal in May and has continued to be afterwards. You can see how much the players respect him and that's far more important than him doing some crap Roy Keane impression trying to provoke a reaction.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
26-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Exactly.

:agree:

RamYer1902
26-02-2017, 11:44 AM
This is genuinely pitiful.

Gray makes one error and suddenly he's not fit to be captain.

Nobody said that on Wednesday when he went through every tackle and played excellently.

I don't know if some people post on here what they genuinely think or just to try get a reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truehibernian
26-02-2017, 11:55 AM
David Gray leads by example, even when his own personal performance has dipped, he never hides in a game and you can see how other team mates respect him on the pitch and off it. Also communicates really well in interviews and you can hear how determined he is which reassures those of the 'bed-wetting' variety.

I would definitely consider John McGinn as captain if DG was absent though - SJM's progress since being at Hibs is fantastic and he is captain material right now. Another who leads from the front and by example - top top professional for one so young.

B.H.F.C
26-02-2017, 12:04 PM
You don't need to shout at players to motivate them. But there was a complete lack of organisation last night and nobody did anything to try and address it.

As captain Gray should have done more in that regard IMO. Don't really have a problem with his mistake because those things happen and you can't really legislate for it.

I wouldn't single him out for it. I thought McGregor and Stevenson who are very experienced players should have done more as well. Nobody took any responsibility for sorting things out in the second half when were all over the place. There looked to be absolutely zero communication.

tamig
26-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Today we were coasting until our captain sold the jerseys at their first goal. This was followed by Fonts going off injured which then lead to a shambolic effort, particularly at the start of the second half when we were on the ropes. At no point during this period of the game did anyone take control of what was going on. It's at times like these a captain has to step up to the plate as it were and muster the troops. Not once did David Gray shout at his team mates or cajole them or try and instil some belief. He just went about things like a total stranger, even when the chaos was unfolding around him. It's at times like this when your backs are up against the wall that you need leaders on the park, and today we had none. Time for McGregor to take over the armband methinks.

Far too many players were below par yesterday. SDG had a stinker. Big Daz wasn't much better. Not sure what your point is tbh.

heretoday
26-02-2017, 12:25 PM
Times like yesterday when the passing pattern has gone wrong, we miss a big guy up front (Malonga) to hold it up and knock it off. Route One if you will.

Dunfermline were able to cope with balls in the air because we lacked an aggressive fellow like that.

emerald green
26-02-2017, 12:58 PM
You don't need to shout at players to motivate them. But there was a complete lack of organisation last night and nobody did anything to try and address it.

As captain Gray should have done more in that regard IMO. Don't really have a problem with his mistake because those things happen and you can't really legislate for it.

I wouldn't single him out for it. I thought McGregor and Stevenson who are very experienced players should have done more as well. Nobody took any responsibility for sorting things out in the second half when were all over the place. There looked to be absolutely zero communication.

The bit in bold - that's how it looked to me too. Verbal communication on the pitch is an important aspect of playing the game of football, as in any team sport. Nobody appeared to be taking any responsibility.

Golden Bear
26-02-2017, 01:00 PM
Times like yesterday when the passing pattern has gone wrong, we miss a big guy up front (Malonga) to hold it up and knock it off. Route One if you will.

Dunfermline were able to cope with balls in the air because we lacked an aggressive fellow like that.

Heard it all now! I don't think by any stretch of the imagination that Malonga could be described as "aggressive!"

😁

truehibernian
26-02-2017, 01:01 PM

We miss Dom full stop - I agree.

What Dom was able to do was also play the channels and allow the team to get higher up the pitch. Grant Holt was dropping deeper and central, not really offering anything and there wasn't anybody to take the ball from him hence we lost possession easily. Dunfermline exploited the left throughout the second half and for me, they identified how poor Shinnie is defensively. Time and time again Shinnie left too much time and space for Higginbotham, didn't get tight, and when he did was very soft in the tackle. I totally agree, someone like Malonga playing on that flank second half would have held ball better, higher up the pitch, and been more offensive. Shinnie had an absolute mare yesterday (for me).

WindyMiller
26-02-2017, 01:01 PM
I thought David looked tired yesterday, he was walking flat-footed with his head down a lot of the time.

GreenLake
26-02-2017, 01:22 PM
David Gray made a defensive error then two minutes later the ball hits off his chest a yard from their goal. He wasn't hiding and he was end to end during most of the game. He was right up there when Boyle could have laid it back for him but got dispossessed instead. The referee and his persistent decisions against us knocked the momentum out of our team then Dunfermline played very well to take control and we struggled to stop them. It was John Beaton and Dunfermline's good players who deserve credit for turning that game and not just a rare mistake by our captain (perhaps due to a bad bounce).

JimBHibees
26-02-2017, 01:51 PM

What Dom was able to do was also play the channels and allow the team to get higher up the pitch. Grant Holt was dropping deeper and central, not really offering anything and there wasn't anybody to take the ball from him hence we lost possession easily. Dunfermline exploited the left throughout the second half and for me, they identified how poor Shinnie is defensively. Time and time again Shinnie left too much time and space for Higginbotham, didn't get tight, and when he did was very soft in the tackle. I totally agree, someone like Malonga playing on that flank second half would have held ball better, higher up the pitch, and been more offensive. Shinnie had an absolute mare yesterday (for me).

Agree about Shinnie however personally thought Lewis as much to blame re giving Higginbotam space.

hibby6270
26-02-2017, 02:00 PM
David Gray leads by example, even when his own personal performance has dipped, he never hides in a game and you can see how other team mates respect him on the pitch and off it. Also communicates really well in interviews and you can hear how determined he is which reassures those of the 'bed-wetting' variety.

I would definitely consider John McGinn as captain if DG was absent though - SJM's progress since being at Hibs is fantastic and he is captain material right now. Another who leads from the front and by example - top top professional for one so young.

Agree with your SJM assessment. Although yesterday wasn't one of his best in terms of finding a Hibs player with his passes, I noticed him several times trying to rally the rest of the team when we were under the cosh. Takes a "captain material" player at his age to show that sort of desire. He'll captain a team one day. Will it be at Hibs though?

truehibernian
26-02-2017, 02:04 PM
Agree about Shinnie however personally thought Lewis as much to blame re giving Higginbotam space.

I don't disagree with you Jim, but what I would say is Lewy (I think) also had it in the back of his mind to coach young Crane through the game, perhaps that was reason for Lewis being less 'committed' in the left back role.

What we needed on that flank was a player who could hold the ball high up, or take it a run up the pitch to allow the makeshift defence to press higher - you saw throughout the second half the space between our defence and midfield. The uncertainty of the back four had them all sitting deep, and when McGinn and Fyvie took opportunities to get forward, loose passing meant acres of space for a quick Dunfermline side to attack the defence without much obstruction.

After the midweek heroics, a point on the face of it is decent given other sides gained no ground. Win midweek, get a 10 point lead, psychologically could be damaging for Utd and Morton.

heretoday
26-02-2017, 03:33 PM

I don't see Holt as a hold-em-up guy although I can't deny he's a tough customer. Certainly Graham doesn't fit the bill. I'm afraid I don't rate him too highly but I'm waiting to be pleasantly surprised.

Cameron1875
26-02-2017, 03:52 PM
One of the worst thread's I've seen on .net.

Oh and it's Sir David.

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2017, 04:19 PM
Do people still think captains (or managers) motivate players by shouting and screaming at them? Those days are gone.

The simple answer to your question is yes (and they're wrong).

The best captains lead by example and only shout when required rather than all the time.

Gray and McGregor both fall into that category.

Ilovehibs
26-02-2017, 05:56 PM
One of the worst thread's I've seen on .net.

Oh and it's Sir David.

Damn right.

HoboHarry
26-02-2017, 06:39 PM
The term "sold the jerseys" implies something rather more deliberate than a genuine mistake and since we are talking about David Gray, your post lacks credibility for me.

BT58
26-02-2017, 06:55 PM
SDG had a great chance in the first half to score ( unfortunately GH in an offside position stole his chance).He was at fault at the first Dunf goal but never once hid in the game. In fact he helped Crane when he came on.Never saw Paddy Stanton scream at players and he was captain fantastic, SDG does his best in his way, he has his faults but tries his best.

pacoluna
26-02-2017, 07:05 PM
The entire back 4 were a shambles at times today...why single out David grey...they were all equally as bad once fonts went off. The blame for me lies solely with lennon tbh...why put Bartley at CH?? Ridiculous decision that massively backfired

I think most would have put Bartley at cb with his experience over crane who isn't a natural cb either, it never worked so he changed it, can't put any blame on Lennon for that.

J-C
26-02-2017, 07:05 PM
A captain isn't just about the match day, it's the whole thing, behind the scenes, ambassador for the club etc, Gray is a very good club captain. There are 2 or 3 players who are strong characters on the pitch.

Borderhibbie76
26-02-2017, 07:07 PM
I think most would have put Bartley at cb with his experience over crane who isn't a natural cb either, it never worked so he changed it, can't put any blame on Lennon for that.
I'm a lennon fan but sorry mate I disagree...it was clear before HT it wasn't working and he should have at least changed it earlier....

Smartie
26-02-2017, 07:25 PM
There are different ways to lead, and quietly leading by example in the way David Gray does is my favourite way.

This shouldn't even be up for discussion, he's a superb captain and is worth his weight in gold.

Would you prefer some mealy-mouthed erse who points and shouts a lot whilst the game passes him by?

It was a bad day at the office.

Move on.

cmcd
26-02-2017, 07:45 PM
This thread should have been scrapped after the ops post .The the comment that really gets to me is people questioning NL'S decision to play Bartley at centre back . Who else from the bench do you think could play that position? The guy next to me suggested Graham OMG . As for David Gray
.This guy would run through a brick wall for our club yet have makes one mistake and posters are slating him .Once again OMG

Ilovehibs
26-02-2017, 08:09 PM
This thread should have been scrapped after the ops post .The the comment that really gets to me is people questioning NL'S decision to play Bartley at centre back . Who else from the bench do you think could play that position? The guy next to me suggested Graham OMG . As for David Gray
.This guy would run through a brick wall for our club yet have makes one mistake and posters are slating him .Once again OMG

Totally agree with you but thankfully the slaters are the tiny minority. SDG is highly valued by the majority.

HappyAsHellas
27-02-2017, 10:14 AM
I don't think I slated anyone in the OP, and the term selling the jerseys is pretty much uniform when someone makes a howler of a mistake. Communication amongst players is natural at all levels and apart from Marciano we had none that I could see. Saturday was not the cup final, and although we needed someone to take control at the back it just didn't happen. We ended up with a point from a game we could have won comfortably although it can be argued lady luck was not on our side. Getting Hanlon back will make a big difference as he is arguably the best reader of the game in our back four. Eternally grateful for what Gray did that day, but everyone has to be totally focused from now on till we wrap up this league title. We have another chance on Wednesday to stretch our lead and hopefully we will take it.

Lancs Harp
27-02-2017, 10:31 AM
I looked around the pitch when things werent going too well on saturday and the player I spotted trying to gee the players up was John McGinn, the only player infact.

Wasnt DGs best saturday afternoon was it but then again he wasnt alone.

At the end of the day Im just glad we managed to get a point out of a game we were by and large outplayed in. Sometimes you learn more about yourselves when things go badly so lets hope we can move on.

One of the worrying aspects for me was how defensively inept we were in midfield before Lennon finally got it and moved someone else into the back four and put Marv in midfield. McGinn Fyvie and Shinnie couldnt win a tackle to save their lives on saturday, the Pars just walked through them. Then we have a makeshift center back (Marv) with no protection in front of him. We looked alot better when NL finally put it right.