PDA

View Full Version : The team did well today

matty_f
25-02-2017, 11:30 PM
I'll probably get a bit of stick for this but I actually think the team deserve a lot of credit for digging out a result today.

Dunfermline were full of energy, very pacey and much more attacking than any other team has been at Easter Road this season. The heroics of Wednesday night obviously took their toll on the players, we looked leggy and tired for much of the game.

I thought the players' attitudes were great, they dug in and fought, and although we conceded, we held on to get a point and I actually think we finished stronger as Dunfermline tired and Bartley started to influence the midfield.

We were up against it today. Losing Fonts was massive with no recognised centre half on the bench I thought Crane did really well stepping in.

We didn't play well for much of the game but the team have everything, today was a point won through character and determination, and as disappointing as it undoubtedly is to lose a two goal lead, that point could easily have been a defeat if the players didn't pull themselves through.

Jonnyboy
25-02-2017, 11:32 PM
I'll probably get a bit of stick for this but I actually think the team deserve a lot of credit for digging out a result today.

Dunfermline were full of energy, very pacey and much more attacking than any other team has been at Easter Road this season. The heroics of Wednesday night obviously took their toll on the players, we looked leggy and tired for much of the game.

I thought the players' attitudes were great, they dug in and fought, and although we conceded, we held on to get a point and I actually think we finished stronger as Dunfermline tired and Bartley started to influence the midfield.

We were up against it today. Losing Fonts was massive with no recognised centre half on the bench I thought Crane did really well stepping in.

We didn't play well for much of the game but the team have everything, today was a point won through character and determination, and as disappointing as it undoubtedly is to lose a two goal lead, that point could easily have been a defeat if the players didn't pull themselves through.

No stick from me, Matty I agree with every word :agree:

greenlex
25-02-2017, 11:33 PM

No stick from me Matty. It's a well earned point at the end of the day. There is absolutely no chance the teams of the last ten years or so would have ground that result out.

NthCarolinaHibs
25-02-2017, 11:40 PM
Ah'm lost for words....I think we were lucky to get a point after a confusing second half performance,at home, against a team towards the foot of the second tier of Scottish football...

hibee_girl
25-02-2017, 11:41 PM

:top marks

Hibbyradge
25-02-2017, 11:44 PM

I've said similar eksewhere.

brianmc
25-02-2017, 11:57 PM
Ah'm lost for words....I think we were lucky to get a point after a confusing second half performance,at home, against a team towards the foot of the second tier of Scottish football...

It appears that it's only us 2 in a parallel universe NCH....
We, Hibs, us - fluked a lucky draw at home against a team from the nether regions of the second tier league in a third rate football country despite the fact that we had a two goal start!
And yet some people see this as a cause for celebration??

3 years in this wilderness league is enough for me, ta.

ehf
25-02-2017, 11:58 PM

Admire the sentiments but in reality it was only Rocky's heroics and some bad luck for Dunfermline in front of goal that prevented us from being on the wrong end of an embarrassing reverse; there were at least five occasions in the second half when it seemed inevitable they would score the winner. Although we steadied the ship a bit when Bartley went into midfield, we never really looked like scoring again after it went to 2-1.

Although there are mitigating factors (Fonts' injury, Beaton's performance, the rigours of Wednesday night), I don't think it can really be said that this was in any way a laudable, praiseworthy or professional performance.

brianmc
26-02-2017, 12:01 AM
Admire the sentiments but in reality it was only Rocky's heroics and some bad luck for Dunfermline in front of goal that prevented us from being on the wrong end of an embarrassing reverse; there were at least five occasions in the second half when it seemed inevitable they would score the winner. Although we steadied the ship a bit when Bartley went into midfield, we never really looked like scoring again after it went to 2-1.

Although there are mitigating factors (Fonts' injury, Beaton's performance, the rigours of Wednesday night), I don't think it can really be said that this was in any way a laudable, praiseworthy or professional performance.

Agreed. And frankly I think the thread title from the OP is embarrassing.

NthCarolinaHibs
26-02-2017, 12:03 AM
ehf..One hunner per cent..Cannae see how that second half performance can be regarded as anything but shocking...

High-On-Hibs
26-02-2017, 12:05 AM
Wouldn't call it a grinded out point. If we had been 2 goals down and had fought our way back in to it, then fair enough. Surrendering a 2 goal lead against Dunfermline at home isn't grinding out a point, it is throwing 2 points away. We should have been in complete control at 2-0 up. But as a result of a glaring defensive error, Dunfermline got their way back in to it at 2-1. Hibs really needed to show their metal at this point and failed to do so.

It was a very disappointing display overall and the sooner we move on from it the better.

Hibbyradge
26-02-2017, 12:08 AM
Funny how when the striker has a good game, the team is brilliant, but when the keeper does, we're pish.

--------
26-02-2017, 12:09 AM

No argument from me, matty. That seems a fair assessment of the match I saw. :agree:

wookie70
26-02-2017, 12:11 AM

I like the sentiment but can't agree that the team dug in. On another day and without a fantastic performance from our Keeper that could have been a hiding from a newly promoted team towards the the foot of the table. I think the only reason they looked pacey was because we were so slow and their energy was so pronounced because of the lack of ours. They had to attack at 2-0 and got lucky with a shocking mistake from our captain and then an injury to the one position where we have no first team cover. We did though have a development centre half on the bench and also Crane who has played there a few times. Lennon chose to put experience in which I can understand but didn't agree with and left it too late to rectify his error. For me the attitude of the players wasn't too great. I never saw the dig and fight you did for large portions of the game. I thought we got lucky with the point but I also thought much of the problems came from the emotional and physical draining felt from Wednesday. If we play the same against St Mirren I will start to get worried.

davidgray210516
26-02-2017, 12:16 AM
7 points clear and In the 1/4s at home to Ayr. Would have taken that if offered at the turn of the year

High-On-Hibs
26-02-2017, 12:18 AM
Funny how when the striker has a good gane, the team is brilliant, but when the keeper does, we're pish.

Because when strikers have good games and the defence do their jobs properly, then that usually results in a win. You don't want the goalkeeper to be in a position where they need to be brilliant the whole game, because regardless of how good they are on the day, not every shot is savable.

ehf
26-02-2017, 12:21 AM
Because when strikers have good games and the defence do their jobs properly, then that usually results in a win. You don't want the goalkeeper to be in a position where they need to be brilliant the whole game, because regardless of how good they are on the day, not every shot is savable.

:agree: we should not have to rely on a world-class goalkeeping performance to salvage a point at home to Dunfermline in the second tier of Scottish football.

The Leith Dutch
26-02-2017, 12:25 AM

Felt much the same about the game today.

Definitely felt the players had left a lot on the pitch Wednesday night and Dunfermline did pretty much what we did to the yams - came at us with energy and wanted every single ball.

I think if that was played Sunday and we didn't lose Fontaine we'd have taken 3 points.

vuefrom1875
26-02-2017, 12:31 AM
No stick from me, Matty I agree with every word :agree:

Ditto flat footed from the midweek heroics. Dunfermline was one of most attacking teams I've seen at E.R. this season,but another roaster of a ref!......losing count on the incompetents refs we've seen this season...but there you go,could It be another bitter official from the disaster in may 2016,and lets lts not kid ourselves they are still hurting!......rant over.

Dashing Bob S
26-02-2017, 12:37 AM

I agree to an extent, Matty. We were so off the pace today that at one stage I felt a 2-4 type horsing was on the cards. That we dug in for a point (largely thanks to Marciano) was admirable in the circumstances. However, we did capitulate at home to a side who are no great shakes, let us play, and ought to have been taken care off. We are severely underperforming in this division, especially at ER, playing in front of crowds we scarcely deserve on the evidence of the fare they've been served up, and we are running out of excuses for this.

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2017, 12:41 AM
:agree: we should not have to rely on a world-class goalkeeping performance to salvage a point at home to Dunfermline in the second tier of Scottish football.

Why not? Like it or not currently we play our football in the second tier of Scottish football and have done for a while now.The goal keeper is part of our team and he had a great game to get us a point. We haven't lost any ground and are a second tier team. All this pish about we should be doing this blah blah is unrealistic. Let's wait until we are a premier team before we belittle results against lower tier teams!

SaulGoodman
26-02-2017, 12:44 AM
Felt much the same about the game today.

Definitely felt the players had left a lot on the pitch Wednesday night and Dunfermline did pretty much what we did to the yams - came at us with energy and wanted every single ball.

I think if that was played Sunday and we didn't lose Fontaine we'd have taken 3 points.

The thing is I think you could take away the bit about Sunday, if we didn't lose Fontaine I think we would've taken the 3 points.

High-On-Hibs
26-02-2017, 12:47 AM
Why not? Like it or not currently we play our football in the second tier of Scottish football and have done for a while now.The goal keeper is part of our team and he had a great game to get us a point. We haven't lost any ground and are a second tier team. All this pish about we should be doing this blah blah is unrealistic. Let's wait until we are a premier team before we belittle results against lower tier teams!

Well if beating teams like Dunfermline at home is considered "unrealistic", then we could have a considerably longer wait becoming a premiership team. We may be in the championship right now, but we have a top 6 premiership team fanbase and the level of investment in our squad that would be expected for a top 6 premiership club. We really should be putting teams like Dunfermline to bed.

FitbaFolkKen
26-02-2017, 12:53 AM

Beating Dunfermline at Easter Road unrealistic? Pish and blah blah indeed!

Liberal Hibby
26-02-2017, 01:25 AM

I've just watched the second half again and the Pars keeper made as many save as Rocky did - apart from the first ten minutes or so when we were reeling (due to a makeshift defence because of Fontaine's injury), but after that we really didn't look like we were going to concede and created enough chances to win the game.

You can watch it in full online on the BBC website if you don't have Hibs TV. I suspect it is the lack of an interview from Hibs at the end of Alba's coverage that has meant the 'Pars were robbed' to gain traction. The BBC stats showed we had more chances than Dunfermline and more shots on target.

Nakedmanoncrack
26-02-2017, 01:55 AM
Some people are desperate to get attention by being ever more ridiculous.

HappyAsHellas
26-02-2017, 02:01 AM
To be fair his user name is liberal.

Liberal Hibby
26-02-2017, 03:03 AM
Some people are desperate to get attention by being ever more ridiculous.

Hmmm - naked man on crack...

MichaelTheCelt
26-02-2017, 03:16 AM
Disappointed tae see yous drew, 7 points clear still right? better ****ing win that league get yerselves back in the big time!!!!

The_Horde
26-02-2017, 03:39 AM
We ****ed it again. Lennon doesn't know how to get the job done. Management of an idiot.

lucky
26-02-2017, 07:41 AM
We ****ed it again. Lennon doesn't know how to get the job done. Management of an idiot.

Were you saying that on Wednesday?

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2017, 07:59 AM
Beating Dunfermline at Easter Road unrealistic? Pish and blah blah indeed!

Is it? Have we beaten everyone else at home or have I imagined the games I have witnessed.

H18 SFR
26-02-2017, 08:04 AM

Dunfermline have lost twice in 17 games in 90 minutes. Hardly cannon fodder.

Dunbar Hibee
26-02-2017, 08:05 AM

Matty, know where you are coming from. But for me losing a 2 goal lead against Dunfermline is just simply unacceptable. Not good enough.

Unseen work
26-02-2017, 08:12 AM
Very comfortable first half an hour and looked easy.

We then chuck a 2 goal lead at home.

Not good.

G B Young
26-02-2017, 08:20 AM
We, Hibs, us - fluked a lucky draw at home against a team from the nether regions of the second tier league in a third rate football country despite the fact that we had a two goal start!

Where has anyone said they're celebrating?

we are hibs
26-02-2017, 08:35 AM
It's was painfully bad. Using Wednesday to say they were leggy is just an excuse. They're professional footballers they should be able to play more than 1 game a week. That second half was as bad and disorganised I've seen us play since we came down. We are lucky Dundee United are useless. I'm more worried about Morton now

lapsedhibee
26-02-2017, 08:41 AM

:agree: Pretty much the last thing Lennon said before the match was how difficult it was to raise your game on a Saturday after a big midweek fixture. He cited his own experience as a player following CL matches. Although it's true Hearts are no longer the force they were when they won the CL in 2008, still think it's clear many were knackered, one way or another, after 20 mins.

Dunfermline were very good.

PatHead
26-02-2017, 08:44 AM
We were very poor for an hour. Off the pace, gave the ball away cheaply and gave away a two goal lead. Not many positives for me Matty. A very strange match after the first 20 minutes.

Waxy
26-02-2017, 08:49 AM

Dont think people are celebrating the draw. Just putting it into perspective. Dunfy played way above their position.

B.H.F.C
26-02-2017, 08:50 AM
I didn't think we showed a great deal of character to be honest. I thought one man ensured we didn't lose.

Nobody tried to take any responsibility. Fontaine going off obviously hindered us and having to play a makeshift centre half wasn't ideal. The other 3 defenders were still very experienced players though and nobody took any responsibility for helping either Bartley or Crane through it or trying to organise us when we were all over the place.

That's also two games in a row Fyvie has been hooked because he's been terrible. He's the only one that can't use the excuse of Wednesday either.

PatHead
26-02-2017, 08:52 AM
I didn't think we showed a great deal of character to be honest. I thought one man ensured we didn't lose.

Nobody tried to take any responsibility. Fontaine going off obviously hindered us and having to play a makeshift centre half wasn't ideal. The other 3 defenders were still very experienced players though and nobody took any responsibility for helping either Bartley or Crane through it or trying to organise us when we were all over the place.

That's also two games in a row Fyvie has been hooked because he's been terrible. He's the only one that can't use the excuse of Wednesday either.
Agree. Think it was a bad day at the office with few pass marks

patstanton70
26-02-2017, 09:00 AM
Do you ever go to games mate? For a team in the Scottish Championship we are lucky to have the manager we do. Look at what he did over the last couple of weeks in terms of people and tactical management. Careful for what you wish for because I'm not sure who you think would come in and do something magically better.

Joe6-2
Matty, know where you are coming from. But for me losing a 2 goal lead against Dunfermline is just simply unacceptable. Not good enough.

My thoughts exactly

Hibs07p
Before the game NL was asked about not making many changes, and replied "I can't, the squad is to thin". I think he would have liked to make changes but couldn't. If he had made wholesale changes he would have been accused of not taking the opposition seriously, and I think Dunfermline not having played since 14th February, were definitely the fresher team, due to our schedule over the last 11 days. If we hadn't made the good start that we did, it could've been a lot worse. As people have said the loss of Fonts, Beaton being a first class clown, Dunfy being fresher than us who gave their all on Wednesday, it was a great effort by our boys. This is the time of year when the real fight begins regarding relegation / winning the league / making the play offs, and forget the Ifs and buts, the fact is we are no worse off in the league and progressed in the cup. I'll take that at this stage of the season.

GGTTH

Scottish Cup Winners 2016
7 points clear
Destroyers of HMFC

Sammy7nil
26-02-2017, 09:01 AM

Sorry but for me simply not good enough we could and should be 15 points clear by now. Every time we have a chance to kick on we fail giving teams around us hope. Yes we had a tough game on wednesday but we were at home we did not tavel thousands of miles. We did not play Real Madrid we had probably the easiest ride in a Derby any of us can recall. So to surrender a two goal lead at home and to be lu ky to get a draw for me is not good enough.
It is games likes this that are going to keep Falkirk and Dundee Utd interested and motivated. We must do better.

The Leith Dutch
26-02-2017, 09:05 AM
It's was painfully bad. Using Wednesday to say they were leggy is just an excuse. They're professional footballers they should be able to play more than 1 game a week. That second half was as bad and disorganised I've seen us play since we came down. We are lucky Dundee United are useless. I'm more worried about Morton now

Around 15-20 minutes into the second half McGinn had a long spell of making the kind of mistakes you make when you're properly knackered. I don't believe he stopped putting in any effort or suddenly became a poor player who couldn't hit simple passes.

I just believe he had nothing left in the tank and I don't think he was alone in that.

We might have got away with it but it was a bigger issue due to Dunfermline playing with a lot of energy, closing down quickly and having a huge desire to get to the second ball - particularly second half.

Nobody is happy about the result but it's a very different situation to when we shipped 2 points against Raith the week before.

green day
26-02-2017, 09:09 AM
We are 7 points clear, in the qf of the cup, haven't lost since 2nd December.

There's 11 games left in the league - nobody else is "stepping up" to challenge us in the league.

Even when we are pish we don't lose.

Agree with OP. It's effectively over now.

Sammy7nil
26-02-2017, 09:10 AM

There's 11 games left in the league - nobody else is "stepping up" to challenge us in the league.

Nobody stepping up to the challange - Aren't we lucky

greenlex
26-02-2017, 09:15 AM

Perhaps or maybe they are dropping points to the same teams we are? Glass half full/empty and all that.

BoomtownHibees
26-02-2017, 09:15 AM

We really shouldn't have to rely on other teams not "stepping up" though should we?

Thegreenside
26-02-2017, 09:18 AM
Two dropped rather than one gained

Sammy7nil
26-02-2017, 09:20 AM
Perhaps or maybe they are dropping points to the same teams we are? Glass half full/empty and all that.

Hearts won this league in March with Rangers and us in it. Rangers won it in March with us in it. We must do better despite our strong position we dont have thisleague in the bag no one can be happy with our league form an we must do better. End of.

green day
26-02-2017, 09:20 AM

A team that's not lost since 2nd December isn't luck.

greenlex
26-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Hearts won this league in March with Rangers and us in it. Rangers won it in March with us in it. We must do better despite our strong position we dont have thisleague in the bag no one can be happy with our league form an we must do better. End of.
I don't think anyone is disputing any if that but it's not down to luck that nobody is getting closer to us. Having said that was it bad luck Gray crewed up yestherday, Fontaine got injured, the ref was poor and Dunfermline continued their form over the last few months? Was it down to good luck Morton got a point yesterday or entirely predictable? Falkirk dropping a point against Dumbarton at home I might give you but we do know from experience howstuffy they can be. Anyhoo with a bit of luck we will win our next two and onto win the league.

Sammy7nil
26-02-2017, 09:30 AM
A team that's not lost since 2nd December isn't luck.

You are correct. Next question do you think our home form is good? Try to take in to account the squad we have the fan base and the fact we are in the second tier. Look at the last two winners of the league and where they were at this stage against stronger opposition.

chrisski33
26-02-2017, 09:30 AM
Pish we shud have beaten Dunfermline simples and shouldnt be blaming wednesdays win for it as they are professional footballers so they can up their game for hearts but not for dunfermline? Lucky for us utd didnt win and thats 3 draws we have had against teams we should be beating. Not having this being happy with draws

Sammy7nil
26-02-2017, 09:32 AM
I don't think anyone is disputing any if that but it's not down to luck that nobody is getting closer to us. Having said that was it bad luck Gray crewed up yestherday, Fontaine got injured, the ref was poor and Dunfermline continued their form over the last few months? Was it down to good luck Morton got a point yesterday or entirely predictable? Falkirk dropping a point against Dumbarton at home I might give you but we do know from experience howstuffy they can be. Anyhoo with a bit of luck we will win our next two and onto win the league.

Yes i hope so too but really we should be further clear the sooner we stop viving teams hope the better. Lets get this done asap.

green day
26-02-2017, 09:35 AM
I'm not happy with the draws, just pointing out that - with every game that passes - the opposition lose chances to gain ground.

In two games time matches remaining will be in single figures.

It isn't pretty, it's a slog, but we are going up.

I am confident of that.

Col2
26-02-2017, 09:35 AM
Really frustrating night and credit to pars who were great and very lively.

In the cold light of day we have drawn last three league games yet STILL have a 7 point lead (one more point than a 3 weeks ago) and with goal difference advantage it's equivalent to 8 points.

We have 11 games left.

We are in a very good position.

And the cup game hammering was the highlight of the season so far.

We are doing just fine.

fife hfc
26-02-2017, 09:42 AM
I've just watched the second half again and the Pars keeper made as many save as Rocky did - apart from the first ten minutes or so when we were reeling (due to a makeshift defence because of Fontaine's injury), but after that we really didn't look like we were going to concede and created enough chances to win the game.

You can watch it in full online on the BBC website if you don't have Hibs TV. I suspect it is the lack of an interview from Hibs at the end of Alba's coverage that has meant the 'Pars were robbed' to gain traction. The BBC stats showed we had more chances than Dunfermline and more shots on target.

That is how I saw the game. Most of their chances came at the start of the second half and we stabilised when we took Bartley away from the centre half position. Fyvie was poor but was he still feeling the effects of his illness. We looked better with Bartley in midfield but I felt the midweek game had taken a lot out of Holt and Cummings who both looked like they lacked the energy of Wednesday. The Pars knew we were vulnerable with Bartley at CH and tired from midweek and started the second half with a high tempo and got there rewards. This was a team who hadn't played in eleven days against a team who looked mentally and physically tired. Yes it is disappointing losing a two goal lead but we have no Devine right to be hammering teams. Still seven points clear and on course for winning the league, so nothing lost and nothing gained.

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Another game down, no ground lost still seven points clear and edging closer to promotion. I'll concentrate on the positives.

blackpoolhibs
26-02-2017, 09:58 AM
I think because of the strength of the league (weaker) we are getting away with results like yesterday and the Ayr game.

The good teams find a way to win these games, we have a way to go before we manage that.

There were obviously mitigating circumstances, but if we go up, there will be games every week with the intensity of Wednesday.

As i said, the good teams find a way and we've struggled to do this in this division.

greenlex
26-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Yes i hope so too but really we should be further clear the sooner we stop viving teams hope the better. Lets get this done asap.
Amen to that Sammy.:aok::agree:

Sir David Gray
26-02-2017, 10:00 AM
Not for me.

A draw at home to Dunfermline when you're 2-0 up after 20 minutes is not something I would describe as the team "doing well".

I get the point about Fontaine but we ought to be able to see games out when we're in such a position. If it hadn't been for Marciano turning in one of the best Hibs goalkeeping displays I've seen in years, we could easily have lost 4 or 5 last night.

I'm concerned about the fact that the players are exhausted after Wednesday and we will be expecting those same players to go again on Wednesday against a St Mirren side that's just won a vital 3 points yesterday and who are fighting for their lives.

We've now dropped 13 points at home this season which is ridiculous to be honest.

Nicho87
3 draws on the trot. Making hard work of this now guys.

telford hibbee

i take your point about rockies heriocs and bad luck for dunfermline but thats what rocky is paid to do. how many times have we
played against teams in recent years and not won because the opposition keeper was mom.
luckily no harm done as the other results went our way.

The Leith Dutch
26-02-2017, 10:18 AM
Pish we shud have beaten Dunfermline simples and shouldnt be blaming wednesdays win for it as they are professional footballers so they can up their game for hearts but not for dunfermline? Lucky for us utd didnt win and thats 3 draws we have had against teams we should be beating. Not having this being happy with draws

Don't think anyone is "happy" with the draws.

I think the point is that there is a big difference between draws.

When we come out with no urgency against a team packing the defence and try to play at walking pace repeatedly trying the same tactic that obviously isn't working people offer criticisms of the team, specific players or the manager's tactics or selection.

In last night's game I don't think that applies:
We were clearly tired, they had energy and urgency - particularly second half - and we didn't have a centre half to replace Fontaine.

If we're being picky, Gray made a bad mistake, Bartley at Centre Half was a bad call and we possibly should have recalled the young Centre Half or brought in an emergency loan after Forster's injury.

JimBHibees
26-02-2017, 10:28 AM

Good post was definitely a point gained in terms of performance. There was a spell of 15 - 20 mins after half time we were all over the place however Bartleys move to midfield helped. Agree about us being leggy and team showed character to grind a point. Fontaine going off a huge factor thought he should have been taken off earlier as obvious he was struggling. Gives us a huge issue for the cup tie at centre back.

Fifehibby74
26-02-2017, 10:46 AM
If team was tired yesterday how are we going to lift it for another game on Wednesday night against a team fighting for their lives and livelihoods.

Itsnoteasy
26-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Not for me.

A draw at home to Dunfermline when you're 2-0 up after 20 minutes is not something I would describe as the team "doing well".

I get the point about Fontaine but we ought to be able to see games out when we're in such a position. If it hadn't been for Marciano turning in one of the best Hibs goalkeeping displays I've seen in years, we could easily have lost 4 or 5 last night.

I'm concerned about the fact that the players are exhausted after Wednesday and we will be expecting those same players to go again on Wednesday against a St Mirren side that's just won a vital 3 points yesterday and who are fighting for their lives.

We've now dropped 13 points at home this season which is ridiculous to be honest.

Have you forgot about the Polar Bear.

Heisenberg
26-02-2017, 10:55 AM
If team was tired yesterday how are we going to lift it for another game on Wednesday night against a team fighting for their lives and livelihoods.

We should be a team fighting for the title and showing why we should be champions. Let's hope we start looking like this kind of team on Wednesday.

Sir David Gray
26-02-2017, 10:57 AM
Have you forgot about the Polar Bear.

I did say "one of the best". :wink:

Fifehibby74
26-02-2017, 11:00 AM
We should be a team fighting for the title and showing why we should be champions. Let's hope we start looking like this kind of team on Wednesday.

I hope so. Not seen it in last 3 league games. We really need the 3 points. Feel like a stuck record saying the same thing over the last month

Heisenberg
26-02-2017, 11:02 AM
I hope so. Not seen it in last 3 league games. We really need the 3 points. Feel like a stuck record saying the same thing over the last month

True. Wednesday is now a massive game when it really didn't have to be.

Baldy Foghorn
26-02-2017, 11:03 AM

We never lost any ground. The CB area is a cause for concern with injuries and suspensions though....

chasitup
26-02-2017, 11:04 AM
I don't think the team did well at all Matty. I reckon we were very lucky to get away with a point. A couple of Marciano's saves were straight at him too, but he was immense and kept them out. I hope the team can get their energy levels up for another midweek game, they're professional footballers after all.

FitbaFolkKen
26-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Is it? Have we beaten everyone else at home or have I imagined the games I have witnessed.

Just because we haven't beaten every team that has come to Easter Road doesn't mean that winning against these teams should not be the expectation. We are top of the league, we have the best squad in the league, we should expect to win all of our home games.

If you go into games against Dunfermline, Ayr United and others expecting anything but a win why even go?

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2017, 11:45 AM
Just because we haven't beaten every team that has come to Easter Road doesn't mean that winning against these teams should not be the expectation. We are top of the league, we have the best squad in the league, we should expect to win all of our home games.

If you go into games against Dunfermline, Ayr United and others expecting anything but a win why even go?

Of course every time I go to Easter Road I expect to win, but the reality is that will never happen so when it doesn't I say to myself being realistic we can't perform to the highest standards all of the time and beat everyone. Think we've all been watching football long enough to realise that.

Peevemor
26-02-2017, 11:49 AM

I agree. I said in the match thread that I thought it was a good match - at least Dunfermline gave us a game. Fonts injury was a turning point and we struggled until Crane came on and Bartley imposed himself on midfield. From then on it was Hibs that were looking for the winner and Dunfermline started time wasting. The atrocious refereeing didn't help us either.

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2017, 11:58 AM
I'm happy that we're 7 points clear but am not happy that's all we're clear by and games like yesterday are the reason we're not stretching it. We've got to go up to united soon and if they can win and get us back to 4 points we'll feel the pressure far more than we need to.

9 draws this season is what's killing us - we need someone that can turn them into wins, like Commons did for 4 weeks. We're clinging onto the lead that his goals got us.

Lucky that united are dropping as many points as us.

Dalianwanda
26-02-2017, 12:03 PM
Agreed. And frankly I think the thread title from the OP is embarrassing.

You embarrass easy then

NAE NOOKIE
26-02-2017, 12:51 PM
It cant be denied that yesterday was a big opportunity to put real breathing space between us and Dundee Utd / Morton and we didn't take advantage .... that is disappointing and to say it isn't would be a lie.

But having said that I for one am not prepared to start losing the plot over yesterday because of that disappointment. There were a number of mitigating factors that lead me to have a far different opinion of the team yesterday than I had after the Raith Rovers game.

I don't agree that the team shouldn't have been affected by their efforts on Wednesday 'because they are professionals' how can anybody who was at that game say that ..... the players ran themselves into the ground and the tactics we employed in that game were of the sort that require a huge amount of energy to be affective, John McGinn looked wiped out 10 minutes before full time on Wednesday, he wasn't the only one and no wonder considering the amount of running they all did. Another poster said the Hertz game wasn't an excuse because it was 'an easy shift' or words to that affect ..... it only looked an 'easy shift' because of the huge effort we put in to stifle the Yams from midfield to forwards.

There is no doubt that if we had gone in at half time 2 - 0 up yesterday we probably would have won, its only because of an unfortunate error gifting Dunfermline the ball in a good area that we didn't. After losing Fontaine we lost shape and replacing him with Bartley wasn't a bad idea in theory, but it clearly didn't work and at least Lennon had the baws to admit it by bringing Crane on. We got absolutely nothing from an incompetent referee ... his decision to stop the game when Hibs were breaking away 3 on 2 in the second half for an injured Dunfermline player, who didn't have a head injury, was F'ing criminal. He also penalised Holt as a result of a 50/50 collision that wasn't a foul by either player where the ball had broken for us in a good area .... that was two of many things he got wrong and went against us.

Then of course the is Dunfermline themselves ..... that's as good an effort as I've seen from an away team at Easter Road in the last two seasons and that includes more than one Premiership team. I get fed up of reading posts from folk telling everybody how pish this league is and making out that every game should be a skoosh for us. It isn't a pish league, there are teams in it that are capable of giving most teams in the premiership a tough game and Dunfermline are clearly one of them if yesterday was anything to go by. Their willingness to attack and the number of players they had on the day who were decent on the ball was admirable .... it may have made it a bad game for us, but if I had been a neutral fan I think I would have enjoyed the game and that would be in no small part because of Dunfermline's willingness to contribute to it.

The positive from yesterday is that in spite of a bad day we didn't lose any ground and thankfully games are running out for those around us ..... we just need to stick with it and the fans need to stick with it as well .... the few folk I heard booing at the end yesterday need a good kicking.

Hibbyradge
26-02-2017, 12:59 PM
Every manager, every professional player, and every football commentator understands the effect midweek games have on players.

Teams who are knocked out of Europe early often have an advantage in the league because they're never jaded.

Yet folk on here who used to play a few amateur games know better.

It laughable.

emerald green
26-02-2017, 01:04 PM
So if the players were tired yesterday after the Hearts match, which they looked like judging by what I saw, should we expect to do well against St Mirren this midweek? Lennon put it down to tiredness.

Hibs were also lucky yesterday. Lets not kid ourselves. Only a superb display in goals from Marciano, and poor finishing from Dunfermline, saved Hibs from a real drubbing. That's what I would have been saying if the teams were reversed.

jgl07
26-02-2017, 02:39 PM
Hibs currently lead by 7 points from Dundee United with a vastly superior goal difference (+16 against +10). They are 9 points ahead of Falkirk (+12) and Morton (+10).

Falkirk have 10 matches remaining or 30 points left. United and Morton have 11 matches left (33 points).

So Hibs have to drop 8 points (three losses or 4 draws) assuming that United will 11 straight matches.

They need to drop 10 assuming that Morton also win 11 in a row.

Hibs would have to drop 13 points (out of 33) assuming Falkirk win ther remaining 10 matches.

So, it's far from over but the odds are heavily on their side. None of the pack have proved capable of stringing together a series of results to suggest they could win all remaining matches. They are likely to take points each other.

It all suggests that. at worse, Hibs will stagger over the line, while at best it will be all over in April.

Lago
26-02-2017, 02:41 PM

No stick from me, I agree with you.:aok:

NAE NOOKIE
26-02-2017, 03:04 PM
Hibs currently lead by 7 points from Dundee United with a vastly superior goal difference (+16 against +10). They are 9 points ahead of Falkirk (+12) and Morton (+10).

Falkirk have 10 matches remaining or 30 points left. United and Morton have 11 matches left (33 points).

So Hibs have to drop 8 points (three losses or 4 draws) assuming that United will 11 straight matches.

They need to drop 10 assuming that Morton also win 11 in a row.

Hibs would have to drop 13 points (out of 33) assuming Falkirk win ther remaining 10 matches.

So, it's far from over but the odds are heavily on their side. None of the pack have proved capable of stringing together a series of results to suggest they could win all remaining matches. They are likely to take points each other.

It all suggests that. at worse, Hibs will stagger over the line, while at best it will be all over in April.

We are + 26 ...... Utd are + 10 ....... we are + 16 ahead of them.

Keyser Sauzee
26-02-2017, 03:04 PM
There was a thread on here during the week about how we were favourites for the derby and people were rightly pointing out that the bookies very rarely get it wrong, with that being said, we're currently 1/9 to win the championship. Some people need to relax a bit

JimBHibees
26-02-2017, 03:11 PM
It cant be denied that yesterday was a big opportunity to put real breathing space between us and Dundee Utd / Morton and we didn't take advantage .... that is disappointing and to say it isn't would be a lie.

But having said that I for one am not prepared to start losing the plot over yesterday because of that disappointment. There were a number of mitigating factors that lead me to have a far different opinion of the team yesterday than I had after the Raith Rovers game.

I don't agree that the team shouldn't have been affected by their efforts on Wednesday 'because they are professionals' how can anybody who was at that game say that ..... the players ran themselves into the ground and the tactics we employed in that game were of the sort that require a huge amount of energy to be affective, John McGinn looked wiped out 10 minutes before full time on Wednesday, he wasn't the only one and no wonder considering the amount of running they all did. Another poster said the Hertz game wasn't an excuse because it was 'an easy shift' or words to that affect ..... it only looked an 'easy shift' because of the huge effort we put in to stifle the Yams from midfield to forwards.

There is no doubt that if we had gone in at half time 2 - 0 up yesterday we probably would have won, its only because of an unfortunate error gifting Dunfermline the ball in a good area that we didn't. After losing Fontaine we lost shape and replacing him with Bartley wasn't a bad idea in theory, but it clearly didn't work and at least Lennon had the baws to admit it by bringing Crane on. We got absolutely nothing from an incompetent referee ... his decision to stop the game when Hibs were breaking away 3 on 2 in the second half for an injured Dunfermline player, who didn't have a head injury, was F'ing criminal. He also penalised Holt as a result of a 50/50 collision that wasn't a foul by either player where the ball had broken for us in a good area .... that was two of many things he got wrong and went against us.

Then of course the is Dunfermline themselves ..... that's as good an effort as I've seen from an away team at Easter Road in the last two seasons and that includes more than one Premiership team. I get fed up of reading posts from folk telling everybody how pish this league is and making out that every game should be a skoosh for us. It isn't a pish league, there are teams in it that are capable of giving most teams in the premiership a tough game and Dunfermline are clearly one of them if yesterday was anything to go by. Their willingness to attack and the number of players they had on the day who were decent on the ball was admirable .... it may have made it a bad game for us, but if I had been a neutral fan I think I would have enjoyed the game and that would be in no small part because of Dunfermline's willingness to contribute to it.

The positive from yesterday is that in spite of a bad day we didn't lose any ground and thankfully games are running out for those around us ..... we just need to stick with it and the fans need to stick with it as well .... the few folk I heard booing at the end yesterday need a good kicking.

Very good summation agree totally about Dunfermline their line up was very attacking and some of their combination play was as good as any team in our league including premier teams also.

ahibby
26-02-2017, 04:02 PM
Not surprised by the result. The emotional effect just as much as the physical one would have an affect. Add to that injuries and Dunfermline having a similar run to us in their last six games, kind of pointed to a draw. However at 2 0 you think we are cruising but the game lasts 90 minutes and we disappeared for a long spell. John McGinn really out of sorts and Bartley looked commanding to me.

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2017, 05:13 PM
Every manager, every professional player, and every football commentator understands the effect midweek games have on players.

Teams who are knocked out of Europe early often have an advantage in the league because they're never jaded.

Yet folk on here who used to play a few amateur games know better.

It laughable.

I'm very concerned about the st Mirren and Ayr games now then. Clearly the players will be shattered.

And we only have 6 days rest before united away after the QF. I hope it's enough.

Hibbyradge
26-02-2017, 05:22 PM
I'm very concerned about the st Mirren and Ayr games now then. Clearly the players will be shattered.

And we only have 6 days rest before united away after the QF. I hope it's enough.

Why do most top English teams play weakened teams in domestic cup matches?

matty_f
26-02-2017, 05:24 PM

It was a run of Wed-Sat-Wed games that did us last season as they coincided with injuries to key players. Looks like we're facing up to that this season as well.

I know you were being slightly disingenuous with your post, but I think the fact we have a tough schedule coming up is a cause for concern.

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2017, 05:27 PM
Various reasons I think. Obviously comparing Chelsea with Hibs is a bit of a contrast due to their squad size etc.

Any idea how the teams in the English Championship, league one and two cope playing every midweek and weekend? It's not just the odd game here and there it happens.

truehibernian
26-02-2017, 05:32 PM

Last season we went on a very poor run in March, almost immediately after the 2 energy sapping derbies. In fact, yesterday's second half reminded me immediately of the Morton game where we lost 0-3. Dunfermline played the same pressing game.

Hibs need to be very canny the way they train and keep those fit nice and fresh - we have a good few games coming up and a stretched squad. Ideally getting McGeouch and Forster back, Hanlon too, would be the perfect fillip.

Heisenberg
26-02-2017, 05:32 PM

While United, as Dunfermline did yesterday, go into the game with a lovely wee break. Facing a fixture pile up with one fit central defender? How unlucky do we need to get? I'd genuinely play the kids against Ayr.

Hibbyradge
26-02-2017, 05:34 PM
Various reasons I think. Obviously comparing Chelsea with Hibs is a bit of a contrast due to their squad size etc.

Any idea how the teams in the English Championship, league one and two cope playing every midweek and weekend? It's not just the odd game here and there it happens.

Chelsea rest their players to keep them fresh. That's the point.

Teams that do not do this and are required to play twice a week, do not perform to their best.

Before the game, the Dunfermline manager spoke about Hibs having heavy legs after the derby. He hoped to capitalise on that.

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2017, 05:36 PM
While United, as Dunfermline did yesterday, go into the game with a lovely wee break. Facing a fixture pile up with one fit central defender? How unlucky do we need to get? I'd genuinely play the kids against Ayr.

:agree: I think you're right - might be the right decision. I think that's what HR is getting at in his previous post.

If we hadn't drawn so many games this season the league would be already wrapped up and the cup could've taken more priority.

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2017, 05:37 PM
Chelsea rest their players to keep them fresh. That's the point.

Teams that do not do this and are required to play twice a week, do not perform to their best.

Before the game, the Dunfermline manager spoke about Hibs having heavy legs after the derby. He hoped to capitalise on that.

I get your point - bairns in for the Ayr game then.

B.H.F.C
26-02-2017, 06:14 PM
It was a run of Wed-Sat-Wed games that did us last season as they coincided with injuries to key players. Looks like we're facing up to that this season as well.

I know you were being slightly disingenuous with your post, but I think the fact we have a tough schedule coming up is a cause for concern.

Don't think it's similar to last season really. We play on Wednesday then don't have any other scheduled midweek matches. Granted we will need to fit the Morton game in but that might actually be beneficial as we should have more than one fit centre half for that.

Last year it was literally every mid week we played over a decent period of time. Sure we played something like 9 or 10 games in March or April.

Injuries are part and parcel of the game, we need to deal with them. Even before Fontaine was injured yesterday our bench was a bit bare and we were only really missing 4 first team players in Hanlon, Forster, McGeough and Humphrey. Of them only Hanlon has been a regular. Lack of business in January could catch up with us as much as anything.

blackpoolhibs
26-02-2017, 06:38 PM
Once again the excuses are getting rolled out, maybe we shouldn't get promotion as there would be games like last wednesdays every week?

And we have the biggest and most expensive squad in this division, and of course, nobody else gets injuries apart from Hibs.

We need to have a much better attitude EVERY week, and grind out wins much more than we currently do.

KWJ
26-02-2017, 06:42 PM
Watched the game back and felt like Dunfermline played at 100% while we were a little jaded and suffering from a lack of centre backs and options going forward. I don't understand why Keatings wasn't introduced earlier.

McGinn had one of those days where his passing was slack and he wasn't getting the rub of the green.

The momentum was completely with the Pars for the first 25 mins or so of the 2nd half so I'd say we did pretty well not to lose the game and instead to almost win it ourselves near the end when we were on top.

Not a great day at the office but definitely could've been worse.

And stepping back as a Hibee it was a great game of football.

brianmc
26-02-2017, 07:21 PM
You embarrass easy then

Not really. As I'm sure you're well aware I was suggesting the OP should be embarrassed with the title.
But if you really feel that Hibs throwing away a 2 goal lead at home and having the keeper to thank for managing to scrape a draw qualifies as "The team did well today" then I must admit my ambitions for my team are much, much higher than yours.

Dalianwanda
26-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Not really. As I'm sure you're well aware I was suggesting the OP should be embarrassed with the title.
But if you really feel that Hibs throwing away a 2 goal lead at home and having the keeper to thank for managing to scrape a draw qualifies as "The team did well today" then I must admit my ambitions for my team are much, much higher than yours.

I wasn't happy with the result and think the midweek game certainly had a part to play. I just want the team to win that's my ambition & I wasn't happy we threw away a lead. I be more bothered if we didn't show effort but we did, Dunfermline played well, had a go, deserved a point. Not happy with a draw but can see the OPs point

Sammy7nil
26-02-2017, 08:19 PM
Why do most top English teams play weakened teams in domestic cup matches?

Because they treat the fans and competitions with contempt :dunno::dunno::dunno:

matty_f
26-02-2017, 08:30 PM

Not embarrassed in the slightest and it's nothing to do with a lack of ambition. I wanted us to win, my point was that on a difficult today for whatever reasons, the team made sure they didn't lose.

Hibs sides in the past would have lost that game, the heads would have dropped and we'd be lamenting a loss.

Saying they did well is different from saying it was a good result or that we played well. In the grand scheme of things it was neither of those things.

They did well not to lose when they were right up against it and clearly out on their feet. That's the point. It's nothing to do with lacking ambition or as someone else suggested, celebrating a draw with Dunfermline.

It's saying the boys did well to dig it out and hold on. They knew that it wasn't going their way, you could see how hard they were finding it, but they battled and held on. They did well.

rcarter1
26-02-2017, 08:42 PM

I can understand what you mean (and the second half was painful to watch), but as I presume you havent have played a game of the emotional intensity as a derby, how can you presume to know how the players legs should be holding up? The Pars for what its worth were hugely energetic. The injury didn't help us and we are short for cover. I can forgive this performance from the players. The fact we started so well suggests that they were really keen to keep their momentum going.

blackpoolhibs
26-02-2017, 09:45 PM
I can understand what you mean (and the second half was painful to watch), but as I presume you havent have played a game of the emotional intensity as a derby, how can you presume to know how the players legs should be holding up? The Pars for what its worth were hugely energetic. The injury didn't help us and we are short for cover. I can forgive this performance from the players. The fact we started so well suggests that they were really keen to keep their momentum going.

Good teams overcome this, if we play 4 games against herts huns and celtic next season, are we to expect poor performances in the 12 games after these games?

I thought Lennon gave them the perfect excuse BEFORE the game by telling us he was expecting us not to reach the heights we did on Wednesday.