PDA

View Full Version : credit to the pars

Shanksaidno
25-02-2017, 08:08 PM
Fair play to pats . . They had some good players and played well !!

Carheenlea
25-02-2017, 08:11 PM

Probably the best away performance by a team at Easter Road this season.

25-02-2017, 08:12 PM
As i mentioned an another thread, they came and actually tried to play football and have a go at us. Most teams in this league come to ER, sit in and just hope they might get a lucky break away.

swin1875
25-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Higgingbotham had a good game, Sometimes you just have to credit the other team,they played well and worthy of a point

Real Emerald
25-02-2017, 08:19 PM

100% agree, for all the problems we faced today be it tiredness, injuries or John Beaton, the pars deserve huge credit for the way they played and were unlucky not to win. They also tried to play football and win the game unlike most of the teams in this league👍

iwasthere1972
25-02-2017, 08:21 PM
Fair play to them. We were probably lucky to even get a point today with most of the players all playing below par. No pun intended. Wednesday must have played a big factor on today's performance.

The ref didn't help either. An absolute shocker.

lord bunberry
25-02-2017, 08:23 PM
I'm guessing we didn't expect such aggressive tactics from them today and that's what probably caused us the biggest problem. I thought they were terrific tonight.

matty_f
25-02-2017, 08:25 PM
I'm guessing we didn't expect such aggressive tactics from them today and that's what probably caused us the biggest problem. I thought they were terrific tonight.

:Agree: they tired towards the end of the game but they played with real pace and purpose. It was the last thing we needed with the players as tired as they were from Wednesday.

High-On-Hibs
25-02-2017, 08:26 PM
A far better footballing team than Hearts. :agree:

adhibs
25-02-2017, 08:29 PM
Best team weve played this season

Golden Bear
25-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Credit where credit is due and that was the best performance i've seen from an away team for quite a while.

WS Hibs
25-02-2017, 08:31 PM
I just can't understand what people saw in Dunfermline today. They were direct and ran at a defence that was (at times) shambolic. I agree that they did come out and make a game of it, but tonight was the equivalent of our 3-0 defeat against Morton last season defensively.

If I were a Pars fan I would be raging that my team never won that. We expected them to play with the exact same lack of intensity and purpose as Hearts did on Wednesday, and were surprised when they decided "**** that, let's have a go at this makeshift defence".

hibsbollah
25-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Hard to believe they are where they are in the table. Very impressive.

Sir David Gray
I don't think we could have had any complaints if we had lost tonight. With the exception of the first 20 minutes, they were worthy of at least a point and only Marciano denied them the full three points.

High-On-Hibs
I just can't understand what people saw in Dunfermline today. They were direct and ran at a defence that was (at times) shambolic. I agree that they did come out and make a game of it, but tonight was the equivalent of our 3-0 defeat against Morton last season defensively.

If I were a Pars fan I would be raging that my team never won that. We expected them to play with the exact same lack of intensity and purpose as Hearts did on Wednesday, and were surprised when they decided "**** that, let's have a go at this makeshift defence".

They were unfortunate not to win it. They may have been direct for the most part, but they knew exactly how to hurt us.

WS Hibs
25-02-2017, 08:36 PM
They were unfortunate not to win it. They may have been direct for the most part, but they knew exactly how to hurt us.

Not disputing that, they thoroughly deserved to win. Maybe it's because I'm a Hibs fan, but I thought that owed far much more to our poor performance than their good one.

High-On-Hibs
25-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Not disputing that, they thoroughly deserved to win. Maybe it's because I'm a Hibs fan, but I thought that owed far much more to our poor performance than their good one.

I think they passed the ball around pretty well on the attack. They certainly made far more of a go of it against us than Hearts did.

lord bunberry
25-02-2017, 08:39 PM

You can't deny that their tactics were a complete change from what we're used to seeing from the away team. That's what I think caused us most problems.

BS44
25-02-2017, 08:40 PM

If didn't think they were direct at all. Passed us off the park second half.

But I agree with others on here hammering the dogs on Wednesday took a lot out our team.

beensaidbefore
25-02-2017, 08:40 PM

Whilst there is some truth in that, its a bit like us being told our performance on weds was only good cos hearts were rubbish.

25-02-2017, 08:42 PM
A far better footballing team than Hearts. :agree:

That isn't hard to be fair

skipster7
25-02-2017, 08:43 PM
They certainly caused us plenty problems after Liam went off, a large part of that was the fact Bartley couldn't get tight to his forward or even attack the ball. normal service was resumed when a recognised defender came on. tricky opponents but a thumping was on the cards early doors until the error and injury.

Hibby Bairn
25-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Let's be honest. They ripped us a second ******** in the 2nd half. Swarmed all over our left hand side. Stevenson looked like he needed oxygen with 20 to go and Shinnie was chasing shadows.

Should have won 5-2. Thanks to Marciano and some poor finishing from them we held on grimly for a draw.

JimBHibees
25-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Thought some of their attacking play was good and they should have won no doubt.

WS Hibs
25-02-2017, 08:48 PM
If didn't think they were direct at all. Passed us off the park second half.

But I agree with others on here hammering the dogs on Wednesday took a lot out our team.

Sorry, I don't mean direct as in route one or hoofball. I mean direct in terms of attacking passes and running at our defenders, as in they didn't hang about when they had the ball.

hibby6270
25-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Higgingbotham had a good game, Sometimes you just have to credit the other team,they played well and worthy of a point

Agreed. Always thought he was a good wee player back in his Partick days. Bit of a wind up merchant on the pitch but the boy can play. Wonder why he has taken a step down to this division?
Might be worth a punt from us?

Bishop Hibee
25-02-2017, 08:53 PM
They are a good team going forward but poor defensively.

swin1875
25-02-2017, 08:53 PM
Agreed. Always thought he was a good wee player back in his Partick days. Bit of a wind up merchant on the pitch but the boy can play. Wonder why he has taken a step down to this division?
Might be worth a punt from us?

Yeah I always rated him think he is a decent player baffles me why he plays for the pars

Pretty Boy
25-02-2017, 09:02 PM
Our goalkeeper was man of the match. Best compliment I can pay them.

They came and tried to play a bit today and had the ref not been determined to be centre of attention we might have seen a decent game.

tanfield
25-02-2017, 09:13 PM
From the start they came and gave it a go and played really well. Some of their moves were really well done.

In a way I'm kinda relieved to get a draw.

Best performance from an away team this season for me.

Billy Whizz
25-02-2017, 09:14 PM
Thought they played positive football straight from the 1st whistle. For ssh as they hadn't played for 11 days it's so. Big No 8, Wedderburn can put himself about too

One Day Soon
25-02-2017, 09:19 PM
At two up we had them on toast. Then they clattered Fontaine and their goal pretty much came from his injury and the effect it had on our defence.

Once they got to 2-1 they did, to be fair, up their game. But at the same time I think it was at that point that the after effects of the derby kicked in. Our tempo and energy levels clearly dropped and you could see that players like McGinn were not themselves. He gave away possession in a series of poor passes.

Holt's example rallied us a bit later and Bartley back into midfield helped too.

Overall they were nowhere in the game until we let them back into it. Impressive display from them once they were let back in though.

Take a bow Marciano.

matty_f
25-02-2017, 09:25 PM
At two up we had them on toast. Then they clattered Fontaine and their goal pretty much came from his injury and the effect it had on our defence.

Once they got to 2-1 they did, to be fair, up their game. But at the same time I think it was at that point that the after effects of the derby kicked in. Our tempo and energy levels clearly dropped and you could see that players like McGinn were not themselves. He gave away possession in a series of poor passes.

Holt's example rallied us a bit later and Bartley back into midfield helped too.

Overall they were nowhere in the game until we let them back into it. Impressive display from them once they were let back in though.

Take a bow Marciano.
Good post. :agree:

My only gripe with Dunfermline was they chucked themselves down at every opportunity and were pretty dirty.

Eyrie
25-02-2017, 09:28 PM
I wasn't happy when they equalised but given how they played in the second half I now look at it as a point rescued rather than two dropped.

As long as they play that well against Dundee United, Morton and Falkirk then we can have no complaints.

Dashing Bob S
25-02-2017, 09:59 PM
Perversely I'm glad they got a reward for having the balls to come here and play football, even at 0-2 down. Other teams like Ayr have been rewarded for negative tactics. Obviously I'd rather we horsed them all.

superfurryhibby
25-02-2017, 10:04 PM
I thought Mc Mullan and Higginbotham were baith very good today. Mc Mullan seemed to have a hand in everything dangerous they created. Higginbotham is able to play at a higher level than he is, always thought he looked decent against us when at Partick. His career to a downturn when he left them

Criswell
25-02-2017, 10:09 PM
After a performance like that you wonder why they are in such a lowly league position? (only 6 wins all season) However, like most teams that visit ER they can raise their game and intensity on the occasion as we are no doubt regarded as their biggest fixture for obvious reasons. I'm not complaining, it's just a fact of life in this league. There is certainly an ER factor that we just have to contend with and of course should be able to cope with. Admittedly the refereeing tonight was simply appalling which did not help.

Anyway that said, being 2 down after 20 mins, I will give them credit for coming out and having a real go at us instead of opting for purely damage limitation. A surprising if somewhat unnerving experience!

OtleyHibs
25-02-2017, 10:14 PM
Perversely I'm glad they got a reward for having the balls to come here and play football, even at 0-2 down. Other teams like Ayr have been rewarded for negative tactics. Obviously I'd rather we horsed them all.

It's weird but I agree with this. Was disappointed with the draw, especially due to the fact we were 2 up and seemed to be coasting until an error let them back into the game but thought they gave it a go and played quite well so merited their point.

Very different to how I felt after other dropped points (raith for example)

bigwheel
25-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Think i heard that is one loss in 15 games for them...credit to Johnston and the players - they are a decent team

ehf
25-02-2017, 10:41 PM

Take a bow Marciano.

:agree: odd game in many ways and it probably did all turn on Fonts' injury and SDG's howler, along with Beaton's ridiculous performance but you do have to give Dunfermline credit. Also their fans, who were right behind them and provided great support throughout.

Jim44
25-02-2017, 11:58 PM
Personally I think this thread is embarrassingly patronising. I think the title should read 'credit to Hibs' ( for grinding out a draw ). After a terrific start, we were hustled out of the game by a team that should have won by at least a couple of goals. In the interview after the match, the two Dunfermline guys were a bit miffed and incredulous to be asked if they thought it was a point gained or two points dropped. All the other so-called weaker teams, looking at that today, will realise that we are still vulnerable and there for the taking. Mind you, it might help our cause if fewer teams drop the 'park the bus approach' and give us a more open game.

Liberal Hibby
25-02-2017, 11:59 PM
They certainly caused us plenty problems after Liam went off, a large part of that was the fact Bartley couldn't get tight to his forward or even attack the ball. normal service was resumed when a recognised defender came on. tricky opponents but a thumping was on the cards early doors until the error and injury.

Exactly. We could have been three or four up in the first 20 minutes. We were wobbly in defence until we went to 3-5-2 in the second half, but even then we had enough chances then to win the game.

The idea that we were lucky to get a point and should have been humped 5 or 6 to 2 is nonsense.

Hi Heid Yin
26-02-2017, 12:11 AM
Our boys were knackered from Wednesday. This gave the impression that Dunfermline were better than what they are.
We have to be content with a point and remaining 7 points ahead of the pack.

RamYer1902
26-02-2017, 12:20 AM
For as awful as were, Dunfermline were every bit as excellent.

If it weren't for a stunning Marciano performance, they would've got the three points that they deserved.

Having said that, when we went 2-0 up, we should've buried them. Had Gray just simply cleared the ball, I reckon we win the game comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HappyAsHellas
26-02-2017, 12:25 AM
Knackered from mid week? I'd maybe be knackered from mid week but these guys are professional athletes. They have sport scientists analysing their every move, they can tell their diet and habits from urine samples, and like the last emperor of China they have people looking at their turds to work out their ultimate diets - knackered? Are you insane? I smoked all my life, worked every hour that god sends and didn't give up trying to play football till I was 38, sometimes 3 times a week. But our boys were tired. Give me a break.

matty_f
26-02-2017, 12:53 AM
Knackered from mid week? I'd maybe be knackered from mid week but these guys are professional athletes. They have sport scientists analysing their every move, they can tell their diet and habits from urine samples, and like the last emperor of China they have people looking at their turds to work out their ultimate diets - knackered? Are you insane? I smoked all my life, worked every hour that god sends and didn't give up trying to play football till I was 38, sometimes 3 times a week. But our boys were tired. Give me a break.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly comparable to what the players did this week, right enough.

sambajustice
26-02-2017, 01:01 AM
This thread reminds me of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpWUaRtZ-JU

3 Cheers for Higgenbotham!!

Tiredness... Don't buy it. At amateur football you have to play 3 times a week sometimes. I know its not the same intensity but its all relative. These guys are professional athletes! If tiredness was the excuse against Dunfermline, then whats the excuse for Ayr and Raith!

2-0 up at home against a team in the bottom half of the 2nd tier of Scottish football and we chucked it. Awful if you ask me!!!

HappyAsHellas
26-02-2017, 01:08 AM
I'm pretty sure that's exactly comparable to what the players did this week, right enough.

Quite obviously it is not comparable in certain terms, but what do they do every day? I'd hazard a guess about running a lot. What does the average player do over 90 minutes? 10 or 12 kilometres? Top players like Messi play in more games a season than most, and all players agree that they'd rather play than train so what are you saying exactly?

Nakedmanoncrack
26-02-2017, 01:11 AM
This thread reminds me of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpWUaRtZ-JU

3 Cheers for Higgenbotham!!

Tiredness... Don't buy it. At amateur football you have to play 3 times a week sometimes. I know its not the same intensity but its all relative. These guys are professional athletes! If tiredness was the excuse against Dunfermline, then whats the excuse for Ayr and Raith!

2-0 up at home against a team in the bottom half of the 2nd tier of Scottish football and we chucked it. Awful if you ask me!!!

Can't say that, it'll upset the loyalists.

matty_f
26-02-2017, 01:13 AM
Quite obviously it is not comparable in certain terms, but what do they do every day? I'd hazard a guess about running a lot. What does the average player do over 90 minutes? 10 or 12 kilometres? Top players like Messi play in more games a season than most, and all players agree that they'd rather play than train so what are you saying exactly?
That Wednesday night, with it being a physically demanding match played at a very high tempo, probably took a fair bit out of these players, and it showed today.

Bear in mind it was a physical game, so it's not just running about its Ali the bumps and bruises that come with it.

To dismiss that because you work hard and played fives or whatever is absurd.

GreenLake
26-02-2017, 01:17 AM
They had some great attacking moves and should have scored about 4 after John Beaton had rammed our team into the dirt for them. They played well once our players were in a state of bewilderment and affliction. John Beaton played the role of the grim reaper and football played by Hibs became the victim he was after. Once our play was well and truly contained, Dunfermline began to pass about some nice balls and became a threat. Referees need to keep out of the direction of games and not interfere.

Nakedmanoncrack
26-02-2017, 01:17 AM
That Wednesday night, with it being a physically demanding match played at a very high tempo, probably took a fair bit out of these players, and it showed today.

Bear in mind it was a physical game, so it's not just running about its Ali the bumps and bruises that come with it.

To dismiss that because you work hard and played fives or whatever is absurd.

We've got the 4th best home record in the league, so all's well.

capitals_finest
26-02-2017, 05:59 AM

Agree with this. As gutted as I was not to go 9 points ahead today I was well impressed with Dunfdrmline's attitutude and style. I m surprised they are not higher up the table.

HH81
26-02-2017, 06:35 AM
They played quite well in the game at start of the season too. Maybe deserved a draw that day too.

Dunbar Hibee
26-02-2017, 07:02 AM
That isn't hard to be fair

Who gives a **** how they play. Never mind them. We chucked a 2 goal lead at home to a team that we really should be pumping,

Hi Heid Yin
26-02-2017, 09:02 AM

Lennon alluded to Celtic playing under par a few days after a big European night. Football is littered with this phenomenon, with all the big guns leg heavy after a mid week battle. Our own runs in the cup last season led to under-par performances and defeats to lesser teams a few days later. I think the evidence is pretty strong.

NAE NOOKIE
26-02-2017, 02:45 PM
I don't think its in the least patronising to give credit to a team who went against the mind set of 90% of teams who come to Easter Road.

They tried to attack from the first whistle, not just when Hibs became a bit of a shambles when Fontaine went off. Not only that but it wasn't just hoofball either, their passing, ball control and movement in the middle of the park and up front was pretty impressive at times and they hit a good few accurate long balls into space behind our defence as well.

I wouldn't say they were overly physical either, a few of their players stood up for themselves, but that was no more than we did 3 days earlier. I was very impressed by the wee lad McMullan at number 18, apart from one bit of outrageous play acting at the start he was direct and positive and not at all bad running with the ball.

Put it this way ............ for a neutral fan at Easter Road this season you wouldn't have been very impressed watching most games where the opposition park the bus for 90 minutes hoping to get lucky on the break. Dunfermline gave it a real go and were brave enough to try to go head to head with us which made it a really open game and if you take the green tinted specs off a pretty bloody watchable one because of that.

Their management team will have been well aware of Hibs exertions in midweek and in spite of all the fitness gurus on here who think because you are a professional player you should be immune to human frailties like tiredness and fatigue I'm sure professional players and managers know different and it would have been a factor in the thinking behind Dunfermline's approach to the game. They were also aware that our defence which has been so good this season was down to the bare bones ..... IMO they saw an opportunity to come and have a go and they took it very well.

Nah ...... credit where its due, probably as good a performance from an away side at ER since we were relegated and that includes a good few premiership teams.

heretoday
26-02-2017, 03:24 PM
We've still to play Dunfermline at East End Park . They were good and I can't understand why they are not upsides Morton and United.

jamesjamieson
26-02-2017, 03:47 PM
Pars deserved a draw but ref was lenient with bookings. McMullan should have been booked for the foul on Fontaine and they used gamesmanship - lots of play acting and rolling about - which the referee indulged.

Hibs need to do better but thankfully others just below us are faltering too. Need to win at least two league games in March or it's going to be a very nervous end to the season.