PDA

View Full Version : Centre back next week?

Pretty Boy
25-02-2017, 07:16 PM
McGreggor suspended
Hanlon injured
Forster and Fontaine doubtful

Makes not recruiting in January look a tad short sighted.

PiemanP
25-02-2017, 07:18 PM
And it doesn't look like Bartley is the answer either at the back. Can we recall the young lad from Edinburgh city?

Colr
25-02-2017, 07:21 PM
McGreggor suspended
Hanlon injured

Emergency signing of Stokes on loan.

aussie_hibee
25-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Who are the CHs that play for the development squad?

Are they good enough or too young?

cleanyman
25-02-2017, 07:23 PM
What a pickle this is

A tough 2 weeks ahead.

Borderhibbie76
25-02-2017, 07:27 PM
Ridiculous we never signed in Jan...I just knew this would come back to haunt us

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ED Hibee
25-02-2017, 07:30 PM
McGreggor suspended
Hanlon injured

I'm not sure you can criticise a manager for not having the foresight to realise that all 4 centre halfs at the club would be unavailable. I doubt there are many squads out there with 5 centre halfs.

WS Hibs
To be fair, losing 2 fully fit centre backs since the transfer window ended isn't very likely. But yes, we probably should've got somebody in on loan to cover Hanlon when he had his operation. You can't be expected to prepare for Forster and now Fontaine getting crocked too, though, otherwise you're just the master of foresight.

hibee_girl
Never mind Saturday, we've only got McGregor fit for Wednesday's game at the minute.

Fifehibby74
I'm not sure you can criticise a manager for not having the foresight to realise that all 4 centre halfs at the club would be unavailable. I doubt there are many squads out there with 5 centre halfs.

👍

essexhibee
25-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Can't we recall Porteous?

BT58
Go back to the famous 5 days and score more than the other team.

delbert
Ridiculous we never signed in Jan...I just knew this would come back to haunt us

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Lennon's failure to sign a cover centre half during the transfer window is a huge mistake, he had ample time and this was penny pinching which could yet end up costing us upwards of half a million pounds

oconnors_strip
25-02-2017, 07:32 PM

He is on a development loan so I would think there is a rule allowing us to.

Sioux
25-02-2017, 07:39 PM
He is on a development loan so I would think there is a rule allowing us to.

Some great ideas here. Let's sign 6 centre backs in case four of them are all out at the same time!! Carry out that logic and we's need 33 first team players players. Typical nonsense we get on a Saturday after a draw.

Iain G
25-02-2017, 07:39 PM
Lennon's failure to sign a cover centre half during the transfer window is a huge mistake, he had ample time and this was penny pinching which could yet end up costing us upwards of half a million pounds

Complete rubbbish! As said above we have four centrebacks and runhose in the development team, no squad needs more than 4 first team centre backs if you only play 2 at any given time!

Thought Crane stabilised things today when he came on and marvin helped galvanise the middle of the park.

Heisenberg
25-02-2017, 07:42 PM
Would 100% play Crane on Wednesday. Bartley did not look confident at the back and the rest of the defence seemed to fall apart as a result. Bartley into midfield over Fyvie and Crane at left centre half.

oconnors_strip
25-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Some great ideas here. Let's sign 6 centre backs in case four of them are all out at the same time!! Carry out that logic and we's need 33 first team players players. Typical nonsense we get on a Saturday after a draw.

Calm down! I didn't say anything about signing anyone, just replied to someone asking if we can play one of OUR youth players!!!!

I'm not panicking after a draw so get your facts right 👌🏻

hibs0666
25-02-2017, 07:44 PM

Lennon doesn't sign players. Best have a pop elsewhere.

Scouse Hibee
25-02-2017, 07:50 PM

Really? When we already had four,think you're talking rubbish myself. Why don't you give Lennon a loan of your crystal ball.

Zazu62
25-02-2017, 07:51 PM
Is crane a centre half or a left back? I thought Donaldson was a centre half?

mghibs
25-02-2017, 07:53 PM
Some position we are in, I almost thought we had too many cbs at the club to keep them all happy at the start of the season... just goes to show you eh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leith Green
25-02-2017, 07:53 PM
We dont know whats wrong with fontaine yet? Hopefully him or forster are fit enough.. must have decent enough quality young centre half in the youth squad?? Dont want to see gray or bartley at centre half, id rather we play a young laddie who plays the position week in and out

Speedy
25-02-2017, 07:56 PM
Free agents:
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=Abwehr&spielerposition_id=alle&land_id=alle&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=alle&yt0=Show

I'd take Jose Goncalves until the end of the season, thought he was good at Hearts.

Pretty Boy
25-02-2017, 08:10 PM

Lennon actively tried to sign a CB in January so seems he also thought it was a 'great idea'.

SaulGoodman
25-02-2017, 08:14 PM

Up there with the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard on this site.

wookie70
25-02-2017, 08:20 PM
Did we not know that Hanlon was going to be out for quite a bit in the window. That left us with three and we have played three centre halves a few times this year. Fontaine and Jordan are both a wee bit injury prone, and centre halves pick up booking particularly with the refs in this league. I think it was entirely foreseeable that a mixture of injuries and suspension may cause an issue. Sounds like Lennon did foresee the issue but for some reason we couldn't get or afford who we wanted.

Diclonius
25-02-2017, 08:23 PM
We'll have to hope someone is free to cover alongside Crane v Ayr, or an emergency loan. Don't fancy playing two youngsters at the back.

Ronniekirk
25-02-2017, 08:49 PM
We'll have to hope someone is free to cover alongside Crane v Ayr, or an emergency loan. Don't fancy playing two youngsters at the back.

Having not beat Ayr at home in two attempts ,lady luck looks lke its conspiring to make sure its gping to be another potential Bananna skin but we have to negotiate a tricky game away to St Mirten first so we wont lnow who is fit for the Game v Ayr till after that one

oconnors_strip
25-02-2017, 08:58 PM
Is crane a centre half or a left back? I thought Donaldson was a centre half?

Can play either position. Callum Donaldson is a right back, his brother Brad is a centre half

Waxy
25-02-2017, 08:59 PM
Attack is the best form of defence i've heard.

cleanyman
25-02-2017, 09:01 PM
We have that bum John Sutton to contend with on Wednesday

SteveHFC
25-02-2017, 09:02 PM
Emergency player in if possible.

Heisenberg
25-02-2017, 09:03 PM
We have that bum John Sutton to contend with on Wednesday

With our first choice central defence that would be no issue. We look like we'll be struggling for a first teamer to partner McGregor though. We've got to beat St Mirren IMO. We fail to win that and I'll be worried.

sauzee6_2
25-02-2017, 09:13 PM

How can you blame Lennon here????

We had 4 fit centre halfs in January - all vying for 2 positions, I think it's incredible that you would blame the manager!!!

we have been very unlucky to get injuries to specific positions, but clowns like you do not help!!

H18 SFR
25-02-2017, 09:45 PM
Free agents:
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=Abwehr&spielerposition_id=alle&land_id=alle&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=alle&yt0=Show

I'd take Jose Goncalves until the end of the season, thought he was good at Hearts.

Some really good players out there, sadly most will want a huge salary.

IWasThere2016
25-02-2017, 09:50 PM
Some really good players out there, sadly most will want a huge salary.

We have 13 weeks left in this season .. the wage shouldn't concern us. We wont have budgeted for 11k+ STs .. so time to spend

hibsbollah
25-02-2017, 09:59 PM
Can play either position. Callum Donaldson is a right back, his brother Brad is a centre half

He usually plays left back. Ive also seen him as a wide midfielder.

truehibernian
25-02-2017, 10:08 PM
Forster isn't far away from fitness - is he not back running this week ?

greenlex
25-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Nonsense. How many players do you want in for cover in any one position?

Big L
25-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Sorry if the questions been asked but when is Hanlon back?

007 Mickey Weir
25-02-2017, 10:23 PM
The problem with the emergency loan is it would need to be a player a SPL team don't want to play. Who have Celtic got in reserve?

cloudy
25-02-2017, 10:26 PM

I believe we can recall him for Wednesday but I think he's cup tied ruling him out for Saturday aswell

cmcd
25-02-2017, 11:05 PM
Utter Nonsense. We have 5 centre halves how the hell was Lennon supposed to know all would be unavailable

Dashing Bob S
25-02-2017, 11:06 PM

Yes it is. People don't half talk pish. It's an injury crisis that occasionally happens in football. It can't be planned for unless you have a massive budget and can pay top pros for doing nothing. All teams will play without recognized central defenders, midfielders, strikers from time to time. They are footballers, they need to adjust, step up and pitch in.

oconnors_strip
25-02-2017, 11:09 PM
He usually plays left back. Ive also seen him as a wide midfielder.

Crane has been played at centre half in a few games recently. But yes he can play left midfield and attacking left wing back also. Versatile player

wookie70
25-02-2017, 11:19 PM
Utter Nonsense. We have 5 centre halves how the hell was Lennon supposed to know all would be unavailable

Who are the five centre halves - Darren, Hanlon, Fonts and Forster - The only other one I can think of, out with with Development players, is David Gray who may be able to play there but isn't a centre half. I would see him as the right side of a 3 rather than in a pair. Lennon certainly thought that today.

hibsbollah
26-02-2017, 12:22 AM
Kane O'Connor ready to move up? Good Hibby name at least...

jgl07
26-02-2017, 12:28 AM
Sniff!

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2017, 12:33 AM
I've just had a text from Lennon. I'm on standby - all depends if I can get away from work early on Wednesday and I'm pretty busy just now so not confident I can swing it.

The Leith Dutch
26-02-2017, 12:40 AM

Not entirely sure there's evidence for that.

Seems to be suggestions he looked at Centre Halfs in the window but nothing indicating he didn't sign them for financial reasons.
Entirely possible that even knowing Hanlon was out for a few weeks for an operation he realised we still had 3 good players in that position so could afford an additional injury at a push and still have 2 good CBs to play.

I think having three Centre Halfs out injured at the same time is something most clubs in Scotland would struggle to deal with.

RamYer1902
26-02-2017, 01:24 AM

Couldn't be further from correct.

We have four centre backs. How can anyone predict all four won't be available. Not many (if any) teams will have five first team centre backs.

wookie70
26-02-2017, 01:45 AM
Couldn't be further from correct.

We have four centre backs. How can anyone predict all four won't be available. Not many (if any) teams will have five first team centre backs.

It becomes a problem when 3 are out. Almost guaranteed a suspension at some point, Hanlon was out after the first week of January and Fonts and Forster are regular visitors to the treatment table. We have been a bit unlucky but it was an issue that always had a chance of occurring. Given the risk and potential reward I'm surprised we didn't go for a back up plan when we found out about Hanlon's operation.

Centre Hawf
26-02-2017, 11:14 AM
Move Gray into centre half with Crane and put Boyle right back unless theres a decent U20s RB. Then put Bartley in front of them. That would be my choice.

J-C
26-02-2017, 11:23 AM
Move Gray into centre half with Crane and put Boyle right back unless theres a decent U20s RB. Then put Bartley in front of them. That would be my choice.

I'm pretty sure young Donaldson who was on the bench is a right back.

wookie70
26-02-2017, 11:35 AM
Move Gray into centre half with Crane and put Boyle right back unless theres a decent U20s RB. Then put Bartley in front of them. That would be my choice. That would have been my choice the minute Fontaine had to come off. Perhaps Donaldson instead of Crane but haven't seen either enough to know who to put there. Marv is great in midfield but he can't header the ball as witnessed by him not being up for corners. Lennon made an understandable mistake yesterday probably trying to protect a young player. By the time he fixed it we had already lost the second goal and it could have been worse. It worked ok once we had square pegs in squarish holes.

PatHead
26-02-2017, 11:45 AM
It becomes a problem when 3 are out. Almost guaranteed a suspension at some point, Hanlon was out after the first week of January and Fonts and Forster are regular visitors to the treatment table. We have been a bit unlucky but it was an issue that always had a chance of occurring. Given the risk and potential reward I'm surprised we didn't go for a back up plan when we found out about Hanlon's operation.

Maybe targets didn't want to come to be back up players.

Pretty Boy
26-02-2017, 11:49 AM

Firstly who are the 5? I can only think of 4 who have played in the 1st team.

Secondly Paul Hanlons injury predates January and the club were aware he would need surgery. Thirdly Forsters injury and the extent was known in January. I said several times in January we needed an extra body at CB, check my posting history if you like. Neil Lennon agreed as we actively tried to recruit at least 1 individual. For whatever reason we didn't manage but having only 1 fit CB as cover (or none if we went 3 at the back again) was always a bit of a dodgy situation and so it has proven with us now going into a cup tie with, as it stands, no recognised senior central defenders available.

hibbymick
26-02-2017, 12:01 PM
Can Conrad Logan play centre half ? :cb

oneone73
26-02-2017, 12:01 PM
Firstly who are the 5? I can only think of 4 who have played in the 1st team.

Secondly Paul Hanlons injury predates January and the club were aware he would need surgery. Thirdly Forsters injury and the extent was known in January. I said several times in January we needed an extra body at CB, check my posting history if you like. Neil Lennon agreed as we actively tried to recruit at least 1 individual. For whatever reason we didn't manage but having only 1 fit CB as cover (or none if we went 3 at the back again) was always a bit of a dodgy situation and so it has proven with us now going into a cup tie with, as it stands, no recognised senior central defenders available.
Forster played at Tynie on February 12. How could his injury have been known in January?

Pretty Boy
26-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Forster played at Tynie on February 12. How could his injury have been known in January?

Jeez you're right. That game seems ages ago. Ignore me then I'm talking pish about that.

Lennon definitely did want to bring a CB in in January though.

blackpoolhibs
26-02-2017, 12:16 PM
Jeez you're right. That game seems ages ago. Ignore me then I'm talking pish about that.

Lennon definitely did want to bring a CB in in January though.

I think Lennon tried to get a centre half who'd played at Celtic for him, i'm sure he went to Nottingham Forest?

Was it Wilson? :confused:

SChibs
26-02-2017, 12:26 PM
And suddenly Ambrose doesn't seem too bad after all

Joe6-2
26-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Don't know if I've missed it, but how bad is Fonts?

Feed McGraw
26-02-2017, 12:35 PM
Can Conrad Logan play centre half ? :cb Conrad can play anywhere he wants :greengrin.

stantonhibby
26-02-2017, 12:47 PM
I think Lennon tried to get a centre half who'd played at Celtic for him, i'm sure he went to Nottingham Forest?

Was it Wilson? :confused:

Aye..... Kelvin

Liberal Hibby
26-02-2017, 02:14 PM
Couldn't we simply give Mcgregor Lewy's number 16 shirt? Would anyone notice the switch?

NAE NOOKIE
26-02-2017, 04:38 PM
If McGregor is indeed suspended for Wednesday and Fonts cant make it then we are in a spot of bother no doubt about it. Time for another emergency loan which would surely be entirely justified in the circumstances .. don't ask me who though :confused:

That's bad enough, but its going to be just as bad if all we have is McGregor for the Ayr Utd game ...... Bartley clearly isn't centre half material so basically all we have to play with is a shuffled pack at the back and asking untried kids to step up. This could be a huge opportunity for somebody, or a disaster waiting to happen ..... it'll be interesting to see what happens, in a good way I hope.

Whatever the situation its taking hindsight to the limits to blame Lennon or Hibs in general for not getting in a CH in January .... in fact considering the fact that a striker, cover at left / right back and a goalscoring midfielder would IMO have been more of a priority I for one wouldn't have been that impressed to see a CH being brought in ahead of a player for those positions.

Onceinawhile
26-02-2017, 04:47 PM
If McGregor is indeed suspended for Wednesday and Fonts cant make it then we are in a spot of bother no doubt about it. Time for another emergency loan which would surely be entirely justified in the circumstances .. don't ask me who though :confused:

That's bad enough, but its going to be just as bad if all we have is McGregor for the Ayr Utd game ...... Bartley clearly isn't centre half material so basically all we have to play with is a shuffled pack at the back and asking untried kids to step up. This could be a huge opportunity for somebody, or a disaster waiting to happen ..... it'll be interesting to see what happens, in a good way I hope.

Whatever the situation its taking hindsight to the limits to blame Lennon or Hibs in general for not getting in a CH in January .... in fact considering the fact that a striker, cover at left / right back and a goalscoring midfielder would IMO have been more of a priority I for one wouldn't have been that impressed to see a CH being brought in ahead of a player for those positions.

Mcgregor is suspended for the ayr game. Not Wednesday.

NAE NOOKIE
26-02-2017, 04:58 PM
Mcgregor is suspended for the ayr game. Not Wednesday.

Ah right ...... move the terrible situation on a few days then ..... just have to hope Fonts isn't too bad.

Billy Whizz
26-02-2017, 05:04 PM
Don't know if I've missed it, but how bad is Fonts?

Me too. Looked like an ankle knock, don't know if it was a kick or a twist he suffered

Sergey
26-02-2017, 05:08 PM
Me too. Looked like an ankle knock, don't know if it was a kick or a twist he suffered

It wasn't his ankle - he took a kick to the shin just below the shin-guard. I don't think that part of the leg is your ankle but it looked a sore one.

ancient hibee
26-02-2017, 05:09 PM
McMullan kicked him.

J-C
26-02-2017, 05:50 PM
If that's the case it might just be a bruised bone.

wookie70
26-02-2017, 06:09 PM

We have 4 centre halves - Hanlon was going for an operation during the window so down to a known 3 for a good few weeks. Centre Halves pick up bookings so not that unusual for the odd suspension. Fonts and Jordon are both injury prone particularly Jordon. You would have done well to foresee we would be in this much of a mess but it was pretty obvious we were chancing it a bit. Lennon can't really be faulted if he tried to get a CH in but it could be a mistake that the club lives to regret, not necessarily anyone at fault. If we don't get past Ayr and it is due to the centre of defense then saving a few pennies is going to have cost us a good few pounds and we will never know what elses. That is only the cup the league could be even costlier.

mjhibby
26-02-2017, 07:56 PM
We have 4 centre halves - Hanlon was going for an operation during the window so down to a known 3 for a good few weeks. Centre Halves pick up bookings so not that unusual for the odd suspension. Fonts and Jordon are both injury prone particularly Jordon. You would have done well to foresee we would be in this much of a mess but it was pretty obvious we were chancing it a bit. Lennon can't really be faulted if he tried to get a CH in but it could be a mistake that the club lives to regret, not necessarily anyone at fault. If we don't get past Ayr and it is due to the centre of defense then saving a few pennies is going to have cost us a good few pounds and we will never know what elses. That is only the cup the league could be even costlier.

I'm sure Lennon is trying to get an emergency loan done for a ch. Hopefully have one for Wednesday if not Saturday.

silverhibee
26-02-2017, 08:31 PM
The problem with the emergency loan is it would need to be a player a SPL team don't want to play. Who have Celtic got in reserve?

And that's the problem, there won't be many SPL clubs wanting players going out on emergency loan at this time in the year, the best we could hope for would be a young untested lad who has maybe sat on the bench a few times, the only option is to sign a unfit free agent.

silverhibee
26-02-2017, 08:38 PM

The worry is he continued on for a bit before he went off, hope no more damage was done in that time.

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2017, 08:43 PM
And that's the problem, there won't be many SPL clubs wanting players going out on emergency loan at this time in the year, the best we would hope for would be a young untested lad who has maybe sat on the bench a few times, the only option is to sign a unfit free agent.

Would probably be better off playing our own fit young lads.

Billy Whizz
26-02-2017, 08:46 PM
The worry is he continued on for a bit before he went off, hope no more damage was done in that time.

Exactly

Billy Whizz
26-02-2017, 08:49 PM

Of the 3 that play centre back for the development team, Porteous is at Edin City, and is cuptied, Ben Stirling is injured. The only centre back is Kevin Waugh, generally plays left side, good young player
Calum Crane is predominantly a left back/wing back, but has played a number of times, left in a 3 man defence

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Of the 3 that play centre back for the development team, Porteous is at Edin City, and is cuptied, Ben Stirling is injured. The only centre back is Kevin Waugh, generally plays left side, good young player
Calum Crane is predominantly a left back/wing back, but has played a number of times, left in a 3 man defence

Good info thanks, would you be happy if we promoted Waugh short term?

cmcd
26-02-2017, 08:57 PM
Who are the five centre halves - Darren, Hanlon, Fonts and Forster - The only other one I can think of, out with with Development players, is David Gray who may be able to play there but isn't a centre half. I would see him as the right side of a 3 rather than in a pair. Lennon certainly thought that today.

Yes 4 + Youngster

silverhibee
26-02-2017, 09:19 PM

Will depend on how long our CHs are out for i suppose, really can't throw a few young lads in to defence when they have never played a competitive game before, i think Lennon would take a chance on a experienced unfit CH who might come in and hopefully do a job for us, either that or he puts Holt in the defence. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
26-02-2017, 10:03 PM
Good info thanks, would you be happy if we promoted Waugh short term?

If it's Ayr on Saturday, don't think it would be fair on Kevin and ano. Think he'll need an experienced centre back beside him. If Fontaine isn't fit, don't think we should expose him, in my opinion.

hibbysam
26-02-2017, 10:33 PM
Gray in beside either Fontaine (if fit) or Crane, with Bartley in front of them, and Boyle and Stevenson either side for me. Not ideal but probably the best we have. A case of hoping we score more than them.