PDA

View Full Version : Changing Teams?

Keyser Sauzee
24-02-2017, 11:28 AM
I was listening to TalkSport yesterday and I heard an advert claiming that u can change all sorts or things in ur life but never ur team and it got me thinking, has anyone on here changed their team? Or know anyone who has done it? It's unthinkable to me and probably the majority of others on here but was just curious to see if it had happened.

GGTTH

Ozyhibby
24-02-2017, 11:30 AM
I was listening to TalkSport yesterday and I heard an advert claiming that u can change all sorts or things in ur life but never ur team and it got me thinking, has anyone on here changed their team? Or know anyone who has done it? It's unthinkable to me and probably the majority of others on here but was just curious to see if it had happened.

GGTTH

It's more common than most people think. I know a few who have done it and I was a Celtic fan myself until I was 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easty
24-02-2017, 11:38 AM
My brother was a Hibby, now he's one of them. He was a there as a Hibby when we won the Skol cup.

Turned to the dark side a couple of years later.

He should have been removed from my house and put up for adoption.

Sas_The_Hibby
24-02-2017, 11:40 AM
After Wednesday's scintillating performance by the boys in Maroon (or "the talk o' the toon" as I prefer to think of them) I've decided to become a Hearts fan.

HibsNutter
24-02-2017, 11:41 AM
Normal people that do it can't really get much out of seeing their new team succeed, it wouldn't be the same.

Although, you can understand players doing it. Cummings and Gray have changed teams.

High-On-Hibs
24-02-2017, 11:43 AM
I can't help but support the "wee team", the "underdogs", the "bottle merchants".

I'm switching to hertz.

Ozyhibby
24-02-2017, 11:45 AM
Normal people that do it can't really get much out of seeing their new team succeed, it wouldn't be the same.

Although, you can understand players doing it. Cummings and Gray have changed teams.

That first part is just not true. Although I accept I may not be normal. [emoji3]

SeanWilson
24-02-2017, 11:45 AM
Childhood friend was a Jambo, along with most of our other pals. Me and a hibee mate were season ticket holders with our dads and said jambo pal started coming along with us in our Mcleish relegation year....said 'jambo' is now a grown man with his own season ticket for him and his own lads 👍👍

Andy74
24-02-2017, 11:47 AM
If you've actually supported a team for any meaningful period I don't believe you can just change.

A kid who is encouraged to support one team and sees the light a bit later is different, there will be lots in that category but I think anyone who has changed later in life wasn't really that into football or their initial team anyway.

I'm sure you can build up an passion for your new team but not sure it can ever be the same as having the team as a central part of your whole life almost.

Scouse Hibee
24-02-2017, 11:47 AM
Can't relate to changing teams but adopting another one has certainly given me untold satisfaction.

pacoluna
24-02-2017, 11:48 AM
Similar question.. Could you ever bet against hibs? I seen a few posters mention the possibility pre derby.

It wouldn't even cross my mind regardless of prices or any other circumstance.

Peevemor
24-02-2017, 11:53 AM
Similar question.. Could you ever bet against hibs? I seen a few posters mention the possibility pre derby.

I'm not really a betting man, but betting against Hibs wouldn't bother me as long as I could happily afford to lose my stake. I couldn't imagine myself urging Hibs to lose.

biotech
24-02-2017, 11:54 AM
I'll be supporting an SPL team next season!

BroxburnHibee
24-02-2017, 11:54 AM
My brother changed from them to us in his late teens. Think all his pals were Hibby's.

Big_Franck
24-02-2017, 11:56 AM

I've done it before. Not for a while, but I've done it several times in big games.

The way I look at it if Hibs win the big game I won't give a **** about my bet, I probably won't even remember I'd put it on. If we get beat in a big game and I win a good few quid out of it, it very slightly takes the edge off the defeat for me. Doesn't make me happy in any way, but I feel very slightly less annoyed about the defeat. Having won money after a defeat also helps me focus on something other than the anger/disappointment I feel at having lost the game.

_hucks_
24-02-2017, 11:57 AM
As a very young child, I was one of them. Saw the light by the age of about 7, though. Hard not to, growing up under the shadow of Easter Road.

Diclonius
24-02-2017, 12:00 PM
I loosely had an affiliation to Celtic (by virtue of my Dad) until I was 14, but had no interest in football. Switched to Hibs after I became seriously interested.

jeffers
24-02-2017, 12:00 PM
I rarely bet but did so on us to finish 2nd bottom under Butcher. If ever a bet was close to a certainty that was it.

SirDavidsNapper
24-02-2017, 12:03 PM
Lucky enough to be born a Hibby. Grew up in a big Rangers town during the 9 in a row era so took a ribbing from most of my pals. Glad I never switched. Made 21/5/16 all the more sweeter.

Godsahibby
24-02-2017, 12:06 PM
Not just changing teams I cannot understand how anyone can support a second team. A lot of people support Hibs and a Premiership team.

How can you possibly have so much passion supporting another club and ultimately what happens if the teams ever play each other?

These people call themselves true Hibs supporters as well! :cb

Sas_The_Hibby
24-02-2017, 12:07 PM

I've bet against Hibs a few times, not because I want thm to lose (!) but more as an 'insurance' bet, which I'm happy not to win.

10-1 (I just missed out on getting 16-1 before the odds shortened) on Hamilton getting promotion, after our first leg play-off win, was frankly just too good an opportunity to pass up, considering how fragile we were at that time under Butcher. I'd rather not have won the money but I don't think my bet caused Hibs to lose.

LichtieHibby
24-02-2017, 12:09 PM

I beg to differ. I moved to Edinburgh 30 years ago with my Arbroath scarf (now strangely lost) and started supporting Hibs I have never looked back. I doubt anyone on here is more happy than me with the way things are going for us. I get plenty out of it.

sleeping giant
I know a Jambo who changed to the sevco and a Hibee who changed to hearts WTF?

I can never ever have a football discussion with them.
Twats

SirDavidsNapper
Not just changing teams I cannot understand how anyone can support a second team. A lot of people support Hibs and a Premiership team.

How can you possibly have so much passion supporting another club and ultimately what happens if the teams ever play

Don't get that either. Couldn't ever involve myself emotionally with another club. Would feel like I was cheating on Hibs 😂

I remember some lass on twitter saying she was a Chelsea and Manchester United fan 🤔

steakbake
24-02-2017, 12:15 PM
I always liked Celtic when I was younger - like really young, before I started going to the football. When kicking a ball around, I'd want to be Mo Johnston. If I was in goals, I'd want to be like Pat Bonner.

First proper match I went to was Hibs/Hearts at Tynecastle some time in the late 80s - my old man's colleague wasn't able to go so passed on the tickets. In the Hearts end, I think it was a draw but remember saying something along the lines that I thought Hibs were great. Then went to high school, where most of the Hearts and Rangers guys were dicks, very few fans of other teams but a small group of good lads who were Hibs fans and fell in with them. Didn't start going to games until a bit later on (always had something on on Saturdays and we lived a bit away from Edinburgh), the first was at ER against Aberdeen - but it always was a stick-on I'd go to Hibs.

Like to see Celtic do well at European level but I'm glad when pretty much anyone else beats them in the league or cup etc: I like a giant killing and an underdog. When it comes to a Glasgow derby though, I can't help but wanting them to win and the more the better.

grammyb111
24-02-2017, 12:19 PM
My dad grew up in Brechin and supported Rangers as a kid (Brechin were his diddy team). When Rangers then campaigned to have some of the small teams like Brechin kicked out the league (don't know much about this, if anyone has information?) he changed to Dundee United. Now he's more a Brechin fan than Dundee United and since my brother and I support Hibs, probably would rather see us happy and so he'd want Hibs to beat United.

grammyb111
24-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Don't get that either. Couldn't ever involve myself emotionally with another club. Would feel like I was cheating on Hibs 😂

I remember some lass on twitter saying she was a Chelsea and Manchester United fan 🤔

Totally agree on not having an English team. I'd want the team with the biggest Scottish influence to win. For a while that was Everton so I'd want them to win, if suddenly Liverpool had more Scots again then I'd want them to win instead.

I still have Brechin as a second team but don't go to many of their games.

NAE NOOKIE
24-02-2017, 12:23 PM
I was a Celtic 'supporter' from the age of 7 until I was 15 .... a story I've told on here a few times and which all my friends are aware of. I do remember being a Hibs fan before that, in so much as I remember singing a song about Willie Wallace being *****, *****, *****, on Leith links when I was a wee laddie :greengrin

I suppose mine is a story of changing back rather than just changing teams in that respect. I would say that if its a case of changing from being a glory hunter to a team you should be supporting then its perfectly acceptable ..... my decision was as much driven by my pride in being from Edinburgh as anything else, at the age of 15 I became conscious of that fact and realised I shouldn't be supporting a club from another town, least of all Glasgow.

There are quite a few folk out there who have realised that old firm glory hunting isn't for them and have done the right thing in the end ... a guy I worked beside who is a die hard Yam was a boyhood Hun.

I do think having a family who support a particular team affects your choice, something that wasn't a factor in my upbringing .... but having made my choice I defy anybody to claim they are a more fervent Hibs fan than me, the idea of changing to anybody else is unthinkable
:flag:

DarrenSQH
24-02-2017, 12:33 PM
I knew a guy that was a hun as a kid but got older and didnt like the sectarian stuff so changed to hearts.

Sure Pat nevin is same with celtic to Hibs.

bigwheel
24-02-2017, 12:34 PM

How can you possibly have so much passion supporting another club and ultimately what happens if the teams ever play each other?

I don't think there is ever the same passion for one as the other...I lived in London for years, and whilst I still had a season ticket for Hibs, I also had a season ticket for Spurs...as you go to their games, you do build an infinity with the club and care how they do...I'm back in Edinburgh now, and still am a Spurs member...see them 3-4 times a year on average. When I go to see them, I'm passionate about them winning. But last night is a good example, Spurs got put out of the Europa League. My emotion around that is nothing compared to how I feel about Hibs. Wednesday night was outstanding - I've been to some big Spurs victories - none come close emotionally to how happy I was this week when we battered Hearts.

Peevemor
24-02-2017, 12:35 PM
Totally agree on not having an English team. I'd want the team with the biggest Scottish influence to win. For a while that was Everton so I'd want them to win, if suddenly Liverpool had more Scots again then I'd want them to win instead.

I still have Brechin as a second team but don't go to many of their games.

There's been a few teams that I've followed enthusiastically as second teams depending on the football their playing - AC Milan with the 3 Dutchmen, Man Utd with Cantona, Giggs, etc., Bobby Robson's Ipswich with Wark & Brazil. There have been others to a lesser degree, but these were side that I went out my way to watch.

hibee_girl
24-02-2017, 12:35 PM

I don't get that either.

I know someone who goes to both Watford and Arsenal games, just don't get it.

Callyballybe
24-02-2017, 12:36 PM
Always been a Hibby. Although I have a 'good' friend (I use that term loosely now) who, after being a season ticket holder at ER with his mum for years, switched to them around about his 18th birthday - actually getting a season ticket at *********** in the process!

Still makes the odd post about 'Sir Rudolph Skacel' on his Facebook. But he learnt long ago not to mention anything about football to me.

Peevemor
24-02-2017, 12:38 PM
I remember a few folk at my school becoming merricks in the 80s when they 'mita' won some stuff.

jgl07
24-02-2017, 12:43 PM
My first experience of football was listening to commentaries and reports on Manchester United's European Cup exploits on the radio. I probably saw myself as a United fan back then. I was too young to understand! Like many others I became hacked off by the fawning attitude of sports "journalists" towards United after the Munich crash and started supporting City in reaction.

NAE NOOKIE
24-02-2017, 12:45 PM
As an addition to my post above there is a discussion to be had about 'choosing' your team in the modern TV age with SKY and BT and much higher coverage on terrestrial TV as well.

There seems to be an argument developing, especially on Radio stations like Talk Sport that the concept of supporting your local club is outdated because football is now an international / global business. That's all well and good, but the counter argument to that is, and always will be, the same.

If you are going to chuck community and pride and loyalty to where you come from 'oot the windae' when you make your choice of club I'll believe that's acceptable when the club you choose isn't Celtic, Rangers, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Barcelona or Real Madrid. I'll accept it when the clubs 'I can support if I want' become Partick Thistle, Dundee, Wigan Athletic, Wolves, Norwich, Southampton, Watford, Espanyol or Villareal.

For so long as that situation is the case glory hunter you are and glory hunter you will remain no matter how 'global' the game is :aok:

Newry Hibs
24-02-2017, 12:50 PM

Was raised in Luton and after a very young allegiance with Chelsea, started going to games when around 15 or so. Got very into them, but that waned a bit as I got older. Still support them and was at the Hartlepool match recently. Indeed best moment was a 3-2 cup final win with a late goal!

However Hibs were always first and I always wondered how they were getting on whilst on the Kenilworth terrace (pre mobiles!).

When Hibs play Luton in the Champions League final - I'll be wearing green.

Don't get the two teams in one country thing though.

G B Young
24-02-2017, 12:52 PM
A guy I knew switched from Rangers to Hearts during the 85/86 season so his taste in teams at least remained consistently awful.

Like others on here I knew a few Celtic fans at school who always had a soft spot for Hibs and one or two have switched to Hibs full time as they got older.

I've also enjoyed seeing some English work colleagues become Hibs supporters after coming to a few games with me. They still support their English clubs but you can see that Hibs now probably mean as much if not more to them.

NAE NOOKIE
24-02-2017, 12:53 PM
There's been a few teams that I've followed enthustiacally as second teams depending on the football their playing - AC Milan with the 3 Dutchmen, Man Utd with Cantona, Giggs, etc., Bobby Robson's Ipswich with Wark & Brazil. There have been others to a lesser degree, but these were side that I went out my way to watch.

:agree:

Like a lot of football fans I struggle with the idea of neutrality .... I tend to choose a team to follow in leagues I can see on the telly. It was always Fiorentina when the Italian fitba was on CH4 and its Werder Bremen in Germany.

I do go to watch Everton from time to time, but I prefer to think of myself as 'a friend of the club' rather than a supporter ..... there's only one club I 'support'

I do own an Everton scarf, but I've never been able to bring myself to wear it to a game, which pretty well says it all :greengrin

Lago
24-02-2017, 12:55 PM
My father was a die hard Ayr Utd fan of many many years & as a youngster I would go along to Somerset Park with him & throughly enjoyed watching the likes of Dicksie Dean etc. However after I left the Merchant Navy & started working at Ferantties, met my now wife, & her Dad suggest a trip to ER, the rest is history, from that day in 1971 it was like a religious converson, I was a hibbie for the rest of my life. Not always been great but the highs are high.

G B Young
24-02-2017, 12:56 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/when-saturday-comes-blog/2013/mar/14/football-club-miserable-support-another-team

Hibrandenburg
24-02-2017, 12:58 PM
If you change from one team to another then you can't have had any meaningful relationship to the first club and it's questionable whether or not you could to the second.

banchoryhibs
24-02-2017, 01:04 PM
In my first 5 years in primary school most of my class mates were Hibs fans -- then Celtic won the European Cup and at least half switched to the lesser greens overnight. Nae class!

lyonhibs
24-02-2017, 01:05 PM
I know of one guy who was a massive Hun when younger but is now a Jambo as his mates had a spare ST frequently, he went along frequently and liked the live football experience (I know, I know..............) so switched sides.

Certainly never done so myself. I wasn't even aware an option beyond Hibs existed until I was about 6 or 7 and by then it was far, far too late.

jacomo
24-02-2017, 01:10 PM
If you change from one team to another then you can't have had any meaningful relationship to the first club and it's questionable whether or not you could to the second.

I think it's a personal thing tbf.

I haven't lived in Scotland for a long time. Some people in my situation would transfer their loyalties to a more local team and gradually lose touch with their first club.

For me, Hibs is a tangible link back to Edinburgh and no other club comes close.

I've told the kids they can support any local team they like, but Hibs comes for free. The first football game they saw was at ER and their names are on the East Stand. They also both have baby photos wearing Hibs colours.

Aren't they lucky?!

Pretty Boy
24-02-2017, 01:12 PM
I know a couple of ex Celtic fans who are now big Hibs fans.

I use the term 'Celtic fans' loosely though as they never went to games and sort of tagged themselves on to Celtic during te Martin O'Neill period.

Both are now ST holders at Easter Road and 1 brings his son up as a Hibs fan.

Sweet Left Peg
24-02-2017, 01:14 PM
My old man grew up as a Rangers fan. The story was that he went to Easter Road to watch a Hibs v Rangers match with a couple of Hibby pals from the old Nautical College and walked out saying that there was only one team trying to play good football. He was a Hibby from that point on, thankfully for me. I have only ever had one team and will only ever call myself a supporter of one team. There are loads of other teams that I feel an affiliation for, for a variety of reasons. But there is only one team I support. GGTTH

HibbiesandtheBaddies
24-02-2017, 01:19 PM
Worked with a guy from Kirkcaldy in the 80's who had switched from Raith Rovers to Hertz when he moved to Edinburgh.

Dourest, tightest wee Fifer I've ever met with a full on Paw Broon moustache. Suited that lot perfectly.

hibbysam
24-02-2017, 01:23 PM
Boy used to travel home and away with us for years u til a couple of years ago decided he was a Hun due to his sectarian tendencies, fair to say he's an absolute walloper of a boy.

Pretty Boy
24-02-2017, 01:24 PM
There's been a few teams that I've followed enthusiastically as second teams depending on the football their playing - AC Milan with the 3 Dutchmen, Man Utd with Cantona, Giggs, etc., Bobby Robson's Ipswich with Wark & Brazil. There have been others to a lesser degree, but these were side that I went out my way to watch.

I'm the same. Not really a fan of watching football as a total neutral so have always picked teams from other leagues, and I'll admit it was generally who was best at the time or a team that wore green.

AC Milan, Barcelona (also like Real Betis), Werder Bremen, Ajax, Sporting Lisbon, Marseilles are all results I look out for. In England I liked Man Utd as a youngster becaue Peter Schmeichel was my idol but as I got older I gravitated towards Newcastle and stuck with them. Usually get to 3 or 4 games a season when there's no fixture clash with Hibs. As for who I would support if Hibs ever played any of those teams? Total no brainer Hibs every time with the same passion that I have for Hibs in every game. Not even a hint of divided loyalty.

Smartie
24-02-2017, 01:25 PM
I was more of an Aberdeen fan as a kid.

I lived in a sort of football no mans land and most of the young glory-hunters went for Aberdeen so I followed suit. I also had next door neighbours who were from Aberdeen who went to a lot of games and their older sons influenced us.

I woke up at about the age of 14 though, went to a Hibs end at a game at McDiarmid Park and found myself practically converted on the spot and at Easter Road for the first time the next week. I went as often as I could that season and from the next season on I went practically every week and have never really stopped.

I managed to influence both my younger brothers into doing likewise and my middle brother's son is now being brought up as a Hibs fan in spite of the fact that his grandad to the other side is quite a strong pull towards Dunfermline.

AltheHibby
24-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Brought up in a yak family and was encouraged to support them. Aged around 5 Pat Stanton became my local hero. Hibby ever since.

HiBremian
24-02-2017, 01:27 PM
Born a Hibby, attended first "big" game at ER (v Clyde, 5-5 - name that year!), will die a Hibby.

The fact that I married a German lass who lives within walking distance of the Weser Stadion gives me a German substitute when I'm missing the real thing.

Don't know anyone who changed teams, other than as a kid.

worcesterhibby
24-02-2017, 01:28 PM
:agree:

Like a lot of football fans I struggle with the idea of neutrality .... I tend to choose a team to follow in leagues I can see on the telly. It was always Fiorentina when the Italian fitba was on CH4 and its Werder Bremen in Germany.

I do go to watch Everton from time to time, but I prefer to think of myself as 'a friend of the club' rather than a supporter ..... there's only one club I 'support'

I do own an Everton scarf, but I've never been able to bring myself to wear it to a game, which pretty well says it all :greengrin

This kind of sums me up too...I only support one club..HIBS, but I can't watch a game as a neutral, I always feel the need to side with one team or another. Used to follow Forest, just because of Brian Clough and the number of Scots in the side...couldn't give monkeys about Forest now. Also had a big soft spot for Liverpool because of Dalglish, but again lost all interest once he departed. I tend to always support teams playing against Chelsea and Man City, just because they are such rich boys toys.

Despite living in England for the past 30 years, I've never really taken on an English side..would rather be following a Hibs game by Listening to Cliff's commentary on Hibs TV than actually attend a game in England.

Smartie
24-02-2017, 01:34 PM
I probably know more people who have abandoned the OF more than any other teams.

I know a good few who got sickened by the sectarianism and a few who preferred to follow a more local club with a different "connection".

There have been a few who have gone on to "support" Chelsea, Man City and the like as TV glamour football has taken over and the OF have been left behind by Europe's elite.

I also have noticed that not every Rangers fan went on to follow the Sevco franchise and some have ditched them quite openly stating that they don't believe it is the same club.

I think changing teams is a lot more common than people think. I'm sure there was a chapter on it in the book "Why England lose" (which was a great read and took in pads of interesting subjects) and they explored the fickleness of football fans, and how people's enthusiasm will rise and dip over a lifetime whilst many even change teams.

Itsnoteasy
24-02-2017, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=Keyser Sauzee;4956144]I was listening to TalkSport yesterday and I heard an advert claiming that u can change all sorts or things in ur life but never ur team and it got me thinking, has anyone on here changed their team? Or know anyone who has done it? It's unthinkable to me and probably the majority of others on here but was just curious to see if it had happened.

My best mate from Dalry Primary a Hibby changed to a Yam when we went to Tynie High. As his new found friends went to see them he started to go along and changed his team. That was the end of him being my best mate.
Think there was about 10 Hibbys max in the whole school.

matty_f
24-02-2017, 01:53 PM
There was a boy at my old work who was a huge Celtc fan, had strips for fives, would talk about them a lot etc. After I left, I got a message on Xbox from him giving it the "5-1" pish, I called him out on it and he said that he'd decided to start supporting the Yams instead. You're not talking about a teenager here, this is a guy in his mid to late twenties.

It's obviously his choice who he supports, but I thought it was a bit much to then go (out of the blue as well, not like we were chatting on Xbox Live every week) and start dishing out abuse.

KeithTheHibby
24-02-2017, 01:55 PM
A mate of mine changed from Hearts to the huns about 30 years ago when he was about 13.

Hearts season ticket holder the lot. Threw his scarf on the park then following week was sporting a hun shell suit.

I never tire of reminding him who he used to support.

Me personally don't get it. I may not attend as many games as I used to however for me it's in the blood or under the skin. I won't and refuse to shake off Hibs. I would rather stop watching football than change to another team.

lyonhibs
24-02-2017, 01:57 PM
There was a boy at my old work who was a huge Celtc fan, had strips for fives, would talk about them a lot etc. After I left, I got a message on Xbox from him giving it the "5-1" pish, I called him out on it and he said that he'd decided to start supporting the Yams instead. You're not talking about a teenager here, this is a guy in his mid to late twenties.

It's obviously his choice who he supports, but I thought it was a bit much to then go (out of the blue as well, not like we were chatting on Xbox Live every week) and start dishing out abuse.

Boy sounds like a grade A weapon IMO.

liscious_hibs
24-02-2017, 01:59 PM

GGTTH
I hate to admit that I was at one time; one of the unwashed of Gorgie and at about age 12 my gran used to buy me celtic tops when she went on holiday cause she supported them

Not that I ever went to hertz games, I simply listened for the results so I would actually have something to talk about with the neanderthal but alas I fell for a Hibee, now engaged and I shout louder at the games than she does 😃 never felt about football the way I do about hibs. It didn't interest me all that much till that day I first set foot on our sacred ground

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Cabbage East
24-02-2017, 02:13 PM

Yep, find that really odd too. See when Scottish folk ask me who my English team is...? never understood that.

liscious_hibs
24-02-2017, 02:13 PM
I hate to admit that I was at one time; one of the unwashed of Gorgie and at about age 12 my gran used to buy me celtic tops when she went on holiday cause she supported them

Not that I ever went to hertz games, I simply listened for the results so I would actually have something to talk about with the neanderthal but alas I fell for a Hibee, now engaged and I shout louder at the games than she does 😃 never felt about football the way I do about hibs. It didn't interest me all that much till that day I first set foot on our sacred ground

Can't figure out how to edit but the neanderthal is my yammy brother. Talks in grunts and had the iq of a bulldog behind that 5 inch protruding forehead. I swear he's the missing link 😂

Flynn
24-02-2017, 02:15 PM
Ashamed to admit it but I supported Aberdeen in primary school. But of a glory hunter as it was the early-mid 80s.

My dad is a lapsed Hibby who stopped going to games in the late 70s. He didn't try to influence me to support any particular team and all my favourite Scotland players played for the dons.

I saw the light when I started secondary school at Leith Academy (1986).

Now I only watch Hibs or Scotland. Can't say I'm too interested in watching any other live games apart from euros and world cups.

NAE NOOKIE
24-02-2017, 02:20 PM

Well, given my story which seems to mirror quite a few others that's clearly not totally the case. Even though I was lucky enough to come to my senses in the period where I was a Celtic fan I would have considered myself a fervent supporter of the club ... though I would agree that my connection to them was only as a TV fan and nothing more and from that point of view there is some merit in your first point ... the first time I ever saw them play in the flesh was at Easter Road against Hibs, as a Hibs supporter and believe you me I was in no quandary whatsoever as to who I wanted to win.

As for your second point .... I don't know about anybody else, but my 'relationship' with Hibs is as meaningful as any Hibs fan, I don't care if you come from a family who have supported the club in an unbroken provable line going all the way back to 1875. In the 40 odd years since I became a Hibs fan I have laughed, cried, celebrated with and been as angry at the club as any Hibs fan out there. I have spent money I didn't have going to games, I have defied crap weather and a thousand other obstacles to watch the club, including the unspoken ( and sometimes spoken ) disapproval of two wives and one partner at my devotion to the club. I have been at least partly responsible for creating more than one die hard fellow Hibs fan ...... and above all else have stuck by the club as a match going supporter no matter how rubbish the product on the park has been.

If you are talking about folk who have never particularly been so in to football that the team they choose to follow doesn't mean much in their lives then perhaps you have a point ...... But for folk like me the team you follow means a great deal and my connection to and devotion to them is utterly unquestionable and I'm willing to bet there are loads of folk out there who would say the same.

HappyAsHellas
24-02-2017, 02:41 PM
Boy I worked beside changed to a yam in the week before the cup final. Made some lame excuse about mates being knuckledraggers so took a massive leap down the evolutionary ladder and got himself a turd coloured scarf as well. If my prayers have been answered his regenerative organs are now entirely dysfunctional as the gene pool is dangerously shallow as it is.

lyonhibs
24-02-2017, 02:46 PM
Boy I worked beside changed to a yam in the week before the cup final. Made some lame excuse about mates being knuckledraggers so took a massive leap down the evolutionary ladder and got himself a turd coloured scarf as well. If my prayers have been answered his regenerative organs are now entirely dysfunctional as the gene pool is dangerously shallow as it is.

Changed to a Yam from what? A Hibs fan??!!

I'm not having that.

HappyAsHellas
24-02-2017, 02:55 PM
Changed to a Yam from what? A Hibs fan??!!

I'm not having that.

I'm afraid you have to have it - he was a Hibby for years, home and away.

steakbake
24-02-2017, 02:57 PM

What a fandan!

Also one of the most yammish things I've read someone do, so I suppose he deserves them and they deserve him!

FilipinoHibs
24-02-2017, 03:06 PM
Old Italian saying you cannnot change two things in your life : your mother or your football team
I will die a Hibee no matter how good or bad we are. I hate all the other big teams in Scotland. I am a Hibee that's what makes me whole, complete and happy.

SteveHFC
24-02-2017, 03:15 PM
A lad i know was a massive Hibee up until very recently and now supports Rangers.

lyonhibs
24-02-2017, 03:18 PM

The week before which cup final? That one or 21.05?

What a day or 2 for scandalous footballing revelations this has been. Ranieri and now this!! :greengrin

neil7908
24-02-2017, 03:21 PM
My dad grew up in Falkirk so naturally was a Falkirk fan as a boy. He moved to Edinburgh for university after finishing school at the time when Turnbulls Tornadoes were at their peak and changed to a Hibs fan after going along to Easter Road a few times. Which is I support Hibs rather than Falkirk!

steakbake
24-02-2017, 03:21 PM
A lad i know was a massive Hibee up until very recently and now supports Rangers.

What!???!?? I'm aghast.

HoboHarry
24-02-2017, 03:28 PM
I grew up in an Aberdeen supporting family and I followed along until they sold Martin Buchan when I was around 8 or 9 and broke my young heart. Hibs evermore after that.........

ErinGoBraghHFC
24-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Know a fair few guys that have supported Celtic and now support Hibs and vice versa.
Personally not for me, don't understand how you could change your favourite team, however I'd always support Celtic against Hearts or the Huns! Also rather see Celtic win the League than Rangers.

Crookie88
24-02-2017, 03:40 PM
As a kid my grandad and uncle would take me to tynecastle between 1996 and 2000 then I started to support hibs as my dad was a hibby and I've never looked back.

Smartie
24-02-2017, 03:40 PM
When I think about it, even when I "supported" Aberdeen there was always a Hibby in me somewhere.

Playing subbuteo, everyone wanted to be Aberdeen or Dundee United so I would always go Hibs.

And around that time I remember getting a Barcelona strip on holiday. All of the Spanish waiters would make "Gary Lineker, Mark Hughes" chat, and we would say "naw, Steve Archibald".

When Archibald then joined Hibs, I always looked out for him and for them after that.

It was a few years later though that I made it official.

It's actually pretty tough changing your team, you get a lot of stick. I've become used to it and don't mind any more but my brother (who also had a fondness for Aberdeen as a youngster) gets really pissed off when any of his mates mention it and he could only have been about 10 when he started following Hibs.

Funnily enough, most of those who gave me the most grief have gone on to change their teams too.

Pete
24-02-2017, 03:41 PM
I know a guy who supported Rangers but then suddenly changed to another Glasgow club. Must have been around 2012.

Smartie
24-02-2017, 03:42 PM
What!???!?? I'm aghast.

At least if you're going to give up on Hibs and follow (follow) another team you should choose one that actually still exists?

Itsnoteasy
24-02-2017, 03:56 PM
Old Italian saying you cannnot change two things in your life : your mother or your football team
I will die a Hibee no matter how good or bad we are. I hate all the other big teams in Scotland. I am a Hibee that's what makes me whole, complete and happy.

IIRC The Italian saying is "You can have as many wives as you want, but you only have 1 fitbaw team"

makaveli1875
24-02-2017, 04:20 PM
i was brought up to be a hun , had a strip but never went to a game . became a hibby at about 8 years old

also have a mate from school that switched from hibs to hearts in the middle of the 22 games in a row

BSEJVT
24-02-2017, 05:02 PM
I don't get that either.

I know someone who goes to both Watford and Arsenal games, just don't get it.

I can quite understand that, some folk just like football

Its quite liberating going to a game you have absolutely no interest in the result of and just enjoying the spectacle and the play and seeing something a bit different.

It only really works like that though if there is no Hibs history with the teams involved, if its bad you want them to lose, if its good you want them to win and then you lose objectivity

I often think that you judge the game and the players less harshly if you aren't invested in the result as you are looking for the good rather than bemoaning the bad

Itsnoteasy
24-02-2017, 05:04 PM

GGTTH

What about the good old days. ER one week TC the following week.

BSEJVT
24-02-2017, 05:07 PM

I am guessing he didn't like you much Matty and saw this as his chance to put the boot in :greengrin

BSEJVT
24-02-2017, 05:16 PM
Interesting thread

I can see some child growing up in a family of supporters of one club changing to another as they became an adult having made their own choice (particularly Rantic once they understood what they were)

Similarly I could see a kid growing up with mates who supported one club changing to another as they became an adult.

I could also just about see someone relocating long term converting over the years.

I cant for the life of me see someone outwith the above unilaterally changing from say Hibs to Hearts or vice versa (although I could see sectarian bams going to Rantic)

IMO if you changed from say Hibs to Hearts or vice versa, you never supported the former and will never support the latter.

CallumLaidlaw
24-02-2017, 05:23 PM
I've done it before. Not for a while, but I've done it several times in big games.

The way I look at it if Hibs win the big game I won't give a **** about my bet, I probably won't even remember I'd put it on. If we get beat in a big game and I win a good few quid out of it, it very slightly takes the edge off the defeat for me. Doesn't make me happy in any way, but I feel very slightly less annoyed about the defeat. Having won money after a defeat also helps me focus on something other than the anger/disappointment I feel at having lost the game.

I have a mate who had £200 on rangers in May. Best money he's ever spent. I always tend to bet against us in big games. Came away with a decent amount in he LC final. Totally forgot about the bet until I was back in Edinburgh. Paid for my drink that night anyway.
I've bet on hearts in both these cup games.

CallumLaidlaw
24-02-2017, 05:27 PM

From the age of 9 to 24 I lived in Crewe but still came up to hibs games regularly. Used to go to the occasional Crewe game but my best mate was a Everton fan so when we were 17/18 I started to go to the odd game at goodison with him. Certainly now my adopted English team and try to get to at least 1 game a season (although it's used as an excuse for a night out in Liverpool) but they don't come close to my passion for hibs.

thorbs
24-02-2017, 05:33 PM
The first ever time I saw football was a New Year Old Firm Derby when I must have been 4 or 5 y/o, my cousin was watching it, he told me the rules and then I asked "Who do we want to win?", he said "Rangers". From then I followed the huns until I left primary school, disappointing my father and grandfather who have been going to Easter Road for years, funnily enough I was only taken to Ibrox probably twice , now I see why.
I was more into playing and following rugby as I reached high school and then found cars and girls and then the pub. When I started watching football around this time I automatically followed Rangers again. They were full of has been's from Europe, coached by PLG and weren't very appealing. Hibs at the time had an awesome young Scottish team (Brown, Thomson, Riordan, O'Connor, Whitaker etc.) and were far more exciting, I think the turning point was Ivan Sproule destroying Rangers in their own back yard and scoring a screamer.
I took my Dad and Grampa to Hibs vs. Aberdeen as a Christmas present in Jan 2006 and was hooked from then, I've called myself a Hibs fan ever since.
I watched the CIS cup final with my dad at home and found it meant more to me than any football game I'd ever seen.
Since then we were there when Hibs were relegated and saw them lose the league cup final last season and I was there on 21/5/16 to see history made. I was on the pitch alongside lifelong Hibees feeling guilty that I hadn't been. Hugging other fans with tears in their eyes brought it on for me as well. That famous rendition of Sunshine on Leith broke my heart and I knew then that I'll be a Hibee 'til I die. My kids will be Hibees too, I'll make sure of it. They're the team I love. The fallout of the Scottish Cup final has actually made me dislike Rangers with more passion than I ever had when I used to support them. I take great delight in reminding my brother-in-law, from Glasgow who is a gers fan of the that fateful day in May last year.
You can change teams.
GGTTH!

HappyAsHellas
24-02-2017, 05:34 PM
The week before which cup final? That one or 21.05?

What a day or 2 for scandalous footballing revelations this has been. Ranieri and now this!! :greengrin

That one

heretoday
24-02-2017, 05:35 PM
I used to support Chelsea when I lived in London early 70s. Otherwise it's Hibs.

hibee_girl
24-02-2017, 06:05 PM
I can quite understand that, some folk just like football

Its quite liberating going to a game you have absolutely no interest in the result of and just enjoying the spectacle and the play and seeing something a bit different.

It only really works like that though if there is no Hibs history with the teams involved, if its bad you want them to lose, if its good you want them to win and then you lose objectivity

I often think that you judge the game and the players less harshly if you aren't invested in the result as you are looking for the good rather than bemoaning the bad

I wasn't talking about a hibs fan going to see these teams, the person I know lives in London and supports Arsenal but also supports Watford.

BigT-Hibeez
24-02-2017, 06:16 PM
My pal was a Hun all through School and after, then I moved to London and lost touch.. Next time I saw him was at a Hibs match in the home end.. He now denies he ever supported them.. Very strange but I forgive him!!!

SJNB Hibby
24-02-2017, 06:19 PM
We moved to Croydon in 1966, and I started going to see Palace regularly around 68.
During the two seasonsw when they went from (old) Div 1 to Divi 3, I was constantly swearing I'd switch allegiance, and was close to supporting QPR---but never got round to
it, and in '74 we moved to Canada.
That's about as close as I've ever come

emerald green
24-02-2017, 06:20 PM

A "massive Hibee". Aye right. :no way:

A massive dingle by the sounds of it.

BSEJVT
24-02-2017, 06:24 PM
I wasn't talking about a hibs fan going to see these teams, the person I know lives in London and supports Arsenal but also supports Watford.

You are correct I cannot understand someone doing that either.

If pushed I would guess he was a Watford fan really but latched onto Arsenal for a glory fix now and again, unlucky!

Keyser Sauzee
24-02-2017, 08:16 PM
I'm surprised to see so many stories about this without actually knowing any myself! Some great stories aswell of how this happens and I can understand why now, although I'll never understand how anyone can leave the Hibees!! Once a Hibby........

atticmonkey
24-02-2017, 08:28 PM
I grew up in a hibs supporting family and have been a hibs supporter ever since, however I find my self supporting any team playing against our neighbours
Lost count of the amount of teams I've supported

SuperAllyMcleod
24-02-2017, 08:35 PM
I knew a guy who supported Hibs until we were both about 18 and then he switched to Celtic 'to win things'.

I saw him a couple of years later just after a Hibs V Celtic match where we had won. I asked him how he felt when Hibs scored and he said he was chuffed. So I asked why he wasn't going to go back to supporting Hibs and he just said 'ah should but am no gonnae'.

That's stuck with me for about 30 years, still can't work it out!

Eyrie
24-02-2017, 09:06 PM
I can understand that it is theoretically possible to change teams but I just can't relate to it on an emotional level. Even when I decided I'd had enough of Hibs and my season ticket, I still kept an eye on "their" results and never thought of following anyone else.

Of course, like an addict who's convinced he can handle it, I eventually cracked and went back although I have resisted the thought of getting a season ticket again.

SuperAllyMcleod
24-02-2017, 09:13 PM
I can understand that it is theoretically possible to change teams but I just can't relate to it on an emotional level. Even when I decided I'd had enough of Hibs and my season ticket, I still kept an eye on "their" results and never thought of following anyone else.

Of course, like an addict who's convinced he can handle it, I eventually cracked and went back although I have resisted the thought of getting a season ticket again.

Go on, buy one, you know you want to. [emoji6]

Iggy Pope
24-02-2017, 09:20 PM
It's more common than most people think. I know a few who have done it and I was a Celtic fan myself until I was 15.

It's hugely uncommon. What age are you now? When I was 15 I changed from T Rex to The Damned. This was before your Netflix and stuff like that but I could never have turned my back on the Hibs. Not possible.

WoreTheGreen
24-02-2017, 09:38 PM
Two things in life you cannot change. Your mother and your fitba team

SuperAllyMcleod
24-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Two things in life you cannot change. Your mother and your fitba team

And your star sign [emoji3]

California-Hibs
24-02-2017, 09:41 PM
It's a very American thing to do. How much it goes on over here is unbelievable. They just don't get it..

WoreTheGreen
24-02-2017, 09:42 PM
And fingerprints

Catch22
24-02-2017, 09:47 PM
I came up to Edinburgh to study. The first game I went to was the yams against the huns, 88 or 89, the after witnessing that bigotfest I didn't go to another game in Scotland until a friend took me to easter road to see a 2-2 draw against St Mirren. So I became a fan in the worst of the Miller years.

WoreTheGreen
24-02-2017, 09:47 PM
D N A Dont No Any think bar Hibs

Eyrie
24-02-2017, 09:48 PM
Go on, buy one, you know you want to. [emoji6]

I have enough trouble with the voices in my head saying that without you encouraging them! :tsk tsk:

But since I can only make it to a few games each year, a season ticket wouldn't be value for money (even to watch Hibs). It does have the upside that I appreciate the games I do get to even more than I would normally.

FilipinoHibs
24-02-2017, 09:50 PM
IIRC The Italian saying is "You can have as many wives as you want, but you only have 1 fitbaw team"

Cant be an old saying as divorce only possible in Italy since 1970!

The Spaceman
24-02-2017, 10:09 PM
I started life off as a Celtic "fan" when I was a kid...was my first ever strip. Had never been to a game though and was not an avid supporter, just my dad half-heartedly glory hunt supported them. My step dad (Hibs fan) took me to my first ever football game aged 10 which was at Easter Road when we beat Dundee 2-1 in the 2002 season...was hooked from that point onwards.

Strangely my first favourite player was Jarko Wiss :greengrin no idea why to this day. Had him on the back of my first ever Hibs strip at Christmas time.

WoreTheGreen
24-02-2017, 10:21 PM
Cant be an old saying as divorce only possible in Italy since 1970!

Nope it's a qoute on a a autobiogrphy famous Italian player who's name escapes me

FilipinoHibs
24-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Nope it's a qoute on a a autobiogrphy famous Italian player who's name escapes me

I believe you are thinking if Cantona's quote about changing wives, religion and politics but not your football team.

Nameless
24-02-2017, 10:43 PM
I have only ever supported one team, and only one team has ever meant so much to me....but....as a child, I "followed" Rangers. My grandpa was a Rangers man, so if asked as a child, I would tell people I liked them. I'd get the odd strip at Christmas, but in all honesty, I was far more interested in English football back then. When I was about 14 I started going to Hibs games with mates at school, and have loved them ever since (Hibs, not my school mates).

FilipinoHibs
24-02-2017, 10:43 PM
I believe you are thinking if Cantona's quote about changing wives, religion and politics but not your football team.

There is a South American version, my dad was Brasilian, which is a fusion of the two :"you can change your wife but not your mother or football team".tea