PDA

View Full Version : If we manage to beat Ayr Utd..

ekhibee
24-02-2017, 02:10 AM
Obviously promotion is our first priority, and quite rightly too. But if we were able to get past Ayr (and on our recent performances against them it could be a hard one), IMO we are more than capable of beating the likes of Aberdeen, Sevco etc. Celtic would be a completely different proposition, but I was just wondering how far others on here think we can go in this years cup competition? I'm not taking for granted that we'll beat Ayr by the way, although we should.

MWHIBBIES
24-02-2017, 02:20 AM
Semi final and promotion would be a really good season imo, I'd like to win it if only to avoid the stupid league cup groups though.

Pete
24-02-2017, 02:53 AM
Not bothered about anyone apart from Celtic. Aberdeen and maybe Rangers could cause us problems but nothing we can't manage.

I've a funny feeling about Partick Thistle this year and can see them playing Celtic in the final fir some reason.

Austinho
24-02-2017, 02:59 AM
We beat both Rangers and Aberdeen in the cup last year and added a bit more steel in the process. No reason we can't raise our game again, and I think the underdog tag suits us. Both of them would be under pressure to beat us at Hampden.

If someone can take care of Celtic, I have every faith we could do it again. Don't fancy our chances against them this season, but you never know.

Hibs07p
24-02-2017, 04:57 AM
If we do get to hampden again it will be about 7 or 8 times we've been back since we "died", I think.

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Winners 2016

Glory Lurker
24-02-2017, 07:40 AM
If we do get to hampden again it will be about 7 or 8 times we've been back since we "died", I think.

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Winners 2016

That's easily explained, though. We did die. They killed us stone dead, there and then. And now our hobo ghost is condemned to haunt Hampden, terrifying defences that see it, and making the silverware rise in the air, for years to come. Dead, dead, dead, dead. Ah, but, 5-1.

we are hibs
24-02-2017, 08:02 AM
We must've been at hampden more times this decade than anyone else out with Celtic?

Id love it if we get through and get rangers.

pitch invasion if we win? :wink:

ian cruise
24-02-2017, 08:17 AM
Only team I wouldn't feel confident against is Celtic. Certainly not afraid of facing Rangers away, especially on their current form. Equally we have the ability to lose to any other team in the league above us. Promotion is the main focus, it has to be, but I don't see why we can't get by Ayr and back to Hampden. After that then it's wait and see time.

Craig_in_Prague
24-02-2017, 08:28 AM
We beat Aberdeen last season when they were in top form, we also beat them at Hampden last time (wish we hadn't lol).
Rangers, well, say no more :)
As for Celtic, wouldn't mind a crack at them in the final, when you see the intensity of last night - and we have quality too in McGinn, Cummings etc, we could surprise them and win on the day, don't see why not - despite the fact it would be a really tough ask. Last season's SC win means the players can relax and enjoy it all from now, which again can only help and increase our chances.

So, here we go, 2 in a row :)))

ShinyFantastic
24-02-2017, 08:49 AM
There is no reason why we can't do it. All it takes is us beating Ayr united to get to Hampden. If we avoid the old firm and they get drawn against each other as usual, we all know what could happen...

Newry Hibs
24-02-2017, 08:50 AM
Not wanting to tempt fate - but I'm at a stag do on semi final weekend and the wedding is on final day!:boo hoo:

heid the baw
24-02-2017, 08:59 AM
I take the view that whilst Celtic have been on this record breaking domestic undefeated run, the main reason for it is that they have not had to play the Mighty Cabbage.
Ludicrous optimism is the key here.

EH54
24-02-2017, 09:01 AM
I can't see anyone this year beating Celtic but would be nice for another trip back to Hampden. Promotion is key but for as long as we are still in this cup i don't want to let go of it. Would take anyone in the semi finals. probably more chance of beating Celtic at that stage than the final.

easty
24-02-2017, 09:02 AM
Not wanting to tempt fate - but I'm at a stag do on semi final weekend and the wedding is on final day!:boo hoo:

It's no your wedding.

Tell them you'll go to their next one.

Newry Hibs
24-02-2017, 09:04 AM
It's no your wedding.

Tell them you'll go to their next one.

It is his second actually, so hmmm ......

hibby6270
24-02-2017, 09:28 AM

Bad planning. Clearly not someone who follows Scottish football. :wink:

JDHibs
24-02-2017, 09:31 AM
The semi final line up "should" be Celtic, Us, Aberdeen & Rangers.

If we avoid Celtic, i feel we can match if not better the other 2 on our day. Lets face it, Hearts demolished the Huns,yet couldnt beat us over 2 legs. Aberdeen seem to be hot and cold this season, Hammer motherwell then struggle against Killie.

Another final and promotion would definitely be a good season.

Unfortunately i dont see anyone beating Celtic and stopping the domestic treble. Too strong all over the park.

FC Leige
24-02-2017, 09:33 AM
The important thing is we haven't just meekly surrendered the cup like Hearts did to us when they last won it. The chances are we wont get past the semi but at least we can go out with our heads held high

Baw187
24-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Am I correct in saying that the only PL team to beat us since we went down is Ross County?

Typically that would be in a final mind you.

Craig_HFC
24-02-2017, 09:39 AM
Am I correct in saying that the only PL team to beat us since we went down is Ross County?

Typically that would be in a final mind you.

Dundee Utd beat us on penalties in the League Cup in the first season after we went down.

Baw187
24-02-2017, 09:41 AM
Dundee Utd beat us on penalties in the League Cup in the first season after we went down.

I don't count defeats by penalties. That's a draw in my view! [emoji16]

Callyballybe
24-02-2017, 09:45 AM
A semi final place and promotion would be a great season. We've had quite a few trips to hampden the past 10 years or so and long may it continue.

Bit extra cash for the club and along with the promotion that we absolutely need.

Anything after the semi would be a bonus. Playing like we did on Wednesday, we're definitely capable of getting past Aberdeen or The Rangers - but at the same time, they'd probably fancy us over each other/Celtic.

Getting The Rangers at any stage at Hampden would be absolutely brilliant...

EH54
24-02-2017, 09:48 AM
@Callyballybe (http://www.hibs.net/member.php?32318-Callyballybe)

Getting rangers at Hampden would turn ugly I think.

Newry Hibs
24-02-2017, 09:55 AM
I think we'll get Hamilton in the semi and Aberdeen in the final.

24-02-2017, 12:12 PM
Going back to Hampden yet again would be brilliant, these days out are what you live for as a fan and i'm sure the players will be desperate to get back there again after what they experienced last season. Being completely honest though, I can't see anybody getting past this celtic team. Not trying to be defeatist or negative, just realist. They have a team that is just so far ahead of everybody else at the moment and are sweeping teams aside weekly. If they weren't to win the Scottish cup this year I would be very surprised.

But hey ho, stranger things have happened and you have to be in it to win it after all :flag:

Callyballybe
24-02-2017, 12:25 PM
@Callyballybe (http://www.hibs.net/member.php?32318-Callyballybe)

Getting rangers at Hampden would turn ugly I think.

Of course it has the potential too, but I'd say security in and around the stadium would be so high that there would be absolutely no chance of a repeat of last year.

In my opinion what you'd have is two halves of the stadium on their feet singing/shouting at each other for the full 90 mins (I expect The Rangers would at least 'join in' on the singing this time round without leaving us to do it like last May.)

As a result of that, the atmosphere would be beyond electric.

ian cruise
24-02-2017, 12:37 PM
Of course it has the potential too, but I'd say security in and around the stadium would be so high that there would be absolutely no chance of a repeat of last year.

In my opinion what you'd have is two halves of the stadium on their feet singing/shouting at each other for the full 90 mins (I expect The Rangers would at least 'join in' on the singing this time round without leaving us to do it like last May.)

As a result of that, the atmosphere would be beyond electric.

It will 100% be ugly but I'd prefer the first post Scottish cup final meeting to be at Hampden rather that ER (which they'd wreck) or Ibrox (treatment of our fans was bad enough as it was). Agree security will be as high as a presidential visit. I just hope our fans take the high ground and don't get dragged down to their level, I fear though there will be idiots on both sides that will incite trouble, along with folks with no affiliation just there for the scrap.

Callyballybe
24-02-2017, 01:01 PM
It will 100% be ugly but I'd prefer the first post Scottish cup final meeting to be at Hampden rather that ER (which they'd wreck) or Ibrox (treatment of our fans was bad enough as it was). Agree security will be as high as a presidential visit. I just hope our fans take the high ground and don't get dragged down to their level, I fear though there will be idiots on both sides that will incite trouble, along with folks with no affiliation just there for the scrap.

Hampden would definitely be the best place for both teams to meet again - especially in a Scottish cup semi (or final dare I say.)

There would absolutely be no love lost between the teams, which is why the stadium would be a cauldron of noise and hysteria. But like I said, there'd be little chance of the fans getting on the field/near each other in or around the stadium. Further afield than that, we'd just have to hope that the 'idiot' factor from both sets of fans don't go wandering, or cause trouble amongst themselves.

I'd also say a game like that, with the needle between both teams at the moment, would attract quite a bit of televised interest at home and possibly further afield than that. (Although I may have forgotten to take off my green tinted glasses there...)

MyJo
24-02-2017, 01:04 PM
I'd like us to get to the final for no other reason than we could sing

"We've no won the big cup since this time last year" :greengrin

SlickShoes
24-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Assuming we can get past Ayr and our league form picks up a bit I want rangers in the semi final, I hate them more than any other team and would love to defeat them again. I think it's all set up for either us or Celtic to play rangers in the semi.

Saying that they still have to beat Hamilton.

Callyballybe
24-02-2017, 01:12 PM
I'd like us to get to the final for no other reason than we could sing

"We've no won the big cup since this time last year" :greegrin

Ha, that'd be a belter to sing! :agree:

Springbank
24-02-2017, 01:19 PM
I've a sneaky suspicion the final this year will be

Hibs v Aberdeen

hibbysam
24-02-2017, 01:19 PM
16/1 on Hibs to win the trophy again. Each way is half the odds if you make the final, so basically 8/1 to see off ayr and take your chance in the semi. Definitely worth £10 each way.

KWJ
24-02-2017, 01:36 PM
I'd like Rangers, assuming they get through, in the semi - that'd make it a bit of a must win which I think we could.

And then in the final against Celtic, who knows what could happen.

Sean1875
24-02-2017, 05:57 PM
Winning the league and another trip to Hampden if offered at the start of the season id have bitten your hand off for - just hope the boys can get the job done :aok::flag:

NAE NOOKIE
24-02-2017, 06:35 PM
On the presumption that it would be Hibs, Aberdeen, Sevco and Celtic in the semis I would give us a 50/50 chance of making the final if we were drawn against Sevco or Aberdeen, a lot less if we drew Celtic.

Aberdeen are a decent team but were mince in the League cup final and their determination to make amends would be a factor ... a bit like us last season.

Sevco make no mistake would be up for the game hugely, no matter who the manager might be, they would be desperate for revenge for last season, not to mention denying Celtic the treble, and that would make for a tough game, no matter what their form is.

Celtic ...... That would be a really fascinating match up, it would be interesting to see what our approach was. Would we try to stifle the game and hope to get the breaks, or would we go brave and go all out toe to toe with them playing two wingers and an attacking midfield.
Celtic are used to battering away at ultra defensive formations and have clearly figured out the way to overcome such situations, but how many teams go for it against them? Yes they are prepared for that in Europe, but if Hibs kept the team close to their chest pre match I think we could catch the Sellik with their tactical pants down .... the not unjustifiable confidence of that club in the fear factor they generate domestically would certainly mean they load their starting line up and bench with attack minded players.

If you ask me Hibs would be in a no lose situation, everybody but the most super optimist would expect us to lose the game anyway, so why not come out all guns blazing with a high octane first half Blitzkrieg in the hope that we catch Celtic totally off guard ..... if it doesn't work so what, at least we would get plaudits for not bricking it like practically every other team in Scotland :greengrin

For me that should be our attitude in a semi against them, even more so if we were to meet in the final.

calumhibee1
24-02-2017, 07:20 PM
We've every bit as good a chance as Aberdeen and Rangers. Celtic would be a big ask, but having such a solid defence always gives us half a chance.

jockodile
24-02-2017, 10:45 PM
Absolutely correct Hibs are in almost a no lose situation in the cup this year. Only a hammering in the final by Sevco to avenge last year would be a choking outcome.

As it is a win against Ayr and we reach semis against likely the 3 top sides in SPL where we will be underdogs, esp against Celtic. The 4 semi finalists share gate receipts so a nice pay day if it is (unlikely) an Old firm semi final.

Even if we lost out to Ayr it would not be a disaster, we have a more important priority this season.

I would not be surprised at a Celtic Hibs final reminiscent of 2013. The difference this time would be no pressure at all on us. How great it is to have that King Kong sized monkey off our backs

JackLadd
24-02-2017, 10:56 PM
I wouldn't rule out Hamilton doing Sevco, maybe via replay.

Bay Area Hibees
25-02-2017, 04:16 AM
Our injuries are key here I think given league and cup games.
Love to get hanlon back, worried to read here he may be out for season.
That said we get past the big hurdle. All upside form here.

Keith_M
25-02-2017, 08:47 AM
I think beating Ayr will be a tough enough task, given some of our displays against them this season.

Hibernian Verse
25-02-2017, 09:12 AM
I just want to be able to sing "Here we go, two in a row" for as long as possible. And then "three in a row", then "four". You catch my drift.

:flag:

Craig_in_Prague
25-02-2017, 09:55 AM
Our injuries are key here I think given league and cup games.
Love to get hanlon back, worried to read here he may be out for season.
That said we get past the big hurdle. All upside form here.

Lennon said during his pre match interview than Hanlon has a set back (nerve problem), but should be back out training and running next week. Same with Foster.
Humphrey min 2 weeks out.
Dylan groin not right yet (shock),
Handling back training.

Squad getting a bit thin, but Paul should be back soon and so long as we're solid at the back then the league and cup double is a possibility.

Johnny Clash
25-02-2017, 10:52 AM
Not taking anything for granted as we will have two hard games to get through but a return to Hamden for the final would be fantastic.

If we face Celtic in final then all the pressure will be on them. Their fans and players will no doubt be confident but there will also be a bit uncertainty as they've not played us and they know we have the potential to cause an upset. If they play Hendo Leigh and Broony then it would sure add another dimension to an incredible day. I'm sure they'd stay on the pitch with their runners up medals to sing Sunshine on Leith with us!

Celtic fans are fully aware of Neil Lennon's capabilities and they all highly rate him. Lennon wants to win every game but I think he'd really relish the prospect of beating Celtic in the final.

The BIG thing is that the Hibs support will be unreal on the day. 'Just another final' for the Celtic support but for us it is the culmination of a dream like period. I don't think they'll match us in our Hampden exuberance and that could well make the difference!

Galahibby
25-02-2017, 10:53 AM
I'd fancy our chances against Celtic if we can sort out tickets in our end for Leigh, Hendo and Broonie :wink:

Blocks Biloxi
25-02-2017, 10:55 AM

Same!

Borderhibbie76
25-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Not taking anything for granted as we will have two hard games to get through but a return to Hamden for the final would be fantastic.

If we face Celtic in final then all the pressure will be on them. Their fans and players will no doubt be confident but there will also be a bit uncertainty as they've not played us and they know we have the potential to cause an upset. If they play Hendo Leigh and Broony then it would sure add another dimension to an incredible day. I'm sure they'd stay on the pitch with their runners up medals to sing Sunshine on Leith with us!

Celtic fans are fully aware of Neil Lennon's capabilities and they all highly rate him. Lennon wants to win every game but I think he'd really relish the prospect of beating Celtic in the final.

The BIG thing is that the Hibs support will be unreal on the day. 'Just another final' for the Celtic support but for us it is the culmination of a dream like period. I don't think they'll match us in our Hampden exuberance and that could well make the difference!
Let's just get past Ayr first mate...let's no get carried away as we've been here so many times before

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

GreenCastle
25-02-2017, 12:07 PM
Delete this thread..cringe.

Ayr will be very tricky and this thread is a team talk for them if their players or mangers see it.