PDA

View Full Version : Marathon Bet

Navids Numpties
23-02-2017, 01:58 PM
What does everyone think of them? Also what is our deal with them? I might be wrong but I think it ends at the end of this season. Personally I love them. Do their bit for Hibs re paying for the supporters busses always bigging us up on twitter and stuff. I think it would be great if we got another contract with them. They're not like most other sponsors who just sponsor the team for advertisement it seems like they actually care about us.

hibeg
23-02-2017, 03:00 PM
At the Ayr game in the concourse a young Marathon Bet employee asked for a minute of our time.

Wanted to know what more his company could do to intigrate with Hibs. Appeared as if he was genuinely interested in the partnership and was there to take feedback to his bosses

I was impressed as I don't really expect that from a sponsor.

They are also tied in with Man U and Malaga.

Long may the partnership continue

.Sean.
23-02-2017, 03:29 PM
On the subject of betting, was anyone else in the East refused when they tried to put a bet on? I tried about ten mins before kick off but the boy said he wasn't taking it? I couldn't be arsed arguing with him so I left it but believe it or I was wanting a fiver in Cummings anytime and 3-1, had the slip filled out the lot. Gutted :boo hoo:

brog
23-02-2017, 03:50 PM
What does everyone think of them? Also what is our deal with them? I might be wrong but I think it ends at the end of this season. Personally I love them. Do their bit for Hibs re paying for the supporters busses always bigging us up on twitter and stuff. I think it would be great if we got another contract with them. They're not like most other sponsors who just sponsor the team for advertisement it seems like they actually care about us.

They were heavily involved in promoting our recent London Hibs Burns Night & they could not have been more helpful & imaginative in helping make it a great occasion. Truly excellent sponsors.

Onceinawhile
23-02-2017, 03:58 PM
In terms of sponsors they do a good job.

Would rather we weren't sponsored by a gambling firm or an alcoholic beverage, but I doubt we have much choice.

I'd imagine Tom zanelli is one of the reasons they seem to care so much.

Northernhibee
23-02-2017, 04:19 PM
I hate how gambling companies appear to be all cuddly and friendly when in fact they likely just want your money, irrelevant of how much you actually have or if you can help yourself. The worst ones are the shops with the betting terminals, so at least Marathon Bet aren't on that level.

Would rather we had a different sponsor.

danhibees1875
23-02-2017, 05:06 PM
I hate how gambling companies appear to be all cuddly and friendly when in fact they likely just want your money, irrelevant of how much you actually have or if you can help yourself. The worst ones are the shops with the betting terminals, so at least Marathon Bet aren't on that level.

Businesses generally just want your money though?
Although I agree, gambling firms are probably more reckless in the way they go about things.

I remember they done a "competition" between Stevenson, Gray and Holt. Holt was the winner and picked a celebration that everytime he done after scoring would net a charity £500?

I think the celebration choice went to a vote - I can't remember which won, but Holt managed 2 of the 3 last night (incredible Holt and a dab) - I assumed they'd be all over that PR by this morning.

Austinho
23-02-2017, 05:40 PM
Their logo looks bloody great on our shirts - I hope they stick around.

wookie70
23-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Sponsorship is meant to be mutually beneficial. They have done very well out of Hibs considering the massive TV games and the Cup win but to be fair they seem to do more than just stick their logo on our shirts. Not particularly happy with a gambling or alcohol firm being a sponsor but we probably aren't in a position to be too choosy. I would be happy enough if we signed with them again as at least you know what you are getting.

Alex Trager
23-02-2017, 06:17 PM

Like all businesses surely mate?

SaulGoodman
23-02-2017, 06:21 PM
They just donated £500 to the Hibs community foundation(?) after Holts celebration last night.

SlickShoes
23-02-2017, 06:23 PM
They let me play on the pitch and score a goal on the weekend of the cup final with the team that was about to go on and win the cup watching us play, so for me they can stick around for as long as they like.

MWHIBBIES
23-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Buses to Morton, Santa hats and the glasses for the London Hibs party. Really nice things that they didn't need to do.

Pretty Boy
23-02-2017, 06:43 PM
Scottish football can't be too picky. There's not a lot of people wanting to plough money in.

Marathon Bet have shown willing and are keen to engage with the fans. As with anything else gambling is about personal responsibility to a certain extent.

Northernhibee
23-02-2017, 06:48 PM

A relative of mine lost their business and home through a gambling problem after a bereavement, long before the days of online bookies. It would have been blatantly obvious with the amounts he was gambling at one time that this had gone from a bit of fun to a seirous problem. They still took his money quite happily.

All business is there to make money, it's just that the gambling industry really don't do that responsibily in a lot of cases. Watch the Panorama special on fixed odds betting terminals. Not everyone who puts a few quid on an accumulator at the weekend becomes an addict but there needs to be far, far more responsibility taken by the gambling industry to assist those with an issue and to identify them, not just the token gesture of putting "If the fun stops, stop" at the bottom of their posters.

I don't buy all of the fluffy, pally banter from the industry in general. It's designed to make them look harmless and matey.

Eaststandee
23-02-2017, 06:54 PM
The Santa hats at Tannadice were a great touch from them as well.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

TRC
23-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Gambling addiction is a tough one people don't see it in the same light as alcohol or drugs but it's every bit as dangerous (not health wise but it can affect that as well) I've still no problem with them sponsoring the team

Alex Trager
23-02-2017, 07:32 PM
A relative of mine lost their business and home through a gambling problem after a bereavement, long before the days of online bookies. It would have been blatantly obvious with the amounts he was gambling at one time that this had gone from a bit of fun to a seirous problem. They still took his money quite happily.

All business is there to make money, it's just that the gambling industry really don't do that responsibily in a lot of cases. Watch the Panorama special on fixed odds betting terminals. Not everyone who puts a few quid on an accumulator at the weekend becomes an addict but there needs to be far, far more responsibility taken by the gambling industry to assist those with an issue and to identify them, not just the token gesture of putting "If the fun stops, stop" at the bottom of their posters.

I don't buy all of the fluffy, pally banter from the industry in general. It's designed to make them look harmless and matey.

Totally agree with the fixed odd terminals. I stay well away personally.

What about the booze industry? Aren't they the same?

Business that reach that scale in general is *****. Totally run the world

All addiction is horrible sorry to hear about your relative.

BS44
23-02-2017, 07:39 PM
Don't think the prices we get in the stadium are particularly good compared to online or bookies on the street

BlackSheep
24-02-2017, 04:28 AM
A common theme with many many hibs fans seems to be short term memory loss....

While Marathonbet are playing the involved sponsor and making all the right moves currently to swoon all these positive comments, are many of you forgetting that in the summer part of the delay for our. Ew strips being released was down to Marathonbet stalling on renewing/extending their sponsorship with the club.... like a few have said it's business, not loyalty.

Remember the old gambling saying 'the house always wins'.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Nobody is being forced to gamble just 'cos their name is on front of our strip.

High-On-Hibs
24-02-2017, 01:33 PM

True. But most businesses aren't there to sell you misery. Gambling firms want you to be miserable, as it means you'll gamble more, creating a vicious cycle. But I suppose you could say the same thing about pubs.

High-On-Hibs
24-02-2017, 01:35 PM
Nobody is being forced to gamble just 'cos their name is on front of our strip.

Nobody was "forced" to take up smoking in the 20th century. But the media sure as hell made sure that people wanted to smoke. It's no different now with the constant gambling propaganda being rammed down our throats when we just want to watch some footie or darts on the tele.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-02-2017, 01:40 PM
I'll have a punt when I want to have a punt, not 'cos Marathonbet are our sponsors or 'cos there are bookies adverts on tv.

hibeg
24-02-2017, 04:52 PM
I think we should be thankful we appear to have a pro active sponsor. I know you usually get nothing for nothing but I am happy with their involvement with our club

Pete
24-02-2017, 05:08 PM
Nobody was "forced" to take up smoking in the 20th century. But the media sure as hell made sure that people wanted to smoke. It's no different now with the constant gambling propaganda being rammed down our throats when we just want to watch some footie or darts on the tele.

The difference is that gambling and alcohol can be enjoyed in moderation while smoking can't without effecting your health.

Where do you draw the line?

What about food outlets that sell unhealthy food?

Supermarkets that screw dairy farmers to within an inch of their lives?

Billion dollar companies that pay zero tax?

Investment companies that contribute to the housing crisis and finance these predatory tech companies who profit from the casualisation of certain industries?

:dunno:

Killiehibbie
24-02-2017, 05:10 PM
Don't think the prices we get in the stadium are particularly good compared to online or bookies on the street
Anybody thinking about having a bet should have an odds comparison site on their phone.