PDA

View Full Version : Ayr Quarter Final

23-02-2017, 12:33 PM
So after teaching our vile, charity robbing neighbours a lesson last night, it's onto the quarter-final (yes I know now the focus turns back to winning the league but we can discuss that on other threads :wink:). Ayr have been a bogey team for us, we've been taught a lesson not to take them lightly. A big chance to get ourselves yet another trip to hampden though. Obviously I don't want the cup to become a distraction and for players to get all starry eyed about the prospect of having another crack at the cup at hampden and take their eye off the ball in league duty but as a fan these are the occasions you want in your season.

Lets get another packed ER :flag:

JimBHibees
23-02-2017, 12:50 PM
So after teaching our vile, charity robbing neighbours a lesson last night, it's onto the quarter-final (yes I know now the focus turns back to winning the league but we can discuss that on other threads :wink:). Ayr have been a bogey team for us, we've been taught a lesson not to take them lightly. A big chance to get ourselves yet another trip to hampden though. Obviously I don't want the cup to become a distraction and for players to get all starry eyed about the prospect of having another crack at the cup at hampden and take their eye off the ball in league duty but as a fan these are the occasions you want in your season.

Lets get another packed ER :flag:

Think it will be close to a sell out given it is 3pm on the Saturday and not on tv.

The_Exile
23-02-2017, 12:54 PM
This is usually where we come unstuck, do all the hard work and then slip up when we're expected to triumph, a real acid test for us this one and not to be taken lightly.

Oscar T Grouch
23-02-2017, 12:57 PM
Let hope we can beat them, I think unless Hanlon and Foster are back in time we will have one CB that can play.

23-02-2017, 01:02 PM
This is usually where we come unstuck, do all the hard work and then slip up when we're expected to triumph, a real acid test for us this one and not to be taken lightly.

100%, as I mentioned in the OP Ayr have proven to be a bit of a thorn in our side, every team has a bogey team and Ayr have been ours this season, disrespect them or take them lightly at our peril.

Most of our team played in our cup run last year and i'm sure will be desperate to get back to hampden again. In complete honesty I can't see anyone other than celtic winning it, they're unstoppable at the moment and a country mile ahead of any other team but days out to hampden are the type of occasions you live for. I'd be delighted if we got the chance to go back.

wookie70
23-02-2017, 01:12 PM
Massive opportunity. The Cup Runs have really been amazing in the last 5 years. Yes we have had horrendous results but we have been to 4 league and Scottish Cup Finals, 5 League and Scottish Cup Semis and 9 Quarters.

The Cups have kept us going emotionally and presumable financially through some terrible league campaigns. If we can get past Ayr then it will be another Hampden sell out to combine with big crowds again Hearts twice, Bonnyrigg Rose and of course Ayr. That could see some substantial and needed investment in the squad for next year's, hopefully, Premiership squad.

23-02-2017, 01:23 PM
Massive opportunity. The Cup Runs have really been amazing in the last 5 years. Yes we have had horrendous results but we have been to 4 league and Scottish Cup Finals, 5 League and Scottish Cup Semis and 9 Quarters.

The Cups have kept us going emotionally and presumable financially through some terrible league campaigns. If we can get past Ayr then it will be another Hampden sell out to combine with big crowds again Hearts twice, Bonnyrigg Rose and of course Ayr. That could see some substantial and needed investment in the squad for next year's, hopefully, Premiership squad.

The financial gain has been huge. The cup finals and the cup win last year dug us out what would have been a big hole. We didn't receive a parachute payment this season but the cup final winners money, the selling of winners merchandise, pictures with the cup, a huge boost in people signing up for season tickets etc. gave us a massive help.

SuperAllyMcleod
23-02-2017, 02:05 PM
I don't buy this bogey team theory - we lost to them at ER after Bartley was incorrectly sent off - up to that point they never left their own half.

As for the recent draw, they scored early and had something to hold on to for over 80 minutes - they rarely threatened after that.

We just need to be up and at them for 90 mins and we will be fine.

JimBHibees
23-02-2017, 02:12 PM
I don't buy this bogey team theory - we lost to them at ER after Bartley was incorrectly sent off - up to that point they never left their own half.

As for the recent draw, they scored early and had something to hold on to for over 80 minutes - they rarely threatened after that.

Couldnt agree more. Actually may not be a bad thing not having beaten them at home this year as it proves we need to be at it to win and should remove any complacency.

hibsbollah
23-02-2017, 02:24 PM
If we get past Ayr, we will probably have to navigate two of Aberdeen, Rangers and Celtic to retain the trophy.

A massive ask.

cabbageandribs1875
23-02-2017, 02:25 PM
a total of 8 SC ties with Ayr over the years, 7 wins for hibs and one win for Ayr..that win coming after a replay in 2011 after a 0-0 at ER

jgl07
23-02-2017, 02:31 PM

And Hibs won 3-0 away to them.

.Sean.
23-02-2017, 02:31 PM
Wonder when the tickets will go on sale

Brightside
23-02-2017, 02:33 PM
If we get past Ayr, we will probably have to navigate two of Aberdeen, Rangers and Celtic to retain the trophy.

A massive ask.

or more than likely Hamilton.

Andy74
23-02-2017, 02:37 PM

A massive ask.

It's a free shot at that stage.

We've navigated not having our run ended by Hearts.

We've now got a winnable home tie to get to a stage where decent money could be made. Anything semi onwards is a nice to win but really doesn't matter too much if we don't.

houstonhibbee
23-02-2017, 07:38 PM

A massive ask.
we beat the cup holders Inverness, a goodish Dundee Utd side and The rangers last year after beating Hearts so that wasn't so easy.

I don't think there's an easy way to win it - or retain it for that matter.

I assume celtic were the last team to retain it?

Billy Whizz
23-02-2017, 07:40 PM

Probably Monday. Will want to maximise Saturdays sales 1st

Joe6-2
23-02-2017, 07:43 PM

What hard work? 😂😂😂

houstonhibbee
23-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Probably Monday. Will want to maximise Saturdays sales 1st
hopefully they will split the south stand this time and give half to home supporters. Ayr won't need more than half the stand.

hibbymac
23-02-2017, 07:44 PM

Should be soon, considering they started printing them at half time last night :duck: :thumbsup:

Deansy
23-02-2017, 07:46 PM

Yup - agree totally !

greenlex
23-02-2017, 07:49 PM
I have no doubt whatsoever we will dispose of Ayr Utd on the day. As the OP alluded to it's the league we need to be getting the performances right at least until it's tied up. I've said before and I'll say again the Cup is a distraction. That's a fixture getting moved to mid week to accommodate it now as will presumably thesemi final date. This is a backlog that will need managed properly by all involved both physically and phsycologically.

Spike Mandela
23-02-2017, 07:54 PM
Two big games to go before the cup game.

Who know what injuries or suspensions will occur? Who knows which injured players might return? Who knows which players the manager might rest or which fringe players will get a run out? Who knows how Ayr will be affected with similar issues?

Let's worry about the cup game when the two league games are over.

SirDavidsNapper
23-02-2017, 07:59 PM
Law of averages would say we're bound to beat Ayr at home this time. Wasn't too concerned about the cup this year but if we get to semi, with the experience and momentum we have, we have a great chance.

High-On-Hibs
23-02-2017, 08:19 PM
They'll undoubtedly park the bus again. So it's important that we hold onto the ball and knock it around in order to draw them out before attacking. If we just keep trying to press press press as quickly as possible, we will have another frustrating 90 minutes trying to break them down. Lennon needs to show that he has a plan B against teams who will play this way against us.

HibsNutter
23-02-2017, 08:23 PM
May as well have another right go at the Cup now, only three more games max and the final should be well after the league campaign has finished(?). It didn't do Rangers much good last year, maybe we should mess up the league and go up by the play-offs for match practice.

Billy Whizz
23-02-2017, 09:01 PM
hopefully they will split the south stand this time and give half to home supporters. Ayr won't need more than half the stand.

Good suggestion.

Mantis Toboggan
23-02-2017, 09:02 PM
Good suggestion.

Do we not have to give up a minimum allocation in cup games though?

Hibs Class
23-02-2017, 09:05 PM
Should be soon, considering they started printing them at half time last night :duck: :thumbsup:

:tee hee:

Dashing Bob S
23-02-2017, 09:06 PM
With another trip to Hampden at stake, this might be the time to think about splitting the South for home fans.

Dashing Bob S
23-02-2017, 09:07 PM

Whoops - sorry, didn't see post. Yes, let's hope so.

Billy Whizz
23-02-2017, 09:10 PM
Do we not have to give up a minimum allocation in cup games though?

We do, but can't see Ayr wanting almost 4,000.

houstonhibbee
23-02-2017, 09:26 PM
We do, but can't see Ayr wanting almost 4,000.
I think we would have to give them the whole south stand if they asked for it but as its unlikely they will fill more than half the may accept half leaving us free to sell the other half. Could add a couple of thousand of which Ayr would get half the money?

Hibernia&Alba
23-02-2017, 09:29 PM
As long as we avoid Celtc, we have a decent chance. I'm not taking Ayr for granted, but it's a tie we should be winning.

23-02-2017, 09:37 PM
I have no doubt whatsoever we will dispose of Ayr Utd on the day. As the OP alluded to it's the league we need to be getting the performances right at least until it's tied up. I've said before and I'll say again the Cup is a distraction. That's a fixture getting moved to mid week to accommodate it now as will presumably thesemi final date. This is a backlog that will need managed properly by all involved both physically and phsycologically.

True, but Lennon will know better than most how to best go about organising and coping with a tight fixture list. When he was at celtic most of the time they were going for the league (as then they weren't as streets ahead as they are now) as well as having domestic cup fixtures AND european fixtures.

FromTheCapital
23-02-2017, 09:49 PM
Think our 3 stands will be pretty much packed :aok:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonny
23-02-2017, 10:00 PM
I'm considering taking the gallery hospitality package for this game. My old man and I usually go once every season but I've had the kids at every game this year so not had the opportunity.
I went online to price it for a regular league game and was surprised to find the option gone as it's completely sold out for the rest of the season!
Does anyone know how much it costs this year?

Jim44
23-02-2017, 10:19 PM

A massive ask.

I've got a funny feeling that one of that three will bite the dust in the quarters.

greenlex
25-02-2017, 09:09 PM
Well one down and one to go before the Ayr game. Not too great so far on the Physical and phsycological front. Tired and riddled with poor decisions today all over the park. 3 points on Wednesday is no given. At least one more midweek game to come too.

Spike Mandela
26-02-2017, 01:39 AM
Two big games to go before the cup game.

Who know what injuries or suspensions will occur? Who knows which injured players might return? Who knows which players the manager might rest or which fringe players will get a run out? Who knows how Ayr will be affected with similar issues?

Let's worry about the cup game when the two league games are over.

Feel this is even more relevant after yesterday's game.