PDA

View Full Version : Thank you James McPake

Saint Hibee
23-02-2017, 01:00 PM
It seems that the aftermath of the 2012 result that was supposed to "end us as a club" was actually the starting point for what is now our derby dominance and outright ownership of Hearts. But to my mind the precise moment at which this shift occurred was the interview when James McPake said something like "they will never, ever walk all over us again" that marked a real change of attitude. For sure, we haven't won every game against them since then, and I'm obviously not claiming that last night is down to him, but I do think that that was a turning point, when our captain said enough was enough. So here's to you James McPake!

KWJ
23-02-2017, 01:05 PM
Maybe not the best player we've ever seen but he had the heart for it and that's definitely running through the side now.

Smartie
23-02-2017, 01:06 PM
Hmmmm, controversial.

In my opinion, the 5-1 cup final doesn't hit the mark with me. They were a bloated, cheating mess and the results of games during that era should practically be struck from the record.

What pisses me off far more were the results in the derbies during our relegation season. That was the season they were relegated whilst playing their kids and in all honesty they were the first results during the "post-financial doping, level playing field" years and to be fair to Hearts they got the upper hand on us.

McPake was still around during that grim period, and of all the derbies we've lost they're probably the ones that rankle with me most.

So whilst I appreciate the sentiment, I think you're about a year out.

I think the time the mentality of our club changed was when LD walked through the door. Everything else followed from there.

cleanyman
23-02-2017, 01:08 PM
We have a massive opportunity here

7 in a row. We could really put our foot on their throats. Hearts have had similar runs over the years with 11,12 and 13 games at a time unbeaten and its kicked the stuffing out of us.

Keep it up my bonny boys

Northernhibee
23-02-2017, 01:11 PM
It changed in the Dempster/Craig/Stubbs/Taff/Doolan era. Five people determined to be victorious and you can see the difference.

Centre Hawf
23-02-2017, 01:16 PM
James McPake never beat Hearts when with us. The turning point was Hanlons goal and always will be.

Dashing Bob S
23-02-2017, 01:31 PM
Hmmmm, controversial.

In my opinion, the 5-1 cup final doesn't hit the mark with me. They were a bloated, cheating mess and the results of games during that era should practically be struck from the record.

What pisses me off far more were the results in the derbies during our relegation season. That was the season they were relegated whilst playing their kids and in all honesty they were the first results during the "post-financial doping, level playing field" years and to be fair to Hearts they got the upper hand on us.

McPake was still around during that grim period, and of all the derbies we've lost they're probably the ones that rankle with me most.

I think the time the mentality of our club changed was when LD walked through the door. Everything else followed from there.

Great post. LD got the derby straight away. When she did that listening tour, meeting the fans, she emphasized how much it struck her that lack of commitment to/underperformance in the derbies was a factor that really rankled the support. Oh, and the lack of Scottish Cup success.

G B Young
23-02-2017, 01:36 PM
James McPake never beat Hearts when with us. The turning point was Hanlons goal and always will be.

We did go unbeaten in all five derbies in the season following the 2012 cup final so McPake must have played in some of them, but recalling his injury record I assume he was missing for the cup tie win and the end of season win at Tynecastle?

brog
23-02-2017, 01:37 PM
I think the OP has a point in that in the season after we supposedly died we played Yams 5 times, won 2 & drew 3. Although results were more favourable to Yams the following season that was as much down to wrongly disallowed Hibs goals & retrospective Yam red cards than to Yam domination. Even in the last game they won, it came down to us missing & them scoring a penalty. Whatever was the catalyst for change its extremely welcome & long overdue. We now have a team with the mindset that they expect to beat Hawrts at any time, a mindset that we haven't seen since the 70's.

HibsNutter
23-02-2017, 01:40 PM
Except that they did beat us four times the following season, and walked over us with a team of kids.

It all changed the minute Leeann Dempster walked through the doors, followed with George Craig, Alan Stubbs and more recently Neil Lennon among others. That lassie helped to change everything. We certainly won't be walked over by them anymore.

since90plustwo
23-02-2017, 01:42 PM
think the turning point was when stubbs came in. Every derby there on after we have went toe to toe with them. Even in the only game we lost we missed a pen & went a man down. The next game it took a 45 yard ping to rescue a draw befoe going to Tynie where we more than matched them in midfield and unlucky not to come away with a win. Hammered them at Easter Road before THAT game at Tynie and as they say the rest is History....

Ozyhibby
23-02-2017, 02:45 PM
James McPake was terrible in derbies. His low headed clearance to Stevenson for the goal that got Fenlon the sack, backing off Skacel in the final etc were just two horror stories of the top off my head. Whatever changed, I'm certain it has nothing to do with James McPake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is It On....
23-02-2017, 02:52 PM
Hmmmm, controversial.

I agree. LD comes in. The Butcher, after 6 months as manager, goes to discuss his budget to "overhaul" the playing staff and she tells him to pack his bags. If ever you could say "this time it's different" that is probably the moment which was closely followed by the appointment of AS as manager rather than the expected, because of prior connections, Stuart McCall.

Diclonius
23-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Disagree. Hearts beat us 4 times out of 5 in the relegation season. Stubbs, 2-2 and 2016 kicked off our dominance.

Craig_HFC
23-02-2017, 03:13 PM
Nah, McPake acted the hard man but was never fit. He wasn't a very good defender either, always trying to dive into completely unnecessary 'Hollywood tackles'.

He's got nothing to do with our dominance in the recent Derbies.

Brightside
23-02-2017, 03:29 PM
It changed when a management team came in and realised that Paul Hanlon could maybe do with a decent CH next to him.......

southern hibby
23-02-2017, 03:41 PM
To me doesn't matter when it changed,just that it has changed. Its now up to us to make sure it doesn't change back anytime soon.

Over the last 7 games we have done what's needed to be done especially the part of the fans, let's be honest tynie was some atmosphere in our end and again last night too. As fans we are doing our bit and its obviously a major lift for players hearing singing non stop like we have been doing.

GGTTH

TelaStella
23-02-2017, 03:46 PM

McPake was still with us when we beat them 2-1 at ER under Butcher. Chances are he never played right enough but was still a part of the squad.

Ozyhibby
23-02-2017, 03:49 PM
McPake was still with us when we beat them 2-1 at ER under Butcher. Chances are he never played right enough but was still a part of the squad.

He didn't play.
Have we got any record of him ever winning a derby game?

TelaStella
23-02-2017, 03:53 PM
He didn't play.

Spoony's winner to put them out the Scottish in 2012/13? Sure he was captain that day.

lyonhibs
23-02-2017, 04:05 PM
James McPake was terrible in derbies. His low headed clearance to Stevenson for the goal that got Fenlon the sack, backing off Skacel in the final etc were just two horror stories of the top off my head. Whatever changed, I'm certain it has nothing to do with James McPake.

This. Lots of "heart" but a fairly chronic defender against them.

Ozyhibby
23-02-2017, 04:19 PM
Spoony's winner to put them out the Scottish in 2012/13? Sure he was captain that day.

No didn't play that day either.

hfc rd
23-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Hmmmm, controversial.

It's Dempster that has changed this club around and for me is the big reason for our Derby dominance these days.

Centre Hawf
23-02-2017, 05:00 PM
He didn't play.

He didn't play a role in any of our wins against them during his time here.