PDA

View Full Version : The Silence of the Yams

One Day Soon
23-02-2017, 12:23 PM
I'm going to try to make a number of balanced observations here, must be feeling a bit unwell.

1. While I thought their fans were largely a silent sullen embarrassment last night, a much more significant number of them stayed on even after our third goal than might have been expected - they get some credit for that.

2. Alan Preston on Radio Scotland was - unusually - pretty gracious about us. I'm guessing the reality of the hard hit delivered by a level playing field is starting to sink in at last.

3. I actually feel slightly sorry for their fans. I know there is a significant proportion of utter, utter roasters but I also have a lot of friends who are decent straightforward people. They deserve a lot better than the shiftless posted-in performance that their team gave last night. Not only did they not look like they understood what a Hibs/Hearts derby means, they didn't even look like they understood the importance of a Scottish Cup tie.

4. I think they have one or two pretty decent players but they look like they are collectively clueless. My conclusion is that Cathro is one of these characters who is probably a really excellent Coach but an utter Calderwood of a manager.

5. They are in this state because they have the wrong manager in charge of the wrong group of players - ie lots of loanees and players in transit to somewhere else. They don't have the money to change it significantly for quite a while because their cash (which is supposed to be going into the fans taking ownership of the club) is going into building a new stand. Their next few seasons are going to be either short term hired gun passers through or youngsters. Either way it looks messy for them for a while.

6. I hope Romanov was somehow watching from his Moscow bedsit or wherever he is hiding now. He is most responsible for the state that club is in, but so too are the credulous sheep who willingly allowed him to lock them all in the boot of his financially doped-up car.

7. If Neil Lennon gets us up - and if he falls in love with this club as he appears to be doing - and stays for the long term, they could stay in our shadow for a very long time. The potential of Hibernian for the right manager who wanted to build a real long term legacy is immense given our stadium, our training facilities, our support, our financial position and the winning mentality of our squad following that Scottish Cup final win.

And finally, a massive massive shout out to the Hibs support. What a song book we now have and how fantastically well we performed it. You could sense and see the players being lifted by it.

By contrast the Silence of the Yams was deafening.

hughio
23-02-2017, 12:26 PM
:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::f lag::flag:

Don't be TOO reasonable!

Golden Bear
23-02-2017, 12:34 PM
I'm going to try to make a number of balanced observations here, must be feeling a bit unwell.

1. While I thought their fans were largely a silent sullen embarrassment last night, a much more significant number of them stayed on even after our third goal than might have been expected - they get some credit for that.

2. Alan Preston on Radio Scotland was - unusually - pretty gracious about us. I'm guessing the reality of the hard hit delivered by a level playing field is starting to sink in at last.

3. I actually feel slightly sorry for their fans. I know there is a significant proportion of utter, utter roasters but I also have a lot of friends who are decent straightforward people. They deserve a lot better than the shiftless posted-in performance that their team gave last night. Not only did they not look like they understood what a Hibs/Hearts derby means, they didn't even look like they understood the importance of a Scottish Cup tie.

4. I think they have one or two pretty decent players but they look like they are collectively clueless. My conclusion is that Cathro is one of these characters who is probably a really excellent Coach but an utter Calderwood of a manager.

5. They are in this state because they have the wrong manager in charge of the wrong group of players - ie lots of loanees and players in transit to somewhere else. They don't have the money to change it significantly for quite a while because their cash (which is supposed to be going into the fans taking ownership of the club) is going into building a new stand. Their next few seasons are going to be either short term hired gun passers through or youngsters. Either way it looks messy for them for a while.

6. I hope Romanov was somehow watching from his Moscow bedsit or wherever he is hiding now. He is most responsible for the state that club is in, but so too are the credulous sheep who willingly allowed him to lock them all in the boot of his financially doped-up car.

7. If Neil Lennon gets us up - and if he falls in love with this club as he appears to be doing - and stays for the long term, they could stay in our shadow for a very long time. The potential of Hibernian for the right manager who wanted to build a real long term legacy is immense given our stadium, our training facilities, our support, our financial position and the winning mentality of our squad following that Scottish Cup final win.

And finally, a massive massive shout out to the Hibs support. What a song book we now have and how fantastically well we performed it. You could sense and see the players being lifted by it.

By contrast the Silence of the Yams was deafening.

It's difficult to disagree with any of that.

:applause:

Carheenlea
23-02-2017, 12:35 PM
On point 3 - I'll never feel sorry for Hearts fans under any circumstances, friends or not. They deserve everything they get, and these last two Derby cup exits are just the start for them. They lapped up the albeit small return of success that their clubs reckless spending over time bought them, and I didn't see much sympathy coming our way during that time. I'll not be forgetting that any time soon.

High-On-Hibs
23-02-2017, 12:36 PM
Feel sorry for? Nah..... duck all of them.

:brokenyam: :lolyam: :ostrich: :jamboclow

One Day Soon
23-02-2017, 12:38 PM
On point 3 - I'll never feel sorry for Hearts fans under any circumstances, friends or not. They lapped up the albeit small return of success that their clubs reckless spending over time bought them, and I didn't see much sympathy coming our way during that time. I'll not be forgetting that any time soon.

Yes I take your point but I prefer to be much, much more patronising than that. The offence of lese-majeste drives them absolutely bonkers.

cleanyman
23-02-2017, 12:39 PM
They've ripped the pish out of us for years.

I was on the train back last night and there was a Hearts fan who asked why all the Hibs fans were quiet because if they'd won you would know all about it.

Humility bud.

jacomo
23-02-2017, 12:39 PM
I was listening to the radio last night.

Preston did compliment Hibs eventually but only after a lot of squeaky moaning and complaining.

Jim44
23-02-2017, 12:42 PM
On point 3 - I'll never feel sorry for Hearts fans under any circumstances, friends or not. They lapped up the albeit small return of success that their clubs reckless spending over time bought them, and I didn't see much sympathy coming our way during that time. I'll not be forgetting that any time soon.

Ditto. I was gobsmacked to read some of them say that our display of delight at the result was an indication of how much we despise them. Well excuse me but if there's any bitterness, hatred, name calling etc. to be done, they take the biscuit. Sod them.

snooky
Love the thread title "Silence of the Yams" :aok:.

"Play it again, Yam"

One Day Soon
They've ripped the pish out of us for years.

I was on the train back last night and there was a Hearts fan who asked why all the Hibs fans were quiet because if they'd won you would know all about it.

Humility bud.

Exactly. Hibs class.