PDA

View Full Version : Ref

ACLeith
22-02-2017, 11:28 PM
Steven McLean showed again why he is the best we have by a long way. In the first half on more than one occasion he stood with his foot on the ball to calm down a pitentail flashpoint. He was never the centre of attention but controlled the game. Thank goodness Collum was refing champions league last night

Azz1875
22-02-2017, 11:30 PM
Just wish he could learn how to play advantage after a foul embarrassment to referees

The Harp Awakes
22-02-2017, 11:32 PM
I like him but he saved them from a 4 or 5 nil tonight. Clear foul on Bartley in the centre of the pitch in the lead up to their pen. Can't believe he played on.

ACLeith
22-02-2017, 11:33 PM
Just wish he could learn how to play advantage after a foul embarrassment to referees

One mistake for each team in 90 minutes. He held his hands up and apologised

O'Rourke3
22-02-2017, 11:33 PM
Decent game and was talking to the players all through the game. Thought a couple of the Hearts boys lucky to escape yellows for persistent fouls and Shinnie unlucky to pick up his. Two games in a row against them with a decent ref too. Very unusual.

Mon Dieu4
22-02-2017, 11:37 PM
Funny how we all see things, normally I think he's the best we have and pretty decent, today he fell for their nonsense and gave them more than us

hibee_girl
22-02-2017, 11:39 PM
He was ok, could have booked a few more of their players but also could have booked Cummings for his celebration.

Not In The Know
22-02-2017, 11:42 PM
Gave us nowt tonight and missed two clear fouls on the way to their pen.

calumhibee1
22-02-2017, 11:44 PM
Thought he done well other than the fact that only Jamie Walker got booked for a tackle that was a yellow all day. The amount of their players that must have got away with 6 or 7 fouls without even a talking to was ridiculous. Between Goncalves, Djoum, the left back, The Greek Zidane (he's ****ing pony btw) they should all have been booked.

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-02-2017, 11:50 PM
Wow opinions, I thought he was absolutely dreadful tonight-and I'm usually a fan.

matty_f
22-02-2017, 11:52 PM
Left his cards at home when it came to the yams, I thought there was a foul in the lead up took their penalty, and two bad decisions to not allow advantage. Other than that I thought he reffed the game well. He's the best referee we have in Scotland imho. Generally impressed with him.

Andy74
22-02-2017, 11:56 PM
Wow opinions, I thought he was absolutely dreadful tonight-and I'm usually a fan.

Agree. He's decent but was pretty poor tonight.

Alex Trager
23-02-2017, 12:10 AM
Funny how we all see things, normally I think he's the best we have and pretty decent, today he fell for their nonsense and gave them more than us

Could not agree more!

Potential pen for McGinn in the first minute.

So much of their none sense.

How was walker never booked for diving? He should have been off with what have been his second yellow

hfc rd
23-02-2017, 01:22 AM
Thought he was ok. Really lenient with them. Sowah & Goncalves were very lucky not to be carded at all.

Hibbyradge
23-02-2017, 01:24 AM
He was good tonight.

givescotlandfreedom
23-02-2017, 03:05 AM
I thought he was crap. Don't know how Goncalves didn't get a booking, Wallace wasn't given a second red, Bartley wasn't given a foul for their goal and the 'penalty' was given for a foul outside the box and Mcgregor's goal wasn't give he was honking IMO. We won convincingly but no thanks to that clown.

MickeyEdwards
23-02-2017, 08:49 AM

:aok:

Diclonius
23-02-2017, 08:52 AM
We were denied a clear goal (again) and they had a penalty given for a foul outside the box. Not the best.

HibernianJK
23-02-2017, 08:55 AM
Decent game and was talking to the players all through the game. Thought a couple of the Hearts boys lucky to escape yellows for persistent fouls and Shinnie unlucky to pick up his. Two games in a row against them with a decent ref too. Very unusual.

Shinnie's yellow was as blatant as they come IMO

Silversand
23-02-2017, 08:57 AM
Thought he did well. Too often in the past Hearts get away with Craig Leveins industrial style football, so was pleasantly suprised at his fairness.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
23-02-2017, 09:00 AM
I don't think he was too bad .... he seems to be a ref who generally doesn't rush to his pocket and I like that about him, he could easily have booked Stokes in the first two minutes of the Scottish cup final but didn't. He did screw up one or two advantages last night, but that included one that stopped a possible Hertz breakaway move in the 2nd half.

The one that really got me was the disallowed McGregor goal ...... I couldn't see at the game or in film of it later on how he was offside, I'm positive he came from behind the Yams defender to head the ball into the net from the free kick and the keeper was still on his line. Its a real shame, big Daz would have loved a goal against them. I wonder what the ref and more to the point the linesman saw that I couldn't.

MartinfaePorty
23-02-2017, 09:03 AM
I think he reffed it exactly the same way as Collum in the first game. Only booked the really bad fouls and was lenient against serial offenders, which, to be fair, included Holt. I used to go nuts that refs never booked folk in Old Firm derbies for tackles that players in any other game would be booked for, but I can understand their position, as derby games are generally much more physical and more likely to have meaty challenges. Regarding the disallowed goal, the assistant had his flag up as soon as the ball was played. so he had no choice but to give it.

Big L
23-02-2017, 09:07 AM
We were denied a clear goal (again) and they had a penalty given for a foul outside the box. Not the best.

I checked that tackle umpteen times and I think it was made before the box. He actually launches the tackle when he is level with the half circle on the 18yrd line. I noticed Gray pointing that out to the ref. No matter, all well that ends well. GGTTH!

JimBHibees
23-02-2017, 09:12 AM

Was Darrens goal onside? Must say at the game was surprised it was given off though think Holts was touch and go offside.

liscious_hibs
23-02-2017, 09:37 AM
Could not agree more!

Potential pen for McGinn in the first minute.

So much of their none sense.

How was walker never booked for diving? He should have been off with what have been his second yellow
That was a pen all day long. I was in line with it in row A, hearts boy didn't touch the ball at all and thumped McGinn. Was raging when hearts got there's as was in line and it was definitely not a penalty. Daz got a touch on that. Doesn't matter, gave the Yams a consolation goal but didn't change the fact they were crap from start to finish.

Big team? Dream on 😂 GGTTH

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
23-02-2017, 09:39 AM
The difference is that if the free kick is given rather than the penalty McGregor sees red.

EH54
23-02-2017, 09:48 AM
Thought he wasn't too bad but the consistent fouling from a few of the hearts players without booking is something that really pissed me off i felt the same happened at tyncastle 3 weeks ago.

JimBHibees
23-02-2017, 10:54 AM
The difference is that if the free kick is given rather than the penalty McGregor sees red.

Not necessarily the rules have changed and if the ref decides that the defender is going for the ball which Darren was then it is a yellow even if last man. If a more blatant foul such as tripping when the ball is nowhere near, or pulling back a shirt sort of thing it would have been a red.

HibernianJK
23-02-2017, 12:39 PM
Not necessarily the rules have changed and if the ref decides that the defender is going for the ball which Darren was then it is a yellow even if last man. If a more blatant foul such as tripping when the ball is nowhere near, or pulling back a shirt sort of thing it would have been a red.

I'm sure that's only if a penalty is given. If it's outside the box, it's a red.

easty
23-02-2017, 12:41 PM
I'm sure that's only if a penalty is given. If it's outside the box, it's a red.

Yeah thats what I thought the new rule was too.

Kavinho
23-02-2017, 12:50 PM

My view too.

Seemed concerned at pulling things back, and simultaneously forgetting where he'd put his yellow card.

Argylehibby
23-02-2017, 12:54 PM

It is only for a penalty. It's to stop the double punishment of a penalty and a red. David Gray was telling the ref it was outside the box which wasn't that clever or accurate. Still think Daz played the ball and it wasn't a penalty anyway.

lucky
23-02-2017, 12:56 PM
For me he is the best ref in Scotland. Doesn't book players all the time but like us all he makes mistakes but last night I thought he was decent

hibbysam
23-02-2017, 01:12 PM
My view too.

Seemed concerned at pulling things back, and simultaneously forgetting where he'd put his yellow card.

Can't agree. I thought he played a lot of good advantages, the few he got wrong were where it looked like a sticky situation so he blew up, only for there to be an advantage available at which point he held his hand up. I thought Shinnie could, and probably should have got a second yellow for pulling Walker down late on, but he stayed consistent in that regard. The game never ever looked like getting out of control so I don't agree with the calls for numerous yellows for daft wee fouls. For our McGinn foul, see Walker at the other end from Fontaine.

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2017, 02:53 PM
Ref had a decent game, there are always going to be some issues that we disagree with but in the context of the refereeing standards we are often subjected to, he was decent and at least a 7/10 performance which is acceptable.

northstandhibby
23-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Ref had a decent game, there are always going to be some issues that we disagree with but in the context of the refereeing standards we are often subjected to, he was decent and at least a 7/10 performance which is acceptable.

Agree with this. We've all seen the dodgy refs who look the other way when the Yams foul their way through derbies and Steven McClean kept on top of them. He was very good again, looks a fair and competent ref which is unusual but very welcome.

glory glory

JimBHibees
23-02-2017, 03:13 PM

Agree with that thought he had good control and wasnt trying to be the main man.

Craig_HFC
23-02-2017, 03:16 PM
Steven McLean - Hibs legend.

Should really be credited with an assist in the Final with the advantage he played that led to Stokes opening goal.

brog
23-02-2017, 03:20 PM

Darren's goal was offside but McGinn's was a clear penalty. All refs make mistakes but after the Cup Final I can forgive Stevie McLean anything. He's not an arrogant dick like Collum & Thomson, the players like him.

Superfurry72
23-02-2017, 03:23 PM
Definitely a red if outside the box, intentional or not. Inside red if it's intentional, yellow otherwise.

jgl07
23-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Thought he wasn't too bad but the consistent fouling from a few of the hearts players without booking is something that really pissed me off i felt the same happened at Tynecastle 3 weeks ago.
Three yellow cards were a small number for the match. It was the persistence of the fouling that annoyed me.

On Tuesday night I watched Man City v Monaco and there were 10 bookings. There wasn't a serious foul in the whole match as neither teams were bothering to defend.

TelaStella
23-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Thought the ref was stinking last night. Failed to let the game flow at its full potential, similar to the first leg. Very poor with playing advantages, let Walker away with absolute murder in the first half with diving as well as that big Greek clown if there's and the huddy playing up front. West stand linesman had an absolute shocker as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we are hibs
23-02-2017, 04:02 PM
He was completely *****.

Kavinho
23-02-2017, 04:13 PM
What was it, 7, 8, 9 fouls from their no. 77, including a cynical hack from behind not too different from one in the corner at Tynecastle ?

snooky
24-02-2017, 09:39 AM
I can't see how anybody thought he had a good game. He pulled up Hibs for every minor infringement - sometimes when there was none. Hearts on the other hand were given a carte blanche to commit foul after foul. I can't praise our players enough for keeping focused and professional and not getting involved.
The ref had a good SC final (not just because we won) however in this match he slipped seamlessly back into the usual sub-standard performance of Scottish refereeing.

hibby6270
24-02-2017, 11:32 AM
Noticed he didn't have his FIFA ref's badge on his shirt. Just the ordinary SFA badge.
Has he been demoted?

Regardless, still probably the best ref in Scotland just now.
In a perverse way he was as equally good and bad for both teams on Wednesday which evened itself out. Certainly nothing contentious that influenced the result. Probably a good thing.

BegbieHSC
24-02-2017, 11:35 AM
All a matter of opinion I suppose. Personally, I thought he was dreadful! Can't believe Hertz got so few bookings. Beyond me how Goncalves never got booked for lunging everytime he lost the ball! Same with Collum at Tynie!

Diclonius
24-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Was Darrens goal onside? Must say at the game was surprised it was given off though think Holts was touch and go offside.

I thought Holt was offside too but the BBC highlights show he was just on. Didn't see anything wrong with McGregor's.

yonder1875
24-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Wish he could ref every one of our games, we seem to do quite well with him officiating. :wink:

JimBHibees
24-02-2017, 03:04 PM
Darren's goal was offside but McGinn's was a clear penalty. All refs make mistakes but after the Cup Final I can forgive Stevie McLean anything. He's not an arrogant dick like Collum & Thomson, the players like him.

Actually think that is what sets him apart doesnt speak to players as if they are serfs that need put in their place. The other you mention are IMO awful in the way they speak to players especially Thompson.