PDA

View Full Version : Super John McGinn

northstandhibby
22-02-2017, 11:10 PM
Surely young John is 'the' outstanding young scottish player in the game. He is scary good and thought he was brilliant tonight save for a couple of slack passes but otherwise just superb, what a talent.

glory glory

GreenNWhiteArmy
22-02-2017, 11:18 PM
Honestly didn't think SJM played that great tonight. Absolutely no complaints about his contribution but thought he was pretty quiet.

What a talent the lad is though. Seems to have his head screwed on and I reckon he will acknowledge he needs another season at hibs (in the tip flight) before moving on to bigger and better things. Achieved a helluva lot for such a young man

gogsy23
22-02-2017, 11:22 PM
He gets in front of his man so well and his change of pace is frightening! Am sure i was standing next to his wee brother tonight!

cabbage_88
22-02-2017, 11:24 PM
Would give every hibs players tonight at least 8 or 9/10 but would give SJM a 10+! Absolutely outstanding performance, ran the show! Cannot believe we got a guy of this quality on a 4 year deal! Different class

cabbageandribs1875
22-02-2017, 11:28 PM
SJM really is better than zidane :agree: he had no right to win back a couple of loose balls, but he did, not one failure in that team tonight every man done his job, take a bow the lot of them inc manager/coaches/ballboys/catering staff

lucky
22-02-2017, 11:57 PM
He worked his socks off but it was not his best game. He lost control or gave it away to cheaply at times but he never hid but never MOTM

Alex Trager
23-02-2017, 12:04 AM
I thought he was a world apart tonight. He was superb.

Really.
I never seen sauzee latapy etc, just too young but I honestly think he is th best player I have seen in a hibs shirt.

Remember the guys age as well! He's very early in his career which I have no doubt will be bigger much bigger than hibs.

He's still learning but he is phenomenal.
He can be slack at times but that's why the rest of the team are. To help.

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-02-2017, 12:17 AM
Phenomenal tonight. Ran them ragged. How he won the ball back in their box at one point in the second half I'll never know.

Brightside
23-02-2017, 12:18 AM
He was poor tonight and would be the first to admit it...worked hard, but his passing was poor and held on to the ball too long.

NoTottiNoParty
23-02-2017, 12:22 AM
I love the man. Makes me smile when I think of him

NAE NOOKIE
23-02-2017, 12:24 AM
He was poor tonight and would be the first to admit it...worked hard, but his passing was poor and held on to the ball too long.

I would agree with this in so much as he let the ball get away from him a bit too much and ran into blind alleys a few times when he should have passed .... but his attitude was brilliant and he chased down everything SJM brings it even when he isn't playing so well.

My MOM was Fontaine FWIW :aok:

greenlex
23-02-2017, 12:27 AM

Yup. Sometimes the simple thing is best particuksrly in these games. Won his tackles and worked his socks off. Thattll do for starters.

BSEJVT
23-02-2017, 12:31 AM

Interesting

I have thought he has played well below the standards he set last season virtually all this year and I have also been a bit concerned he hasn't shown the same energy levels as before

I thought today was a lot more like the SJM we know, I wouldn't disagree that he held on to it too long on occasion, but I thought his passing was better tonight than it has been, not brilliant but much improved.

Funny how people see things differently

hfc rd
23-02-2017, 01:40 AM

I agree with this.

Heisenberg
23-02-2017, 11:45 PM
And so it begins...

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/633591/celtic-boss-brendan-rodgers-admits-hibs-star-john-mcginn-is-the-type-of-player-any-manager-would-love-to-have/?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-scotsunsport-_-20170223-_-818094621

Nicho87
24-02-2017, 12:30 AM
And so it begins...

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/633591/celtic-boss-brendan-rodgers-admits-hibs-star-john-mcginn-is-the-type-of-player-any-manager-would-love-to-have/?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-scotsunsport-_-20170223-_-818094621

Inevitable sadly. Long term replacement for Brown you would have to say. One things for sure let the bidding commence at £3.5million

Captain Trips
24-02-2017, 12:36 AM
John Mcginn could easily have used not going up last season as a fair excuse to get away. He didn't and neither did any of the others.

I want most of these guys to stay but if they move on fair enough but if they get us up then it was a pleasure to have them here to finish the job.

MWHIBBIES
24-02-2017, 12:46 AM
I'd rather sell him for less to a club down south, we'll never get anywhere selling our best players to domestic rivals.

HibsNutter
24-02-2017, 12:49 AM
I'd rather sell him for less to a club down south, we'll never get anywhere selling our best players to domestic rivals.

Agree. Don't sell him to league rivals, which they will be next season. We've started to act like a big club and we need to maintain that. That means not bowing down to Celtic if they come calling.

houstonhibbee
24-02-2017, 05:46 AM
Interesting

I have thought he has played well below the standards he set last season virtually all this year and I have also been a bit concerned he hasn't shown the same energy levels as before

I thought today was a lot more like the SJM we know, I wouldn't disagree that he held on to it too long on occasion, but I thought his passing was better tonight than it has been, not brilliant but much improved.

Funny how people see things differently
That was some pass he made to Humphrey that led to the injury. Could have easily scored from his cross.

Steve20
24-02-2017, 06:48 AM
Can't believe anyone thought he was poor the other night. He was absolutely superb. People must actually want a better than Zidane performance if that's what you're going to call poor.

Booked4Being-Ugly
24-02-2017, 06:56 AM
Can't believe anyone thought he was poor the other night. He was absolutely superb. People must actually want a better than Zidane performance if that's what you're going to call poor.Totally agree, yes he gave the ball away a couple of times but the reason we skelped those jambo phuds was partly due to the fact that SJM and MB owned the midfield.

lyonhibs
24-02-2017, 06:56 AM

In what alternative universe are Celtic our rivals in a league context?

With or without McGinn they've got next season won already - they're so far ahead of the rest of us.

Rivals next season, assuming we're up there, will be Aberdeen, Hearts and Der Hun.

If he's to leave, I'd much rather it was down south though obviously.

I reckon we'll 1 top flight season out of him then he'll be off.

StevieCowan
24-02-2017, 06:59 AM
If Celtic come in for him and they profess to now being a Champions League club then I'd expect them to pay a Champions League transfer fee which starts at £4.5m+

matty_f
24-02-2017, 07:03 AM
Can't believe anyone thought he was poor the other night. He was absolutely superb. People must actually want a better than Zidane performance if that's what you're going to call poor.

I agree with you.

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2017, 07:13 AM
If we sell in the summer, then it has to go to the highest bidder, and if that is celtic then so be it.

They are so far ahead it makes no difference we are making them stronger, if they don't buy SJM they will just get someone else in who's equally good.

Selling Scott Allan to the huns was completely different, they WERE our competitors.

Once again we find ourselves with a very saleable asset, and again its about replacing him with maybe 2 or 3 players who will make the whole team stronger.

Lets hope we can do that as well if not better than we did with the Scott Allan transfer money.

3pm
24-02-2017, 07:21 AM
If we sell in the summer, then it has to go to the highest bidder, and if that is celtic then so be it.

They are so far ahead it makes no difference we are making them stronger, if they don't buy SJM they will just get someone else in who's equally good.

Selling Scott Allan to the huns was completely different, they WERE our competitors.

Once again we find ourselves with a very saleable asset, and again its about replacing him with maybe 2 or 3 players who will make the whole team stronger.

Lets hope we can do that as well if not better than we did with the Scott Allan transfer money.

£12m and Griffiths is a decent opening bid. :o)

Fuzzywuzzy
24-02-2017, 07:23 AM
He was raging with himself before the game even started. Watching him in the warmup he couldn't connect with anything and you could see the frustration in his face. Wasn't happy with himself at all.

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2017, 07:25 AM
£12m and Griffiths is a decent opening bid. :o)

Aye i think i'd take that. :greengrin

superfurryhibby
24-02-2017, 07:45 AM
He was raging with himself before the game even started. Watching him in the warmup he couldn't connect with anything and you could see the frustration in his face. Wasn't happy with himself at all.

This post is masterclass in creative extrapolation.

I though he worked really hard, took the wrong option a few times, but showed his class and fighting spirit often. A great effort which helped us control midfield.

The_Horde
24-02-2017, 07:49 AM
Wonder if he still has Jamie Walker stashed somewhere?

JimBHibees
24-02-2017, 07:51 AM
Honestly didn't think SJM played that great tonight. Absolutely no complaints about his contribution but thought he was pretty quiet.

What a talent the lad is though. Seems to have his head screwed on and I reckon he will acknowledge he needs another season at hibs (in the tip flight) before moving on to bigger and better things. Achieved a helluva lot for such a young man

Wow thought his energy and total commitment was superb. Involved in alot of our best moments including the second and third goals. Great game IMO.

JimBHibees
24-02-2017, 07:52 AM

Poor dear oh dear.

Brightside
24-02-2017, 07:59 AM
Poor dear oh dear.

There was no doubting his energy..his work rate was fantastic...but the player himself admitted he didnt have the greatest of games, his touch was off, and he was caught on the ball on many occasions. Thankfully the man himself knows he is far from the finished article and doesnt walk around with a hardon cause he puts in 2 or 3 good passes. There is plenty still to be improved on.

adhibs
24-02-2017, 08:00 AM
Thought we excellent on wednesday. Got right in their face and was part of the reason hearts were left completely on the back foot. Exactly whats needed in a derby.

greenlex
24-02-2017, 08:22 AM
I wouldn't say he was poor but he wasn't at his best. Effective. Absolutely but not his best. IMO.

bingo70
24-02-2017, 08:29 AM
I agree with you.

Thank Sauzee it's no just me that thought it. I thought he was terrific and a good candidate for motm.

People talking about a couple of miss controls or loose passes need to remember it was a battle in the centre of the park with a lot of bodies, I think we were out numbered in there too.

Was an excellent performance from him.

CRAZYHIBBY
24-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Rumour at work is that he's going to celtic in the summer......hope not as id like to see him in the premier with us next season but 4.5 million should be the asking price imo

Gatecrasher
24-02-2017, 09:03 AM
Rumour at work is that he's going to celtic in the summer......hope not as id like to see him in the premier with us next season but 4.5 million should be the asking price imo

IMO he was always going to end up at Celtic at some point, We just have to hope we get a very good price for him.

northstandhibby
24-02-2017, 09:11 AM

Never like to comment on star players potentially being sold on but realistically this young man is destined to play at a higher level and you're right we must protect the club by making sure we get top dollar for him. I would reckon your price is about right with a sell on percentage woven in. I too would like to see him stay one more season at least but the pack are certain to focus in on him and the last thing we want is for a 'scott allen' situation to develop. However lets enjoy watching this extremely talented young man play in a Hibernian strip while hes still here.

glory glory

Mick O'Rourke
24-02-2017, 09:12 AM
Like all fans, i obviously want our best players to stay with the club.
Alas, that is not and has never been the reality in my lifetime watching Hibernian.
Going back as far as the late great Joe Baker.

If Celtic do make a bid for John in the near future, any bid ,if accepted from them, should be around the £5m mark.(minimum)
I base that figure on two facts.
Celtic paid nearly£4.5m for Scott Brown and that was 10 years ago.
Celtic it seems have more cash to spend now than they had back then.

Ryan69
24-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Surely young John is 'the' outstanding young scottish player in the game. He is scary good and thought he was brilliant tonight save for a couple of slack passes but otherwise just superb, what a talent.

glory glory

The guy is a class act...That just keeps going.

I was reading the Daily Record yesterday online,and it had a list of the best young Scottish players....No McGinn or Cummings. I just laughed at it.

Fuzzywuzzy
24-02-2017, 09:23 AM
This post is masterclass in creative extrapolation.

I though he worked really hard, took the wrong option a few times, but showed his class and fighting spirit often. A great effort which helped us control midfield.

I thought he had a great game. All I meant was that you could see the frustration on his face during the warm up. To me he was clearly getting annoyed with himself. I'm not saying he was nrutal.in the warmup and was then going to have the biggest disaster of his career. I think his frustration with himself did give him the drive to have a great game.

I don't think there's anyone on the park on Wednesday that had a bad game and every one of them played for the jersey

we are hibs
24-02-2017, 09:26 AM
He was sensational. That wee spell where he kept winning the ball in the hearts box summed him up. Determined, talented, brave. We are lucky to have him. Comparing his sheer desire to some of the imposters that have played in derbies for us in the past. Excellent performance.

FC Leige
24-02-2017, 09:29 AM
Considering his family background he was always going to sign for Celtic eventually. I just hope we get at least one SPL season out of him

JimBHibees
24-02-2017, 02:58 PM
There was no doubting his energy..his work rate was fantastic...but the player himself admitted he didnt have the greatest of games, his touch was off, and he was caught on the ball on many occasions. Thankfully the man himself knows he is far from the finished article and doesnt walk around with a hardon cause he puts in 2 or 3 good passes. There is plenty still to be improved on.

Appreciate all of that and his touch and passing can be hit and miss however his energy in winning the ball back was massive to why we won the game. A few great passes also early one to Humphrey and ball in the channel for Jason for goal 2. Just cant believe anyone could describe his performance as poor. The bit in the box where he on the ball back about 3 times then set up Shinnie was superb.

JimBHibees
24-02-2017, 03:00 PM
IMO he was always going to end up at Celtic at some point, We just have to hope we get a very good price for him.

Especially given the substantial sell on fee to the Buddies.

HibsNutter
24-02-2017, 03:02 PM
If we start selling our best players as soon as they come calling, we'll end up exactly how we were before being relegated. We need to match the ambition of guys like McGinn and Cummings, and they will stay. It is the same reason Kane and Alli are still with Spurs, they've kept building and improving as a club. That's what we need to do.

Greenworld
24-02-2017, 03:07 PM
Agree. Don't sell him to league rivals, which they will be next season. We've started to act like a big club and we need to maintain that. That means not bowing down to Celtic if they come calling.
If celtic want him and offer the most then they will get him...it makes no difference to hibs who will never challenge Celtic

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Baker9
24-02-2017, 03:18 PM
Alas, that is not and has never been the reality in my lifetime watching Hibernian.

If Celtic do make a bid for John in the near future, any bid ,if accepted from them, should be around the £5m mark.(minimum)

'Mick O'Rourke from Clermiston' suggests you are either a relative or just a big fan! Joe remains my hero and always will be but it is changed days. Joe was on £10 a week before his move to Torino and used to getting a public bus to matches on a Saturday.

The only wealthy people at the club were the Directors who invested not a penny in Hibs but milked the success around that era and before for personal gain.

Wee Effen Bee
24-02-2017, 03:21 PM
Appreciate all of that and his touch and passing can be hit and miss however his energy in winning the ball back was massive to why we won the game. A few great passes also early one to Humphrey and ball in the channel for Jason for goal 2. Just cant believe anyone could describe his performance as poor. The bit in the box where he on the ball back about 3 times then set up Shinnie was superb.

I'm with you Jim. He wasn't poor by any standards. A couple of stray passes or losing the ball? Big 'Wows! I watched Mata pass the ball to the opposition twice the other night (and not win it back) and Ibrahimovic having the ball taken from him against St Etienne. People forget to highlight the 8/9 Great passes or the half a dozen times McGinn stormed into their midfield before laying it off or having a go.
Some qotes on McGinn's performance from the the DR, BBC and the Scotsman:
"...McGinn, too was a forceful presence in midfield"
"(Celtic boss) Rodgers was particularly impressed with Hibs midfielder John McGinn"
"Just an excellent performance"

southsider
24-02-2017, 05:11 PM
Especially given the substantial sell on fee to the Buddies.

If Celtic want SJM then he will cost LG plus £1m to us & £1m to St Mirren.

Captain Trips
24-02-2017, 05:21 PM
If we start selling our best players as soon as they come calling, we'll end up exactly how we were before being relegated. We need to match the ambition of guys like McGinn and Cummings, and they will stay. It is the same reason Kane and Alli are still with Spurs, they've kept building and improving as a club. That's what we need to do.

Spurs can pay top wages we cannot match say Celtic or even be close. Our players are getting maybe 2k p/w maybe some a bit more but when a team come in and are going to double or triple that we are out the game and the player is going to take it as life changing.

A player getting 120k p/w and being offered 150k p/w at another club can knock that back if they feel not going to play as much. When clubs are going to pay any of our players 8k+ they are going to take it. Kane and Alli are still with Spurs as they are getting paid a fortune to be there now and are rich enough to decide if moving is right thing to do.

frazeHFC
24-02-2017, 05:34 PM
Just watched the highlights back. Twice he lost the ball but straight away won it right back. Once in the box which almost led to a goal, and one that did lead to a goal. Brilliant player, very lucky to have him!

emerald green
24-02-2017, 06:03 PM
I just cannot get my head around anyone thinking John McGinn was "poor" when considering his overall performance on Wednesday night.

Are they expecting perfection, or what? :dunno:

Aldo
24-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Would give every hibs players tonight at least 8 or 9/10 but would give SJM a 10+! Absolutely outstanding performance, ran the show! Cannot believe we got a guy of this quality on a 4 year deal! Different class

I disagree. Yeah everyone played very well but by his standard SJM wasn't great. Got caught on the ball on numerous occasions putting pressure on the back 4.

Thought Fontaine, Holt and Cummings (in that order but close) were better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wee Effen Bee
24-02-2017, 06:45 PM
I disagree. Yeah everyone played very well but by his standard SJM wasn't great. Got caught on the ball on numerous occasions putting pressure on the back 4.

Thought Fontaine, Holt and Cummings (in that order but close) were better!

Disagree totally Aldo. 'Numerous occasions, putting pressure on back 4' I suggest you rerun the game and see how many mistakes he really makes to put our defence under pressure. 'Numerous' sounds loads but, as other posters have said, he won the ball back 2 or 3 times himself so how many times did he actually lose the ball to cause us concern?
Fontaine, too, made a couple of poor decisions which could have proved costly...but, just like McGinn, we didn't lose goals because of any of these mistakes. The penalty actually came from Bartley losing possession in midfield - a player who was also bummed up on this site and was another candidate for MOTM.:dunno:

Brightside
24-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Disagree totally Aldo. 'Numerous occasions, putting pressure on back 4' I suggest you rerun the game and see how many mistakes he really makes to put our defence under pressure. 'Numerous' sounds loads but, as other posters have said, he won the ball back 2 or 3 times himself so how many times did he actually lose the ball to cause us concern?
Fontaine, too, made a couple of poor decisions which could have proved costly...but, just like McGinn, we didn't lose goals because of any of these mistakes. The penalty actually came from Bartley losing possession in midfield - a player who was also bummed up on this site and was another candidate for MOTM.:dunno:

Just to be clear.....SJM himself said he thought he had a poor game by his standards but he knew he just had to keep working hard and pressing as much as he could. Im a huge fan of him, but he can bring much more to a game than he did against Hearts. It was a performance of 8 and 9s for the whole team. For me Holt and Lewis were our best players on the night. I don't think Lewis put a foot wrong all night...including winning loads of headers against must taller players.

Aldo
24-02-2017, 07:17 PM
Just to be clear.....SJM himself said he thought he had a poor game by his standards but he knew he just had to keep working hard and pressing as much as he could. Im a huge fan of him, but he can bring much more to a game than he did against Hearts. It was a performance of 8 and 9s for the whole team. For me Holt and Lewis were our best players on the night. I don't think Lewis put a foot wrong all night...including winning loads of headers against must taller players.

Heay I'm not doubting this boys talent and think he's one of the best in Scottish Football. By his standard I thought he was poor. Not a slight on the overall team performance which was superb. He worked like a Trojan and never gave up, as did the rest.

Aldo
24-02-2017, 07:20 PM

WEB perception/opinions etc I'm not dissing the guy or the team following an outstanding performance just think he didn't play to his usual standard. As I said in my post I thought Fontaine was a stand out along with Holt and Jason. I just didn't think SHM was MOTM.

Is It On....
24-02-2017, 07:46 PM

Scott Brown + £4.5m ...

Is It On....
24-02-2017, 07:47 PM
The guy is a class act...That just keeps going.

I was reading the Daily Record yesterday online,and it had a list of the best young Scottish players....No McGinn or Cummings. I just laughed at it.

Seriously?

silverhibee
24-02-2017, 08:09 PM

BREN'S A MAC FAN Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers admits Hibs star John McGinn is the type of player any manager would love to have
The Hibs midfielder caught the eye as Celtic boss Rodgers watched on from the stands in Wednesday's Edinburgh derby

BRENDAN RODGERS was at Easter Road for the midweek Edinburgh derby — and was blown away by Hibs star John McGinn.

He said: “He’s very good. He looks like the type of player you love as a manager

BRENDAN RODGERS was at Easter Road for the midweek Edinburgh derby — and was blown away by Hibs star John McGinn.

He said: “He’s very good. He looks like the type of player you love as a manager

“Defensively he’s strong, he puts his foot in and can make a tackle.

“He doesn’t oversell himself, he’s technically very good when he tackles.

“Tactically he looks like he’s got a good understanding of the game.

“He passes it well and had a couple of good moments in the game when he moved into the box.

“He was a real driving force for them.

“It’s great to see an honest boy like that doing well. I know he’s a good friend of Liam Henderson and he played very well.”

Seems the Celtc manager is a fan.

makaveli1875
24-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Scott Brown + £4.5m ...

griffiths + £4.5m

Ilovehibs
24-02-2017, 09:25 PM
griffiths + £4.5m

That would do very nicely.

Whatever happens, I am going to savour every moment of watching SJM in the next few months. He has that unique combination of great talent and a huge heart💚.
Absolutely love the guy.
If this is his last season with us, I relish the prospect of watching him help us to promotion and another Scottish Cup Victory! God Bless you John.

Another season of you here would be outstanding.

Shrekko
24-02-2017, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't grudge him a move to Celtic- he's been a pleasure to watch for 2 years and a complete pro.

I'd prefer if it didn't happen but if they offer the right money there's no complaints.

MWHIBBIES
24-02-2017, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't grudge him a move to Celtic- he's been a pleasure to watch for 2 years and a complete pro.

I'd prefer if it didn't happen but if they offer the right money there's no complaints.Will never be a day I don't grudge someone moving to Celtic, vile club.

We need to grow a spine and tell them to bugger off unless it suits us (Allan > Henderson/McGeouch trade)

houstonhibbee
24-02-2017, 11:51 PM
That would do very nicely.

Whatever happens, I am going to savour every moment of watching SJM in the next few months. He has that unique combination of great talent and a huge heart💚.
Absolutely love the guy.
If this is his last season with us, I relish the prospect of watching him help us to promotion and another Scottish Cup Victory! God Bless you John.

Another season of you here would be outstanding.
Brown, Griffiths, Henderson and 2 mill?

Keyser Sauzee
24-02-2017, 11:51 PM
Will never be a day I don't grudge someone moving to Celtic, vile club.

We need to grow a spine and tell them to bugger off unless it suits us (Allan > Henderson/McGeouch trade)

I wouldn't grudge any player from 21/5/16 a move to any club, especially if we are getting good cash out of the deal which we will in SJM's case. Apart from Hearts that is

livi hibs 1875
25-02-2017, 12:26 AM
Brown, Griffiths, Henderson and 2 mill?

Plus SJM back on a 3 year loan

AgentDaleCooper
25-02-2017, 11:43 AM
Would be so brilliant to keep this team together for just one year in the top flight...especially if we made the final and got into europe again.