View Full Version : Team And Tactics For Replay

FC Leige
21-02-2017, 08:55 AM
Rocky

Gray McGregor Fontaine Stevenson

Bartley

Humphrey Fyvie McGinn

Cummings Holt

I would introduce Humphry and get a bit of width and pace into the game. We need to pose more of a goal threat than we did in the first game. I would go with Holt instead of Graham for his physicality. If they start to knock the ball around we still need to be able to revert to the rough stuff and stop them playing. I think Fyvie has more dig about him than Keatings or Shinnie so i would play him or McGinn behind the front two

Coults1875
21-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Agree with this! Only thing is that we haven't seen the Humphrey that turned up vs Dundee United. We need him to turn up on the night and we should rock their defense.

Smartie
21-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Same team as the first game only with Fontaine in for Forster.

Kill the game, shut it down, make it a scrap.

I'd be a bit quicker to get Boyle and Humphrey on though, taking the game to them in the last half hour if it is still 0-0.

Hughes had a decent game in the first leg but I don't think he'd fancy having Boyle running at him.

houstonhibbee
21-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Agree with this! Only thing is that we haven't seen the Humphrey that turned up vs Dundee United. We need him to turn up on the night and we should rock their defense.
We will need everyone on top of their game

jacomo
21-02-2017, 10:06 AM
I'd go for the Squirrel over Humphrey i think.

Some of their new players look decent but their defence looks suspect.

Forza Fred
21-02-2017, 10:14 AM
Rocky

Bartley

Humphrey Fyvie McGinn

Cummings Holt

I would introduce Humphry and get a bit of width and pace into the game. We need to pose more of a goal threat than we did in the first game. I would go with Holt instead of Graham for his physicality. If they start to knock the ball around we still need to be able to revert to the rough stuff and stop them playing. I think Fyvie has more dig about him than Keatings or Shinnie so i would play him or McGinn behind the front two

Judging by his after match rant, it wouldn't surprise me if Graham is playing and Cummings is on the bench.

Lennon singled out three players as getting pass marks, and referred to Jason as 'poor'

Coults1875
21-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Judging by his after match rant, it wouldn't surprise me if Graham is playing and Cummings is on the bench.

Lennon singled out three players as getting pass marks, and referred to Jason as 'poor'

I hope thats not the case!

Just Jimmy
21-02-2017, 10:17 AM

If he starts an Edinburgh derby with Graham in ahead of Cummings he can GTF.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

FC Leige
21-02-2017, 10:26 AM

Lennon singled out three players as getting pass marks, and referred to Jason as 'poor' There is no way Lennon would leave our main goal threat sitting on the bench. I think the rant was more a kick up the arse than a serious threat to drop players.

J-C
21-02-2017, 10:30 AM
His rant was to let them all know he wasn't happy and he wants to see a response in training, he'll have a better idea who has taken on board his rant.

kentao
21-02-2017, 10:34 AM
Rocky

Gray Daz Fountain Stevenson

Fyvie Bartley McGinn

Humphrey Cummings Boyle

4-3-3 with Bartley sitting.

Hearts full backs were poor especially the right back Struna and sowah on the left wasn't much better.

Give Humphrey and Boyle instructions to just run at them when ever they get the ball.

Forza Fred
21-02-2017, 11:12 AM
There is no way Lennon would leave our main goal threat sitting on the bench. I think the rant was more a kick up the arse than a serious threat to drop players.

I hope you are right.

Guess we'll see on Wednesday.

StPauli
21-02-2017, 11:18 AM
Rocky

Bartley

Humphrey Fyvie McGinn

Cummings Holt

That teams looks good, the only change for me would be Boyle for Humphrey to begin with as I always feel Boyle does his defensive duties as well as linking with Grey.:aok: Maybe bring Humphrey on later on when the game might open up and we are 2 ahead.

GreenNWhiteArmy
21-02-2017, 11:18 AM

I'd be a bit quicker to get Boyle and Humphrey on though, taking the game to them in the last half hour if it is still 0-0.

Hughes had a decent game in the first leg but I don't think he'd fancy having Boyle running at him.

:agree: same for me

i wouldnt go tinkering with the team. We know that we can match them man for man and will win our battles with the team we started with in the first game - are they up for the battle this time?

Change it at 60 mins if we're drawing/losing and get pace on the park

B.H.F.C
21-02-2017, 11:21 AM

I think our biggest problem is that if we start games slowly it sets the tone for 90 minutes for us. We struggle to raise it after that.

Think we need to play a bit differently to Tynecastle, come out the traps quickly and give them something to think about.

If we start slowly and they get on top we could be in trouble imo. I don't want us to be chasing the game. They're not great but they are still a step up from the likes of Ayr and Raith.

number9dream
21-02-2017, 11:26 AM
Very hard to call since we have struggled to find the right attacking combination all season.
The back four and midfield three pick themselves if Hanlon and McGeouch are missing again.
Cummings is our main (only) goal threat, so must start.

That leaves two places up for grabs.

I don't think NL will risk both Humphrey and Boyle since they are erratic and maybe a bit lightweight. Maybe one of them and McGinn on the other flank.
Shinnie is the only no.10 we have - Keatings just isn't up to that role but offers the best delivery from set-pieces.
Keatings is more likely to stick away a chance than Holt or Graham but NL almost always favours a big man up top. Holt had a whale of a time roughing up the defence at Tynecastle, although he didn't look like scoring.
It's a tough choice since none of these guys have delivered with any consistency.
It's also tricky to predict how Hearts will line up since Cathro is chopping and changing a lot.
One thing that is easier to foresee is another derby battle and for that reason I don't think the team will be much different from the first game.

J-C
21-02-2017, 11:27 AM
Lennon said he picked a team and tactics because of the Tynecastle pitch, we'll be playing at ER with a surface which suits a passing game, get the ball on the deck and let Humphrey and Boyle run at Hearts with their pace, get past the defenders and get the ball in early to the box.

CapitalGreen
21-02-2017, 11:28 AM
It will play out like most other Edinburgh derby matches.

One team will pass it around the back four for a while, an opponent will then put some pressure on and the ball will be punted up field. The opposition will then take possession through either a foul or the ball going out of play. They will then pass it around at the back before punting it back down field the other way. This sequence will be repeated back and forth until one team win an attacking set piece and score a scrappy goal.

JimBHibees
21-02-2017, 11:32 AM

Totally agree was a little disappointed he wasnt given the last 10 in the first game especially when Keats took a knock around the 80th minute.

Smartie
21-02-2017, 11:40 AM
I think our biggest problem is that if we start games slowly it sets the tone for 90 minutes for us. We struggle to raise it after that.

Think we need to play a bit differently to Tynecastle, come out the traps quickly and give them something to think about.

If we start slowly and they get on top we could be in trouble imo. I don't want us to be chasing the game. They're not great but they are still a step up from the likes of Ayr and Raith.

I agree to an extent in that that is the way many of our league games go. We expect to start strongly and if it doesn't happen, the fans quickly get agitated.

This game is a bit different - I think we know we may need to be patient. If we keep it tight then we've got a chance of getting the goal we need at any point.

I don't think we need to race out the blocks or be too gung-ho. Whether we like it or not Hearts are a bit better than we're used to playing and would have a better chance of picking us off.

Jim44
21-02-2017, 11:43 AM
Steady now with all this info. Cathro might stumble over it on his laptop. :greengrin

WeeRussell
21-02-2017, 12:18 PM
It will play out like most other Edinburgh derby matches.

One team will pass it around the back four for a while, an opponent will then put some pressure on and the ball will be punted up field. The opposition will then take possession through either a foul or the ball going out of play. They will then pass it around at the back before punting it back down field the other way. This sequence will be repeated back and forth until one team win an attacking set piece and score a scrappy goal.

As long as it's our scrappy goal I'll take the above all day long!!!

swordin3
21-02-2017, 12:45 PM

Thought Graham was poor heard Lennon's idea he had pass marks couldn't believe it. God forbid he starts

neil7908
21-02-2017, 12:48 PM
My inclination would be to play the same team as the first game with Fontaine coming in and possibly Shinnie for Keatings.

After the Dundee United game I was really looking forward to seeing Boyle and Humphreys but it just hasn't clicked for us since that game.

Hearts are most dangerous out wide and I don't think we can rely on those 2 contributing enough going forward given the inevitable spaces we'd leave at the back.

Also, Holt and Jason both have to start for me so can't really fit 2 wide players and both of them.

Keep it tight and as they are tiring later in the game bring on Boyle.

overdrive
21-02-2017, 12:58 PM
Marciano

Gray, McGregor, Fontaine, Stevenson

Fyvie, Bartley, McGinn

Boyle

Cummings
Holt

Boyle switching between the wings.

Vini1875
21-02-2017, 01:09 PM
I might think about dropping Fyvie and going with two wingers Humphreys and Boyle with McGinn and Bartley in the midfield. Keeper and back four pick themselves. Holt and Cummings upfront. 442 and really go for it. Big problem for us though is that if Cummings doesn't score who else can?

Santa Cruz
21-02-2017, 01:21 PM

Even if we win?

easty
21-02-2017, 01:29 PM
My inclination would be to play the same team as the first game with Fontaine coming in and possibly Shinnie for Keatings.

After the Dundee United game I was really looking forward to seeing Boyle and Humphreys but it just hasn't clicked for us since that game.

Hearts are most dangerous out wide and I don't think we can rely on those 2 contributing enough going forward given the inevitable spaces we'd leave at the back.

Also, Holt and Jason both have to start for me so can't really fit 2 wide players and both of them.

Keep it tight and as they are tiring later in the game bring on Boyle.

Yeah, that's my thinking too.

The bit in bold though - you'd think so, but I saw Michael Stewart on Sportscene ripping into them for not playing with any width at the weekend. Highlighted a few times they had good opportunities to get the ball wide, to create something, but weren't even looking to do it.

easty
21-02-2017, 01:39 PM
I might think about dropping Fyvie and going with two wingers Humphreys and Boyle with McGinn and Bartley in the midfield. Keeper and back four pick themselves. Holt and Cummings upfront. 442 and really go for it. Big problem for us though is that if Cummings doesn't score who else can?

No danger should we drop Fyvie, not in my opinion anyway.

Think we'll be more solid with Fyvie, Bartley and McGinn in the midfield. I don't think Hearts are a very good team, they pumped a shambolic Rangers, then beat 10 men Motherwell, and that seems to have given Cathro a bit of leeway, considering he's had a very ropey start at them. But, as much as they're not a very good team, they do have some pretty good players, who are capable of doing things on their own. Walker, Nicholson and Djoum are good players. I think Fyvie, Bartley and McGinn can dominate though. Just Bartley and McGinn, wouldn't find it so easy, if those 3 are playing against them in the middle.

Danderhall Hibs
21-02-2017, 02:02 PM
Tactics - shoot, make the keeper work and he'll give us assists.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
21-02-2017, 02:21 PM
Marciano

RB: Gray
CB: McGregor
CB: Fontaine
LB: Stevenson

CDM: Bartley
RCM: Fyvie
LCM: McGinn
CAM: Keatings

ST: Holt
ST: Cummings

B.H.F.C
21-02-2017, 02:22 PM
I agree to an extent in that that is the way many of our league games go. We expect to start strongly and if it doesn't happen, the fans quickly get agitated.

This game is a bit different - I think we know we may need to be patient. If we keep it tight then we've got a chance of getting the goal we need at any point.

I don't think we need to race out the blocks or be too gung-ho. Whether we like it or not Hearts are a bit better than we're used to playing and would have a better chance of picking us off.

See I just think we need to get at them early. Not a case of looking to kill the game but just to set the tone.

I worry if we set up as we have at Tynecastle and Raith and are too cagey then we run the risk of waiting on something happening instead of making something happen. They are there for the taking and have a very poor away record this year.

supermcginn
21-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Fontaine in for forster and boyle in for keatings.

ShinyFantastic
21-02-2017, 02:42 PM

I actually have a really bad feeling that Lennon will drop Cummings. If so we have no chance.

FC Leige
21-02-2017, 02:54 PM
I actually have a really bad feeling that Lennon will drop Cummings. If so we have no chance. It will be a hell of a statement if he does. Cummings was poor on Saturday like the rest of them but as usual he popped up with a goal and saved us from defeat. He tends to score against Hearts and they would be delighted to see him on the bench. You simply cannot drop your top scorer for a game like this.

northstandhibby
21-02-2017, 03:01 PM
Marciano

That is a good call for the starting line-up. I would instantly replace big Marv if he gets a yellow and if we go a goal or two up put on a winger like Boyle to stretch them as their big huddy at the back Hughes has no real pace.

glory glory

we are hibs
21-02-2017, 03:07 PM
Marciano

id go with this but maybe play Boyle ahead of Keatings. I'd let Boyle have a free role and let him go out wide either side and work through the middle too. I'm sure Keatings would be capable of that too as he put in a few good crosses in our last match against Ayr towards the end of the game when he started peeling off to the left

Smartie
21-02-2017, 03:12 PM
id go with this but maybe play Boyle ahead of Keatings. I'd let Boyle have a free role and let him go out wide either side and work through the middle too. I'm sure Keatings would be capable of that too as he put in a few good crosses in our last match against Ayr towards the end of the game when he started peeling off to the left

That would be the change I'd be most tempted to make.

I think Boyle's pace would really unsettle them, running through the middle as much as out wide.

There's a bit of me would like to keep Boyle to use later in the game though.

HAZ2000
21-02-2017, 03:50 PM
That would be the change I'd be most tempted to make.

I think Boyle's pace would really unsettle them, running through the middle as much as out wide.

There's a bit of me would like to keep Boyle to use later in the game though.
I think having Boyle against Hughes early on could really hurt them.

Borderhibbie76
21-02-2017, 06:01 PM
No danger should we drop Fyvie, not in my opinion anyway.

Think we'll be more solid with Fyvie, Bartley and McGinn in the midfield. I don't think Hearts are a very good team, they pumped a shambolic Rangers, then beat 10 men Motherwell, and that seems to have given Cathro a bit of leeway, considering he's had a very ropey start at them. But, as much as they're not a very good team, they do have some pretty good players, who are capable of doing things on their own. Walker, Nicholson and Djoum are good players. I think Fyvie, Bartley and McGinn can dominate though. Just Bartley and McGinn, wouldn't find it so easy, if those 3 are playing against them in the middle.
I don't think he will be but can I ask why not?? He gets an easy ride off the fans imo and has been really poor in the Ayr and Raith games and wasn't great in 1st derby neither...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Smartie
21-02-2017, 06:12 PM
I don't think he will be but can I ask why not?? He gets an easy ride off the fans imo and has been really poor in the Ayr and Raith games and wasn't great in 1st derby neither...

There are some fans that he really doesn't get an easy ride off.

I wasn't at Raith but accept he was poor against Ayr (as was the whole team).

I thought he knuckled down and forced himself to come onto a game and eventually did fine against Hearts.

Fyvie is a good player and it will take more than a couple of off-colour performances from him to convince me otherwise.

He also strikes me as a big game player. Has he ever let us down on a big occasion?

And how good have we ever looked without him in our team?

makaveli1875
21-02-2017, 06:14 PM
rocky

gray
mcgregor
fontaine
stevenson

bartley

mcginn
shinnie
humphrey

holt
cummings

TheMentalHibees
21-02-2017, 06:33 PM

I thought he knuckled down and forced himself to come onto a game and eventually did fine against Hearts.

Fyvie is a good player and it will take more than a couple of off-colour performances from him to convince me otherwise.

He also strikes me as a big game player. Has he ever let us down on a big occasion?

Not to detract from your point as I agree with you, but he did directly cause the hun goal right before half time at ibrox in December 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAZ2000
21-02-2017, 06:36 PM
Not to detract from your point as I agree with you, but he did directly cause the hun goal right before half time at ibrox in December 2015.

Cost us that game IMO. Good player though, need him tomorrow

Borderhibbie76
21-02-2017, 06:38 PM

Listen I like fyvie as a player but don't think he's as good as some posters on here make out...and no in comparison to some other he indeed does get an easy ride. Personally I think he is tidy and dogged...however I think he also slows us down to pedestrian at times and offers very little in an attacking sense...a huge issue with our entire midfield except Mcginn and without the perma-injured Dylan

Fergus52
21-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Rocky

Gray Daz Fountain Stevenson

Fyvie Bartley McGinn

Humphrey Cummings Boyle

4-3-3 with Bartley sitting.

Hearts full backs were poor especially the right back Struna and sowah on the left wasn't much better.

Give Humphrey and Boyle instructions to just run at them when ever they get the ball.

this would be my team :agree:

Ken
21-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Marciano

That's the team for me. Boyle or Shinnie instead of Keatings is an option but Keatings set piece deliveries are good and he's more likely to take a chance from 20 yards if he gets the opportunity

Nicho87
21-02-2017, 07:37 PM
I will be amazed if its not Holt and Cummings up front.