PDA

View Full Version : Joe, Joe Super Joe the video......

GORDONSMITH7
20-02-2017, 09:14 PM
As promised the video of the Q and A from Super Joe Tortolano at the last St. Patrick's Hibernian Supporters Branch meeting. Very honesty, frank and amusing. Most of the questions requested were asked to Joe. Enjoy folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhxqMbFqVrQ

GGTTH

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
20-02-2017, 09:23 PM
As promised the video of the Q and A from Super Joe Tortolano at the last St. Patrick's Hibernian Supporters Branch meeting. Very honesty, frank and amusing. Most of the questions requested were asked to Joe. Enjoy folks.

GGTTH

BIG G

Stantons Angel
20-02-2017, 10:21 PM
Enjoyed that video Gordon and Joe as always came across really well.
Made me sad to know how badly the boo boys affected his confidence keeping him out of games and out of the managers plans.

His point about the manager not managing people came over loud and clear. A kind word in his ear may have meant all the more to him if he knew
someone had faith in him.

He is still thought well of by the support and this kind of video showing how relaxed he is with the supporters will do him no harm.

Thanks for posting it.

DickieDastardly
20-02-2017, 10:23 PM
Just watched the first 10-15 mins of that, shows the anxiety he had at times which is a real shame; I remember him playing an absolute blinder away to Clydebank (think we won 3-1 or 3-0 and sure he scored two). Jimmy Stanton once told me Kevin McKee was so scared of Blackley he would be trembling pre match in the dressing room, no wonder some youngsters who showed promise ended up struggling.

Scouse Hibee
20-02-2017, 10:47 PM

GGTTH

BIG G

Great watch,really enjoyed that, thanks for posting.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-02-2017, 10:49 PM
The boo boys should take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror and do everyone a favour...

villager
20-02-2017, 11:05 PM
Enjoyed that, thanks :thumbsup:

GORDONSMITH7
21-02-2017, 01:08 AM
The boo boys should take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror and do everyone a favour...

Asked your question amigo and got an honest reply, hope you liked it. As you say the boo boys today boil my and your piss. I have personally moved stands over the past decades because I was in so many shouting matches with knobs whom I would have knocked out gladly for bullying, yes ,bullying individual players. When the obsessive one player criticizers were silent and another Hibs player ****ed up I would turn round and ask why the **** they were saying nowt about them. Lots of sad folk with frustrations at home or work methinks. What Joe experienced was ****ing madness compared to today, getting booed as his name was announced!

GGTTH

BIG G

Viva_Palmeiras
21-02-2017, 05:08 AM
Asked your question amigo and got an honest reply, hope you liked it. As you say the boo boys today boil my and your piss. I have personally moved stands over the past decades because I was in so many shouting matches with knobs whom I would have knocked out gladly for bullying, yes ,bullying individual players. When the obsessive one player criticizers were silent and another Hibs player ****ed up I would turn round and ask why the **** they were saying nowt about them. Lots of sad folk with frustrations at home or work methinks. What Joe experienced was ****ing madness compared to today, getting booed as his name was announced!

GGTTH

BIG G

Thanks G I'll look out for that with interest.'I Only caught the first 5-10 mins will watch in full but was deeply saddened and moved to write.

Edit: brilliant. What a guy. It wasn't me that asked about it at another time - shows that after all those years folks have fond memories. Humble, honest speaks well, funny guy - Hibs class.

What I recall from the halftime warm up there was a period where it was just Joe - no keeper - and he pinged the ball hitting the cross bar / post alternately 3 times in succession. Miraculous when you put it into perspective - almost impossible to do yet he did it - Joe T for crossbar challenge - too easy ;)

Peevemor
21-02-2017, 06:21 AM
I really enjoyed that. Cheers :aok:

ps. I wonder how many, if any, of the GTF Tortolano crew were in attendace.

tamig
21-02-2017, 06:34 AM
That was really good. Think Joe really confirmed what a lot of us suspected about AMs man management skills. And like a few others in the thread have mentioned, maybe it will make some of the "I pays my money" current day boo boys think about the consequences of their actions. Thanks for posting.

Niffy
21-02-2017, 06:54 AM
Mind him scoring in the cup against Stenhousemuir after taking pelters from them. He stood in front of the tiny crowd , arms out....18095

Niffy
21-02-2017, 06:58 AM
Another daft tale, I knew a guy that lived close to him, told me Joey had been trying to sell his XR3 for months, one match he was warming up in the Coo Shed where we used to sit, and I bawled out "I'm looking for an XR3!!!" , he stood staring at the crowd for about 5 minutes, trying to see if it was a genuine offer.

EVENTUALLY
21-02-2017, 09:35 AM
IMO The best goal that Joe scored was in the second last game of the 87/88 season against Aberdeen at Pittodrie on a cold midweek evening. Hibs played really well that night and Joe topped it off by running through the middle of the Dons defence from about the half way line turning Willie Miller inside out so much so that he was nearly corkscrewed into the pitch before Joe thumped a low drive into the net. Great goal and a rare win aginst a good Aberdeen team.

FilipinoHibs
21-02-2017, 09:36 AM
I once met Joe in the Albion bar about 30 mins before kick off having a half pint. He started that day! The interview explains everything! Scared ****less!

G B Young
21-02-2017, 09:56 AM
I'd forgotten he was at the club for such a long time. Hard to imagine anyone playing for 11 years with one club these days. 222 appearances is a decent tally but as he points out he had regular spells out of the side.

Recall him going on a great run to set up a late winner for Steve Archibald at Dens Park circa 1988.

Sammy7nil
21-02-2017, 11:08 AM
I always liked JOe he got an undeserved hard time, doing well at LB for Hibs when he started out as a WINGER.

GORDONSMITH7
21-02-2017, 11:28 AM
Enjoyed that video Gordon and Joe as always came across really well.
Made me sad to know how badly the boo boys affected his confidence keeping him out of games and out of the managers plans.

His point about the manager not managing people came over loud and clear. A kind word in his ear may have meant all the more to him if he knew
someone had faith in him.

He is still thought well of by the support and this kind of video showing how relaxed he is with the supporters will do him no harm.

Thanks for posting it.

Spot on J.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
21-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Glad you liked it lads and lassies. Another aside, when we invite folk to St. Patrick's Branch meetings, we always as is right, give expenses in appreciation of their time/petrol etc. Joe came from Stirling and flatly refused, after several attempts, to accept it. Says it all really.

BIG G

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Merge!

s2hart
21-02-2017, 12:29 PM
My favourite player when I was a lad, he was always great when I met him for autographs, even the time I had wait until he fixed his hair in a car mirror in the car park at Parkhead. He comes across really well and it's great he still has a fondness for our club even after some bad experiences. :aok:

Thank you for the video, it was great to watch.:thumbsup:

GORDONSMITH7
21-02-2017, 12:41 PM
Merge!

I made an erse of it Hutchy. 63 years auld and far mair comfortable with a Slide Rule back in the day than computers now. You are spot on.

BIG G

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-02-2017, 12:46 PM
Double posting happens to almost everybody for some odd reason, even if you only post once! (An IT expert will hopefully explain).

GORDONSMITH7
21-02-2017, 12:46 PM
I think an Admin will come along shortly and merge the two threads of the same name that I made an erse of. It's an age thing.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
21-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Double posting happens to almost everybody for some odd reason, even if you only post once! (An IT expert will hopefully explain).
I am an Admin on the Bounce and wouldnae have a ****** scooby how to merge. I would get my good amigo Jamie to do it.

GGTTH

BIG G

BroxburnHibee
21-02-2017, 02:33 PM
I think an Admin will come along shortly and merge the two threads of the same name that I made an erse of. It's an age thing.

BIG G

Sorted :aok:

Viva_Palmeiras
21-02-2017, 04:01 PM
That was really good. Think Joe really confirmed what a lot of us suspected about AMs man management skills. And like a few others in the thread have mentioned, maybe it will make some of the "I pays my money" current day boo boys think about the consequences of their actions. Thanks for posting.

"Abuse" of players on threads - and let's be clear there are posts which advocate "abuse" even once challenged - should be directed to this Video.

tamig
21-02-2017, 04:22 PM
"Abuse" of players on threads - and let's be clear there are posts which advocate "abuse" even once challenged - should be directed to this Video.

Indeed mate.

Smartie
21-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Fairly recently I was speaking to someone who played in the same team as Joe.

He remembered times when Joe's name was booed when the teams were announced in the ground as the players were warming up. He said you could visibly see Joe's shoulders slump upon hearing it, before a ball had even been kicked in anger.

So ladies and gents - if you were ever in any doubt that negativity had an effect on the players, there it is....

The "other player" loved Joe, and thought he was a brilliant wee player who couldn't defend for toffee, so was utterly mystified as to why Miller persisted with him at LB where he struggled, when he was clearly a very good player when played in his natural position.

ronaldo7
21-02-2017, 04:45 PM
49 minutes, Brilliant:aok::greengrin

BroxburnHibee
21-02-2017, 04:47 PM
Fairly recently I was speaking to someone who played in the same team as Joe.

He remembered times when Joe's name was booed when the teams were announced in the ground as the players were warming up. He said you could visibly see Joe's shoulders slump upon hearing it, before a ball had even been kicked in anger.

So ladies and gents - if you were ever in any doubt that negativity had an effect on the players, there it is....

The "other player" loved Joe, and thought he was a brilliant wee player who couldn't defend for toffee, so was utterly mystified as to why Miller persisted with him at LB where he struggled, when he was clearly a very good player when played in his natural position.

It's true.

One of the worst instances I remember was away to Dundee Utd. Was disgusted by that.

jeffers
21-02-2017, 04:57 PM
It's true.

One of the worst instances I remember was away to Dundee Utd. Was disgusted by that.

Not excusing it, but was that game directly after a game at Ibrox ? My recollection is we went in 1-0 up at half time, JT came on for an injured Graham Mitchell and in the space of about 10 minutes he scored an own goal and gave away another.

I wrote to Alex Miller and he invited me down for a chat. One of the things he said that stuck with me was about JT - said "you can't teach him anything."

Watching the video JT comes across as a good guy, sad how nerves and crowd reaction affected him so badly. Hate to think how he'd have got on with Butcher and Malpas !

HibbyAndy
21-02-2017, 05:26 PM
That was a really good listen and insight to how super Joe seen his life at hibs.

Never knew Blackley signed him though i always thought Miller did.

He took mega stick and when you think back most of it really was unjustified , A true honest player that gave his all like he said.:not worth:not worth

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2017, 05:28 PM
What a great watch, he's quite a funny man. :thumbsup:

TheCabbage
21-02-2017, 06:49 PM
IMO The best goal that Joe scored was in the second last game of the 87/88 season against Aberdeen at Pittodrie on a cold midweek evening. Hibs played really well that night and Joe topped it off by running through the middle of the Dons defence from about the half way line turning Willie Miller inside out so much so that he was nearly corkscrewed into the pitch before Joe thumped a low drive into the net. Great goal and a rare win aginst a good Aberdeen team.

Remember that game well. Sure I sat an o grade exam in the morning then mad dash to get the Hawkhill bus up!

bigwheel
21-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Remember that game well. Sure I sat an o grade exam in the morning then mad dash to get the Hawkhill bus up!

Did Kano score that night too ? Playing centre forward ?

EVENTUALLY
21-02-2017, 07:27 PM
Did Kano score that night too ? Playing centre forward ?

Yes he did. Hibs were great that night and took the game to Aberdeen at every opportunity for a well deserved win.

stantonhibby
21-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Not excusing it, but was that game directly after a game at Ibrox ? My recollection is we went in 1-0 up at half time, JT came on for an injured Graham Mitchell and in the space of about 10 minutes he scored an own goal and gave away another.

I wrote to Alex Miller and he invited me down for a chat. One of the things he said that stuck with me was about JT - said "you can't teach him anything."

Watching the video JT comes across as a good guy, sad how nerves and crowd reaction affected him so badly. Hate to think how he'd have got on with Butcher and Malpas !

I remember that Ibrox game, he certainly turned the game that night ! Did it not finish 4-2 ?

Jonnyboy
21-02-2017, 08:16 PM
Brilliant stuff, Big G. Joe was always a favourite of mine and on many occasions I 'fell out' with fellow Hibs fans when they were slagging him :wink:

jeffers
21-02-2017, 09:16 PM
I remember that Ibrox game, he certainly turned the game that night ! Did it not finish 4-2 ?

Yes, we got it back to 2-2, but McCoist scored a cracker from about 30 yards (think it was their 4th.)

Like I said didn't excuse JT being booed at Tannadice but the game at Ibrox was one for him to forget that's for sure.

edwards
21-02-2017, 09:27 PM
The Italian shergar well done Joe a fans favourite and will never be forgoton, still go on about how good yer crosses into the box were and they now wind me up about it blah blah blah Tortolano would have never crossed a ball like that.

GORDONSMITH7
21-02-2017, 09:28 PM
Brilliant stuff, Big G. Joe was always a favourite of mine and on many occasions I 'fell out' with fellow Hibs fans when they were slagging him :wink:

Sons and grandsons of these erses still exist John and when they bully Hibs players unjustifiably should be challenged in my opinion.

BIG G

Jonnyboy
21-02-2017, 09:51 PM
Sons and grandsons of these erses still exist John and when they bully Hibs players unjustifiably should be challenged in my opinion.

BIG G

:agree:

Mon Dieu4
21-02-2017, 10:40 PM
Joe was my first childhood hero at Hibs when I was 5 or 6, can't even remember why, might have been the exotic name, infact the first number I ever got on a Hibs strip was 3 in honour of him, thank god it was before names were on the strips, Tortolano would have cost a fortune and went sleeve to sleeve on me at that age :faf:

BSEJVT
21-02-2017, 11:06 PM
Great watch

If ever there was a straight from the horses mouth explanation of what the effect of abuse versus the effect of support can do for a players performance then there it was.

Great servant to the Hibs and a very good player on his day too.

ajf
22-02-2017, 03:08 AM
Yes, we got it back to 2-2, but McCoist scored a cracker from about 30 yards (think it was their 4th.)

Like I said didn't excuse JT being booed at Tannadice but the game at Ibrox was one for him to forget that's for sure.

Direct from a free kick , straight in the top corner like a bullet, 1st and only time I saw fat sally take a free kick

euro Hibby
22-02-2017, 02:58 PM
I remember joe used to get pelters and often felt sorry for him, but a good player on his day. For those wondering about the Electric beach tanning Salon, that was owned by
A Regulator or non other than Pete Robertson , sadly often ejected from here over the years, but a hiibby nonetheless .

Baader
22-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Never understand why some feel the need to regularly shout abuse at players representing their club. Often when they haven't even done anything wrong. Would rather they just stayed away to be honest even if it meant 1000 off the gate. 'Supporter' means just that. The only time I think it's warranted is if someone is not giving their all. And if if a player isn't good enough, that's the manager's fault.