PDA

View Full Version : Sutton Utd vs Arsenal

Sergey
20-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Brilliant - a Pub League side I know well.

Regardless of the score, enter into the side-bet that is the 'Balls-out-the-Ground' spread. Those attending in my company chip in £5 a head and the winner scoops the pot. You have to guess the exact number or else the ante gets carried forward to the next match.

Knowing the ground, the smart money (mine) is on 6.

BotG updates top follow :greengrin

silverhibee
21-02-2017, 11:45 AM
SSN Breaking News.

Gambling Commission open investigation in to Sutton sub goalkeeper for eating a pie during the game last night.

Seemingly bookies were taking bets on it, price was 8/1

He was caught eating a pie near the end of the game.

--------
21-02-2017, 12:42 PM
SSN Breaking News.

Gambling Commission open investigation in to Sutton sub goalkeeper for eating a pie during the game last night.

He's a big lad, it was a cold night - he's got to keep his strength up .... :greengrin

Shows where getting yourself involved with lowlife like the Sun can lead.

Manager said "I don't think it shows us in the best light."

Neither does turning out with a Sun sponsorship decal on the front of the team's shirts, mate.

hibee-boys
21-02-2017, 12:45 PM
He was the sub keeper? Had the sound down, thought he was on the coaching team!

Alex Trager
21-02-2017, 12:47 PM

He was the sun keeper and the keeping coach!

He ate his pie once it was certain he wouldn't be on

--------
21-02-2017, 12:48 PM

Last keeper I saw that size and shape was Tommy Younger - around 1967, when he was well retired and serving on the board. You had to move fast to capture a pie when big Tam was around, I tell you.

:wink:

lapsedhibee
21-02-2017, 02:03 PM
SSN Breaking News.

"We are told we are not allowed to gamble as it is full-time professional football," he added. "In no way did I put anyone in jeopardy of that - this is not the case here, this is just a bit of fun and me being hungry."

So, nothing to do with betting. He was just hungry.

Could this, at last, be a footballer stupider than Barry The Crab?

Moody Blues
21-02-2017, 03:02 PM
I have not been enjoying the football much this season but thoroughly enjoyed this game
Thought Sutton played well and for a team languishing near the bottom of the national league they played well.
Really liked there big forward who rattled Arsenals bar in the second half

leither17
21-02-2017, 03:15 PM
That's the keeper resigned

Jonnyboy
21-02-2017, 03:23 PM
Last keeper I saw that size and shape was Tommy Younger - around 1967, when he was well retired and serving on the board. You had to move fast to capture a pie when big Tam was around, I tell you.

:wink:

Have you forgotten Tubby Ogston, Doddie ? 😀

silverhibee
21-02-2017, 03:24 PM
That's the keeper resigned

A costly pie for him.

Wonder if bets had been placed.

Steve20
21-02-2017, 03:26 PM
He's a big lad, it was a cold night - he's got to keep his strength up .... :greengrin

Shows where getting yourself involved with lowlife like the Sun can lead.

Manager said "I don't think it shows us in the best light."

Neither does turning out with a Sun sponsorship decal on the front of the team's shirts, mate.

No worse than having a bookmaker as a sponsor.

lapsedhibee
21-02-2017, 03:30 PM
A costly pie for him.

Wonder if bets had been placed.

Been removed from the BBC site now but earlier he was being quoted to the effect that a few of his mates had put money on, and their winnings would cover the cost of getting in to the match, or similar.

silverhibee
21-02-2017, 03:43 PM
Been removed from the BBC site now but earlier he was being quoted to the effect that a few of his mates had put money on, and their winnings would cover the cost of getting in to the match, or similar.

Club have just said that if any staff have been found to have put a bet on this they will sacked.

I find it baffling that a bookie would take a bet like that, alarm bells would be ringing straight away, wonder if any bookies paid out, pretty poor if they didn't, there own fault for accepting a bet like that in the 1st place.

lapsedhibee
21-02-2017, 04:03 PM
Club have just said that if any staff have been found to have put a bet on this they will sacked.

I find it baffling that a bookie would take a bet like that, alarm bells would be ringing straight away, wonder if any bookies paid out, pretty poor if they didn't, there own fault for accepting a bet like that in the 1st place.

Daily Mail claims that "The bookmaker claim to have paid out a five-figure sum to punters who had backed their 8-1 offer, publicised in print and online in the lead-up to Sutton-Arsenal game."

jackfreid
21-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Give this man his contract back! Sutton is his life and this should not be taken away from him over something so stupid

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb/489/858/706/give-wayne-shaw-his-contract-back/

--------
21-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Have you forgotten Tubby Ogston, Doddie ? ��

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xr/592226392.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5F8792AC241719DAF AA15E55ABF7C62A0CB39E1941B0FA2E3A55A1E4F32AD3138

The stalwart young man third from the left, back row, above? Wouldnae want to meet him on a dark night, that's for sure. Big fella.

Keepers had to be built out of granite and girders in those days. I'd like to see a modern striker messing with either Mr Ogston or Mr Younger in their pomp. Only one winner in either case.

For the record - second from the right, front row, is Ernie Winchester, the then Aberdeen centre-forward. The big guy beside him's Doug Coutts, the centre-half. Fancy that pair homing in on you as the corner comes in?

And I agree with silverhibee - any bookie accepting a bet like that's asking for it. If the goalie has been sacked, I hope someone had a decent bet on for him to compensate.

Besides, what sort of team management lets the subs on the bench scoff pies during the match?

Coults1875
21-02-2017, 04:09 PM
I see they had a pitch invasion! Wonder if any of the rangers players were assaulted :cb

calumhibee1
21-02-2017, 04:10 PM
So the sun tries to mug him off about his weight and then he gets sacked for mugging them off back.. Ridiculous. Why are they taking this bet in the first place? The only possible outcome here is that either the punters lose money, or the punters win money and the bookie starts kicking off that it actually happened.

Treadstone
21-02-2017, 04:10 PM
I don't believe the five figure payout. They would never take a grand plus on a novelty bet. Anyone who knows how bookies work knows they would have shut the market down after the first fifty quid went on.

calumhibee1
21-02-2017, 04:11 PM
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xr/592226392.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5F8792AC241719DAF AA15E55ABF7C62A0CB39E1941B0FA2E3A55A1E4F32AD3138

The stalwart young man third from the left, back row, above? Wouldnae want to meet him on a dark night, that's for sure. Big fella.

Keepers had to be built out of granite and girders in those days. I'd like to see a modern striker messing with either Mr Ogston or Mr Younger in their pomp. Only one winner in either case.

I agree with silverhibee - any bookie accepting a bet like that's asking for it. If the goalie has been sacked, I hope someone had a decent bet on for him to compensate.

Besides, what sort of team management lets the subs on the bench scoff pies during the match?

While I get that it doesn't totally excuse it, they'd used all their subs and there was no chance of him coming on at this point.

Dunbar Hibee
21-02-2017, 04:14 PM
I don't believe the five figure payout. They would never take a grand plus on a novelty bet. Anyone who knows how bookies work knows they would have shut the market down after the first fifty quid went on.

Yeah and seemingly the maximum amount you could put on was £5.

Hibrandenburg
21-02-2017, 04:33 PM
What's next? Hopefully the bookies will give 5/1 odds on the whole hearts team breathing during the game tomorrow and get the SFA to throw the book at them if they do.

Velma Dinkley
21-02-2017, 05:12 PM
Was the pie relegated to his stomach, did it cease to exist or was it liquidated?

Alex Trager
21-02-2017, 05:46 PM
So the sun tries to mug him off about his weight and then he gets sacked for mugging them off back.. Ridiculous. Why are they taking this bet in the first place? The only possible outcome here is that either the punters lose money, or the punters win money and the bookie starts kicking off that it actually happened.

Spot on man.

They have totally degraded the gadji with the pie bet.

**** them

CyberSauzee
21-02-2017, 05:56 PM
Was the pie relegated to his stomach, did it cease to exist or was it liquidated?

I gather the pie re-emerged today in a congealed mass that looked nothing like the original entity. The SFA are though 100% convinced that this new steaming blob is in fact the same pie that was eaten last night.

overdrive
21-02-2017, 06:47 PM

I think it was five figures in total rather than from one bet.

Magnus
21-02-2017, 07:29 PM
Whole thing smacks as if it was set up by Sun Bet for the publicity and this guy has gone along with it.
On one of the biggest nights in their history it must have been a kick in the teeth to the manager who has been there for years and never taken a wage, but pumped over £1m of his own money into the club, including paying for the pitch.
Quite right he was booted out.

hibbysam
21-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Whole thing smacks as if it was set up by Sun Bet for the publicity and this guy has gone along with it.
On one of the biggest nights in their history it must have been a kick in the teeth to the manager who has been there for years and never taken a wage, but pumped over £1m of his own money into the club, including paying for the pitch.
Quite right he was booted out.

Why is it a kick in the teeth to the manager? He wasn't getting on the pitch, he's only on the bench to fill spaces, and has a bit of a laugh at a bookies expense. God help the man for trying to bring some hilarity to the game.

Tobias Funke
21-02-2017, 08:22 PM
Why is it a kick in the teeth to the manager? He wasn't getting on the pitch, he's only on the bench to fill spaces, and has a bit of a laugh at a bookies expense. God help the man for trying to bring some hilarity to the game.

The sight of an overweight man chomping a pie in the dugout was hilarious right enough. Nearly cracked a rib laughing at it.

hibbysam
21-02-2017, 08:24 PM
The sight of an overweight man chomping a pie in the dugout was hilarious right enough. Nearly cracked a rib laughing at it.

I, and many others found it highly amusing in an otherwise boring game of football.

Eyrie
21-02-2017, 08:28 PM
It would have been funny if it had been his own idea and not a publicity stunt for the Sun.

HibernianJK
21-02-2017, 09:03 PM

I pity you if you didn't manage to find that slightly amusing. Lighten up.

Salt N Sauzee
21-02-2017, 09:14 PM
It would have been funny if it had been his own idea and not a publicity stunt for the Sun.

I read that it wasn't even a publicity stunt. The S*n ran a market trying to rip the pish out of him, his mates seen it and told him about it so he acted on it trying to get the last laugh and it's cost him big time. A real shame he's lost his job as he comes across as a good guy. If anything this whole situation just shows how sterilised, boring and humourless football in England is becoming. There's a hell of a lot more entertainment in our leagues in the space of a week than there is in an entire season down there.

21-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Think some folk are over reacting to it and need to lighten up a bit however, someone on social media made the very valid point that if this had happened in Scotland there would be a lot of scoffing (and i don't just mean on pies) and people saying "this is why football in this country is laughed at, this is embrassaing etc". where as its being given legend status and "why these cup games are so wonderful" because it was in England.

The guy was obviously doing it because of a bet or just making a laugh out of the slagging he's been getting. Either way, good on the guy. If the bookies were putting that sort of bet out to take the mick then they can't complain if they get burnt from it. I think its a bit poor how the club have reacted. The guy obviously loves the club, he sleep in the ground 3 nights week and helps get involved with the running of the stadium, pitch maintenance etc. Maybe a word in his hear at most but pretty harsh to ask him to hand in his resignation IMO.

Jonnyboy
21-02-2017, 09:24 PM

Correct use of the plural there :greengrin

21-02-2017, 09:32 PM

Agreed. So much of the funny aspect of football is being kicked out. Players celebrations getting booking etc. Fair enough if a player scores then run to the opposition fans to wind them up or something but I can never understand yellow cards for players who run and celebrate with their OWN supporters.

silverhibee
21-02-2017, 11:13 PM
Think some folk are over reacting to it and need to lighten up a bit however, someone on social media made the very valid point that if this had happened in Scotland there would be a lot of scoffing (and i don't just mean on pies) and people saying "this is why football in this country is laughed at, this is embrassaing etc". where as its being given legend status and "why these cup games are so wonderful" because it was in England.

The guy was obviously doing it because of a bet or just making a laugh out of the slagging he's been getting. Either way, good on the guy. If the bookies were putting that sort of bet out to take the mick then they can't complain if they get burnt from it. I think its a bit poor how the club have reacted. The guy obviously loves the club, he sleep in the ground 3 nights week and helps get involved with the running of the stadium, pitch maintenance etc. Maybe a word in his hear at most but pretty harsh to ask him to hand in his resignation IMO.

Also helps out with the girls and handicap teams for Sutton, the more i think about his punishment is way over the top, not as though it affected the result of the game, players are betting on games and getting 3 game suspensions for it, the bookies were stupid in the 1st place to take a bet like that then complain that it happened.

He made a silly mistake, but punishment is way over the top.

--------
21-02-2017, 11:15 PM
While I get that it doesn't totally excuse it, they'd used all their subs and there was no chance of him coming on at this point.

Think some folk are over reacting to it and need to lighten up a bit however, someone on social media made the very valid point that if this had happened in Scotland there would be a lot of scoffing (and I don't just mean on pies) and people saying "this is why football in this country is laughed at, this is embarrassing etc". where as its being given legend status and "why these cup games are so wonderful" because it was in England.

The guy was obviously doing it because of a bet or just making a laugh out of the slagging he's been getting. Either way, good on the guy. If the bookies were putting that sort of bet out to take the mick then they can't complain if they get burnt from it. I think it's a bit poor how the club have reacted. The guy obviously loves the club, he sleep in the ground 3 nights week and helps get involved with the running of the stadium, pitch maintenance etc. Maybe a word in his hear at most but pretty harsh to ask him to hand in his resignation IMO.

You're right. This isn't the end of civilisation as we know it. It's a guy being made fun of because of his size having a go back at the folk who making fun of him. The bookies seem to have thought it a hilarious to take the mickey out of the guy, and it's ended up costing them money.

I've never heard of a poverty-stricken bookmaker. Folk used to say that at the end of the race-meetings at Musselburgh the punters would be standing in the queue waiting for the bus home while the bookmakers drove past them in their Jags and Rollers.

Who has the guy really hurt? Some fat cats have lost a few quid and some football officials have had red faces. Big deal.

Didn't some of our players back themselves at long odds (50-1?) to win the League Cup in 1991-92? And didn't the authorities go after them for 'corruption'?

Which it would only have been if they had backed themselves to LOSE, and then thrown the final?

Stevie Reid
22-02-2017, 10:32 AM
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/media/even-funny-pie-stories-now-ending-in-abject-misery-20170222122633