PDA

View Full Version : Creative set pieces

One_Sauzee
19-02-2017, 12:54 PM
I seen a video earlier of RB Leipzig scoring after 8 seconds from taking centre.

It was the exact same goal Brondby scored against us at ER. https://youtu.be/nX65nou50sQ

It catches an unprepared team off guard and you have a great chance of scoring with it. We should try it on Wednesday :thumbsup:

It got me wondering though, why don't you see much of this kind of creativity in most games?

Would it not be worth us trying new creative routines? I reckon if they were clever enough theyd increase the conversion rate. Sick of seeing balls lumped into the box from a corner or free kick which are pretty much hit and hopes and 9 times out of 10 it's a wasted chance!

Boyle89
19-02-2017, 01:21 PM
We scored a creative set piece a couple weeks back. McGinns deflected volley. Creative set pieces are hard to do when the other team have 9 or 10 men in the box defending them.

wookie70
19-02-2017, 01:24 PM
We were planning that move but you have now alerted the Jambos to it. Set pieces are huge for us at the moment as we seem devoid of ideas in open play. I would like to see some more rehearsed moves for corners and free kicks. We scored with the McGinn one but it is rare that we try it. Lots of set pieces in sports like Hockey, Rugby and American Football where teams are drilled in their roles. No idea why football seems to rely on putting a decent ball in and hoping for the best.

Itsnoteasy
19-02-2017, 02:34 PM
We scored a creative set piece a couple weeks back. McGinns deflected volley. Creative set pieces are hard to do when the other team have 9 or 10 men in the box defending them.

Most set pieces have 9 or 10 sometimes 11 players in the box defending them

danhibees1875
19-02-2017, 03:38 PM
Amateur stuff. What you want is a long punt to no-one and a throw in to the opposition. That's how it's done. :agree:

A Hi-Bee
19-02-2017, 04:20 PM
Would this include how to take throw in's as we give the ball away more than any other team I can think off when it comes to taking shy's, no movement at all and even worse when most of them are on the right hand side of the park, why wait for D. Gray to move up to take a throw in just for the ball to go to the opposition, nothing new here as they have been crap at this for years now.
What was it old Shankley used to say if the other teams no got the baw then they cannie score, yet we just continue to gie them the baw from throw ins, mabe's we dont need to practice this part of the game.

bubblesmorrison
19-02-2017, 10:20 PM
I have my u10 teams in the states do "creative corners and free kicks" the kids love them and we have scored a good few goals from them.

Don't see why we can't see similar from Hibs

NAE NOOKIE
19-02-2017, 10:44 PM
I seen a video earlier of RB Leipzig scoring after 8 seconds from taking centre.

It was the exact same goal Brondby scored against us at ER. https://youtu.be/nX65nou50sQ

It catches an unprepared team off guard and you have a great chance of scoring with it. We should try it on Wednesday :thumbsup:

It got me wondering though, why don't you see much of this kind of creativity in most games?

Would it not be worth us trying new creative routines? I reckon if they were clever enough theyd increase the conversion rate. Sick of seeing balls lumped into the box from a corner or free kick which are pretty much hit and hopes and 9 times out of 10 it's a wasted chance!

It helps if you have an opposition keeper willing to drop the ball at the strikers feet though :greengrin

fat freddy
19-02-2017, 10:46 PM
Now that we've signed Berbatov all free kicks and set pieces should be left to him.

Mikey09
19-02-2017, 11:58 PM
We should be working hard on set pieces for the Hearts game. They don't look to clever defending them in my opinion.

High-On-Hibs
20-02-2017, 12:31 AM
We usually punt it out for a throw in to the opposition from the centre circle kick off. Never understood why we (and most teams) do that.