PDA

View Full Version : Lennon only said what we are all thinking

bordergreen
19-02-2017, 10:43 AM
I can't believe that Lennon is being slated for what he said after the game yesterday. I am sure a lot of what he said, was also being said in the stands.

I agree with every word he said.

He sounded passionate, like he really cares, like the lack of effort from players really bothered him. I for one applaud that. If he wasn't annoyed, I would be concerned. If the players can't take that, it is about time they went somewhere that kind of performance is acceptable.

i manage people in the workplace and encouragement will only get you so far. If someone is consistently under performing, there comes a time that that is addressed with a disciplinary.

i would hope that what Lennon said after the match makes the players sit up, have a look in the mirror, and make sure they don't go in to another game thinking they can coast through it without putting in the hard work required.

P.S. I am not a Celtic Fan, as seems to be suggested every time someone on here sticks up for Lennon.

Baldy Foghorn
19-02-2017, 10:45 AM
Good post:aok:

Billy Whizz
19-02-2017, 10:47 AM
Think the majority of fans are in support of his rant, similar views on the bounce as well

euro Hibby
19-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Agreed, he has them week in and week out and he knows when they are at it. Part of being successful in sport is via self motivation or motivation from outside sources. Some players have great talent but never make it so Lennon is just doing is job and making sure everyone knows that we need to do better and perform to a top level always.

MWHIBBIES
19-02-2017, 10:54 AM
I wasnt thinking what he said, I was asking myself "what was the plan to score goals and win yestersay?" which really comes from the manager. There were absolutely zero tactics yesterday.

Fifehibby74
19-02-2017, 10:57 AM
Think the main frustration about yesterday's performance/result (or lack off!) was that it was a great opportunity to put a massive gap between us and the rest and in time honoured Hibs fashion we didn't take it and take some of the pressure of the club (fans included by the way)

Really need to buck up our ideas for Dunfermline game - league is the priority for the club

SlickShoes
19-02-2017, 10:58 AM
I don't understand the folk that are comparing it with Butcher either, he flat out told players they were useless and would be shipped out ASAP.

This is a manager trying to light a fire under them and say I know you are good players but you need to raise your game. Sometimes just telling them that calmly will not work.

Our players for the last 3 years have had issues getting themselves through "lesser" games, last year was particularly bad with our Feb-April league form being truly awful. Lennon is getting on top of this right away and letting them know it's not acceptable to do it AGAIN.

This is the key point in the season, we NEED to win the games coming up in the league even if they aren't the big marquee games players want to be playing in, this is where they are and the only way they will get bigger games to play in is by winning the "lesser" ones this season.

Even last season Rangers weren't our problem it was everyone else.

Everyone can see that when our guys are up for it we are fantastic, but watching the last two league games you can tell some of the players aren't giving 100% especially with the hearts game inbetween as a comparison point.

emerald green
19-02-2017, 11:01 AM
Think the main frustration about yesterday's performance/result (or lack off!) was that it was a great opportunity to put a massive gap between us and the rest and in time honoured Hibs fashion we didn't take it and take some of the pressure of the club (fans included by the way)

Really need to buck up our ideas for Dunfermline game - league is the priority for the club

Spot on. :top marks

Blaster
19-02-2017, 11:02 AM
He'd have been slated if he had come out protecting the players after yesterday. For me he did the right thing and hopefully gives them the kick up the backside to push on and win this league as quickly as possible

HFCdeb
19-02-2017, 11:03 AM
I don't understand the folk that are comparing it with Butcher either, he flat out told players they were useless and would be shipped out ASAP.

This is a manager trying to light a fire under them and say I know you are good players but you need to raise your game. Sometimes just telling them that calmly will not work.

Our players for the last 3 years have had issues getting themselves through "lesser" games, last year was particularly bad with our Feb-April league form being truly awful. Lennon is getting on top of this right away and letting them know it's not acceptable to do it AGAIN.

This is the key point in the season, we NEED to win the games coming up in the league even if they aren't the big marquee games players want to be playing in, this is where they are and the only way they will get bigger games to play in is by winning the "lesser" ones this season.

Everyone can see that when our guys are up for it we are fantastic, but watching the last two league games you can tell some of the players aren't giving 100% especially with the hearts game inbetween as a comparison point.

Nailed it.

Smartie
19-02-2017, 11:06 AM
If we put the Hearts game(s) to one side for a moment, we're coming off two very poor performances in games against Ayr United at home and Raith Rovers away, a sequence of games over which we've dropped 4 points.

He thinks it is unacceptable and he has said so.

We've been done a huge favour by Dundee United's form dropping off a cliff in January.

If they'd kept their previous form going we'd be in a lot more trouble.

There is little margin for error in a season in which anything other than first place is unthinkable.

I think people are a bit taken aback because we're not used to hearing managers being so direct, but tbh I'm 100% behind him. I actually think our players ARE made of the right stuff and will respond to it in the right way which wasn't the case with Butcher's team.

Smartie
19-02-2017, 11:07 AM
I wasnt thinking what he said, I was asking myself "what was the plan to score goals and win yestersay?" which really comes from the manager. There were absolutely zero tactics yesterday.

Maybe the failure of the players to carry out tactics is one of the reasons why Lennon is as upset as he is?

col02
19-02-2017, 11:08 AM

You are aware that teams don't just let Hibs play their own game aren't you? Raith set up to pack the midfield yesterday stopping us from playing through the middle. It might have been worth going 4231 or 433 but that's OK in retrospect.

jdships
19-02-2017, 11:20 AM
I can't believe that Lennon is being slated for what he said after the game yesterday. I am sure a lot of what he said, was also being said in the stands.

He sounded passionate, like he really cares, like the lack of effort from players really bothered him. I for one applaud that. If he wasn't annoyed, I would be concerned. If the players can't take that, it is about time they went somewhere that kind of performance is acceptable.

i manage people in the workplace and encouragement will only get you so far. If someone is consistently under performing, there comes a time that that is addressed with a disciplinary.

i would hope that what Lennon said after the match makes the players sit up, have a look in the mirror, and make sure they don't go in to another game thinking they can coast through it without putting in the hard work required.

P.S. I am not a Celtic Fan, as seems to be suggested every time someone on here sticks up for Lennon.

Can't find fault in a single word you write
:thumbsup::top marks

MWHIBBIES
19-02-2017, 11:21 AM
You are aware that teams don't just let Hibs play their own game aren't you? Raith set up to pack the midfield yesterday stopping us from playing through the middle. It might have been worth going 4231 or 433 but that's OK in retrospect.Thanks mate, I am aware of that but it isn't really that simple is it.

''we've worked all week on the tactics for this match but Raith set up to stop us playing so we just folded''

I'm not buying that, our plan to score goals and win that game was nonexistent and it showed. The plan can't be all 22 players playing well and Hibs winning because our lads are better.

col02
19-02-2017, 11:27 AM
Thanks mate, I am aware of that but it isn't really that simple is it.

''we've worked all week on the tactics for this match but Raith set up to stop us playing so we just folded''

I'm not buying that, our plan to score goals and win that game was nonexistent and it showed. The plan can't be all 22 players playing well and Hibs winning because our lads are better.

I'm sorry that was a wee bit condescending on my part - no offence intended. We're all frustrated at how hard a job Hibs are making of life in this league! The performance level I'm sure is a concern to fans and management alike. Hopefully a few good performances might be around the corner.

emerald green
19-02-2017, 11:30 AM

Are you seriously suggesting that the players and the coaching staff did not discuss, plan, or practice any tactics whatsoever in the week leading up to yesterday's game? "zero tactics". :no way:

hibby6270
19-02-2017, 11:32 AM
100% correct.

There have been a fair few on here who have vented anger at poor performances and have been slagged off big time for having the temerity to dare to say anything against the current team in the last 2 or 3 years. With a few exceptions, mainly in so called bigger games against Premiership teams in Cup games and Jambos & The Rangers while they were in this league, we have struggled to find the right formula to consistently beat the so called lesser teams in the Championship on a regular basis.

We have the ability. We dominate games. Truth is, these lesser teams see us as the Old Firm equivalent team and raise their game to initially try to not get beat and ultimately engineer a win against us if possible.

I agree with NL. We can't just turn up at every game and go through the motions as if it's a foregone conclusion we'll win. We must fight for every victory. Doing so will get us in the habit and sub-consciously should make it "easier" for us. Won't be easy. Every game from now until the end of the season should be treated by the players as another 21st May 2016. That'll do it!! GGTTH

MWHIBBIES
19-02-2017, 11:36 AM
I'm sorry that was a wee bit condescending on my part - no offence intended. We're all frustrated at how hard a job Hibs are making of life in this league! The performance level I'm sure is a concern to fans and management alike. Hopefully a few good performances might be around the corner.No worries mate, we all want the same thing.

Are you seriously suggesting that the players and the coaching staff did not discuss, plan, or practice any tactics whatsoever in the week leading up to yesterday's game? "zero tactics". :no way:

I'm not suggesting that but somewhere between Lennon and his staff coming up with those tactics and them being executed something must've went wrong. We had Fyvie in a strange position on the right, McGinn getting the ball off the back 4 and being way too deep, a striker who is really only good at heading the ball into the goal but no one crossing to him. It was all very confusing.

emerald green
19-02-2017, 11:42 AM
I'm not suggesting that but somewhere between Lennon and his staff coming up with those tactics and them being executed something must've went wrong. We had Fyvie in a strange position on the right, McGinn getting the ball off the back 4 and being way too deep, a striker who is really only good at heading the ball into the goal but no one crossing to him. It was all very confusing.

So it wasn't "zero tactics", it was more that the tactics didn't work. Or, they weren't executed correctly or well enough by the players possibly?

19-02-2017, 11:44 AM

This 100%. yesterday, the first half in particular, was absolutely woeful, they didn't look up for it at all and that is not acceptable at this club. Many managers in the past, just because we didn't get beat, would have sugarcoated that. Its refreshing to have someone like Lennon who will not accept anything less than 100% from his players EVERY game, not just the bigger games like derbies.

To compare to Butcher is utterly laughable. As you say, Butcher absolutely shot to hell any morale, put all the players down, showed absolutely no confidence in them and basically said they were crap and out the door at the next opportunity. Lennon is frustrated at them because he knows they are far better than that. He is telling them to play the way they can play and the players will know themselves that yesterday was not good enough. I would far rather we had a manager that will take a harsh line with them and fire them up to do better than a manager who will mollycoddle them and let them think that performances like yesterday is ok. Lennon shares the same frustrations as us fans, we know what this team are capable of, its a good team hence why yesterday was so disappointing. If that was a standard performance level from this team then we would probably just be ok with a point. If Lennon believed that his players played their best today and gave 100% then he wouldn't be this angry.

Lennon has been at celtic where the fans expect them to win EVERY week and will get on your back if they get beat or have a bad day at the office so Lennon knows all about keeping players focused and making sure they never take their eye off the ball. Perhaps too many players yesterday with one eye on wednesday and seen this game as less important. Not a smart move if that is the case as a few may have just cost themselves a place in the starting 11 next week. We'll see, but needless to say Lennon has some big calls to make in regards to wednesdays team.

HibsNutter
19-02-2017, 11:58 AM
I'm positive that rant was aimed at getting a huge response for Wednesday. Hopefully it has the desired effect if so.

SeanWilson
19-02-2017, 12:08 PM
Maybe the failure of the players to carry out tactics is one of the reasons why Lennon is as upset as he is?

Nah, he tells them to go out and play dreadfully, while ensuring they don't look like a goal threat mate 😝

wookie70
19-02-2017, 12:09 PM

And when your staff do need a disciplinary, once you have done the bollocking in private, I presume you call everyone in the workplace and all your customers and your competitors and their customers in to tell them too. Make sure there is someone who can stick it in the media so that anyone that wasn't there can also hear about it. It might work but it is very high risk and can be as much about a manager who has ran out of ideas for motivation and is deflecting as it is about poor performance. Hopefully it works for Lennon and Hibs, I remain to be convinced it was a good move.

Borderhibbie76
19-02-2017, 12:11 PM
We all love Alan Stubbs and he will forever be a legend for winning the holy grail and rightly so. That said...he was extremely guilty of accepting mediocre performances from the team similar to yesterday and Ayr 2 weeks ago. Some on here are looking back on the Stubbs era thru Cup win tinted glasses and forgetting the likes of morton at home 0 3, 2 defeats away to Dumbarton, alloa and Raith etc...the list goes on. I also don't buy the concensus on here that the league is any easier this year than last year. A sub standard Huns have been replaced by a sub standard Dundee Utd...other than that we have the likes of Falkirk, Morton, QOS and Dunfermline (instead of part time alloa). Lennon in my view is 100% right to blast the players, he knows they are capable of much better...let's hope this now has the desired effect and we motor away with this league.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

greenlex
19-02-2017, 12:19 PM
I vno problem with him being angry. I've no problem with him showing it. My problem is slating individual players publicly. That's for the dressing room. If he had to do it publicly it should have been a collective. I don't get why he has done the individual criticism in public full stop but baffles me why during a radio Clyde interview. Is he more familiar with the interviewer and let his guard down?

Borderhibbie76
19-02-2017, 12:23 PM
I vno problem with him being angry. I've no problem with him showing it. My problem is slating individual players publicly. That's for the dressing room. If he had to do it publicly it should have been a collective. I don't get why he has done the individual criticism in public full stop but baffles me why during a radio Clyde interview. Is he more familiar with the interviewer and let his guard down?
I wouldn't say he slated them tbh he said Jason scored a great free kick but done nothing in the game (correct) he said Mcginn was poor (correct) and fyvie (correct). He used them as examples of our under performance then highlighted pass marks went only to 3 players in the 1st hour, McGregor, Lewis and Graham. I don't see a problem - all 3 are big players for us who need to do more to drive us on...he is looking for leaders. If all 3 have anything about them...they should come out and bust a gut on weds to prove him wrong...that's the challenge he has laid down for them. Are they man enough??? That's the question

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
19-02-2017, 12:31 PM

I think it's blowing things out of proportion a bit to say he slated individual players. All he said is that they were poor in the game. Different story if he's coming out questioning this that and the next thing about them.

Noticeable the ones he dug out were our so called better players. I think it's basically his way of saying they need to be doing more, which they do. There has also been numerous occasions that he has praised individual players as well so I don't think it's a massive issue although I don't think he should make a habit of it.

MWHIBBIES
19-02-2017, 12:43 PM
So it wasn't "zero tactics", it was more that the tactics didn't work. Or, they weren't executed correctly or well enough by the players possibly?Or Lennon doesn't do a whole lot of tactical stuff when it comes to offence? Since November we have scored more than 1 goal from open play once (Dundee United at home). That is a pretty poor stat in this league and I can't really say I've seen a clear plan to consistently score goals over the last few months. At least Stubbs team were missing chances.

Players can't take all the blame for yesterday.

jacomo
19-02-2017, 12:57 PM

Straw man.

bordergreen
19-02-2017, 01:25 PM
And when your staff do need a disciplinary, once you have done the bollocking in private, I presume you call everyone in the workplace and all your customers and your competitors and their customers in to tell them too. Make sure there is someone who can stick it in the media so that anyone that wasn't there can also hear about it. It might work but it is very high risk and can be as much about a manager who has ran out of ideas for motivation and is deflecting as it is about poor performance. Hopefully it works for Lennon and Hibs, I remain to be convinced it was a good move.

There is always someone looking to dig you out. Ok, maybe disciplinary wasn't exactly the right word to use. Obviously you would never discuss a disciplinary publicly.

If you as a manager have discussed the same issues about a collective failing on a few occasions previously, you are more than entitled to raise the issue collectively. If I had raised the same issues with my team over and over again, had looked at my part in the failure, and come to the conclusion that the failure was because people were just not listening, or applying themselves in the proper manner, I would feel less inclined to take the flack for my team and cover up their shortcomings.

Again, well said Mr Lennon.

Martin Dundas
19-02-2017, 02:50 PM
I respect people for saying it as it is. Neil Lennon has been candid in the past so what's the big deal here. He says it as he sees it. No one I spoke with after the game was happy. I'm glad our manager wasn't either. He knows what he is doing way better than any of us. I'm delighted having him as our manager and believe he will steer us out of this brutally eye bleeding anti football league. It was never going to be easy. Or pretty.

houstonhibbee
19-02-2017, 03:08 PM
No worries mate, we all want the same thing.

So can anyone shed any light on what our tactics were yesterday? I agree it was all very baffling and agree that Graham will only score goals from good crosses into the box. The one good cross I can remember - a low cross from the left by Cummings - had no one anticipating it and trying to get on the end of it.

wookie70
19-02-2017, 03:34 PM
There is always someone looking to dig you out. Ok, maybe disciplinary wasn't exactly the right word to use. Obviously you would never discuss a disciplinary publicly.

If you as a manager have discussed the same issues about a collective failing on a few occasions previously, you are more than entitled to raise the issue collectively. If I had raised the same issues with my team over and over again, had looked at my part in the failure, and come to the conclusion that the failure was because people were just not listening, or applying themselves in the proper manner, I would feel less inclined to take the flack for my team and cover up their shortcomings.

Again, well said Mr Lennon.

He was calling the players unprofessional, I would say that is a disciplinary matter. It was also not a collective bollocking he named players who were poor and ones who he thought were ok. No idea about the ones he didn't name. He also said he would look at his own performance. I would say he should have done that first before the public bollocking.

wookie70
19-02-2017, 03:36 PM
So can anyone shed any light on what our tactics were yesterday? I agree it was all very baffling and agree that Graham will only score goals from good crosses into the box. The one good cross I can remember - a low cross from the left by Cummings - had no one anticipating it and trying to get on the end of it.

Humphrey put a great ball in later on but both strikers attacked the front post. Graham was already off at that point. It is very common to see our strikers make the same runs. They don't seem to work as a pair in any combination.

cmcd
19-02-2017, 04:17 PM
I for one don't understand people's criticism of Lennon .Do you honestly think he sends players out to play like they did yesterday . He has played and managed at a much higher standard than the Scottish Championship.For me it's the players mindset and this has been a failing quite often in my lifetime . Rome wasn't built in a day and Lennon has only been with us for a short period.Attendances tell me most fans are behind them and that's great as we all need to be backing them through good and bad

houstonhibbee
19-02-2017, 04:19 PM
I for one don't understand people's criticism of Lennon .Do you honestly think he sends players out to play like they did yesterday . He has played and managed at a much higher standard than the Scottish Championship.For me it's the players mindset and this has been a failing quite often in my lifetime . Rome wasn't built in a day and Lennon has only been with us for a short period.Attendances tell me most fans are behind them and that's great as we all need to be backing them through good and bad
I think you've completely missed the point

cmcd
19-02-2017, 04:21 PM
I think you've completely missed the point

Please explain

houstonhibbee
19-02-2017, 04:26 PM
Please explain
If you don't understand what's the point? Lennon's perceived lack of tactics. Manager's job. All stated in posts above.

Northernhibee
19-02-2017, 04:26 PM
Just because people are thinking it doesn't mean it should be said in public. Look at Trump.

A Hi-Bee
19-02-2017, 04:32 PM

Agreed that and the lack of one or two quality players in the critical final third of the park, it will be interesting to see what reaction he gets, as we need consistency. That photo on the bbc match report said it all as Parker was restraining him think he wanted to get onto the pitch to gently tell some of the players to get the finger oot.

Ilovehibs
19-02-2017, 04:44 PM

100% agree. A time and a place. His targeting of Cummings was out of order.

I hope his public personal criticism does not create a lack of confidence and a nervousness in those players particularly immediately before the cup derby.

Lennon is clearly entitled to manage his players as he chooses but for me he should avoid naming names.

Time will tell what response he gets.
Here's hoping it's a positive one.

Come on the boys.

cmcd
19-02-2017, 05:26 PM
If you don't understand what's the point? Lennon's perceived lack of tactics. Manager's job. All stated in posts above.
I realise I'm getting on a bit but I can read . I'm not missing any points .I don't agree with some of the criticism and that's my prerogative. At the end of the day NL wants the same as the supporters and has the knowledge to get us where we want to be . Posters on here including you and I don't. The time to criticise him is if we are still in this league next season . Obviously just my opinion

RoYO!
19-02-2017, 05:32 PM

Encouragement orrrr disciplinary. Glad I don't work for you.

Tried talking about their problems or offering further training?

emerald green
19-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Or Lennon doesn't do a whole lot of tactical stuff when it comes to offence? Since November we have scored more than 1 goal from open play once (Dundee United at home). That is a pretty poor stat in this league and I can't really say I've seen a clear plan to consistently score goals over the last few months. At least Stubbs team were missing chances.

Players can't take all the blame for yesterday.

You could be right. Maybe the fault lies with the players and the head coach? How do you apportion blame for a performance like yesterday? I'm baffled to be honest, but there surely has to be a question mark over the players' collective mentality. Hopefully they will prove me wrong, win on Wednesday night, and go on to "skoosh" this league. We'll see.

What is absolutely clear to me though is that yesterday isn't, by any stretch of the imagination, the first time I've witnessed this sort of thing from Hibs, going back long before Neil Lennon was even thought of as a Hibs manager.

I'm honestly not trying to be wise after the event here, but I had a feeling before the match that Hibs would not win yesterday.

I agree the stats you have provided are poor. Hibs though, as a team, has struggled to score enough goals from open play since they were relegated. At the moment it's only just enough to stay ahead of the three chasing teams. Without Jason Cummings goals Hibs would not be leading this league.

NAE NOOKIE
19-02-2017, 05:46 PM
Neil Lennon was never a guy to be quiet about his feelings on or off the pitch ..... he obviously watched yesterday getting angrier and angrier and snapped after the game. I don't like to see managers give the players a public roasting, but from all accounts the players gave him plenty of reason to do it ....... I can live with it so long as he doesn't start making a habit of it. As others have said perhaps Stubbs went too far the other way and there were times he should have had more of a go at the team in public.

One thing I do know is that we have a team capable of the performances he is demanding and there have been too many times this season where we have fallen below that.

But then there's Lennon himself ...... No matter how good Marvin Bartley was against the Yams, and he was very good, why did we need him on the park for this game? Did the manager have so little confidence in his centre back pairing that he thought they needed protected against the team with the 2nd worst scoring record in the division, he certainly didn't have Marvin on for his attacking qualities which are pretty well non existent. He clearly believes his team should be winning at places like Starks Park, so why doesn't he have the courage to stick Scott Martin in midfield and have at least one winger? From what I've seen of Martin he certainly doesn't shirk his defensive duties either.

Whatever the case, lets hope this is the last time this season we see Neil Lennon feel compelled to give his team a bollocking in the media ..... I cant see the players being so upset they throw the toys oot the pram ..... we'll see I suppose.

houstonhibbee
19-02-2017, 05:48 PM
:top marks
Neil Lennon was never a guy to be quiet about his feelings on or off the pitch ..... he obviously watched yesterday getting angrier and angrier and snapped after the game. I don't like to see managers give the players a public roasting, but from all accounts the players gave him plenty of reason to do it ....... I can live with it so long as he doesn't start making a habit of it. As others have said perhaps Stubbs went too far the other way and there were times he should have had more of a go at the team in public.

One thing I do know is that we have a team capable of the performances he is demanding and there have been too many times this season where we have fallen below that.

But then there's Lennon himself ...... No matter how good Marvin Bartley was against the Yams, and he was very good, why did we need him on the park for this game? Did the manager have so little confidence in his centre back pairing that he thought they needed protected against the team with the 2nd worst scoring record in the division, he certainly didn't have Marvin on for his attacking qualities which are pretty well non existent. He clearly believes his team should be winning at places like Starks Park, so why doesn't he have the courage to stick Scott Martin in midfield and have at least one winger? From what I've seen of Martin he certainly doesn't shirk his defensive duties either.

Whatever the case, lets hope this is the last time this season we see Neil Lennon feel compelled to give his team a bollocking in the media ..... I cant see the players being so upset they throw the toys oot the pram ..... we'll see I suppose.

:top marks

emerald green
19-02-2017, 05:51 PM
I await with great interest what the Hibs players, and the team captain in particular, have to say about their boss' criticism.

I hope it's a very positive response, both on and off the pitch. It really has to be.

wookie70
19-02-2017, 05:53 PM
I await with great interest what the Hibs players, and the team captain in particular, have to say about their boss' criticism.

I hope it's a very positive response, both on and off the pitch. It really has to be.

I don't want them to say a word about it. Let's wait until the next league game and see if it makes us play better.

emerald green
19-02-2017, 05:57 PM
I don't want them to say a word about it. Let's wait until the next league game and see if it makes us play better.

Fair enough, but I just feel that the criticism was so severe it needs a clear the air statement from the club captain.

I want the players then to really start doing their talking on the pitch, starting on Wednesday night, and in each league match until the Championship is secured. Despite a 7 point lead, this league is far from over.

green day
19-02-2017, 06:01 PM
it needs a clear the air statement from the club captain.

What makes you think the air isn't clear?

SDG maybe agrees that we were pish and need to pull the finger out sharpish.

Would that kind of statement help? I doubt it.

emerald green
19-02-2017, 06:12 PM
What makes you think the air isn't clear?

SDG maybe agrees that we were pish and need to pull the finger out sharpish.

Would that kind of statement help? I doubt it.

What makes you think it is? Maybe SDG agrees that the team was pish, maybe he doesn't? I don't know. Do you? Have you spoken to him?

It all depends on what he actually says does it not?

I simply think it's something the Hibs supporters in general might want to hear. That's all really. No hidden agenda. :aok:

Smartie
19-02-2017, 06:13 PM
I think the matter should be closed.

They'll have gone home with the criticism ringing in their ears last night and had today to think about it.

First thing tomorrow morning it should be all positive and all about preparing in the best way possible for the Hearts game.

If anyone thinks about feeling sorry for themselves then they don't play, Jason included.

I have a wee feeling this might all work out for the best.

familyman
19-02-2017, 06:27 PM
I think the matter should be closed.

They'll have gone home with the criticism ringing in their ears last night and had today to think about it.

First thing tomorrow morning it should be all positive and all about preparing in the best way possible for the Hearts game.

If anyone thinks about feeling sorry for themselves then they don't play, Jason included.

I have a wee feeling this might all work out for the best.
Ok but I wonder what it will take for this team to realise we need to win and win well to escape this league......clearly some of the players are off and on form far too often for professionals......maybe we need a new bonus system? The Cup comes second this year ..but of course we need to beat Hearts then finally get going on a real run in league ...

bordergreen
19-02-2017, 07:05 PM
He was calling the players unprofessional, I would say that is a disciplinary matter. It was also not a collective bollocking he named players who were poor and ones who he thought were ok. No idea about the ones he didn't name. He also said he would look at his own performance. I would say he should have done that first before the public bollocking.

I am not sure why you think what he said was so wrong. Maybe you could say what you think he should have done?

As a Hibs Fan, I want our manager to be pissed off and ask questions of people when they don't show the fight and determination they should when pulling on our famous jersey.

Most of us have been saying for a few years now that there is a lack of fight and passion about our team. Now that we have someone who won't accept mediocrity, someone who is passionate and dermined to win, people start complaining.

I don't understand that.

Smartie
19-02-2017, 07:52 PM
Ok but I wonder what it will take for this team to realise we need to win and win well to escape this league......clearly some of the players are off and on form far too often for professionals......maybe we need a new bonus system? The Cup comes second this year ..but of course we need to beat Hearts then finally get going on a real run in league ...

I simply don't think we're as good as we think we are.

We should have enough about us to win the league but I just don't believe that we're a cohesive unit, especially attacking.

We could treble the wages or double the bonuses of these players and I still think we would be getting the same results.

A lot of thought needs to into the type of goals we're going to score, how we're going to create them, and then to get the players in to carry it out.

We've struggled to score enough goals to meet whichever target we've been going for for more than a decade now. Credit to Lennon that he's sorted the defence out to the extent that it probably won't matter this season.

The Captain....
19-02-2017, 08:07 PM

Agree with you..I think in one of the interviews he did include himself in his criticism but for me I had no idea how we were set up to create chances yesterday unless you count an aimless diagonal 60 yard hoof from Fontaine.

Tactics were as much of a disgrace as the performance yesterday and not for the first time.

ancient hibee
19-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Agree with you..I think in one of the interviews he did include himself in his criticism but for me I had no idea how we were set up to create chances yesterday unless you count an aimless diagonal 60 yard hoof from Fontaine.

Tactics were as much of a disgrace as the performance yesterday and not for the first time.
I would think that the tactics were for our highly rated midfielders to make passes and our highly rated attackers to make runs to collect them and put the ball in the net.As this hasn't happened too often this season I would suggest that it may be due to the players not being as good as they and we think they are.Or do you think that the last thing Lennon tells them is not to try too hard to win the game.Don't you perhaps think that it's more likely that the players are not doing what they're told rather than a highly experienced player and manager not knowing what to do?

wookie70
19-02-2017, 09:29 PM
I am not sure why you think what he said was so wrong. Maybe you could say what you think he should have done?

As a Hibs Fan, I want our manager to be pissed off and ask questions of people when they don't show the fight and determination they should when pulling on our famous jersey.

Most of us have been saying for a few years now that there is a lack of fight and passion about our team. Now that we have someone who won't accept mediocrity, someone who is passionate and dermined to win, people start complaining.

I don't understand that.

It's not what he said it is where, why, when and how he said it. If I was struggling at work my boss openly naming me and criticising my professionalism and attitude in front of thousands of people including my peers and competitors might not improve my performance. Like it or not footballers are doing a job of work and are employees.

Other than, again, mentioning Jason's performance I don't think I would disagree with much of what he said. I certainly think the team look unmotivated and I definitely think he needs to look at his own performance. What I don't know is was it calculated or through anger, looked the latter but hard to tell. Will it be positive, negative or have no effect. Was it to deflect away the blame from him for another dismal performance or simply because he has said it behind closed doors without a positive reaction. The transfer window has closed barring signing players no-one else wants our squad is what will get us over the line or not. We won't know for a few weeks whether Saturday's interviews were a masterstroke or a disaster. I hope he got it right or at least never had a negative effect.

wookie70
19-02-2017, 09:46 PM
I would think that the tactics were for our highly rated midfielders to make passes and our highly rated attackers to make runs to collect them and put the ball in the net.As this hasn't happened too often this season I would suggest that it may be due to the players not being as good as they and we think they are.Or do you think that the last thing Lennon tells them is not to try too hard to win the game.Don't you perhaps think that it's more likely that the players are not doing what they're told rather than a highly experienced player and manager not knowing what to do?

The selected midfielders are highly rated but struggle to score or create goals. We were playing against a team that struggles to score and our defense has been excellent all year. Lennon chose Bartley who averages a career goal every 24 games and a career assist every 31 games. Can't work stats out at Hibs as he has neither a goal or an assist in over 44 games. He also played another link/holding midfielder in Fyvie who in his career scores a goal every 25 games and an assist every 8. He has an assist every 6 games for Hibs but only scores every 30 or so games. Yes, playing with width never worked against Ayr but do we have to change personnel and system every game. Perhaps the players lack confidence because they are not sure of their role or struggling to find consistency playing with different players and systems. Half of our midfield are not and never have been creative players and McGinn isn't very prolific either. Top that off with Keats who looks totally lost at the tip of the diamond and I think I can see why some might think the system and selection may have some part to play in performances like Saturday. the players never played well and they let the club down but that may not be the only issue.

The Captain....
19-02-2017, 10:56 PM

Did you see the game yesterday?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FilipinoHibs
20-02-2017, 12:12 AM
Looking at the highlights on Raith TV - which admittedly can be miss leading - we did not look as bad as everyone is saying. Lots of Lennon's talk is to get the players up for Wednesday I think.

Greenworld
20-02-2017, 07:01 AM
I don't think lack of enthusiasm...lack of energy..lack of will to win and go that bit extra for your team and mates is anything to do with a manager.
That comes from within the player and for some strange reason in certain games the players switch off it has happened under lots of managers.
So we need to assume we don't have enough players with the right attitude

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

heretoday
20-02-2017, 07:04 AM
Well I hope Lennon's outburst does the trick on Wednesday because whatever he said before Saturday didn't work.

HFCdeb
20-02-2017, 08:31 AM
Looking at the highlights on Raith TV - which admittedly can be miss leading - we did not look as bad as everyone is saying. Lots of Lennon's talk is to get the players up for Wednesday I think.

Very misleading then because I sat through every minute of it and it was a disgrace.
These players have been dining out on the cup win for far too long now and give the impression that they think all they need to do is turn up because they beat top league opposition last year. It's not good enough and it's disrespectful. Lennon was quite right in reminding them that they've failed several times to get out of this league.

It's not a tactical issue, it's these laddies believing their own hype and needing a reality check.

147lothian
20-02-2017, 08:45 AM
If I put in below standard performances at my work I would get my ass booted by my manager and rightly so, IMO opinion we have been crying out for a manager who won't accept standards dropping, its our third year in the second tier of Scottish football and a fourth is just unthinkable.

For me Leanne and the board made a very shrewd move when they appointed Nell Lennon, in the January transfer window he was in for players IMO of the caliber of Commons or Stokes, not an easy task when your in the championship but it seems like he has said right if I cant get a player of that caliber I'll go with what I have, compare this to our ugly neighbors who made nine signings in the window that takes a lot out there budget

This means if were up next season, were there with something in the kitty to strengthen the squad, Lennon for me is the right man to get us out this division and I believe he would do a lot better than his predecessor's who fought relegation for seven years before we eventually went down, Neil Lennon is the right man for me and he was right on the money with what he said, its time to get behind him.

Slavers
20-02-2017, 09:02 AM
If I put in below standard performances at my work I would get my ass booted by my manager and rightly so, IMO opinion we have been crying out for a manager who won't accept standards dropping, its our third year in the second tier of Scottish football and a fourth is just unthinkable.

For me Leanne and the board made a very shrewd move when they appointed Nell Lennon, in the January transfer window he was in for players IMO of the caliber of Commons or Stokes, not an easy task when your in the championship but it seems like he has said right if I cant get a player of that caliber I'll go with what I have, compare this to our ugly neighbors who made nine signings in the window that takes a lot out there budget

This means if were up next season, were there with something in the kitty to strengthen the squad, Lennon for me is the right man to get us out this division and I believe he would do a lot better than his predecessor's who fought relegation for seven years before we eventually went down, Neil Lennon is the right man for me and he was right on the money with what he said, its time to get behind him.

Spot on, well said!

cmcd
20-02-2017, 09:08 AM

Correct

superfurryhibby
20-02-2017, 09:20 AM

Mostly agreeing with this, but our relegation struggles started when we appointed Calderwood during 2010-11 season. Just for accuracy sakes, it should be highlighted that we were relegated in 2013-14 season. Seven years ago we finished 4th and were comfortably mid table for a good few seasons before that. Our demise was rapid and should have been avoided. The man in charge was Rod and although we have moved on, I still find it hard to forgive and continue to dislike the fact that he remains at the club.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
20-02-2017, 09:38 AM
Mostly agreeing with this, but our relegation struggles started when we appointed Calderwood during 2010-11 season. Just for accuracy sakes, it should be highlighted that we were relegated in 2013-14 season. Seven years ago we finished 4th and were comfortably mid table for a good few seasons before that. Our demise was rapid and should have been avoided. The man in charge was Rod and although we have moved on, I still find it hard to forgive and continue to dislike the fact that he remains at the club.

While you are correct, i would say that the hollowing out of thr club, and the downward trajectory we found ourselves on can ne traced back to that period. Apart from half a season under yogi, and a couple of promising months under fenlon, we seemed to get steadily worse.

Onviously the calamitous reigns of calderwood and butcher accelerated it!