PDA

View Full Version : Sam Stanton

GreenArmy1875
18-02-2017, 08:34 PM
Scored 2 today for The Sons...anyone know how he is doing?

brog
18-02-2017, 08:59 PM
Scored 2 today for The Sons...anyone know how he is doing?

He's been a regular but not scoring many. His 1st today was apparently a cracker from 20+ yards. Good luck to him.

staunchhibby
18-02-2017, 09:03 PM
Settled in fine and enjoying getting a game on a regular basis

jacomo
19-02-2017, 10:01 AM
He's been a regular but not scoring many. His 1st today was apparently a cracker from 20+ yards. Good luck to him.

He still scores more regularly than most of our midfielders.

Smartie
19-02-2017, 10:15 AM
I don't believe for a minute that Sam would be a worse choice at the tip of the diamond than Keatings or possibly Shinnie.

bigwheel
19-02-2017, 10:23 AM
Sam has had plenty of chance to be a regular for Hibs - it's not going to happen ..doesn't have the athleticism in my view. Good technical player though - so delighted to see him doing well - hopefully he gets a good move for himself.

Gmack7
19-02-2017, 10:24 AM
Is Sam still on loan or left Hibs altogether?

JimboHibs
19-02-2017, 11:21 AM
Is Sam still on loan or left Hibs altogether?

Loan

Billy Whizz
19-02-2017, 11:23 AM
Loan

Must be coming near to the end of his contract, was it 3 years he got?

Sir David Gray
19-02-2017, 11:27 AM
Must be coming near to the end of his contract, was it 3 years he got?

2019 I believe.

col02
19-02-2017, 11:30 AM
2019 I believe.

Four year deal when Butcher was in charge I think. Sure it'll end summer next season.

calumhibee1
19-02-2017, 11:44 AM
I don't believe for a minute that Sam would be a worse choice at the tip of the diamond than Keatings or possibly Shinnie.

He would be a much worse choice IMO.

19-02-2017, 11:47 AM
Not a bad player but I doubt he will make it at hibs. Mid to lower championship is probably about his level.

Good luck to him though, hope it works out elsewhere for him.

1van Sprou7e
19-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Honestly thought he was a fantastic player when he was playing regularly under butcher, but that may well have just been a contrast compared to the rest of the team

Tamhere1875
19-02-2017, 11:58 AM
After yesterday's performance half the team look like they might just be mid table championship players.

xyz23jc
19-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Think he'd be a good addition to the squad, would benefit from being in the same room as Dylan, Fyvie & SJM! Always liked him, the loan will have benefited him, even if it was for the comic value of playing in the same team as the legend called Nade!:thumbsup::greengrin

California-Hibs
19-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Oh please guys, let's not get caught up once again in a typical loan/ex Hibs player scores, get him in, type thread.

He's had plenty of chances earlier on to show what he can do in a Hibs shirt. The guy isn't good enough for the level we should be aiming for. Sometimes the harsh reality just needs to be accepted.

Smartie
19-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Oh please guys, let's not get caught up once again in a typical loan/ex Hibs player scores, get him in, type thread.

He's had plenty of chances earlier on to show what he can do in a Hibs shirt. The guy isn't good enough for the level we should be aiming for. Sometimes the harsh reality just needs to be accepted.

I don't think he really has had plenty of chances. Not in our first team he hasn't. When he played regularly under Butcher he looked the part, and his bit-part appearances under Stubbs always looked fine, even in the early friendlies under Lennon he looked good.

For whatever reason Lennon and Stubbs haven't seen enough in training and on loan so I suppose if you include these as chances to show what he can do then he hasn't taken them.

California-Hibs
19-02-2017, 05:04 PM
I would of looked the part in Butchers team. I just don't rate the guy and he would have to be showing far more on loan at a team
Like Dumbarton to change my opinion.

calumhibee1
19-02-2017, 05:54 PM
I would of looked the part in Butchers team. I just don't rate the guy and he would have to be showing far more on loan at a team

Agreed. He'd need to be their best player by a distance to convince me he deserved another chance. Would he be able to do a job in this team this season? Possibly as a sub, even then he'd not offer as much as Keatings or Shinnie (both of who I also don't rate much). Not a chance he'd be good enough for where we want to be when we go up this season.

tamig
19-02-2017, 05:55 PM
I still cannot believe Sam didn't bulk himself up in the EM gym. He has always looked far too lightweight to me but with a bit more muscle I still think he could turn out to be a very good player.

calumhibee1
19-02-2017, 06:03 PM

Agreed. He'd need to be their best player by a distance to convince me he deserved another chance. Would he be able to do a job in this team this season? Possibly as a sub, even then he'd not offer as much as Keatings or Shinnie (both of who I also don't rate much). Not a chance he'd be good enough for where we want to be when we go up this season.

wookie70
19-02-2017, 06:08 PM
Scoring wise he scored at more than twice the rate for Hibs per game as McGinn does and way more than that for McGeoch. Bartley hasn't even had an assist for Hibs never mind a goal and Sam scored more than 1.5 times per game more often than Shinnie does. A couple of Sam's goals came in the Premiership as did half of his game time. Most of that was in very average or bloody terrible teams devoid of goals. He certainly didn't grab his chance with Hibs but I would love to have him as an option at the moment.

staunchhibby
19-02-2017, 06:17 PM
If it was between shinnie and stanton my vote would be for stanton.

brog
19-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Sam Stanton was a teenager playing in the worst Hibs team I've seen in 60+ years of following Hibs. Turn away now if you don't want to remember Tudor Jones, Mickey Nelson, James Collins, McGivern etc etc! Sam was our only shining light that season & there's no doubt the pressure put on him & the unrealistic expectations proved too onerous. He's still only 22 & he has the ability to have a decent career whether at ER or elsewhere. I would love to see him flourish in a decent Hibs team but I hope he's successful wherever he ends up.

Sir David Gray
19-02-2017, 07:11 PM
Four year deal when Butcher was in charge I think. Sure it'll end summer next season.

He signed a three year deal in 2012, which would have obviously taken him through to 2015 and then in 2014 he signed a four year extension so definitely 2019.

J-C
19-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Sam Stanton was a teenager playing in the worst Hibs team I've seen in 60+ years of following Hibs. Turn away now if you don't want to remember Tudor Jones, Mickey Nelson, James Collins, McGivern etc etc! Sam was our only shining light that season & there's no doubt the pressure put on him & the unrealistic expectations proved too onerous. He's still only 22 & he has the ability to have a decent career whether at ER or elsewhere. I would love to see him flourish in a decent Hibs team but I hope he's successful wherever he ends up.

This

The Captain....
19-02-2017, 07:58 PM
I always thought Sam was a decent player when he got on the ball...unfortunately for a midfield player in this day and age being tidy in posession isnt enough unless your that good you have others to cover for you. For me it was what he did when we didn't have the ball that meant he didn't really kick on at Hibs.

I've sympathy for the opinion that hes more of a goal threat than our existing midfield tho, he had a decent shot on him and always got himself into decent shooting positions. Something our current midfield seems to struggle to do.

I wish him all the best in his career..there is a definite footballer there but imo he lacks the physical edge (currently at least) to play at a higher level than he is now.

Smartie
19-02-2017, 08:00 PM
Are Dumbarton part-time?

If so, does Sam train with Hibs for most of the week?

jacomo
19-02-2017, 08:04 PM

:agree:

And it's ridiculous that we brought the former in on loan and sent Stanton out on loan.

Our young players may not be as good as the crop who came through 13-14 years ago but we give them a really hard time.

Sir David Gray
19-02-2017, 08:09 PM
Are Dumbarton part-time?

If so, does Sam train with Hibs for most of the week?

Yes they are and yes I believe that he does.

Enough said
19-02-2017, 08:15 PM
Yes they are and yes I believe that he does.

No

Enough said
19-02-2017, 08:16 PM

Me too

Dashing Bob S
19-02-2017, 08:21 PM
Scores more regularly in the championship than any current member of our squad, while playing for Dumbarton.

This means:

1. He's more effective as a goal scoring midfielder than anybody we currently have.

2. He wouldn't get as many goals for Hibs as he does for Dumbarton, due to our current system of play.

Neither of those two says a lot about Hibs.

1875Sean
19-02-2017, 08:25 PM
At stantons age he needs to play every week, I am afraid with a fully fit midfield he isn't going to get that at Hibs, talented boy surprised he isn't playing in the spl for a Patrick Thistle or a Kilmarnock

Forza Fred
19-02-2017, 08:31 PM

I thought the team of 82.....when I bumped into you at the airport as you were returning to London and I was returning from Oz.... was the worst team I saw In my lifetime.

eastcoasthibby
20-02-2017, 06:17 AM
I always thought Sam was a decent player when he got on the ball...unfortunately for a midfield player in this day and age being tidy in posession isnt enough unless your that good you have others to cover for you. For me it was what he did when we didn't have the ball that meant he didn't really kick on at Hibs.

I've sympathy for the opinion that hes more of a goal threat than our existing midfield tho, he had a decent shot on him and always got himself into decent shooting positions. Something our current midfield seems to struggle to do.

I wish him all the best in his career..there is a definite footballer there but imo he lacks the physical edge (currently at least) to play at a higher level than he is now.

I agree with all of this and just wonder how he would develop in the first team squad now, he does still need to bulk out a bit JC has done this and benefitted a fair bit..
Sammy can beat a player and get goals, I think he has the right attributes and maybe needs a chance still with us before we let him go on to Premier team like Spoony, Callum Booth and they go on to do perfectly well with, but not good enough for us ??!!

flash
20-02-2017, 06:22 AM
Scores more regularly in the championship than any current member of our squad, while playing for Dumbarton.

This means:

1. He's more effective as a goal scoring midfielder than anybody we currently have.

2. He wouldn't get as many goals for Hibs as he does for Dumbarton, due to our current system of play.

Not really seeing as all you are giving us is conjecture disguised as fact.

Tom Hart RIP
20-02-2017, 07:40 AM
Think I read on here that he trains every day with Hibs and Neil Lennon thinks highly of him.

staunchhibby
20-02-2017, 07:55 AM
Trains one day a week with Dunbarton And rest of time at hibs.Believe Lennon does like him

J-C
20-02-2017, 09:45 AM
Trains one day a week with Dunbarton And rest of time at hibs.Believe Lennon does like him

It's a pity we couldn't bring him back from his loan in January.

Sergey
20-02-2017, 10:07 AM
It's a pity we couldn't bring him back from his loan in January.

You can normally recall loan players back at any time and not just in the transfer windows.

He's still a Hibs player and employed by the club.

Andy74
20-02-2017, 10:10 AM

This means:

Or he doesn't have the mentality to handle playing for Hibs?

The way the opposition change their style against Hibs also has something to do with it.

Anyway, the likes of Stanton and Harris are hopefully not the answer to any current or future questions at Hibs, we need much better than that.

J-C
20-02-2017, 10:18 AM
You can normally recall loan players back at any time and not just in the transfer windows.

He's still a Hibs player and employed by the club.

Yes but it depends on the details of the loan, it may be written in that there's no recall and it's for the full season.

J-C
20-02-2017, 10:24 AM
Or he doesn't have the mentality to handle playing for Hibs?

The way the opposition change their style against Hibs also has something to do with it.

Anyway, the likes of Stanton and Harris are hopefully not the answer to any current or future questions at Hibs, we need much better than that.

Sammy has played 70 games and scored 7 goals for Hibs, McGinn has 8 goals in 75, Dylan 3 goals in 72, which just shows Sammy has a similar record and this was in a team which was a lot poorer than the one we have now.

Andy74
20-02-2017, 10:36 AM
Sammy has played 70 games and scored 7 goals for Hibs, McGinn has 8 goals in 75, Dylan 3 goals in 72, which just shows Sammy has a similar record and this was in a team which was a lot poorer than the one we have now.

Maybe goals scored but he doesn't do many of the other things McGinn or Dylan (when fit) do.

Ken
20-02-2017, 12:11 PM

This is spot on.

I was asked when we got relegated who I'd want to keep from the current squad and I said the only player still under contract was Stanton.

The hard thing for Stanton is our options in midfield our excellent now and have been over the last 2 seasons with the likes of Allan, Henderson etc....

I think he'll move on to a lower half Premier League team when he leaves Hibs, although I would be happy if he was given another chance here as he is still young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brog
20-02-2017, 04:01 PM
I thought the team of 82.....when I bumped into you at the airport as you were returning to London and I was returning from Oz.... was the worst team I saw In my lifetime.

It was certainly up there Freddy for boredom. Wasn't that the season Bertie managed an almost perfect equilibrium record with points, wins, draws losses etc? Still we never looked like being relegated & the likes of Ally MacLeod, Ralph C & Jacky Mac provided some entertainment.

Forza Fred
21-02-2017, 10:29 AM
It was certainly up there Freddy for boredom. Wasn't that the season Bertie managed an almost perfect equilibrium record with points, wins, draws losses etc? Still we never looked like being relegated & the likes of Ally MacLeod, Ralph C & Jacky Mac provided some entertainment.

King Paddy had taken over when I arrived, and players like Stuart Turnbull and Willie Jamieson were getting a run.

I also saw Mike Conroy make his debut in a reserve game and declared to a few mates in the Hibsclub, that he was...erm, no very good.

They countered suggesting I hadn't seen 'real' football for 8 years, and that you couldn't judge a player in the reserves.

I think I won the argument.

easty
21-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Maybe goals scored but he doesn't do many of the other things McGinn or Dylan (when fit) do.

Exactly. Stanton isn't anywhere near the level of McGinn or Dylan.

As disappointing as Shinnie has been, he's a better footballer than Stanton as well, in my opinion.

ekhibee
21-02-2017, 10:44 AM
King Paddy had taken over when I arrived, and players like Stuart Turnbull and Willie Jamieson were getting a run.

I also saw Mike Conroy make his debut in a reserve game and declared to a few mates in the Hibsclub, that he was...erm, no very good.

They countered suggesting I hadn't seen 'real' football for 8 years, and that you couldn't judge a player in the reserves.

I think I won the argument.
Even allowing for some of the awful players we've had more recently, you'd struggle to get a worse player than Stuart Turnbull, but that's just my opinion.

Peevemor
21-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Even allowing for some of the awful players we've had more recently, you'd struggle to get a worse player than Stuart Turnbull, but that's just my opinion.

:agree: We may have had worse players since 'Bosman', but Turnbull was by far the worst regular starter I've seen play for Hibs.