PDA

View Full Version : Lennon's Interview

Since90+2
18-02-2017, 04:29 PM
Anyone hearing this on Radio Scotland? Never heard him so angry and slating the players. Said the performance was a disgrace and we are not a good football team.

chrisski33
18-02-2017, 04:30 PM
Anyone hearing this on Radio Scotland? Never heard him so angry and slating the players. Said the performance was a disgrace and we are not a good football team.

hes right but hes the manager so needs to act upon it

Since90+2
18-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Just said he didn't even celebrate the goal as he was too angry with the performance and he is sick of these draws.

Is It On....
18-02-2017, 04:31 PM
"Didn't even celebrate the goal" ..."abject performance"..

Pedantic_Hibee
18-02-2017, 04:32 PM
Quite right. Man's a winner and he has my backing.

steakbake
18-02-2017, 04:33 PM
Fair play.

High-On-Hibs
18-02-2017, 04:33 PM
Well hopefully he gets the ***** kicked into them for Wednesday.

Tyler Durden
18-02-2017, 04:34 PM
We've heard this before though. Up to him to sort things out. Why wait so long to make subs if it was so bad?

R'Albin
18-02-2017, 04:35 PM
Try setting up with more than Cummings, Graham and Keatings as our attacking players then. The failure to win today lies almost purely at Lennon's feet IMO.

brythehibby
18-02-2017, 04:35 PM

He's every right to complain. That was horrific today. Don't recall him saying we aren't a good football team in that interview?! Lack of respect to the opponent and not raising it for games against lesser teams was the message I got. And he's bang on.

Since90+2
18-02-2017, 04:39 PM
He's every right to complain. That was horrific today. Don't recall him saying we aren't a good football team in that interview?! Lack of respect to the opponent and not raising it for games against lesser teams was the message I got. And he's bang on.

Did he not say something along the lines of "the players will be up for Hearts on Wednesday but they think they can just turn up to places like this to win thinking they are a good team , we are not a good football team"? It was something like that anyway.

Golden Bear
18-02-2017, 04:41 PM
He's certainly not a happy chappie tonight. If there is a problem with the team's attitude then it won't manifest itself on Wednesday but what happens thereafter will be interesting.

LithgaeHibby
18-02-2017, 04:43 PM
He was right to get stuck in but he was also right to say that he should take a look at himself. For some games this season his formations have been questionable and he's taken too long to change it when it's been obvious that it's not working.

Smartie
18-02-2017, 04:43 PM

This, 100%.

seanshow
18-02-2017, 04:44 PM
Did he not say something along the lines of "the players will be up for Hearts on Wednesday but they think they can just turn up to places like this to win thinking they are a good team , we are not a good football team"? It was something like that anyway.

He said if the players think they can just turn up for the last 30 mins like they did today, they can knock on the managers door all they like when they don't get picked for the game against hertz!

He was raging

Hermit Crab
18-02-2017, 04:44 PM
He's right. We are crap.

Bishop Hibee
18-02-2017, 04:49 PM

I agree. Two points though.

First is that he picks the formation and players. Second is that we should have brought in an attacking midfielder/striker to secure promotion.

We must be at it from the off on Wednesday.

J-C
18-02-2017, 04:55 PM
As good as Bartley was last week he wasn't needed today, sacrifice him for pace in either Boyle or Humphrey. He goes out his way to get a wide player as that's what's needed the doesn't play him, plus most players on trial are all wingers, if that's it sign one then or play Boyle left and Humphrey right, stop ******g around.

Ozyhibby
18-02-2017, 04:57 PM
All very well getting angry but the problems have been known about for some time and he failed to try address it in the window. We needed a striker because the ones he bought in summer either can't score or he doesn't play them and he needed a creative midfielder because the one he signed in the summer is hopeless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr_F
18-02-2017, 04:58 PM

100%

SeanWilson
18-02-2017, 05:01 PM
All this failed to address, blah blah blah. End of the day, the squad is more than adequate to dispose of Raith and the likes and Lennon knows it. To many of them turn up with the win already a given and it's just not good enough.

As others have said, the mans a winnner and has shown he will not suffer fools.

Hope they take their rocket up the behind and get tucked up early tonight.

JackLadd
18-02-2017, 05:06 PM
Dunno the reason for the poor show today but as long as they do it on Wednesday I couldn't care much. Need to get it right on Wednesday. No excuses.

AndyB_70
18-02-2017, 05:07 PM
He was bang on. They seem to think they just need to turn up. The display was woeful until we went behind. Some players just going through the motions today. Look at some of the matches we have dropped points in this season. They think they just need to play in the big games and everything else will be OK. Hopefully this will give them the kick up the rear end they need.

SirDavidsNapper
18-02-2017, 05:08 PM
If the players showed half the passion of the manager we would have won today. Not Lennons biggest fan but he's bang on the money there. The players need to get their bloody fingers out.

Borderhibbie76
18-02-2017, 05:14 PM
He is bang on the money they were a disgrace for nearly 60 mins today. Fyvie s performance in that 1st half was diabolical....he certainly can't complain if he is dropped for weds night. Fontaine was another who was woeful and Keatings just hides in that hole behind the strikers ...was anonymous for long spells today

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

RoxburghHibs
18-02-2017, 05:18 PM
He's right. We are crap.

Not what he said. We were crap today but we are certainly not crap - big difference.

Unseen work
18-02-2017, 05:19 PM
We have been murder for weeks.

Best performance in months was with pace against united, so why not play them?

AFKA5814_Hibs
18-02-2017, 05:23 PM
As Hibs fans, we've seen it for years. The players turn in a great display in a derby match or v Celtc or Oldco Rangers, yet next game the same players turn in a dire performance against Hamilton or Raith.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if we beat the Yams on Wednesday and everything falls flat and we draw/lose to Dunfermline next Saturday.

I guess as a Celtc player and manager he's used to his teams winning every week and gets frustrated as that's not how it works at Hibs.

18-02-2017, 05:24 PM
Where can I listen to this interview?

Hermit Crab
18-02-2017, 05:25 PM
Not what he said. We were crap today but we are certainly not crap - big difference.

Crap against Ayr twice, crap against Raith in all 3 games this season, crap away to Morton. We are crap.

High-On-Hibs
18-02-2017, 05:27 PM
Crap against Ayr twice, crap against Raith in all 3 games this season, crap away to Morton. We are crap.

Top of the table, utter crap!

Thecat23
18-02-2017, 05:28 PM

We're not crap, sitting 7 clear isn't the sign of a crap team. Had a few crap performances but we aren't a crap team!!

Hermit Crab
Top of the table, utter crap!

Because the rest of the league is complete and utter crap.

Dunbar Hibee
Have a look at your team selections first eh. Also hear he singled out Jason Cummings for criticism? Is he ****ing mental

JackLadd
18-02-2017, 05:29 PM
I would like to see the boy Shaw get a chance, we do suffer from lack of goals.

High-On-Hibs
18-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Because the rest of the league is complete and utter crap.

So what?

It's like saying Celtic are top of the premiership because all of the other teams are crap by comparison. You think they care? :rolleyes:

HFCdeb
18-02-2017, 05:30 PM

Same.

HibernianJK
18-02-2017, 05:32 PM
We've heard this before though. Up to him to sort things out. Why wait so long to make subs if it was so bad?

I've never heard anything like that from Lennon before, it was utterly brutal. Hopefully the players take heed and put in a performance on Wednesday.

Wheat Hound
18-02-2017, 05:32 PM

Agree totally. I have faith in the man.

Hermit Crab
18-02-2017, 05:33 PM
So what?

It's like saying Celtic are top of the premiership because all of the other teams are crap by comparison. You think they care? :rolleyes:

They do, thats why they moan about no competition. Rogers is building a team to compete in the later stages of the champions league. A team that will piss the SPFL in the process.

18-02-2017, 05:33 PM
He was absolutely furious. I would not want to be one of the players in that dressing room at FT but he absolutely called it as it is, today was nowhere near good enough.

HFCdeb
18-02-2017, 05:34 PM
Have a look at your team selections first eh. Also hear he singled out Jason Cummings for criticism? Is he ****ing mental

He didn't single anyone out.

High-On-Hibs
18-02-2017, 05:36 PM
They do, thats why they moan about no competition. Rogers is building a team to compete in the later stages of the champions league. A team that will piss the SPFL in the process.

A champions league that they'd maybe not be in if there was greater competition in the league? You honestly think they're unhappy about having such easy access to the champions league season after season, while raking in millions in the process?

Ozyhibby
18-02-2017, 05:42 PM
Where can I listen to this interview?

https://planetradio.co.uk/clyde/sport/football-news/listen-neil-lennon-gives-explosive-post-match-interview/

mcfly
18-02-2017, 05:42 PM
It's human nature for the players to be thinking about wed.

Perhaps not professional but today's result is no surprise.

Wednesday is massive - we turn up we will win

Everyone get your ticket and sell out Easter road

Show those jambos what a big home crowd in Edinburgh is

MWHIBBIES
18-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Crap against Ayr twice, crap against Raith in all 3 games this season, crap away to Morton. We are crap.Great away at Ayr, great home vs Morton, 2 good wins at Falkirk, humped United at home. We are quality.

See how easy that is?

Since90+2
18-02-2017, 05:45 PM
https://planetradio.co.uk/clyde/sport/football-news/listen-neil-lennon-gives-explosive-post-match-interview/

That's the interview with Radio Clyde, I would say he was even more angry on the one he done with Radio Scotland.

Dunbar Hibee
18-02-2017, 05:46 PM

In which case I apologise, just going by what I was told!

B.H.F.C
Presumably that was the toned down version we heard on the radio. In the changing room he must have absolutely slaughtered them.

I think he was on the money with what he said. I don't think the players we have are the type that will throw their toys out of the pram because of it either.

supermcginn

He did, mentioned both cummings and mcginn being very poor

Unseen work
I may be in the minority.

But I couldn't give a f*** about the Scottish cup this season. As much as I'd hate to lose to hearts.

I would much preferred us to of won the two games either side of the hearts games.

The thought of another season is this league is horrible.

Promotion should be the main goal and play our strongest team in every league game.

Paisley Hibby
18-02-2017, 05:47 PM
He was absolutely furious. I would not want to be one of the players in that dressing room at FT but he absolutely called it as it is, today was nowhere near good enough.

You're right. But he's to blame too. Even I could tell after just 15 mins that the front pairing of Cummings and Graham with Keatings just behind them wasn't working. Absolutely honking lack of communication or any sense of what they were trying to do. We needed pace and width but he waited until we lost a goal before changing things. Have to say that Gray, McGregor and Stevenson were good. The Raith no 6, Benedictus looks a great player.

SirDavidsNapper
He's right. It's why some of these players have been in this division for 3 seasons. Been the same since we went down. Sloppy performances are costing us. Look at Celtic, ruthless as were Sevco last season. Hopefully the players react in the correct manner and step up. I have no issue with the interview at all infact I applaud it.

Benjeloon
Lennon am has absolutely the right mindset and mentality that we need to be winnersent week in, week out. He's called it as it is and isn't afraid to say that he needs to consider his own work as well.

End of the day though, this squad is more than capable of turning up to beat any other team in this league, and win the league, regardless of manager or formation. Lennon takes the credit if the formation is right (see Dundee Utd at ER) or the criticism if it's wrong (most recent Ayr game at ER).

What he can't do is affect how hard those players try and how well they play when they walk out on the the pitch. That's where the problem lies and that is what Lennon will attempt to instil in our players until he is blue in the face

Since90+2
18-02-2017, 05:48 PM

There seems to be two interviews people are referring to.

On the Radio Scotland one he was absolutely raging but didn't single anyone out , on the Radio Clyde interview he does mention a couple of players one of them being Cummings.

DaveF
18-02-2017, 05:50 PM

Now that's an interview.

A public slagging like that will either make us stronger or drive a wedge between management and players.

Wow, that really was something else.

emerald green
18-02-2017, 05:52 PM
I haven't heard exactly what Neil Lennon said after the match, but it sounds like he just let his anger and frustration boil over at witnessing yet another chance wasted to put more daylight (i.e. points!) between Hibs and the three teams chasing.

The only team happy with today's result will be DU.

PS: Just listened to it. He really laid it on the line in no uncertain fashion. Some words he used to describe today - "unacceptable, disgraceful, complacent, unprofessional". He also alluded to a poor mentality, and said that he can't radically change things because the squad isn't big enough.

I can only assume he will have told the players to their faces. We'll see what reaction there is on Wednesday night. I hope it's the right one.

HFCdeb
18-02-2017, 05:53 PM

Sorry, I just listened to the link that was posted and the interview is different to the one I heard on Sportsound on the way home, he did mention Jason and McGinn in that one. He didn't say anything that shouldn't have been said though. Can't disagree with any of it.

hibsbollah
18-02-2017, 05:53 PM
Love the interview.
Id love it much more if he gave Martin and Crane (and maybe Donaldson?) a game as a result. Hungry young players that want to force their way into the team please.

High-On-Hibs
18-02-2017, 05:57 PM
Lennon says the only players that got pass marks in that first hour were Stevenson and McGregor. Doesn't really surprise me. Those 2 give it their all week in week out, regardless of how the rest of the team are playing. If they all put in the same level of effort as those 2 do each week, then the league would already be won.

andy1875
18-02-2017, 05:57 PM
Interesting listen from Lennon. Clearly raging with the performance.

He says only Stevenson, McGregor and Graham got pass marks.

DaveF
18-02-2017, 05:59 PM
Did he really say "Am I angry, you bet I ****ing am"

HFCdeb
18-02-2017, 06:01 PM

But I couldn't give a f*** about the Scottish cup this season. As much as I'd hate to lose to hearts.

I would much preferred us to of won the two games either side of the hearts games.

Promotion should be the main goal and play our strongest team in every league game.

I feel the exact same way. I'll be there on Wednesday willing the team to win but I care way more about the league.

NAE NOOKIE
18-02-2017, 06:01 PM
It's human nature for the players to be thinking about wed.

Perhaps not professional but today's result is no surprise.

Wednesday is massive - we turn up we will win

Everyone get your ticket and sell out Easter road

Show those jambos what a big home crowd in Edinburgh is

Nobody wants to beat the Yams more than me mate ...... but the truth is it will mean nothing and I mean absolutely nothing if at the start of next season we are still in the championship.

It will mean nothing to the young and fringe players who get shipped out, it will mean nothing to the players still worth a few bob that we end up selling, it will mean less than nothing to the other staff at the club who get laid off because we only have 7,000 season ticket holders and all it will be is a nice memory from another rubbish season for the half of the Hibs support who turn up this Wednesday but wont set foot through the door at Easter Road next season to watch a 4th attempt to get out of the championship.

If the players, human nature or not, aren't aware by now what winning the league means for the future of this club then somebody needs to sit them down and make it extremely clear to them ........ in the context of the future of this club Wednesday night means nothing, less than nothing ...... our remaining 12 league games mean absolutely everything !!!

As I said, don't get me wrong, if we do come through against the Yams nobody will take more delight in it than me ...... but its a sideshow to the main event, nothing more.

Since90+2
18-02-2017, 06:02 PM
I think Lennon is right to criticise the players as performances like today are not acceptable however I just hope he hasn't overstepped the line with the level of public criticism.

Wednesday is massive and I am unsure how the squad will react to such a massive public slagging off.

Michael
18-02-2017, 06:03 PM
Up until the infamous "sometimes it's good to go a goal down" line folk were loving Butcher's interviews. They didn't sound dissimilar to this one (very similar with the playing the kids line).

I think the reality is that most of the players aren't as good as Neil Lennon was and they're always going to blow hot and cold.

High-On-Hibs
18-02-2017, 06:06 PM
I think Lennon is right to criticise the players as performances like today are not acceptable however I just hope he hasn't overstepped the line with the level of public criticism.

Wednesday is massive and I am unsure how the squad will react to such a massive public slagging off.

Well it better be positive, unless they want to find themselves playing non-league football in a year or two.

Bobby's Cinema

Those are my thoughts

Slavers
Could be the kick up the back side the squad needs as they are pissing about on the pitch at times, first half was as bad as i have seen Hibs, second half was better but still no quick enough going forward/

Hopefully he gets a positive reaction and i think he will, the team shouldnt need it pointed out to them whats at stake here but Lennon did today and i give him credit for it.

emerald green
There seems to be two interviews people are referring to.

On the Radio Scotland one he was absolutely raging but didn't single anyone out , on the Radio Clyde interview he does mention a couple of players one of them being Cummings.

The other being John McGinn.

Hibby Bairn

I don't think Lennon will give a flying **** what they think.

emerald green
18-02-2017, 06:11 PM
I don't think Lennon will give a flying **** what they think.

:agree: Because it's Lennon who will get the sack if Hibs don't go up this season.

Or, being the type of man I think he is, he will resign. He talked about Hibs being a "boy band" (too soft) at the start of the season and said that attitude won't be tolerated any longer.

Scorrie
18-02-2017, 06:12 PM

For me that was a great interview. I have been waiting to hear a Hibs manager sound as passionate as that for a long time. If the squad don't like it then they GTF. We've been a soft touch for way too long now. They needed telt

wookie70
18-02-2017, 06:12 PM

He specifically said Jason "was poor, poor in the game". He then mumbled McGinn and Fyvie less specifically. He did mention it was a good free kick too. I can't argue with too much he said but he needs to look at why it is happening. He has had two windows and our best outfield players are still the ones Stubbs signed. It was a wee bit Butcher like, let's hope he gets a better reaction from the players.

lord bunberry
18-02-2017, 06:14 PM
The problem is we only have 1 player capable of scoring goals. It's ludicrous that this problem hasn't been sorted out by now. Lennon has to take some of the blame for that. Graham should be nowhere near a starting spot.

Pretty Boy
18-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Interesting that the manager seems more critical of his team today than some on here want to be.

I'm glad to see Lennon unhappy with the standards we are setting in games.

Pete
18-02-2017, 06:15 PM

They'll be fine on Wednesday, how they react against Dunfermline is key.

Lennon has basically called them out and it's time to react well or sulk. They won't last long if it's the latter and I'll shed no tears, no matter who it is.

He's seperating the men from the boys and I hope they all step up.

chrisski33
18-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Try setting up with more than Cummings, Graham and Keatings as our attacking players then. The failure to win today lies almost purely at Lennon's feet IMO.

nonsense

Rougier45
18-02-2017, 06:20 PM

Lennon has basically called them out and it's time to react well or sulk. They won't last long if it's the latter and I'll shed no tears, no matter who it is.

And what Are you a man or a boy ?

Billy Whizz
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39017330

Franck Stanton
Nobody wants to beat the Yams more than me mate ...... but the truth is it will mean nothing and I mean absolutely nothing if at the start of next season we are still in the championship.

It will mean nothing to the young and fringe players who get shipped out, it will mean nothing to the players still worth a few bob that we end up selling, it will mean less than nothing to the other staff at the club who get laid off because we only have 7,000 season ticket holders and all it will be is a nice memory from another rubbish season for the half of the Hibs support who turn up this Wednesday but wont set foot through the door at Easter Road next season to watch a 4th attempt to get out of the championship.

If the players, human nature or not, aren't aware by now what winning the league means for the future of this club then somebody needs to sit them down and make it extremely clear to them ........ in the context of the future of this club Wednesday night means nothing, less than nothing ...... our remaining 12 league games mean absolutely everything !!!

As I said, don't get me wrong, if we do come through against the Yams nobody will take more delight in it than me ...... but its a sideshow to the main event, nothing more.

great post - agree with every word, especially the bits in bold

lord bunberry
18-02-2017, 06:21 PM

I think you're spot on. Lennon said what he said deliberately in order to get a reaction from the team on Wednesday.

houstonhibbee
18-02-2017, 06:21 PM

.....................UNLESS WE RETAIN THE CUP AND HAVE ANOTHER VICTORY PARADE:flag::flag::flag:

MikeyS
18-02-2017, 06:22 PM
For me that was a great interview. I have been waiting to hear a Hibs manager sound as passionate as that for a long time. If the squad don't like it then they GTF. We've been a soft touch for way too long now. They needed telt

Exactly where I am too. its about time some of them heard a few hard truths. we have a bunch of laddies that show very little bravery in trying to make something happen when we faced with stubborn defensive teams.

Shinnie, Humphrey and Dylan should be the type to create this for us but all have let us down in their own ways.

I feel it's went flat since Commons went back west!

lord bunberry
18-02-2017, 06:22 PM
You're a strange man.

Lee Marvin
18-02-2017, 06:23 PM
I'm fully behind that interview.

We have shown no respect for the opposition from the start of games too often now. Look how many times we lose the first goal.

When hearts strolled the league they seemed to score in the first 10 mins nearly every game. We just stroll about.

Get Boyle and holt in for Wednesday. They two at least try every game.

Steve20
18-02-2017, 06:25 PM
I'm glad he came out with that interview. Too many times we are crap and managers come out with excuses. He's as angry as we are and rightfully so.

He's won lots in his career. The players would do well to take on board why he's so angry.

Carheenlea
18-02-2017, 06:27 PM
I was dozing off in car and his opening exclamation of what a disgrace the performance was fair woke me up! Couldn't argue with anything he said, but his anger should t really have come as any surprise as I've never seen him so furious on the touchline as he was for that first half in particular.

HFCdeb
18-02-2017, 06:30 PM
He specifically said Jason "was poor, poor in the game". He then mumbled McGinn and Fyvie less specifically. He did mention it was a good free kick too. I can't argue with too much he said but he needs to look at why it is happening. He has had two windows and our best outfield players are still the ones Stubbs signed. It was a wee bit Butcher like, let's hope he gets a better reaction from the players.

Yeah I didn't realise there was another interview until the link was posted. He didn't single anyone out on the Sportsound interview.

mcfly
18-02-2017, 06:31 PM

Appreciate your point but we're 7 points clear.

We aren't playing great but we aren't losing and the other teams are beating each other.

We won't lose 3 games in the run in and Utd win every game.

We will win the league with a bit - I want us to beat them and end their season

mcfly
18-02-2017, 06:34 PM
[/B]

great post - agree with every word, especially the bits in bold

It's no sideshow - a win and we kick on.

A loss could set us back confidence wise.

Make no mistake wed night is crucial

Smartie
18-02-2017, 06:36 PM

I think that if any player can't deal with being told their performance is seriously below par when their performance is seriously below par then they should think about doing something else.

Lennon has won titles as a player and as a manager and when he talks you'd be best advised to listen.

I wonder if Giggs, Neville and Scholes wish that Fergie had been a bit nicer to them when they are polishing their medals?

If my performance at work was seriously substandard then I'd rather my boss told me in no uncertain terms, rather than tolerate it, underplay the problem ultimately leading to the failure of the business and loss of my job.

Swedish hibee
18-02-2017, 06:40 PM
I'm actually astonished at how many people are in love with Lennon on here!
We are the team with the highest budget in a league that has part time teams, and our football is mind numbing boring.

I'm not saying I want him out at all, far from it- but if this was Pat Fenlon doing the same, he'd be taking pelters.

Callum_62
18-02-2017, 06:42 PM
Reckon this could make or break our season

Potential to go either way

hibsbollah
18-02-2017, 06:42 PM
"We were an absolute disgrace - a disgrace," the head coach told BBC Scotland.
"We had the right colour (yellow) of jersey on today. You can't turn up and play for 30 minutes. We were abject.
"We are going for a title here and trying to extend our lead but we totally disrespected the opponent. I am not happy with that at all, and that is creeping in far too often."
Hibs fell behind to former Hearts midfielder Ryan Stevenson's half-volley in Kirkcaldy, and needed a superb free-kick from top scorer Jason Cummings to secure a point - a goal "raging" Lennon could not bring himself to celebrate.
His side take on Edinburgh rivals Hearts in Wednesday's Scottish Cup fifth-round replay, and although Lennon believes his players will deliver on derby day, he slammed their attitude against Rovers."We will be alright against Hearts," he said. "They will raise their game against Hearts but that is not the priority."Don't tell me we've got good players here - yeah, we have, but they have to be consistent. The overall performance, the lack of physicality, belief and urgency, we just never turned up and played tippy-tappy football. Against a better opponent we would have got done today."I thought they had learned their lesson from the home draw against Ayr United (in their previous Championship outing)."We can raise our game for Hearts at Tynecastle, where we played strongly and concentrated and were physical, but there was none of that today until the last half-hour, when we were excellent."You can't give a team an hour start and a goal up at any level. I am not happy."'We played like strangers out there' With a seven-point buffer between Hibs and second-placed Dundee United, Lennon concedes complacency may be affecting his players' performances.It might be," he admitted. "It may be immaturity. The boys have got to take it on board. It wasn't good enough last season. We lost eight games last season."And they are going out with the same attitude that yeah, we can play good football. We can't. I know a good football team. I know what they can do."They have to earn the right to do that and we didn't. We played like strangers out there. No-one took any responsibility. It may seem like harsh words but I'm the manager. I have to set standards and I will have to look at my own performance as well. I didn't expect that."The head coach, who succeeded Alan Stubbs last June, insists none of his players will have grounds for complaint if they are not selected for Wednesday's showdown at Easter Road."They will all want to play," Lennon said. "They didn't want to play today, some of them."So if they are not in the team for Wednesday they can knock on my door all they want. I will just show them the first hour of the game."

Thecat23
18-02-2017, 06:45 PM

What's that got to do with anything? 😳

GlasgowHibee
18-02-2017, 06:45 PM
Superb interview, exactly what I want to be hearing from Hibs manager. If that doesn't get the players up for the next game then who knows what will.

anyone else think he was annoyed by the fact the board didn't back him in January? Seemed that way to me.

Eyrie
18-02-2017, 06:49 PM

That sounds like a chat up line for a newbie on Kickback.

Since90+2
18-02-2017, 06:51 PM
I think that if any player can't deal with being told their performance is seriously below par when their performance is seriously below par then they should think about doing something else.

Lennon has won titles as a player and as a manager and when he talks you'd be best advised to listen.

I wonder if Giggs, Neville and Scholes wish that Fergie had been a bit nicer to them when they are polishing their medals?

If my performance at work was seriously substandard then I'd rather my boss told me in no uncertain terms, rather than tolerate it, underplay the problem ultimately leading to the failure of the business and loss of my job.

I hope you are right.

Football squads can wield massive power and it's not in anyway comparable to joe bloggs underperforming at work.

Lennon has took a risk here IMO but let's hope the players respond in the correct manner.

kaimendhibs
Agree with him. For an hour we were shocking and he was going nuts at the side. Gave mcginn a right rocket. Think half time must have been interesting, our players came out about 3/4 mins after raith

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Smartie
Superb interview, exactly what I want to be hearing from Hibs manager. If that doesn't get the players up for the next game then who knows what will.

anyone else think he was annoyed by the fact the board didn't back him in January? Seemed that way to me.

Yes, that's exactly what I think reading between the lines.

Comments about the small squad restricting his options to change things.

He sounds really frustrated.

I think he appreciates that his neck is on the block. On a personal level he cannot afford to fail at Hibs and I think he is aware of that fact.

He's feeling the heat, he's totally determined and I don't think he's prepared to tolerate anyone compromising our chances of getting promoted, and on this occasion I think he is annoyed at the board as well as certain players.

These are people he should be able to rely upon for backing and to be helping him deliver on his goals, not hinder him.

pontius pilate
18-02-2017, 06:53 PM

That's my feeling as well that it was a dig at the board that he doesn't have the strength in depth. The board really need to back him next season when we go up.

GGTTH

Smartie
18-02-2017, 07:03 PM
I hope you are right.

Football squads can wield massive power and it's not in anyway comparable to joe bloggs underperforming at work.

Lennon has took a risk here IMO but let's hope the players respond in the correct manner.

I think that these days there is probably still just about a place for giving footballers both barrels, but it would need to be used very sparingly indeed.

You can't really get away with that with Joe Bloggs these days.

Bosses at all levels have to tread a fine line. Lennon may well have overstepped the mark - time will tell. But did you not get the feeling at some points last season that Stubbs was a bit too soft, a bit too nice? We were losing twice at Dumbarton, the first team to lose at Alloa in yonks, we lost 3-0 at ER to Morton. I wanted a bit more of the hairdryer, the "this just won't do" from Stubbs and I got the feeling that he tolerated a bit too much when the players needed a roasting.

Football squads can wield massive power, but the same is true at most workplaces. There are divas, toxic characters, snowflakes and good eggs everywhere. Any boss has to get a bizarre, diverse group of people with different opinions to somehow pull in the right direction and use whatever methods they can to make it happen.

matty_f
18-02-2017, 07:03 PM
My wife asked me in the car if that interview was the start of Hibs imploding, and I said I reckoned it's the rocket that will get USA promoted.

It needed said, I'm 100% certain Lennon isn't sending the players out with the message that they should go at it half-assed. There players have shown how good they can be over the last few years, they need to do it game after game though. That's what Lennon wants from them. That's what WE want from them.

We have a few leaders in the team, this is where we need them to get on board with Lennon's message and drive the team on to the title.

crash
18-02-2017, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE=GlasgowHibee;4

anyone else think he was annoyed by the fact the board didn't back him in January? Seemed that way to me.[/QUOTE]

How is it "a fact that the board didn't back him"?

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Dunno the reason for the poor show today but as long as they do it on Wednesday I couldn't care much. Need to get it right on Wednesday. No excuses.

I think that a fair few of the players share that view.

MWHIBBIES
18-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Dunno the reason for the poor show today but as long as they do it on Wednesday I couldn't care much. Need to get it right on Wednesday. No excuses.Need promotion more than we need to win the cup, today mattered a lot.

Speedway
18-02-2017, 07:15 PM
This is the second time Lennon has played this card with us.

He played it at QoS earlier on this season and we went on a run.

Several managers have diagnosed the issue, none have solved it.

Lennon has said many times that he got to where he did in his career through graft because he wasn't as good as some of his team mates.

The difference between Lennon and most of our other managers is his medal haul as player AND manager.

I agree he needs to succeed in this position and I'd also add that he's not seeing the mentality from the squad that he has.

Commons showed us the difference between a 1-1 and a 2-1. Winners dig out a result even when they're playing Lilian Gish.

We're not digging out results.

Over to you Captain Gray. Sort your men out.

hibs0666
18-02-2017, 07:15 PM
How is it "a fact that the board didn't back him"?

Thought that would be obvious.

Lago
18-02-2017, 07:17 PM

Frankly in the greater scheme of things Wed is an irrelevance.

Ozyhibby
18-02-2017, 07:18 PM
It's no sideshow - a win and we kick on.

A loss could set us back confidence wise.

Make no mistake wed night is crucial

Absolutely, Wednesday night is massive. We must beat Hearts. It is crucial to maintain the good atmosphere around the club just now. It's the biggest game of the season, no doubt about it.

Since90+2
18-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Frankly in the greater scheme of things Wed is an irrelevance.

A Scottish cup tie iagainst Hearts is never an irrelevance.

The fact we sold out tickets for the game quicker than I can ever remember would suggest most fans think the same , which means it's certainly not irrelevant.

Lucius Apuleius
18-02-2017, 07:23 PM

Nope, I agree. The cup is a distraction we can do without. Promotion has to be everything this season. Most people were saying that at the season beginning. Now it changes because of who we play in the cup. **** hertz and for this season **** the scottish cup. Get the players mind off it and concentrate on that league.

IberianHibernian
18-02-2017, 07:25 PM
I like what he`s said in the interview but it`s all based on poor attitude of team and assumption that our team is very superior to other teams in the league . We may have the biggest budget and best team and squad but I don`t think the difference is so big that we can expect to win every week . We`ve got a few players who could walk into most premiership teams but we`ve also got a few who don`t look great even in championship or are inconsistent . With Hanlon , McGeoch , Harris and Forster injured and Shinnie suspended the squad is limited and team almost picks itself . If we go up , I`d assume at least 6 and probably 8 or 9 players would arrive and a similar number leave .

Lago
18-02-2017, 07:27 PM
A Scottish cup tie iagainst Hearts is never an irrelevance.

The fact we sold out tickets for the game quicker than I can ever remember would suggest most fans think the same , which means it's certainly not irrelevant.
Tell me that at the end of the season if we fail to get promotion.

Super_JMcGinn
18-02-2017, 07:27 PM

We have a squad MORE than capable of doing both.

Since90+2
18-02-2017, 07:30 PM

Yes , because if we beat Hearts on Wednesday it will be the reason we don't get promoted :aok:

Diclonius
18-02-2017, 07:31 PM
I'm worried that this interview could have the same effect as Butcher's a few years ago.

Super_JMcGinn
18-02-2017, 07:36 PM
I'm worried that this interview could have the same effect as Butcher's a few years ago.

I'm more worried that he picked on 2 of our younger players, and arguably our best players for public criticism.

emerald green
18-02-2017, 07:38 PM

What? That Hibs will be unable to win a single game for weeks on end and get relegated? :rolleyes:

Northernhibee

I know my opinion on NL on the other thread hasn't proved popular but that's the comparison that came to mind.

SeanWilson
I'm more worried that he picked on 2 of our younger players, and arguably our best players for public criticism.

Get a grip!

SlickShoes
18-02-2017, 07:42 PM
It's the usual time of year for a hibs bad run, if lennon can arrest that and stop it happening he will be a hero.

Almost every year of my life I have watched hibs we are brutally dire in february/march and into april. This is when we need the players to step up and prove their worth. I think Neil Lennon is a decent manager, I think the teams he puts out are more than capable of winning but the effort I saw from the players against Ayr and Raith are embarrassing and inexcusable. Hopefully we can beat hearts and stop using that game as some sort of excuse for insipid garbage performances.

crash
18-02-2017, 07:49 PM

you just dont get it, do you.

The Spaceman
18-02-2017, 07:49 PM
Think Lennon is spot on :aok:

Lago
18-02-2017, 07:51 PM
"We were an absolute disgrace - a disgrace," the head coach told BBC Scotland.
"We had the right colour (yellow) of jersey on today. You can't turn up and play for 30 minutes. We were abject.
"We are going for a title here and trying to extend our lead but we totally disrespected the opponent. I am not happy with that at all, and that is creeping in far too often."
Hibs fell behind to former Hearts midfielder Ryan Stevenson's half-volley in Kirkcaldy, and needed a superb free-kick from top scorer Jason Cummings to secure a point - a goal "raging" Lennon could not bring himself to celebrate.
His side take on Edinburgh rivals Hearts in Wednesday's Scottish Cup fifth-round replay, and although Lennon believes his players will deliver on derby day, he slammed their attitude against Rovers."We will be alright against Hearts," he said. "They will raise their game against Hearts but that is not the priority."Don't tell me we've got good players here - yeah, we have, but they have to be consistent. The overall performance, the lack of physicality, belief and urgency, we just never turned up and played tippy-tappy football. Against a better opponent we would have got done today."I thought they had learned their lesson from the home draw against Ayr United (in their previous Championship outing)."We can raise our game for Hearts at Tynecastle, where we played strongly and concentrated and were physical, but there was none of that today until the last half-hour, when we were excellent."You can't give a team an hour start and a goal up at any level. I am not happy."'We played like strangers out there' With a seven-point buffer between Hibs and second-placed Dundee United, Lennon concedes complacency may be affecting his players' performances.It might be," he admitted. "It may be immaturity. The boys have got to take it on board. It wasn't good enough last season. We lost eight games last season."And they are going out with the same attitude that yeah, we can play good football. We can't. I know a good football team. I know what they can do."They have to earn the right to do that and we didn't. We played like strangers out there. No-one took any responsibility. It may seem like harsh words but I'm the manager. I have to set standards and I will have to look at my own performance as well. I didn't expect that."The head coach, who succeeded Alan Stubbs last June, insists none of his players will have grounds for complaint if they are not selected for Wednesday's showdown at Easter Road."They will all want to play," Lennon said. "They didn't want to play today, some of them."So if they are not in the team for Wednesday they can knock on my door all they want. I will just show them the first hour of the game."

Strange isn't it, having read & listened to Lennon's interview he basically said what many said on the match day thread, but he is then critised by some on the same posters for saying it.

Lago
18-02-2017, 07:52 PM
you just dont get it, do you.

Get what?

coco22
18-02-2017, 07:54 PM
Whether it's the right psychological move or not will remain to be seen however, imo, NL is totally justified in his comments - he is clearly frustrated and rightly so. Needs to deflect his emotion onto the squad and get a long -term reaction now.

Andy74
18-02-2017, 07:55 PM
I know my opinion on NL on the other thread hasn't proved popular but that's the comparison that came to mind.

It didn't come to my mind at all because there's virtually no sensible comparison to be made.

greenlex
18-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Did Butcher niot get stick in here for slating the players about this time of he season? He's angry. Good. That's for the dressing room tho not Radio ****ing Clyde. Who's he trying to impress?

Thecat23
18-02-2017, 07:58 PM
Did Butcher nit get stuck in here fir slating the players about this time of he season? He's angry. Good. That's fir the dressing room nit Radio ****ing Clyde. Who's he trying to impress?

Butcher liked booting, punching and throwing things though!

Northernhibee
18-02-2017, 07:58 PM
It didn't come to my mind at all because there's virtually no sensible comparison to be made.

Two interviews publicly criticising players? You really don't see a comparison to be made?

I'm of the opinion that managers should praise in public and criticise in the dressing room. All it does is put extra pressure on individual players and potentially demotivate the team.

hibs0666
18-02-2017, 08:00 PM
Two interviews publicly criticising players? You really don't see a comparison to be made?

I'm of the opinion that managers should praise in public and criticise in the dressing room. All it does is put extra pressure on individual players and potentially demotivate the team.

Isn't he saying the same thing as you?

wookie70
18-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Strange isn't it, having read & listened to Lennon's interview he basically said what many said on the match day thread, but he is then critised by some on the same posters for saying it. Do you not think what Lennon says on the most popular Scottish Football Radio station, which will then get regurgitated on the TV and papers may have slightly more effect on the players. It might be a great move or it could be a disaster. Time will tell what if any reaction we get from the players. He had every right to be p***ed off but saying it so brutally in public is a dangerous game.

emerald green
18-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Butcher liked booting, punching and throwing things though!

Aided and abetted by his foul mouthed side kick. A couple of bullies.

Northernhibee
18-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Isn't he saying the same thing as you?

No, and furthermore I'm not leading that pool of players, selecting them or handling the media after the game. I'm one person with an opinion on an internet message board.

Lago
18-02-2017, 08:07 PM
Do you not think what Lennon says on the most popular Scottish Football Radio station, which will then get regurgitated on the TV and papers may have slightly more effect on the players. It might be a great move or it could be a disaster. Time will tell what if any reaction we get from the players. He had every right to be p***ed off but saying it so brutally in public is a dangerous game.
Listening to him it was obvious to me he had lost all patience with the squad & was just sick to the back teeth with what he was watching, if certain players do take the huff they will be playing in this league next season, if they are lucky.

Thecat23
18-02-2017, 08:07 PM
Aided and abetted by his foul mouthed side kick. A couple of bullies.

Correct. 👍🏼

Hibernia&Alba
18-02-2017, 08:10 PM

Well said, Neil: today simply wasn't good enough; far from it. Glad to hear the passion and the demand for standards to be met. Now let's see whether we get a response.

Andy74
18-02-2017, 08:12 PM
Did Butcher niot get stick in here for slating the players about this time of he season? He's angry. Good. That's for the dressing room tho not Radio ****ing Clyde. Who's he trying to impress?

Butcher told most of them they weren't very good and not in his plans for the future.

Lennon is more disappointed that he thinks good players aren't always applying themselves.

He also made a good point about knowing about good players and good teams and how they have to work and behave. He has the achievements to match the chat.

If we have any players that don't think they can learn from Lennon then it's best they aren't here long term.

Onceinawhile
18-02-2017, 08:13 PM
I get the feeling the players aren't 100% on side and I don't think this will help. Don't think it'll make a blind bit of a difference though. 7 wins is enough to finish top and this squad will do it blindfolded.

pacoluna
18-02-2017, 08:13 PM
About time players like mcginn and Fyvie got a bollocking, important players for Hibs and obviously talented, but that means sweet fa when playing teams who roll up their sleeves and make it hard. There is a reason why we are in our 3rd season in chship the reasing being... As Lennon says we aren't good enough, simple.
Turn up and a put a performance on like that against a 3rd division team and we would struggle.
Today's game was dross

pacoluna
18-02-2017, 08:16 PM

What like stubbs, we were a soft touch, one the reaaons we are still in this league, about time players got a kick up the arse.

Diclonius
18-02-2017, 08:17 PM
What? That Hibs will be unable to win a single game for weeks on end and get relegated? :rolleyes:

That the players will stop playing for him.

mcfly
18-02-2017, 08:25 PM

Wow yet another negative post.

Look at the league table we are 7 points clear

This is a great chance to get a home draw v ayr in the 1/4 final

There will be a lot of money at stake this game is crucial so
get a grip

SlickShoes
18-02-2017, 08:27 PM
I get the feeling the players aren't 100% on side and I don't think this will help. Don't think it'll make a blind bit of a difference though. 7 wins is enough to finish top and this squad will do it blindfolded.

The 7 wins thing sounds a lot like when we only needed one point to avoid the relegation play offs for weeks

Borderhibbie76
18-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Be quiet

Borderhibbie76
18-02-2017, 08:33 PM
He did tho mate he singles out Cummings fyvie Mcginn and says only pass marks in 1st half were Lewis McGregor and Graham

Swedish hibee
18-02-2017, 08:37 PM
Be quiet

How rude! It's a forum for all opinions.

wookie70
18-02-2017, 08:37 PM
Listening to him it was obvious to me he had lost all patience with the squad & was just sick to the back teeth with what he was watching, if certain players do take the huff they will be playing in this league next season, if they are lucky.

The point is we all might be in this league if the players react the wrong way. It is a high risk strategy that has backfired before. You surely don't have to think back that far to remember. It is one of the reasons we are in this league in the first place. I can understand his frustration but calling most of his team unprofessional in as many words could come back to haunt him and us.

Hibby Bairn
18-02-2017, 08:41 PM
Publicly raising the bar. For the whole team and club.

This is who we are and if you want be at Hibernian then this is what our expectations are.

Seems fair enough to me.

Borderhibbie76
18-02-2017, 08:41 PM

Yeah crossed my mind too I must admit...was a sideways swipe at the Board?? I've believed all along we should have brought a couple more in during Jan and lennon did too

Borderhibbie76
18-02-2017, 08:50 PM
How rude! It's a forum for all opinions.
So u think it's acceptable to call the team he supposedly supports crap?? A team that's 7 points clear...?? Their attitude stank today I was there to witness it hence the managers reaction. But that is OTT nonsense that he is posting and deliberately to get a reaction

madhatter
18-02-2017, 08:51 PM
If the players don't get on side then they can gtf. Lennon is on the money - these results are why we are still in this league.

Casual non-committed approach to important games (should have beat Hearts on to struggling against Raith in an important league game).

Apart from defending did many players break out of a jog today? They can have all the skill in the world but they need to apply themselves and make sure others follow suit. McGregor and Stevenson did ok and Marciano could hardly be faulted but the rest were terrible, great free kick from Cummings but in open play abysmal.

Also Lennon didn't say we were not a good team, he said he kept hearing we were a passing team and he is right, we aren't.

mcfly
18-02-2017, 08:57 PM

Give it a rest.

Support the team and stop moaning

We're 7 points clear man

Tyler Durden
18-02-2017, 09:00 PM
I wish people would spare us the "he is a winner, he doesn't suffer fools" type comments. Is there any evidence that Lennons approach has worked at all to date? I think the only player he has remotely improved is Boyle and he won't even play him recently.

This interview sounds great to some but it should never be necessary. At least he has the decency to say he will need to look at himself too. Hopefully the squad regroups and gets the result on Wednesday to kick start the next few months

cmcd
18-02-2017, 09:02 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I think reading between the lines.

Comments about the small squad restricting his options to change things.

He sounds really frustrated.

I think he appreciates that his neck is on the block. On a personal level he cannot afford to fail at Hibs and I think he is aware of that fact.

He's feeling the heat, he's totally determined and I don't think he's prepared to tolerate anyone compromising our chances of getting promoted, and on this occasion I think he is annoyed at the board as well as certain players.

These are people he should be able to rely upon for backing and to be helping him deliver on his goals, not hinder him.
There must be something wrong with my hearing .At know time did I her anything from Lennon that made me think he was unhappy with the board

wookie70
18-02-2017, 09:03 PM
If the players don't get on side then they can gtf. Lennon is on the money - these results are why we are still in this league.

Casual non-committed approach to important games (should have beat Hearts on to struggling against Raith in an important league game).

Apart from defending did many players break out of a jog today? They can have all the skill in the world but they need to apply themselves and make sure others follow suit. McGregor and Stevenson did ok and Marciano could hardly be faulted but the rest were terrible, great free kick from Cummings but in open play abysmal.

Also Lennon didn't say we were not a good team, he said he kept hearing we were a passing team and he is right, we aren't.

We crtainly aren't a passing team since he arrived. I have no idea what tactics Lennon has ordered but Hibs were a passing side last year and the starting 11 today was all from last year's squad barring the Keeper and Graham. Players look like they did under Butcher at times, lacking confidence and just wanting to get the ball forward as early as they can. That is amazing considering we are clear at the top of the league.

Lennon clearly thinks that it is the players but I think we are set up to play long and early most weeks. Today we started with 4 defenders, 2 holding midfielders and a striker out of position at the tip of the diamond. We weren't set up to keep it tight in the Dundee Utd game and look what happened there. We looked like a passing side and destroyed them.

Captain Trips
18-02-2017, 09:05 PM

I will give you a few reasons why I think it will not:

Paul Heffernan
James Collins
Ryan McGivern
Michael Nelson

Plus a host of ***** loans etc throughout that tenure. Butchered also made early on in his tenure a series of man management errors. Butchered is a total 100‰ clownshoe.

He made Calderwood look half decent.

Hiber-nation
18-02-2017, 09:06 PM
We crtainly aren't a passing team since he arrived. I have no idea what tactics Lennon has ordered but Hibs were a passing side last year and the starting 11 today was all from last year's squad barring the Keeper and Graham. Players look like they did under Butcher at times, lacking confidence and just wanting to get the ball forward as early as they can. That is amazing considering we are clear at the top of the league.

Lennon clearly thinks that it is the players but I think we are set up to play long and early most weeks. Today we started with 4 defenders, 2 holding midfielders and a striker out of position at the tip of the diamond. We weren't set up to keep it tight in the Dundee Utd game and look what happened there. We looked like a passing side and destroyed them.

We set up all out attack and pass through the midfield against Ayr and look what happened. Humphrey didn't want the ball for starters. I don't know what the solution is.

3pm
18-02-2017, 09:08 PM
That's a shocker.

ancient hibee
18-02-2017, 09:10 PM
It might have helped to bring players in at the window but we should win the league with the players we have so I understand the reluctance to sign anyone because as Hearts and Rangers both showed when promoted the players that get you into the Premiership will not be the ones to play there.

madhatter
18-02-2017, 09:16 PM

Regardless of how the team is setup we should be winning...Pedro was played left wingback for Chelsea today, that's not his position but he was played there...

Players need to to apply themselves in every game and for years Hibs players havent, simple as. Players applied themselves for the Dundee United game, we didn't thump them because of anything else because a very similar team played against Ayr and were shocking.

Lets not forget we passed the ball to death under Stubbs and in some games we needed to go 2-3 nil down to actually commit something forward in the way of meaningful attacks. How many years have we retained 60+ possession with our centre backs getting most touches of the ball? Answer, too many. Passing team my backside, passing from left to right in defence doesn't constitute anything, it's a bit like PSG against Barca, Barca were 4-0 down and Pique passed to Umtiti who passed it back...silky football indeed.

Zero urgency. Regardless of how Lennon set us up where is the captain screaming at players to get them going? Where is a single player going on a driving run to wake others up? Nowhere, there was an expectation today that they'd just win. Complacency is rife at the moment as it was under Stubbs each year at this point in the season. We are the Scottish Arsenal, shocking from Feb-Apr every year pretty much.

Silver Fox
18-02-2017, 09:36 PM

He said Jason was poor and mentioned SJM too

madhatter
18-02-2017, 09:46 PM

Who cares?

Is this really the life of a footballer now?:
Well paid - Check
Easy job in comparison to most - Check
Cannot be criticised - Check, really????

Players play with colourful slippers now and clearly have the mental durability to go with them. Fans need to man up as well as the players - these players are paid quite well and who gives a damn if they get well deserved criticism, they get the adulation if they do things right.

I mess up at work and I get told so, if it is substantial then there might be talks about me. If I do well at work I don't get 14k+ fans singing my name. Comes with the job and if they can't take it then dreams of playing at the highest level is just that...a dream.

lord bunberry
18-02-2017, 09:53 PM
Be quiet

Well said mate, I'm sick of listening to his negative rants, He can take his away season ticket and ram it where the sun doesn't shine.

Deansy
18-02-2017, 10:04 PM
I fully understand Lennon's anger - the performance when we beat Dundee Utd in Jan when we won 3-0, was simply superb and showed what this team is capable of, it really was a joy to watch. However, we've never played anywhere near that standard since - no wonder he's angry !

RoxburghHibs
18-02-2017, 10:11 PM
I fully understand Lennon's anger - the performance when we beat Dundee Utd in Jan when we won 3-0, was simply superb and showed what this team is capable of, it really was a joy to watch. However, we've never played anywhere near that standard since - no wonder he's angry !

Agree totally.

However I worry that he has today lost the dressing room.

We do not want another Terry Butcher.

Big few weeks ahead :flag:

tamig
18-02-2017, 10:11 PM

SJM hardly did a thing today. Do you disagree?

lucky
18-02-2017, 10:15 PM
FFS guys we are a Scottish championship side, we will have hiccups. We don't play silky football but we are in the best position in 3 seasons. Being a Hibbie is a roller coaster. Time some you enjoyed the ride

18-02-2017, 10:16 PM
Publicly raising the bar. For the whole team and club.

This is who we are and if you want be at Hibernian then this is what our expectations are.

Seems fair enough to me.

Exactly. Today was awful. Yes we didn't lose and in the past managers would be ok with this but Lennon is a winner and won't accept mediocre. We expect better and i'm glad we have a manager who expects nothing less than winning.

Carheenlea
18-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Neil Lennon's observations were pretty much the same as the fans within earshot of me today - it needed said and glad he said it.

madhatter
18-02-2017, 10:19 PM
FFS guys we are a Scottish championship side, we will have hiccups. We don't play silky football but we are in the best position in 3 seasons. Being a Hibbie is a roller coaster. Time some you enjoyed the ride

Enjoy the ride, you taking the p***?

High-On-Hibs
18-02-2017, 10:19 PM
He credited Jason for the goal and the team spirit for coming back again. But he also rightfully pointed out that only a couple of players performed consistantly throughout the match.

What he said was absolutely spot on. Not sure how anybody can complain about anything he said to be honest.

sauzee6_2
18-02-2017, 10:23 PM

I've had my doubts about Lennon, however that interview tells me that he cares about us - the fans.

It's easy to forget the fans and concentrate on the team , however that interview said he is peeved off and wants better.....that tells me he understands our feelings.

For the first time in his tenure he has my 100% support (previously 99%) .

Get stuck into those Jambo dogs!!!!?

GGTTH

MGmick
18-02-2017, 10:24 PM
Regardless of how the team is setup we should be winning...Pedro was played left wingback for Chelsea today, that's not his position but he was played there...

Players need to to apply themselves in every game and for years Hibs players havent, simple as. Players applied themselves for the Dundee United game, we didn't thump them because of anything else because a very similar team played against Ayr and were shocking.

Lets not forget we passed the ball to death under Stubbs and in some games we needed to go 2-3 nil down to actually commit something forward in the way of meaningful attacks. How many years have we retained 60+ possession with our centre backs getting most touches of the ball? Answer, too many. Passing team my backside, passing from left to right in defence doesn't constitute anything, it's a bit like PSG against Barca, Barca were 4-0 down and Pique passed to Umtiti who passed it back...silky football indeed.

Zero urgency. Regardless of how Lennon set us up where is the captain screaming at players to get them going? Where is a single player going on a driving run to wake others up? Nowhere, there was an expectation today that they'd just win. Complacency is rife at the moment as it was under Stubbs each year at this point in the season. We are the Scottish Arsenal, shocking from Feb-Apr every year pretty much.

There's a lot of sense in the post quoted and there's generally a lot of confusion in posts about how good/bad we are and what sort of a game we play.

I'm certainly no expert but from a "my perspective" viewpoint here's how we appear to me.

We are currently the,arguably,best team in the second best league in a country where the second best team in the best league are regularly eliminated from European competition before the bairns summer holidays are finished (remember how we all laughed when the sheep got done by Skonto Riga?). With that in mind it seems to me that discussions about our style and "philosophy" (christ that word makes me laugh) are a wee bit " one legged man - arse kicking competitionish".

Can we not just work on being fitter, faster, stronger and harder than the competition? Can we not just try and use those assets to score goals against them and stop them scoring against us?

I realise that what I've suggested isn't rocket science but then playing football didn't used to be either.

Silver Fox
18-02-2017, 10:29 PM
Who cares?

Nope, I agree with Lennon, :agree: I was at the Ayr game and the first half was brutal, I was merely pointing out to the boy who said no one had been criticised, after listening to the interview, that two players had been singled out.

The Hibs mentality thing has been going on for years with different players and managers, so what he said was needed, I'm delighted he has put a rocket up their arse, great timing.

I personally think we play better when Dylan and Holt play but Fyvie does have his strengths.

Heisenberg
18-02-2017, 11:36 PM
I'll start by saying I've no idea how James Keatings gets a game. He's absolutely anonymous and has brought basically nothing to us since he signed. Brian Graham isn't good enough for Hibs either. Fyvie and McGinn are both good but don't seem to show it consistently. We still have major problems attacking wise both in midfield and up front. Lennon was absolutely justified to have a go at them today, some of them need to wake up and realise we haven't won a thing this season. They are playing like the league is won.

Forza Fred
18-02-2017, 11:46 PM
Appears there are a couple of interviews, and some of the responses are predicated on the less severe one.

I listened to the harsher one where individual players were called out, and shook my head.

The substance of what was said may be correct, but surely as manager it was his job to fix the issues he identifies...it's not as if he's only been here a week or so?

And......I have yet to meet anyone in any profession whose performance improves as a result of being publicly humiliated by the boss.

Hi Heid Yin
18-02-2017, 11:52 PM
Maybe it's a generational thing, where we older supporters (I'm 59) grew up thinking that a good rollicking (public or otherwise) was deemed acceptable and worthy of respect, because I totally agree with lennon slating his teams performance, whilst so many on here ( a lot of them much younger than myself) are tut-tutting and shaking their heads at the "hairdryer approach", thinking that Lennon will lose the dressing room and the players will go into their shells and under-perform for the rest of the season.
I say to those players who routinely down tools and simply go through the motions: "Man Up", "Shape up or Ship Out", "Grow a set", act and respond in a mature fashion and accept deserved criticism. What you dished out on behalf of Hibernian Football club and it's supporters for over 60 minutes at Raith Rovers was totally unacceptable. You are well paid and privileged and, yes, pampered compared to the ordinary man on the street. Get out on that park in every single game between now and the seasons end and give 100% for all those who have entrusted and honoured you to wear the green and white of this famous club. :grr::grr::grr:

northstandhibby
18-02-2017, 11:54 PM
Appears there are a couple of interviews, and some of the responses are predicated on the less severe one.

I listened to the harsher one where individual players were called out, and shook my head.

The substance of what was said may be correct, but surely as manager it was his job to fix the issues he identifies...it's not as if he's only been here a week or so?

And......I have yet to meet anyone in any profession whose performance improves as a result of being publicly humiliated by the boss.

I don't think they were publicly humiliated, more akin to an honest assessment by Lenny. i assume he felt they required a wake up call. Let's back the manager for calling out a poor display and hope it inspires a response by under-performing players.

glory glory

half.time.draw.
18-02-2017, 11:58 PM

The league is the most important, Wednesday is a side show.

Forza Fred
18-02-2017, 11:58 PM
Maybe it's a generational thing, where we older supporters (I'm 59) grew up thinking that a good rollicking (public or otherwise) was deemed acceptable and worthy of respect, because I totally agree with lennon slating his teams performance, whilst so many on here ( a lot of them much younger than myself) are tut-tutting and shaking their heads at the "hairdryer approach", thinking that Lennon will lose the dressing room and the players will go into their shells and under-perform for the rest of the season.
I say to those players who routinely down tools and simply go through the motions: "Man Up", "Shape up or Ship Out", "Grow a set", act and respond in a mature fashion and accept deserved criticism. What you dished out on behalf of Hibernian Football club and it's supporters for over 60 minutes at Raith Rovers was totally unacceptable. You are well paid and privileged and, yes, pampered compared to the ordinary man on the street. Get out on that park in every single game between now and the seasons end and give 100% for all those who have entrusted and honoured you to wear the green and white of this famous club. :grr::grr::grr:

There may be an alternative view that if the manager has been unable to change the behaviour of certain players by all the other tools that he may possess, and feels that public denigration is the last resort, that maybe the manager did not have much of the tools/skills we hired him for in the first place?

GreenOnions
19-02-2017, 12:04 AM
NL has been very supportive of the team in public before today. I think what he said today needed to be said. Any players worthy of a starting slot will accept the criticism as justified and will use it as a motivation. The players' ability is definitely there but it needs to be shown consistently if we are to succeed at a higher level.

ShinyFantastic
19-02-2017, 12:16 AM
The league is the most important, Wednesday is a side show.

Get stuffed.

Hi Heid Yin
19-02-2017, 12:20 AM
There may be an alternative view that if the manager has been unable to change the behaviour of certain players by all the other tools that he may possess, and feels that public denigration is the last resort, that maybe the manager did not have much of the tools/skills we hired him for in the first place?

Fair points, but Lennon has spent practically this entire season bending over backwards to praise and protect his team. If there is any maturity at all in the dressing room then those leaders in our team (Gray for example) should be impressing upon the more immature players (those likely to sulk and potentially down tools) why Lennon was right to slate them and the reasons behind his actions. Lennon wants a reaction - a positive collective one. If he and we the supporters see more fight, grit, determination and consistency ( not to mention wins) resulting from this "rare" public attack by Lennon, then all would not be in vain.

Forza Fred
19-02-2017, 01:39 AM
I don't think they were publicly humiliated, more akin to an honest assessment by Lenny. i assume he felt they required a wake up call. Let's back the manager for calling out a poor display and hope it inspires a response by under-performing players.

glory glory

Let's hope indeed it inspires the players, but it sounded more like one of Donald Trump's angry rants than it did Lincoln's Gettysburg address😛

Mantis Toboggan
19-02-2017, 01:44 AM
I wish people would spare us the "he is a winner, he doesn't suffer fools" type comments. Is there any evidence that Lennons approach has worked at all to date? I think the only player he has remotely improved is Boyle and he won't even play him recently.

This interview sounds great to some but it should never be necessary. At least he has the decency to say he will need to look at himself too. Hopefully the squad regroups and gets the result on Wednesday to kick start the next few months

Yes there is evidence. We are 7 points clear at the top of the league.

SunshineOnLeith
19-02-2017, 01:47 AM

I presume you took the same approach to Butcher and Malpas' treatment of the squad?

Remind us how that worked out.

MWHIBBIES
19-02-2017, 01:50 AM
Get stuffed.
Why should he get stuffed? He is absolutely spot on, we must get promoted and it takes priority way before the cup. If going out on Wed gains us 3 extra points between now and May id take it every time.

cabbageandribs1875
19-02-2017, 02:58 AM
Get stuffed.

think about it

although it would be nice to get at least another shot against Ayr at ER this season :) i think :greengrin 3rd time lucky and aw that

The_Horde
19-02-2017, 04:21 AM
The man is out of his depth and papering over the cracks in his own deficiencies by blaming anyone else but himself. He's taken us backwards on last year and our only saving grace at this moment in time is the other clubs are *****ing it a lot worse than we are.

California-Hibs
19-02-2017, 04:28 AM
The man is out of his depth and papering over the cracks in his own deficiencies by blaming anyone else but himself. He's taken us backwards on last year and our only saving grace at this moment in time is the other clubs are *****ing it a lot worse than we are.

Out his depth?! 😂😂 c'mon now, the guys managed in the Champions Leagues at venues like the nou camp. He's hardly 'out his depth'

Mantis Toboggan
19-02-2017, 05:23 AM

No, hes taken us clear at the top of the league.
Out of his depth, seriously?

RoxburghHibs
19-02-2017, 06:40 AM

You keep focusing on the negatives if that's your thing - must be fun spending time in your company - I will focus on reality.

We are not crap. However we have certainly had some ***** performances this season. Win the next 3 games and all is forgiven.

J-C
19-02-2017, 06:40 AM

Or that these certain players have finally proved to Lennon and us that they don't deserve to be at this club, he's given them umpteen opportunities to change their ways and finally the only resort is this, there's only so much pampering of players you can do till you realise they're just not good enough.

There's a reason players like Keatings, Boyle etc are playing in this league, it's their level and until we get up and ship them out, we have to get the best out of them which isn't happening. There's a good few out of contract in the summer and many aren't showing enough to get new ones, they should be busting a gut to make sure that happens but are just going through the motions, I think Lennon used the word unprofessional yesterday, probably spot on.

Col2
19-02-2017, 07:55 AM
Listened to all the interviews with the press and IMHO he was spot on and I was pleased to hear him react like this for the first and hopefully only time.

We are at a critical point in the season. We can and should finish our rivals off and comfortably win this league. We had a chance to go 9 points clear which with out goal difference is 10 points with only 12 games left. In out last league game we were shocking against Ayr and all week he had been talking about not doing the same again.

The opportunity and warning could not have been clearer.

Yet we performed for 60 mins like amateurs.

I reckon if he HADNT said anything then the players would naturally be thinking, OK a draw is OK and on to the next game.

This may end up being a master stroke and the reality is IF we win our next 3 league games we are probably almost certain champions. IF we also win Derby then we are hot favourites for a semi final Hampden trip in April and one game away another final.

12 months ago we were imploding for one month. Stubbs wouldn't have done what Lennon did but we know how that worked out.

Time for action. Less chat in the papers and Twitter. Just do it Hibs.

Borderhibbie76
19-02-2017, 08:02 AM
Couldn't agree more...that first 60 mins yesterday was brutally bad and lennon has every right to call them out...especially on the back of the Ayr performance too. Far too many of them going thru the motions and it's time the woke up and smelt the coffee. If any of the little lambs are unhappy at their public slaughter well they know where the door is....as far as I'm concerned I only want winners playing for the Jersey

Heisenberg
19-02-2017, 08:05 AM
Listened to all the interviews with the press and IMHO he was spot on and I was pleased to hear him react like this for the first and hopefully only time.

We are at a critical point in the season. We can and should finish our rivals off and comfortably win this league. We had a chance to go 9 points clear which with out goal difference is 10 points with only 12 games left. In out last league game we were shocking against Ayr and all week he had been talking about not doing the same again.

I reckon if he HADNT said anything then the players would naturally be thinking, OK a draw is OK and on to the next game.

This may end up being a master stroke and the reality is IF we win our next 3 league games we are probably almost certain champions. IF we also win Derby then we are hot favourites for a semi final Hampden trip in April and one game away another final.

12 months ago we were imploding for one month. Stubbs wouldn't have done what Lennon did but we know how that worked out.

Good post. Either way i think we'll look back on this as a major turning point of our season. The players either react positively and stop trying to sleepwalk to the title to turn it into a skooshing or they don't take the criticism well and we fall right back into the mix with United/Falkirk/Morton.

neil7908
19-02-2017, 08:12 AM
I think Lennon was right to be honest about the performance. I wasn't there yesterday but the Ayr game was dreadful. I hate it when managers make up excuses and blame the ref when they aren't playing well.

I do worry that the level of criticism was Butcheresque and could alienate some players. However, Lennon obviously knows the players and their mentality a lot better than we do so I hope this wasn't an angry rant in the heat of the moment but a deliberate move to fire them up.

Having said all that, he does need to look at his own team selections. We seem to be changing not just the personnel but the formation nearly every week. His signings other than Marciano have been underwhelming. Players are put out of position (Keatings) and in particular I've looked at our midfield and thought several times - where are the goals and creativity coming from? I love Bartley but a midfield with him, Fyvie and Mcginn will generally always struggle to create.

I think we'll have enough in the tank to go up but I think the tean needs more work that I thought a few weeks ago. Most importantly we need to have some consistency in selection and approach and ensure we sign players to fit into our system.

Dunbar Hibee
19-02-2017, 08:15 AM
Out his depth?! 😂😂 c'mon now, the guys managed in the Champions Leagues at venues like the nou camp. He's hardly 'out his depth'

Not being funny, but that means **** all. He's Hibs manager now.

HFCdeb
19-02-2017, 08:20 AM

Except repeatedly give the ball away right in front of our defence. He was terrible yesterday.

Andy74
19-02-2017, 08:32 AM
Not being funny, but that means **** all. He's Hibs manager now.

Very relevant when someone chooses to say he is out his depth.

mcfly
19-02-2017, 08:33 AM

Delusional pal you really are

We are 7 points clear - the football may not be great but it's hard to play good football when only 1 team wants to play.

Most teams (if you ever go to Easter road) set up with defence in mind
they don't try to play.

Lennon will get us promoted so calm down and support the club

If you are going to talk rubbish don't bother - I'm sick of the negativity

All we need to do is win the league

Also Wednesday is massive for confidence and money

mcfly
19-02-2017, 08:35 AM

Well said sir 👍

bingo70
19-02-2017, 08:40 AM

I don't think he is out of his depth but I don't really see that he's managed in the champions league as relevant.

It's two completely different jobs and just cos he managed successfully at one end of the spectrum doesn't mean he can do it at the other.

eastcoasthibby
19-02-2017, 08:43 AM
Good post. Either way i think we'll look back on this as a major turning point of our season. The players either react positively and stop trying to sleepwalk to the title to turn it into a skooshing or they don't take the criticism well and we fall right back into the mix with United/Falkirk/Morton.

Not there yesterday but seems Luke a few same old aspects in play ..crap just need to turn up attitude if a few players, I think I am better than I am arrogance of some players, team selection Bartley is not the man when u need to play a bit of football and play with pace in a game, what is it going to take to get thus lot to realise that this season is a do or die that poor attitudes,are not acceptable Lennon is right to get into them ...they will lift it for Wednesday and then beware for a drop in standards again next Saturday !! Maybe they should meet some fans,and let us imprint on them how important it is to win these games and get promoted !; best possible team needs to go out every week ..that has pace and flair !! As a priority !!!

Andy74
19-02-2017, 08:45 AM
I don't think he is out of his depth but I don't really see that he's managed in the champions league as relevant.

It's two completely different jobs and just cos he managed successfully at one end of the spectrum doesn't mean he can do it at the other.

Perhaps we all have different understandings of the term out his depth then.

What you say is true that it doesn't mean he will be a success at this level but it is very relevant to the specific comment that he is out his depth which is obviously ridiculous.

Dunbar Hibee
19-02-2017, 08:53 AM

I don't think he's out of his depth, but this is a completely different job for NL and past successes mean **** all.

Babyshamble
19-02-2017, 08:55 AM

😂 Deary me

Jim44
19-02-2017, 08:55 AM
Not there yesterday but seems Luke a few same old aspects in play ..crap just need to turn up attitude if a few players, I think I am better than I am arrogance of some players, team selection Bartley is not the man when u need to play a bit of football and play with pace in a game, what is it going to take to get thus lot to realise that this season is a do or die that poor attitudes,are not acceptable Lennon is right to get into them ...they will lift it for Wednesday and then beware for a drop in standards again next Saturday !! Maybe they should meet some fans,and let us imprint on them how important it is to win these games and get promoted !; best possible team needs to go out every week ..that has pace and flair !! As a priority !!!

.......... and breathe. :greengrin

Tom Hart RIP
19-02-2017, 09:24 AM
I remember Fergie slaughtering the Aberdeen players after they won the Scottish Cup and had won the European Cup Winners Cup.
Aberdeen had players who were determined to prove him wrong. Hopefully our players will react in that manner.
We will just have to wait and see

Super_JMcGinn
19-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Fair points, but Lennon has spent practically this entire season bending over backwards to praise and protect his team. If there is any maturity at all in the dressing room then those leaders in our team (Gray for example) should be impressing upon the more immature players (those likely to sulk and potentially down tools) why Lennon was right to slate them and the reasons behind his actions. Lennon wants a reaction - a positive collective one. If he and we the supporters see more fight, grit, determination and consistency ( not to mention wins) resulting from this "rare" public attack by Lennon, then all would not be in vain.

The thing that stands out for me and worries me the most is why wasn't that rant done at half time in the dressing room and if it was why were there no subs made if we were as bad as he says for an hour.

I'm not buying the it needed to be said bs, we're in Feb ffs. Yes we are 7 pts clear but that's more to do with the opposition than our results.

I think I've came away from ER twice this season purring over how well we played, 6 wins from 11 at home says it all for me and season tickets will fall rather than rise when we do go up.
The people who bought 1 on the back of our cup win can't be impressed with what's been served up this season.

oneone73
19-02-2017, 09:33 AM
The thing that stands out for me and worries me the most is why wasn't that rant done at half time in the dressing room and if it was why were there no subs made if we were as bad as he says for an hour.

It was - we were out for the second half 4 minutes later than Rovers. Seemed reasonable to me to give them 15 mins to redeem themselves. People are just inventing things to beat Lennon with now.

HFCdeb
19-02-2017, 09:36 AM
It was - we were out for the second half 4 minutes later than Rovers. Seemed reasonable to me to give them 15 mins to redeem themselves. People are just inventing things to beat Lennon with now.

Yep and he was going absolutely tonto on the touchline throughout the first half. I also suspect he didn't make any half time changes because he wanted them to dig themselves out of that shambles they produced in the first half.

CMac1988
19-02-2017, 09:38 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04tbcm6

matty_f
19-02-2017, 09:42 AM

He did question his own role in that performance though, he's not blaming everyone but himself.

Hibby Bairn
19-02-2017, 09:49 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04tbcm6

Excellent. Well said.

Greenworld
19-02-2017, 10:07 AM
Some of the comments are laughable. The team were shocking for the first hour never turned up and I agree entirely about the mentallity thing . The players and this was still a so called strong team need to go and look in the mirror ask themselves if that's the best they could have done. We all no the answer and that they are better than that.
They collectively need to play like they are playing hearts every week from here on in.
They need to play with that intensity that passion and that is all that Neil Lennon said.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

eezyrider
19-02-2017, 10:08 AM
I think NL is doing an okay job, but not great. In yesterday's interview he even admitted he'd have to look at his own performance.

This time last year Rangers were top with 60 points and we had 52 (having played 23 games) so we're doing worse than we did last year.

EZ

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Lets be completely honest here, the football we have been playing is not the best, but i will take any kind of football as long as we are up at the end of the season.

There is something wrong about Hibs playing at grounds where they only have one stand, against players who are working in the morning before rushing to the ground to get stripped.

It is soul destroying for the fans, and it must be for some of these players, but they are there and MUST get out of this league at any cost.

Now once up, i certainly want us to play better football, but if we were 7 points clear of Celtic playing this way we'd pack the place out. :greengrin

That obviously wont happen, so we need to be compact, keep goals against down to a minimum, and surely be better to watch.

Is Lennon capable of making us better to watch?

As the next step in my opinion is getting us to play more attractive football, but also competing for Europe.

The next stage after that is getting us to compete every season for Europe, the next stage is having us punching our weight regularly.

Is Lennon the man to do that?

What was the point of spending all that money on new stands, new training centres and the overhaul of the backroom staff, if we are just going to have more of the same since the Alex Miller years when STF came in?

We were told god knows how many years ago to be patient, the time now is to have some sort of plan that has us achieving some sort of success league wise, yes a cup would be nice, but Hibs need to now start to be regular winners of one of the European places, and need to start showing some success for the money we've spent on the infrastructure.

euro Hibby
19-02-2017, 10:42 AM
always some strange comments on football forums with fans tending to be up and down all season. Hibs historically have always been an up and down team blowing hot and cold so I guess that in part explains the nature also of the fan !

I think Lennon is right to give them a boot up the backside. Against Ayr we were terrible , against Hearts just ok and achieved the aim to get them back to Easter road. Yesterday listening on the radio and then watching the highlights this morning it's one of those performances you quite often see from Hibs, so hats off to the manager who is no mug and is just making sure they fully understand what is at stake. Making comparisons to last season is worthless. We need to get out of this league anyway we can and we also need to beat Hearts on Wednesday.

I don't think Hibs have been very good this year but we the measure is being in No 1 spot and we can address all the other issues before the next season.

macca70
19-02-2017, 10:47 AM
He's open and honest which is good to see, also very passionate which clearly shows he cares.

I dont like the fact he's singled out specific players and slagged them eg Cummings. Thats verging on bullying. We know Jason is mega inconsistent and drifts in and out of games but he pops up with goals, if it wasnt for his wonder free kick, we'd have lost yesterday.

Players and people in general react differently to being criticised like this, some will come out it stronger, some will cower into their shells. Sometimes certain characters need an arm round them and encouraged rather than this public slating.

Lennon is the man leading these poor performances and in the main position to influence them. Lennons decision for team selection against Ayr was absolutely shocking, that was not the players, Keatings upfront on his own at home, that decsision is unbelievable!!

macca70
19-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Also our team needs consitency, constantly chopping and changing isnt helpful. We need a settled striking partnership, i thought we had that with Holt/Cummings then he plays Graham/Cummings yesterday. Forget about future games, put your strongest 11 on the park.

Half the problem is probably that Lennon still doesnt know what his strongest 11 is and there are only 12 games of the season left.

19-02-2017, 10:55 AM
The day we start accepting drawing with Raith Rovers will be a very sad day. No disrespect to them but we really should be beating them. When hearts won the league 2 years ago and rangers last season they were comfertably beating teams like that. I'm glad we have someone like Lennon, a winner, who will not accept mediocracy. We've had managers in the past who, just because we didn't lose, would have sugarcoated it and basically accepted it.

It sounds as if Lennon gave them an absolute earful in that dressing room. Good. Hammer into them a winners mentality and that sloppy performances like that are not and never will be acceptable at this club. For far too long we had players and managers that accepted mediocracy and its because of that that we ended up where we are.

The Ayr game should have been the wake up call that we can't just expect to turn up to games and win. There is absolutely no room for complacency. I hope Lennon has given them a big kick up the back side and the players are raring to go on Wednesday.

HFCdeb
19-02-2017, 10:56 AM
He's open and honest which is good to see, also very passionate which clearly shows he cares.

I dont like the fact he's singled out specific players and slagged them eg Cummings. Thats verging on bullying. We know Jason is mega inconsistent and drifts in and out of games but he pops up with goals, if it wasnt for his wonder free kick, we'd have lost yesterday.

Players and people in general react differently to being criticised like this, some will come out it stronger, some will cower into their shells. Sometimes certain characters need an arm round them and encouraged rather than this public slating.

Lennon is the man leading these poor performances and in the main position to influence them. Lennons decision for team selection against Ayr was absolutely shocking, that was not the players, Keatings upfront on his own at home, that decsision is unbelievable!!

I don't think it's "bullying". Darren McGregor earns his song week in week out. McGinn and Cummings do not.

I agree re: the team selection v Ayr - baffling.

emerald green
19-02-2017, 10:56 AM
I've just read elsewhere that since being relegated from the top flight Hibs have only won 3 out of 8 trips to Raith Rovers in all competitions.

A terrible record, if a comparison is made between both clubs' resources. Yet some Hibs supporters still refer to clubs like Raith as "diddie teams". A classic example of (some) Hibs supporters being disrespectful to our opponents. Another thing Lennon accused his players of yesterday.

Neil Lennon (whatever people posting on this Forum think of him) recognises this sort of all too familiar team performance as an example of the softness (both physical and mental) which has led to three years in the Championship, and in my opinion FWIW could lead to a prolonged stay unless the players waken up pronto.

Lennon also referred to the players being complacent. I cannot think of a worse criticism of a professional, in any sport, apart from not trying.

I think the same criticism could be levelled at some Hibs supporters who think everything is OK because Hibs have a seven point lead over DU. Where it's 3 points for a win, a seven point lead can disappear like snow off a dyke. There's umpteen examples of such leads being overtaken in title races.

That's yet another reason why Lennon finally lost patience yesterday. He will be all too aware of this, and the danger that Hibs could throw it away if performances like yesterday's continue.

Before anyone says it, I'm glad to be 7 points in front rather than trailing by 7. But that's not really the issue. The issue is possibly chucking it away.

macca70
19-02-2017, 11:08 AM
I don't think it's "bullying". Darren McGregor earns his song week in week out. McGinn and Cummings do not.

I agree re: the team selection v Ayr - baffling.

Maybe not bullying but players need managed in different ways, i think a collective backside kicking and bollocking is necessary but individually maybe some of these guys need constructive criticism and coached through it by Lennon sharing experiences when he went through bad spells and times feeling low.

Good performances are generally built on confidence, i dont think a public individual slagging will do anyones confidence any good.

This rant could work 2 ways, players take it on board and buck up there ideas or it turns the players against our manager then we have a big problem as we are at a critical part of the season, 7 point lead with 12 games to go.

fiolex1
19-02-2017, 11:10 AM
I would also add that we owe to our away fans who have been fantastic this season to a better performance than that. We need to play every game with the intensity we displayed against Hearts.

emerald green
19-02-2017, 11:12 AM
That the players will stop playing for him.

Ah right. That would be totally unprofessional of course. I don't believe that's going to happen. The two scenarios aren't the same.

I just hope the players take the (justified) criticism on board, and show everyone they are not as bad as yesterday's abject performance.

Danderhall Hibs
19-02-2017, 11:16 AM
Maybe not bullying but players need managed in different ways, i think a collective backside kicking and bollocking is necessary but individually maybe some of these guys need constructive criticism and coached through it by Lennon sharing experiences when he went through bad spells and times feeling low.

Good performances are generally built on confidence, i dont think a public individual slagging will do anyones confidence any good.

This rant could work 2 ways, players take it on board and buck up there ideas or it turns the players against our manager then we have a big problem as we are at a critical part of the season, 7 point lead with 12 games to go.

It's not bullying. And the point you're making about players needing managed in different ways is correct, albeit slightly contradictory of what you've already said - presumably he thinks Cummings need a boot up the arse while others who don't get mentioned in his rant need the atm round the shoulder?

HFCdeb
19-02-2017, 11:53 AM

I'd be hugely surprised if Lennon hasn't tried a number of man management approaches prior to this yesterday.
We'll have to wait and see what happens against Dunfermline. I'm like Lennon at this stage - not particularly interested in Wednesday's result because it's nowhere near as important as the league. We all know the players will play their hearts out on Wed. They need to do it against our league opposition too otherwise they will rightly be called out on their attitude and respect for the fans and opposition.

Lago
19-02-2017, 12:06 PM
.......... and breathe. :greengrin
And use spell check:greengrin

Hi Heid Yin
19-02-2017, 12:25 PM
I presume you took the same approach to Butcher and Malpas' treatment of the squad?

Remind us how that worked out.

A totally unfair comparison.
Butcher literally "butchered" players right from the off, telling them they are not good enough and will be shipped out at the frst opportunity. He lost their respect and the dressing room early doors and suffered accordingly.

Lennon on the other hand has cajoled, praised and defended his team right from the off. He gained their respect and admiration. I'd be surprised if a single player did not agree with his public lambasting of them and their pitiful performance during those first 60 minutes.

Hi Heid Yin
19-02-2017, 12:30 PM

Nonsense. Lennon is a fighter and a winner, and saying that "he is out of his depth" is illogical - the man managed Celtic into The Champions League!

Super_JMcGinn
19-02-2017, 12:32 PM
A totally unfair comparison.
Butcher literally "butchered" players right from the off, telling them they are not good enough and will be shipped out at the frst opportunity. He lost their respect and the dressing room early doors and suffered accordingly.

Lennon on the other hand has cajoled, praised and defended his team right from the off. He gained their respect and admiration. I'd be surprised if a single player did not agree with his public lambasting of them and their pitiful performance during those first 60 minutes.

A 60 MIN in which he did NOTHING to change it and let's not kid ourselves on that this is our first bad performance, against Ayr we were at home and bloody worse. There has been some shambolic displays this season especially at home but because we haven't lost them we get the Stubbsy would have lost that game whereas we got a draw with lennon bs.

And who says he has gained their respect and admiration ? time will tell on that one but to single out Jason again is just pure wrong imo, he scored the frickin equaliser ffs.

Hi Heid Yin
19-02-2017, 12:35 PM
Couldn't agree more...that first 60 mins yesterday was brutally bad and lennon has every right to call them out...especially on the back of the Ayr performance too. Far too many of them going thru the motions and it's time the woke up and smelt the coffee. If any of the little lambs are unhappy at their public slaughter well they know where the door is....as far as I'm concerned I only want winners playing for the Jersey

:top marks:agree::agree::agree:

Big L
19-02-2017, 12:48 PM
Don't forget, this is virtually the team that had a dramatic collapse last season, and please don't tell me it couldn't happen again, I've followed the Hibs for to long to take anything for granted! Lennons rant yesterday was obviously an attempt to make sure we don't get a repeat. I think Lennon is as much to blame for the performances as anyone. The five outfield players he brought in have not had the required impact and have mostly been poor. One thing is sure, he will have a very angry dressing room, let's hope we get the right response. I looked at the next 5 games for the top 4 clubs and we all play each other at sometime. I think if we win the these games we go up, If we don't it will be a battle to the end and that's what I expect.

Hi Heid Yin
19-02-2017, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=Super_JMcGinn;4949030]A 60 MIN in which he did NOTHING to change it and let's not kid ourselves on that this is our first bad performance, against Ayr we were at home and bloody worse. There has been some shambolic displays this season especially at home but because we haven't lost them we get the Stubbsy would have lost that game whereas we got a draw with lennon bs.

And who says he has gained their respect and admiration ? time will tell on that one but to single out Jason again is just pure wrong imo, he scored the frickin equaliser ffs.[/QUOTE

point 1: changing things: Lennon saw a whole team not performing and no leader on the park taking the initiative by cajoling and rollicking his team mates. There comes a time when those players step over the line and should take responsiblity for their performance, individual and collective. He did the right thing by addressing them collectively at half time in the dressing room. This is evidence that he still believed in them collectively. The change came eventually in those last 30 minutes where he said "they were excellent!"

point 2: respect and admiration: The players have publicly stated time and again their admiration for Lennon and what he stands for. They also demonstrate this by "playing for him" and "taking us to the top of the league" - Butcher in comparison lost any potential respect/admiration and "took us down!"

point 3: single-out Jason: The whole world knows that Jason has the thickest skin on the planet and simply takes criticism with a pinch of salt - confident in his own ability to come up with the goods - namely goals. The frustration for Lennon and all of us is seeing Jason drift lacksadaisical-like through games, offering little to his team-mates. This can be seen as a lazy streak and something that a good manager sometimes has to address by lambasting the player (for his own good) in public.

Cod Boy
19-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Fair enough he wasn't happy and has let his feelings be known. But Mr Lennon must have been watching a different game from me to give Brian Graham pass marks.

Baldy Foghorn
19-02-2017, 12:58 PM
Fair enough he wasn't happy and has let his feelings be known. But Mr Lennon must have been watching a different game from me to give Brian Graham pass marks.

That was the only thing in his interview that surprised me

Billy Whizz
19-02-2017, 01:01 PM

Think he meant effort, rather than performance. He did give 100%