PDA

View Full Version : Was Scottish cup win best ever?

Captain Trips
17-02-2017, 04:05 PM
I think I saw it before but unsure, I know that it has been won by clubs outside the top league but has it been won when the club outside the top league beat 3 clubs from the league above on the way?

Nameless
17-02-2017, 04:07 PM
Without checking, I'm happy to confirm that our win is indeed, The Best Win Ever.

SRHibs
17-02-2017, 04:09 PM
Aye.

In all seriousness though, even when removing the green-tinted specs I can't think of a 'better' cup win than ours.

The whole narrative: the fact that we hadn't won it in 114 years; we are (whether we like it or not) a championship club who had beaten a host of SPL teams on the run-up to the final; heads were down after we had lost the LC final and eliminated as promotion prospects, and while there was still cautious optimism for the SC, another failure would not have come as a shock, and would have epitomised the entire season; going in as underdogs vs a relatively strong Hun side etc. For us to win it last season was actually pretty absurd.

There will not be another victory in Scottish football that comes close to rivalling the 21st of May. The sheer emotion at the final whistle will never be matched. How could it be? Even if we were to win the SPL it wouldn't come close to matching the 21st of May.

I challenge someone to be objective and come up with a cup win in Scottish football that is even close to as meaningful as ours.

jarre1875
17-02-2017, 04:19 PM
Hell yeah

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Spudster
17-02-2017, 04:34 PM
I think I saw it before but unsure, I know that it has been won by clubs outside the top league but has it been won when the club outside the top league beat 3 clubs from the league above on the way?

Our record against premier teams last year was outstanding. If you add our last two fixtures against Rangers (who at that point were promoted) it reads:
W 7
D 3
L 1

In a points scenario that's 24/33 or 2.18pts per game. Celtic won the title with 2.26pts per game.

stantonhibby
17-02-2017, 04:34 PM

I think East Fife are the only other club to have won it outside the top league.....1930 something. No idea who they beat on the way though.

FC Leige
17-02-2017, 04:57 PM
Dont forget Gretna very nearly won it in 2006 while a 2nd division club

Onion
17-02-2017, 05:12 PM
For backdrop and drama there has never, and will never be, a better Scottish Cup final.... ever.

Onceinawhile
17-02-2017, 05:18 PM

But they didn't.

Captain Trips
17-02-2017, 05:28 PM
Our record against premier teams last year was outstanding. If you add our last two fixtures against Rangers (who at that point were promoted) it reads:
W 7
D 3
L 1

In a points scenario that's 24/33 or 2.18pts per game. Celtic won the title with 2.26pts per game.

So we nearly won that league as well.

TrinityHibs
17-02-2017, 05:33 PM
I am sure the 1986 final was better as it completed a double for a non OF team. I don't think that has ever happened before

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Will never, ever be topped.

monktonharp
17-02-2017, 05:57 PM
I am sure the 1986 final was better as it completed a double for a non OF team. I don't think that has ever happened beforedon't be silly. our win was definitely the bestest ever never to be repeated game of fitba' in the whole wide world:greengrin there, just had to get that of my chest. we nearly got promoted, we also could or should have had a cup double, and settled for one.so damn close for a second tier team! Also, yes East Fife did the same in the 30's and I'm sure they actually did it twice while in a lower league. However, 2 clubs playing in a couple final while both were still in a lower league, has never been done until last year. :greengrin Another first for Hibernian fc

Scouse Hibee
17-02-2017, 06:29 PM

BUT and a very big BUT they never!

givescotlandfreedom
17-02-2017, 06:31 PM

I doubt they were spending 2nd division wages though. Glad to see the back of them.

calumhibee1
17-02-2017, 06:41 PM
100% the best ever. Last minute equaliser away to your rivals after looking down and out with ten mins to go? Yup.
Winner in the replay against your rivals by a player that they released? Yup
Picking ourselves up and winning the quarter final replay away at a ground that we have an awful record at 3 days after we were sucker punched in the last minute of the league cup final that we dominated? Yup
Winning the semi final on penalties with a hero goalie who hadn't played in 18 months? Yup.
More last minute heartbreak just days before the cup final in another tie that we deserved to win but didn't? Yup.
Winning the cup final after being 1-0 up, thinking the unthinkable, going 2-1 down and thinking here we go again, equalising with ten minutes to go and then have your captain score a last minute winner to win the cup and break the countries most famous football hoodoo? Yup.

The only time I can imagine another teams set of fans have felt that kind of emotion that we did would possibly be the season Man City won the league with two late goals. Other than that I can genuinely say I doubt any fans anywhere have or will felt that level of joy that we did when Gray headed home.

SirDavidsNapper
17-02-2017, 06:46 PM
Certainly most iconic Scottish Cup win ever. Motherwell v Dundee United 1991 a distant 2nd. A last minute winner in injury time to come back from the dead against all odds to win the cup for first time in 114 years sparking a mass pitch invasion and scenes all over Edinburgh. Couldn't make it up.

Sir David Gray
17-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Football should actually be scrapped now as 21.05.16 will never be surpassed.

Slavers
17-02-2017, 06:57 PM
On one youtube video a foreign national who's country he came from escapes me now but his comment summed it up nicely - "It was the perfect game of football".

Gotto agree with him.

FC Leige
17-02-2017, 07:02 PM
I doubt they were spending 2nd division wages though. Glad to see the back of them. Gutted they never won that game though. Google it if you dont know why

cleanyman
17-02-2017, 07:12 PM
I'll have to go for Dundee United vs Rangers

Surprise victory but also beating a Rangers team at the heights of its powers.

Motherwell vs DU is also up there.

The Spaceman
17-02-2017, 07:26 PM
In terms of drama I can only think of Aguero Vs QPR in the final day and Liverpool beating AC Milan as being so dramatic.

SlickShoes
17-02-2017, 07:40 PM
The fact that we beat the most hated team in the country in the final really put the cherry on the cake but we beat the holders at the time and our city rivals who were second in the league above us at the time and subsequently done everything they could to oust their manager after that despite the fact he was half decent.

Anyway yes it was the best ever.

It would take some extraordinary scenario for someone to top it.

The fact that it released the whole club from constant ridicule (merited or not) and destroyed every single thing our rivals held against us made it even better.

Springbank
17-02-2017, 08:17 PM

This

SuperAllyMcleod
17-02-2017, 08:23 PM
In terms of drama I can only think of Aguero Vs QPR in the final day and Liverpool beating AC Milan as being so dramatic.

I'd throw in Man U v Bayern in the Champions League Final to win the treble. Still think there was more drama in our win though. [emoji3][emoji471]

Sir David Gray
17-02-2017, 08:38 PM

The 1999 Champions League final wasn't bad for drama!

Northernhibee
17-02-2017, 08:38 PM
It's almost bittersweet to know I'll never experience another day like 21st May in my life.

monktonharp
17-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Certainly most iconic Scottish Cup win ever. Motherwell v Dundee United 1991 a distant 2nd. A last minute winner in injury time to come back from the dead against all odds to win the cup for first time in 114 years sparking a mass pitch invasion and scenes all over Edinburgh. Couldn't make it up.Well v Utd, the family final was definitely imho, the best Scottish cup final I'd seen............until 2016. paled into insignificance by a country mile.

One Day Soon
17-02-2017, 09:05 PM
It's just not even up for debate.

I'll settle for re-posting two previous reflections on that glorious day.

Grown men cried for weeks, Gray, 92 became a magic number, Logan, 100 years of pain were washed away, Hanlon, a club was reborn, Fontaine, ordinary men became heroes, Fyvie, there really was Sunshine on Leith, McGeouch, Hibee families had the best parties of their lives, Stevenson, Angels Up Above were remembered and toasted, McGinn, 150,000 Hibernian supporters turned Leith Walk and Leith Links into a human river of green and white, McGregor, football fans all over the globe were in awe of 25,000 fans singing the best club anthem in the world, Stokes, people hugged and cuddled strangers in celebration, Cummings, political leaders of the UK and Scotland congratulated Hibernian, Gunnarrson, Kenny Miller had the class to step into the Hibernian changing room to congratulate the Hibernian players, Henderson, when the Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup we were there, Keatings, we stood for the entire game without noticing it, Stubbs, people prayed, Edinburgh saw one of the longest and most peaceful set of street parties it has ever had, 1,000,000 didn't become a magic number, #weargreen worked, it was a Time for Heroes, their defence was terrified because Stokesy was on fire, Hibee love was in the air, there was a harp back on the stand and Trainspotting 2 was being made, we Hibsed it 3-2, the emotion was indescribable, tattooists ran out of green ink, wee boys and girls went proudly into school as winners, we were on our way from misery to happiness that day, we had McGinn - super John McGinn I just don't think they understood, it was the 21st day in May of 2016, we had a younger team and while we didn't want to brag - we just wanted to say that the Scottish Cup was in the bag, Pat Stanton watched Hibernian win the Scottish Cup, nothing else mattered, we lived redemption and joy, as the Cup was lifted it was "At last, at last, at last", like Japanese soldiers in the jungle there were Hibees out celebrating long long after it was all over, everyone one of us always remembered exactly where we were when Hibernian won the Cup, we did finally win it and when we did we earned it the hard way - clean and fair, it was the greatest game in history and up in heaven they were giein the ba' tae Reilly.

It really was Glory Glory to the Hibees.

I don't think a film script could match the story. Over 100 years of waiting, relegated, the butt of jokes for every other club in the country, failing to get promotion while our city rivals won the league, getting to the final the hard way and beating Hearts on the way and the media expectation that we were turning up for the coronation of The Rangers on their return to the top league. Then a game where we take the lead, lose it and fall behind to set the stage for our inevitable collapse. Only to draw level and then the Hibernian Captain - the Captain for God's sake - scores two minutes into added time, at our end of the ground, to finally win the cup.

The Silence of the Yams is testament to the strength and depth of its impact. It will never be surpassed.

SouthMoroccoStu
17-02-2017, 09:10 PM
It's almost bittersweet to know I'll never experience another day like 21st May in my life.

But minus the last 5 minutes wasn't a brilliant game

I have a client who is a Man U season ticket holder / he enjoyed our game on the 21st May over his team Winning the fa cup over palace on the same afternoon. He has no connection to hibs other than football chat.

He said "both Rangers and hibs went out to win, palace and Utd went out not to lose."

We might not be the biggest or best club in the world but heck that final had something special even for the neautial

hibby6270
17-02-2017, 09:19 PM

Grown men cried for weeks, Gray, 92 became a magic number, Logan, 100 years of pain were washed away, Hanlon, a club was reborn, Fontaine, ordinary men became heroes, Fyvie, there really was Sunshine on Leith, McGeouch, Hibee families had the best parties of their lives, Stevenson, Angels Up Above were remembered and toasted, McGinn, 150,000 Hibernian supporters turned Leith Walk and Leith Links into a human river of green and white, McGregor, football fans all over the globe were in awe of 25,000 fans singing the best club anthem in the world, Stokes, people hugged and cuddled strangers in celebration, Cummings, political leaders of the UK and Scotland congratulated Hibernian, Gunnarrson, Kenny Miller had the class to step into the Hibernian changing room to congratulate the Hibernian players, Henderson, when the Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup we were there, Keatings, we stood for the entire game without noticing it, Stubbs, people prayed, Edinburgh saw one of the longest and most peaceful set of street parties it has ever had, 1,000,000 didn't become a magic number, #weargreen worked, it was a Time for Heroes, their defence was terrified because Stokesy was on fire, Hibee love was in the air, there was a harp back on the stand and Trainspotting 2 was being made, we Hibsed it 3-2, the emotion was indescribable, tattooists ran out of green ink, wee boys and girls went proudly into school as winners, we were on our way from misery to happiness that day, we had McGinn - super John McGinn I just don't think they understood, it was the 21st day in May of 2016, we had a younger team and while we didn't want to brag - we just wanted to say that the Scottish Cup was in the bag, Pat Stanton watched Hibernian win the Scottish Cup, nothing else mattered, we lived redemption and joy, as the Cup was lifted it was "At last, at last, at last", like Japanese soldiers in the jungle there were Hibees out celebrating long long after it was all over, everyone one of us always remembered exactly where we were when Hibernian won the Cup, we did finally win it and when we did we earned it the hard way - clean and fair, it was the greatest game in history and up in heaven they were giein the ba' tae Reilly.

I don't think a film script could match the story. Over 100 years of waiting, relegated, the butt of jokes for every other club in the country, failing to get promotion while our city rivals won the league, getting to the final the hard way and beating Hearts on the way and the media expectation that we were turning up for the coronation of The Rangers on their return to the top league. Then a game where we take the lead, lose it and fall behind to set the stage for our inevitable collapse. Only to draw level and then the Hibernian Captain - the Captain for God's sake - scores two minutes into added time, at our end of the ground, to finally win the cup.

The Silence of the Yams is testament to the strength and depth of its impact. It will never be surpassed.

:top marks
Top post. No further comment necessary.:not worth:not worth

SouthMoroccoStu
17-02-2017, 09:21 PM
More people turned up to see hibs parade the cup through Edinburgh than attended Donald Trumps Presidential inauguration....

monktonharp
17-02-2017, 09:50 PM

I have a client who is a Man U season ticket holder / he enjoyed our game on the 21st May over his team Winning the fa cup over palace on the same afternoon. He has no connection to hibs other than football chat.

He said "both Rangers and hibs went out to win, palace and Utd went out not to lose."

We might not be the biggest or best club in the world but heck that final had something special even for the neautialIt was a brilliant game. takes 2 to tango, and they thought they had it. we came on so strong, and made it a fantastic game. have even seen The Rangers fans saying likewise

monktonharp
17-02-2017, 09:52 PM
More people turned up to see hibs parade the cup through Edinburgh than attended Donald Trumps Presidential inauguration....:agree: more interesting , more emotional and more honest endeavor makes the differance:thumbsup:

Callyballybe
17-02-2017, 09:56 PM
Couldn't agree more. We essentially completed football. No reason for it to continue.

marleyhib
17-02-2017, 09:57 PM
Best game ever and will never be topped, still can't believe it. Years of heartache and disappointment made it all the sweeter.

Callyballybe
17-02-2017, 10:03 PM

What a post. "Silence of the Yams" is an absolute belter. I feel like this should be in a song somehow and we should sing it to them, all the time. For a very long time.

Northernhibee
17-02-2017, 10:26 PM
It might be controversial but I'm going to say that 22nd of May was even sweeter than 21st May. Waking up with a sore throat and a sore head, the feeling of it beginning to sink in, watching all the highlights on iPlayer and Hibs TV, all the videos on YouTube, the bus parade. I was exhausted by the end of 21st May, the 22nd of May was so utterly joyous.

I'd give anything to relive that weekend again.

lord bunberry
17-02-2017, 10:31 PM

Why would any hibs fan say this? Hibs victory in the cup last year is the best story in Scottish football in my lifetime. Your dour attitude is becoming tiring.

stantonhibby
17-02-2017, 10:32 PM

Whatever

lord bunberry
17-02-2017, 10:33 PM
It might be controversial but I'm going to say that 22nd of May was even sweeter than 21st May. Waking up with a sore throat and a sore head, the feeling of it beginning to sink in, watching all the highlights on iPlayer and Hibs TV, all the videos on YouTube, the bus parade. I was exhausted by the end of 21st May, the 22nd of May was so utterly joyous.

I totally agree. The Sunday was an utterly joyous day that will never ever be topped.

surreyhibbie
17-02-2017, 10:41 PM

The best weekend of my life. It will never be repeated. I still get a buzz when I think of it, and always will..

lugz
17-02-2017, 10:43 PM

The 22nd was great, I woke up at 7am with the best hangover ever. I cracked open a beer and watched a replay of the match in I player then continued to drink throughout the day. Getting to see the open top bus with my whole family is something I'll always hold on to.

SteveHFC
17-02-2017, 10:44 PM
The best weekend of my life. It will never be repeated. I still get a buzz when I think of it, and always will..
:agree:

Ronster117
18-02-2017, 03:11 AM

This has to be without doubt the best read ive had on here for a long time.... well done sir...:flag:

TObeachesHibby
18-02-2017, 03:48 AM
yes ... and to think some people on this website were willing to give up a cup win for promotion through the playoffs......:confused:
Watch the game , take a look at the pics/photos on your wall (I've a couple of beauties0 and feel that good inside.. It ain't going away.:greengrin
there is always this year for promotion ..
enjoy :thumbsup:

Pete
18-02-2017, 06:13 AM
Aye.

In all seriousness though, even when removing the green-tinted specs I can't think of a 'better' cup win than ours.

The whole narrative: the fact that we hadn't won it in 114 years; we are (whether we like it or not) a championship club who had beaten a host of SPL teams on the run-up to the final; heads were down after we had lost the LC final and eliminated as promotion prospects, and while there was still cautious optimism for the SC, another failure would not have come as a shock, and would have epitomised the entire season; going in as underdogs vs a relatively strong Hun side etc. For us to win it last season was actually pretty absurd.

There will not be another victory in Scottish football that comes close to rivalling the 21st of May. The sheer emotion at the final whistle will never be matched. How could it be? Even if we were to win the SPL it wouldn't come close to matching the 21st of May.

I challenge someone to be objective and come up with a cup win in Scottish football that is even close to as meaningful as ours.

:agree: Yes. You've nailed it.

All very significant wins with tales behind them (uniteds previous bad luck and Maxwells broken ribs). I'd even chuck Hearts in 1998 into that category.

Ours can't be topped though.

franks
18-02-2017, 09:22 AM
yes ... and to think some people on this website were willing to give up a cup win for promotion through the playoffs......:confused:
Watch the game , take a look at the pics/photos on your wall (I've a couple of beauties0 and feel that good inside.. It ain't going away.:greengrin
there is always this year for promotion ..
enjoy :thumbsup:

Before The Final I was one who would have preferred promotion. Having experienced the best weekend of my life how wrong could I be. The only down side (and it's not much of a down side) is I doubt I will ever experience a better weekend again.

MWHIBBIES
18-02-2017, 11:48 AM
In terms of drama I can only think of Aguero Vs QPR in the final day and Liverpool beating AC Milan as being so dramatic.Michael Thomas at Anfield was much more dramatic than Aguero for City.

That was only dramatic because City made an arse of it vs 10 men, Arsenal had to win 2-0 vs Liverpool to take the title from them.

Certainly from a Hibs perspective nothing will ever come close to our win but I'm sure many other fans will think similar our dramatic moments in their clubs history.

jgl07
18-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Beating a top four Championship team away, followed by coming back from the dead at a top three Premiership team away from home at win the replay was a good start. Then beating the holders away in a replay and eliminating another Premiership side on penalties before beating the Rangers with two late goals ending a 114 year old drought.

OK Hibs avoided Celtic and Aberdeen (but had already beaten the latter in the League Cup). Could it have got much better?

If that had been written as a story or the script for a film, people would have said it was too implausible.

calumhibee1
18-02-2017, 01:20 PM

We might not be the biggest or best club in the world but heck that final had something special even for the neautial

Not the biggest, correct. We are however, to everyone that follows Hibernian, without a doubt the best club in the world.

NAE NOOKIE
18-02-2017, 01:55 PM
Beating a top four Championship team away, followed by coming back from the dead at a top three Premiership team away from home at win the replay was a good start. Then beating the holders away in a replay and eliminating another Premiership side on penalties before beating the Rangers with two late goals ending a 114 year old drought.

OK Hibs avoided Celtic and Aberdeen (but had already beaten the latter in the League Cup). Could it have got much better?

If that had been written as a story or the script for a film, people would have said it was too implausible.

I think that's one of the really good things ... nobody can turn round and say we had an easy road to winning it. Our first game was away from home to a team in the same league as us who had only lost one of their previous 6 games. Our second was away to premier league Hertz, nuff said. Our third was home to another premier team, not to mention the cup holders and we won the replay after a huge disappointment only days before. The semi was against another premier league team and the final was against the team that had strolled our league.

Was it the best win ever? If you are a Hibby then without doubt and it was probably one of the best post war finals for drama if you are a neutral .... though Motherwell v Dundee Utd was probably a match for it, definitely the best Scottish Cup final I had ever seen up to that point.

cleanyman
18-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Why would any hibs fan say this? Hibs victory in the cup last year is the best story in Scottish football in my lifetime. Your dour attitude is becoming tiring.

Wit?

The discussion is was it the best win ever.

To me, yes.

But bias aside, I don't think it was. DU takes it for me.

Onion
18-02-2017, 03:20 PM

Quod Erat Demonstrandum :thumbsup:

jacomo
18-02-2017, 03:25 PM
Without checking, I'm happy to confirm that our win is indeed, The Best Win Ever.

The Scottish Cup simply isn't the same anymore.

The oldest cup competition in the world, witness to one of the longest and most notable hoodoos in sport, ended by the most dramatic run in history (with help from a fat keeper and an enigmatic bad boy up front).

Nothing will ever top 21.05.16!

.Sean.
18-02-2017, 03:56 PM
I think it'll be even more spectacular when we retain the trophy in May.

It's just what Hibs'll will do, wait over a century for one then win two on the bounce. No idea why but I've a strange feeling that we'll win it again this season and I've thought about it for months.

:flag:

Bay Area Hibees
18-02-2017, 05:12 PM
Couldn't agree more. We essentially completed football. No reason for it to continue.

Ha love it

houstonhibbee
18-02-2017, 06:51 PM
More people turned up to see hibs parade the cup through Edinburgh than attended Donald Trumps Presidential inauguration....
no competition really:greengrin

One Day Soon
18-02-2017, 07:23 PM
I think it'll be even more spectacular when we retain the trophy in May.

It's just what Hibs'll will do, wait over a century for one then win two on the bounce. No idea why but I've a strange feeling that we'll win it again this season and I've thought about it for months.

:flag:

Funny that, I've been thinking exactly the same thing...

lord bunberry
18-02-2017, 07:27 PM
Wit?

The discussion is was it the best win ever.

To me, yes.

But bias aside, I don't think it was. DU takes it for me.
In what way? Hibs win had everything. It wouldn't surprise me to see a film made about it as it's such a great story.

Speedy
18-02-2017, 07:42 PM
My immediate thought it I don't really care.

You could argue our win is no bigger than the previous two years (ICT having been formed and climbed from the bottom in 20 odd years - almost like a Gretna without the implosion.). You'll never get a definitive answer though.

Northernhibee
18-02-2017, 07:46 PM
The thing that makes it special is that there are so many little stories within it that could be a movie plot all in themselves.

After suffering two major injuries in his career, McGregor signs for Rangers, gets released by them, joins his boyhood heroes and helps them end one of the longest running hoodoos in sporting history against the team that released him.

Conrad Logan suffers a career threatening injury and finds himself out of contract and unable to play for a club. Almost as soon as he returns training he gets a phone call from a Scottish team offering a short term contract. He makes his first appearance in over a year in a semi final of a major cup. He has an incredible performance, saves two penalties and helps his team end the hoodoo in the cup.

Lewis Stevenson - hard working lad, a bit quiet and reserved, ends up as the first player in his only club's history to win both major trophies after years of disappointment.

Alan Stubbs, Taff Holden and John Doolan take their first first team managerial job at a club in crisis with only 8(?) first team players after relegation. They overcome adversity, the loss of Doolan's father days before and end the cup run.

Hibernian overcome the adversity of losing the league cup final and promotion play-offs via last minute goals to beat their rivals in the final via a last minute goal of their own. 150,000 Hibs fans line the streets of Leith to give them a heroes welcome.

There are literally so many stories that could be a movie in themselves. If you wrote it it'd be an Oscar winner.

Liberal Hibby
19-02-2017, 01:59 AM
Of course the 2016 Scottish Cup is the greatest tournament ever. The winners broke a 114 year hoodoo, becoming only the second lower tier team (in 15th place) to lift the oldest football trophy in the world. On the way that team defeated only one team lower in the league structure than them and played seven games (including one that went to extra time and penalties) so 11 hours of football (and 4mins!).

The other team from a lower tier to win was East Fife in 1938. They finished 6th in Division 2 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1937%E2%80%9338_in_Scottish_football)(26th place overall). According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1937%E2%80%9338_Scottish_Cup) they beat Raith Rovers, St Bernards and Kilmarnock to win the cup. However that only covers from the fourth round and they surely would have played in earlier rounds. But they took two games to beat Raith Rovers, three to beat St Bernards and two to beat Kilmarnock (seven games in total). All of whom finished above them in the league. However Killie finished 18th in Division 1 (eight places above East Fife), Raith Rovers won D2 (and got relegated back the following year) and St Bernards 4th in D2 - two places and two points - above East Fife in sixth.

So whether Hibs's path as a lower league team to the cup was more difficult than East Fife's is obviously debatable - but we probably beat much higher ranked teams than East Fife did (although we didn't have to play replays to the end). But East Fife played in front of more people than we did.

But it is clear - almost by definition - that any team from a lower division that wins a national cup will have to beat a majority of team higher in the league than them.