PDA

View Full Version : 2018 World Cup

yonder1875
17-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Watched a programme on BBC2 last night called 'Russia's Hooligan Army'.A very eye-opneing insight as to what the tournament is going to be like In Russia next year. I'm sure one of the quotes from a Russian hooligan was "This will not be a festival of football - it will be a festival of violence."

Just how did they end up getting the World Cup next year and how has it not been seriously reconsidered after the scenes at the Euro's last year? God help any England fans planning on making the trip - as they seem to be target number one.

CorrieHibs
17-02-2017, 01:11 PM
Its disgraceful how they have got the WC. Wonder how much FIFA made in corruption money?

I was at the Euros and spoke to a lot of England fans who were just normal guys supporting their country. They said that England are always a target due to their violent history. England still have a lot of trouble makers, however as I said the Russian fans were targeting anybody with an England top on.

Think you would have to have a death wish to go over there.

Haymaker
17-02-2017, 01:14 PM
My mates do England away trips, just regular lads who love football. They are giving this a wide berth, first tournament they will have missed since Euro 2008. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
17-02-2017, 01:20 PM
My mates do England away trips, just regular lads who love football. They are giving this a wide berth, first tournament they will have missed since Euro 2008. :greengrin

A mate of mine lives in Montpellier. Him and his mate (English) took the train to Marseille for the England v Russia game.

He said a few of the English fans on the train where acting the ****. Verbally absuing women and bairns, trying to pick fights with random strangers, bullying staff on the train and so on. It was all just a bit embarrassing. Said he's never seen a mood change as quickly as when they were confronted by the Russian crews a couple of hours later. Big Barry from Barnsley and wee Kev from Kettering suddenly became shrinking violets when they saw how organised and ruthless they were.

It will be brave guys who head to the next WC. These Russian groups aren't your usual pissed up 'lads' or old school boys on a weekend break. They are properly organised and trained.

FC Leige
17-02-2017, 01:25 PM
A mate of mine lives in Montpellier. Him and his mate (English) took the train to Marseille for the England v Russia game.

He said a few of the English fans on the train where acting the ****. Verbally absuing women and bairns, trying to pick fights with random strangers, bullying staff on the train and so on. It was all just a bit embarrassing. Said he's never seen a mood change as quickly as when they were confronted by the Russian crews a couple of hours later. Big Barry from Barnsley and wee Kev from Kettering suddenly became shrinking violets when they saw how organised and ruthless they were.

It will be brave guys who head to the next WC. These Russian groups aren't your usual pissed up 'lads' or old school boys on a weekend break. They are properly organised and trained. Stone Island Simon from Slough will be there. He is proper nawlty

Is It On....
17-02-2017, 01:26 PM
Its disgraceful how they have got the WC. Wonder how much FIFA made in corruption money?

I was at the Euros and spoke to a lot of England fans who were just normal guys supporting their country. They said that England are always a target due to their violent history. England still have a lot of trouble makers, however as I said the Russian fans were targeting anybody with an England top on.

Think you would have to have a death wish to go over there.

Absolutely brutal programme. As someone else said, tjis was properly organised, trained guys out to really hurt people and wasn't the "recreational" football violence of some nutters a bit p#ssed up. Blatter and his pals will have done ok but no way would I be going even if Scotland were in it.

NAE NOOKIE
17-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Truly scary documentary. These guys aren't your usual neds looking to get into a punch up, their level of violence and dedication to it is way beyond that and the whole tone of their reasoning was based on some sort of pseudo nationalistic outlook. They are going to show that Russia is back and the way they are going to do it is by battering to death anybody who turns up to support their team at the world cup .... with England and I've no doubt Germany being their main targets.

In football terms I don't agree with folk who say Russia shouldn't have been awarded the world cup .... the country has a long and proud football tradition and from that point of view is as deserving as any. Even from a political point of view arguments against them are pretty ropey ........ FIFA have given the tournament to countries with just as bad, if not worse, human rights records Argentina being a case in point, as we were all tuning in to watch Scotland the right wing regime was chucking dissidents out of planes over the Atlantic.

There is no proof whatsoever that hosting a world cup has any long term benefits to the country holding it .... countries like Brazil and South Africa with crushing social and financial problems and a huge majority of their citizens living in poverty have spent billions putting the tournament on, billions that could have been spent a hell of a lot more wisely ..... it says everything when thousands of people in what is supposed to be the most football mad country on earth protested on the streets against hosting it.

In short, making political or social cases against FIFA awarding the tournament to a particular country is a waste of time, they will always follow the money as awarding the tournament to Qatar clearly shows.

The Russian authorities are if anything aware that their name is already mud amongst most countries of the world ... the last thing they will want to see happen is visitors to the country being hospitalised by a bunch of thugs, even if that's rival thugs. I think I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that the folk in that documentary and those like them will find themselves in a nice wee government holiday camp for about 3 months in the summer of 2018 and any of them who slip through the net and try to cause trouble will be made to realise pretty quickly that it aint worth it.

ANDY McGEECHAN
17-02-2017, 02:30 PM
Need to see this, which channel ?

Ryan69
17-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Watched a programme on BBC2 last night called 'Russia's Hooligan Army'.A very eye-opneing insight as to what the tournament is going to be like In Russia next year. I'm sure one of the quotes from a Russian hooligan was "This will not be a festival of football - it will be a festival of violence."

Just how did they end up getting the World Cup next year and how has it not been seriously reconsidered after the scenes at the Euro's last year? God help any England fans planning on making the trip - as they seem to be target number one.

Looks like the next 2 world cups will kill FIFAS respect....The little they have left anyway.

Qatar......and no drinking in the 50c heat 2022 also :aok:

Oscar T Grouch
17-02-2017, 02:36 PM
Need to see this, which channel ?

Bbc2 it should be on the iplayer
Edit link below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08flw2v/russias-hooligan-army

ANDY McGEECHAN
17-02-2017, 03:35 PM
Bbc2 it should be on the iplayer
Edit link below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08flw2v/russias-hooligan-army

Thanks will watch tonight.

Haymaker
17-02-2017, 04:46 PM

It will be brave guys who head to the next WC. These Russian groups aren't your usual pissed up 'lads' or old school boys on a weekend break. They are properly organised and trained.

Sure there were a lot of ****ers there. My mates are decent lads though.

beensaidbefore
17-02-2017, 04:48 PM

My heart bleeds for them. How wi they manage now that they are not the bullies. Karma.

yonder1875
17-02-2017, 05:26 PM
My heart bleeds for them. How wi they manage now that they are not the bullies. Karma.

Don't get me wrong, I personally feel England fans at tournaments over the years have been an embarrassment (not all, there is some genuine football fans that go to have a great time) - however what this programme showed is these Russians aren't just there to have a drunken brawl, trash a bar or so, they are there to really hurt people. There was an English fan being interviewed who was there and he said it didn't feel like the Russians were just trying to hurt us, it felt as if they genuinely wanted to kill us.

I don't think it's karma when you feel your life could be threatened.

green&left
17-02-2017, 05:59 PM
Was it not meant to the same in Ukraine and Poland a few years back? Phanny's like Sol Campbell coming out with England should pull out as they can't gurantee a black players safety etc (Oxlade Chamberlain i think). Bar the odd **** giving out a monkey gesture and the odd scrap which would be expected at any football tournie it passed off alright I think.

England also need to stop their "hardman" act. If your a Russian hool itching on a scrap and you've seen the last two nights news with English fighting Marseilles Ultras and local Algerians in separate incidents, then more scenes of rioting with the polis whilel giving it the English nationalist pish of rule Britannia and German bombers song, you're unfortunately going to be seen as fair game.

Havn't seen the progamme yet but i don't think it will be as bad as people are making out. I'd be more worried if i was Ukrainian than English should they make it!