PDA

View Full Version : Myth-busting? #62 the board never backs the manager

Viva_Palmeiras
16-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Levelled at the board and to be fair to Scott Lindsay after that final that shall. It be named he faced the music with the beginnings of LWT.

So he claimed that the board had backed managers whilst building up the infrastructure so what do you reckon?

Off top of my head...

JC
- Benji & Zuma
- Killen

Yogi
- Stokes (hokey-cokey)
- Liam Miller

Mixu
- JJ

Fenlon
- rrse

SChibs
16-02-2017, 10:39 PM
Levelled at the board and to be fair to Scott Lindsay after that final that shall. It be named he faced the music with the beginnings of LWT.

So he claimed that the board had backed managers whilst building up the infrastructure so what do you reckon?

Off top of my head...

JC
- Benji & Zuma
- Killen

Yogi
- Stokes (hokey-cokey)
- Liam Miller

Mixu
- JJ

Fenlon
- rrse

I don't think Collins signed any of them. Reckon they were all mowbray signings

HFCdeb
16-02-2017, 10:46 PM

They were.

jacomo
16-02-2017, 10:55 PM
At least Lindsay realised he got it wrong and left. The club was a shambles back then.

ian cruise
16-02-2017, 11:05 PM

They were but Collins was backed and signed a fair few players, unfortunately none turned out to be particularly outstanding. He then wanted the board to sign Hammill after he'd spent the allocated budget and was none to pleased when the request was knocked back if I recall.

The Modfather
16-02-2017, 11:11 PM

Off top of my head...

JC
- Benji & Zuma
- Killen

Yogi
- Stokes (hokey-cokey)
- Liam Miller

Mixu
- JJ

Fenlon
- rrse

How do you quantify backing? There were always murmurs that it wasn't the budget that was the problem but how managers were allowed to spend it. Effectively they weren't able to spend on quality over quantity due to an alleged wage ceiling.

Was also interesting listening to Carragher talking about the Leicester players the other week, and the rumours of their revolt. He didn't think there were any circumstances where a group of players should be able to go to chairman behind the managers back.

The Modfather
16-02-2017, 11:13 PM
At least Lindsay realised he got it wrong and left. The club was a shambles back then.

Shame Petrie didn't have the integrity to do the same.

HoboHarry
17-02-2017, 04:44 AM
Shame Petrie didn't have the integrity to do the same.
:yawn:

Broken Gnome
17-02-2017, 05:29 AM
They were but Collins was backed and signed a fair few players, unfortunately none turned out to be particularly outstanding. He then wanted the board to sign Hammill after he'd spent the allocated budget and was none to pleased when the request was knocked back if I recall.

Was it not Hammell, Naismith, Jamie Smith and one other on some sort of wishlist he had? Can't remember the 4th name, but at least we had a very very very credible and realistic 850k bid to get Naismith, allegedly.

ian cruise
17-02-2017, 08:01 AM
Was it not Hammell, Naismith, Jamie Smith and one other on some sort of wishlist he had? Can't remember the 4th name, but at least we had a very very very credible and realistic 850k bid to get Naismith, allegedly.

Aye that rings a bell, think you're right about the Naismith bid being made but it wasn't accepted or Rangers came in with a higher bid. Sure Hammill was after that though as I seem to remember thinking it was weird claiming he wasn't being backed when they bid that for Naismith.

Ozyhibby
17-02-2017, 08:12 AM
Not signing Adam Rooney for whatever reason was probably the worst mistake of all.
Who knows how it may have changed things but I'm sure he could have got one goal in any of those many games that winning would have kept us up in.
He now has over 50 goals for Aberdeen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diclonius
17-02-2017, 08:48 AM
After Collins' summer spending spree, we didn't adequately back the manager until we were relegated and Dempster took charge.

marinello59
17-02-2017, 08:56 AM
After Collins' summer spending spree, we didn't adequately back the manager until we were relegated and Dempster took charge.

That's not really true. We had several managers who, instead of buying two or three quality players squandered their budget on far too many cheaper but inadequate signings. It infected the whole club with a sense of mediocrity.
If anything the board were guilty of backing our managers long after their time was up. Take Petrie's backing of Calderwood for instance, it was naive at best, pigheaded and stubborn at worst.
The exception for me was Mixu who I still believe was worth sticking with, he just arrived at us possibly a year two early in his career.

Peevemor
17-02-2017, 09:12 AM
That's not really true. We had several managers who, instead of buying two or three quality players squandered their budget on far too many cheaper but inadequate signings. It infected the whole club with a sense of mediocrity.
If anything the board were guilty of backing our managers long after their time was up. Take Petrie's backing of Calderwood for instance, it was naive at best, pigheaded and stubborn at worst.
The exception for me was Mixu who I still believe was worth sticking with, he just arrived at us possibly a year two early in his career.

Mixu wasn't sacked though. He left by mutual consent following the abuse he got from the fans.

marinello59
17-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Mixu wasn't sacked though. He left by mutual consent following the abuse he got from the fans.

They all leave through mutual consent.

pacoluna
17-02-2017, 09:20 AM
Not signing Adam Rooney for whatever reason was probably the worst mistake of all.
Who knows how it may have changed things but I'm sure he could have got one goal in any of those many games that winning would have kept us up in.

Was The Griffiths for £1mil just a rumour? if not that was the biggest mistake of the lot.

KWJ
17-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Thing with the Naismith bid was , should it have been accepted, what sort of wages were we going to offer?

Surely it was a non starter really when he must've been on about 8k+ at Rangers even without a EBT.

FC Leige
17-02-2017, 09:28 AM
I remember Douglas Cromb used to constantly back Alex Miller. Unfortunately he actually meant it

woodythehibee
17-02-2017, 09:29 AM
We spent big money (in terms of Scottish football) on Makalambay, Alan O'Brien & James Collins. Presumably also spent money on guys like Heffernan as well as good wages too. De Graaf would have have been on decent money too.

Ozyhibby
17-02-2017, 09:36 AM
I don't think the level of our spend was the problem.
The problem was the structure of the club and the poor scouting of players. We have got better at that and we also make the best use of our assets by making our players the fittest they can be.
I'm worried about the quality of this seasons signings but overall they have been better since Leeann and George Craig came in. We have had a far smaller turnover of player since then and the stability has been a lot better.

Bostonhibby
17-02-2017, 09:45 AM
I remember Douglas Cromb used to constantly back Alex Miller. Unfortunately he actually meant it
That would be Alex Miller who managed us through one of the worst periods off the pitch in our history and against the odds won one of our relatively few modern day trophies by knocking out the now defunct Glasgow rangers in the semi.

I watched a lot of miller's Hibs and it wasn't always pretty but he also made some signings the quality of which we wouldn't say no to now.

He was a far better manager than some of the dross who got us to where we are today and in my opinion deserves more respect than he sometimes gets. He continues to respect Hibs. Achieved more than most as well.

Ozyhibby
17-02-2017, 10:02 AM
That would be Alex Miller who managed us through one of the worst periods off the pitch in our history and against the odds won one of our relatively few modern day trophies by knocking out the now defunct Glasgow rangers in the semi.

I watched a lot of miller's Hibs and it wasn't always pretty but he also made some signings the quality of which we wouldn't say no to now.

He was a far better manager than some of the dross who got us to where we are today and in my opinion deserves more respect than he sometimes gets. He continues to respect Hibs. Achieved more than most as well.

Alex Millers record as Hibs manager was
9th
6th
5th
7th
9th
5th
7th
5th
3rd
5th

Hardly a success.

Peevemor
17-02-2017, 10:10 AM
9th
6th
5th
7th
9th
5th
7th
5th
3rd
5th

Hardly a success.

I'm not at all nostalgic for the Miller era (although some parts were pretty good), but it should be remembered that at the time Aberdeen & Dundee Utd., "the new firm", had good players/teams, Hearts under Mercer were already overspending and then there was always the OF. Meanwhile we had Duff/Gray then administration, etc. Even breaking into the top 5 wasn't bad.

Bostonhibby
17-02-2017, 10:12 AM
9th
6th
5th
7th
9th
5th
7th
5th
3rd
5th

Hardly a success.

Where did I say he was a success?

I tend to view his spell as manager as a difficult one to manage through but it had highs and he got us through a terrible time. I don't think we should call his signing policy a disaster either given we had Murdo mcleod , Keith, and Budgie. There were bad decisions too but personally don't think we're always fair on a cup winning manager who won it with the team he put together.

Geo_1875
17-02-2017, 10:17 AM
9th
6th
5th
7th
9th
5th
7th
5th
3rd
5th

Hardly a success.

It really was a wasted decade (Skol Cup win aside).

we are hibs
17-02-2017, 10:22 AM

Fans fault again then :rolleyes:

Peevemor
17-02-2017, 10:42 AM
Fans fault again then :rolleyes:

I think in Mixu's case it was.

Pretty Boy
17-02-2017, 10:42 AM
Where did I say he was a success?

I tend to view his spell as manager as a difficult one to manage through but it had highs and he got us through a terrible time. I don't think we should call his signing policy a disaster either given we had Murdo mcleod , Keith, and Budgie. There were bad decisions too but personally don't think we're always fair on a cup winning manager who won it with the team he put together.

Any Hibs related events that Alex Miller has attended that I have been at has always seen him get a very good reception from the fans. Most recently when on the pitch for the Skol Cup 25th anniversary.

I think with hindsight most people can see he done a decent, if unspectacular, job in difficult circumstances. A cup win, another final and a couple of SC seni finals wasn't that bad all things considered.

Pretty Boy
17-02-2017, 10:53 AM

Was it not more the case that ST sales were an absolute disaster?

I'll pretty much buy a ST to watch any Hibs team but I can't blame anyone who was wary about stumping up cash to watch Mixus brand of football. Let's be honest Mixus managerial has been a mixed bag and that Hibs team was horrible to watch, and not particularly effective results wise either.

In fairness to him he did inherit a bit of a shambles from John Collins and some of the personal stuff aimed at him, the 'fat Finn' and 'Mixup' being particular low-lights, was out of order.

Peevemor
17-02-2017, 10:57 AM
Was it not more the case that ST sales were an absolute disaster?

I'll pretty much buy a ST to watch any Hibs team but I can't blame anyone who was wary about stumping up cash to watch Mixus brand of football. Let's be honest Mixus managerial has been a mixed bag and that Hibs team was horrible to watch, and not particularly effective results wise either.

In fairness to him he did inherit a bit of a shambles from John Collins and some of the personal stuff aimed at him, the 'fat Finn' and 'Mixup' being particular low-lights, was out of order.

I agree with all of that, but a while later when Mixu was doing relatively well, there were plenty of people giving Petrie stick for emptying him, even though his parting really was 'mutual'.

ian cruise
17-02-2017, 11:21 AM

Felt that would cost us at the time and it definitely did. I suppose you have to query whether Jason would have emerged as he has if we'd got Rooney. It's impossible to know. A bit like would we have won the cup if we'd not been relegated, as the assumption would be we wouldn't have replaced Butcher when we did (shudders at the thought!)

hibby6270
17-02-2017, 11:49 AM
It's strange when you compare, what many on here class Alex Miller's 10 years league positions as mediocre against where we are currently. I would quite gladly swap the last 3 years (and possibly go further back) for mid table finishes in the top league, as long as the Cup win was part of it. Anyone who reckons our current position is better than competing in the Premiership is clearly not thinking straight.

Our only recent success or turnaround (Cup win again being the exception) is that attendances have reached a high compared to last 20 years or so but that can be attributed to the Cup win feel good factor, coupled with the fact we win more games nowadays against so called inferior opposition.

You really do have to be realistic as a Hibs fan on what your expectations are in terms of success. We should be consistently be finishing top 6 every season. Pushing for 2nd or 3rd is always achievable. Anything else is a bonus.

This may just be 50+ years of supporting Hibs talking but I have come to accept that supporting Hibs means highs and lows will part and parcel of what we see. Of course, it does tend to make the highs even more enjoyable and the lows still hurt.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see consistent success but I'm a Hibby and I'm realistic. Alex Miller wasn't really all that bad. He didn't get us relegated. Nor did he get us close to it.

Ozyhibby
17-02-2017, 01:57 PM
It's strange when you compare, what many on here class Alex Miller's 10 years league positions as mediocre against where we are currently. I would quite gladly swap the last 3 years (and possibly go further back) for mid table finishes in the top league, as long as the Cup win was part of it. Anyone who reckons our current position is better than competing in the Premiership is clearly not thinking straight.

Our only recent success or turnaround (Cup win again being the exception) is that attendances have reached a high compared to last 20 years or so but that can be attributed to the Cup win feel good factor, coupled with the fact we win more games nowadays against so called inferior opposition.

You really do have to be realistic as a Hibs fan on what your expectations are in terms of success. We should be consistently be finishing top 6 every season. Pushing for 2nd or 3rd is always achievable. Anything else is a bonus.

This may just be 50+ years of supporting Hibs talking but I have come to accept that supporting Hibs means highs and lows will part and parcel of what we see. Of course, it does tend to make the highs even more enjoyable and the lows still hurt.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see consistent success but I'm a Hibby and I'm realistic. Alex Miller wasn't really all that bad. He didn't get us relegated. Nor did he get us close to it.

We are the 4th biggest club in Scotland. Everytime we finish outside the top 4 it's underperforming. Miller managed to finish once in the top 4 in ten years.