PDA

View Full Version : 15k bonus per man for a cup win.

greenlex
14-02-2017, 09:55 PM
No not this season. Derek Ferguson on Sportsound tonight saying that's what Hearts were paying all those years ago when they were beaten by Airdrie in 1990/91. Mental. Just shows how far back the overspending went.

Hibernia&Alba
14-02-2017, 09:58 PM
In 1991? And where was that money coming from?

Bostonhibby
14-02-2017, 10:00 PM
In those days it was Bank of Scotland. Same people who were funding a big chunk of mercers takeover plans.

High-On-Hibs
14-02-2017, 10:01 PM

The same magic pot of gold the huns were digging into.

Hibernia&Alba
14-02-2017, 10:02 PM
In those days it was Bank of Scotland. Same people who were funding a big chunk of mercers takeover plans.

So was it all on tick?

Bostonhibby
14-02-2017, 10:10 PM
So was it all on tick?
It was being "underwritten" by an assortment of lenders I believe, it's the yams way.

Apparently a couple of the bigger lenders underestimated the reaction from Hibs fans.

There was talk about accounts being closed as well as a more direct campaign against the lenders.

I personally think a factor was that once STF became actively involved the risks and cost to mercer became too great and the banks were by then less keen on throwing money at his plan than they had been.

HibernianJK
14-02-2017, 10:36 PM
Was this for winning a game or winning the tournament?

greenlex
14-02-2017, 10:41 PM
Was this for winning a game or winning the tournament?

The game!!

hibees 7062
14-02-2017, 11:00 PM
It was being "underwritten" by an assortment of lenders I believe, it's the yams way.

Apparently a couple of the bigger lenders underestimated the reaction from Hibs fans.

There was talk about accounts being closed as well as a more direct campaign against the lenders.

I personally think a factor was that once STF became actively involved the risks and cost to mercer became too great and the banks were by then less keen on throwing money at his plan than they had been.

STF's account was the main one

JackLadd
14-02-2017, 11:45 PM
The same establishment old school blazers who threw £1bn at Murray without any accountability or sanction. Scotland, great wee tinpot country.

NAE NOOKIE
15-02-2017, 12:24 AM
The same establishment old school blazers who threw £1bn at Murray without any accountability or sanction. Scotland, great wee tinpot country.

What .... you think Scotland is the only country where that stuff goes on?

JimboHibs
15-02-2017, 01:04 AM
No not this season. Derek Ferguson on Sportsound tonight saying that's what Hearts were paying all those years ago when they were beaten by Airdrie in 1990/91. Mental. Just shows how far back the overspending went.

Wasn't just the charity thieves,Dundee,Motherwell also.

JackLadd
15-02-2017, 01:36 AM
What .... you think Scotland is the only country where that stuff goes on?

I'd say we're one of the worst. All these old school blazer cowboy cavalier banks were bailed out by Westminster, remember. RBS is still making big losses and so would BOS without the Lloyds umbrella. We'd have been in hock for life to the IMF under any i arrangement and all ordinary depositors would have been rogered outside the FSCS. Meanwhile Murray and the blazers who funded him sit in their Murrayfield mansions and Hertz bonus recipients sip their fine wines. I'm alright Jack.

green day
15-02-2017, 06:23 AM
I'd say we're one of the worst. All these old school blazer cowboy cavalier banks were bailed out by Westminster, remember. RBS is still making big losses and so would BOS without the Lloyds umbrella. We'd have been in hock for life to the IMF under any i arrangement and all ordinary depositors would have been rogered outside the FSCS. Meanwhile Murray and the blazers who funded him sit in their Murrayfield mansions and Hertz bonus recipients sip their fine wines. I'm alright Jack.

A bit of a one dimensional response, especially on the independence bit.

Had we been Independent, those banks would not have been able to make such enormous gambles as they would have been part of a much smaller, Scottish financial universe.

Let's also not forget that the huge gambles took place in their investment banking divisions, largely based in London. The people working there couldn't give two hoots about Scotland, as long as they got the big bucks.

Finally, the banks were indeed bailed out by the UK government, rightly so as they (and all the other bailed out banks based in London) are part of the UK - whos exchequer also benefitted from the massive tax revenues in the good years.

You can't have it both ways.

CentreLine
15-02-2017, 06:55 AM

Had we been Independent, those banks would not have been able to make such enormous gambles as they would have been part of a much smaller, Scottish financial universe.

Let's also not forget that the huge gambles took place in their investment banking divisions, largely based in London. The people working there couldn't give two hoots about Scotland, as long as they got the big bucks.

Finally, the banks were indeed bailed out by the UK government, rightly so as they (and all the other bailed out banks based in London) are part of the UK - whos exchequer also benefitted from the massive tax revenues in the good years.

Well said. I find it extraordinary that there are people who think that RBS and or BOS are Scottish banks. Any more than BOE is an English bank. Internationally trading British organisations that are a U.K. Government responsibility. Same issue with the UK having to bail out Banknof Ireland. That was not a neighbourly gesture but a reflection of how deeply the UK banks were entrenched in their mess too. Iceland on the other hand just walked away leaving many U.K. Institutions exposed.

One day we may have our own bank of course.

Bostonhibby
15-02-2017, 07:29 AM

Agree with nearly all of this but let's not forget that RBS had plenty Scots in top positions who were very much part of Scottish society and without the turnover they were generating there'd have been an awful lot less jobs in Scotland and elsewhere. Tax revenues from them was in the billions. We now know the financial control was yam standard but I don't recall too many complaints at the time.

Deansy
15-02-2017, 07:34 AM
Well said. I find it extraordinary that there are people who think that RBS and or BOS are Scottish banks. Any more than BOE is an English bank. Internationally trading British organisations that are a U.K. Government responsibility. Same issue with the UK having to bail out Banknof Ireland. That was not a neighbourly gesture but a reflection of how deeply the UK banks were entrenched in their mess too. Iceland on the other hand just walked away leaving many U.K. Institutions exposed.

One day we may have our own bank of course.

At least Iceland are now jailing their 'inept' bank-bosses whilst the UK just stripped Goodwin of his knighthood - jail or lose a stupid, outdated title - what a deterrent, eh !!.

Just another reason for getting shot of Wasteminster imho !

tamig
15-02-2017, 08:11 AM
The game!!

It was a semi and I think - hard to decipher DF at times - the bonus was for them making the final. Just wanted to clarify that it wasn't an early round game as some folk may be thinking.

LustForLeith
15-02-2017, 09:45 AM
It was a semi and I think - hard to decipher DF at times - the bonus was for them making the final. Just wanted to clarify that it wasn't an early round game as some folk may be thinking.

At least it wasn't for an early round game!:greengrin

Wasn't Jaunjo on £10,000 basic when he signed from Barca?

tamig
15-02-2017, 10:49 AM
At least it wasn't for an early round game!:greengrin

Wasn't Jaunjo on £10,000 basic when he signed from Barca?

They were paying crazy money back then. A lot of people seem to think it only happened under the mad one but it had been going on for years.

High-On-Hibs
15-02-2017, 11:00 AM

The UK Government that recieved a lump sum from the US Federal Reserves in order to be in position to bail the banks out. A fact that seems to allude the Jacks of this country.

FilipinoHibs
15-02-2017, 11:07 AM

Salmond used to champion RBS and BOS before reality kicked in. Also talked about making Scotkand a Celtic Tiger like Ireland. Lucky we did not have independence then. We would have been bankrupt like Iceland who were cut off from all finance and cutting services and seeing the economy shrink 20%.

ancient hibee
15-02-2017, 11:20 AM
At least Iceland are now jailing their 'inept' bank-bosses whilst the UK just stripped Goodwin of his knighthood - jail or lose a stupid, outdated title - what a deterrent, eh !!.

Just another reason for getting shot of Wasteminster imho !

Not much room in Scottish jails if everyone who is stupid is jailed.Hope in the wonderland of independence citizens will still have to commit a crime to be put away.

KeithTheHibby
15-02-2017, 11:31 AM
We were all paying silly money back then.

Remember the 275k we payed for Brian Hamilton in 1987?

Plus I wonder how much we were paying Stevie Archibald and Murdo McLeod?

I know it's not the same as talking about what players were getting in bonuses however most clubs were paying transfer fees and inflated wages.

superfurryhibby
15-02-2017, 11:53 AM
Salmond used to champion RBS and BOS before reality kicked in. Also talked about making Scotkand a Celtic Tiger like Ireland. Lucky we did not have independence then. We would have been bankrupt like Iceland who were cut off from all finance and cutting services and seeing the economy shrink 20%.

How are Iceland doing now? A country with a 10th if our population and a fraction of our resources, yet none if the social inequality that you find here.

Just read an article today which highlighted the wealthiest 1% own more that the bottom 50% combined. People here work and work hard, yet many can never own a property in the place they grew up.

Geo_1875
15-02-2017, 11:58 AM
Did I take a wrong turn somewhere?

Hertz paid too much.

Bankers are ****ers.

Alex Salmond and Independence.

Steve Archibald???

High-On-Hibs
15-02-2017, 12:12 PM

Perhaps you can remind us all which government was controlling banking sector policy in Scotland and the rest of the UK, before it was fully deregulated under the Blair government?