PDA

View Full Version : I had lunch with Cathro.

swordin3
14-02-2017, 09:13 PM
Around four and a half years ago I met up with him in a posh golf club in Fife. He was based in Dundee and was coaching at United where he had revamped their youth academy.
I am a football coach and heard him being interviewed on radio Scotland at length regarding his new coaching methods and thoughts. I dropped him an email to say I was impressed with what he had to say and then joined his online coaching website Box Soccer Training.
I started using some of his methods in my own coaching getting good results.
After a few more emails back and forth he asked to meet up for lunch as he was looking for someone to coach his box training methods in the Edinburgh and surrounding area's.
He seemed a decent enough guy but did look very young to be in such a high coaching position.
Although I was raving about him back then saying he would defo a force in the future I never envisaged him being the a Manager this early in his career and certainly not the Hearts manager.
Thank god I didn't take up his offer or I might have been helping him to plot the Scottish cup demise of my beloved Hibees.:flag::flag::flag:

High-On-Hibs
14-02-2017, 09:17 PM
Around four and a half years ago I met up with him in a posh golf club in Fife. He was based in Dundee and was coaching at United where he had revamped their youth academy.
I am a football coach and heard him being interviewed on radio Scotland at length regarding his new coaching methods and thoughts. I dropped him an email to say I was impressed with what he had to say and then joined his online coaching website Box Soccer Training.
After a few more emails back and forth he asked to meet up for lunch as he was looking for someone to coach his box training methods in the Edinburgh and surrounding area's.
He seemed a decent enough guy but did look very young and lacked a bit of personality to be honest.
Although I was raving about him back then saying he would defo a force in the future I never envisaged him being the a Manager this early in his career and certainly not the Hearts manager.
Thank god I didn't take up his offer or I might have been helping him to plot the Scottish cup demise of my beloved Hibees.:flag::flag::flag:

In which case you really would be in for a swordin. :wink:

BoomtownHibees
14-02-2017, 09:19 PM
He seemed a decent enough guy but did look very young and lacked a bit of personality to be honest.

What toy did he get in his happy meal?

iwasthere1972
14-02-2017, 09:43 PM

O'Rourke3
14-02-2017, 09:47 PM
Did you have to sit at the Teacher's table?

High-On-Hibs
14-02-2017, 09:52 PM

http://www.dhresource.com/0x0s/f2-albu-g4-M00-6C-47-rBVaEFcmBS-AasFxAADIKFJyLSU467.jpg/new-laptop-shape-car-key-chain-ring-keychain.jpg

Bostonhibby
14-02-2017, 09:58 PM
Did he finish all his vegetables before his mum let him leave the table?

hibeeleicester
15-02-2017, 12:17 AM

So the guy who may employ you to coach his box methods lacks personality. Lacks it so much he invites you for lunch. And best of all you broadcast your opinion on a public forum.

Seems a bit harsh to me. Hearts manager or not.

JimboHibs
15-02-2017, 01:05 AM

Cool story bro.

bubblesmorrison
15-02-2017, 01:38 AM
I am glad you thought outside the box.

Bay Area Hibees
15-02-2017, 01:51 AM
I understand the open season on him and it's no big deal but personality jibe seems a bit poor.

JackLadd
15-02-2017, 03:07 AM
He might have some tactical nous but I would question his ability to motivate his players when things go astray like they will in a weeks time. If a player needs his butt kicked he ain't the man, or his Neil in a beanie sidekick.

GreenLake
15-02-2017, 06:47 AM
I met someone in the game that knows him too. Cathro seems to have impressed a lot of people. Hopefully it will be right and he will be come a force in our national game but only after recovering from a disastrous time at Hearts beginning with a really brutal hammering in the replay. :greengrin

Onceinawhile
15-02-2017, 06:53 AM
My son goes to two football sessions one is box, the other is a club.

The box sessions are light years ahead. One of my friends there is the coach and is impressed with Cathro though he's also a youth coach at hearts and a hearts fan so is likely biased.

swordin3
15-02-2017, 07:36 AM
So the guy who may employ you to coach his box methods lacks personality. Lacks it so much he invites you for lunch. And best of all you broadcast your opinion on a public forum.

Seems a bit harsh to me. Hearts manager or not.
He didn't pay for it so I feel I was not being to unkind. Ha Ha

northstandhibby
15-02-2017, 07:42 AM
He seemed a decent enough guy but did look very young to be in such a high coaching position.

What exactly was it he talked of that impressed you so very much, what methods and thinking etc?

glory glory

mjhibby
15-02-2017, 08:01 AM
My son goes to two football sessions one is box, the other is a club.

The box sessions are light years ahead. One of my friends there is the coach and is impressed with Cathro though he's also a youth coach at hearts and a hearts fan so is likely biased.

Box football is no super coaching method. Our guys did it for a few months and apart from getting fitter it taught them very little. No work done in ball skills and the kids too young to understand tactical awareness. The kids learn far more is practise and learning how to control and use the ball. As hibs showed teams easily suss out guys like cathro and we now have to find out if he can overcome better more tactically aware teams. Hertz I doubt will be able to steamroller teams of any decent calibre. Pity someone couldn't train Cathy on how to do interviews. They are painful to watch.

mjhibby
15-02-2017, 08:05 AM
Coaches can only affect a game to a certain degree. In the end it's up to the players to find the extra few percent to win games. If he was such a good coach he wouldn't be at Hertz.

superfurryhibby
15-02-2017, 08:25 AM
Coaches can only affect a game to a certain degree. In the end it's up to the players to find the extra few percent to win games. If he was such a good coach he wouldn't be at Hertz.

How will we ever find out unless he takes the helm himself? As a first appointment it's already a reflection of how well regarded he was at his other clubs, maybe more so if he lcks the charisma suggested by the original poster.

Ps: some sensitive souls on this thread. The guy met him for lunch, he wasn't discussing the size of his tadger after a steamy love session or anything. Public domain =fair game, within the boundaries of decency and libel.

swordin3
15-02-2017, 09:21 AM
In which case you really would be in for a swordin. :wink:

Hi would be indeed.

swordin3
15-02-2017, 09:28 AM
What exactly was it he talked of that impressed you so very much, what methods and thinking etc?

glory glory
The whole basis of his training is getting as many touches as possible withthe ball.Lots of quick high tempo routines involving groups, always moving .A positive way of play always looking up the pitch not back.Working on skills but in a fast progressive way.None of the getting a big burley centre to hold up everything and not turning. Strikers work on turning the defenders with flicks and speed.

Haymaker
15-02-2017, 09:39 AM
Box soccer isn't revolutionary, I was coaching these things years back.

However, he/they have packaged it and are selling it as something new and different and well done to them.

cleanyman
15-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Picture or it didnae happen

Frazerbob
15-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Is this Box Soccer thing not just the equivalent of Coerver 20 years on? We heard that was going to revolutionise Scottish football in the 1990's.

Craig_HFC
15-02-2017, 09:43 AM
'Box Soccer'

Anyone who calls football 'soccer' should be punished severely.

Bishop Hibee
15-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Is this Box Soccer thing not just the equivalent of Coerver 20 years on? We heard that was going to revolutionise Scottish football in the 1990's.

I always think of Coerver when I hear about Box Soccer too. Is Coerver coaching still on the go? I had a work colleague who used it for the primary school team he coached. They'd never won a thing then won the League and EPSA Cup double with him coaching them. Back in the 11 a side days. The VHS tapes cost him a fortune!

Greencore
15-02-2017, 11:56 AM
http://www.dhresource.com/0x0s/f2-albu-g4-M00-6C-47-rBVaEFcmBS-AasFxAADIKFJyLSU467.jpg/new-laptop-shape-car-key-chain-ring-keychain.jpg

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Haymaker
15-02-2017, 11:58 AM
I always think of Coerver when I hear about Box Soccer too. Is Coerver coaching still on the go? I had a work colleague who used it for the primary school team he coached. They'd never won a thing then won the League and EPSA Cup double with him coaching them. Back in the 11 a side days. The VHS tapes cost him a fortune!

Yeah it is still going - the courses are very good but they don't count in England (not sure about in Scotland) so they are just an added extra cost to a coach. Still a good system and helpful however like all things it needs to be used correctly.

GreenLake
15-02-2017, 02:42 PM
'Box Soccer'

Throwball fans call football soccer over here all the time. :greengrin

FC Leige
15-02-2017, 02:53 PM
Is it true his mum irons his underpants and writes his name on the back of his coats?

WoreTheGreen
15-02-2017, 03:05 PM
I bet he has got gloves with the string that goes through the sleves of his coat. Older folk ken

northstandhibby
15-02-2017, 03:58 PM
The whole basis of his training is getting as many touches as possible withthe ball.Lots of quick high tempo routines involving groups, always moving .A positive way of play always looking up the pitch not back.Working on skills but in a fast progressive way.None of the getting a big burley centre to hold up everything and not turning. Strikers work on turning the defenders with flicks and speed.

Fair doos mate.

I suspect every football coach works on fast paced passing and move which is fairly typical bread and butter football as part of a broad range of coaching skills though.

glory glory

H18 SFR
15-02-2017, 05:59 PM

I know a couple of guys who are relatively well known to Cathro having done work with (not for him) in the past.

Both are very clear, the way he consistently talks during interviews is nothing like how he communicates day-to-day, they're firmly of the view that it is a very bizarre and strange act, almost like adopting an alternative persona. What was your experience of him like?

WhileTheChief..
15-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Interesting comments about the training.

In Neil Lennon's interview with Graham Hunter he talks about this.

Strachan was watching his grandkids training. First 40 mins was without a ball.

He talked a lot about simply getting touches. Strachan would go in his garage and just bounce the ball off the walls and see how many touches he could get.

Lennon talking about Barca players doing 3 training sessions a day cause they simply loved playing with the ball. It's why he gets some of the Hibs players in the barn at EM, gives them a ball and tells them to get on with it. No instructions, just play.

Thinking back to the 70s when I was a kid, football training hardly ever involved the ball or playing a game yet that was the only thing we wanted to do. I wonder how much things have changed?

It's well worth a listen.

Ozyhibby
15-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Interesting comments about the training.

In Neil Lennon's interview with Graham Hunter he talks about this.

Strachan was watching his grandkids training. First 40 mins was without a ball.

He talked a lot about simply getting touches. Strachan would go in his garage and just bounce the ball off the walls and see how many touches he could get.

Lennon talking about Barca players doing 3 training sessions a day cause they simply loved playing with the ball. It's why he gets some of the Hibs players in the barn at EM, gives them a ball and tells them to get on with it. No instructions, just play.

Thinking back to the 70s when I was a kid, football training hardly ever involved the ball or playing a game yet that was the only thing we wanted to do. I wonder how much things have changed?

It's well worth a listen.

Kids footy training these days always involves the ball. And they always get a 1/2 hour game at the end though there are sometimes conditions placed on it. That's certainly how it is at Spartans but I think most clubs do similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenLake
15-02-2017, 08:05 PM
My coach just bolted to work for a USL team but before he left I asked him if he had heard of Cathro and he said no. I need to find a new coach and would be willing to get into a box now and then.

Haymaker
15-02-2017, 08:55 PM
Kids footy training these days always involves the ball. And they always get a 1/2 hour game at the end though there are sometimes conditions placed on it. That's certainly how it is at Spartans but I think most clubs do similar.

Does it? Because I coach youth football for a living and I see so many teams who don't touch a ball for 30 out 60 minutes.

Yet I've never met a coach who says s/he doesn't get their teams on the ball all the time.

Haymaker
15-02-2017, 08:56 PM
My coach just bolted to work for a USL team but before he left I asked him if he had heard of Cathro and he said no. I need to find a new coach and would be willing to get into a box now and then.

How much are you paying?

Ozyhibby
15-02-2017, 09:02 PM
Does it? Because I coach youth football for a living and I see so many teams who don't touch a ball for 30 out 60 minutes.

Yet I've never met a coach who says s/he doesn't get their teams on the ball all the time.

What do they do for 30mins without a ball? I only coach 10 years olds and I don't see the point in doing fitness work with them at all. We only have them 5 hours a week, why waste it with fitness work?
Most of the other coaches I've come across seem to think the same way. Not saying it doesn't happen but I've not really come across any. Most teams in the league try to play from the back and the kids rarely play it long.

mjhibby
15-02-2017, 09:30 PM
What do they do for 30mins without a ball? I only coach 10 years olds and I don't see the point in doing fitness work with them at all. We only have them 5 hours a week, why waste it with fitness work?
Most of the other coaches I've come across seem to think the same way. Not saying it doesn't happen but I've not really come across any. Most teams in the league try to play from the back and the kids rarely play it long.

It is not the pace you train the kids at that matters most its what they do before and after they get the ball. It's the movement to receive the ball and then to make space that matter. As far as I could see box football didn't specialise in defending which would account for most teams at under 12 being great on the eye going forward but easily cut open at the back. Coaching at any level should be ball control,pass and move,defending,goalkeeping practise and finishing. Unless the whole team functions correctly then you won't get consistentcy. From what I can see at Hertz Cathy has concentrated at improving them going forward but they have lost a lot of goals as they don't defend as a team as the number of goals they have lost shows. Scottish football will only improve if the level of ball skills and game awareness dramatically improves. Box football doesn't help in that respect and it's only boring old practice and repetition that will succeed. Beckham and ronaldo spent hours and hours practising free kicks. The skill level in Scottish football is the worse I've seen for forty years with guys like Dylan McGeoch the exception in Scotland. Can't see it improving for a generation unless we get the coaching at all levels sorted. Apologies for length of moan but it frustrates the hell out of me.

Smartie
15-02-2017, 09:54 PM
I had lunch with Cathro.

Is this the dodgiest claim to fame since "last night I kissed a man who kissed Rudi Skacel"?

broondog
15-02-2017, 10:06 PM

aye sound mate, course you did, just like the op had lunch with Cathro.

I had dinner with cathros caveman sidekick yesterday as well, he told me how great his methods were etc etc. and how hes going to tactically outclass us next week

Danderhall Hibs
15-02-2017, 10:16 PM

He said they were warming up and stretching.

Eyrie
15-02-2017, 10:18 PM
aye sound mate, course you did, just like the op had lunch with Cathro.

I had dinner with cathros caveman sidekick yesterday as well, he told me how great his methods were etc etc. and how hes going to tactically outclass us next week

Why would the OP invent a lunch with Cathro four years ago?

jacomo
15-02-2017, 11:24 PM
I know a couple of guys who are relatively well known to Cathro having done work with (not for him) in the past.

Both are very clear, the way he consistently talks during interviews is nothing like how he communicates day-to-day, they're firmly of the view that it is a very bizarre and strange act, almost like adopting an alternative persona. What was your experience of him like?

Being a coach is not the same thing as being a leader. There is no inconsistency in praising Cathro's coaching abilities but questioning his ability to lead a team.

Great leaders can inspire people to perform beyond the level they think they are capable of. For me, there's a disconnect between Cathro's public persona and reports on his career pre-Hearts. This won't help him inspire a dressing room.

Haymaker
15-02-2017, 11:31 PM

Doggies, laps, in-and-outs... Loads. I am doing a session on Thursday evenings while I'm in London and the team after me - U12s I'd guess - spend the first 20 minutes at least running around. And that's a youth side for a decent semi professional side.

I've coached U9s before that when I'm not there made the kids do push ups, bleep tests... All "qualified" coaches. The kids weren't "fit" enough.

Seen tons of it in my career, see it in the US too.

Never met a coach who says they do on a course though.

Haymaker
15-02-2017, 11:32 PM
He said they were warming up and stretching.

Did I?

GreenLake
16-02-2017, 12:42 AM
How much are you paying?

I paid $100 per hour and an up front retainer due to the special nature of the project. His coaching was excellent but he was humiliated when I stuffed him in a crossbar challenge.

Mr White
16-02-2017, 06:27 AM
'Box Soccer'

Throwball fans call football soccer over here all the time. :greengrin

Same in ROI where football means the gaelic type to many people.

Haymaker
16-02-2017, 09:08 AM
I paid $100 per hour and an up front retainer due to the special nature of the project. His coaching was excellent but he was humiliated when I stuffed him in a crossbar challenge.

Interesting...

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
16-02-2017, 09:55 AM
My mate was telling me about an interview with john terry on tv, and he talks about how surprised he was that conte 'ran the legs off them' in training, something that he thougjt was in the past.

Seems to be doing them no harm.

mjhibby
16-02-2017, 10:14 AM
At the top level it's a given that players can be as sharp after 120 mins as the first minute. I'm sure every club has their fitness guru who monitors all the players. A lot of it is in the mind as well showed with that pathetic showing last night. I'm sure our manager will not let team to be lacking in sharpness.

Haymaker
16-02-2017, 11:19 AM
At the top level it's a given that players can be as sharp after 120 mins as the first minute. I'm sure every club has their fitness guru who monitors all the players. A lot of it is in the mind as well showed with that pathetic showing last night. I'm sure our manager will not let team to be lacking in sharpness.

I remember a quote from Wayne Rooney (I think) who said "The higher the level you play at, the more it is in the mind. Playing for Manchester United is 90% mind, 10% skill" or words to that effect

NAE NOOKIE
16-02-2017, 12:18 PM
I don't think Cathro's age is much of an issue, Julian Nagelsmann was appointed manager of Hoffenheim last season at the age of 28 and completely transformed them from relegation candidates to the last team in Germany to lose a game this season.

You get the feeling watching the baby faced Nagelsmann that he has the ability to motivate a team, I don't get that vibe from Cathro but time will tell I suppose.

swordin3
16-02-2017, 07:46 PM
Jings some people on here are a tough crowd.

I have better claims to fame but that would be telling "broondog" :wink::wink::wink:

To be honest nobody can predict how good a coach is going to be but if the players buy into his philosophy then there is more chance he will have their full efforts in all that he does.

All I know is he seems to convince people and Clubs at the top of the game eg Newcastle to give him the opportunity to do his thing.

I certainly hope what he is doing crashes and burns at the " Pink Tattie Field " for obvious reasons:flag: but I would like to put a £20 on him getting the Scotland job in the next 15 years.

WhileTheChief..
16-02-2017, 07:54 PM
My mate was telling me about an interview with john terry on tv, and he talks about how surprised he was that conte 'ran the legs off them' in training, something that he thougjt was in the past.

Seems to be doing them no harm.

It's on BT sport.

Gerrard meets Terry or something it was called.

Both of them talking about their careers, managers, special games etc.

Yeah, Terry was explaining how different the approach is between Mourinho, Gullitt, Vialli and now Conte.

Similar from Gerrard. See if you can find it on YouTube if you've no got BT.