PDA

View Full Version : NHC The colour maroon

G B Young
13-02-2017, 09:20 PM
For some reason I was struck more than ever before when watching yesterday's game just how awful a colour this is for a football kit. In years gone by, Hearts would soften its offensiveness by breaking it up with white shorts but these days they seem determined to flaunt its full hideousness with all-maroon kits. I've never liked football kits that are all one-colour, but all-maroon has got to be the worst example of this.

I know Hibs fans who chose to support the club solely on the basis of loving our kit and it's hard to imagine any neutral tuning into yesterday's action not instinctively siding with the side in green and white. In its purest form (green shirts with all-white sleeves and white shorts) ours has got to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing kits in football. Surely nobody ever chose to support Hearts because they liked their colours?

Almost as vile are those pale blue and maroon track suit tops the coaching staff wear. It must be the colour maroon that lends them their sickly look because I've never felt as repelled by, say, a West Ham or Villa kit which combine light blue and claret, rather than maroon.

iwasthere1972
13-02-2017, 09:25 PM
They decided to introduce the 'unwashed' effect Jambo strip to detract from the manky stands.

It would still be a hideous strip but white shorts would be slightly better than the all maroon outfits that they parade as football strips. That and the Battenburg away strip. The designer must be a Hibby.

Glory Lurker
13-02-2017, 09:31 PM
I'm going to regret this........

There is only one "major" team in the U.K. that plays in maroon-and-white. Anyone who knows anything about football knows that if you see someone in those colours, they are a yam (apologies to the Red Lichties). That, sickeningly, is actually pretty cool (quite an achievement for such a cool-evading outfit). It is a bowfin colour though, I agree!

G B Young
13-02-2017, 09:44 PM

There is only one "major" team in the U.K. that plays in maroon-and-white. Anyone who knows anything about football knows that if you see someone in those colours, they are a yam (apologies to the Red Lichties). That, sickeningly, is actually pretty cool (quite an achievement for such a cool-evading outfit). It is a bowfin colour though, I agree!

It may be unique, but that doesn't make it cool.

To quote from Trainspotting..."Ugh...a spotty f***** in a Hearts scarf...yes, the c**** are at home today. Look at him; the ultimate anti-style statement. Ah'd rather see ma sister in a brothel than ma brother in a Hearts scarf, and that's f***** true."

matty_f
13-02-2017, 09:45 PM
It's a ****ing gantin' colour.

Deansy
13-02-2017, 09:47 PM
Just a darker shade of pink - bogging colour !

Billy Whizz
13-02-2017, 09:50 PM
It's the big thick scarves that I hate, is it only me?

Pete
13-02-2017, 09:50 PM
Maroon top and white shorts look ok but the whole maroon thing isn't good.

Maroon cars are for old people.

Bostonhibby
13-02-2017, 09:55 PM
Not really a colour, it's what you get when you mix two actual colours, red and (Jobby) brown. And as one poster has already said, it's unique to them and long may it continue that way. They had a perfectly good chance to at least partially distance themselves from maroon by getting a half decent away strip. That went well.

Bostonhibby
13-02-2017, 10:00 PM

You're not alone.

But you have to remember that yam grannies have been knitting these things for them for decades now, to go with the cardigans. Even when they are in their fifties they are obviously still getting big itchy knitted scarves every birthday and Xmas.

silverhibee
13-02-2017, 10:01 PM
Not really a colour, it's what you get when you mix two actual colours, red and (Jobby) brown. And as one poster has already said, it's unique to them and long may it continue that way. They had a perfectly good chance to at least partially distance themselves from maroon by getting a half decent away strip. That went well.

Mrs Doubtfire seems to think it's the in colour. Old hag. :jamboak:

Surprised she didn't have a jobby colour fox around her neck at the weekend.

Bostonhibby
13-02-2017, 10:04 PM

Was she the one that first mixed a dog turd and some tomato sauce together and discovered the thing we now know as maroon?

Hibernia&Alba
13-02-2017, 10:11 PM
It certainly isn't the best, but I think there's worse: the amber of Motherwell is unusual but is horrible; and the tangerine of Dundee United is just too much.

Carheenlea
13-02-2017, 10:13 PM
I get dragged along to see Galway Utd when I'm over there, and the main reason for being less than enthusiastic is that they play in maroon.Their strips are truly horrible to look at. Don't have any souvenirs or club gear on the back if that. Maroon is the colour for whole county, but at least Connacht rugby play in green, so much easier to go and watch them with a bit more enthusiasm.

SirDavidsNapper
13-02-2017, 10:14 PM
They made a depressing boring kit even more depressing and boring by wearing maroon shorts. No wonder their support is flat. Nothing inspiring about that mob whatsoever. They must envy our green and white. Really is a thing of beauty.

Slavers
13-02-2017, 10:15 PM
It's the perfect color for them it's as close to jobby color as possible without being the full kaky brown.

A depressing color that defines the sad jambos fashion.

gillythehibby
13-02-2017, 10:25 PM
It's rank rotten and they know it deep down. But it fits well with the whole club. Gash strip , never known for sexy fitbaw. EVER ! They are the missionary of sexual positions and the Marks and Spencer Y-fronts of underwear. The worst part is...they're fine with it. Hibernian FC on the other hand........😉🇳🇬

Hibernia&Alba
13-02-2017, 10:27 PM
It's rank rotten and they know it deep down. But it fits well with the whole club. Gash strip , never known for sexy fitbaw. EVER ! They are the missionary of sexual positions and the Marks and Spencer Y-fronts of underwear. The worst part is...they're fine with it. Hibernian FC on the other hand........😉🇳🇬

Reverse cowgirl and Calvin Kleins? :cb

dchibs
13-02-2017, 10:49 PM

Surprised she didn't have a jobby colour fox around her neck at the weekend.

Always remember Al Murry the pub landlord saying in a chat show that he picked that colour for his jacket because its the most hideous colour ever.

headshrinker
13-02-2017, 10:55 PM
I have never worn the colour, lets face it it's sh***

Smartie
13-02-2017, 11:02 PM

I've heard this analogy before and I disagree with it. The missionary would be a functional yet uninspiring side, for example, Ross County.

Hearts would be the shame-filled knee trembler with one's sister in a toilet cubicle.

NAE NOOKIE
13-02-2017, 11:08 PM
Its slightly less offensive with white shorts, but as a one colour kit ( which like the OP I dislike as a rule anyway ) its truly horrific, drab, depressing and sair on the eyes. That's one of the things about the Yams though, all that maroon paint everywhere an all maroon strip and a pitch that's more brown than green ...... what a depressing club.
:jamboak:

Don't get me wrong ..... I don't hate maroon as a colour as such, but like anything that should be used sparingly when you over use it the results are terrible and wow do the Yams prove that point.

Scott Allan Key
13-02-2017, 11:12 PM
I've heard this analogy before and I disagree with it. The missionary would be a functional yet uninspiring side, for example, Ross County.

Hearts would be the shame-filled knee trembler with one's sister in a toilet cubicle.

Hearts are the 'it's alright, it happens' of sexual performance. Especially with the new boy as boss.

Waxy
13-02-2017, 11:49 PM
Hearts are the 'it's alright, it happens' of sexual performance. Especially with the new boy as boss.

Its ok

Hibernia&Alba
13-02-2017, 11:52 PM
Its ok

I've been under a lot of stress lately :greengrin

Greencore
13-02-2017, 11:56 PM
WHY do they even play in maroon? Didn't they used to play in all white?

AgentDaleCooper
14-02-2017, 12:09 AM
disclaimer - the hearts strip is rank, looks rubbish, and sums them up.

i have to admit, however, that I quite like the colour maroon for clothes - it's more subdued than red, which I like, but is just a bit 'loud'. I have a maroon hoody, which i've actually worn to hibs games - with a hibs scarf of course - it's such a subdued colour that you don't notice it next to green and white.

for a football strip, however, it's gash - surely a strip is meant to stand out and express something? the reason i like wearing it is the very reason it's a crap football strip, and sums them up as a club - no flair, no expression.

Hibernia&Alba
14-02-2017, 12:11 AM
disclaimer - the hearts strip is rank, looks rubbish, and sums them up.

i have to admit, however, that I quite like the colour maroon for clothes - it's more subdued than red, which I like, but is just a bit 'loud'. I have a maroon hoody, which i've actually worn to hibs games - with a hibs scarf of course - it's such a subdued colour that you don't notice it next to green and white.

for a football strip, however, it's gash - surely a strip is meant to stand out and express something? the reason i like wearing it is the very reason it's a crap football strip, and sums them up as a club - no flair, no expression.

Reported :greengrin

Claret or burgundy, aye; maroon, never!

Deansy
14-02-2017, 12:15 AM

It's the TWIRLING of them I despise - so '1950's girly hockey-fans' whose songs would invariably end in 'RAH-RAH-RAH' !!

Jim Herriot
14-02-2017, 12:20 AM

Yes - 1873-76 according to http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Heart_of_Midlothian/Heart_of_Midlothian.htm

The story about them playing in maroon due to their 1876-77 red/white/blue kits running in the wash is mentioned on a few sites - there doesn't seem to be definitive proof one way or the other.

GreenLake
14-02-2017, 12:25 AM
Maroon is a dirty color and not one of light. I have LED accent lighting in our lounge and dining areas and can adjust the colors through the full spectrum with a little touch sensitive control ring. You can make them yellow, orange, green, blue, turquoise, pink, red or just about any color you can imagine. No matter what you do or dial in you can't make maroon.

It makes sense. Have you ever seen a brown light?

Yuillsy
14-02-2017, 12:43 AM
It's horrible. I've never owned anything maroon in my life and never intend too!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
14-02-2017, 12:50 AM
It goes perfectly with the fumes from the distillery and chemical plant and the carbon monoxide from the old buses.

1875godsgift
14-02-2017, 12:52 AM
It goes perfectly with the fumes from the distillery and chemical plant and the carbon monoxide from the old buses.

A heady cocktail indeed! :agree:

No wonder they're all passed out in their seats on matchdays....

JackLadd
14-02-2017, 01:23 AM
I hope they get out their yellow and pink away kit for ER.

Cathro model's hertz away kit

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/tombliboo.jpg

SirDavidsNapper
14-02-2017, 01:58 AM

Decided Real Madrid were a wee team so changed

Hibernia&Alba
14-02-2017, 02:07 AM
Decided Real Madrid were a wee team so changed
:top marks

givescotlandfreedom
14-02-2017, 02:08 AM
It's an absolutely foul coulour which suits their boring, cringey style of play. Saw some old brogue wearing, balding, cord wearing gimp at haymarket after the game with his pink/yellow scarf round his neck and blooded turd one round his wrist in twirley position. Pretty much Hearts personified.

blackpoolhibs
14-02-2017, 07:30 AM

http://www.ntfc.co.uk/

Albanian Hibs
14-02-2017, 07:51 AM
Disgusting colour for a disgusting club 😝

Bay Area Hibees
14-02-2017, 07:56 AM
My American wife knows not to buy or wear anything. Maroon
Horrendous colour

Diclonius
14-02-2017, 08:04 AM
I don't mind maroon. It's not the most exciting colour, but it's different.

Don't buy into the whole "they're our rivals so I hate their colour" partisanship thing. I'll stick to being rivals with them as a club.

CRAZYHIBBY
14-02-2017, 08:36 AM
I hate maroon.....i once went with a mate to buy a bmw 316 that was described as red only to find out it was maroon...i never even got out the car and just drove past

weecounty hibby
14-02-2017, 09:06 AM
I had to wear maroon all through school. Alloa Academy colours are maroon. Maroon tie, maroon blazer, even had to wear a maroon strip when playing rugby for the school.😳

Geo_1875
14-02-2017, 09:16 AM
I had to wear maroon all through school. Alloa Academy colours are maroon. Maroon tie, maroon blazer, even had to wear a maroon strip when playing rugby for the school.😳

You could have played truant.

Iggy Pope
14-02-2017, 04:19 PM

Northampton Town are much more major than those ****s and wear about the same amount of 'white'. And they are cooler too. Christ, they have to be. Brogues get made there.

Iggy Pope
14-02-2017, 04:33 PM

And by the way. Any check on a Subbuteo chart of the right vintage will tell you. Hibs played in Green. Panathanaikos and Plymouth Argyle shared our jerseys. Celtic had about 50% of our colour Check out those old 'Shoot' league ladders..
No other ****er and no one had heard of Yeovil Town or Coventry 'away'.
Maroon tinged? Such ***** as....
Hertz
Arbroath
Stenhousemuir
Motherwell
York City
Northampton
Crystal Palace
Burnley
West Ham
Villa

14-02-2017, 05:37 PM
Disgusting colour, disgusting stadium, disgusting pitch, disgusting fans, disgusting club in general.

Much of their obsession with us is born out of jealousy. They can deny it all they like but ER is a cracking stadium compared to their grubby, cheap looking, ***** coloured, tin can "stadium". Half the seats are faded to a pink colour. Its genuinely cheap, unclean, dull and nasty looking. I do not envy them one bit, it's hardly a stadium they can show off and be proud of and if it is then it just shows you what their idea of "class" is.

IlDiavola
14-02-2017, 06:14 PM
It's not a good colour for any form of clothing.

GreenLake
14-02-2017, 06:28 PM
It's not a good colour for any form of clothing.

I could be useful as underwear for taking the eye off skid marks.

Hibee87
14-02-2017, 06:32 PM
Hideous colour, like a dried tampon

emerald green
14-02-2017, 07:04 PM
The Oxford English Dictionary describes the colour maroon as "a brownish crimson or claret colour." Yuk.

Hibernia&Alba
14-02-2017, 07:05 PM
The Oxford English Dictionary describes the colour maroon as "a brownish crimson or claret colour." Yuk.

The Oxford Scottish dictionary describes it as "the colour of a jobby".

Bostonhibby
14-02-2017, 07:11 PM
The Oxford Scottish dictionary describes it as "the colour of a jobby".
My version down here describes a jobbies colour as being " a yammish shade of maroon which in itself is not a real colour"

Does it for me.

Also describes a yam as an ugly maroon coloured misshapen vegetable that is a member of the potato family.

Winner all round.

Joe6-2
14-02-2017, 08:12 PM

There's a reason they are the only "major" team to wear it, no one else would be seen dead in it!!

Austinho
14-02-2017, 09:33 PM

There is only one "major" team in the U.K. that plays in maroon-and-white. Anyone who knows anything about football knows that if you see someone in those colours, they are a yam (apologies to the Red Lichties). That, sickeningly, is actually pretty cool (quite an achievement for such a cool-evading outfit). It is a bowfin colour though, I agree!Come on now - whether you call it maroon, claret, burgundy, blooded turd or dried tampon, it's still the same colour. West Ham, Burnley and Villa, Northampton etc etc make it far from unique on these isles. There are far fewer teams in green in the UK, that's for sure.

Maybe we should just call it Emerald Green and pretend to be exclusive just like Hearts ;)

HibbiesandtheBaddies
15-02-2017, 12:46 AM
My version down here describes a jobbies colour as being " a yammish shade of maroon which in itself is not a real colour"

Does it for me.

Also describes a yam as an ugly maroon coloured misshapen vegetable that is a member of the potato family.

Winner all round.

The Wheatfield Stand on Sunday...

HibbiesandtheBaddies
15-02-2017, 12:47 AM
how come photo uploads on here are so pishy and small?

SirDavidsNapper
15-02-2017, 03:27 AM
I had a maroon car once. A Renault Clio. Actually told anyone who would listen it was a Bentley and drove around laughing and pointing at Vauxhall Corsa drivers, telling them they had a wee car and calling them gay. The colour maroon does strange things to you.

GreenLake
15-02-2017, 07:39 AM
Maroon is like a red wine that has gone sour with a taste like a rotten ****.

Heedersnvolleys
15-02-2017, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=Yuillsy;4943319]It's horrible. I've never owned anything maroon in my life and never intend too!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
This!

100%, wife bought me an expensive jumper one Xmas she knew as soon as i opened it I was never going to wear it.

Have to say I don't like Aston Villa, Burnley or West Ham either!!!!🤢

Greentinted
15-02-2017, 01:17 PM
No really anything to do with 'them' (although it probably is on some subconscious level I suppose) but I genuinely can't countenance even being in the prescence of anything maroon - its just a boggin shade of sh**e!
Having said that, I caught QPR playing in their change strip on the tellybox the other night and thought 'that's actually no too bad'. I did have the good grace to feel dirty though!

SanFranHibs
15-02-2017, 01:43 PM
You could have played truant.

Not in the same school district as Tranent

SanFranHibs
15-02-2017, 01:48 PM
I found this plausible until.....

Yes - 1873-76 according to http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Heart_of_Midlothian/Heart_of_Midlothian.htm

The story about them playing in maroon due to their 1876-77 red/white/blue kits running in the wash is mentioned on a few sites - there doesn't seem to be definitive proof one way or the other.

Then I knew it was a lie.

Seriously, I hate the colour maroon and not just because they wear it although they seem to manage to get it looking even more drab than it is.

It is just a depressing, drab colour.....but then it is well camouflaged in their depressing, drab pigsty.

:flag:

Haymaker
15-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Oh, a new pet!

northstandhibby
15-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Has five one not been horsed out yet admins?

glory glory

Hibernia&Alba
15-02-2017, 03:02 PM
Hahaha another "oh but but 5-1" desperado :faf::bye:

His moniker is an anagram of five - one. Admins, LTYF.

Hibernia&Alba
15-02-2017, 03:24 PM
That's better. The stench was quite awful.

Bostonhibby
15-02-2017, 03:33 PM
Hopefully the lesson will mention the cup wins tainted by money meant for big hearts, the lady Haig Poppy Fund and the Macraes Battalion Trust, all charities who could have used the money.

Poppy thieves. What a legacy to have.

G B Young
15-02-2017, 03:49 PM
That's better. The stench was quite awful.

He/she clearly hasn't actually read Trainspotting either. The quote refers to Sick Boy. Begbie's the psychopath.

JK Rolling
15-02-2017, 05:53 PM

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Hibernian/hibernian.htm

As did we (play in white that is) according to the same site.

Couldn't help but think the players in the early 1870s could just as easily by dressed for a baseball game.

Smartie
15-02-2017, 06:13 PM
I really wish they'd return to their roots and wear that cool white Evel Knievel jump suit thing that was their first strip.

beensaidbefore
15-02-2017, 06:37 PM
They're not the only ones though, West Ham and Aston Villa both play in an distinctly jamboish hue, which is why I dislike them both.

Haymaker
16-02-2017, 12:43 AM
They're not the only ones though, West Ham and Aston Villa both play in an distinctly jamboish hue, which is why I dislike them both.

West Ham play in claret, not maroon! Big difference! :greengrin

16-02-2017, 03:33 AM
I get dragged along to see Galway Utd when I'm over there, and the main reason for being less than enthusiastic is that they play in maroon.Their strips are truly horrible to look at. Don't have any souvenirs or club gear on the back if that. Maroon is the colour for whole county, but at least Connacht rugby play in green, so much easier to go and watch them with a bit more enthusiasm.
Drogheda United over there also play in maroon

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

heretoday
16-02-2017, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE=RagingReality;4943370]I don't mind maroon. It's not the most exciting colour, but it's different.

Don't buy into the whole "they're our rivals so I hate their colour" partisanship thing. I'll stick to being rivals with them as a club.[/QUOTE

You're right, of course, but bile must flow out or it causes internal scarring.

HFCdeb
17-02-2017, 09:51 AM
It is truly hideous.
One very special Jambo I have the hilarious pleasure of having on Facebook suggested that their pink and yellow away strip monstrosity would look better with maroon shorts and socks! Hahahahahahaha I honestly think people's eyeballs would burn in their heads if that became a reality.

Bostonhibby
17-02-2017, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE=RagingReality;4943370]I don't mind maroon. It's not the most exciting colour, but it's different.

Don't buy into the whole "they're our rivals so I hate their colour" partisanship thing. I'll stick to being rivals with them as a club.[/QUOTE

You're right, of course, but bile must flow out or it causes internal scarring.
Agree but it's also possible to mercilessly ridicule them without feeling any actual hatred at all, they give you so much to work with it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Eyrie
17-02-2017, 05:54 PM
I'm undecided about the colour maroon.

As in I can't decide if it's a crap colour or the colour of crap.

Is It On....
17-02-2017, 07:13 PM
"The midfielder (Don Cowie) is still struggling with the rib injury he sustained in a challenge from Hibernian's Darren McGregor in last weekend's goalless Scottish Cup meeting". Green vs Maroon? Think Mr McGregor has answered that one!!

beensaidbefore
17-02-2017, 07:25 PM
West Ham play in claret, not maroon! Big difference! :greengrin

Sincere apologies😁

beensaidbefore
17-02-2017, 07:25 PM
I'm undecided about the colour maroon.

As in I can't decide if it's a crap colour or the colour of crap.

Or a scab?