PDA

View Full Version : NHC Cathro

G B Young
13-02-2017, 06:07 PM
Anyone find it a bit daft that because Cathro hasn't come from a football-playing background he's therefore billed as some sort of 'boffin' with a 'blueprint' or a 'masterplan' that elevates him above your average football manager?

After a dismal first couple of months in charge, including the toe-curling post-Raith interview, I thought the guy was way out of his depth. I was surprised by the emphatic win over Rangers, but the sudden switch of mindset among the Hearts support from increasing derision to 'ah, the Cathro masterplan is starting to take shape' seems premature, especially as it's since transpired that Rangers were on the cusp of their latest off-field meltdown. Based on yesterday's performance, Hearts appear to be exactly as they always are...big and physical (ie the key components of every club side Levein has managed) and in no shape or form a side playing some sort of intellectually superior football.

Robinho08
13-02-2017, 06:12 PM
Still early days. They've signed 9 new players and beat a poor Sevco side and Motherwell, then drawed with us. Something about him that annoys me though, has a smug Yamish thing about him. 😄

magpie1892
13-02-2017, 06:15 PM
FWIW, he was quite popular at Newcastle United. Benitez liked him and the players enjoyed his coaching. Benitez was quite happy to let him go as good coaches are ten-a-penny though. It's an understatement to say there's no managerial pedigree there. Fair play to the yams for trying something new, as long as they never beat us or win anything while he's in charge.

Joe6-2
13-02-2017, 06:38 PM
FWIW, he was quite popular at Newcastle United. Benitez liked him and the players enjoyed his coaching. Benitez was quite happy to let him go as good coaches are ten-a-penny though. It's an understatement to say there's no managerial pedigree there. Fair play to the yams for trying something new, as long as they never beat us or win anything while he's in charge.

Or any time!!

hibsbollah
13-02-2017, 06:45 PM
It's very unusual for someone with no significant playing experience (forfar youth team was his limit), to get a managerial gig like Hertz. No matter his coaching résumé, That's the barrier he'll always face, someone will always turn around in the dressing room and say 'wtf do YOU know about it when you can barely kick a ba?'

The jury is still out. I'm very much enjoying his performances in front of the camera in the meantime.

bingo70
13-02-2017, 06:50 PM
It's very unusual for someone with no significant playing experience (forfar youth team was his limit), to get a managerial gig like Hertz. No matter his coaching résumé, That's the barrier he'll always face, someone will always turn around in the dressing room and say 'wtf do YOU know about it when you can barely kick a ba?'

The jury is still out. I'm very much enjoying his performances in front of the camera in the meantime.

I don't know if I agree with that. There's quite a few top class managers with very little playing career.

I think his lack of experience combined with his age will count against him, like it does for a lot of young managers in any industry.

I think what will really count against him though is that he is an absolute slaver and comes across as a know it all smug prick.

grunt
13-02-2017, 06:52 PM
It's no wonder there's questions about his ability.
On Rangers Sportsound tonight they were babbling on about who might be the next Rangers manager.
ALL the USUAL suspects were discussed.
The football media in this country can't see further than their own Christmas card list when it comes to discussing managers.
It's quite pathetic.

JackLadd
13-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Without the nine signings two weeks ago he'd be on a shuggly peg. Him and the Nickelback roadie.

O'Rourke3
13-02-2017, 06:54 PM
Does he think he's the Queen? Every answer is "We did this, we did not do that, we go again, we have the same goal" etc. Every interview sound like a conversation with Smeagol.....

Viva_Palmeiras
13-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Does he think he's the Queen? Every answer is "We did this, we did not do that, we go again, we have the same goal" etc. Every interview sound like a conversation with Smeagol.....

We dream the same thing
We want the same thing
And all that we need is to
See it together

He's turning into Belinda Carlise...

SuperAllyMcleod
13-02-2017, 07:04 PM
I'm not convinced his first language is English - he certainly seems to struggle with some of the basic elements.

As for Nanny McPhee beside him, I can only assume that he's his carer..

Hi Heid Yin
13-02-2017, 07:08 PM
"Kid Cathro - Kid Computer Cathro" gets the nod of approval from me. As long as he remains the so-called number one at Tynie (Levein anybody?) then I can't see Hearts ever beating us.
Lennon owned him yesterday and will own him again in the replay.
For once it really is satisfying to see two consecutive Hibs managers/coaches (Stubbsy and Lennon) own two consecutive Hearts coaches (Neilsen and Cathro)
Happy days indeed for we Hibbies.
I for one will enjoy the ride while we are the dominant derby team.

greenlex
13-02-2017, 07:17 PM
We dream the same thing
We want the same thing
See it together

😂😂😂

SlickShoes
13-02-2017, 07:22 PM
The patter folk target him with is cringeworthy, however he is the hearts manager and deserves it all for that fact.

If he wasn't managing hearts I'd be hoping he was successful so I can hear all those dinosaurs on the radio crying about how he can't know what hes doing just because he didn't play professionally.

lapsedhibee
13-02-2017, 07:24 PM
I'm not convinced his first language is English.

:agree: Non-native speakers always have a bit of mystique about them. Has he used the word "footballistically" yet, or "we played a little bit with the handbrake on"?

brianmc
13-02-2017, 07:25 PM
I think folk are maybe being a wee bit hard on Cathro. Mainly because he looks like the wee nae mates, scholarly, never had a girlfriend, teacher's pet type no mark that we all remember from our youth.
Time/age/experience tells me that sometimes these types go on to rule us all!!

Beware the mocking of the laptop

bigwheel
13-02-2017, 07:33 PM
I think folk are maybe being a wee bit hard on Cathro. Mainly because he looks like the wee nae mates, scholarly, never had a girlfriend, teacher's pet type no mark that we all remember from our youth.

lol...love the fact that you start with ..."think folk are being a wee bit hard on Cathro"...then absolutely hammer him... hahaha :aok:

The Captain....
13-02-2017, 07:42 PM
I'm not convinced his first language is English - he certainly seems to struggle with some of the basic elements.

As for Nanny McPhee beside him, I can only assume that he's his carer..

This... his 'the pitch is the pitch' pronouncement on Sunday was absolute vintage Cathro. Boy is a blether.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
13-02-2017, 07:46 PM
My wife reckons he's like a foreigner speaking in his 2nd language.

Dashing Bob S
13-02-2017, 07:49 PM
If we are to progress as a footballing nation, and not remain a pathetic backwater for inadequate Masonic stage dads, we need people like Cathro to succeed. But note the 'people like Cathro' rather than 'Cathro'. I hope he's a dismal failure at Hearts.

Scouse Hibee
13-02-2017, 07:54 PM
It depends on which USB stick is inserted up his erse prior to interview. Think they mixed up the bosses one with the tossers one on Sunday.

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2017, 08:03 PM
I cant take anyone serious when they wear a crew neck jumper with a shirt and tie underneath.

bob12345
13-02-2017, 08:03 PM
The reason for it is pretty simple. He's been writing master plans since he was about 20 (when most other managers were just playing and not giving coaching plans a moment's thought). He ran his own coaching academy, his plan worked and then he did the same for Dundee United. He was clearly very good at that, but whether he can translate it into being able to do the same thing at first team level remains to be seen. It's very different working with kids compared to professional athletes.

Craig_in_Prague
13-02-2017, 08:08 PM
Sorry if breaking any rules and I'll get a warning, but he looks an inbred tbh. Something about him, has a look of those random pictures re you see in an old chateau or that, anyway, I can't be the only one that sees something weird?

-Jonesy-
13-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Sorry if breaking any rules and I'll get a warning, but he looks an inbred tbh. Something about him, has a look of those random pictures re you see in an old chateau or that, anyway, I can't be the only one that sees something weird?

Can't recall the last time I was in an old chateau...or that

But I agree with the sentiment

high bee
13-02-2017, 08:34 PM
It's ok... eh, what's difficult?... the pitch is the pitch... we'll just have to beat them again next Widinsday... wait, next Widinsday!? Who agreed to that!?

Vini1875
13-02-2017, 08:35 PM
Still think he will be in trouble if we pump them at ER.

Billy Whizz
13-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Still think he will be in trouble if we pump them at ER.

Hope you're right

Nameless
13-02-2017, 08:53 PM
I cant take anyone serious when they wear a crew neck jumper with a shirt and tie underneath.
Amen!!

Dashing Bob S
13-02-2017, 08:54 PM

More than anything else, this is why he has zero credibility and will fail.

Libby Hibby
13-02-2017, 09:00 PM
We dream the same thing
We want the same thing
See it together

😂😂😂

Somebody more clever than me must be able to cut his interviews with the Belinda Carlisle tune in the background

G B Young
13-02-2017, 09:05 PM
More than anything else, this is why he has zero credibility and will fail.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlsLrQEW55u_H8O2vzahBNXvIoG6eLc w3DjWGs0DDFLOmMDr0l

Bostonhibby
13-02-2017, 09:12 PM

Hibernia&Alba
13-02-2017, 09:16 PM

That's a good point, though Stubbs used to wear v neck with tie under his suit, which is just as bad!

SirDavidsNapper
13-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Just comes across very smug. Not a likeable character

jacomo
13-02-2017, 09:20 PM
That's a good point, though Stubbs used to wear v neck with tie under his suit, which is just as bad!

No it's not.

Knitwear and ties need to be handled with care, but Stubbsy knew what he was doing.

Bishop Hibee
13-02-2017, 09:23 PM
The jury is out but he's been backed big style by the budgie. The gorgiegoyles will be raging if we beat them but I expect he'll be given the summer and beyond regardless.

Biggest capital fashion disaster since maroon shellsuits.

Hibernia&Alba
13-02-2017, 09:23 PM
No it's not.

Knitwear and ties need to be handled with care, but Stubbsy knew what he was doing.

Not under a suit. Jumper under suit jacket is a clear breach of gentlemanly etiquette. :greengrin

Mr White
13-02-2017, 09:25 PM
He'll never be forgiven by a sizeable section of their support when we beat them next week.

brianmc
13-02-2017, 09:35 PM

Hahahaha! I knew he reminded me of someone - Good old Father Dougal 😂😂😂😂

brianmc
13-02-2017, 09:36 PM
lol...love the fact that you start with ..."think folk are being a wee bit hard on Cathro"...then absolutely hammer him... hahaha :aok:

I try to call it like I see it... 😃

HibsNutter
13-02-2017, 09:38 PM
Ian Cathro is a definite virgin.