PDA

View Full Version : Super Joe Tortolano at St. Pat's

GORDONSMITH7
13-02-2017, 03:25 PM
Our first St. Partick's Branch meeting of the year is on Thursday,16th February at the Hibs club, 7.30pm, and we are delighted to have Super Joe Tortolano for a Q and A session. Although this a members only Branch meeting it will as usual be recorded and placed on our Branch website for all to peruse. If any of you have a question for Super Joe I will endeavour to have it asked to the great man.

GGTTH

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
15-02-2017, 12:59 AM
Our first St. Partick's Branch meeting of the year is on Thursday,16th February at the Hibs club, 7.30pm, and we are delighted to have Super Joe Tortolano for a Q and A session. Although this a members only Branch meeting it will as usual be recorded and placed on our Branch website for all to peruse. If any of you have a question for Super Joe I will endeavour to have it asked to the great man.

GGTTH

BIG G

Spoke with Hibernian hero tonight. Any questions Auldsters or Kiddy Winkies? Hibernian hero big time.

GGTTH

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
15-02-2017, 01:14 AM
Nowt. Oh well Kiddy Winkies ask yer dads or grandads about Super Joe.

BIG G

Scott Allan Key
15-02-2017, 01:15 AM
The left foot volley you scored at Brockville was one of the best goals I've ever seen. Never mind Hibs goals. What was the best goal you have personally witnessed, either playing or spectating?

Bay Area Hibees
15-02-2017, 02:53 AM
Why did you try to half wee Gordon in the United friendly ?!

GORDONSMITH7
15-02-2017, 03:26 AM
The left foot volley you scored at Brockville was one of the best goals I've ever seen. Never mind Hibs goals. What was the best goal you have personally witnessed, either playing or spectating?

Thanks, will do.

GGTTH

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
15-02-2017, 03:28 AM

Thanks, will do. I guess a few may have this question in mind.

GGTTH

BIG G

Viva_Palmeiras
15-02-2017, 04:49 AM
Does he remember warming up at halftime time against Andrrlecht (maybe Liege) at ER.
Hit the corner of post-crossbar corner left. Pinged it and hit the corner of post-crossbar right. Pinged it again and hit the corner of the post-crossbar left again. Amazing skill.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2017, 07:50 AM
Ah Super Joe, when I blew in 1990 ish and went to my first Hibs game I thought wow they have an Italian in the team :-)

Who is the best player he ever played with?

tamig
15-02-2017, 07:59 AM
I was at Joe's debut at the old Kilbowie Park in a midweek game. What are Joe's memories of his first game for the Hibees?

davemcbain
15-02-2017, 08:03 AM
I cannot think of another player whose career was so altered by an inept manager insisting on playing them out of position. Would the best winger to grace ER in many a year care to comment on BF Millers management technique?
Super Joe - always a Hibee legend.

3pm
15-02-2017, 08:04 AM
G, would be interested to hear his view on Alex Miller and to what extent being played at left back hindered his career and confidence?

Deansy
15-02-2017, 08:19 AM
I cannot think of another player whose career was so altered by an inept manager insisting on playing them out of position. Would the best winger to grace ER in many a year care to comment on BF Millers management technique?

Ta - saved me from asking the very same :wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
15-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Joes take on that Derby run - had Miller run out of ideas?
If Millers coaching was so great why so many youngsters only flit in then out of team without a run?
If Berry hadn't broken Paul Wrights leg would we have won that Derby at Tynie?

Viva_Palmeiras
15-02-2017, 09:17 AM

So true.

tamig
15-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Joes take on that Derby run - had Miller run out of ideas?
If Millers coaching was so great why so many youngsters only flit in then out of team without a run?
If Berry hadn't broken Paul Wrights leg would we have won that Derby at Tynie?

Paul Wright got halved by Berry at ER.

Cod Boy
15-02-2017, 10:10 AM
Does Joe remember getting caught in a downstairs hotel bar in Magdeburg in East Germany with other first team players by Alex Miller. I was a young lad at the time and Alex shouted me over and said did you see where the boys went and I said yes downstairs.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Does Joe remember getting caught in a downstairs hotel bar in Magdeburg in East Germany with other first team players by Alex Miller. I was a young lad at the time and Alex shouted me over and said did you see where the boys went and I said yes downstairs.

Are you Lee Wallace?

Cod Boy
15-02-2017, 10:17 AM
No Colin

GORDONSMITH7
15-02-2017, 11:56 AM
All questions duly noted and will be asked folks. Joe's Q and A will be filmed so I will tip him off about the Alex Miller questions before hand. :wink:

GGTTH

BIG G

Peevemor
15-02-2017, 12:14 PM
I was at Joe's debut at the old Kilbowie Park in a midweek game. What are Joe's memories of his first game for the Hibees?

Is that the match where Joe McBride had his leg broken? If so I was there too.

bigwheel
15-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Never been a member of a supports branch since a teenager...but everything I read about St Patricks branch suggests they are a top class supporter club! I have noticed they've done many things like before, and good on them doing another...top notch!

fat freddy
15-02-2017, 12:52 PM
Joe done a bit of modelling while at Hibs, I remember him being the posterboy for a tanning shop on Lothian Rd. as well as advertising for Gordons Trattoria, could you ask him what sort of money he was getting for these wee extra jobs? I can imagine him being on free meals for The Gordons work but free tanning?

GORDONSMITH7
15-02-2017, 01:13 PM
Never been a member of a supports branch since a teenager...but everything I read about St Patricks branch suggests they are a top class supporter club! I have noticed they've done many things like before, and good on them doing another...top notch!

Thanks mate. However every activity whether it be raising dough for the Plaque at St.Patrick's Church, Dan McMichaels gravestone at the Eastern Cemetery, the 140th Anniversary and the 25th Anniversary of the 1991 Skol Cup victory celebrations have all been supported by the wider Hibernian support.

GGTTH

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
15-02-2017, 02:31 PM
Joe done a bit of modelling while at Hibs, I remember him being the posterboy for a tanning shop on Lothian Rd. as well as advertising for Gordons Trattoria, could you ask him what sort of money he was getting for these wee extra jobs? I can imagine him being on free meals for The Gordons work but free tanning?

When I spoke with Joe I mentioned his half naked posing for the tanning gig. I said he looked like a right ****. He laughed and agreed. Quality.

BIG G

bigwheel
15-02-2017, 02:36 PM
Thanks mate. However every activity whether it be raising dough for the Plaque at St.Patrick's Church, Dan McMichaels gravestone at the Eastern Cemetery, the 140th Anniversary and the 25th Anniversary of the 1991 Skol Cup victory celebrations have all been supported by the wider Hibernian support.

GGTTH

BIG G

Even better [emoji106]

1875STEVE
15-02-2017, 03:42 PM

GGTTH

BIG G

Are you guys planning on any other fund raising??

Micheal Whelahan's gravestone was in a bit of a state last time I was up.

Id happily donate towards it......

FC Leige
15-02-2017, 03:45 PM
I dont think Joe was as bad as everyone used to make out. He became a whipping boy and got pelters for things that other players got away with. I mind he had a cracking shot on him and could cross a ball. I think the fact he was a handsome git made us give him even more abuse than he deserved.

Peevemor
15-02-2017, 04:09 PM
I dont think Joe was as bad as everyone used to make out. He became a whipping boy and got pelters for things that other players got away with. I mind he had a cracking shot on him and could cross a ball. I think the fact he was a handsome git made us give him even more abuse than he deserved.

One of the best crossers of a ball I've seen at ER (apart from #hendersontodeliver that is :greengrin).

Viva_Palmeiras
15-02-2017, 05:36 PM
Paul Wright got halved by Berry at ER.

Doh! Beer addled brain playing tricks :)

Golden Bear
15-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Did Joe not get capped at underage level - but as a left winger?

tamig
15-02-2017, 06:20 PM
Is that the match where Joe McBride had his leg broken? If so I was there too.

I think he may have come on as a sub for him but I can't remember if he got a bad injury or not. Another memory from that night was our bus getting bricked in Clydebank after the game.

tamig
15-02-2017, 06:31 PM
One of the best crossers of a ball I've seen at ER (apart from #hendersontodeliver that is :greengrin).

I'd like to know how many of Keith Wright's goals came from Joe's crosses. Must have been a load.

penihibs
15-02-2017, 08:46 PM

We went to Dublin 1986 for Scotland Game, we met locals who had been at under 21s game night before and were raving about the Italian winger playing for Scotland.
Brilliant prospect,who else but Super Joe !!
Was proud he was a Hibby.

gillythehibby
15-02-2017, 09:43 PM
I was at one of his first games against clydebank on a wet wednesday night. Legend. Gave his all for the Hibs 👍🇳🇬🇳🇬

Jonnyboy
15-02-2017, 09:50 PM
All questions duly noted and will be asked folks. Joe's Q and A will be filmed so I will tip him off about the Alex Miller questions before hand. :wink:

GGTTH

BIG G

G, in the event that I can't make it, ask Joe to do his impersonation of Alex Miller. I know from a player back then that this was Joe's party piece :greengrin

GORDONSMITH7
15-02-2017, 11:20 PM
G, in the event that I can't make it, ask Joe to do his impersonation of Alex Miller. I know from a player back then that this was Joe's party piece :greengrin

Will do John. Hope to see you there mate.

BIG G

Edinburgher
16-02-2017, 08:23 AM
I seem to recall him being sent off in the first few minutes of a FRIENDLY v Man Utd at ER after clattering Gordon Strachan?

superfurryhibby
16-02-2017, 09:29 AM

A moot point. If the younger folk on here think players get it tight these days, they should have been around in Tortolano's days. He suffered a lot of abuse and playing at left back didnae help his case. WTF was Miller playing at!

I remember Joe as a guy with a decent touch, wholehearted in his approach and capable of moments of trickery. Unfortunately, they didn't happen all that often and the managers attempts at forcing a square peg into a round hole contributed massively to the way he was treated by the fans.

FC Leige
16-02-2017, 09:35 AM
A moot point. If the younger folk on here think players get it tight these days, they should have been around in Tortolano's days. He suffered a lot of abuse and playing at left back didnae help his case. WTF was Miller playing at!

I remember Joe as a guy with a decent touch, wholehearted in his approach and capable of moments of trickery. Unfortunately, they didn't happen all that often and the managers attempts at forcing a square peg into a round hole contributed massively to the way he was treated by the fans. I remember guys like Benny Brazil, Joe T and Brian Hamilton would get booed when the pa announcer read out their names in the line ups before the game. Imagine if that happened nowadays.

ben johnson
16-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Is it true that Joe was so fast at full time they had to scrape the flies off his forehead with a paint scraper ?

Baader
16-02-2017, 10:11 AM
Joe was a left winger forced to play all his career as a defender. Not fair.

Can you ask him, looking back, what was his favourite game in his time at Hibs?

Cheers

PS I once saw Joe about 25+ years ago tucking into a Wimpy on his own at the East End branch of Princes St. It was about two days after he scored a consolation header at Tynie but I was a shy teenager and didn't say hello! 1991 that was.

superfurryhibby
16-02-2017, 10:19 AM
I remember guys like Benny Brazil, Joe T and Brian Hamilton would get booed when the pa announcer read out their names in the line ups before the game. Imagine if that happened nowadays.

Yep, makes todays moaning seem almost complimentary. Alan Sneddon was another who got it tight and for whom it wasnae merited. Seem to remember Kano also getting a bit of stick regularly (another tactical masterstroke, playing a central midfielder at centre forward). Stevie Cowan too, especially after Wullie Irvine was forced out.

stirlingbhoy
16-02-2017, 10:32 AM
Joe was capped twice by Scotland u-21's......against Germany and Rep. of Ireland....unfairly moved to accomodate the left back position by Miller thus ******g joe's confidence big time....was never a left back..was an out and out winger....when he was younger all the top clubs wanted joe and his twin brother mario....lethal they were when they played together.....ask joe about the time him and his brother were up at tannadice with his mum and dad and jim mclean wanted them both to sign there and then...joe said no and that was that.....dont think his brother was too happy!!!! ask joe to do some more impersonations of football personalities..joe's a great guy...deserved better at hibs....testimonial??? 11 years he gave hibs....not always the fans favourite but made him the true hibby that he is today!!!

Bishop Hibee
16-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Super Jo could be brilliant or awful. I remember him scoring a late equaliser v Rangers in a game around Christmas time. I also remember the game at Ibrox were he scored an own goal and laid another on a plate for them. Agree Millar should never have tried to turn him into a left back

GORDONSMITH7
16-02-2017, 11:21 AM
Joe was capped twice by Scotland u-21's......against Germany and Rep. of Ireland....unfairly moved to accomodate the left back position by Miller thus ******g joe's confidence big time....was never a left back..was an out and out winger....when he was younger all the top clubs wanted joe and his twin brother mario....lethal they were when they played together.....ask joe about the time him and his brother were up at tannadice with his mum and dad and jim mclean wanted them both to sign there and then...joe said no and that was that.....dont think his brother was too happy!!!! ask joe to do some more impersonations of football personalities..joe's a great guy...deserved better at hibs....testimonial??? 11 years he gave hibs....not always the fans favourite but made him the true hibby that he is today!!!

Now that is something to ponder.....imagine both Joe and Mario had signed for the Hibs and played forward positions......Super Joe and Mario has a good ring to it.

BIG G

stirlingbhoy
16-02-2017, 12:07 PM
Now that is something to ponder.....imagine both Joe and Mario had signed for the Hibs and played forward positions......Super Joe and Mario has a good ring to it.

BIG G

ha ha certainly has a certain ring to it! Together they would beat teams on their own when they were playing youth football...devastating they were when they played.....both of them in hibs colours would have been some sight!!!!

tamig
16-02-2017, 06:39 PM
ha ha certainly has a certain ring to it! Together they would beat teams on their own when they were playing youth football...devastating they were when they played.....both of them in hibs colours would have been some sight!!!!

I'm sure I saw Mario playing for a junior team against Preston Athletic back in the 80s when Preston were still in the juniors. Sauchie maybe?

Mango Man
16-02-2017, 07:36 PM
When I was a nipper, me and my sister used to go round the back of Easter rd, where the players would come out, and get their autographs, I seem to remember asking his twin for an autograph instead of Joe :0

Baader
16-02-2017, 07:39 PM
What is Joe up to these days?

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-02-2017, 08:22 PM
What is Joe up to these days?

He's at The St Pat's meeting.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-02-2017, 10:28 PM
I remember guys like Benny Brazil, Joe T and Brian Hamilton would get booed when the pa announcer read out their names in the line ups before the game. Imagine if that happened nowadays.

Did the Calderwood, Fenlon period pass you by?

Nakedmanoncrack
16-02-2017, 10:39 PM
Are you guys planning on any other fund raising??

Micheal Whelahan's gravestone was in a bit of a state last time I was up.

Id happily donate towards it......

Where is Michael Whelahan buried?
I've been to Canon Hannan's resting place but no idea where the co-founder is interred.

Aubenas
16-02-2017, 11:04 PM
I've been to Canon Hannan's resting place but no idea where the co-founder is interred.

Michael's buried up at Mount Vernon, Liberton.

Dashing Bob S
16-02-2017, 11:10 PM

That was at Tynecastle.

In the Asbo stand toilets.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-02-2017, 11:36 PM

Did you make a pilgrimage the anniversary of his death/founding of the club?

Is It On....
16-02-2017, 11:50 PM

Did he not get sent off ?

Nakedmanoncrack
17-02-2017, 12:00 AM
Did you make a pilgrimage the anniversary of his death/founding of the club?

Visit's to Canon Hannan's grave are a fairly regular pilgrimage for me, I drive along Grange Rd regularly (it's enroute from my house to the Commie pool) so have often pulled over, though not since 21.05.16 surprisingly. Now that I know where Michael Whelahan's grave is, will plan a visit to Mount Vernon cemetry.

GORDONSMITH7
17-02-2017, 11:52 AM
Great night. Joe was excellent. Video will appear soon.50 Branch members in attendance.

GGTTH

BIG G

Viva_Palmeiras
18-02-2017, 05:34 AM
Visit's to Canon Hannan's grave are a fairly regular pilgrimage for me, I drive along Grange Rd regularly (it's enroute from my house to the Commie pool) so have often pulled over, though not since 21.05.16 surprisingly. Now that I know where Michael Whelahan's grave is, will plan a visit to Mount Vernon cemetry.

Ah - mixed memories. There was some guys on here - I think a couple from London Hibs who on the anniversary of the birth of Canon Hannan or Hibs went over to see his birthplAce and iirc even met with his family to pass on a gift.

MSK
18-02-2017, 08:19 AM
Ah - mixed memories. There was some guys on here - I think a couple from London Hibs who on the anniversary of the birth of Canon Hannan or Hibs went over to see his birthplAce and iirc even met with his family to pass on a gift.Was possibly this one, Dan McMichael ..http://hibsclub.co.uk/2013/11/22/dan-mcmichael-a-tribute-to-a-hibernian-legend/

crash
18-02-2017, 08:54 AM

It was John Blackley who changed Joe to Left Back,I remember being surprised to see him playing there for the first time in the famous victory v Rangers at ER, when Souness got sent off.