PDA

View Full Version : Grant Holt

FromTheCapital
13-02-2017, 10:35 AM
Often criticised by our supporters but I thought he was excellent yesterday.

Didn't give Hearts defence a moments rest and I've been very impressed during his time here, if he can add goals to his game... He'd be even more useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nellio
13-02-2017, 10:40 AM
I thought he was good as well. Not intimidated in the slightest and stood up for himself and some of the other players when required. Well played.

13-02-2017, 10:40 AM
Often criticised by our supporters but I thought he was excellent yesterday.

Didn't give Hearts defence a moments rest and I've been very impressed during his time here, if he can add goals to his game... He'd be even more useful

I think he lacks in goal scoring confidence. As ive said on a previous thread, first home game of the season v Dunfermline. He made a brilliant run and Neil Lennon told him to get back just as Jase was going to pass him the ball. Imo that would have mostlikley ended up as a goal if Lennon hadnt told him to get back. However I dont doubt Lennon had a reason but Holt wasnt offside and in my opinion it was a perfect run. I love Grant Holt hes a funny person and he likes a scrap on the park his goals will come, hope we extend his contract at the end of the season.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

monktonharp
13-02-2017, 10:44 AM
I thought he was good as well. Not intimidated in the slightest and stood up for himself and some of the other players when required. Well played.he is a big guy, to try and intimidate to be fair. done a good job yesterday and was unlucky not to connect with Jason's cross pass near the end.

Spike Mandela
13-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Hear what you are saying but he gave the Hearts goalie plenty rest. Don't think the big man has a goal in him these days.

Vini1875
13-02-2017, 10:48 AM
Holt was good yesterday, but a centre forward with no goal threat is not very useful. We could have a centre half in there barging into people. He had three good chances to score but could not direct the ball on target. Whether it is pace, age, guile or confidence he has to do something different because he contributes very little.

Lago
13-02-2017, 11:06 AM
Hear what you are saying but he gave the Hearts goalie plenty rest. Don't think the big man has a goal in him these days.
We'll see.

worcesterhibby
13-02-2017, 11:06 AM
Reminds me of Craig Brewster in his time with Hibs..Very good hold-up play, nice lay-offs, but just lacking a yard or two of pace and seemingly unable to score.

Smartie
13-02-2017, 11:26 AM
I'm a big fan of Holt, we look much better as a team when he plays.

All of our strikers seem to have an achilles heel though and with Holt it is his lack of goals.

This is more of a problem when we play the diamond, as there aren't many players who get into advanced enough positions who can make up for his lack of goals and it heaps pressure on Cummings (not that he probably minds).

Holt doesn't look like he wants to score at times. When Cummings gets the ball, all he's normally thinking about is scoring, sometimes to our detriment. But Holt looks like he doesn't want to get his laces through it (he's more interested when the ball is in the air right enough).

Lennon's biggest challenge is getting enough goals from our forward line and I just don't know what combination of players will be most effective. I think we'll have enough about us to get over the line in the league, but I think we might fall bit short when we come up against quality in the cup (which HMFC most certainly are not).

I thought we should have signed a striker in the window.

BoltonHibee
13-02-2017, 11:28 AM
his work rate yesterday was very good, but he is everywhere you don't want your centre forward to be.

HappyHanlon
13-02-2017, 11:30 AM
Watch him prior to Cumming sticking the ball across the face of goal. Bursts a gut to get into the box and was unlucky not to get that shot on target. He put one helluva shift in yesterday and I thought we looked a bit toothless when he went off.

FromTheCapital
13-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Holt is two or three times the player Graham is.

neil7908
13-02-2017, 11:42 AM
I've been disappointed in him but after coming on against Ayr he was pivotal in changing the game and was a real menace yesterday.

I do think though that for all his good work we need another forward who can find the back of the net consistently.

Some big decisions in the summer but if we get promoted as expected I'd be wanting to add another forward who hits the back of the net more often.

snooky
13-02-2017, 11:46 AM
he is a big guy, to try and intimidate to be fair. done a good job yesterday and was unlucky not to connect with Jason's cross pass near the end.

Surprised he never ran from the outset to a more central position in the box. He would have given himself a much better angle to get his shot on target.

BoltonHibee
13-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Watch him prior to Cumming sticking the ball across the face of goal. Bursts a gut to get into the box and was unlucky not to get that shot on target. He put one helluva shift in yesterday and I thought we looked a bit toothless when he went off.

He did bust a gut to get there, but his starting position was 15 yards inside his own half when Cummings had the ball inside the 18 yard box. That's not right.

Andy74
13-02-2017, 12:32 PM
He did bust a gut to get there, but his starting position was 15 yards inside his own half when Cummings had the ball inside the 18 yard box. That's not right.

With a guy like Holt you have to take what he gives you and accept that it has limitations. We could play Keatings up there and he would run all day and get in positions but we might never have the ball because their defenders are strolling it when we get it forward.

Holt has to manage where and when he commits and has decent enough experience to do that. He's not always going to call it right or be in the right place.

Bishop Hibee
13-02-2017, 12:36 PM
Can't fault his effort and he linked up well but a striker who never scores is hardly ideal. Graham on the other hand looks more likely to score in my opinion but his link up play is poor. Cummings is the one I feel sorry for. Imagine how many goals he'd have scored with an O'Connor, Fletcher or Riordan alongside him.

Centre Hawf
13-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Ive given Holt plenty grief but I'm seeing elements of his game that are very useful, especially against that lot. He was combatitive in many areas of the park. His link up play is actually looking a lot better and while he still at the moment can't hit a coo's erchie with a banjo i think he's proving to have some uses. He's also fair better than Graham.

I would actually consider having him tip of the diamond, not because he's a beautiful silky number 10 but his first touch and hold up play are very nice and he seems to find the right run from Jase on occasions. Could allow Keats/Boyle to move up front.

BoltonHibee
13-02-2017, 12:40 PM
With a guy like Holt you have to take what he gives you and accept that it has limitations. We could play Keatings up there and he would run all day and get in positions but we might never have the ball because their defenders are strolling it when we get it forward.

Holt has to manage where and when he commits and has decent enough experience to do that. He's not always going to call it right or be in the right place.

He's too often in the wrong areas for me Andy. I'd rather he was making a nuisance of himself in the 18 yard box or at least the final 1/3 of the pitch. This isn't anything new with Holt as this has been a criticism levelled against him at other clubs. I thing Cummings is quite isolated at times.

Smartie
13-02-2017, 12:44 PM
Ive given Holt plenty grief but I'm seeing elements of his game that are very useful, especially against that lot. He was combatitive in many areas of the park. His link up play is actually looking a lot better and while he still at the moment can't hit a coo's erchie with a banjo i think he's proving to have some uses. He's also fair better than Graham.

I would actually consider having him tip of the diamond, not because he's a beautiful silky number 10 but his first touch and hold up play are very nice and he seems to find the right run from Jase on occasions. Could allow Keats/Boyle to move up front.

I think that most weeks you'd be wanting the player at the top of the diamond to get ahead of the strikers, but keatings seemed to be doing a particular defensive job there yesterday.

Blaming Holt for taking up the positions he does misses the point a bit for me - when a striker drops off it can be hard for defenders to know who to pick up, and he can do some great work dropping a bit deeper.

The problem arises when nobody gets beyond him, and we have struggled to do that at times, although Boyle could be made for this role.

There's no doubt that Cummings gets isolated at times. He's not suited to playing up front on his own but he's made as decent a fist of it as could ever be expected.

JackLadd
13-02-2017, 12:46 PM
I know he's past prime but Holt's finishing isn't really what you'd expect from a guy with his pedigree in England, my one gripe about him. I think part of it is his conditioning. You look at Miller at 37 and he's still a fighting weight butchers dog.

Centre Hawf
13-02-2017, 01:17 PM
I think that most weeks you'd be wanting the player at the top of the diamond to get ahead of the strikers, but keatings seemed to be doing a particular defensive job there yesterday.

Blaming Holt for taking up the positions he does misses the point a bit for me - when a striker drops off it can be hard for defenders to know who to pick up, and he can do some great work dropping a bit deeper.

The problem arises when nobody gets beyond him, and we have struggled to do that at times, although Boyle could be made for this role.

There's no doubt that Cummings gets isolated at times. He's not suited to playing up front on his own but he's made as decent a fist of it as could ever be expected.

I think the Tip of the diamond would work for him in that regard. Boyle and Cummings like to go wide and into the channels. Allowing him to maybe get into the box and use his presence. Just a thought.

Hi Heid Yin
13-02-2017, 07:34 PM
Yes, he's lost a yard of pace and his goals tally is not impressive, but he brings grit, fight and determination to our side. We need a bullying, jostling front man like him as we are otherwise pretty tame up front.
I like Holt and see him as irreplaceable at this time as no one else in our squad does what he does or even comes close to it.

bigwheel
13-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Yes, he's lost a yard of pace and his goals tally is not impressive, but he brings grit, fight and determination to our side. We need a bullying, jostling front man like him as we are otherwise pretty tame up front.
I like Holt and see him as irreplaceable at this time as no one else in our squad does what he does or even comes close to it.

i agree with a lot of that...but his main role is to make or score goals...and he needs a better return...our "goals for" rate is not enough, He should be hitting 10+ goals easy for us - even at his age. Needs to start scoring to keep starting imho...

Hi Heid Yin
13-02-2017, 07:45 PM
i agree with a lot of that...but his main role is to make or score goals...and he needs a better return...our "goals for" rate is not enough, He should be hitting 10+ goals easy for us - even at his age. Needs to start scoring to keep starting imho...

I used to assume this but now no longer. I think Lennon puts him up front to create havoc and mayhem and pull defenders out of position for others like Cummings and Boyle and our shot-shy midfielders to take advantage of.
Our goals tally out-with Cummings is poor to say the least. Holt is not alone in failing to hit the back of the net more regularly. McGinn, for example, has the pace and the skill to run at defenders, take them on and beat them, as he demonstrated in that classic goal against Dundee united in his comeback game, but he does this rarely - an aspect of his game that Lennon, I'm sure, is all too aware of.

Nakedmanoncrack
13-02-2017, 07:50 PM
I know he's past prime but Holt's finishing isn't really what you'd expect from a guy with his pedigree in England, my one gripe about him. I think part of it is his conditioning. You look at Miller at 37 and he's still a fighting weight butchers dog.

:agree:

bigwheel
13-02-2017, 07:52 PM
I used to assume this but now no longer. I think Lennon puts him up front to create havoc and mayhem and pull defenders out of position for others like Cummings and Boyle and our shot-shy midfielders to take advantage of.
Our goals tally out-with Cummings is poor to say the least. Holt is not alone in failing to hit the back of the net more regularly. McGinn, for example, has the pace and the skill to run at defenders, take them on and beat them, as he demonstrated in that classic goal against Dundee united in his comeback game, but he does this rarely - an aspect of his game that Lennon, I'm sure, is all too aware of.

or is this just post rationalising his lack of goals? I agree others need to step up too..but you can't have one of your main forwards scoring so few. it's not as if he is "Mr Assists" ....

Pedantic_Hibee
13-02-2017, 07:52 PM
Well, for what my humble opinion is worth, I'm delighted he's at Hibs and I'm delighted he played yesterday.

Captain Trips
13-02-2017, 08:01 PM
or is this just post rationalising his lack of goals? I agree others need to step up too..but you can't have one of your main forwards scoring so few. it's not as if he is "Mr Assists" ....

I am just not getting it either, he has from what I have found had 3 assists in league. Yes he brings us something different but IMO he isn't delivering that something different that his inclusion is supposed to bring.

I believe we would still be at least 6pts clear regardless if Keatings or AN Other had played upfront instead of him. Unfortunately for me along with a few other forwards he has been average at best

Mango Man
13-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Would like to see our win ratio with him in the team, compared to being out, we seem to win more with him in.

Smartie
13-02-2017, 08:11 PM
Would like to see our win ratio with him in the team, compared to being out, we seem to win more with him in.

It seems that way to me, which is why I like him.

I couldn't care if he never scores another goal, as long as our team is winning.

Captain Trips
13-02-2017, 08:21 PM

The only 2 league matches we have lost he started, now that is not why we lost but I think the stats of say a less popular player like Brian Graham may have a better ratio but again swings and roundabouts as no forward apart from Jason for me has done enough.

Holt is not IMO as important or as vital as many seem to think he is no more or less important than any of our other forwards. All about opinions though and for me Holt and others have for me not stood out for a claim to start matches over one another.

Hibs are and will continue to win regardless of who else plays upfront. As long as Cummings is up there for sure.

wookie70
13-02-2017, 08:24 PM
Thought he was pretty good yesterday at the game but having watched it back I'm not so sure. No issue with his effort and commitment but that really counts for nothing in my book as I expect that from a professional player. Not convinced his hold up play is as good as many say and there wasn't many examples yesterday. You can see he has been a player but we aren't paying wages for goals scored 5 years ago. He is getting into scoring positions which is good, in fact over the last 4 or 5 games he could easily have scored 3 or 4 goals. He had at least 4 chances, none easy, yesterday and never hit the target or even came close. He looks to me that he has got to the point where he is almost scared to have a shot. The one he passed to Jason yesterday being a good example. He desperately needs a goal and he may go on a wee run if he gets one. Saying all that he does pull centre halves wide and creates channels for Jason. I would probably start with him but I really think Graham deserves some game time. He has hardly had a sniff and I would give him 30 minutes on Saturday at least.

matty_f
13-02-2017, 08:44 PM
Well, for what my humble opinion is worth, I'm delighted he's at Hibs and I'm delighted he played yesterday.

That's where I am as well. In genuinely perplexed when people don't rate him. I think we are a much better team when he plays.

wookie70
13-02-2017, 08:53 PM
The only 2 league matches we have lost he started, now that is not why we lost but I think the stats of say a less popular player like Brian Graham may have a better ratio but again swings and roundabouts as no forward apart from Jason for me has done enough.
I had a look a week or two back and there is nothing in it in terms of points scored when Holt starts or doesn't.

MikeyS
13-02-2017, 09:37 PM
I am just not getting it either, he has from what I have found had 3 assists in league. Yes he brings us something different but IMO he isn't delivering that something different that his inclusion is supposed to bring.

I believe we would still be at least 6pts clear regardless if Keatings or AN Other had played upfront instead of him. Unfortunately for me along with a few other forwards he has been average at best

Assist stats don't paint the whole picture though. I've seen him provide plenty opportunity for others whose finishing has then been poor, Jason being a prime example yesterday towards the end of the first half.

His own goal return however has been disappointing.

cmcd
13-02-2017, 09:40 PM

Holt is not IMO as important or as vital as many seem to think he is no more or less important than any of our other forwards. All about opinions though and for me Holt and others have for me not stood out for a claim to start matches over one another.

Hibs are and will continue to win regardless of who else plays upfront. As long as Cummings is up there for sure.

In my opinion you are wrong. Jason plays better beside Holt who speaks and encourages him all game .Lennon plays him for a reason

neil7908
13-02-2017, 09:40 PM
That's where I am as well. In genuinely perplexed when people don't rate him. I think we are a much better team when he plays.

I think he makes us a better team in a certain type of game. We need a big physical presence sometimes and he's a level above Graham in terms of his skill and movement.

I still haven't been hugely impressed by him. Not to labour the point but he's a centre forward playing in the Scottish second tier and his goalscoring record is poor. Yes he brings folk into the game and battles but I was hoping for more out of him.

We're far too reliant on Jason for goals. I'd be looking for someone to come in during the summer, regardless of what league we're in and add a few more goals to our forward line.

13-02-2017, 09:51 PM
In my opinion you are wrong. Jason plays better beside Holt who speaks and encourages him all game .Lennon plays him for a reason
I agree with this completley. Jason needs an older person guiding him. I seen on sunday he had a word with him when he kept going over to the jambos in wheatfield. Holt does jason alot of good and i think jason feels more comfertable with Holt being his upfront partner

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Just Jimmy
13-02-2017, 09:55 PM
Trying hard, especially in a derby is the bare minimum. Not enough goals and he missed the best chance hibs had in the game. Had he put cummings in like that we would have been through already.

I don't dislike him but he has to do more. More goals and more assists. I might be wrong but i don't think he's scored since October?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

wookie70
13-02-2017, 10:30 PM
No doubt Holt could pass on a few tips to Jason but I also feel Holt could lean a few things from Jason. Playing closer to the goals and hitting the target for example.

blackpoolhibs
14-02-2017, 06:24 AM
No doubt Holt could pass on a few tips to Jason but I also feel Holt could lean a few things from Jason. Playing closer to the goals and hitting the target for example.

:tee hee: For me he's had a poor season, cant score and cant even jump for a ball, and as for holding the ball up well to be perfectly honest, he has not.

Yet saying that, the last two games in my opinion he's been terrific, he's came off the bench and played how i like my big bustling centre forward to play, like he did against Ayr.

And again on Sunday, he gave their back 4 and especially their two central defenders a good battle and gave them something to think about all game until he went off.

If he could have done this all season, we'd all be praising him. I dont think he has, and thats why i dont think he's been worth the bother.

Maybe its because we play against a packed defence every week, perhaps its because of our slow build up, but he's probably more suited to playing against better teams that will do more than just park the bus and hit us on the break?

aussie_hibee
14-02-2017, 06:30 AM

Exactly what I've been wondering.
I'd be quietly confident we have a better record when he starts.

He doesn't score a lot but he gets us higher up the park and definitely keeps opposition defences occupied.

JimBHibees
14-02-2017, 07:36 AM

Agree think we look more dangerous with him in the team. Recent game against Ayr perfect example.

Ozyhibby
14-02-2017, 08:11 AM
Agree think we look more dangerous with him in the team. Recent game against Ayr perfect example.

We might 'look' more dangerous but we're not. The stats show no difference whether Holt plays or not. We don't score enough goals either way. All that bustling and bullying of defenders does not bring us anymore goals than if Keatings was in there.
Holt is making James Collins look prolific. And Collins was in the top tier with a terrible team behind him.
I thought he had a decent game on Sunday but let's face it, he's not good enough.
He is likeable character and fans like to see players get stuck in but the reality is he is a number 9 who can't score goals and doesn't help creat more either.

tamig
14-02-2017, 08:20 AM

Holt was crucial to the way we played on Sunday. If he hadn't been there, the ball would have come back straight to us every time we tried to get up the park. His hold up play is excellent and he was in their faces all over the pitch. I don't think we have another player who can play that role. Brian Graham is decent but he doesn't possess Holt's work rate or the same ability to play with his back to goal.

Smartie
14-02-2017, 08:21 AM
We might 'look' more dangerous but we're not. The stats show no difference whether Holt plays or not. We don't score enough goals either way. All that bustling and bullying of defenders does not bring us anymore goals than if Keatings was in there.
Holt is making James Collins look prolific. And Collins was in the top tier with a terrible team behind him.
I thought he had a decent game on Sunday but let's face it, he's not good enough.
He is likeable character and fans like to see players get stuck in but the reality is he is a number 9 who can't score goals and doesn't help creat more either.

So how would you compare the contributions that Keatings and Holt made playing in that role against Ayr United?

Keatings was lost playing up there on his own, and we looked better as soon as Holt came on. He won headers, plays a few great balls in behind the defence, carried an aerial threat and was unlucky not to score.

The defence never gets a clean header away with Holt up there.

Keatings was bullied and was ineffectual.

We'd all like to see Holt scoring goals and we can't hide from the fact that it is a problem that he's not. But I don't think there is any combination of players that we have in the final third that is more effective than Holt and Cummings.

It does need to be addressed in the summer though, and I think it should have been in January.

JimBHibees
14-02-2017, 08:24 AM

My eyes told me we were a heck of a lot more dangerous. Night and day from the first half.

Brightside
14-02-2017, 08:27 AM

People are idiots. :wink:

AgentDaleCooper
14-02-2017, 08:31 AM
pretty sure brian graham's goals-to-minutes ratio is pretty much the same as jason cummings, around a goal per 100 mins on the park...even if this is the case though, he's not very inspiring somehow...he doesn't seem to offer much other than nicking goals, and when jason is capable of being a passenger at times, we can't really afford our other striker to be the same...i'm not really sure though, something tells me he would score goals for fun in this league. not a chance we'd keep him for the top league though.

Ozyhibby
14-02-2017, 08:44 AM
So how would you compare the contributions that Keatings and Holt made playing in that role against Ayr United?

Keatings was lost playing up there on his own, and we looked better as soon as Holt came on. He won headers, plays a few great balls in behind the defence, carried an aerial threat and was unlucky not to score.

The defence never gets a clean header away with Holt up there.

Keatings was bullied and was ineffectual.

We'd all like to see Holt scoring goals and we can't hide from the fact that it is a problem that he's not. But I don't think there is any combination of players that we have in the final third that is more effective than Holt and Cummings.

It does need to be addressed in the summer though, and I think it should have been in January.

I wasn't really making a case for Keatings. I just used him as an example.
I can see the need for a striker who plays up beside the centre half's and can give them a hard time, creating space for others etc but he needs to be able to chip in with a goal or an assist every now and again.

Ozyhibby
14-02-2017, 08:51 AM
Holt is what we have now till the end of the season so we just have to get on with it. The time to sort it was January and we failed to do it.
I fully expect his contract not to be renewed and we will be looking for a new striker for the premiership.

keep the faith
14-02-2017, 09:39 AM
Holt is what we have now till the end of the season so we just have to get on with it. The time to sort it was January and we failed to do it.
I fully expect his contract not to be renewed and we will be looking for a new striker for the premiership.

Very happy to "get on with it" and have a player of Holts ability and effort. He will have a big part to play this season.

cmcd
14-02-2017, 07:13 PM

I realise there are posters on here who have no idea about the game and how it should be played .The thing is that it's the same posters over and over again. I for one think Grant Holt is a good footballer who gives his all in every game.Yes he is not prolific but contrary to what some may say he does all the dirty work . I'm sure Cummings appreciates having him in the team . On Sunday every Hibs player gave their all so let's get behind them all instead of the constant criticism

Captain Trips
14-02-2017, 07:35 PM
I realise there are posters on here who have no idea about the game and how it should be played .The thing is that it's the same posters over and over again. I for one think Grant Holt is a good footballer who gives his all in every game.Yes he is not prolific but contrary to what some may say he does all the dirty work . I'm sure Cummings appreciates having him in the team . On Sunday every Hibs player gave their all so let's get behind them all instead of the constant criticism

Im sure those posters will be enlightened.

B.H.F.C
14-02-2017, 07:35 PM
He's contributed well in certain games. Mostly when it's just been a bit of a battle. Sunday I thought he was good. He came on and contributed well a few weeks ago at Dumbarton to help us see the game out. The two away games at Falkirk as well.

However, our biggest problem is scoring goals. Our number 9 is sitting on 3 goals at this point in the season so I don't think he's been any better than average.

One thing I will say is, that on Sunday and against Ayr when he came on, he at least got in to a few decent positions. For me, he hasn't done that nearly enough and spends far too much time outside the box.

blackpoolhibs
14-02-2017, 07:38 PM
He's contributed well in certain games. Mostly when it's just been a bit of a battle. Sunday I thought he was good. He came on and contributed well a few weeks ago at Dumbarton to help us see the game out. The two away games at Falkirk as well.

However, our biggest problem is scoring goals. Our number 9 is sitting on 3 goals at this point in the season so I don't think he's been any better than average.

One thing I will say is, that on Sunday and against Ayr when he came on, he at least got in to a few decent positions. For me, he hasn't done that nearly enough and spends far too much time outside the box.

My thoughts exactly, and its funny how we all keep hearing how we need more goals from others in the team apart from Cummings, yet Holt seems immune to this now?

If he continues to play like he has the last couple of weeks, i will be happy, even happier if he can score a few too.

H18 SFR
14-02-2017, 07:51 PM
The guy next to me at Tynie said he'd been Tom Kite all season then later shared that it was only his 3rd time at a Hibs game all season, maybe the Holt doubters are in his boat? :thumbsup:

H18 SFR
14-02-2017, 08:07 PM
The guy next to me at Tynie said he'd been Tom Kite all season then later shared that it was only his 3rd time at a Hibs game all season, maybe the Holt doubters are in his boat? :thumbsup:

Hiber-nation
14-02-2017, 08:16 PM

Don't see how anyone could argue with that. I love the big man's effort and hold up play but he just doesn't score goals.

Captain Trips
14-02-2017, 08:17 PM

If you do not rate Holt as highly as others it seems some think you dont know much about football or dont go to games. Can you just not think he isnt as good as you think without the patronising nonsense?

I think he is average and no better than our other forwards but manage to respect that others disagree. I can easily say then if you think Holt is good you cant go to games or know much about football but I don't as that is utter pish along with patronising nonsense if you have a different view.

cmcd
14-02-2017, 08:57 PM
If you do not rate Holt as highly as others it seems some think you dont know much about football or dont go to games. Can you just not think he isnt as good as you think without the patronising nonsense?

I think he is average and no better than our other forwards but manage to respect that others disagree. I can easily say then if you think Holt is good you cant go to games or know much about football but I don't as that is utter pish along with patronising nonsense if you have a different view.
At the end of the day the manager knows better than you and I
. Lennon plays him because he knows what he brings to the table.I appreciate that everyone has opinions but some of the comments on here are over the top. Once again only my opinion

Ozyhibby
14-02-2017, 08:57 PM

Calling people idiots is getting quite common on here if they hold an opposing view. Best to just ignore.

Captain Trips
14-02-2017, 09:02 PM
At the end of the day the manager knows better than you and I
. Lennon plays him because he knows what he brings to the table.I appreciate that everyone has opinions but some of the comments on here are over the top. Once again only my opinion

The only OTT stuff on here is the attitude to folk who do not rate him as highly as others.

California-Hibs
14-02-2017, 11:40 PM
The guys gonna score the winner in the replay you watch!

basehibby
15-02-2017, 12:06 AM
:tee hee: For me he's had a poor season, cant score and cant even jump for a ball, and as for holding the ball up well to be perfectly honest, he has not.

Yet saying that, the last two games in my opinion he's been terrific, he's came off the bench and played how i like my big bustling centre forward to play, like he did against Ayr.

And again on Sunday, he gave their back 4 and especially their two central defenders a good battle and gave them something to think about all game until he went off.

If he could have done this all season, we'd all be praising him. I dont think he has, and thats why i dont think he's been worth the bother.

Maybe its because we play against a packed defence every week, perhaps its because of our slow build up, but he's probably more suited to playing against better teams that will do more than just park the bus and hit us on the break?

Some good points there Blackpool if a bit harsh at the beginning - Holt's had a few poor games but for the most part has showed a good touch and a solid physical and aerial presence. His goals return has been disappointing but that apart he's been good.

For me our best front pairing is Holt and Cummings - with Holt employing the muscle and guile to give Jason more space to quench his insatiable appetite for goals. For one reason or another I don't think they've played together that often this season - Cummings was consigned to the bench for a spell with Holt in and out. But give them a run together and I think the goals will keep coming for Cummings and Holt will get into his stride and bang a good few away as well.

Keatings, Boyle and Graham give us some great options - particularly when pace is needed - but for me Cummings and Holt up front are the most potent blend at our disposal right now.

Captain Trips
15-02-2017, 08:32 AM

I hope he does.

Ozyhibby
15-02-2017, 08:56 AM

Yes please. Or anyone else for that matter. So long as they are wearing green.

Johnny Clash
15-02-2017, 08:58 AM

That would be great. I think he deserves it . I like his attitude.

Vault Boy
15-02-2017, 10:17 AM
I'm still annoyed that I haven't bumped into big Grant in Norwich. I've met Cameron Jerome, Kyle Lafferty :bitchy:, Alex Tettey and a few other place holders, but no Grant Holt, shocking form.

Big man needs to find his shooting boots, but I like what he brings to the team otherwise. Goals are very important, though.

skyhibs
15-02-2017, 10:22 AM
It's ok for me to think he is a fat huddie then..... he gets a game in the hope that there is a striker in there somewhere.. strikers should bring more to the game than holt ever does.. we need another real striker to put away the chances we are creating most weeks

Thecat23
15-02-2017, 10:27 AM
It's ok for me to think he is a fat huddie then..... he gets a game in the hope that there is a striker in there somewhere.. strikers should bring more to the game than holt ever does.. we need another real striker to put away the chances we are creating most weeks

Have a word eh. He's far from "A fat huddle" his hold up play and helping Jason is extremely good!

Brightside
15-02-2017, 11:36 AM

8 posts and this is one of them.... have a word eh.

WeeRussell
15-02-2017, 11:41 AM

It's strange isn't it? I used to think I knew a fair bit about football given my experience playing and spectating. Now I wonder if I know ANYTHING as I don't rate Grant Holt.

The more someone is immobile and doesn't score goals or win headers, the bigger the knowledge gap gets between folk who know and folk who haven't a clue about football.

I'll add to the hoping he scores the winner against them next week though. Oh.. and I also thought he had a decent game in the away tie :agree:

Captain Trips
15-02-2017, 11:54 AM
It's strange isn't it? I used to think I knew a fair bit about football given my experience playing and spectating. Now I wonder if I know ANYTHING as I don't rate Grant Holt.

The more someone is immobile and doesn't score goals or win headers, the bigger the knowledge gap gets between folk who know and folk who haven't a clue about football.

I'll add to the hoping he scores the winner against them next week though. Oh.. and I also thought he had a decent game in the away tie :agree:

Im sure you will be educated on this.

Andy74
15-02-2017, 12:03 PM

No, the knowledge gap appears when you say stuff like immobile and doesn't win headers...

That's not really true is it?

Captain Trips
15-02-2017, 12:10 PM
No, the knowledge gap appears when you say stuff like immobile and doesn't win headers...

I think it is to a point, I have been disappointed with his all round contribution in the air and on deck but as I have stated he is no worse than our other options but for me is no better. This he offers us something different thing well yeah we can play it long but when Holt is playing we can say well Keatings/Graham etc offer us something different.

I would say 3 league goals and 3 assists (I believe) for me anyway warrants the questions being asked.

ancient hibee
15-02-2017, 03:51 PM
In the first game of the season at Falkirk Holt was closely involved in both goals that Cummings scored.I don't really remember others such as Keatings and Graham linking up with Cummings to any great effect.

Baldy Foghorn
15-02-2017, 03:54 PM
I like Holt, clever player who links up well, and can hold his own.

Seem to remember Malonga getting stick, but boy did we miss him when he left. Think Holt is a great foil for JC, and probably missed more when not playing IMO

FC Leige
15-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Do we want a striker like Holt who will rough up the Hearts centre half's but probably wont score or a player like Graham who is not nearly as robust but can put the ball in the net?

WeeRussell
15-02-2017, 04:16 PM

"The more"

Yes he's won a header since he got here. I don't think he wins an awful lot (personally I think he spends more time grappling and falling over wanting a foul than he does jumping to win the ball) for a fairly big guy and for someone who is definitely less mobile than our other options. Just like he doesn't score an awful lot of goals. And the more this happens, the more we're idiots for not seeing all the fantastic other stuff he is doing.

Like I said I thought he had a decent game against Hearts, I want him to do well, I've been wanting it all season. But it is okay for some people to think he's not all that great.

I didn't mean for that to turn into a slagging of the guy.. honest. I don't rate Brian Graham very highly either - but have never had to explain myself as I don't feel there's the same attitude as there is towards people who point out that Holt ain't all that.

wookie70
15-02-2017, 04:26 PM
Do we want a striker like Holt who will rough up the Hearts centre half's but probably wont score or a player like Graham who is not nearly as robust but can put the ball in the net?

Cummings was outsprinting the Hearts defense to most of the balls into channels. The big problem was when he got it he was the only player we had in their half. Holt may well do lots of his best work at the half way line because that is what Lennon has asked him to do. If it is, then we could stick with him as he is doing an ok job, or we could just play another midfielder instead, like Dylan, and hope his quality can make some time for SJM and Keats to get up in support of Jason. However, if Holt is there to support Jason and play as a pair I might be inclined to play Boyle as his pace would scare their defense. Boyle works very hard and can be a nuisance in a different way to Holt. Play balls low into areas rather than humped up to the head of Holt and make sure our front two know the plan and make the run to give us the best chance of getting their first.

JK Rolling
15-02-2017, 04:32 PM
Can't fault his effort but he's nowhere near good enough on a regular basis.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
15-02-2017, 04:39 PM
I quite like him, but i would have to admit he hasnt offered as much as i thought he would.

However, ive said all season that we do seem to play better when he is the team.

That might be coincidence, i dont know but i think him amd JC are our best partership, followed by him and boyle as our second best.

Captain Trips
15-02-2017, 05:37 PM
In the first game of the season at Falkirk Holt was closely involved in both goals that Cummings scored.I don't really remember others such as Keatings and Graham linking up with Cummings to any great effect.

You mention one game should by this stage not be several occasions of this happening remembered with ease? Cummings has scored as well you know without Holt. Humphrey was "closely involved" in Cummings brace v Dundee Utd so there is one game also . I do not think anyone is saying he doesn't do things but IMO he doesn't do enough but neither does Keatings or Graham.

When 2 players play up front they will naturally create space for one another at times. The problem for me is nobody else has done enough IMo for me to say they have been good. Keats, Graham and Holt have in the main been average at best this term.

For me 3 goals in the amount of games he has played isn't that good and taking into consideration the other things he offers has not been enough. I'm not getting this we play better with him in team, we play no better or worse regardless who is upfront with Cummings. It just seems to be getting made out he makes more of difference than the reality. When Holt has not been picked we have not lost any of those matches.

My biggest disappointment regarding our forwards this season has been Keats I thought he would kick on this season and be doing a lot better.

Smartie
15-02-2017, 06:08 PM
You mention one game should by this stage not be several occasions of this happening remembered with ease? Cummings has scored as well you know without Holt. Humphrey was "closely involved" in Cummings brace v Dundee Utd so there is one game also . I do not think anyone is saying he doesn't do things but IMO he doesn't do enough but neither does Keatings or Graham.

When 2 players play up front they will naturally create space for one another at times. The problem for me is nobody else has done enough IMo for me to say they have been good. Keats, Graham and Holt have in the main been average at best this term.

For me 3 goals in the amount of games he has played isn't that good and taking into consideration the other things he offers has not been enough. I'm not getting this we play better with him in team, we play no better or worse regardless who is upfront with Cummings. It just seems to be getting made out he makes more of difference than the reality. When Holt has not been picked we have not lost any of those matches.

My biggest disappointment regarding our forwards this season has been Keats I thought he would kick on this season and be doing a lot better.

He looked like he was just about to, but he got injured just as he was starting to play really well.

Keats hasn't really found a role. He's kind of shoehorned into the tip of the diamond, where he does ok but he doesn't look like a natural number 10 to me.

I think Keatings and Holt would be almost as good as Holt and Cummings and about the same as Holt and Boyle.

None are ideal but all are almost acceptable but I'd say that all combinations would be superior to any combination not including Holt.