PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding the Result All Day

hibsbollah
13-02-2017, 07:56 AM
Yesterday from 12:30pm until Sportscene at 11:45pm I turned off all Internet connection, avoided looking at fans streaming past me at 2:30pm, managed to spend all day in town negotiating three pubs, two restaurants, a cinema and a talkative taxi driver before settling down to watch the highlights pished, eleven hours later, none the wiser about the score. First time I've ever done it since watching that classic Likely Lads episode all those years ago.

But not again. Your brain plays tricks on you. You keep imagining you can hear jambo songs on the wind the further west you get, and scouring solitary fans faces on their way home gives you clues... Or red herrings?? (that fat ugly jambo is quiet but he also could just be self-satisfied... That pished Hibby was banging a bus shelter window back there, was it in raucous celebration or is he in a rage?)

On Tuesday I'll be in the queue for a ticket. It's just not worth it.

andyf5
13-02-2017, 08:04 AM
Yesterday from 12:30pm until Sportscene at 11:45pm I turned off all Internet connection, avoided looking at fans streaming past me at 2:30pm, managed to spend all day in town negotiating three pubs, two restaurants, a cinema and a talkative taxi driver before settling down to watch the highlights pished, eleven hours later, none the wiser about the score. First time I've ever done it since watching that classic Likely Lads episode all those years ago.

But not again. Your brain plays tricks on you. You keep imagining you can hear jambo songs on the wind the further west you get, and scouring solitary fans faces on their way home gives you clues... Or red herrings?? (that fat ugly jambo is quiet but he also could just be self-satisfied... That pished Hibby was banging a bus shelter window back there, was it in raucous celebration or is he in a rage?)

I did that a few years ago for an Aberdeen Hibs game on BBC Alba delayed transmission. Phones off and all contact with others cut in Likely Lads tradition. Sat down to watch the game only to find Grand Prix on, Checked papers and defo on. Everything in Gaelic so not a clue what was going on. Eventually got through to someone in BBC Stornoway to be told there had been a fire in the TV truck and no game had been recorded. :boo hoo:

iwasthere1972
13-02-2017, 08:52 AM
Did same in 1986 when Scotland got kicked off the park by Uruguay in the World Cup. Managed to avoid the score up until about 11pm when I was finishing work. Only thing is that before I could get home I was speaking to a couple who were just about to let the score about the bag. I told them that I had taped it, didn't know the score, and was just about to watch it. The reply I got was that it's alright as there was no goals.

The Likely Lads. Was it England v Hungary but the match was postponed? Would have been funny if that was the same scenario yesterday. Maybe it should have been when you consider the state of that tattie field they call a pitch.

MacGruber
13-02-2017, 09:20 AM
Did the same last season - radio, tv, phone off, curtains closed. Ignored everything from the 3 o'clock kick offs so I could watch the hibs game as live on alba. Wasn't until after I realised the 5:30 kick off game was live.

iwasthere1972
13-02-2017, 09:22 AM
Did the same last season - radio, tv, phone off, curtains closed. Ignored everything from the 3 o'clock kick offs so I could watch the hibs game as live on alba. Wasn't until after I realised the 5:30 kick off game was live.

:tee hee:

jgl07
13-02-2017, 10:37 AM
Did same in 1986 when Scotland got kicked off the park by Uruguay in the World Cup. Managed to avoid the score up until about 11pm when I was finishing work. Only thing is that before I could get home I was speaking to a couple who were just about to let the score about the bag. I told them that I had taped it, didn't know the score, and was just about to watch it. The reply I got was that it's alright as there was no goals.

The Likely Lads. Was it England v Hungary but the match was postponed? Would have been funny if that was the same scenario yesterday. Maybe it should have been when you consider the state of that tattie field they call a pitch.

No it was Bulgaria v England. They replaced it with ice skating adding insult to injury.

Regarding the first paragraph, I recall many years ago avoiding all news etc so that we could watch Manchester City match of the day as live. We sat down as the match was about to start when my grandfather came back from the pub and put his head around the door before saying 'I see they got beat again'.

iwasthere1972
13-02-2017, 12:23 PM
No it was Bulgaria v England. They replaced it with ice skating adding insult to injury.

Regarding the first paragraph, I recall many years ago avoiding all news etc so that we could watch Manchester City match of the day as live. We sat down as the match was about to start when my grandfather came back from the pub and put his head around the door before saying 'I see they got beat again'.

Your grandfather must have taken the result badly if he put his head through the door.

Pedantic_Hibee
13-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Your grandfather must have taken the result badly if he put his head through the door.

:faf:

G B Young
13-02-2017, 05:04 PM
I've sometimes avoided finding out the score in games until the next day if I've got something else on and don't want to risk souring my mood with news of a defeat. The not knowing is much better than knowing we've lost and if it turns out we won then you kick off the next day on a high.

Hi Heid Yin
13-02-2017, 08:27 PM

:tee hee::tee hee: That fair had me chortling to myself