PDA

View Full Version : Grant Holt

Pete
12-02-2017, 04:39 PM
Thought he worked well today and gave their defenders something to think about. A good foil for JC in the right situation.

He's what Cathro would call a "grown up". It's his first Edinburg derby but he knows the score and looked like he loved it.

I would trust the same two for the replay if we choose a suitable formation.

Hibs Class
12-02-2017, 04:42 PM
:agree: Played well, covered a lot of ground and put himself about. Had a decent half chance from Jason's cross as wel, but didn't look easy.

Baldy Foghorn
12-02-2017, 04:46 PM
Gave their defence a torrid time.....

PPZPOL
12-02-2017, 04:46 PM
:agree: Played well, covered a lot of ground and put himself about. Had a decent half chance from Jason's cross as wel, but didn't look easy.

It would have been easy if he'd got himself up with play a bit quicker.

cleanyman
12-02-2017, 04:50 PM
Works incredibly hard but going forward he offers zilch.

Going forward we were pretty poor today

wookie70
12-02-2017, 04:55 PM
Lots of good work, unfortunately about 40 yards away from oppositions goal. Another chance for a goal went begging too. Can't complain about his effort and did lots of good work today but we really need another striker who looks like scoring.

Lancs Harp
12-02-2017, 04:55 PM
Playing a big man upfront today was the right thing to do IMO given the conditions etc.

Generally especially in home games Im not too sure about playing Holt or Graham, I prefer a more mobile front line. I think we get more out of the likes of McGinn when there is more movement in front of him for him to thread clever little balls to and also creates more space for McGinn to storm into.

Like I said though, horses for courses, Lennon picked the right team today.

LustForLeith
12-02-2017, 04:58 PM
I reckon he'll score against Hearts in the replay

JohnMcM
12-02-2017, 04:59 PM
If only he could jump higher than seventeen inches:wink:

:flag:

shamo9
12-02-2017, 04:59 PM
He's a handful and clever but we're too reliant on Cummings for goals. It's a problem Lennon hasn't managed to solve yet and our watertight defence means it's not too detrimental. A pity extending Commons' loan deal never worked out, having a goalscoring midfielder would be great.

Cummings and Holt are definitely our most effective forward pairing and they'll knock Hearts out in the replay!

Vault Boy
12-02-2017, 05:00 PM
You can see his quality but unfortunately a lot of his attacking moves are an inch or two away from coming off (or 40 yards when Cummings had the ball up top on his own :greengrin), quite probably down to losing the cutting edge with age. I like Holty and he certainly brings a lot to the game outwith goals, but he really could do with hitting a couple in the next few weeks, for his confidence more than anything. Would still have him in the team over Graham any day. Think he still has a fair bit more to contribute.

Fife-Hibee
12-02-2017, 05:03 PM
Thought Holty was great today, didn't shirk anything between him and Bartley for motm :) Can't wait for the replay bring it on!!!

traceyhibs
12-02-2017, 05:05 PM
Agree re Holt and think his contribution in games goes unnoticed. Would be great to see his hard work convert to a goal also. Felt Lennon got it right from the off today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OxoHibby
12-02-2017, 05:06 PM
If only he could jump higher than seventeen inches:wink:

:flag:

Did he mananage to jump that high today? Was like he was wearing super gravity boots

gazzag70
12-02-2017, 05:08 PM
Holt put in a really good shift. There is a large worry though that for a no 9 he hardly ever scores .

Ich liebe Deek
12-02-2017, 06:11 PM
Why did he not let fly instead of slipping in Cummings just before ht?Seems like he's forgotten he's a striker.

Golden Bear
12-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Slowly but surely this thread will gradually produce some negative posts depite today's outstanding team performance.

:greengrin

bingo70
12-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Why did he not let fly instead of slipping in Cummings just before ht?Seems like he's forgotten he's a striker.

There was a defender directly in front of him and he probably recognised he's not quick enough to shift it to one side and get the shot away.

It's also worth remembering it's much easier for us to see all his options from the stand or the tv, at the time he had a split second decision to make after bursting through a tackle. He may have got the choice wrong but I'm not going to be too harsh on him for that one.

JohnM1875
12-02-2017, 06:18 PM
Slowly but surely this thread will gradually produce some negative posts about today's outstanding team performance.

Haha totally. He's a player who polarises opinion. Unbelievable shift he put in today. And, to be fair, he always does! But there will always be folk who moan about lack of goals. And to be fair we get away with it due to the league we're in.

matty_f
12-02-2017, 06:18 PM
There was a defender directly in front of him and he probably recognised he's not quick enough to shift it to one side and get the shot away.

It's also worth remembering it's much easier for us to see all his options from the stand or the tv, at the time he had a split second decision to make after bursting through a tackle. He may have got the choice wrong but I'm not going to be too harsh on him for that one.

I thought he made the right choice.

Holt was very good today, was in their faces from the start and worked his socks off. Close second to Bartley as MotM for me.

blackpoolhibs
12-02-2017, 06:23 PM
I thought he was terrific today, thats twice in the last fortnight i've said that. If he plays like that then theres no argument about him.:top marks

Hi Heid Yin
12-02-2017, 06:24 PM
I thought he made the right choice.

Holt was very good today, was in their faces from the start and worked his socks off. Close second to Bartley as MotM for me.

:top marks

JackLadd
12-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Did put in a shift. Could still do with losing a few pounds though.

MWHIBBIES
12-02-2017, 06:26 PM
I really wish Keatings would score the goals he is capable of. He needs to be more of a killer even when playing behind Holt and Jason. Next 3 games are massive, could do with our forwards scoring some goals.

JohnM1875
12-02-2017, 06:26 PM
Did put in a shift. Could still do with losing a few pounds though.

Say that to the misses after session as well.

Eyrie
12-02-2017, 06:30 PM
Slowly but surely this thread will gradually produce some negative posts depite today's outstanding team performance.

You called? :greengrin

I've been rightly critical of Holt this season for offering very little goal threat but his contribution today was immense and exactly what was required on a pitch like that. He may not have scored but he worked his socks off and never gave an inch.

Ozyhibby
12-02-2017, 07:08 PM
He played very well today but looks as far away from scoring as ever.

3pm
12-02-2017, 07:11 PM
His best performance in a Hibs jersey.

Borderhibbie76
12-02-2017, 08:22 PM
Very harsh...he ran from inside his own half to get on the end of it

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

northstandhibby
12-02-2017, 08:26 PM
His best performance in a Hibs jersey.

This

Thought he stood up very well and put in a real shift today.

glory glory

Libby Hibby
12-02-2017, 08:34 PM
Outstanding today, I felt he really wound them up and got under their skin, well played.

PPZPOL
12-02-2017, 08:42 PM

Took him a few seconds to get moving though when you could see clearly that he needed to support JC. If he'd starting moving just that little bit sooner it would have been a tap in. That's all I was saying.

keep the faith
12-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Brilliant again today from the big man. He makes clever runs that would result in more goals for him if he was still playing with higher standard players.
For instance when he found cummings, ran into the six yard box and Jason elected to shoot.
He should play every week when fit IMO.

NAE NOOKIE
12-02-2017, 08:57 PM
Worked his backside off and got in their faces at every opportunity .... absolutely no complaints about his effort today, he lacks that wee bit of sharpness he might have had 5 years ago which would get him a goal ...... but well done to him, he got it today and that's good enough for me.

JackLadd
12-02-2017, 09:00 PM
Holt did more than okay, even though I still think he's a tad heavy, but I didn't know Graham had 14 goals in 20 Ross County cup games. Maybe Graham is the Yam buster at ER?

Big L
12-02-2017, 09:02 PM

I thought he did really well today, great effort, but he was late getting in to gear for Jason cross ball, if he had got off his mark a bit earlier he would have made it and scored.

Enough said
12-02-2017, 09:03 PM

Nonsense boy done well give him a break

PPZPOL
12-02-2017, 09:23 PM
Nonsense boy done well give him a break

You think it is nonsense, I think he could have been quicker to get up and support, same with Keatings for what it's worth. Perhaps they should have been closer together than they were (JC and GH) when the ball was played in for JC by JK, hindsight though.

Enough said
12-02-2017, 09:32 PM
You think it is nonsense, I think he could have been quicker to get up and support, same with Keatings for what it's worth. Perhaps they should have been closer together than they were (JC and GH) when the ball was played in for JC by JK, hindsight though.

You can't be everywhere. His running and tracking back was outstanding today

vuefrom1875
12-02-2017, 09:36 PM

Now now.. Credit where it's due ⚽

PPZPOL
12-02-2017, 09:39 PM
You can't be everywhere. His running and tracking back was outstanding today

Didn't disagree with that, I know where I'd want my centre forward to be though and that would be higher up the park.

He wasn't tracking back when we broke away at that point either.

calumhibee1
12-02-2017, 09:41 PM
Holt was superb. I've said plenty times this season that while he does bring something to the team, he needs to start scoring or he shouldn't be in it, no matter what else he offers. I'm however starting to sway towards accepting him for what he is and giving up on the goals.. which is very strange to say about a no. 9!

LeithMike
12-02-2017, 09:48 PM
Holt certainly put in a shift but when he got on the ball, Hibs didn't retain possession a whole lot - much of that down to the pitch though. And while he's good at bringing the midfield into play, we don't really have a lot of goals there either. Lennon got it right for today but For the replay, on a better and wider pitch, I'd like to see Hibs go 4-5-1/4-3-3 with Cummings flanked by Boyle/Keatings and Humphrey. The team wasn't set up to score goals today but it certainly wasn't going to give anything away.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Captain Trips
12-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Think I will be going against the grain here, Holt frustrates me. When the play stops or there is some argy barge to be had he is in there looking like the no nonsense attitude and don't mess with me. When IMO it comes to play he gets beat in a lot of 50/50 situations and doesn't come across the same player as the one looking to get involved in any arguments to be had.

Not saying he was good or bad today just beige.

E10 Rifle
12-02-2017, 10:51 PM
He's a really good player. I hope we extend his contract come the season end. To coin an MB phrase 'could (and does) do a job':aok:

ancient hibee
12-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Didn't disagree with that, I know where I'd want my centre forward to be though and that would be higher up the park.

He wasn't tracking back when we broke away at that point either.
He was in fact just outside our penalty area when the ball was sent up the left.He passed three of our much younger players to get on the end of the cross.

overdrive
12-02-2017, 11:01 PM
We are far better team with Holt in it.

Thecat23
12-02-2017, 11:14 PM
Outstanding today, I felt he really wound them up and got under their skin, well played.

Exactly this.

NZ Green
12-02-2017, 11:31 PM
Great game for him, he managed to involve himself in alot of the play, especially in the first half. Its a shame his control of the final ball to put it in the net wasnt quite there, but I think his team communication and involvement made up for it.
Also, I think for the chance Holt had in the second half, he thought Cummings was probably going to run it himself and take a shot - Holt then busted a gut running half the pitch to support him when he realised Cummings wasn't wanting to go it alone.
I really hope he gets his goal soon.

PPZPOL
13-02-2017, 06:51 AM
He was in fact just outside our penalty area when the ball was sent up the left.He passed three of our much younger players to get on the end of the cross.

He was just outside the centre circle in our half and which 3 of our players did he pass?

JimBHibees
13-02-2017, 07:26 AM

Agree played well a really good guy to have in a derby.

flash
13-02-2017, 07:29 AM
Think I will be going against the grain here, Holt frustrates me. When the play stops or there is some argy barge to be had he is in there looking like the no nonsense attitude and don't mess with me. When IMO it comes to play he gets beat in a lot of 50/50 situations and doesn't come across the same player as the one looking to get involved in any arguments to be had.

Not saying he was good or bad today just beige.

Absolute pish.

green day
13-02-2017, 07:42 AM
We are a better team with Holt. He makes space for the team, breaks up their defensive base and generally causes havoc.

Goals scored poor, but he has been a great team player.

Must start with JC in replay.

Aldo
13-02-2017, 07:49 AM

Agreed! He did indeed and he was the only one. No fault at all in that position.

Folk will moan about anything.

Holt was very good today.

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-02-2017, 08:08 AM
He had his most effective game in a Hibs jersey. Maybe we need a reality check with Holt because he is no spring chicken. Which team would not want a forward who can hold the ball up, has the physicality to rumble defenders, good in the air, can get 20 goals a season and has a turn of pace? Not sure such a player exists. Holt has to be played in a game plan that makes sense and makes the best of his abilities.

Heisenberg
13-02-2017, 08:26 AM
Holt is good at what he does. Just a shame his goals have dried up as he's gotten older. He's vital to how we play by the looks of it.

Captain Trips
13-02-2017, 09:40 AM
Absolute pish.

No its not its my opinion you thinking "absolute pish" is neither here nor there.

IMO we would have no less or more points if he was or wasn't here. For me not done enough along with other forward thinking players.

eastmainsmsh
13-02-2017, 10:08 AM
the grant holt of old was goals for Norwich Etc he can still play thought he was super yest

Johnny Clash
13-02-2017, 10:09 AM
His attitude was perfect for the game. I reckon he'll give confidence to less experienced players around him.

Ozyhibby
13-02-2017, 10:19 AM
No its not its my opinion you thinking "absolute pish" is neither here nor there.

IMO we would have no less or more points if he was or wasn't here. For me not done enough along with other forward thinking players.

That's not just your opinion, it's fact. Our goals scored and points per game ratio are roughly the same whether Holt starts or not. Someone done the stats on another thread.
I think he had a good game yesterday but for next season I want our number 9 to be someone who can score goals.